The Blue Line

How's it going in EHM 1? What team are you?

All general EHM-related discussion goes here. It's the place to chat about gameplay or concepts NOT related to specific topics. Claim bragging rights and impress the community by posting your records! CLICK HERE to purchase your copy of EHM 1.
Forum rules
Useful Links: EHM 2005 GuideEHM 2007 GuideEHM:EA ChangelistEHM:EA User Manual

Re: How's it going in EHM 1? What team are you?

Postby yoteshot » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:36 pm

Wanted a good challenge, so I started off with the Devils and played the 2016-17 season. Boy, are their prospects weak. Even McLeod is already looking like a bust and couldn't get manage ,75 PPG in the OHL... Only Rykov and Speers look half decent and my scouts hate both.

Fired Hynes sometime in February when the Sens fired Boucher, so that I could hire Scarface.

Finished the first season 13th in the Eastern conference and before the lotery, I'm set up to pick 7th OV. I won my last game in a SO, which dropped me from 4th OV to 7th OV. Oh well.

Got 2 extra first round picks (SJ, 30th OV and DAL, 18th OV) from trading Cammalleri++ and Lovejoy+Parenteau++ at the beginning of the year. Post deadline lineup had about 20M$ in cap relief from other teams (Iginla, Bickell, J.Hayes, Kindl, Burrows, King) that allowed me to acquire multiple picks (got 3 in each of the first 4 rounds) as well as another 2018 first.

Dealt Palmieri+ during the season for Pesce. Snagged Skjei from NYR when they put him on the block (they were playing him AHL, still). Also got Vrana for cheap from WAS when I saw other teams were all targeting him.

Scoring from my top 6 went like this. Bottom 6 was a revolving door except for Sergei Kalinin who did manage 18 pts from the 4th liner.

Taylor Hall : 53 in 77
Adam Henrique : 52 in 82
Devante Smith-Pelly : 48 in 80 (24 goals)
Pavel Zacha: 46 in 82
Reid Boucher : 38 in 82
Petr Vrana : 30 in 65 (17 goals)

Defense didn't do much (10 goals total from the D). Andy Greene led the way with 27 pts while Severson got 25.

Schneider was amazing (8,04 rating) all year and kept us in games we had no business winning.

Acquired Soshnikov early in the year to boost my farm team (which still sucked) and he got 57 pts in 61 games. As of now, he's playing in the WC for Russia and is all but a lock for my top 9 next year.

Re-signed Kalinin 2 years at 1M each, Boucher same deal and Severson 6 year deal at 3,7M per.

Looking forward to the draft where I will try and move up a bit with all those picks. I really need to help that poor prospect pool, though.

Weak UFA crop, but I might try to bolster my D and bottom 6. As of now, my building blocks are Severson, Skjei and Pesce on D, Vrana, Hall, Henrique and Zacha up front and Schneider in nets. Both Vrana and Henrique project more as 2nd liners, though.

Pretty excited about the lotery coming up and building a better roster for next season. Man, this game is fun.
yoteshot
Junior League

Postby yoteshot » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:22 pm

Just read Shinding's Seattle story and Re: Kelleher... First save I started with a Vegas DB, signed him for the AHL. He barely got 20 pts a year there so I just let him go after his 2nd year and he signed somehwere in Europe.
yoteshot
Junior League

Postby redrobert81 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:14 pm

A new season starts for Energia Elektrenai. The Board expects us to reach the playoffs this season and i have a good feeling that we can do just that. We may not be a contender for the title though. The newspapers lists us better too this season ... not longer dead last but second to last :-)

They say our MVP is Kriss Lipsbergs. He for sure is a great defender. Nikita Plyonkhin is said to be the key arrival. Speaking of arrivals, we brought in several good import players. Speaking of which ... these are the import players we acquired:

LD/RD Yaroslav Sennikov
A 23 year old amazing defensive defenseman. Our defense desperately needed improvement and he is the one. He will also serve as captain. The last three years he served for CSK VVS in the russian pervaya league with averaging ratings between 6.71 and 6.88. He rarely has a bad game and produces when the heat is on. He needs to improve his hockey sense though.

