The Blue Line

Project NHL 36 - a 2017-18 DB with 36 Team NHL/AHL/ECHL!

Want to ask EHM graphics questions, questions about a project or make requests for a project? Don't know what files go where? Are you working on a new addon or roster update? This is the place to discuss! Also the official home of the TBL Eastside Hockey Manager Roster Update Project (formerly known as the Manimal/Lidas Rosters).
Forum rules
We cannot generally give estimated release dates for the TBL Rosters. If we do have an estimated release date then we will post it in the Site News. Please do not ask us when the release date will be as we simply cannot say. The update work is undertaken by a small number of very kind users who do the work in their spare time. It is simply the case that the update will be released as soon as the planned work has been completed. For obvious reasons we do not rush releases. The more people who help with the updating work, the quicker we can get the rosters updated and released. If you would like to help then please post in the Researcher Sign-up Thread. All serious offers of help are very gratefully received.

Useful Links: Locating your EHM:EA installation folderImporting an EHM 2007 database into EHM:EALogo DimensionsWhere to install databases and graphicsTBL Rosters Crash/Malfunction Thread

Re: Project NHL 36 - a 2017-18 DB with 36 Team NHL/AHL/ECHL!

Postby Smirnov2Chistov » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:36 pm

So with the v1.2, Ship is actually with SKA and NOT with Vegas. I try to sign him to come over, but he doesn't want to at all.
Smirnov2Chistov
Junior League

Postby BKarchitect » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:06 pm

Yeah just getting out in front of what is likely to happen. That “Ship” has sailed unfortunately :)
BKarchitect
Minor League

Postby BKarchitect » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:13 pm

I’ve got a new addition to this project coming up which I think will be a fun addition.

I’ve done a pretty detailed expansion draft involving the 5 teams that will help give them a jump start now that UFA signing options in real life are slim.

The beauty is though that I’m going to release this as an xlsx file to import into the database. It’ll already be formatted correctly. The actual db will still leave the expansion teams blank. But this way, you can get NHL36 updates but just apply the xlsx file to any update. And you’ll easily and simply be able to edit the xlsx to come up with your own expansion rosters. So even when I update the database with real transactions, you’ll always be able to start the game with your own, personalized expansion rosters but also get the latest real updates.

Plus as a bonus, I’ll also make available my expansion draft cheat sheet which allows you to conduct your wn complete expansion draft. It’s still all manual but the various screens will let you keep track of selections, depth charts and teams picked from so you can construct realistic expansion teams pick by pick.
BKarchitect
Minor League

Postby MJalove » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:13 pm

I can't wait for this update as a 2nd league to have going!!!
MJalove
Junior League

Postby Ukko » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:23 pm

Awesome !!

BK, you have a pm ;)
Ukko
Minor League

Postby Monette » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:40 pm

Possible to only have the database for the 30 real teams ?
Monette
Prospect

Postby BKarchitect » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:48 pm

Monette wrote:Possible to only have the database for the 30 real teams ?

You mean 31? Yeah, it's possible to revert back with some editing but you might as well just wait for the official TBL roster then because it'll have a ton more leagues and will probably not be as "buggy" as the NHL36 database when you try to play with all leagues. I'm definitely not going to do it. :-D
BKarchitect
Minor League

Postby BKarchitect » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:28 pm

So I'm going to setup my expansion draft story first and then I'll make the files available for download. Keep in mind this is how I played out my draft and you are going to be free to edit the import file as you wish or construct your own fantasy draft, if you have the time and desire :)

2017 NHL36 Expansion Draft
Welcome to the 2017 NHL36 expansion draft! First off, let's go over the rules that governed this draft:
1) Vegas is exempt from the draft since they themselves just acquired their players.
2) Only NHL-contracted players are eligible. Expansion teams cannot chose unsigned prospects.
3) LTIR guys with questionable futures such as Bolland, Hossa, Lupul, etc were exempt and could not be selected as cap relief for their current teams.
4) Rather than get into the complexities of contractual situations, there is simply a rule whereby any players 20 years of age or younger at the end of 2017 (born 1997 or later) is automatically exempt and does not need to be protected. This means current teams do not have to waste protection spots on their top young players on ELC's.
5) Any no trade or movement clauses are null and void for the purpose of this draft.
6) The salary cap floor is null and void.
7) All 30 existing teams are able to protect 12 forwards, 6 defenders and 2 goalies.
8) All 30 existing teams will lose 5 players each. This means each of the 5 expansion teams will start with a roster stocked with 30 players under contract.
9) Existing teams can lose at max: 1 goalie, 3 defenders and 4 forwards. So once a goalie is selected from an existing team, no other goalies from that team can be chosen. It also prevents 5 forwards or defensemen from being selected from a single team, thereby killing that team's professional depth chart.
10) The order of the draft is determined randomly and will run in "snake" fashion. 1-2-3-4-5-5-4-3-2-1, etc.
11) The draft is grouped into 5 rounds of 30 picks total (6 by each new club). The purpose is that in each round, when a player is selected from an existing team, that team can no longer lose any players until the next round. It prevents one team from losing 5 players right off the bat and it adds a layer of selection strategy - your franchise may want to select Joe Blow from New Jersey but if another team in front of you selects John Doe from New Jersey - Joe Blow will no longer be available to you for the duration of that round. He may be available to you in the next round but you may have to make sure you get him before another New Jersey player is selected by another team.
12) Each expansion team, as part of their 30 man roster must ensure they have at minimum 3 goalies, 9 defensemen and 15 forwards. That totals 27 so the 3 additional players can be at any position desired.
13) There are some decent young prospects that are exposed in the draft so in terms of drafting strategy, expansion clubs should look to blend a good mix of vets and youth and not simply stack one position with 6 or 7 guys who are all NHL players but are grinders at best and over age 35.

