The Blue Line

Editing league rules and structures in EHM 1

Discuss all aspects of editing the data in EHM here. Have a question about the Pre Game Editor, editing the .cfg files, hex editing the .dat files? Want to tweak the EHM exe file to change league rules/structure, start date etc? This is the place!
Forum rules
This is the forum to discuss all aspects of editing the EHM data and tweaking the game.

Please note that discussion about roster updates belongs in the Game Add-ons Forum.

Re: Editing league rules and structures in EHM 1

Postby Named » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:50 pm

I doubt we can promote regular season champion and 1 more team from playoffs (not champion). Only way could be set promoted one team in Stage 1 and playoffs 2-5 places. That could work.
Named
League structures guru
TBL Rosters Researcher

Postby archibalduk » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:40 am

I think you have misunderstood - there is only promotion of the regular season champion. However they also compete in the playoffs with teams placed 2-4.

There is no promotion from the playoffs. The 5th place team is not involved.

For time being I have just left it as the playoff winner gets promoted but it'd be nice to get it corrected sometime.
archibalduk
Seaside + Fruit Juice Mode
TBL Admin Team

Trophies:  1   2   1

Postby Named » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:48 am

So on regular season stage try fate rules "Promotion from stage", "regular season champion" and on playoff stage use only "Champions". Also on Stage1 - Promoted (1), playoff(4).
Named
League structures guru
TBL Rosters Researcher

Re: EHM 1 Database & Saved Game Editor

Postby zbguy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:54 am

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what I'm doing wrong. I'm experimenting with linked competitions and I'm using the Panonian League. I've linked four competitions (from Serbia, Croatia, Macedonia and Bosnia), having the champions of each league meet in the Panonian League. I've copied the Memorial Cup's structure for this. The individual leagues seem to be working fine, but when the Panonian League stage begins, the game complains that it can't find the champion of the Macedonian league. I can't figure out why. Can someone look at my db and see where I'm going wrong? Thanks

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yqw943f5bf4fy ... se.db?dl=0
zbguy
Top Prospect

Postby archibalduk » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:47 pm

zbguy wrote:Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what I'm doing wrong. I'm experimenting with linked competitions and I'm using the Panonian League. I've linked four competitions (from Serbia, Croatia, Macedonia and Bosnia), having the champions of each league meet in the Panonian League. I've copied the Memorial Cup's structure for this. The individual leagues seem to be working fine, but when the Panonian League stage begins, the game complains that it can't find the champion of the Macedonian league. I can't figure out why. Can someone look at my db and see where I'm going wrong? Thanks

I haven't downloaded your file as I am snowed under with work on the TBL Rosters, but try checking the settings of one of the Serbian/Croatian/Bosnian leagues and see what is different against the Macedonian league. My guess is that you have not ticked the "Champions" setting via the Stages -> Rules -> Fate Rules of the final stage of the Macedonian league. E.g. if you take a look at the OHL, go to the final stage (Stage 5) on the Stages tab and then navigate to Rules -> Fate Rules you'll see the Champions setting is True in the Fate Rules section.
archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Postby archibalduk » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:49 pm

Named wrote:So on regular season stage try fate rules "Promotion from stage", "regular season champion" and on playoff stage use only "Champions". Also on Stage1 - Promoted (1), playoff(4).

Thank you! I'll give it a try.

P.s. I have created a sort of compromise with the EIHL with the real life schedule. I have moved all of the conferences to divisions of a single conference which is made things simpler. I just haven't been able to figure out how to get the Divisions drop-down menu to appear in the in-game league standings. But at least it'll provide something relatively close to real life whilst I await to hear from Riz.
archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Postby zbguy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:06 am

archibalduk wrote:
zbguy wrote:Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what I'm doing wrong. I'm experimenting with linked competitions and I'm using the Panonian League. I've linked four competitions (from Serbia, Croatia, Macedonia and Bosnia), having the champions of each league meet in the Panonian League. I've copied the Memorial Cup's structure for this. The individual leagues seem to be working fine, but when the Panonian League stage begins, the game complains that it can't find the champion of the Macedonian league. I can't figure out why. Can someone look at my db and see where I'm going wrong? Thanks

