The Blue Line

Editing league rules and structures in EHM 1

Discuss all aspects of editing the data in EHM here. Have a question about the Pre Game Editor, editing the .cfg files, hex editing the .dat files? Want to tweak the EHM exe file to change league rules/structure, start date etc? This is the place!
Forum rules
This is the forum to discuss all aspects of editing the EHM data and tweaking the game.

Please note that discussion about roster updates belongs in the Game Add-ons Forum.

Re: Editing league rules and structures in EHM 1

Postby BKarchitect » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:42 pm

With what archi and Riz said - it would be pretty cool in online leagues at least to allow members to maybe have owner votes on relocation of franchises in the summer. I don't do online leagues personally but that would be a fun wrinkle to add and sounds very do-able as long as you maintain existing division structure.
BKarchitect
Minor League
 
Posts: 262
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:21 am
Points: 2.64

Re: Editing league rules and structures in EHM 1

Postby nino33 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:21 pm

BKarchitect wrote:With what archi and Riz said - it would be pretty cool in online leagues at least to allow members to maybe have owner votes on relocation of franchises in the summer. I don't do online leagues personally but that would be a fun wrinkle to add and sounds very do-able as long as you maintain existing division structure.
I'm thinking such functionality might be helpful with the 1974 DB...while an 18 team NHL would have to be maintained, it's still cool that some of the team changes over the years might be possible (including moving some of the WHA teams into the NHL in 1979)

I wonder if Team History/Records could be "cleared" in a saved game?
User avatar
nino33
Retro Rosters Specialist
Mr. Goalie
 
Posts: 5,704
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:37 am
Points: 75.09

Re: Editing league rules and structures in EHM 1

Postby Asher413 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:32 am

Pardon if the frustration bleeds through:

Has anyone successfully reduced the number of NHL teams? I have no idea what I'm doing incorrect on my 1972 DB. I started 'fresh' tonight (converted from a working EHM2007 DB, the converted file works fine before editing). All I edited was the leagues of the NHL teams (to get 8 in each division, removed the leagues from the other teams), edited the structure and stages of the NHL (8 in each conference, 4 for playoffs, 3 rounds-> 2 on the conferences, added the redline in playoff games, removed OT/Shootouts), loaded the schedule (all teams had 78 games, cleared and reloaded the two divisions under basic data) and off it went. Every version (today's and the one I worked on two weeks ago) crashes on the end of season update. No error messages, just a crash.

It wouldn't irk me so bad if it wasn't for the fact that the db works without these edits- so I don't think I've screwed something else up in my editing. Any and all help, suggestions or ideas on how to diagnose are greatly appreciated.
User avatar
Asher413
Fringe Player
 
Posts: 327
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:28 am
Points: 13.27
Trophies:  1   2   3

Re: Editing league rules and structures in EHM 1

Postby nino33 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:29 pm

Asher413 wrote:Pardon if the frustration bleeds through:

Has anyone successfully reduced the number of NHL teams? I have no idea what I'm doing incorrect on my 1972 DB. I started 'fresh' tonight (converted from a working EHM2007 DB, the converted file works fine before editing). All I edited was the leagues of the NHL teams (to get 8 in each division, removed the leagues from the other teams), edited the structure and stages of the NHL (8 in each conference, 4 for playoffs, 3 rounds-> 2 on the conferences, added the redline in playoff games, removed OT/Shootouts), loaded the schedule (all teams had 78 games, cleared and reloaded the two divisions under basic data) and off it went. Every version (today's and the one I worked on two weeks ago) crashes on the end of season update. No error messages, just a crash.