Expansion Draft Results
Here are the results of the draft, as conducted by me based on the NHL36 database. The depth charts are sorted by "project lines" and not strictly by rating or anything, FYI:

Note that Quebec tried to work in a fair amount of Quebec-native players such as Domingue, Fucale, Beauchemin, Deslauriers, Gauthier, Gaudreau, Aube-Kubel :-D

The idea here wasn't to give each of these 5 teams the same access to quality that Vegas had - that would deplete the real existing teams way too much. But it does give each expansion team a jump start with a workable roster and a combination of vets and youth to build from. :thup:
BKarchitect
Minor League

Postby BKarchitect » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:55 pm

Here is the NHL EXPANSION DRAFT XLSX file that I used to conduct the draft with the rules I listed above. It's filled out as my particular draft occurred so highlight the players and clear the picks and depth charts to reset everything for your own draft. Of course you can make up your own rules but the players listed are the complete exposed list based on my particular expansion draft rules. So you're not going to see Connor McDavid listed and if you want Seattle to have him, you'll have to do it manually or export your own NHL player list from the database.

THIS IS NOT THE XLSX FILE YOU IMPORT INTO THE DATABASE - THIS IS ONLY TO TRY AND HELP YOU CONDUCT YOUR OWN EXPANSION DRAFT IF YOU SO DESIRE! I WILL BE POSTING THE IMPORT FILE LATER TODAY!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yenblh1mwsu9fxd/NHL%20Expansion%20Draft%20List.xlsx?dl=0

You will notice 4 tabs in the file:

"Available Players" - this is the list of exposed players. You can sort by team, age, CA or PA and add who selected them. When they get selected I highlight them a color (red) to know they've been selected and when a team reaches a threshold that causes other players to be unavailable, they get highlighted as well (yellow) to know that they are now off-limits. So when a goalie gets selected from a team, all other goalies on that team are now unavailable. Or when you hit 3 defenders (no more defenders can be chosen), 4 forwards (no more forwards can be chosen) or 5 total players (every team loses 5 players). I simplified players by what their primary position is to make filling in depth charts easier but of course many of these players play multiple sides or positions very well.

"Expansion Picks" - this is where I simply list how the draft is progressing. By random number, Seattle went first.

"Round Check-Off" - I used this to ensure every existing club only lost 1 player per round. For example, Seattle picked James Reimer from Florida #1 overall. Nobody else can be selected from Florida until all 29 other teams also lost a player.

"Expansion Teams" - This is where I filled in depth charts and verified compliance with roster construction.

Note that this all takes quite a bit of time but I know some EHM gamers really like to get detailed and customized so it's really up to you how much tweaking you want to do. If you just want to pick a team whose roster looks intriguing and run with it, then you'll simply download the newest NHL36 database and use the IMPORT FILE XLSX I will be posting later today!
BKarchitect
Minor League

Postby BKarchitect » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:27 am

NHL36 Expansion Draft Import File
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jpu4brpevzhp9c6/NHL36%20Expansion%20Draft%20IMPORT%20FILE.xlsx?dl=0

This file, once imported into the NHL36 database via the EHM Editor will fill the expansion teams with the expansion draft results I listed above. This is also the file you will ultimately need to tweak to create your own custom draft results or custom expansion team start-up.

The NHL36 database will continue to be updated based on real life transactions and the database will always leave the expansion teams blank. To start a more current game in the future but with expansion teams filled in, you would simply download the latest NHL36 database file and re-run the Import File again. So you can always have the team setup you want!

I will run you through the process step-by-step:

Here is what you will see in the Import File XLSX:

- The "First Name", "Second Name" and "DateofBirth" columns are how the editor knows what player you are talking about. They need to be exactly as shown in the editor/game or you will get an error. But the previous post with the expansion draft lists are directly exported from the same DB and have these exact columns so really all you need to do is copy and paste from the XLSX to this Import XLSX. If you want to add Connor McDavid or somebody else not listed in the available expansion draft players, you can either enter his name and DOB in manually or re-export the entire NHL player list from the database. If you get an error this upon import, 99% chance you have a name mis-spelled or DOB wrong (needs to be DDMMYY format).

- "Club Contracted" and "Club Playing For" are self-explanatory, both fields need to have the expansion teams full name. Some expansion draft choices are currently loaned in Europe so this will ensure that every pick gets to start playing for the expansion team on day 1.

- "Date Joined" will always be 1.7.2017 so that the CPU registers that each of these players is new to the team as of this current season.

