The Blue Line

How's it going in EHM 1? What team are you?

All general EHM-related discussion goes here. It's the place to chat about gameplay or concepts NOT related to specific topics. Claim bragging rights and impress the community by posting your records! CLICK HERE to purchase your copy of EHM 1.
Forum rules
Useful Links: EHM 2005 GuideEHM 2007 GuideEHM:EA ChangelistEHM:EA User Manual

Re: How's it going in EHM 1? What team are you?

Postby braeden » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:08 am

kennec wrote:shindings-> whut creativity does liljegren have in your game? and whut roosters did you start that game with?

my liljegren is a 5-6dmen with some capability for PP2 with hes 11 creativity.

Liljegren was drafted 3rd by the Flyers in my save using the newest rosters on Steam Workshop (9.2).

He was traded to San Jose straight up for Justin Braun who isn't even with the Flyers anymore. The Hurricanes literally signed him to a contract the day he was traded. Huh. And now he signed a 1 year deal with the Capitals... Poor Braun lol

braeden
Top Prospect

Trophies:  1   2

Postby Shindigs » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:46 am

kennec wrote:shindings-> whut creativity does liljegren have in your game? and whut roosters did you start that game with?

my liljegren is a 5-6dmen with some capability for PP2 with hes 11 creativity.

It's definitely one of the better Liljegren's I've had; But even when his PA is lower I still really like what he brings to a team. This is what he looks like in my save, he's got a really awkward PA though which causes his Teamwork to pinball between 17 and 18 throughout ever season, because his total allowed attribute points clearly involve a decimal point somewhere. And this game doesn't deal well with math in pretty much any aspect.
As far as the db goes, I'm using my own version of the 8.2db with the 15-16 start date. I've spent way too many hours removing miss-spelled named from the db, fixing almost all the european wages and reputations as well as rebalancing prospects (especially goalies) for me to really want to move to the new db. As Liljegren was mostly unknown to your average NHL fan when that db was made his attributes/PA made no sense for a guy who is generally ranked #2 Overall on lists that don't favor all Centers for the top 5. In my save he ended up being a 172 PA guy, picked him up 6th overall in his draft year. He's been running the point set as the playmaker for my PP1 unit since he was 20ish years old, so he's got over a decade worth of experience at that. I think he started his career with us at like 13-14 in anticipation and creativity, so he's come quite far. The biggest reason for the performances he's been putting up is the personal tactics though, but I honestly am not sure why he's so far beyond everyone else in the save; They also have personal tactics setup to suit their attributes. I guess playing 6 minutes per game on the PP this season did help him pick up that 8.52 (highest on the team, including forwards and goalies). He also had more assists than any other blueliner had points this season, which is a bit crazy.

If for whatever reason you'd like to try the db I'm using you can get it here

Because dropbox has a very silly user interface there isn't just a download button visible, you have to go to the top right corner and click this:

I haven't really showed the spreadsheet I use to judge performance at the end of a season, but this year it does do a very good job at highlighting just how obvious it is that the 3rd line was getting shafted, and how insane our other lines were defensively:
The highlighted Min/GA tab is just the total amount of minutes played in even strength divided by the amount of conceded goals with that player on the ice. In my experience it's the most useful stat for figuring out how a player's overall defensive performance stacks up. The 3 guys who are dead last by some margin on the forward side all played the 3rd line, the only other guy sub 30 played about half the season on the 3rd line. It's not the manpower on that line that makes it bad, it's the line being cursed this season. It happens, had it happen before in this save; It's also what caused the board to hate Väyrynen, because it happened to the 4th line in his rookie season. The same thing with the 3rd defensive pairing, Hedlund and Gerling were both on it last year and significantly better. Nothing changed, but they are just being scored on for fun this season. Meanwhile the top 6 and top 4 have absolutely unreal defensive records. McPherson played over 20 minutes per game for 82 gamed and was only on the ice for 18 goals against.

