The Blue Line

EHM 1 Database & Saved Game Editor

Discuss all aspects of editing the data in EHM here. Have a question about the Pre Game Editor, editing the .cfg files, hex editing the .dat files? Want to tweak the EHM exe file to change league rules/structure, start date etc? This is the place!
Forum rules
This is the forum to discuss all aspects of editing the EHM data and tweaking the game.

Please note that discussion about roster updates belongs in the Game Add-ons Forum.

Re: EHM 1 Database & Saved Game Editor

Postby nuggett » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:42 am

Is there a Mass Edit button in this version of the editor. I want to clear the history of a DB so I can start a career from scratch.
nuggett
Junior League

Postby Satyr » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:55 am

I can't see my saved database when starting a new game.

I loaded the 9.1 TBL Database, edited soma data, saved it as myname.db, but it does not appear in the 'Import Database' option
Satyr
Fringe Player

Trophies:  1 

Postby archibalduk » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:20 am

Satyr wrote:I can't see my saved database when starting a new game.

I loaded the 9.1 TBL Database, edited soma data, saved it as myname.db, but it does not appear in the 'Import Database' option

The Import Database function is only for converting EHM 2007 to EHM 1 format. You just click on Start New Game and select your edited database. However, I don't know if EHM allows the databases to be called anything other than 'database.db'. So you might need to rename your database and perhaps put it into a separate sub-folder of the 'database' folder.
archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Trophies:  1   2   1

Postby nuggett » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:56 pm

Anything about the Mass Editor that was in previous versions. I cannot find it. Thanks.
nuggett
Junior League

Postby archibalduk » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:27 pm

nuggett wrote:Anything about the Mass Editor that was in previous versions. I cannot find it. Thanks.

No there are no mass edit functions yet.

The best thing to do is to download the Editor and flick through the tabs. This will show you what can and cannot be edited at present.
archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Postby nuggett » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:47 pm

Am I able to clear history. The old version I was able to clear the majority of things as if I was starting from scratch (and very easily done).

Database Editing Question - NHL Records (this was the original thread).

Thanks.
nuggett
Junior League

Postby archibalduk » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:24 pm

No that isn't possible for now. As I say, there are no mass editing functions at present.
archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Postby nuggett » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:30 pm

Thanks. Is it possible to use an older editor to do what I am looking for.
nuggett
Junior League

Postby Satyr » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:15 pm

Found the problem, I have to save and load the 'default' database and not the 9.1 TBL database.
Satyr
Fringe Player

Trophies:  1 

Postby MikelPickle » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:33 pm

MikelPickle wrote:When I change something in the editor (Salary cap, team name, affiliation,etc.), it switches up each players position and randomizes their history.

Wondering if that is a bug or something, or how I can fix it
MikelPickle
Prospect

Postby archibalduk » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:49 pm

MikelPickle wrote:
MikelPickle wrote:When I change something in the editor (Salary cap, team name, affiliation,etc.), it switches up each players position and randomizes their history.

Wondering if that is a bug or something, or how I can fix it

As I mentioned earlier, editing saved games is highly experimental. I added saved game support to the Editor more for the purposes of scouting and tweaking attributes than anything else. Doing anything more than that is likely to result in issues such as the one you have posted.

nuggett wrote:Thanks. Is it possible to use an older editor to do what I am looking for.

You could edit an EHM 2007 format database, make your changes with the Updater and then import into EHM 1.
archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Postby nuggett » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:33 pm

Thanks for your help, but I was looking to do this with the current roster (ie working NCAA). I have this done already for an older roster file.
nuggett
Junior League

Postby archibalduk » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:42 pm

A new version of the Editor is available here (v 0.1.8): viewtopic.php?f=148&t=16014&p=223485#p206841

A BIG THANK YOU to everybody who has reported bugs with the previous version. I believe all issues are resolved in this new release, but let me know if you come across any further issues or think I have not fixed something. Other than bug fixes, the key changes are as follows (a full changelist is set out further below):

- Runtime Data Calculation: This should resolve all of the database-driven Pro Experience and RFA eligibility issues. Any remaining issues are likely to be game bugs or a result of there being insufficient career history data for a particular player (the Runtime Data is based upon career history data). I think the Runtime Data calculation could be improved slightly in terms of what it treats as professional experience and I'll tweak this for the next version. Currently there is no option to disable any elements of Runtime Data calculation - I'll add this when I get round to re-working the Settings screen. FYI the Runtime Data consists of three elements: (1) Player Info tab in the Editor, (2) Date of First NHL Contract and (3) Last Known Club.