- You will NOT adjust the "Contract Expiry" or "Yearly Salary" fields because we are simply transferring actual real contracts to new clubs.

That's it folks. To change your team composition, simply exchange out the players I have in there with the ones you choose in your draft or just go crazy and do whatever you want!

Also note there are tons of other fields in the import file - if you've played around with importing/exporting, they'll be familiar to you but if not - you can adjust everything from the player's nationality to the players ratings and attributes here...just like you can in a more graphical mode in the editor itself. If you don't have a lot of experience, I wouldn't muck around with it too much BUT - here is one case where it may be useful. In my database, say I have "Player X" rated at 130 CA and 140 PA - and you're just like "pfffff - dude is totally underrating Player X"...well you can go ahead and make those adjustments in this import file and that way whenever a new NHL36 database comes out and you run the import, you'll always get that player rated the way YOU want them to be. Pretty useful.

In the editor, to import, go to the "Tools" tab, click "Import Spreadsheet", make sure the XLSX option is checked, hit the "Import Spreadsheet" button and find the file...

If you are successful, you will see the following:

If you get errors, it will let you know...I would abort the import at that point, open the errors file it generates to see what went wrong, fix the Import file and re-import...only accept the import if there are no errors.

And in a few seconds flat, you can stock every each expansion team to your liking (not to mention make other desired tweaks) while always being able to utilize the most-up-to-date NHL36 database file. Have fun! :joy:

BKarchitect
Minor League

Postby archibalduk » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:57 pm

The work you have been putting into this is outstanding! :notworthy:
archibalduk
Seaside + Fruit Juice Mode
TBL Admin Team

Trophies:  1   2   1

Postby BKarchitect » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:33 pm

Thanks archi - none of it would have been possible without your amazing editor!

Here's a database update as of November 13, 2017 6:33 CDT
https://www.dropbox.com/s/clw4jwqr9jmch79/NHL%2036%20v1.2.zip?dl=0
- Updated transactions
- Fixed a few prospects issues (Safin now on Saint John, Tanner Latsch corrected birthday)
- Added a couple hundred real 2018, 19 and 20 draft prospects...lots from Sweden and Russia
- Continued tweaking future drafts to produce better and higher quality NHL prospects with a few superstar prospects based on trends from this season...for example, Jack Hughes is really going to be a gem with instant impact from the 2019 draft now and besides Lafreniere, the 2020 draft will now see guys like Alexander Holtz and Quinton Byfield enter that "uber prospect" territory
- Includes some handedness and DOB corrections that were pointed out to me now as well

Here's a re-link to the NHL36 Expansion Draft file - nothing is different about it than what I originally posted, I just will make a habit of always linking that download whenever I do a database update for convenience. Remember, to start the 5 expansion teams with filled rosters via my rather elaborate mock expansion draft, simply load the db into the editor, import this file and save. Or edit this file and import your own experience whenever there is a database update!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jpu4brpevzhp9c6/NHL36%20Expansion%20Draft%20IMPORT%20FILE.xlsx?dl=0
BKarchitect
Minor League

Postby Monette » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:56 am

There is the misstakes I had seen :

Yannick Veilleux dont have any NHL contract, he's on an AHL contract with Laval
Right to Maxim Shalunov for Chicago aren't there
Jan Hladonik supposed to be with Blainville-Boisbriand
Charlie Roy with Shawinigan Cataractes and at this moment with Terrebonne Cobras in the QJHL
Check QMJHL's teams, a lot of minors moves aren't been made
Alex Barré-Boulet isn't 6'2 - 229, same for Jeremy Belisle
Monette
Prospect

Postby raipeh » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:46 am

Monette wrote:There is the misstakes I had seen :

Yannick Veilleux dont have any NHL contract, he's on an AHL contract with Laval
Right to Maxim Shalunov for Chicago aren't there
Jan Hladonik supposed to be with Blainville-Boisbriand
Charlie Roy with Shawinigan Cataractes and at this moment with Terrebonne Cobras in the QJHL
Check QMJHL's teams, a lot of minors moves aren't been made
Alex Barré-Boulet isn't 6'2 - 229, same for Jeremy Belisle

Mike Hoffman from the Ottawa Senators has a stickhandling skill of 1 (I'm using 1-20 rating system).
Minnesota Wild prospect Ales Stezka is very overweight!

These from the top of my head. Awesome work with the database, BKArkhitect!
raipeh
Junior League

Postby BKarchitect » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:42 pm

Thanks for the corrections guys I'll get them in the next update later today along with the NHL trades.

A couple notes...

- For some reason many Euro guys above a certain age, even though I've given them NHL rights in the editor - the game doesn't factor those rights when you start. My workaround has been this - I generally configure those guys to come over automatically on an NHL entry level deal when their contract with their European team ends. This way these players can eventually get a try-out with the NHL team who actually owns their rights. That is why in the game Nikita Gusev will come over to Vegas automatically after his KHL deal ends. The alternative is that nobody has his NHL rights and anybody can sign him for free and that is unfair to Vegas. Same with Merzlikins to Columbus and a few others. I will configure Shalunov the same way for now.