The other tab that I use a lot to judge performance is the N.Inv. tab, it's essentially just a mathematical formula to get a % value of how many of the goals that would have been scored while that player was on the ice (all things equal) he was involved in (though either assist or goal). For a forward par is ~60% (since 60% of the players on the ice are forwards) and for defencemen it's ~40% (because 40% of the players on the ice are defencemen). Generally speaking there will always be a bit of a slide causing the top 6 forwards to sit closer to 80% and the bottom 6 closer to 40% due to the difference in skill and the compounding effect on scoring that more ice time has.
But it's a really useful tool for figuring out who's overperforming and underperforming; This season the standout is Eklund who had a 84% Normalized Involvement (N. Inv.) from the 4th line, that's insane! But I have already tried moving him up to the 3rd line previously and despite getting almost twice the ice time his scoring didn't increase to match. Some players are like that, they are incredibly good at overperforming with low ice time. But they don't scale with ice time at all; Because of how rare those players are it's quite valuable to hold on to them for your bottom lines as long as it is feasible. Eklund signed a 2 year 800k a year extension in the playoffs, which I was very pleased with.

Finished up the playoffs, we got absolutely shelled with injuries. I stopped counting after the 15th injury in our 2nd series, no idea how high it eventually went. Regardless Liljegren put up 23 points despite only getting 12 games; Bonar put up 26 in 13 games. I'm expecting one of them to get the Conn Smythe, but you just never know in this game. We ended up facing Philly in the Finals, it was a very one-sided affair as usual. They suffer greatly against us due to having the vast majority of their scoring coming from only two players, and we just check those two players out of the game with our style. In other playoff related news we're currently on a 61 game winning streak in the playoffs, spanning back almost 4 years.
This is what the leaderboards ended up looking like:
We're probably going to have a fair few bottom 6 players leave us this off-season. In more major news Cody Watson has sadly played his last season for us; I tried signing him to a reasonable deal in the 4.5-5M range, but he just wasn't interested. With Watson going to Free Agency I'm going to look to Gerling to take on a slightly bigger role in the team. He's not been particularly great playing on the 3rd pairing, but during the injuries in the playoffs he did show some flashes of brilliance while played at the point in PP2 and on the 2nd pairing in ES. We also have a wealth of young talent coming up from juniors over the coming years so we should be able to refill nicely. Beaulieu, a player I don't really talk about much; Is a very solid two-way defenceman who is coming off his entry this off-season. I'm hoping to be able to resign him on a reasonable bridge contract, but if he's not having it that's certainly not the end of the world. Now that I look over it again I actually see that Gerling's entry is also ending; But based on his performance thus far he shouldn't have the craziest wage demands. We're also losing both our 3rd line and 4th line Centers to RFA, I don't think I'll look to resign them; Trading away their rights seems a lot more likely.

For the 3rd line I'll be looking to bring in a more offensive minded Center for next season in the form of Ivan Sadoun; Another draft steal from the same year as DeBoer and Smyth. At the time of drafting him I thought he was Couture's regen, but he's way too tall for that now. Regardless he's looking like an amazing playmaking two-way forward. For the 4th line spot it's more up in the air, but it's probably between two of my late round swedes that have been growing quite nicely in the AHL; If the guy I picked up 210th Overall last year grows just a little bit more over summer he's going to get the nod.

The final contract ending that's somewhat major is that of Välisalmi. I'm really not quite sure what to do with him, but trading his rights looks somewhat likely at the moment as I won't have a spot for a pure RW in the top 6 for at least another 6-7 years. By that time I'll essentially have finished the save's goal of 25 Stanley Cups, so there isn't much point in trying to finagle a weird bridge contract with him until then to play him as an overskilled player on the 3rd line. On paper he's just better than McPherson in every way, but McPherson is stupidly consistent at putting up 100 points a year. I have no real doubt Välisalmi could sniff around those numbers too if he was given top line minutes, but McPherson is only 27; I'm not going to trade away someone who already has the best defensive record on the team while also being one of the top offensive performers to give his spot to someone who might become even better just because his attribute screen looks a lot more exciting. The only way I see for him to stay in the team is if I retrain him to play LW and have him slot into the 2nd line Def fwd slot after Blixt leaves us and Smyth moves into the 1st line C slot. Actually, that makes a lot of sense and also makes the amazing RW/LW swede I picked up in last year's draft superfluous. I guess the swede will be the best 3rd line RW there ever was. I haven't had one of those since Benny Grant left us a few years ago to become a top 6 player in Nashville. Now I just have to see if Välisalmi goes full Felix Tiitinen on me and wants a 6M a year bridge contract. If that's the case he's getting traded so hard he won't know what hit him.