- Spreadsheet Import: This is essentially the same as the Updater import function. It is, however, more efficient and more flexible than what we had with the EHM 2007 Updater. I will post a basic guide on how it works later today. Currently there are three types of spreadsheet which can be imported: Clubs, Staff (i.e. players and/or non-players) and Player Career History. The screen is a work in progress and will be tidied up once I have added more settings to the screen, etc. Note that the Import and Export icons are very similar at the moment - I am trying to create an alternative Export icon in order to differentiate between the two.

- High Resolution/DPI Scaling Support: The Editor now supports high resolution displays (such as 1920x1080 and 4k). I haven't had a chance to test the Editor on a lower resolution display yet (I need to dig out my old laptop) and so please let me know if you encounter any resolution/layout issues. The high resolution support is not completely perfect yet - some drop-down menus are slightly cropped and the Stages tabs don't quite fit onto the screen. I'll look into fixing these later as they are very minor cosmetic issues.

CHANGELIST: VERSION 0.1.8 (23-Apr-2017)

New Features:

• Added club spreadsheet editing/importing;
  • Added draft history exporting;
  • Added player career history spreadsheet editing/importing;
  • Added staff (player/non-player) spreadsheet editing/importing;
  • Added runtime data calculation; and
  • Added support for high resolutions (e.g. 1920x1080, 4k, etc).

Fixes and Improvements:

• A nationality selection dialog is now displayed when adding a name to a Player Record or Staff Awards History which has no nationality;
  • Added additional text flags for use with importer spreadsheets;
  • Added approximate age to the Staff editing screen;
  • Added extra logging information when loading and saving databases;
  • Added draft history validation;
  • Adding new names via Player Records and Staff Awards History will use existing names where possible;
  • Corrected "Club limited to use natural domestic players only" extra rule setting to an integer type;
  • Date and day names are now fixed to English language to ensure compatibility of spreadsheets between different user locales;
  • Disabled ability to save EHM 200x databases as EHM 1 databases and vice-versa;
  • Fixed Stage Name setting on the Stages -> Structures screen so that it now correctly shows the stage names;
  • Fixed tooltip and status tip displayed for the Save button;
  • Removed hard-coded default conversion settings for EHM 2005 to 2007 conversion in order to improve compilation time and the size of the application;
  • State and nation abbreviations are now displayed alongside city names within the various Editor screens; and
  • Transfer Window Index and Start Date are now correctly set when adding new Deadline Dates and when saving the database.
archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Postby archibalduk » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:45 pm

I'm hoping this latest release of the Editor is in near suitable form for using with the TBL Rosters project. This would allow us to permanently move the master database from EHM 2007 format to the EHM 1 format. However, before we do so, we need to ensure that the Editor is bug-free and that the importer functions work exactly as they should. Therefore the importer functions need some thorough testing. I posted about this some time back in the Researchers' Forum but had zero interest/responses and so I'm hoping by posting here there might be at least one or two people who are interested in helping. If anybody does end up trying out the importer functions then let me know how they go. I really need people to try and break the functions so that can identify any bugs or anything that isn't working as it should (or if there is anything missing). To help anybody out with testing, I have posted a small guide below on how to use the importer functions. The guide assumes at least some basic working knowledge of the EHM 2007 Updater import functions.

Templates
To create the spreadsheet templates, click on Tools -> Import Spreadsheet -> Create templates.

Alternatively, you can download the templates with some example data HERE. When you download the zip file, you will find two sub-folders (one is Canada, UK and USA and the other is rest of world). Select the sub-folder according to the language/region of your Windows installation.

I highly recommend downloading the above example data because it will help the below guide make more sense.

Spreadsheet Settings
The first few cells of the first row in the spreadsheet contain an identifier and some settings. These allow you to customise how the spreadsheet is organised and processed by the Editor. Take a look at the staff.csv template file as an example. The first cell (i.e. Cell A1) contains the identifier. This tells the Editor what type of spreadsheet it is. For instance, the staff.csv file has "Staff" as the identifier. You should not change the identifier but you can rename the spreadsheet's file name.

You will see that staff.csv has "dmy" in Cell B1 and "metric" in Cell C1. The first of these settings determines the date format used in the spreadsheet. You can change this to dmy (European date format), mdy (North American date format) or ymd (Japanese date format). When entering the year in a date, make sure you use the full four digit year. The day and month numbers can be either single or double digit. The "metric" setting means that metric heights and weights will be used. You can change this to "imperial" if you prefer.

Note that it does not matter which settings are present in the spreadsheet. You can have no settings if you prefer (the Editor will just use default settings in that case). The only mandatory one is the identifier which must always be present and must be in Cell A1.