- Thanks for the obvious error with Hoffman's stickhandling since he's great at that. I don't really want to get into debates over ratings in general - I am going more for a "feel" to the database than like super accuracy (that's what the TBL database is for!) but obvious errors like this please, absolutely point out to me to get corrected...poor Mike Hoffman is probably muffing the puck in my game every time it hits his stick. It's a wonder he can put up any points with that rating! :-D

EDIT: UPDATED DB (November 15, 7:45 PM CDT)
- Includes the errors fixed above, recent trades, etc and some more tweaking of NHL depth charts
BKarchitect
Minor League

Postby BKarchitect » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:13 pm

Update time...

NHL36 Database - November 21, 18:15 CDT

- More minor error fixes
- Transactions updates (Abramov on Victoriaville, Gawdin under Flames contract, Atkinson extension etc, etc)
- Some re-working/rating of future drafts based on more 2018/2019/2020 draft previews, scouting reports, etc

Expansion Draft File as Usual you can chose to apply or not to the database to jump-start the 5 new teams
Last edited by BKarchitect on Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
BKarchitect
Minor League

Postby BKarchitect » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:26 pm

NHL36 Wonderkids Guide - Updated: November 21, 2017
Inspired by all the online guides for Football Manager "Wonderkid Guides" out there that attempt to steer you to some future stars in that particular sim, I thought I'd go over some names you'll want to play close attention to in future drafts, especially if you choose the challenge of guiding one of the 5 new expansion clubs in NHL36. Building through the draft will be vital and the best way for you to obtain franchise-changing stars will be to develop them yourselves as you will have limited trade-able resources to start with and you may not be a preferred free agent destination right from the start.

Of course, use EHM's powerfully and well-developed scouting system to determine your final choices. Not every young player in every game will develop the same even if they have high potential. But some of these guys below are going to be awfully hard to screw up! The results below are based on a sim I have going that is through the summer of 2021 so we can start to see how quickly some of these youngsters make their mark. Keep in mind also that with 5 extra teams and close to 120+ extra NHL spots up for grabs, you'll see some top youngsters brought up quite quickly by the CPU GM's - whether the CPU GM's always make the right move in terms of each player's development however is quite questionable!

2018 Draft

- Rasmus Dahlin, LHD, Sweden: Dahlin is a no-brainer. Almost always goes #1 overall in 2018 and can step in right from the draft as a top-pairing defender...and, if you are an expansion team, he'll probably be your top overall talent from day 1 as well and there is no reason not to immediately sign him from his SHL club, Frolunda, upon drafting. Sublime in all aspects of the game - technical, mental and physical. While his offensive skillset is superb - don't expect him to be another Erik Karlsson. Dahlin is a very good skater but lacks the all-out explosive skating and flair of Karlsson. In this sim, Dahlin went #1 overall to Quebec. His rookie year produced 15 goals, 40 points and a 7.31 rating. His next two seasons saw his point totals drop to 23 and 29 points but to be fair Quebec have remained an absolutely terrible team and his ratings have gone up each year - up to 7.50 last season. He's missed only 1 game in that time span and logs massive #1 defender minutes, also manning both the top PP and top PK units. At age 21 he is already rated as Sweden's 3rd top player behind only fellow superstar defensemen Erik Karlsson and Victor Hedman.

- Andrei Svechnikov, RW, Russia: Most year's Svechnikov would be an easy #1 - so the top 2 of the 2018 draft is where you want to end up as he's a glorious consolation prize if you miss out on Dahlin. You may even consider him taking #1 if you are struggling to score because Svech will help cure that issue in a hurry. He's got a blistering shot, freight-train speed and a solid mental game to boot. Never going to be a defensive stalwart though. Think of him as the next Ovechkin but doesn't quite have the rampaging physical game that young Ovechkin had. Still - what you have is one heck of a player. After a ho-hum season in Barrie in the OHL during his draft year (I think he was bored), Svech was drafted by the lucky-@$$ Bruins in this particular sim #2 overall. His rookie year produced a whopping 44 goals and 78 points and the Calder Trophy and he has since followed that up with a 34 goal, 79 point season and 47 goal, 83 point season with a whopping 8.17 rating. He's holding out right now in August 2021 though after the end of his ELC - the Bruins are scared he might threaten to go back to the KHL. Always something to consider!

- Filip Zadina, RW, Czech Republic: While there is clear separation with the top 2, you won't be in bad shape at pick #3 because Zadina is a first overall caliber talent some years. He's got slick hands and tons of flair and has very good offensive skills all the way around. His defensive play, grit and strength aren't that great but you're not getting him to play on a checking line. He was drafted #3 overall by the Canucks in this sim and stepped in right after being picked with a very promising 26 goal, 48 point rookie season in Vancouver. He then exploded his sophomore season into a real star with 41 goals and 66 points before regressing his third season back to 27 goals and 51 points. This may suggest there are some consistency issues (or it may be a usage issue on his team) but even so, he's clearly got the ability to be a first line star winger and quickly becomes one of the best Czech players in the game.