It wouldn't irk me so bad if it wasn't for the fact that the db works without these edits- so I don't think I've screwed something else up in my editing. Any and all help, suggestions or ideas on how to diagnose are greatly appreciated.
I got an 18 team NHL working with the help of Named, but alas I don't know what to say about your troubles as I never had difficulties getting past the first season, sorry :dunno:
User avatar
nino33
Retro Rosters Specialist
Mr. Goalie
 
Posts: 5,704
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:37 am
Points: 75.09

Re: Editing league rules and structures in EHM 1

Postby celislanders1 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:35 pm

Anyone tried the new Elite League yet ??
celislanders1
Prospect
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:32 am
Points: 0.52

Re: Editing league rules and structures in EHM 1

Postby archibalduk » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:31 am

Has anyone been able to get a league running with the regular season champions being promoted to the league above? I've added a single end place for Promotion and 7 end places for Playoffs (top) in the hope that this will (1) result in the regular season champion being promoted and (2) the top 8 teams progressing to the playoffs. However, I'm getting an error saying there are too few teams to draw from when I get to the playoffs stage. It appears as though the error is resolved if I set the Playoffs (top) end places to 8 but this results in the teams placed 2nd-9th competing in the playoffs instead of the teams placed 1st-8th (no doubt because of the Promotion end place taking up 1st place).

I've been trying various "Fate to Draw From" settings but without success. I can't see any other league in the DB which uses a similar structure. Does anybody know of such a league?
User avatar
archibalduk
Seaside + Fruit Juice Mode
TBL Admin Team
 
Posts: 18,364
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:44 pm
Points: 194.81
Trophies:  1   2   1

Re: Editing league rules and structures in EHM 1

Postby Named » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:49 pm

Check Norwegian First Division.
User avatar
Named
League structures guru
TBL Rosters Researcher
 
Posts: 664
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:34 pm
Points: 6.64

Re: Editing league rules and structures in EHM 1

Postby archibalduk » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:34 pm

Thanks. I have checked the Norwegian First Division but it is not similar to what I am looking to achieve. The Norwegian First Division does not have any playoffs. Rather, the top two teams qualify for the playouts with the bottom two GET Ligaen teams.

The problem I need to resolve is that the second stage in the NIHL South 2 needs to draw teams from two sets of end places: The 1st placed team from the Promotion end place and the 2nd-8th placed teams from the Playoffs (Top) end place. To get around this, I am currently trying a "dummy" stage in between the regular season and playoffs so that the Promotion team goes to the dummy stage after the regular season. The playoffs then draws the Playoffs (Top) teams from the regular season stage and also the dummy stage - perhaps this will get around the issue. I'm running a test sim now...

EDIT: I should add that IRL the NIHL South 2 does not use this format, but the NIHL North 2 does. I'm simply trying to get the principle working in the NIHL South for the purposes of getting the NIHL North correct.

EDIT 2: Having a zero game dummy stage didn't seem to work. I think I'll give up for now and stick with promotion for the playoff champion.
User avatar
archibalduk
Seaside + Fruit Juice Mode
TBL Admin Team
 
Posts: 18,364
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:44 pm
Points: 194.81
Trophies:  1   2   1

Re: Editing league rules and structures in EHM 1

Postby Named » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:56 am

I think it might be possible to do that but I'm not sure get all what u want to do. I will talk with Alessandro but if You could upload Your current db work will be fine.
User avatar
Named
League structures guru
TBL Rosters Researcher
 
Posts: 664
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:34 pm
Points: 6.64

Re: Editing league rules and structures in EHM 1

Postby archibalduk » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:09 pm

Thanks - I'll upload it during the course of the week. :thup:

I am losing the plot with the EIHL. I just can't get the inter conference scheduling to work. I think it is a bug with the game - I'll mention to Riz in the hope it might be fixed for version 1.5. I'm not quite sure how best to compromise with the EIHL for the upcoming TBL Rosters. Currently all the teams do are play against teams in their own conference (8 games against 3 teams = 24 GP each). I'm thinking it might be best to remove the conference setup and just have a single league. ](*,)
User avatar
archibalduk
Seaside + Fruit Juice Mode
TBL Admin Team
 
Posts: 18,364
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:44 pm
Points: 194.81
Trophies:  1   2   1

Re: Editing league rules and structures in EHM 1

Postby Named » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:43 pm

Search our last talk. EIHL could be copied from DHL from what I remember. You accept that :p
User avatar
Named
League structures guru
TBL Rosters Researcher
 
Posts: 664
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:34 pm
Points: 6.64

Re: Editing league rules and structures in EHM 1

Postby marksbros6 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:11 pm

Named wrote:Search our last talk. EIHL could be copied from DHL from what I remember. You accept that :p


The Danish Hockey League Named?