I haven't downloaded your file as I am snowed under with work on the TBL Rosters, but try checking the settings of one of the Serbian/Croatian/Bosnian leagues and see what is different against the Macedonian league. My guess is that you have not ticked the "Champions" setting via the Stages -> Rules -> Fate Rules of the final stage of the Macedonian league. E.g. if you take a look at the OHL, go to the final stage (Stage 5) on the Stages tab and then navigate to Rules -> Fate Rules you'll see the Champions setting is True in the Fate Rules section.

Yup, looked at it, and it's checked. I actually used the same template for all four leagues. I tested each league independently and they all work without a hitch. I've gone over every single element I can think of and they're all the same. I'm stumped. This isn't a priority though so anytime you can look at it is fine. Thanks
zbguy
Top Prospect

Postby archibalduk » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:15 pm

Named wrote:So on regular season stage try fate rules "Promotion from stage", "regular season champion" and on playoff stage use only "Champions". Also on Stage1 - Promoted (1), playoff(4).

No this didn't work. It has to be the fate rules that is the issue. I spoke with Riz and he said Promoted (1) and Playoff (3) is the correct way to do it as the game will draw additional teams from the next end zone down in the event there are not enough teams from the selected end zone to draw from.

It is really painful trying to set up any competitions which are a bit out of the ordinary. I've spent so many hours experimenting with the above but without success and so I'll give up on the regular season promotion and just go with the playoff winner being promoted. I have been having similar frustration with setting up a four team cup competition (consisting of a semi-final, bronze medal game and final). Setting up the competition as a "cup" limits my ability to draw teams because I have to draw from the database base competition setting rather than, for instance, the conference/division list. This doesn't work in my situation because the teams I want to draw from are four EIHL teams (I am trying to create the separate Scottish Elite Cup). I tried using the "league" setting to get around this but the game does not seem to like it if I have the initial stage set as "cup" - perhaps because the Round Rules cannot determine how to set up the semi final stage in the absence of any seedings. I guess I'll give up on that one too. ](*,)
archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Postby BulldogsFan » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:50 pm

Named wrote:I fixed this USHL problem with 2 stages didnt run together. I added value 4 on Stage 2 "Next upper stage to trigger" and it worked? We have working model of USHL. After we will get 1.4 update USHL will work better as junior teams will sign players. I have main question. Did You create USHL from beginning or copied any other league model? I uploaded database for working USHL. Also thanks for Alessandro minor fixes before.

http://www37.zippyshare.com/v/M9QrgxDZ/file.html

it says file is expired anywhere i can get the database file
BulldogsFan
Top Prospect

Postby CraftJocke » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:09 pm

Hey!
Anyone who has tried to make swedish second and third league (hockeytvåan and hockeytrean)? :)
CraftJocke
Learning to skate

Postby flamesnoopy » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:30 pm

Is the 'Max league games' setting in 'Comp rules' definitive?

I spent a night yesterday trying to reduce the teams in NHL to 21 and created a schedule from scratch. This morning I noticed there were a few botches with my schedule (4 teams play 81 season games, 3 teams play 79 season games). However, for testing purposes I used the schedule anyhow, since yesterday I couldn't even get into the game due to a crash. Today, I can simulate the entire regular season with the botched schedule, but it results in a few anomalies: 1. the league never advances to playoffs and 2. 15 teams are shown to advance into the playoffs instead of the 16 set in the editor. I'm no expert with the editor, but if I've understood correctly, the 'Schedule dates' actually only applies to regular season games and not playoffs. Thus, I've come to the conclusion that the reason the league is unable to advance to the playoffs stage is because some teams only have 79 regular season games, while some have 81 due to the botched schedule. Since creating a schedule takes forever, I'd like to know if this is a correct assumption before I take a stab at creating a proper, non-botched one?

Also, even if that is a yes, it doesn't quite explain as to why the game shows 15 teams would advance and not 16.