- Adam Boqvist, RHD, Sweden: Amazingly he's only the second best Swedish defender in this draft but he's still a potential star. While he pales in comparison to Dahlin on the defensive and physical end, Boqvist has the same elite offensive skills - plus he's a more explosive skater and has more flair. You'll want him manning your PP right away although he'll probably never be a go-to PK guy. In this sim, Vegas took him 8th overall and he stepped in right away and made an impact. His three NHL seasons this far have point totals of 33, 38 and 46 points and at age 21, he's primed to see those point totals continue to cimb.

- Brady Tkachuk, LW, United States: A chip off the old block from father Keith and brother Matthew, Brady is a fiery and hard-hitting winger with excellent play-making skills. His skillset isn't amazing but he's very well-rounded with very little weakness in his game. He's at Boston University during his draft year and it will be tempting to sign him up right after drafting him like the Islanders did in this sim after picking him #14 overall. Had a terrific 46 point rookie season and has followed that up with seasons of 34 and 51 points. Probably settles in more ideally as a second line winger but could also be the grit and grind guy used to bring balance to a top line.

- Quinn Hughes, LHD, United States: The small but slick defender is part of this new age of the NHL where smaller guys with sick skills and high intelligence are making an impact and Hughes is certainly all those things. Tremendous passer and his great determination and teamwork have prevented his size from being an issue even at the NHL level. Drafted 11th overall by Chicago in this sim, they allowed Quinn to stay at the University of Michigan for two seasons before bringing him in last season where he had a 22 point rookie campaign. On a lesser club than the Blackhawks, you may consider signing him much sooner - it really depends on whether you think his low strength can hold up early on.

- Ty Smith, LHD, Canada: Smith is a finesse-oriented defender who relies on his intelligence, determination and incredible passing and vision. Compared to Hughes above, Smith is a bit larger, not quite as explosive and a more well-rounded defensively because his larger frame allows him to do a bit more. He was drafted 6th overall by Kansas City in this sim and has been in the NHL ever since; his career high thus far is a 32 point effort. I have a feeling he might have benefited in this sim from another year in juniors to continue to work on his strength but he's still looking like a solid top 4 guy at age 21.

- Jakob Skarek, G, Czech Republic: While the real NHL has trended away from picking goalies highly, let me just say this: if you have a top pick in the 2018 draft in the NHL36 database - you may want to consider Skarek because he's special. Seattle drafted him #4 overall in this sim and they certainly don't regret it. They were smart too - after drafting him they immediately signed him and then let him play most of his first year with their AHL affiliate to adapt to North America. By his sophomore year at age 19 he had already blossomed into a legit NHL starter and last year, his third season, he started 54 games with a 2.55 GAA, 0.913 SV% and 7.70 rating. He's got it all from a goalie standpoint; killer reflexes and agility, top notch positioning and balance and a ridiculous glove hand. Franchise goalie in the making; the only question is how high do you take a goalie?

- Bode Wilde, RHD, United States: Wilde is a strapping physical specimen with very solid offensive tools. He's a bit raw defensively and not the world's best skater so he's a bit of a project. The Isles drafted him 15th overall in this sim and let him play one year at the University of Michigan before signing him to an ELC. He crushed NCAA competition but has found pro adaption a bit more challenging even though for the past two seasons he has been a regular on the Islanders blueline. I think he could have used an additional year at UM or in the AHL, personally.

- Joe Veleno, C, Canada: Veleno is a solid all-around pivot with excellent upside but even so, this particular sim shows that even guy with big upside need to be handled correctly or their career is at risk of cratering. The Wild drafted Veleno #13 overall and ended up dealing his rights to the Islanders. After spending 2018-19 with Saint John in the QMJHL, the Isles brought him in the following season where he disappointed with 5 assists (no goals) in 30 games. He spent the rest of that year and all of this past season in the AHL where he managed only 36 points in 80 games. He's still young but it may be hard for him to reach his potential in this sim. He was badly rushed and then toiled on a poor AHL team. Now Veleno is on this list because his talent and upside is big and things may go completely different in your game. But this is also a word of warning to develop your top young prospects carefully.

- Olvier Wahlstrom, C, United States: Wahlstrom is an explosive, goal-scoring center with a wicked shot. He's got loads of offensive potential though he's not terribly well-rounded in the physical and defensive departments. Those soft spots may prevent him from being a true franchise center but he definitely has the potential to be your top offensive option and a top scorer in the NHL. Montreal drafted him #10 overall in this sim and wisely let him spend the next year developing with Harvard in the NCAA. He then exploded for 31 goals and 52 points his rookie year, earning the Calder Trophy and last season took an even bigger leap with 32 goals and 69 points. Just a real weapon up front with a nose for the net. Pair him with a playmaking winger for maximum effect as he's not going to be the natural distributor on any top line.

- Akil Thomas, C, Canada: Thomas is an interesting case study who may present you with a dilemma similar to the one he presented Saskatchewan in this sim, who drafted him #7 overall. Thomas is an absolute burner with impressive speed and athleticism and he's a well-rounded young player with loads of upside. The dilemma is this: his speed and well-rounded game will play in the NHL (albeit on a lower line) right away so do you play him in the NHL or do you let him destroy the OHL and develop that way? The Whitetails, as an expansion team desperate for depth, chose to play him in the NHL and his three NHL seasons thus far have amounted to 32, 24 and 23 points as he's been on the lower lines. Still only 21, his big jump may come soon - or not at all, we will just have to wait and see.