LW/RW Nikita Plyonkin
At only 21 years this skilled offensive forward will be our top left wing. After two seasons in the Russian Minor Hockey League he was able to get a roster spot with Yuzhny Ural Orsk in the Russian Vysshaya Liga where he scored 9 points in 31 games. He needs to improve his decision making.

RW/LW Valeri Glebov
Even younger than Plyonkhin he is only 20 years old. Another skilled offensive forward that will improve our game. He will need to improve his decision making too. Like Plyonkin he has been able to get some experience in the Russian Vysshaya Liga. Glebov played for Dizel Penza and scored 15 points in 34 games.

Top players of the league did mention a few players of our team:

Yaroslav Sennikov (7th among defenders)
Nikita Plyonkin (5th among left wings)
Lukas Jasinevicius (1st among centers)
Valeri Glebov (1st among right wings)

4 players inside the top 10 prospects (Jasinevicius, Kumeliauskas, Marcinkevicius, Fedotovas)

So far we are looking forward to an exciting season. Our head coach did not want to sign again with us even after he lead us to a surprise playoff appearance last season. But we got a good replacement in the estonian Roman Belov
redrobert81
Drafted

Postby redrobert81 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:15 pm

A few snapshots of my acquisitions:

Here is Plyonkin

and this is the top defender Sennikov

redrobert81
Drafted

Postby philou21 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:04 am

Shindigs wrote:I love how the Salary Cap system forces you to sign what I like to refer to as 5M$ paperweights in the early parts of a rebuild. I mean you can just be below and pay the fine, it doesn't really matter. But it just feels wrong to sit below the floor.

It would probably be too complicated but I always thought they could make some "rule" for teams rebuilding that for two years or three as an example you can be below the salary floor without fines because well...you are rebuilding and don't have huge salary in your team. Instead of that we get overpaid players.
philou21
24 cups!!!
The Great One

Postby Shindigs » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:30 pm

philou21 wrote:
Shindigs wrote:I love how the Salary Cap system forces you to sign what I like to refer to as 5M$ paperweights in the early parts of a rebuild. I mean you can just be below and pay the fine, it doesn't really matter. But it just feels wrong to sit below the floor.

It would probably be too complicated but I always thought they could make some "rule" for teams rebuilding that for two years or three as an example you can be below the salary floor without fines because well...you are rebuilding and don't have huge salary in your team. Instead of that we get overpaid players.

In real hockey it does open up the possibility for rebuilding teams to acquire picks for taking back contracts though, so that works in their favor. The issue in EHM is that the AI isn't nuanced enough to ever be up for doing that with their overpaid players. The bigger issue with the salary cap is what came up with McDavid's negotiation. First that we don't know at what rate it will grow. And second that players have to settle for contracts below their "market value" for the sake of winning. It puts the player in a needlessly awkward position.

Off-season has gone alright in Milwaukee, I managed to acquire some real steals from Free Agency. Dallas 3rd round pick from a couple years ago was sitting around overaged in College so I signed him on a deal, he's currently considered the best prospect in the entire AHL. In fact I have no less than 4 of my contracted players on that list. The NHL Draft rankings have come in, Martin Carlin is ranked 26th Overall and my new scout reports on him mainly compare him to Toews. So I'm thinking I might not be able to get my hands on him once I'm in the NHL after all.

This was the top prospect we picked up:
I'd be happy to play him top 4 in the NHL. Having him in the AHL is just amazing.

This is the lineup as the season begins, we have about 12 Defencemen and more forwards than you can throw a stick at. So there will probably be some rotation:
I've already played the season opener. Wade Allison, who is one of my signed players, scored a Hat-trick in the game, so that's promising. He's also our captain for this season. In break with tradition we were not considered the worst team in the league, but rather the 6th best.
Shindigs
Gone scouting
Minor League

Postby Meantek » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:48 am

I wrote a massive season-for-season report yesterday, only for my session to time out and everything went lost. In short - I just got the game, spent the first season getting my bearings with the Golden Knights, season 2 yielded playoffs (Conference semi-finals), season 3 yielded a 6-game loss to the Capitals in the Stanley Cup finals, season 4 saw me lose to Nashville in the Conference finals - but 21/22 was my season. President's Trophy (and not just by a little margin either - 61 wins) and the cup after beating Devils 4-1 in the finals (although I was down 3-2 to Nashville in the Conference finals before calling up old fart Komarov to annoy the Nashville players).

