The Blue Line

Rebuild Challenge

All general EHM-related discussion goes here. It's the place to chat about gameplay or concepts NOT related to specific topics. Claim bragging rights and impress the community by posting your records! CLICK HERE to purchase your copy of EHM 1.
Forum rules
Useful Links: EHM 2005 GuideEHM 2007 GuideEHM:EA ChangelistEHM:EA User Manual

Rebuild Challenge

Postby kennec » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:12 pm

As i been bored of the game lately and no challenge to join i have made own house rules that anyone are free to use or try out.

Rebuild Challenge
Use TBL 9.4 database roosters. Take over random AHL team and holiday sim to April 15th 2017. Resign random AHL manager. Take over last NHL team in the standings. 3rd party programs are forbidden in this challenge. AHL team management is allowed to raise and train prospects.

End of Season 1 (2017 April 15th to June 24th 2017)

Once the Stanley Cup Finals are done.
1. Trade away every player on your team that is 29 year old or older!
2. You're going to trade them for draft picks and young players.
3. Anyone not traded before entering the draft has to be released.

• All players aged 29 or older at start of season 2 must be traded or released before entering the draft. Player's age is as of the start of the season.
• You must trade these players for draft picks or young players under contract (or a combination of the two).
• Incoming players must be aged 24 or younger! Look at the player's birthdate. He must be 24 or under at the start of the regular season. Don't trade for a guy who is going to turn 25 before the season starts.
• You may not trade for unsigned players/prospects!
• You may not send draft picks out in a trade. They can only come in.
• You can package multiple 29 or older players in a deal.
• You may not trade for draft picks for future drafts, only the 2017 draft.
• You may not re-sign players aged 29 and over so that they'll get trade interest. He'll have to be allowed to go for nothing.
• You may re-sign any other players with expiring contracts.
• You may sign any of your unsigned prospects but you may not trade them.

You won't be able to make any more moves.

Season 2 (1/7 2017 to 30/6 2018)

Trade rules:
-Each season on June 15th the veteran age will drop.
You'll have the option of trading away these veteran players or keeping them. The same restrictions apply here that applied the when you first took over the team but the age will drop. This means by june 15th 2018 players who are 28 or getting 28 before season 3 can be traded and so on.
2017-2018: Players aged 28 or older may be traded
2018-2019: Players aged 27 or older may be traded
2019-2020: Players aged 26 or older may be traded
2020-2021: Players aged 25 or older may be traded

-Also, each season you may trade one players under the veteran age. You may not package this player with a veteran. They must be traded on their own.

- 1 UFA can be signed per year with a maximum of 2m$ cap hit per seson avr.

-In this challenge you are not allowed to:
Trade away your draft picks.
Claim players from waivers.

Make sure to Disable Human Manager Sackings

Have fun!
kennec
Top Prospect

Trophies:  2   4   2

Re: Rebuild Challenge

Postby Shindigs » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:14 am

This is fairly similar to what I was doing in my Jets save; I have to mention that due to how insanely good young players are in EHM using them almost exclusively is actually one of the most optimal ways to play though.

I intended for my version of that save to be a challenge save with only being allowed to build through the draft (no UFA/RFA/waiver/trading for players at all), which just turned out to be really powerful to the point that I'll do that in any future saves because it more fun to develop your own stars anyways. But it's not going to make the game any more challenging, in fact it will make it easier as long as you're good at drafting; I will say that if you struggle with drafting this type of save is a really good way to get better at it (because you don't really have a choice in the matter).

I'll warn you though, the first 8 or so seasons will be the "hardest" because the drafts will be comparably very weak after the first 2-3 drafts with premade prospects. The majority of newly generated players will be very weak compared to the already active NHLers, but beyond those 8(ish) drought years you'll start to have drafts that are so saturated with NHL player regens that you will be able to field three 1st lines every single season if you feel like it. Add in that for whatever reason regens are able to hit their PA 2 years faster than premade characters and you end up with maxed out PA players at age 19, so you can just rotate star players on entry level contracts until the cows come home.

So if you want this to actually be challenging I'd suggest you sim forward 3 seasons before taking over the bottom team, that way those first 2-3 stacked "premade drafts" are over with and you end up needing to rebuild in the 8 year drought until all the stars begin to retire and go into the regen pool; Doing it that way might actually be a challenge, depending on your "luck" with newly generated players in those interim years. I'd also suggest using the challenge rule of not being allowed to trade for 1st round picks, the AI is quite atrocious at valuing their 1st round picks so you can set it up so you have at least 3 top half 1st round picks every single season (I kept that up for 27 consecutive seasons without really trying, just making cap management trades). If you're actually trying you can get the 1st Overall pick every year, although the ISS rankings tend to be awful so the #1 guy generally isn't worth the investment. I picked up Crosby's regen 10th overall for instance.
Shindigs
Gone scouting
Minor League

Postby kennec » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:00 am

Thanks for input. I will not try go for 1st rounders .

I have now started with this. I simmed forward and took over Flyers. They where deadlast in standings with only 27 wins. AI had made 2 trades vets for extra picks and Fasching from waivers.

The team consisted of a simmonds,giroux,mason,schenn,voracek and the super talent Provorov.
Before draft first year i moved away all players over age 29.

The most two most notable trades was:

Simmonds,Eiese,Mcdonald
for Niclas Ehlers from jets
An super good wing for a much younger winger, lost some attribute points but gained lots of milage on the top wings

Giroux,Mason,Reed,Oneil,
for Strome and De angelo from Arizona.
This fixed my hole on the right defense with a young offensive defender and strome is a potential top 2 lines center.

After a few more trades my team looks like this end of season 2:

Schenn-Countrier-Voracek
Ehlers-Grigorenko-Koencny
Weal-Loughton-Fasching

Del Zotoo-Gostisbehere
Provorov-De Angelo
Morin-Hultström
7th-Gudas

Lassinatti-Madsen

Schenn got long term INJ 8 months so Strome replace him, Strome was intended to grow in AHL but that plan got destroyed right away.

The prospects in the team
Nolan Patrick C 18 (1st pick 2017)
Logan Brown C 19 (Blocked by sens, mayby late bloomer)
Morand C 18 (2nd pick 17, ranked 2nd prospect in team report)
Sanheim 21 LD (In Ahl playing very good)
Luke Green 19 RD (41p in 21 games in st john,8,37AVG, 16 passing)
Carter Hart 19 G (ranked high in team report, play good in juniors)

Team analyse:
Keeping : Weak , bad starter and backup. Very hard to change with trades as the young keepers all are UNT and draft keepers very bad so far.
Defence : Good have a very solid future top 6, need a better young defensive defenseman for PK
Centers : Average Grigorenko-Countrier-Lougthon is average at best, low creativity and skating, with 3 upcoming prospects in Nolan,Brown and Morand this can be better in future
Wings : Very good Solid top 2 line wings with schenn,ehlers,konecny and voracek, and nice mix of vets and youth, but no re placers and no prospects in organization. This needs to be addressed with trades in future. Tkashev 22 year russian LW seems to be good 3 LW when he joins next summer.
kennec
Top Prospect

Postby Shindigs » Wed May 03, 2017 5:18 pm

Yeah, fixing goalies through the draft is nearly impossible. You need to get absolutely absurdly lucky to get even a .900+ goalie before around the late 2020s then you start getting regen goalies, and most of those will be awful as well due to how poorly this game generates goalies. It's essentially the biggest challenge, especially when you have no early 1st rounders to guarantee a shot at the 1-2 acceptable goalies per draft (in a good year). When I feel up for starting another save again I have a Canucks save setup where I opened up the save right after starting it and made sure that Demko wasn't over 150 PA (he was, so I lowered him manually). I also had to manually lower the PA of Shinkaruk and Cassels as they for some reason still had very high possible PAs in last year's db. They were like 158 and 152, so capable enough to be top 6 forwards when they should barely be NHLers IRL. I don't want to move to the 9.4 db due to the bug with rookies atm.
Shindigs
Gone scouting
Minor League

Postby kennec » Sat May 06, 2017 5:31 pm

Shindigs wrote:Yeah, fixing goalies through the draft is nearly impossible. You need to get absolutely absurdly lucky to get even a .900+ goalie before around the late 2020s then you start getting regen goalies, and most of those will be awful as well due to how poorly this game generates goalies. It's essentially the biggest challenge, especially when you have no early 1st rounders to guarantee a shot at the 1-2 acceptable goalies per draft (in a good year). When I feel up for starting another save again I have a Canucks save setup where I opened up the save right after starting it and made sure that Demko wasn't over 150 PA (he was, so I lowered him manually). I also had to manually lower the PA of Shinkaruk and Cassels as they for some reason still had very high possible PAs in last year's db. They were like 158 and 152, so capable enough to be top 6 forwards when they should barely be NHLers IRL. I don't want to move to the 9.4 db due to the bug with rookies atm.

Yes rookie bug is not so fun.

I had logan brown ( a mayby late boomer in juniors untill he was 21 and devolped nicely) My plan was to send him to AHL to center a pretty good line for a year before he would get center ice time in 2nd line with 2 veterans. Now insteed i couldnt send him down couse he was considered a veteran altough he only playd in OHL.

The result of the bug was he was forced to play on 3C and got form 6-6-6-6-6 and dont devolp anything at all :(
kennec
Top Prospect

Postby Shindigs » Sat May 20, 2017 5:38 pm

That's a bummer.

I ended up resetting the Vancouver save with having changed some draft prospects and adding some easter egg prospects named after my previous GMs in other saves. I didn't leach Demko and just let him roll whatever PA he may, I swapped both Cole Cassels, Shinkaruk and Virtanen to -7 in the db so they can't become very good. They all low-rolled and Boeser didn't really pan out either. I also got a bad Ben Hutton, so in true Canucks fashion our prospect pool was about as depressing as can be. I'm using slightly modified challenge mode rules, essentially I don't trade for players and I never have old teams so I swapped the one 1-for-1 player trade for a 2nd 1-for-1 player for pick (no higher than 2nd round) and I removed the age cap for it (since I never have anyone old enough for the normal rules). I to make up for that change i won't sign any UFAs and RFAs that aren't my own, or make any waiver pickups. Apart from that I've kept completely within those rules.

Currently 4 seasons in with 4 cups, but only 1 president's trophy. The Sedins were acceptable year one, bad year two and a ball and chain year 3. We got carried to the finals by Lias Andersson (who is an old MVP of mine from playing in Swe-2) putting up 30 points in 16 games leading up to the finals series against Buffalo, which was a sweep since Lehner has a sub .900SV% against us. Andersson was sitting on exactly 2PPG until the last 2 games of the Conference Finals, earning him the Calder and the Conn Smythe in his rookie season as the 30th Overall pick in that year's draft. He started the season in the minors, then an injury gave him a spot on the 4th line. After a few weeks yet another injury gave him a spot on the 1st line and he started scoring at a 2PPG pace ending the season with 56 points in 70 games after having the usual rookie slump in March.

As things stand I'm very thankful that Demko turned out to be decent in this save, there has been a grant total of 2 goalies that were still left by pick 30 that were even remotely pickable in the 4 drafts so far. I'm really hurting for a capable backup as there are only so many years left on Markström's contract and he won't be settling for another backup job after that.

This 4th season without the Sedin's was the first glimpse of the kind of performances I got used to in my Jets save, I've replaced the Forwards 2 a year and apart from Horvat and Sutter the top 6 is all my drafted players and next year there will only be Horvat, Sutter and Boeser left in the entire forward side.

I've made some pretty insane draft steals, starting from the 15-16 db as usual in the 1st Draft I picked up Michael McLeod at 30th and Tyson Jost at 60th as well as Riley Tufte at 78th Overall. McLeod scored 81 points in his rookie campaign, Jost has developed into a PPG guy who's our new captain at age 20 and Riley Tufte scored 38 points from the 3rd line with no PP in his rookie campaign. Looking forward he's going to be our overskilled 4th line scorer as we look to roll 4 skilled lines.

In the 2nd Draft I picked up Lias Andersson at 30th, who obviously won the Calder and Conn Smythe, at 38 I picked up Urho Vaakanainen who runs our 1st PP unit and plays on our 2nd Dman pairing, 63 points in his sophomore season. At 68th I picked up Casey Mittelstadt who projects to be our 3rd highest PA player. He went the College route so he's doing his first season for us this year as an overskilled 3rd line C. Then at 65th I picked up Riku Laitinen (newgen) who is a nasty Finnish sniper projecting to be our Highest PA player. At 120th I picked up Scott Reedy who is looking like an overskilled 3rd line C already at 20 and will take over that spot after Sutter moves along in a few years and Mittelstadt moves up to the top 6. At 150th I picked up Marcus Sirén, another player I know from Swe-2 and he's turned into our 4th line C, 1st PP Half-board player and 1st BP center. Pretty much the best 4th line C you can ask for. Finally at 180th overall we picked up a tiny 172cm tall Czech Offensive/two-way defenceman named Radim Kastner (newgen) who is currently playing the slightly more defensive role on our 2nd pairing with Urho Vaakanainen, putting up 28 points and a +26 rating in his rookie season.

This brings us to the 3rd draft where I picked up Youtube sensation of ages past Oliver Wahlström at 30th. He played 9 games down the stretch with us last season putting up 4 goals in 9 games with no PP from the 3rd line. Look forward to seeing what he can do next year after we have enough cap to fit over the floor with him in the lineup. At 44th I picked up William Lund (newgen) who is a very promising defensive forward. Not sure where I'll fit him, but he's darn good and rapid. At 60th Overall I picked up Jaroslav Frosch (newgen) who is an Offensive defenceman standing at 199cm tall and projecting to be a 1-2 guy similar to Hampus Lindholm. In this year's draft the biggest deal is probably picking up Kirby Dach at 30th Overall, we're most likely going to retrain him to play RW since we have more top 6 centers than you can throw a stick at. He's projecting to be our 2nd highest PA guy on the team.

I'm only getting into my 5th season and I've already not got room to play all the prospects I want in our starting lineup. Mostly due to needing to hit the cap floor, but next year about half our team comes off their entries and then I can really finish the revamp to my new young core. I was really hoping to avoid that situation with the challenge rules, but I've made a slight alteration to how I draft and it seems to have tilted the Steal:Bust ratio by an obscene amount. Trying to get my hands on defensively able offensive/two-way defencemen is a bit hard though as all those guys tend to go in the low teens in drafts. With no pick until 30 I really have to make "risky" picks and hope they pay off when it comes to filling that role. Not to mention the brewing goalie issue.
Shindigs
Gone scouting
Minor League

Return to General EHM Chat