- Ryan McLeod, C, Canada: Ryan is Matthew McLeod's (New Jersey) younger and probably more talented brother. Like Thomas, McLeod has the all-around traits of a potentially super gifted top 6 center. Great skater and defensive conscious like his brother with a bit more playmaking ability baked in. Milwaukee drafted him 5th overall and he has not disappointed, stepping in from day one with a 48 point rookie season followed by consecutive 52 point seasons playing on both the PP and PK. Just a really solid talent.

- Vitali Kravtsov, RW, Russia: Kravtsov is a speedy offensive winger who can distribute and snipe and while he's never going to be a Selke candidate, he's got enough defensive acumen to not be a liability. The question with Kravtsov is how easily you can get him to come over from Russian, where he's already got a comfy gig with Traktor. Philly picked him 9th overall in this sim and how no issues; they let him play one additional year in Russia and then brought him over; he's had NHL seasons of 44 and 36 points and looks like he will easily be a top 6 winger in the near future.

- Ryan Merkley, RHD, Canada: Merkley is a bit of a polarizing talent; from a pure production standpoint, he's probably worthy of a top 5 pick in this draft. He's that good offensively; he's an amazing skater and passer with loads of flair. He will run your top PP from the jump. He's also incredibly finesse-oriented with low defensive ability (it would be low for a forward and Ryan is a defender!). Buffalo swooped for him at #12 overall and the gamble has paid off handsomely as the offensive defender has put forth seasons of 39, 54 and 45 points in his young career. Pair him with a defense-first partner, keep him away from opposing top lines and off the PK but let him skate wild on the PP and he looks like he'll be a force in the offensive zone for a decade to come. He's highly flawed but a huge weapon.

- Milos Roman, C, Slovakia: Always fun to see top young players from non-power countries and while Slovakia has a long history of hockey stars, they've been a bit barren recently. Enter Roman who is a super-smooth skater with high intelligence and solid technical tools. Vancouver snagged him at 19th overall (after scouting him playing for the hometown Vancouver Giants in the WHL) and after a year developing in the AHL, he burst onto the NHL scene with 27 goals and 61 points in a rookie season that saw him dealt to Ottawa. In his first full season in Ottawa he backed that up with a 53 point effort and looks like one of the steals of the draft.

The players listed below aren't necessarily worse than the guys with bios above...these are more big talents, it's just that in this particular sim they weren't drafted as high or have yet to break out in the same way...and there are plenty of other wild cards not even listed. It's a starting point though!
- Other Top 2018 Goalie Prospects to Scout: Alexis Gravel, Lukas Dostal, Jacob Ingham, Olivier Rodrigue, Amir Miftakhov
- Other Top 2018 Defensive Prospects to Scout: Jared McIsaac, Jett Woo, Noah Dobson, Evan Bouchard, Calen Addison, Mattias Samuelsson, Alexander Alexeyev, Danila Galenyuk, K'Andre Miller, Giovanni Vallati
- Other Top 2018 Winger Prospects to Scout: Joel Farabee, Jesse Ylonen, Grigori Denisenko, Anderson MacDonald, Filip Hallander, Jakub Lauko, Dominik Bokk, Serron Noel, Blake McLaughlin, Phillip Kurashev, Gabriel Fortier, Nando Eggenberger, Vladislav Kotkov
- Other Top 2018 Center Prospects to Scout: Allan McShane, Jesperi Kotkaniemi, Ty Dellandrea, Isac Lundestrom, Jack McBain, Jacob Olofsson, Barrett Hayton, Rasmus Kupari, Benoit-Olivier Groulx

2019 Draft

- Jack Hughes, C, United States: Hughes is quickly making a name for himself as the phenom to get in the 2019 draft. Absurd skating ability and speed, flair, great determination and teamwork and all the tools in the offensive tool chest, Hughes may be only 5'-11" but that won't stop him from becoming a star. With his sublime playmaking ability, he reminds many of previous young scoring phenoms and now NHL stars like Clayton Keller and Mitch Marner. Hughes starts in the USNDTP and wants to play in college but really, once you draft him, there's no point. Stick him in your line-up as a top scoring center and away you go. Seattle drafted him #1 overall in this sim; he put up 59 points in his rookie year then exploded as a sophomore this past season with 24 goals and 80 points. A no-doubt sure-fire franchise center!

- Bowen Byram, D, Canada: While Hughes is probably untouchable as the #1 pick in 2019 - depending on team needs, standout defender Byram could be the one guy to challenge him for that top spot. A tremendous skater with flair, determination, endurance and slick playmaking skills, Byram needs a bit of polish defensively but has all the makings of a #1 NHL defender. The Sharks picked him #3 in this sim and he's produced 27 and 23 point seasons with a solid 7.21 average stepping directly into a top 4 role in San Jose right out of the draft.

- Peyton Krebs, C, Canada: Krebs is an elite center talent with explosive speed and a complete offensive arsenal. He still needs some developing physically and can be pushed off the puck by big, physical defenders but there's no doubt he's NHL ready soon after being drafted. The Flames picked him #2 in this game and he's produced seasons of 52 and 53 points. Still just 20 and entering his third season, he's poised to take the next step towards being a #1 center in the NHL.

- Victor Soderstrom, RHD, Sweden: Continuing the lineage of standout Swede defenders in recent drafts (Brannstrom, Liljegren, Dahlin, Boqvist) is Soderstrom, yet another offensive dynamo from the blueline. His skillset probably sits somewhere between the all-out offensive flair of Boqvist and the more tempered, all-around greatness of Dahlin. Explosively fast and a creative playmaker he even has the makings of an above-average defensive mind if given time to develop. The Scouts drafted him #4 overall and he's done nothing but impress, following a 35 point rookie campaign with a brilliant 51 point, +17, 7.60 rating sophomore season.

- Artemi Knyazev, LHD, Russia: Knyazev is a sensational skater from the blueline with high-level intelligence and good offensive upside. He needs time to develop physically and after drafting him 6th overall, the Whitetails wisely let him stay in Russia with Ak Bars an additional season before bringing him across the pond last season where he put up 21 points playing top 4 minutes as a rookie.

- Ryan Suzuki, C, Canada: The younger brother of another OHL standout, Nick Suzuki, Ryan is even more talented and has a bigger frame than Nick. Fast and supremely smart on the ice, Suzuki is more finesse oriented but still has the makings of an all-around #1 center. Drafted in this sim by Ottawa at 9th overall, he had a decent rookie year of 25 points but then took a big leap this past season as a sophomore, putting up 26 goals and 52 points as he worked his way into a top 6 role while still a teenager.

- Dylan Cozens, C, Canada: Cozens is a big, strapping center out of Western Canada. Great strength and balance and not afraid to go to the net to score dirty goals. Not the greatest natural playmaker, Cozens may eventually find his calling as a power winger and not center at the NHL level. The Golden Knights drafted him 8th overall and have brought him along slowly, keeping him in the WHL for a year and then giving him a limited role in the NHL last season as a rookie with 16 points in 69 games.

- Alex Newhook, C, Canada: The 2019 draft is rich at the top with big-time centers and Newhook has as much potential as any of them, outside perhaps Hughes. Newhook plays a mature, all-around game and has game-breaking speed. He has yet to make his NHL debut but the Wings, who drafted him 10th overall, just signed him from Boston College and much will be expected of him this season in his rookie campaign.

- Alex Turcotte, RW, United States: Probably the one talent in this draft who can challenge Hughes for pure offensive talent is fellow American Alex Turcotte. Blinding speed, amazing stick work and deking ability and a ferocious, never-say-die attitude - Turcotte will need to be nurtured slowly but the upside is immense. The Canadiens picked him 11th overall and then let him dominate the NCAA with Wisconsin before signing him this off-season. Without question an early Calder favorite for next season.

- Cole Caufield, RW, United States: Jack Hughes' NDTP partner in (offensive) crime, Caufield is a diminutive winger at 5'-7" and his overall upside at the NHL level may be hampered by this - nonetheless, he's really quite an extraordinary young sniper with a heart and determination that overcomes his size. After being drafted 17th overall by Carolina, he amazingly stepped directly into the NHL and scored 23 goals as a rookie, followed by 26 as a sophomore. He's just a consistent producer at every single level despite his size disadvantage.

- Nolan Foote, LW, Canada: Elite bloodlines with father Adam and brother Callan (Tampa Bay) - Nolan plays on the opposite side of the ice as a power winger with top notch goal scoring potential. He's big, strong and has a wicked wrist shot. More of a north-south forward, he can be the triggerman for a more creative, skilled center. Drafted 18th overall by Washington, he just notched 22 goals in his sophomore campaign in the NHL.

- Spencer Knight, G, United States: Knight is a big, rangy goalie with elite upside - one of two American goalies in this draft that show immense promise. Drafted 15th overall by Arizona, he stayed a year at Boston College in the NCAA, going an amazing 28-5 before signing this past summer. He is expected to win at least the backup role this season as a rookie.

- Dustin Wolf,G, United States: The other American, potential franchise goalie, in this draft is Wolf who followed in Carter Hart's footsteps in Everett in the CHL. He spent one additional season there after getting drafted but debuted in the NHL last season in Milwaukee where by mid-season, at the age of 19, he had become the undisputed starter.

- Josh Williams, RW, Canada: Williams is a speedy, flashy playmaking winger whois raw defensively but posses top line offensive ability. He'll probably need to be brought along slowly, as the Panthers have done after drafting him 21st overall in 2019. They let hi stay in Medicine Hat through his 19 year-old season where he just posted monster numbers - 65 goals and 153 points in just 64 games. A prime Calder contender this upcoming season.