Assorted screenshots here: http://imgur.com/a/Rurfi

Niemi ended up getting the Calder, unsurprisingly. Varlamov won the Vezina and there were a whole lot of other Golden Kings award winners as well. Might do some screenshottery when I'm home tonight. In the post-season, Komarov thankfully retired (and freed up $2M or so of cap space), as did Nash who I had signed (although he was on the last year of his contract and wasn't going too well anyway). Neal was on his way out anyway (getting old and slow, asked for $6M or something per season for 4 seasons: no thanks).

Puljujärvi and Aho were RFAs, and I shot each offers, Oilers and Hurricanes couldn't afford them - and I could only afford one. Ended up with Puljujärvi on a $9M/y contract until 2027, and I had a minor heart attack when I noticed I couldn't retract the offer to Aho - luckily the board stepped in and said "nu-uh". In the end, I'm sitting here with a ridiculous top six with LWs Panarin and Gusev, RWs Niemi and Puljujärvi and centers Åkesson and Hansen (whom my scouts and staff all swear by, he's just very defensive so his average ratings tend to be total junk.) Shipachyov has gotten old and slow, so he's 3rd line along with Perron and Marchessault, Yurtaikin/Glass/Tuch look set to be the 4th line.

Meantek
Junior League

Postby Shindigs » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:35 am

First season in the AHL has come to an end. Manitoba looked completely unbeatable out the gates, sitting on 96% Pct at New Years. But thankfully Winnipeg called up some of their talent, which was good enough to win a Stanley Cup quite frankly. So they fell off hard towards the end of the season and only ended up beating us by 1 point when all was said and done. We've had huge issues with injuries, and all of them have been to our top 2 centers more or less. And when they weren't injured they spent a fair chunk of time being called up to Nashville. That combined with our goalies feeling like being completely useless as we started the new year lead to us slipping down to 4th. Then a new and exciting bug started to happen. When I checked which goalie was in net and set my shot targeting accordingly they would end up actually having the other goalie in net. As I "watch" games with no highlight and fast clock speed I can only make changes to my lineup when injuries happen or between periods. After I noticed this was happening I just started to check which goalie was actually in net after the 1st and swapping my targeting. This combined with us having full manpower for the first time since early November lead to a resurgence that saw us finish 1 point off of 1st in both our division and our Conference. We also set a new goal-scoring record for the AHL in this save.
Considering how bad our goalies are I'm shocked we managed above .800 BP%. Nashville decided to buy out both their AHL goalies at the start of the season and replace them with a UFA pickup in the form of the Devils' discarded AHL goalie. So we had below .900 in net all season long. I tried to get in a consistent UFA goalie; He had good tech and solid mentals, but his physicals let him down. As a result he became our 1B to Cormier's 1A. Although I'd say they're more like a 1B and 1C if we're being honest about it.

At some point during the season Team Canada tried to poach me, and Team USA came in for me again. I refused both naturally, but they seem dead set on having someone who isn't from the NA be their GM. Seems pretty odd to me.

I really, really don't like this team by the way. Nashville's prospects are absolutely horrible; The ones that don't have low consistency have low pressure or horrible mentals. And some have the unholy trinity of all of the above. This team has an unprecedented ability to throw away 2+ goal leads in minutes. So getting as much out of them this season as I did came as a surprise to say the least. It wasn't because of what Nashville sent down though (apart from Martens, he's insane) it was the UFAs I brough in that carried the NHL prospects on their backs.
You know your NHL affiliate is in trouble when your top 3 scorers and #1 Defenceman are all players signed to your AHL team. Matt Revel is also signed to the AHL team, but he was here when I took over so I won't take credit. But that does mean that of our top 10 producers only 4 were NHL prospects; That's not right at all. But at least the College and former Q players I brought in were high impact. Wade Allison was an especially big surprise as he isn't that insane looking. Because of the numbers we coaxed out of Brendan Franklin he's now gotten signed by Montreal who drafted him in the 5th round but didn't bother to sign him out of College.

