Thread Titles: How To Not Get Your Topic Locked or Deleted

Find our latest site news here. Want to contribute, have an idea or having a problem? Post your feedback here!
archibalduk
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Seaside + Fruit Juice Mode
Favourite Team: Guildford (EPL) / Invicta (NIHL)

Thread Titles: How To Not Get Your Topic Locked or Deleted

Post by archibalduk » Thu May 18, 2006 10:53 pm

When posting threads (particularly in the EHM Forums) please try to ensure that the thread title briefly describes the topic of your thread.

It'll make it easier for people that know the answer to respond if they can see when glancing at the Forums what threads have been posted. It also makes it easier for future reference as it may be that a user in the future has a similar question and so can get the answer by looking at the old thread rather than posting a new thread and having to wait for an answer :)

Minstrel
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Minty
Favourite Team: Chicago Blackhawks

Post by Minstrel » Fri May 19, 2006 12:21 am

Good point Arch :thup:

Also, keep in mind 'what should i do' is not acceptable while "Problem allowing too many late goals as Maple Leafs?" is what we are looking for. People from this know your specific problem (too many late goals) and that you are playing as the Leafs before even opening your thread to get more information. Anyone who plays as the Leafs are much more likley to respond to that thread, and if a discussion develops then the next person that comes as a new user to the Forum and sees a question about allowing late goals can easily see to start there.

All threads get answered pretty darn quickly here so just post your question, you don't need to add PLEASE HELP! or anything of that sort. Additionally no use of text-talk type abbreviations or sayings in titles 'Wut am I sposed to do 4 playoffs?' isn't acceptable. It's annoying; doing either will probably get your thread deleted.

We may also soon begin to just delete threads that ask the same question as another thread. Especially if they obviously didn't bother to look four threads down the page from their new post where their exact question has been answered.

Check out the Online EHM Guide first as that should answer any of your basic questions about the game. It's like our FAQ but it's 69 pages long in .pdf form because we are just that good 8-)

Also, read any threads that might have already discussed your problem first. At the bottom of the page is a row of icons, and the left-most of those says 'Search'. Going back to my first example before posting you should search for "late goals" and see if it's been discussed at some point over the past 10+ months we've been discussing the game.

As the site grows, and thankyou to everyone who has contributed to the site's popularity of course, we'll need to be more strict in administrating the boards themselves so follow a few basic rules and it will help put everyone in the long run. :thup: This is stuff we don't like to do but it is part of our job as board Admins.
Last edited by Minstrel on Fri May 19, 2006 12:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

E5150_ca
All-Star
Custom Rank: PrO Canada!

Post by E5150_ca » Fri May 19, 2006 12:24 am

In summary, read before you post. :thup:

Minstrel
TBL Admin Team

Post by Minstrel » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:36 pm

We seem to have another round of this going on so here's a warning to people that I'm not going to edit thread titles anymore and instead lock them until the thread starter messages me that they have read this thread AND in that post tells me what he wants the thread title to be changed to. In general we do very little official intervention in threads but the time has come for this one unfortunately.

I'm copying this as an Announcement atop each main forum so there will be no exceptions. Read the messages prior to this one in this thread as well as they have more details but here's some specifics:

No thread titles in ALL CAPS.
No thread titles that don't summarize what the thread is about.
No new threads about the same thing covered in another thread you were to lazy to search for.

Love,

Minty the TBL Badcop :minty:

archibalduk
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Seaside + Fruit Juice Mode
Favourite Team: Guildford (EPL) / Invicta (NIHL)

Post by archibalduk » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:32 am

Rather than having sticky posts in each Forum that some people are mising, we've placed the guidelines below the box where you enter thread titles. It's in bold and in a very prominent position so there's no longer any excuses (click on the image to see it full-sized):

Minstrel
TBL Admin Team

Post by Minstrel » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:46 am

That is a thing o beauty Archi =D>

batdad
The Great One
Custom Rank: Mr Technology
Favourite Team: Syracuse Bulldogs.

Post by batdad » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:24 am

Since we have a number of new users again recently, who are posting new threads that the mods are having to clean up, I thought I would bump this old one.

Please read it over.

Also please

1. Do a thorough search using the magnifying glass of the forums for an old thread about your topic.

2. Read all applicable information in that thread before asking your question. It is HIGHLY UNLIKELY, although possible that the question has never been asked.

3. Repeat performances of not searching and finding easy to find threads will result in warnings (PMs) and if continued could result in suspension or ban

Return to “TBL Announcements and Feedback”