Edit: Well, I'm pretty sure I just struck gold in the draft. You know how I mentioned Crosby went into the HoF a few years ago? Well we still haven't seen his regen pop up, this was the last possible year for a sub 180 Center from Canada that shoots left to show up in the draft. There was a grand total of 1 player who fit that description this year, but he was going 4th Overall and my first pick was 10th Overall. Imagine my surprise when said Center fell all the way to 10th:
He doesn't look like all that yet, but by process of elimination this has to be Crosby's regen. If so we're about to see some silly amounts of growth happening, and if that is the case this throws all my roster plans out the window AGAIN! I shouldn't complain though, if this is Crosby 2.0 we have the ultimate Blixt replacement.

Award ceremony is over for the year, apart from an unlikely Calder candidate and both the 2PPG playoff performers not being Conn Smythe finalists it was a pretty standard year:
Art Ross: Väyrynen(127), Bonar(111), DeBoer(105)
Maurice Richard: Bonar(59), DeBoer(52), McPherson(46)
Lester Pearson: Väyrynen, Bonar, McPherson
Norris: Liljegren, Watson, Beaulieu
Vezina: Hart, Pedersen, Lintula(Canucks)
Jennings: Pedersen, Hart
Roger Crozier: Pedersen, Hart
Selke: Väyrynen, Blixt, McDavid(Canucks)
Calder: Rozmann, Razum(Penguins), Smallwood(Devils)
Lady Byng: Bonar(0 PIM), Väyrynen(6 PIM), DeBoer(6 PIM)
King Clancy: Liljegren, Väyrynen, Milne(Canucks)
Adams: Boucher, Wright(Panthers), Houle(Flyers)
Plus-Minus: Väyrynen(114), Bonar(102), Beaulieu(96)
Hart: Liljegren, Bonar, Väyrynen
Conn Smythe: Väyrynen, DeBoer, Smyth

Liljegren picked up his 8th consecutive Hart, 9th consecutive Norris. Pedersen broke Hart's Jennings streak. The biggest surprise, mostly because I just hadn't really paid attention to it this season was Silvio Rozmann picking up the Calder from the 4th line with no PP. He was our 210th Overall pick a few years back. Not sure if he's the first Austrian to get the Calder? I honestly don't know. The runner up was Croatian, so it's nice to see some of the smaller hockey nations getting representation in that award. I actaully wanted to draft that Croatian myself, but he was taken a few picks before me. Rozmann put up 36 points (16+20) and a +32 rating with an average of 8:12 ice time. That's pretty sick for a guy who went last in his draft year. The only reason I even drafted him was that all my pre-scouted players got picked earlier than expected, so I was left with only players for positions I hadn't targeted. He really stood out from the rest with his pace and mentals, this is what he looks like currently:
His playoff performance was even more impressive. When our top guys were out injured the 4th line really stepped up and gave us that scoring depth in the first two series.

The All-Star teams were quite homogeneous this season too:
The distinct lack of rookies besides Rozmann may have had something to do with him being our only rookie this season. A.Nixon of the 2nd All-Star team is the guy we missed by 1 pick the year we ended up picking Tommy Gerling instead. Kinda stings considering the player Aaron Nixon turned into, can't say I'm surprised seeing as I knew he was either Chewie or Big Buf's regen. He turned out to be Chewie based on adult weight.
Last edited by Shindigs on Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shindigs
Gone scouting
Minor League

Postby bede420 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:20 pm

Okej, third season, 56games played and we are no 1 in the league.. I had my lineup ready, but when i saw both Sedin brothers looking for a team i felt i had to sign them.. I dont wanted them to sign with different teams or retire with no Cups, so i sign both on a 1 year deal.
Making our team line up like this:

Tatar-Sheahan-Nyquist
Larkin-Zetterberg-Mantha
D.Sedin-H.Sedin-Athanasiou
Abdelkader-Nielsen-Lazar

DeKeyser-Sproul
Kronwall-DeAngelo
Ouellet-Marchenko

Mrazek-Howard

And our players stats after 56games..

I did one more FA signing, thats when we had played around 40 games.. We have the capspace, Larkin go a 2 month injury and i felt no one in AHL is ready to take that big role, so i picked up Patric Hornquist. Thats make our roster 13 forwards, and i have no one that can be sent down without clearing the waivers.. And since Hornqvist joined, Abdelakder and Larkin got injuries, but with all players healthy i must rotate the bottom 6.
Another thing is the contracts thats running out this summer.. Jimmy Howard, Daniel and Henrik Sedin, Kronwall and the biggest fish, Nyquist.. All those are 35 or older except Nyquist (29).. He wants a 6yr @ 8mil, thats a contract i wont accept.. Zetterberg is the higest paid with 6mil, and Nyquist wont get more than that.
I was thinking of trading him in before the deadline or sign him and then trade him before the draft.. But i think i will let him test the free agent market, with the other players mentioned above.
bede420
Junior League

Trophies:  1   1 

Postby Shindigs » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:44 pm

Are you looking to have Mantha step up and take over Nyquist's role, or are you looking to fill that through either draft or FA? Always interesting to see different people's styles when playing the game. Almost no two are alike.
Shindigs
Gone scouting
Minor League

Postby bede420 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:30 pm

To be honest, i dont know what do to.. I didnt expected Nyquist demanding that big of a raise, i tought it would be near 6mil and not 8mil..
But as you are mention, Mantha has taken big steps for us but he is only a 3* rated player, so im not sure he can take a firstline RW spot.
Hornqvist will be a option to.. I can also put Tatar on RW then move up Larkin.
So i think i will release Nyqvist this summer, and then let someone from AHL have a chance at it.. Svechnikov will for sure play in the NHL next year and i will also sign Poehling to a entrylevel contract.. But a free agent replacement is not my number one choice.
bede420
Junior League

Postby philou21 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:06 pm

I wouldn't put too much thought into how the game rate the players. Even if he is three stars he can outperform with the right teammates if the chemistry is there. I never bother with how many stars a player has.
philou21
24 cups!!!
The Great One

Postby bede420 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:38 pm

Season 3 is over, and i dont know what happend.. We were as always no 1 in the NHL table, and with 11-12 games left in the regular season we didnt win one single game.. The worst loosing streak i ever had on my three years as a GM. And if it didnt could get any worse, Mrazek got injuried with 2 games left and he is gone 4 months.. So we had Jimmy Howard as starting goalie and Pasquale as backup.
The first round we played Carolina, and made a 4 games sweep.. Then Tampa was to good, and the season was over..

NHL Regular Season Points

Red Wings Regular Season Stats

Playoff tree

Draft 2018

The two seasons maybe went to easy, with two Cups.. Now i feel like a little rebuild is on its way. Some big names is leaving the team.. Kronwall, Howard, Nyquist and Hornqvist. I will give them contracts offers, and see if i can fit them in the lineup for the right money..
I feel we need a top 4 defenders and also a winger, i will replace the players that is leaving with our own prospects. I think Darcy Kuemper will be the backup to Mrazek next season, he looks very solid.
Holmstrom and Svechnikov will be in the NHL roster, they will replace Sedins. So Nyquist and Kronwall needs to be replaced..
If i use the players thats under contract, the lineup will be..

Larkin-Sheahan-Tatar
Svechnikov-Zetty-Mantha
Athanasiou-Nielsen-Abdelkader
Sadowy-Holmstrom-Lazar

Dekeyser-DeAngelo
Marchenko-Sproul
Ouellet-Russo

Mrazek

To be continued... Edit: We have signed two players, goalie Pekka Rinne and defenceman Brian Dumoulin.. Nyquist is still free agent, and no teams intrested. I having a eye on him, waiting and hoping he will lower his demands.
bede420
Junior League

Postby Shindigs » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:33 am

Just finished up another season late last night before heading out, and it was a very interesting season. It's an Olympic year so we had to deal with that, Hart put up a .976 in the Olympics with 4 shutouts in 6 games, essentially guaranteeing Canada another Gold; Finland got the silver and Sweden picked up the Bronze with Lennon Blixt as their captain.

In the off-season leading up to this we actually managed to resign both Välisalmi and Beaulieu to 3.1M a year contracts (5 and 6 years respectively). So our roster for this season was stacked, our 3rd line is legitimately better than most team's 1st line. We came out of the gates looking hot, we converted this into a new NHL record win against the Blackhawks:
Note the 3 goals scored in 21 seconds in the 44th minute, they actually broke the highlights. All 3 goals were scored back-to-back in the same highlight, but that same highlight was shown 3 times; Once for each goal scored in the highlight. It should be noted that Chicago's goalie Garry Playfair is Price's regen. He had a rough rookie season, to say the least.

We were looking very, very consistent this season; At the half-way mark we were still unbeaten:
and by the Olympic break nothing had changed:
as previously mentioned Hart was an absolute beast in the Olympics, since he's backstopped us for every single cup except the 1st one back in 15-16 he's got maxed out important match related attributes; He's just disgustingly good when playing for Team Canada. Sadly the Olympic break totally killed our momentum, the first game back after it we saw the first defeat of the season on the back of a .972 performance from Ben Bishop's regen, despite us targeting his weakness:
It was quite annoying since this season actually looked like it might be that elusive 100% win rate season, but it just wasn't meant to be.

After that defeat we got our mojo back and started tearing it up again, heading into the final game of the season against a very underwhelming Toronto team it looked like we'd actually get away with only that one loss. Sadly we played like absolute trash, highlighted by actually being outshot by Toronto. Hart putting up a .875 also didn't really help our case. With all said and done we managed to break up the Edmonton block at the top of highest scoring teams, slotting in as the 4th highest scoring team in NHL history:
It was nice to finally see our PP back over 20%, it's been a while. We also broke our team Plus-Minus record from last year by recording a +278 rating. On the shot side we also set a new record with 3767 shots on goal and only 1796 shots against for a Shot Plus-Minus of +1971. The normalised AvR of our skaters this season was a whopping 7.86, which completely annihilates the old 7.77 record. Liljegren had the highest personal AvR of 8.65, that's absolutely insane for a defenceman.

Despite all that scoring we didn't manage to break the +100 rating plateau with any player this season, we did have all 11 spots on the Plus-Minus leaderboards though:
It was nice to see DeBoer finally outdoing Bonar to get some silverware, which was in no small part achieved by him putting 528 shots on goal this season, that's 128 more than the 2nd highest in the league (which happens to be Bonar). As you can see we didn't have the most prolific goalie season, Pedersen is nowhere to be seen on the save% leaderboards. Carter Hart started losing his legs this season, so I was playing them at a 2:1 ratio; The change seems to have had a negative impact on Pedersen's saves, but he's got this uncanny ability to always make just enough saves to secure the win. At the time of writing Pedersen is unbeaten in regulation for 3 seasons, and 100% unbeaten this season with a 26-0-0 record. As I've mentioned before his peaks are much lesser than Hart, but he almost never puts up low enough numbers to straight up lose us games.

The biggest surprise (not really though) was just how prolific Canon Howe was in his 1st season, 90 points as our 3rd line Center and playing on the half-boards in our PP2 unit ties DeBoer's record (fewer goals being the tie-breaker) despite him not seeing any top 6 play at all:
As this was Blixt's final season with us there will be a change up in the top 6. Gabe Smyth sadly seems like he might not be the successor to that 1st line C position, despite not being injury prone he's missed so many games over the last 2 seasons due to injury. This year he barely played 60 games. I just can't rely on a player like that as a full-time top 6 forward. I'm probably looking at trading him, letting Väyrynen take the 1st line two-way forward duty, moving Howe up to the 2nd line as playmaker and Välisalmi as 2nd line two-way forward. I'm a bit hesitant to break up the Väyrynen/Bonar partnership on the 2nd line as they work so well together, but it just seems like the most logical move at this time.

We had a fair few career milestones this season, including some of our older players hitting their 1000th games, 1100/1200 point marks and 700 career assist marks. One of the bigger ones was Ted McPherson hitting the 1000 point plateau at age 27, having only needed 791 games to get there:
DeBoer also hit the 100 goal plateau and the 200 point plateau after only 171 games played in the NHL. Bonar hit 500 points in 406 games early this season, a few games later Carter Hart hit his 100th NHL shutout, 900th win and 1000th game played.

This upcoming draft is going to be a potentially quite impactful one, since Liljegren is getting up there in age and only has a couple years left on his contract, so it's starting to be time to find his successor; In this year's draft there just happens to be a Righty 181cm tall Offensive RD from Sweden (you can probably guess which player's regen that is), there is also a 187cm(and growing) Canadian Righty Offensive RD that definately didn't play for St.Louis in a previous life or anything. As a result I did some fairly deft draft pick trading at the beginning of this season. The first was a bunch of late 1st round picks and a single 2nd round pick for Dallas 1st round pick this season, they are having huge goalie issues so I was betting on them being a bottom team this year. We already had the Preds 1st round pick from the Tyutin trade, they too have massive goalie trouble as well as a team that lacks scoring depth; In fact of their 3 scoring forwards, 2 are my old players that I traded to them (Tyutin and Grant). The trade that really stood out as a steal (not that the game recognized it as such) was the one we pulled off with the Canes:
That trade has every possibility of being me trading two players who will never see play in the NHL for me, for one of two future franchise Offensive Defencemen. When all was said and done the Canes finished 2nd to last, the Stars 3rd to last and the Preds 6th to last Overall. Patrick Sandell and Kai McEwen, the two blueliners in question are expected to go 9th and 11th Overall. I should be all but guaranteed to get at least 1 of them. I'm hoping for the Swede, but I'd settle for the Canadian any day of the week.

In other blueline news I gave Tommy Gerling the point role on the PP2 unit as well as moving him up into Watson's old 2nd pairing spot. He really grew into the role putting up 52 points and a +79 rating this season. Those numbers are nearly identical to Watson's numbers, and Gerling was nice enough to sign a 3 year 1.5M a year bridge contract with us in the Off-season, that coupled with the 3.1M deal with Beaulieu means we have the most cost efficient 2nd pairing in the league, at a combined cap hit of 4.6M a year for the next 2 seasons following this.
Shindigs
Gone scouting
Minor League

Postby philou21 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:06 pm

I don't know how you can keep up with that save. I would get bored so quickly after a couple of seasons destroying everything. :D
philou21
24 cups!!!
The Great One

Postby Shindigs » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:40 pm

philou21 wrote:I don't know how you can keep up with that save. I would get bored so quickly after a couple of seasons destroying everything. :D

Yeah, the original goal of the save was to win a cup building only through the draft; But that happened season 1 so I had to set other goals, namely the 100% win rate or 25 cups. Because they were the only other bigger goals I could think of, and once I set my mind to something I won't stop until I reach it. It's becoming a bit of a chore at this point though, but I'm on the home stretch now. Back when I used the AI coaching I'd just stop saves as soon as I won the cup, because I'd lose the drive to continue the save after that. Since that happened season 1 and I wasn't ready to just scrap the save I swapped the goals. It's pretty safe to say I did not fully consider just how long playing 27 seasons in the NHL takes. You can do it fast in Europe, but the Drafts just take so freaking long. Add in the extra 30 games a season and it's even "worse".

At this point I'm really not competing with the AI, I'm just trying to beat my own records and see how consistently I can maintain a peak for 27 seasons. This season had a lot of suspense because of how long I could ride the winning streak, but most years I don't really care much about our record (as long as it's over .900 Pct). I'm more concerned with the stories of the players, trying to get my top guys to 100 points every season (or as close to it as possible). Since I really like the prospect development side of this game it's nice to see your guys you draft at 18 turn into superstars and have them reach silly milestones. It's too bad Gretzky made just about all individual skater records in the NHL unbreakable haha. On the goalie side Brodeur playing as long as he did made a lot of those untouchable as well.

Speaking of which, we just won our 18th Cup by defeating New Jersey in 4. The road to the cup this year was just weird though, we still swept everyone but some of the game in there were just a joke, I'll start by showing the leaderboard and then tell you how they happened:
Note that of the 4 goalies that topped the Leaderboards for save% we met all 4 of them, that should give you an idea of what made this playoff such a weird one, we faced St.Louis in the 2nd round of the playoffs and this screenshot does a pretty good job of describing how that series went:
Yes, that is in fact a goalie with .887 saves against us over a sample size of 984 shots making 121 saves against us; Just how long was that game?
...very long. We got goalied in just about every game in the first 2 series, but it just wasn't enough. Rumpel had a .937 average in our 1st round sweep against Colorado, meanwhile Hart had sub .900 in that series; If we hadn't outshot them 3:1 every game we would have been so Bryzgalov'd. We also had another 107th minute overtime win against the Oilers in the Conference finals, but I think this puts our Playoff unbeaten run up to 77 games. Retaking the NHL record from our 67 game winning streak in the regular season that spanned from the 18th of March last season to the 1st of March this season. I doubt we'll get lucky enough to beat that and reach that 100% season given "only" another 7 years. Especially with me cheating on behalf of the AI to make them more competitive, but it has really improved the level of the NHL back to more acceptable levels. It was so bad in some of the later drought years, some teams had my old 4th liners as their top scorers on the 1st line.
Shindigs
Gone scouting
Minor League

Postby Exarz » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:34 pm

And the Leafs lost in the Stanley Cup finals :dunno:

+ Datsyuk on IR and Elias Pettersson not dressed
Exarz
Junior League

Postby Exarz » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:28 am

Year 4 into my save I finally won the Gagarin Cup after a thrilling playoff series! We almost choked a 3-0 lead in the series against SKA Saint Petersburg...

Game 7 against Ak Bars Kazan went to overtime and Elias Pettersson scored back to back goals (first tied the game and then scored the cup winning goal) to secure CSKA's first title since the fall of the Soviet Union!

Our junior team is also back to back MHL champions:

Now for next season we managed to pull out some major signings:
- Vadim Shipachyov
- Evgeni Dadonov
- Matthew Tkachuk (signed during the season but after the transfer window)
- Adrian Kempe

Unfortunately we lost Slava Voynov because he didn't sign his new contract in time, so we got to wait until Autumn for a potential new signing...

Current line-up:

Then we also have Kirill Kaprizov, Kirill Petrov and Roman Lyubimov on the bench, as well as some great prospects:
- RW Yamil Pavlov (#24 pick in the 2018 NHL Draft)
- C Ravil Lukin (#1 pick in the 2019 NHL Draft)
- RD Gadel Gevrilov (#2 pick in the 2020 NHL Draft)

We also have some great prospects in our junior system:
- LD Arkady Gorokhov (#118 pick in the 2019 NHL Draft)
- RD Mikhail Stlkhanovsky (2021 NHL Draft prospect)
- LW Mikhail Gizatullin (#21 pick in the 2018 NHL Draft)
- LW Alexei Saprykin (#5 pick in the 2019 NHL Draft)
- LW Ilgiz Sergeyev (#136 pick in the 2019 NHL Draft)
- C Tagir Abdullin (#8 pick in the 2020 NHL Draft
- C Vitaly Chistyakov (#31 pick in the 2019 NHL Draft)
- RW Ramil Vorobyov (#33 pick in the 2019 NHL Draft)
Exarz
Junior League

Postby Shindigs » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:00 pm

FINALLY!
Shindigs
Gone scouting
Minor League

Postby Marner » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:25 pm

I'm new to the forums and missed out on this game back in the day so I'm happy to give this a try. I'm obviously going to run with my Leafs developing and keeping that awesome young core group
Marner
Learning to skate

Postby Shindigs » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:48 pm

and the save is finally over, took way too long:
ended up taking most NHL records on our way there:
I completely stopped updating here as well as drafting any players for the last few seasons just to speed things up. We had so much depth in the organization that I didn't need to draft a single player for 4 years anyways.

Bert Cardinal is Crosby's regen, Brayden Bonar is Jeff Carter's regen, Ted McPherson in Jason Pominville's regen, Patrick Sandell is Erik Karlsson's regen, Kai McEwen is Alex Pietrangelo's regen, Alex Mercier is Braden Holtby's regen, Vladimir Fakhrutdinov is Vladimir Tarasenko's regen and Canon Howe is Paul Stastny's regen for anyone wondering. Väyrynen was just a ridiculously good newly generated player, 17 defensive role and 15 offensive role was the reason he kept winning the Selke over and over despite being a playmaking forward as his role. Tad DeBoer was also a newly generated player, who ended up putting up over 100 points every season that he played 78 or more games. When Ehlers retired at age 41 he was the 2nd highest scoring player in NHL history, having surpassed both Jagr and Howe. Carter Hart won 17 Vezina's in a row while playing for us, and Liljegren won 10 Hart's in a row. But it was when we got in Alex Mercier (Holtby 2.0) that we finally got that 100% win rate season, it was in his sophomore year too, after 2 seasons played in the NHL his record stood at 118-0-1. Since we rode a win streak into that season and then kept the winstreak going for a while into the following season we ended up with the 148 game winning streak you can see in the NHL records. I never managed to get that elusive 100+ point season with a defenceman though, Patrick Sandell was on 98 points with 2 games left of the 2nd to last season; He ended the season with a 2 game point drought to barely miss that plateau. I have no doubt that if I kept playing until he hit his peak he would get multiple 100+ point seasons, but I'm so done with this save it isn't even funny.