For the first round of the playoffs we'll face Grand Rapids. We have had some issues with them over the course of the season, but after we started to figure out their goalies down the stretch our fortunes have improved. So I'm hopeful we can get past them.

The first series against Grand Rapids ended up being a hard one. Their goalie stood on their head all series long and despite heavily outplaying them we were taken to game 5 where we sealed the 3-2 series win.

For our second series we were faced up with Charlotte, whose goalie Jack Lafontaine is one of the guys who has no weaknesses at this level. Thankfully Cormier decided to be the best he's been all season and we were able to get a somewhat lucky 4-1 series win. We did completely outplay them all games though, but with that goalie I wasn't expecting such a dominant series. For the Conference finals we were faced up against San Diego, and as both their goalies have about .850 against us this was only going to go one way. We ended up taking them out 4-1 as well. And we were heading into the Calder Cup finals against the Rochester Americans. Their goalie was all over the place with his save% but in the end it was out own goalie that made the series a lot scarier than it needed to be. We started out by winning both games at home. Then in game 3 Cormier had a .826 followed by a .852 in game 3. This saw the series tied heading into game 5 where Cormier was back in action and put up a .950 letting us walk away 3-1 winners, putting Rochester up against the ropes at home in game 6. Côté had gotten injured, but Nashville was nice enough to sign a major-junior player and send him down to us just in time to join us for what could be the final game of the season. Cormier backstopped us with a .944 and the new sent down player Serdyuk put up two assists as we coasted to a 5-2 win. Making us Calder Cup champions in our first season in the AHL. THANK GOD! I will never manage in the AHL again. I'm way too much of a control freak to deal with having 0 roster stability, and being forced to use poor players just because my AI controlled parent team can't draft to save it's life.
If against all odds I manage to get a job in the NHL in the next week or so I'll be in a position to possibly draft Martin Carlin, by beating him to the NHL narrowly. But I'm not expecting any position to open up until after Free Agency hits. Once in the NHL i'll use the same modified Challenge rules as I did beyond season 1 in my Seattle save. So only 2 trades per year, and only 1-for-1 or 1-for-2. I can't trade for players, only for picks. I can't trade for rights, I can't make offer sheets, I can't sign RFAs(except my own), I can't sign UFAs, I can't trade for 1st round picks, I'm skipping the rules for signing coaches as that doesn't make the game harder at all. At best it makes it slower, and it barely even achieves that. In line with how I've played the entire save I won't sign a head coach at all. I also won't interact with the waivers at all unless I need a paperweight for cap floor reasons.

So how have my former teams gotten along after I left? I'll start by looking at Edinburgh who fired almost all my coaches, several of them I brought over and had work for me in the AHL. Player wise they have also gotten rid of almost all the ones I brought in. After I've left they have finished 7th both years in the league, barely beating .500 Pct. In the Cup they got knocked out in the Quarter finals in their first season and the Semi finals in the 2nd year. In the first season they failed to make it out of the CHL group stage. And this season they obviously didn't qualify.

BB Armada traded away Willie Boisvert after 16 games despite him having 17 points. He went to Charlottetown where he scored 60 points in 50 games. Good trade! They too finished 7th after I left them. In its infinite wisdom it dropped Martin Carlin from the 1st line to the 4th line and his points production went from 97 points under me in his rookie season to 16 in his sophomore season. As a result he's plummeted out of the 1st round in the draft, which is why I'm getting a bit more hopeful about maybe being able to get my hands on him.