Importer Settings
If you click on Tools -> Import Spreadsheet you will find various checkboxes containing settings. These set how the Editor will import the data. Hopefully most/all of these are self-explanatory but let me know if anybody has any questions.

Mode
You will find that each of the club.csv and staff.csv files have a Mode column at Column A of each spreadsheet. This determines whether each row is intended to be added as a new item in the database, to edit an existing item or to delete an existing item. If you leave this cell blank for any row then the Editor will use a default mode setting for that row. The default is indicated in brackets after the word "Mode" in each spreadsheet (note that you cannot change what the default mode is). Both of the club.csv and staff.csv files state "Mode (e)" at Cell A2 which means that the default mode is "edit".

To set the mode, enter "a" (add), "d" (delete) or "e" (edit) for each row you enter into the spreadsheet. Note that the delete function is not yet enabled in the Editor. Only add and edit work for now.

For instance, if you want to add a new team to the database, open the "club.csv" file and enter "a" into the appropriate row followed by the data you want to set for that new team. If you want to edit an existing team, enter "e" along with the Long Name of the team you wish to edit - and then use the remaining cells to enter the data you want to change.

The staff_history.csv does not have a mode. Instead, the Editor will automatically add or edit the data depending on whether it can find an existing item in the database. To edit a staff history item, enter the following: Staff name, staff dob, playoffs, club, competition. If the Editor finds a pre-existing entry with all of those details then it will edit that entry with whatever you enter into the other cells in the spreadsheet (for example, if you want to update the goalie stats, GP, etc). Obviously this means that you cannot edit the club, competition or playoffs setting for an existing entry. However, you can set it to zero GP so that the Editor will (eventually, once I add the function) delete that entry - and then add a new entry with the correct data.

To Import
In the Editor click on Tools -> Import Spreadsheet -> Import Spreadsheet and then select your csv file. Make sure you set your settings before you do so. The Editor will then check the spreadsheet and let you know if it has any errors (it will create an _errors.csv spreadsheet in the same location as your selected spreadsheet file). If no errors are found then the Editor will automatically import the data. If errors are found then it will give you the option to abort.
archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Postby archibalduk » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:50 pm

Just to add to the above - I am interested in any feedback on the order in which the columns appear in the spreadsheet. IMO some of them should not really be changed because they follow what was done for the EHM 2007 Updater. However, the club.csv file in particular could be completely re-ordered if it makes more sense.

The staff.csv file is hideously large. This is because it merges four EHM 2007 Updater spreadsheets into one and adds some additional fields. From my own experience of research, I think this will save me a lot of time because I can work on a single spreadsheet rather than four (usually I have a single master spreadsheet which I copy and paste into the relevant four spreadsheets - but it's a real pain). I think I will also create a mini/shorter version of this spreadsheet with just the key settings in. Then users will have the choice of using the full spreadsheet or the reduced spreadsheet. Note that the staff.csv file does not include things such as player preferences - this will be dealt with in a separate sheet.
archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Postby Named » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:06 pm

Only csv is supported? I always used xml :-k
Named
TBL Rosters Researcher

Postby Alessandro » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:16 pm

I also always use XML, with CSV I always get errors. Archi, help us!
Alessandro
TBL Rosters Man
Olympic Gold

Postby archibalduk » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:22 pm

Alessandro wrote:I also always use XML, with CSV I always get errors. Archi, help us!

I can't help you without some sort of description of the errors you are encountering!...

Only CSV templates are supported right now because it is a first version and, as you know, I need to get this out for testing asap so that we are in good shape for this summer's research. XML and XLSX template creation will follow in the next version.

That said, if you create the CSV templates, load them in Excel/OpenOffice and then save them as XML or XLSX, you should be good to go. Although I haven't tested this, it should import XML and XLSX absolutely fine. It's just the template creation that needs the work.
archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Postby Manimal » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:47 pm

The errors I got when using .csv with the Updater files(I have never used the editor) was always due to the fact of different languages and charactersettings being used.
I am currently not working with the editing but if everyone else has the same issues then we should consider making sure everyone is using the same charactersettings and language.
Manimal
EHM Rosters Man
TBL Admin Team

Trophies:  4 

Postby archibalduk » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:52 pm

What are the character and language settings you mention? Is this the comma/semi-colon delimiter issue or something else?

We should encourage researchers to use XLSX as it is more portable than the other formats. CSV is still relevant when dealing with large volumes of career history data because it is lightweight. XML should really be avoided now that we have XLSX because it is not portable and it is inefficient in terms of file size and import speed.
archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Postby Manimal » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:20 am

archibalduk wrote:What are the character and language settings you mention? Is this the comma/semi-colon delimiter issue or something else?