Think the problem is with the number of conferences; 3 x 4 teams, and the intra-conference games that are the problem. Can't think of any leagues with that format myself.
marksbros6
TBL Rosters Researcher
 
Posts: 458
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:34 pm
Points: 4.59

Re: Editing league rules and structures in EHM 1

Postby Alessandro » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:28 pm

No, the czech DHL junior league.

Archi, so, after the first stage, we have one team going directly up, then 2-8 having a playoff?
User avatar
Alessandro
TBL Rosters Man
Olympic Gold
 
Posts: 2,839
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:54 pm
Points: 79.28

Re: Editing league rules and structures in EHM 1

Postby marksbros6 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:59 pm

Alessandro wrote:No, the czech DHL junior league.

Archi, so, after the first stage, we have one team going directly up, then 2-8 having a playoff?


If we're talking EIHL, structure can be found herehttp://mk-lightning.co.uk/new-format-2017-2018-elite-league-season/

Conference names http://mk-lightning.co.uk/eihl-confirm-conference-names/

If we're talking NIHL (National League, second and third divisions) then we have a Northern League and a Southern league, 2 divisions of each and the champions of League 2 promoted to League 1, replacing the bottom team in League 1. (This would be the champion of the league-stage, not the playoff winner, and there is no 'play out' stage, just the bottom team being relegated).
marksbros6
TBL Rosters Researcher
 
Posts: 458
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:34 pm
Points: 4.59

Re: Editing league rules and structures in EHM 1

Postby archibalduk » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:10 pm

Named wrote:Search our last talk. EIHL could be copied from DHL from what I remember. You accept that :p


No that's not right. I fear we are misunderstanding each other. Unless I am missing something there is no other league in the database with the same structure as the EIHL because none of them use the "Additional Inter Conference Rounds In Overall Stage" basic rules flag. This is the source of the issue. It works fine with a two conference structure but the inter-conference scheduling doesn't work when adding a third conference. I don't think we understood each other last time we discussed this before (see below) - I've emailed Riz to see if it is a game bug.

archibalduk wrote:
Named wrote:For me the best way is doing divisional view + schedule template and also remove overall standing stage. QMJHL template is really helpfull how it might look. What u think? :)


The difficulty is that the EIHL needs an overall standings stage. In the EIHL, the conference standings only take into account the 24 games played against teams in the same conference. The overall standings takes into account all 56 games (i.e. the 24 games against teams in the same conference and the 32 games against teams in the other conferences).

For this same reason, I don't think the QMJHL is all that useful. It does not have the difference between the conference standings and overall standings.

I will email Riz about this. Maybe it is something he can explain - or maybe it will need something in the next patch.


archibalduk wrote:
Named wrote:I don't want to convince You but some things are better to do simply then thinking hours cause I think we can't divide 32 games per 4 teams in 3 divisions to receive correct number of games in overall and conference standings. :?


The 32 games relate to those games teams played against those in the other conferences. There are two other conferences of four teams = 8 teams in total. 32 is divisible by 8. The game creates a schedule divisible by 8 but it varies by team - some have 24 games, some have 32 and some have 40.


archibalduk wrote:
Named wrote:Exactly. They play how many times they should with teams you setup on schedule template. Regular season GP = Conference GP. Regular Season standing is decide to who will play in playoff.