For the record, I'm trying to create a 4-division, 2-conference, 80 game regular season league in the vein of the NHL in the 1980s. Any suggestions or help at all would be appreciated, as I said earlier, I'm fairly new to the editor so it might be the simplest thing, who knows!
flamesnoopy
Learning to skate

Postby archibalduk » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:08 pm

No, my experience of the Max League Games is that it is not definitive. Leagues I have worked on can exceed the limit set without there being any apparent issue (as far as I can tell). However, I have had an issue with the next stage not triggering where Stage 1 does not play as many games as the Max League Games setting. Actually, I think it might be possible to leave this setting as zero.

Schedule Dates apply to every stage regardless of whether it is a regular season stage or a playoff stage. If you haven't got any Schedule Dates for the playoffs then this might explain part of the issue.

It might be worth trying to simplify things just to get the structure up and running. Perhaps get a schedule where each team plays each other once (or twice). This will be an easier schedule template to create and will help rule out the uneven schedule. Once the whole structure is working then you can start to work on the full schedule.
archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Postby flamesnoopy » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:50 pm

archibalduk wrote:No, my experience of the Max League Games is that it is not definitive. Leagues I have worked on can exceed the limit set without there being any apparent issue (as far as I can tell). However, I have had an issue with the next stage not triggering where Stage 1 does not play as many games as the Max League Games setting. Actually, I think it might be possible to leave this setting as zero.

Schedule Dates apply to every stage regardless of whether it is a regular season stage or a playoff stage. If you haven't got any Schedule Dates for the playoffs then this might explain part of the issue.

It might be worth trying to simplify things just to get the structure up and running. Perhaps get a schedule where each team plays each other once (or twice). This will be an easier schedule template to create and will help rule out the uneven schedule. Once the whole structure is working then you can start to work on the full schedule.

Alright, thanks Archi! :-)

Actually, I misspoke when I said 'Schedule Dates', what I meant instead was the 'Schedule List'. I do have Schedule Dates set for the playoffs as well.

I'm definitely going to take that suggestion onboard to try a mini-schedule and go from there. It shouldn't be hard to implement, though that's exactly what I thought of the full schedule earlier !
flamesnoopy
Learning to skate

Postby seldon71 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:56 am

Are the possible lengths of OT period "hard-coded"?

Both EBEL (Austria) and Alps Hockey League use 7-minute overtime during regular season before going for penalty shots. I guess that it is impossible to set in EHM though...
seldon71
Junior League

Postby walou » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:35 am

Hey.

I'm bit lost and wanted to get some quick help. I was at mid season and finally decided to edit Finnish league system so that the top league has a chance to relegate a team like in real life. I tried and tried to build a system where the champion of 2nd league would play against last team of the 1st league for best of five. I took advice from the other leagues relegation systems but it just doesn't want to appear. I tried making it so that it triggers after 2nd league playoffs are over and the winner from that would play for promotion. My question being, can you even edit the league systems on a save game? Or can you edit the league mid season and have it take affect at the end of that season? I simply can't figure out what goes wrong with my editing. :/ I'd really love to make the Finnish leagues as in real life.
walou
Learning to skate

Postby marksbros6 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:33 am

walou wrote:Hey.

I'm bit lost and wanted to get some quick help. I was at mid season and finally decided to edit Finnish league system so that the top league has a chance to relegate a team like in real life. I tried and tried to build a system where the champion of 2nd league would play against last team of the 1st league for best of five. I took advice from the other leagues relegation systems but it just doesn't want to appear. I tried making it so that it triggers after 2nd league playoffs are over and the winner from that would play for promotion. My question being, can you even edit the league systems on a save game? Or can you edit the league mid season and have it take affect at the end of that season? I simply can't figure out what goes wrong with my editing. :/ I'd really love to make the Finnish leagues as in real life.

Don't think you can edit league structures in a save game mate?
marksbros6
TBL Rosters Researcher

Postby walou » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:04 pm

marksbros6 wrote:Don't think you can edit league structures in a save game mate?