We should encourage researchers to use XLSX as it is more portable than the other formats. CSV is still relevant when dealing with large volumes of career history data because it is lightweight. XML should really be avoided now that we have XLSX because it is not portable and it is inefficient in terms of file size and import speed.

Whenever I open a CSV file, it asks me for some settings among them the delimiter.
It says (roughly translated from swedish) import - Character settings - and then a roll-down list of which I use Western Europe (ISO-8859-1) and then language - where I have Swedish set as standard
Manimal
EHM Rosters Man
TBL Admin Team

Postby BKarchitect » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:43 am

First thanks for the awesome update and continual work, Archi.

The import process seems rather straight forward once you dig into it and having prior experience with the old EHM 07 Updater utility. But how do I export player info like with the older Updater where it has ratings, attributes, current team, etc? When I export player info from the editor, all I get is:

BKarchitect
Drafted

Postby Alessandro » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:40 am

archibalduk wrote:We should encourage researchers to use XLSX as it is more portable than the other formats. CSV is still relevant when dealing with large volumes of career history data because it is lightweight. XML should really be avoided now that we have XLSX because it is not portable and it is inefficient in terms of file size and import speed.

I read this only now. In my latest PM, ignore the part about XML then and replace it with XLSX
Alessandro
TBL Rosters Man
Olympic Gold

Postby archibalduk » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:05 pm

Alessandro wrote:
archibalduk wrote:We should encourage researchers to use XLSX as it is more portable than the other formats. CSV is still relevant when dealing with large volumes of career history data because it is lightweight. XML should really be avoided now that we have XLSX because it is not portable and it is inefficient in terms of file size and import speed.

I read this only now. In my latest PM, ignore the part about XML then and replace it with XLSX

Ha! Sorry I responded to your PM before I read this. :-D I think we are agreed - XLSX should hopefully be the way forward.

Manimal wrote:
archibalduk wrote:What are the character and language settings you mention? Is this the comma/semi-colon delimiter issue or something else?

Whenever I open a CSV file, it asks me for some settings among them the delimiter.
It says (roughly translated from swedish) import - Character settings - and then a roll-down list of which I use Western Europe (ISO-8859-1) and then language - where I have Swedish set as standard

Ah yes I know what you mean. The reason is that there is no standard format for CSV files and it does not contain any settings data whatsoever (it is just a plain text file). So OpenOffice/LibreOffice prompts you every time to tell it how the spreadsheet is set up. For this reason, there aren't any language settings that can be set within the CSV by other users. Assuming XLSX works correctly with OpenOffice/LibreOffice then XLSX should be the default format going forward as it will avoid all of the issues that come with CSV and XML.

BKarchitect wrote:First thanks for the awesome update and continual work, Archi.

The import process seems rather straight forward once you dig into it and having prior experience with the old EHM 07 Updater utility. But how do I export player info like with the older Updater where it has ratings, attributes, current team, etc? When I export player info from the editor, all I get is:

I'll be adding that to the next version. The Player Info spreadsheet is just the Player Info/Stats tab from the Editor - so it relates to the Runtime Data.

The exporting feature now has filters (as you may have seen) - so hopefully once I have added the player attributes, contract data etc as an export spreadsheet, it'll be easy to create a research spreadsheet as you can filter by club competition and/or player/non-player nationality. :thup:

It might be helpful if I share my plans for the next few versions in the run up to starting the TBL Rosters 10 research (note that I wrote the below prior to yesterday's release - hence it mentions v0.1.7 as the current version):

archibalduk wrote:So my basic plan is as follows:

Version 0.1.7 - This is the current version
Version 0.1.8 - First release with non-player/player, player career history and club importing for full testing (April)
Version 0.1.9 - Release with any fixes following the testing of the importing functions. It will also include some basic spreadsheet exporting functions. (May/early June) <-- This is the first version we could use with the database research
Version 0.2.0 - This will include some basic filtering and hopefully additional importing. I would have liked to include the filtering for v0.1.9 but it'd just slow down the release.

This is of course on the assumption my job does not become too busy (the last six weeks were bad, but things are better for now).
archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Postby Manimal » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:18 pm

archibalduk wrote:
Ah yes I know what you mean. The reason is that there is no standard format for CSV files and it does not contain any settings data whatsoever (it is just a plain text file). So OpenOffice/LibreOffice prompts you every time to tell it how the spreadsheet is set up. For this reason, there aren't any language settings that can be set within the CSV by other users. Assuming XLSX works correctly with OpenOffice/LibreOffice then XLSX should be the default format going forward as it will avoid all of the issues that come with CSV and XML.

I totally agree with this
Manimal
EHM Rosters Man
TBL Admin Team

Previous

Return to Data Editing Forum