Ignoring the playoffs bit for now:

Conference GP = Conference GP
Regular season GP = Conference GP + GP against teams in the other conferences

The standings from last season might help as an example - see this on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016%E2%8 ... on#Overall

As you will see, the Regular Season/Overall standings show all 52 games (because last year there were 10 teams). The Conference standings show just the 32 games teams played against the other teams in the same conference.
User avatar
archibalduk
Seaside + Fruit Juice Mode
TBL Admin Team
 
Posts: 18,364
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:44 pm
Points: 194.81
Trophies:  1   2   1

Re: Editing league rules and structures in EHM 1

Postby archibalduk » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:12 pm

Alessandro wrote:No, the czech DHL junior league.

Archi, so, after the first stage, we have one team going directly up, then 2-8 having a playoff?


That's the NIHL North 2. But that's not quite it. It's the 1st place (i.e. regular season champion) gets promoted but they also play in the playoffs (so 1-4 having a playoff). I've emailed Riz to see if this is possible given that it seems to mean two sets of end place zones being drawn from in the playoff stage.
User avatar
archibalduk
Seaside + Fruit Juice Mode
TBL Admin Team
 
Posts: 18,364
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:44 pm
Points: 194.81
Trophies:  1   2   1

Re: Editing league rules and structures in EHM 1

Postby Named » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:50 pm

I doubt we can promote regular season champion and 1 more team from playoffs (not champion). Only way could be set promoted one team in Stage 1 and playoffs 2-5 places. That could work.
User avatar
Named
League structures guru
TBL Rosters Researcher
 
Posts: 664
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:34 pm
Points: 6.64

Re: Editing league rules and structures in EHM 1

Postby archibalduk » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:40 am

I think you have misunderstood - there is only promotion of the regular season champion. However they also compete in the playoffs with teams placed 2-4.

There is no promotion from the playoffs. The 5th place team is not involved.

For time being I have just left it as the playoff winner gets promoted but it'd be nice to get it corrected sometime.
User avatar
archibalduk
Seaside + Fruit Juice Mode
TBL Admin Team
 
Posts: 18,364
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:44 pm
Points: 194.81
Trophies:  1   2   1

Re: Editing league rules and structures in EHM 1

Postby Named » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:48 am

So on regular season stage try fate rules "Promotion from stage", "regular season champion" and on playoff stage use only "Champions". Also on Stage1 - Promoted (1), playoff(4).
User avatar
Named
League structures guru
TBL Rosters Researcher
 
Posts: 664
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:34 pm
Points: 6.64

Re: EHM 1 Database & Saved Game Editor

Postby zbguy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:54 am

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what I'm doing wrong. I'm experimenting with linked competitions and I'm using the Panonian League. I've linked four competitions (from Serbia, Croatia, Macedonia and Bosnia), having the champions of each league meet in the Panonian League. I've copied the Memorial Cup's structure for this. The individual leagues seem to be working fine, but when the Panonian League stage begins, the game complains that it can't find the champion of the Macedonian league. I can't figure out why. Can someone look at my db and see where I'm going wrong? Thanks

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yqw943f5bf4fy ... se.db?dl=0
zbguy
Prospect
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:01 pm
Points: 0.98

Re: EHM 1 Database & Saved Game Editor

Postby archibalduk » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:47 pm

zbguy wrote:Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what I'm doing wrong. I'm experimenting with linked competitions and I'm using the Panonian League. I've linked four competitions (from Serbia, Croatia, Macedonia and Bosnia), having the champions of each league meet in the Panonian League. I've copied the Memorial Cup's structure for this. The individual leagues seem to be working fine, but when the Panonian League stage begins, the game complains that it can't find the champion of the Macedonian league. I can't figure out why. Can someone look at my db and see where I'm going wrong? Thanks

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yqw943f5bf4fy ... se.db?dl=0


I haven't downloaded your file as I am snowed under with work on the TBL Rosters, but try checking the settings of one of the Serbian/Croatian/Bosnian leagues and see what is different against the Macedonian league. My guess is that you have not ticked the "Champions" setting via the Stages -> Rules -> Fate Rules of the final stage of the Macedonian league. E.g. if you take a look at the OHL, go to the final stage (Stage 5) on the Stages tab and then navigate to Rules -> Fate Rules you'll see the Champions setting is True in the Fate Rules section.
User avatar
archibalduk
Seaside + Fruit Juice Mode
TBL Admin Team
 
Posts: 18,364
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:44 pm
Points: 194.81
Trophies:  1   2   1

Re: Editing league rules and structures in EHM 1

Postby archibalduk » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:49 pm

Named wrote:So on regular season stage try fate rules "Promotion from stage", "regular season champion" and on playoff stage use only "Champions". Also on Stage1 - Promoted (1), playoff(4).