Let's also take a look at where some of our more interesting former players are right now:
Erik Wallberg was playing a lot of minutes in his first season with Amur in the KHL, almost scoring at PPG pace. In his 2nd year they dropped him to the 4th line and his production stopped. But at this point Buffalo came in and signed him. We actually played against him in the Calder Cup finals as he was playing as Rochester's 1st line Center. He scored 4 points against us and was +3 in rating. So he's still pretty darn good.
Filip Hasa kept playing with Edinburgh for a season but was given a much smaller role. He decided against resigning with them as he got drafted into the Q. His rookie season yielded 34 point in 57 games for the struggling Acadie-Bathurst team.
Carlin and Boisvert I already touched upon. Adam Åhman is currently the 2nd best goalie in Swe-2 for BIK Karlskoga and Phillip Schultz never really grew much beyond what he looked like when I left. He's now back in Rødovre playing in Metal Ligaen.
During the playoffs both Wade Allison and Colton Cardwell got signed by their respective NHL teams after the season they had with me. So as much as I didn't enjoy my time in the AHL, I did manage to get 4 young players who had been looked over a shot at making it in the NHL.
Ricky Worth, our most exciting looking British prospect was bought by an EPIHL (2nd tier of Britain) team. I'm looking to probably sign him in a late round whenever I get my 1st NHL draft to play him as my 4th line Center. He's got just enough attributes to get it done and he's consistent, relaxed and as a huge Center:Allround with a two-way game he's the exact kind of guy I like on my 4th line. These days he's also got 20/14 feet and 13 in faceoffs. So he could definitely make a positive impact.

As far as possible jobs go, Buffalo is currently very insecure. And they hold the rights to Erik Wallberg, so that's very appealing. They have only finished in the playoffs once since this save started and they missed the playoffs two years in a row. So they are a team in need of help. Not to mention a team with 0 cups, which is also appealing. The other possible NHL team as it looks right now is the Ducks as they barely made the playoffs last season and finished 2nd from the bottom this year. But personally Buffalo is a lot more appealing. Partially because I haven't played in the Eastern Conference for ages. But mostly due to the Wallberg+no cups combination. I should also add that if I make an exception from the "no trades for players" rule for players who played under me in previous teams. Because I'm a bit nostalgic.
Shindigs
Gone scouting
Minor League

Postby Meantek » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:45 pm

Puljujärvi getting off to a decent start in 22/23:

Meantek
Junior League

Postby 616photography » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:06 pm

Just finished my first season 17-18 on an updated roster with VGK included, as the Rangers, having Shatdueces and not having Girardi, Staal and Holden, traded them away (got Lindberg back from Vegas for Holden, Solved my centre crisis) on D made a lot of difference, Hank had a high save percentage of 0.931, funny what having a decent defence will do for you. Then Hank decided to retire and take Benoit Allaire with him, gutted!!

We breezed through the regular season, 61-13-8 and then stumbled through most of the playoffs, fell behind 3-1 in two consecutive series, ECSF and ECF, then took the SCF 4-1 against the wild.

Now I've got to rebuild my left wing, Nash and Grabner gone, asking for silly contracts, gotta find that starter Goalie and some of my coaching staff and scouting staff decided to retire.

Buchnevich had a break out year too putting up 32-33-65
Krieder had a monster year(for Krieder lol) 41-34-75
McDonagh having his best season 6-45-51

Had a Top 10 PP and PK, so a good season when you get rid of traffic cone defenders.
616photography
Learning to skate

Postby Meantek » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:42 am

The game was doing its usual thing with high-profile RFA/UFAs and Aho was left sitting without a contract for most of the season. I noticed this when Finnish teams started offering him contracts, and decided to shoot him a qualifying offer, with Hurricanes sitting at $73.9M of salaries against the cap. I had sent Gudbrandson away in exchange of some draft picks to make up for the four 1st round picks I had to send Oilers for signing Puljujärvi as an RFA, so I had something like $3.2M of cap space.

A couple of weeks went by, and Aho (who in July was asking for $8.5M/year for 6-7 years) accepted my $2.5M contract offer for the rest of the season, and I expected Carolina to do the sensible thing, to match the offer and offload whoever needed offloading. They didn't. Now I have Panarin, Gusev and Aho as left wingers. It's lightly amusing when the scout report says "Franchise Player, 1st line talent" about Gusev, and then the team report lists him as the 3rd best LW I've got. After a couple of weeks I wanted to see what sort of extension Aho would be willing to work with, and he was asking for a quite modest $4.7M per year for 5-6 seasons. No-brainer, now he's on board for the long term as well.
Meantek
Junior League

Postby yoteshot » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:47 pm

Used Shindigs guide for scouting and went through the list of eligible scouted prospects yesterday to prepare my 2017 Entry draft.

1 thing I noticed is that the filter "Scouted only" doesn't seem to work. If I click yes, 0 player comes up as a result, even though I had 7 scouts scouting NHL Entry Draft full time and some players were also scouted individually. Is this normal?

I'm ready for the draft now, picking 7th, 16th, 30th, 37th and 48th (and then 12 more times or so). I've set my eyes on a few guys, will let you know what I can come up with. Really not a strong year for d-men with consistency. I will try and get Heiskanen at 16 (no mention of consistency, compared to Daley and pretty nice ratings) because I really need a few good d prospects. Suzuki on offense intrigues me. Rated 27th, but he has the consistent trait and is being compared to a better Henrik Sedin. Needless to say, I'll do what I can to grab him. That'll possibly mean trading down from number 7 where the available prospects with the consistent trait have less than stellar comparisons for a top 10 pick (Reilly Smith, injury prone Derick Brassard (sounds redundant)). There's also Lias Andersson and Michael Rasmussen, but they both have upwards of 13 in Agression, so that's probably now where I want to go.

Will report with the results of my draft, very excited about that. Long day at work coming up!
yoteshot
Junior League

Postby yoteshot » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:56 pm

@BKArchitect: thanks for that draft class update. That's the kind of reading that makes me wanna try and have a long save going (which I've never been able to do, past 2-3 seasons). Hopefully, I like my Devils game enough that I keep it going. Love reading about stuff like that Ekholm for Parsons deal in 2021 and stuff like that. Really makes it sound realistic, somewhat!
yoteshot
Junior League

Postby philou21 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:52 am

Season 25-26 is now over and I still have my job! The board is very pleased with my work so far! Seems like I got nervous for nothing.

Like I expected it was a bad season but not THAT bad. We finished with a record of 33-38-11 good for 14th place in the eastern conference and good for the 25th place in the NHL. I was hoping at the start of the season to pick in the top 3 but oh well.

Here's the players stats:

As you guys can see 38 years old Kessel led the team in pts. Brooks improved his stats a bit but dropped from 7.5 in ratio to 6.57. The problem with him was that at some point in the season he had alot of 4-5 and even saw a 3 once until I realised he was a victim of my lack of depth. He was playing on the first line with PP time and was also playing on both the PK units. So knowing this I wasn't as angry as I was at first at him. With the defense I had he was probably on the ice for alot of goals. Among the surprises Richmond took advantage of my lack of LW by ranking up 70 pts, after a season of 19 pts and also took the best ratio of the team with 7.57. Ovechkin officially announced his retirement at the end of the season. With his 13 goals he was able to pass the 900 goal mark. He finished at 902. :D Of Course both my goalies were horrible this year thanks to my poor defense.

For some reasons the board doesn't want Tikkanen in the team since I joined. Still he just had a 43 pts season and has improved over last year. He's 20 in all of his defensive attributes and got decent speed compared of some of my man like Emberson who's only there because I need players. The also added Brooks to that list. I know it wasn't his best year in terms of performances but he still got 75 pts and 41 freaking goals. They do want Derrick Pouliot back though, who got traded away by the last GM. Go figure. :dunno: :roll:

Small NHL news, Boston won the Cup against San Jose in 5 games. In the AHL our farm team won the Calder Cup. The lottery came out and it did not changed, we're picking a the 6th spot. Tikkanen just requested a move because "he can get a better contract elsewhere". He's currently doing 815 000 and now wants 4.5 millions per year! He's only set as a "regular player" for the team and this was is only good season so far and even there, 6.94 isn't that good of a season. I know the board wants him out and other teams are seeing him as a five stars (you read that right) player but I dunno what to do. Young defensive defensemen are hard to find but with his value maybe I could make a decent trade with a team....I offered him 3.5 millions for two years, let's see what he does next.
philou21
24 cups!!!
The Great One

Postby yoteshot » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:44 pm

Had my first draft with the Devils yesterday, also my first using Shindigs' draft guide. We were slated to pick 7, 16, 30 and 37, but after some wheeling and dealing, ended up with picks 10-16-24-26. That 7th OV almost got us Draisaitl, but the Oilers kept wanting us to add even though they seemed really interested at first. Quite the disappointment, because even if he only had 39 pts last year, we think Draisaitl could have been our long term 1st line center.

On the draft itself, we traded back from 7 after our top 6 targets went 1-6 (Vilardi went 6th). Tippett was 7th on our list, on par with Pettersson. After the trade, Pettersson went at 7, Vesalainen at 8 and Rasmussen at 9, leaving us with Tippett, still there at 10. He has high consistency and is compared to a better Bobby Ryan. RW being our weakest position, this is a huge get for our future, even though I don't like him as a prospect IRL.

At 16, every member of the staff had his opinion on what we should do with the pick, but I trusted my instinct and drafted for need, picking up Heiskanen, who, while he only has medium consistency, is being compared to a better Trevor Daley and has incredible skating ratings and pretty good mentals. No other Dman rated in the first round came close to his package, so we took a shot here.

We had Jason Robertson and Nick Suzuki high on our list, then, the first being compared to a better Daniel Sedin, with high consistency, the second to a better Henrik Sedin, with high consistency. We had to overpay to get 24th OV, but snagged Robertson there, before getting Suzuki at 26, completing our first round haul with 4 players we had in our top 12.

2nd round we did not have much left, but did pick up Ryan Poehling at 40 who projects as a solid 3rd line two-way center (and a Habs pick to boot!) and Henri Jokiharju, a consistent two-way defenceman who was on our radar around our pick at 58, but we decided to trade up to 45 to make sure we got him. Also got Joni Ikonen (Habs draft pick :) ) early in the 3rd. Still don't understand how he fell that far, both in real life and in my save. He has the consistency trait and pretty solid ratings all around for an offensive forward.

Rest of the draft, we had multiple picks in every round, almost too many actually, so we traded a few for picks next season. Picked a bunch of guys we liked at different points during the season, mostly forwards as it was not a great year for D-men. After trading a few 7th rounders for next year picks, I realized 3-4 players I had interest in did not appear on our list during the draft for whatever reason (probably some filter I didn't see), so I'll have to try and sign them after the draft/invite them to our camp and see what comes out of it. At least one of them was college bound, though, so we might have lost our shot at getting him because signing him now wouldn't be a wise move for his development. Oh well, lessons learned.
yoteshot
Junior League

Postby philou21 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:16 pm

Season 3 is on the way with my Pens and we're still ranked as the worst team in the league! :D

This summer kept me busy as I had some trouble signing Tikkanen and I was actively searching a way to upgrade my defense. Let's say it went well! Firstly Tikkanen asked me for a 6 years contract with an average of 4.2 millions per year. I declined twice then counter-attacked with a 3 years deal worth 3.5 millions instead but he refused so I decided to let him be for a while. I waited until mid-august to speak to him again. He was asking for a four years deal with an average of 3.2 millions per years. I offered him 4 years with an average of 3 millions per year and he finally accepted. I think it's a fair deal and in four years, I hope the defensemen that I drafted will be NHL ready and I will simply let him go after the deal. If his value is still strong, maybe I'll trade him.

My biggest improvement is bringing in Jared McIsaac in a blockbuster trade just after the draft. Here's the guy:

This guy was playing for the Panthers and alot of teams had interest in him so I decided to inquire about him. The Panthers asked for two picks and three of my prospects for him. I refused than proposed them my goalie Micke Anttila since alot of teams wanted him. They accepted the trade one on one but thought it was unrealistic since Anttila, despite a good potential, never lived up to the hype with me. So I added my third round of the last draft, who is far from looking bad IMO. So than made the deal and I was REALLY happy with it. With the signing of Tikkanen, McIsaac makes my defense stronger since Letang is slowly fading away. I also added a pretty good defensive foward that the Canucks putted on the block for a prospect and a pick, then signed him to a six years extension at 3 millions per years.

