setup_additional_inital_stages error messages help

Discuss all aspects of editing the data in EHM here. Have a question about the Pre Game Editor, editing the .cfg files, hex editing the .dat files? Want to tweak the EHM exe file to change league rules/structure, start date etc? This is the place!
Forum rules
This is the forum to discuss all aspects of editing the EHM data and tweaking the game.

Please note that discussion about roster updates belongs in the Game Add-ons Forum.
Loryder711
Learning to skate
Favourite Team: New Jersey Devils

Post by Loryder711 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:08 pm

So I used the editor to create a 32nd NHL franchise as well as its AHL affiliate and I have pretty much finished with the creation and roster building process. So I decided to test out the database in game and sim a bit to see how the franchise does on its own. That's where I got this error message when loading up the database right before team selection: CUSTOM_LEAGUE::setup_additional_initial_stages() - unable to find teams for initial stages, stage 0 (National Hockey League). I got this same error again but with stage 2 of the AHL. I had originally gotten another set of errors which prevented me from even loading the NHL/AHL but I figured that out in the rules and structure tab in the editor when I made the changes in the structure tab. Now I can actually get into the game with the NHL and AHL loaded but these additional initial stages messages keep coming up and the game keeps crashing at the beginning of preseason. Tried looking for what I need to fix myself and not sure at all. Has anyone else who has added a 32nd team run into this issue, and how did you fix it? Any help is appreciated since right now I am stumped lol

archibalduk
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Seaside + Fruit Juice Mode
Favourite Team: Guildford (EPL) / Invicta (NIHL)

Post by archibalduk » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:17 pm

If you look at the Basic Data tab of the Rules & Structures screen you'll see a "Concurrent Initial Stages" setting. This sets how many stages will run simultaneously when the league first starts. The error is saying that the game is unable to find the correct number of teams for one of the initial stages.

EHM uses a stage numbering system which starts at -1 and goes upward. So the first stage = -1, the second stage = 0, the third stage = 1, etc. If you go to the Stages tab and look at the navigation drop down menu, you'll see the EHM Stage Reference number listed right at the end of the drop down menu. E.g. you'll see that Stage 1 says "EHM -1" at the end.

So when EHM says there is an error with Stage Reference 0 of the NHL, this means Stage 2 when viewing the stages in the Editor. Assuming you're using the TBL Rosters, Stage 2 is the Western Conference regular season stage - i.e. this is the source of the error. I am assuming you have increased the "Number of Teams" setting for this stage from 15 to 16 in order to reflect that there will now be 32 teams. If you go to the Structure tab and select the Western Conference, did you add the 32nd team to the relevant division?

The issue with the AHL will be the same. So EHM Stage Reference 2 is Stage 4 in the Editor. This is the Pacific Division regular season stage. Presumably you increased the "Number of Teams" setting for this stage from 7 to 8 in order to reflect that there will now be 32 teams. If you go to the Structure tab and select the Western Conference and then the Pacific Division, did you add the 32nd team to the Pacific Division?

Loryder711
Learning to skate
Favourite Team: New Jersey Devils

Post by Loryder711 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:39 pm

You are right on both for the most part. I added the NHL team to the Atlantic so I moved the Red Wings back to the Central and the AHL franchise was added like you said. Upon further review I see what I missed as the max teams for both was one under the new number and I just missed that somehow. Got in without any errors so should be good to go. Appreciate your help

Return to “Data Editing Forum”