Thank you! I'll give it a try.

P.s. I have created a sort of compromise with the EIHL with the real life schedule. I have moved all of the conferences to divisions of a single conference which is made things simpler. I just haven't been able to figure out how to get the Divisions drop-down menu to appear in the in-game league standings. But at least it'll provide something relatively close to real life whilst I await to hear from Riz.
User avatar
archibalduk
Seaside + Fruit Juice Mode
TBL Admin Team
 
Posts: 18,364
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:44 pm
Points: 194.81
Trophies:  1   2   1

Re: EHM 1 Database & Saved Game Editor

Postby zbguy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:06 am

archibalduk wrote:
zbguy wrote:Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what I'm doing wrong. I'm experimenting with linked competitions and I'm using the Panonian League. I've linked four competitions (from Serbia, Croatia, Macedonia and Bosnia), having the champions of each league meet in the Panonian League. I've copied the Memorial Cup's structure for this. The individual leagues seem to be working fine, but when the Panonian League stage begins, the game complains that it can't find the champion of the Macedonian league. I can't figure out why. Can someone look at my db and see where I'm going wrong? Thanks

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yqw943f5bf4fy ... se.db?dl=0


I haven't downloaded your file as I am snowed under with work on the TBL Rosters, but try checking the settings of one of the Serbian/Croatian/Bosnian leagues and see what is different against the Macedonian league. My guess is that you have not ticked the "Champions" setting via the Stages -> Rules -> Fate Rules of the final stage of the Macedonian league. E.g. if you take a look at the OHL, go to the final stage (Stage 5) on the Stages tab and then navigate to Rules -> Fate Rules you'll see the Champions setting is True in the Fate Rules section.


Yup, looked at it, and it's checked. I actually used the same template for all four leagues. I tested each league independently and they all work without a hitch. I've gone over every single element I can think of and they're all the same. I'm stumped. This isn't a priority though so anytime you can look at it is fine. Thanks
zbguy
Prospect
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:01 pm
Points: 0.98

Re: Editing league rules and structures in EHM 1

Postby archibalduk » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:15 pm

Named wrote:So on regular season stage try fate rules "Promotion from stage", "regular season champion" and on playoff stage use only "Champions". Also on Stage1 - Promoted (1), playoff(4).


No this didn't work. It has to be the fate rules that is the issue. I spoke with Riz and he said Promoted (1) and Playoff (3) is the correct way to do it as the game will draw additional teams from the next end zone down in the event there are not enough teams from the selected end zone to draw from.

It is really painful trying to set up any competitions which are a bit out of the ordinary. I've spent so many hours experimenting with the above but without success and so I'll give up on the regular season promotion and just go with the playoff winner being promoted. I have been having similar frustration with setting up a four team cup competition (consisting of a semi-final, bronze medal game and final). Setting up the competition as a "cup" limits my ability to draw teams because I have to draw from the database base competition setting rather than, for instance, the conference/division list. This doesn't work in my situation because the teams I want to draw from are four EIHL teams (I am trying to create the separate Scottish Elite Cup). I tried using the "league" setting to get around this but the game does not seem to like it if I have the initial stage set as "cup" - perhaps because the Round Rules cannot determine how to set up the semi final stage in the absence of any seedings. I guess I'll give up on that one too. ](*,)
User avatar
archibalduk
Seaside + Fruit Juice Mode
TBL Admin Team
 
Posts: 18,364
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:44 pm
Points: 194.81
Trophies:  1   2   1

Previous

Return to Data Editing Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests