The Blue Line

Old Time Hockey

Discuss anything related to hockey games / gaming or online hockey games in this forum; such as EA Sports NHL series and Wolverine Sports' Faceoff Hockey. Are you working on a new hockey game? Feel free to post about it in here!
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: ADVERTISING A LEAGUE/COMPETITION/WEB SITE/FORUM IS NO LONGER PERMITTED ANYWHERE ON THE BLUE LINE. We have had too many people take liberties with this privilege; signing up simply to advertise their site and not actually contributing to the community. We also see a lot of bumping of threads which is really just spamming the site. Anybody that advertises anything on TBL will be permanently banned for spamming.

Old Time Hockey

Postby Ukko » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:40 pm

I'm eagerly waiting for this new game !
I thought it'd be nice to have its own topic here, so I'm posting this.

Here we go :

http://www.oldtimehockeyarcade.com/

Teams announced so far :

Charleston Hinto Brews - Charleston, SC
Fort Edward Acadians - Windsor, NS
Long Island Rumrunners - Commack, NY
Quebec Rebelles - Beauce, QC
Cape Cod Lamplighters - Hyannisport, MA
Warroad Ice Anglers - Warroad, MN
Cascadia Timber Cats - Springfield, OR
Portage Lake Widowmakers - Houghton, MI
Moose Jaw Farmhands - Moose Jaw, SK
Cobalt Silver Blades - Cobalt, ON

Release statement from V7

Teaser

New Year announcement
Last edited by Ukko on Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ukko
Minor League

Re: Old Time Hockey

Postby Ukko » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:41 pm

I'm already struggling to choose what team I'll play first !!

I think I'll go for the francophone cousins in QC ;)

I really, really, really wish we can create our own teams at some point, I have a few funny ideas already :D
Ukko
Minor League

Postby archibalduk » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:43 pm

Looks very intriguing! I'll be interested to read the reviews upon release in order to see whether it is genuinely fun or just a gimmick. I really hope it turns out well!
archibalduk
Seaside + Fruit Juice Mode
TBL Admin Team

Trophies:  1   2   1

Postby MikelPickle » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:40 pm

This game looks pretty interesting and I would give it a shot.
MikelPickle
Prospect

Postby B. Stinson » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:14 am

archibalduk wrote:...to see whether it is genuinely fun or just a gimmick. I really hope it turns out well!

Same here; I'm hoping for a nice '90s-style hockey game, with a healthy balance of smash-'em-up and hockey.

Combine that with the unique '70s theme, and the fact that they'll be the only active hockey game on PC... they'll have something :thup:
B. Stinson
TBL Admin Team

Trophies:  1   1 

Postby Ukko » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:55 pm

I've watched a couple guys streaming the game in career/story mode today, and I'm very hyped by the game : NHL-esque controls, nice stroy mode idea, fair price (11,99 US $ on Steam apparently).

Add to it the possibility to have Steam workshop team modification/add-on and I'll be more than satisfied.
Ukko
Minor League

Postby B. Stinson » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:12 am

Hot off the press, it's live on Steam! And like Ukko said, very nice price, too... only $11.99 :thup:

EDIT: Word of warning, though: the game currently requires a controller.
B. Stinson
TBL Admin Team

Postby Tasku » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:23 am

Looks like it's just about the hockey matches. I always thought it included some off ice elements as well. That's the impression I got from the webpage. Ah well, maybe I'll buy it, maybe not.
Tasku
W-WPoTBLfaSaD
TBL Admin Team

Postby B. Stinson » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:12 am

Unfortunately, I ended up refunding :(

It's not a terrible game, but it's definitely not what I was hoping it would be, and still needs some work. The story mode, for example, seems to be about ticking off objectives rather than simply playing hockey. Start X number of fights; score three goals while on fire; fight a goalie; etc. Actually playing and trying to win a hockey game takes a back seat to completing your objectives. Personally, I was hoping for a much more traditional season mode: pick a team and play season-to-season, unscripted.

I'll check back sometime down the road to see how they're getting along, but for now, there's a huge iRacing dirt update coming today that needs my time and money :P
B. Stinson
TBL Admin Team

Postby archibalduk » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:43 pm

Watching the Youtube previews make it look very promising but, having read the initial reviews on Steam and what you guys have said above, it sounds like it's not worth picking up. I can't imagine many people wanting to recreate 70s hockey / the 90s EA NHL games really wants some challenge/story mode. Perhaps the devs will eventually realise this... :dunno:
archibalduk
Seaside + Fruit Juice Mode
TBL Admin Team

Trophies:  1   2   1

Postby Ukko » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:24 pm

A hotfix has been released, the Career/Story mode has been changed a bit and objectives aren't always all needed to advance. Also, tutorial had been removed and you can go full advanced controls from the very beginning.

It makes things go better, but I'm really looking forward to getting workshop opened (got teams concept ideas in the pipe :) )

The state of the game ATM is enjoyable nontheless, I've restarted a Story mode to see the changes, and it's quite better, got my first win in the second game in OT.

edit : You can unlock "Story Mode +" when doing the Konami code at start screen, it allows to play a season with a team of your choice.
Ukko
Minor League

Return to Hockey Games General Discussion