The players listed below aren't necessarily worse than the guys with bios above...these are more big talents, it's just that in this particular sim they weren't drafted as high or have yet to break out in the same way...and there are plenty of other wild cards not even listed. It's a starting point though!
- Other Top 2019 Goalie Prospects to Scout: Taylor Gauthier, Hunter Jones, Luke Cavallin
- Other Top 2019 Defensive Prospects to Scout: Nikita Okhotyuk, Mikko Kokkonen, Tobias Bjornfoot, Alex Vlasic, Ilya Mironov, Anttoni Honka, Matthew Robertson, Marshall Warren, Case McCarthy, Ben Brinkman, Michael Vukojevic, Cam York, Anthony Aguanno, Jackson van de Leest, Simon Lundmark
- Other Top 2019 Winger Prospects to Scout: Daniil Gutik, Vasili Podkolzin, Kaapo Kakko, Matthew Boldy, Sasha Mutala, Xavier Parent, Massimo Rizzo, Leevi Aaltonen, Nils Hoglander, Arthuer Kaliyev, Michal Teply
- Other Top 2019 Center Prospects to Scout: John Beecher, Jakob Pelletier, Kirby Dach, Samuel Poulin, Henri Nikkanen, Matvei Guskov, Albin Grewe, Antti Saarela, Jamieson Rees, Valentin Nussbaumer, Dmitri Sheshin, Isac Andersson

2020 Draft

- Alexis Lafreniere C, Canada: Long hailed as the gem of the 2020 draft, Lafreniere finds himself with some company at the top but he's still the likely choice to go #1 overall and he's one of the best Canadian center prospects to come into the league since MacDavid. Lafreniere is solidly built from a physical standpoint and has the complete package you look for in a franchise center. Skating ability? Check. Intelligence? Check. Determination? Check. Playmaking skills and creativity? Check. Lethal shot? Check. Above average defensive game? Check. Lafreniere is simply a "can't miss" player and he'll step in for your club right after being drafted just like he did in this sim after the Scouts took him #1 overall. He finished his rookie year with 32 goals and 64 points in 72 games as well as winning the Calder Trophy.

- Quinton Byfield C, Canada: We said Lafreniere had some competition in a 2020 draft that has multiple elite talents at the top and Byfield is probably his main threat for that #1 spot. A tall, rangy center - Byfield is also potentially a franchise-changing talent. While not as well-rounded as Lafreniere, he is perhaps even more explosive and can dismantle a defense in a myriad of ways. Carolina got the chance to pick him #2 overall after Lafreniere and he stepped in and rivaled Lafreniere the whole way in their rookie seasons. Byfield actually out-pointed Lafreniere with 31 goals and 66 points, albeit in 82 games - 10 more than Lafreniere and that was the difference in the Calder voting. These two could be both NHL rivals and Team Canada super-friends for a very, very long time to come.

- Alexander Holtz, LW, Sweden: The top of the draft is also well-represented with some young Swedish superstars, none better than deadly winger Alexander Holtz. Holtz is not the flashiest skater nor a natural playmaker but he has an excellent frame and sniping instincts that are second to none. He's a guy with a hunger to score goals and once he fully develops, he's got the elite kind of talent to be one of the top snipers in the NHL. Quebec took him #4 overall and brought him over from Sweden right away - his 16 goal, 35 point rookie campaign may not compare to Lafreniere's or Byfield's but keep in mind he's got an adjustment period to North American hockey to go through. Expect his goal totals to soar in season two.

- Daniil Gushchin, C, Russia: Gushchin may not be as NHL ready as Lafreniere or Byfield but the Russian pivot's potential is not far off from those two. In fact, in terms of sheer offensive wizardry, he may be the best of the trio. Brilliant stick handling, super creative, amazing one-on-one moves and a deft playmaker, Gushchin's only shortcoming is his lack of defensive play. But considering what he could potentially do for you offensively - who really cares! Vegas took him #3 overall and he's taken an interesting path. His draft year he suited up for hometown CSKA and Vegas wanted to bring him over the following summer but he chose to sign a lucrative two-year deal with Bern in the NLA in Switzerland. Which means Vegas will have to wait an additional year to bring him over. He's clearly ready to scorch NHL defenses but we will have to wait till 2022-23 to see him in the NHL - expect him to be a heavy, heavy Calder favorite by that time.

- Kaiden Guhle, D, Canada: Guhle is the brother of Sabres player Brendan Guhle and the WHL star is probably the #1 defensive prospect in a draft class that will go down being known for its star forwards. But don't sleep on Guhle who has the complete package with size, skating, terrific playmaking ability and definite defensive upside with high-level intelligence. He may need a bit of seasoning but Seattle took him #5 overall in this sim and threw him directly into the fire. He played well for a teenager in a difficult role with 16 points and a 6.91 rating - not eye-popping stats but watch for him to continue developing over time into a real #1 defender.

more to come...
BKarchitect
Minor League

Postby BKarchitect » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:57 am

Bump for an update to the wonderkids section and also below for updated files:

NHL36 Database - November 22, 18:50 CDT

- Typical transaction updates for major leagues including NCAA recruits
- Some update errors and height/weight fixes
- Continued massaging of NHL franchise depth charts, including some updates involving rookie AHL standouts, defensive depth chart updates based on ice time and usage and increased defensive ratings to guys who are seeing big penalty killing roles this season

Expansion Draft File as Usual you can chose to apply or not to the database to jump-start the 5 new teams - there is a slight update to this file as some trades and recent cuts (Rodin, Paigin) have affected to the draft so you will notice a difference or two on the rosters of a few of the clubs:
BKarchitect
Minor League

Previous

Return to Game Add-ons & TBL Rosters Forum