Ok, it seemed though that I was able to make alterations since some teams showed to qualify for the next stage in the standings table. I spent somewhat 3 hours today trying to figure out how this all works. I edited a database of a 2016-2017 roster and even simulating through the season just doesn't trigger the teams to switch between leagues. They say they are qualified or promoted/relegated but still nothing happens. After changing stuff it started crashing at 3rd of March every time i got to that date.

I read earlier in the thread that the creator of the editor doesn't want to give out instructions too easy and rather let people learn how to use the editor (which i understand) :) but I'm desperate to know how to edit correctly. Do i have to make a stage on 1st league and go to stage -> rules -> fate rules -> relegation from stage. And in the 2nd league I would make a new stage and put it on ''promotion from stage''. This would be a simple promote 1 and relegate 1 team. Also I do not understand what to put to the ''team picking rule'' -section.

A newbie here so be gentle if you answer :)
Thanks in advance
walou
Learning to skate

Postby archibalduk » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:41 pm

marksbros6 wrote:Don't think you can edit league structures in a save game mate?

Yes that's broadly correct. I think theoretically you can make changes but they might not kick-in until the next season or when that stage is next triggered. Either way, it is high risk and you will likely corrupt your saved game. Really you should just edit a database and not a saved game.

I know I'll sound like a broken record, but you really shouldn't edit saved games. I only added saved game support to the Editor simply for experimenting and exporting data. There is a lot of data in the saved game which cannot be accessed in the Editor and which I do not know what it does. Hence editing a saved game is generally high risk.

walou wrote:I read earlier in the thread that the creator of the editor doesn't want to give out instructions too easy and rather let people learn how to use the editor (which i understand) :) but I'm desperate to know how to edit correctly. Do i have to make a stage on 1st league and go to stage -> rules -> fate rules -> relegation from stage.

I'm not sure why you think that. I don't remember saying anything like that. :-? I've been writing a tutorial but won't release it until it is sufficiently complete (it is taking hours to write). My suggestion in the meantime is to take a look at other leagues and see how they are structured. If you want promotion/relegation between leagues, try taking at look at the NIHL North leagues in the database. You'll need to use the Linked Competition setting to link each competition to one another.
archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Postby walou » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:04 pm

archibalduk wrote:I'm not sure why you think that. I don't remember saying anything like that. :-?

I do apologize, it was Alessandro who said that, but in the end doesn't matter. :)

archibalduk wrote:My suggestion in the meantime is to take a look at other leagues and see how they are structured. If you want promotion/relegation between leagues, try taking at look at the NIHL North leagues in the database. You'll need to use the Linked Competition setting to link each competition to one another.

I don't why I didn't just go to other leagues to learn, maybe a bit arrogant of me to think I can do it easily. :P But I took a quick look at Swedish league and it seems like a cool way to promote/relegate so I might as well copy the options there. Still don't really understand how the ''team picking rules'' -section works. 'previous stages seeded', 'previous stages use one stage' and 'previous stages top bye'. Can't just figure out what those mean. But I guess just purely copying the settings would work just fine for Finnish league. So thanks for the quick tip. :)

Another quick question would be, do the stages only work on one league level? If i make a new stage to 1st league, can I link it directly to pick from a 2nd league stage. So basically league 1 stage 2 would pick one team from league 1 and one team from league 2 stage 1? Or is the team picking section in the rules for that?
walou
Learning to skate

Postby zbguy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:38 am

archibalduk wrote:Yes that's broadly correct. I think theoretically you can make changes but they might not kick-in until the next season or when that stage is next triggered. Either way, it is high risk and you will likely corrupt your saved game. Really you should just edit a database and not a saved game.

Is it possible to save a saved game as a new database? I see there is an option to do that but I haven't thought to try it yet.
zbguy
Top Prospect

Random Cup

Postby Feri1801 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:44 am

Hi guys. I would like to ask if it is possible to make domestic cup which randomly choose 4 clubs from 10 listed ?
Feri1801
Junior League

Previous

Return to Data Editing Forum