EHM Challenge #45

Challenge #45 - 1998 NY Islanders - Discussion Thread

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.
Forum rules
Don't forget to check out your General Manager Profile to help gauge your performances in the Challenges! You can also look back at your career history on your Challenge Career History Profile.

Re: Challenge #45 - 1998 NY Islanders - Discussion Thread

Postby nine-o » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:37 pm

Canadian Passport wrote:Season 9 is in the books and I think I might be pretty bad at this game. So far no Stanley Cups, I just lost to the Jets in 7 games in the first round. The best I've done so far was making the Eastern Finals in season 6.

Winning is heavily dependent upon tactics I find - there's a few good ones (Shameless self promotion: this includes my own "simple tactic") in the game knowledge discussion forum, but at the end of the day you've gotta watch the 2d for ages to get a sense of what works for you... and honestly, who gives a shi.... care, as long as its fun!
nine-o
Prospect

Postby Canadian Passport » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:52 pm

nine-o wrote:Winning is heavily dependent upon tactics I find - there's a few good ones (Shameless self promotion: this includes my own "simple tactic") in the game knowledge discussion forum, but at the end of the day you've gotta watch the 2d for ages to get a sense of what works for you... and honestly, who gives a shi.... care, as long as its fun!

I don't use the 2D anymore. It never showed what was really happening and at the higher highlight levels I'm pretty sure it alters the way the game is simmed and gives some very strange stats. I set highlights to None now and I think the results are more realistic that way.
Canadian Passport
Prospect

Postby Canadian Passport » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:08 pm

Won the Cup in season 10. Finally. I think I just didn't have enough aggression before, this season I upped the aggression a notch for each line during Round 1 and it made a huge difference. This was Trevor Linden's last season with the team too so it was nice to get it this season.
Canadian Passport
Prospect

Postby kennec » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:17 pm

Canadian Passport wrote:Won the Cup in season 10. Finally. I think I just didn't have enough aggression before, this season I upped the aggression a notch for each line during Round 1 and it made a huge difference. This was Trevor Linden's last season with the team too so it was nice to get it this season.

gz
nice of you keep linden so long :) i moved him for vinny in seson 2 :joy:
kennec
Top Prospect

Trophies:  2   4   2

Postby Canadian Passport » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:08 pm

kennec wrote:gz

I noticed that a lot of people in the challenge traded Linden but I wanted to keep him because he fit my tactics very well. I did notice that he didn't play well with Palffy though especially after Reichel left the team. This off season Linden ended up signing with Minnesota so I checked to see what he's making ($1.5M) and I noticed that he listed Ziggy Palffy as disliked personnel so maybe I should have traded him a long time ago but he was just so good for me (when he wasn't playing on the same line as Palffy). Linden won 5 Selke Trophies and was really good on the PK up until this season, his physical attributes deteriorated pretty much over just one year. Now Palffy and Orszagh are the only guys left from season 1.

I did finally end up moving Chara. I sent him to the Sabres before last season (10) for Mike Green and Frans Nielsen. I do need to get a decent back up goalie and a 1st pairing DFD or TWD. I'm loaded at forward right now so hopefully I can cut a couple of deals to get that done.
Canadian Passport
Prospect

Postby kennec » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:40 am

Canadian Passport wrote:
kennec wrote:gz

I noticed that a lot of people in the challenge traded Linden but I wanted to keep him because he fit my tactics very well. I did notice that he didn't play well with Palffy though especially after Reichel left the team. This off season Linden ended up signing with Minnesota so I checked to see what he's making ($1.5M) and I noticed that he listed Ziggy Palffy as disliked personnel so maybe I should have traded him a long time ago but he was just so good for me (when he wasn't playing on the same line as Palffy). Linden won 5 Selke Trophies and was really good on the PK up until this season, his physical attributes deteriorated pretty much over just one year. Now Palffy and Orszagh are the only guys left from season 1.

I did finally end up moving Chara. I sent him to the Sabres before last season (10) for Mike Green and Frans Nielsen. I do need to get a decent back up goalie and a 1st pairing DFD or TWD. I'm loaded at forward right now so hopefully I can cut a couple of deals to get that done.

Whut wage did chara have before the move? hes getting greedy in the future? or you made move of balance issues?
kennec
Top Prospect

Trophies:  2   4   2

Postby Canadian Passport » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:50 pm

kennec wrote:Whut wage did chara have before the move? hes getting greedy in the future? or you made move of balance issues?

Chara wasn't greedy. He was making $2.5 Million and still is because his contract runs through the 09/10 season. I needed two players, a legitimate 1st pairing D-Man and a good defensive or two-way Center and Buffalo had the two I wanted, Green and Nielsen. To make the deal happen I had to move Chara, Palffy, or Luongo so it was bye bye Chara.
Canadian Passport
Prospect

Postby nine-o » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:36 am

Canadian Passport wrote:Chara wasn't greedy. He was making $2.5 Million and still is because his contract runs through the 09/10 season. I needed two players, a legitimate 1st pairing D-Man and a good defensive or two-way Center and Buffalo had the two I wanted, Green and Nielsen. To make the deal happen I had to move Chara, Palffy, or Luongo so it was bye bye Chara.

I gotta get back into this - recently joined the SBHL and its more or less taken over my life haha.
nine-o
Prospect

Postby Canadian Passport » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:29 pm

nine-o wrote:I gotta get back into this - recently joined the SBHL and its more or less taken over my life haha.

I'm having a lot of fun with it. Pretty much since season 4 I've had good teams but I didn't win my first Cup until season 10. And then I repeated in season 11. I really like watching the young players come up through the system and take their place on the team. I've got a really good, experienced young core of players right now so I'll be playing a few more seasons just to see what happens. And I've also got some very promising prospects.
Canadian Passport
Prospect

Postby Canadian Passport » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:31 pm

I finally got the trades I wanted. I picked up Trent Statham from Colorado so now I've got my solid backup Goalie and I got Sami Lepisto from Pittsburgh straight up for my #7 D-man, they must have really wanted Sami gone for some reason. Anyway, that allowed me to drop Skoula to the 3rd pairing which is really where he belongs anyway and he's doing much better now and I can rest Luongo more now if I have to plus now I've got a backup I trust in case Luongo is injured.
Canadian Passport
Prospect

Postby Canadian Passport » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:03 am

I went for the three-peat and...denied with extreme prejudice! I had a rematch with the Bruins in the ECF and got smoked 4-1. They pulled a massive rent a vet at the trade DL, won the Cup and then released most of them.
Canadian Passport
Prospect

Postby Canadian Passport » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:48 pm

I just started season 15 (2012/13) and this is my first season without Ziggy Palffy.
Canadian Passport
Prospect

Previous

Return to Challenge Forum