We did end the save in style though, setting a new highest scoring playoff game record in the last ever game played:
and now I'm going to take a very needed break from this game.
Shindigs
Gone scouting
Minor League

Postby Jetstone » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:58 pm

If I had a save that lasted 25 seasons, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't start a new career for a few months.
Jetstone
Junior League

Postby Saibot88 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:13 am

Shindigs wrote:and the save is finally over, took way too long:
ended up taking most NHL records on our way there:
I completely stopped updating here as well as drafting any players for the last few seasons just to speed things up. We had so much depth in the organization that I didn't need to draft a single player for 4 years anyways.

Bert Cardinal is Crosby's regen, Brayden Bonar is Jeff Carter's regen, Ted McPherson in Jason Pominville's regen, Patrick Sandell is Erik Karlsson's regen, Kai McEwen is Alex Pietrangelo's regen, Alex Mercier is Braden Holtby's regen, Vladimir Fakhrutdinov is Vladimir Tarasenko's regen and Canon Howe is Paul Stastny's regen for anyone wondering. Väyrynen was just a ridiculously good newly generated player, 17 defensive role and 15 offensive role was the reason he kept winning the Selke over and over despite being a playmaking forward as his role. Tad DeBoer was also a newly generated player, who ended up putting up over 100 points every season that he played 78 or more games. When Ehlers retired at age 41 he was the 2nd highest scoring player in NHL history, having surpassed both Jagr and Howe. Carter Hart won 17 Vezina's in a row while playing for us, and Liljegren won 10 Hart's in a row. But it was when we got in Alex Mercier (Holtby 2.0) that we finally got that 100% win rate season, it was in his sophomore year too, after 2 seasons played in the NHL his record stood at 118-0-1. Since we rode a win streak into that season and then kept the winstreak going for a while into the following season we ended up with the 148 game winning streak you can see in the NHL records. I never managed to get that elusive 100+ point season with a defenceman though, Patrick Sandell was on 98 points with 2 games left of the 2nd to last season; He ended the season with a 2 game point drought to barely miss that plateau. I have no doubt that if I kept playing until he hit his peak he would get multiple 100+ point seasons, but I'm so done with this save it isn't even funny.

We did end the save in style though, setting a new highest scoring playoff game record in the last ever game played:
and now I'm going to take a very needed break from this game.

Share your tactic? :)
Saibot88
TBL Rosters Researcher

Postby Saibot88 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:08 pm

Oh this is tuff, great news is that I have a great player coming up from AHL...

Saibot88
TBL Rosters Researcher

Postby Draisaitl » Tue May 02, 2017 6:49 pm

That's tough, but as an Oiler fan, you won't get a lot of sympathy from me lol. I have an Oiler save running. Just setting up lines and such. Going to build through the draft with maybe a FA signing as long as it doesn't kill my cap space when I'll have to sign McDavid and Leon in the summer
Draisaitl
Junior League

Postby Shindigs » Wed May 03, 2017 5:07 pm

Saibot88 wrote:Share your tactic? :)

Already did over in the General Tactics and PP/BP Tactics threads, just scroll down a bit on the pages I linked to and you'll find them.
Shindigs
Gone scouting
Minor League

Postby RubetzCube » Sat May 06, 2017 5:17 pm

After barely winning 20 games as the Coyotes in 16-17 I amassed a decent draft haul, but knew our problem was in goal. Smith retired, and Domingue sucks. So I took a risky chance with a possibly lottery team, and signed Matt Murray for a 1st and 3rd. Wish me luck that this doesn't blow up in my face. Btw this is the first time a RFA doesn't feel cheap or unrealistic to me lol.
RubetzCube
Learning to skate

Postby Saibot88 » Tue May 09, 2017 5:34 pm

I'm back :joy: (left the club in 2021)

Saibot88
TBL Rosters Researcher

Postby philou21 » Tue May 09, 2017 8:03 pm

2060? Nice save you got there! :D
philou21
24 cups!!!
The Great One

Postby Saibot88 » Tue May 09, 2017 9:18 pm

philou21 wrote:2060? Nice save you got there! :D

(that was a old screen)

Yeah love this save :nod:

Saibot88
TBL Rosters Researcher

Postby philou21 » Sun May 28, 2017 3:36 pm

So after a 2 months break I picked up my unemployed save where I'm now in the AHL with Cleveland. I was lucky enough to land a job with a club that is packed with talent. So far things are doing good! I fired two head-coach and one GM after I beat their team with a highscore! :D
philou21
24 cups!!!
The Great One

PreviousNext

Return to General EHM Chat