This year we added to the line-up rookie Jimmy Peterson, former Pittsburgh first rounder in 2022. He had an amazing year in the AHL last year. 39+39=78 in 73 games and a 7.85 of average. He also had a good training camp so now it's his chance with the big team.

When Ovy retired he became a staff and a pretty good one of top of that, so I decided to sign him. He's green everywhere except in discipline but I can live with that. I added him as an assistant-coach and I hope he'll stay with us for a long time. Tocchet and Sullivan are not getting young so he will fit perfectly ina near futur.

In the AHL I'm keeping an eye on a couple of prospects that got a good year in the AHL last year and maybe they'll get their chance during the season. My best one is George Day, former first round pick of 2023, who did 75 pts in his first year in the AHL. On the bad side, Masson did not improved that much last year but I hope he'll get better. I had high hopes for him. I also have former first overall pick of 2024 Kevin Clark who's starting in the AHL and I hope he'll get good. He was average in his junior years despite being chosen first overall.

Both Kessel and Crosby signed two years deal to end their career with me and Letang resigned for one year. The three are still looking good and they don't have the right column in red. :D

I hope we can improved this year even though the pre-season ranking is looking bad. I'm sure the team is better than this and that we can do better than last year. :thup:
philou21
24 cups!!!
The Great One

Postby Meantek » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:34 pm

This whole Puljujärvi thing worked out quite okay. Four more seasons to go on the contract. :D

In his first season he actually didn't win the Rocket Richard Award. Laine decided to score two more.
Meantek
Junior League

Postby yoteshot » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:45 pm

Decided to keep all my updates in one place:

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=18331

Will try to update after every worthwhile event/milestone.
yoteshot
Junior League

Postby philou21 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:59 pm

Third season with Pittsburgh has come to an end in round two of the playoffs. After stomping NYI 4-0 we lost 0-4 against our eternal rival, the Flyers. They aquired Price at the trade deadline and it made a huge difference. We were already having difficulties beating them in the regular season without Price.

Despite being seen as the worst team in the NHL we clinched the President trophy with 118 pts, going 55-19-8. The last months of the season were tough as we lost Sawchenko for 3 months, 1 week after I made him signed a deal of 5 years with an average of 4.5 millions per years. I was only left with Cayden Primeau but he did perform a little bit better than I expected until he got injured too and I had to bring up my 18 yo goalie in the AHL. Which did perform alright for his first, too early, games in the NHL.

Here are the players stats for this season:

Brooks finish as our top scorer both in points and goals. He did slow down during the last two months of the season though. If not for that he would probably have reached 60 goals and the 100 pts mark. In the first 25 games of the season he had 1 goal per game! Kessel did well again despite his 39 yo but Crosby is really starting to slow down. Petersen did well with 54 pts for his first complete season in the NHL. Tikkanen on the other seems to have sit on his new deal. After doing 43 pts last season he only did 16 assists without even scoring a goal with a ratio of 6.78. This guy is most likely gone in the off-season. As for our recent addition, McIsaac, he did the best year of his career so I'm quite happy to have bring him with us.

Overall I'm satisfied and I'm probably going to bring a couple of rookie up next season. Simons and Day have burned the AHL and seems to be ready for more. With Crosby, Letang and Kessel still getting older I still don't know where I'm going. If they retire I'll probably be in trouble next year and if they stay, I'll probably be able to do another year like this one. After that, the three of them will hit 40 yo. On to the off-season!
philou21
24 cups!!!
The Great One

Postby MWE » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:12 am

Done my first season with Vegas

Tanked to try and get good picks

Stats
Trades
Standings

In the draft I went for
Jakub Skarek
Vitali Kravstov
Noah Dobson
Rasmus Sandin
Ty Emberson
Curtis Hall
Last edited by MWE on Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
MWE
#1 Tom Sestito Fan
Stanley Cup Winner

Trophies:  1   1

Postby FatRatMatt » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:48 am

I played as the Buffalo Sabres but didn't get anywhere. I now started one as Vancouver and won the Stanley Cup lol.
FatRatMatt
Junior League

Previous

Return to General EHM Chat