TBL XG2: The New Site Design - Feedback and Suggestions

Find our latest site news here. Want to contribute, have an idea or having a problem? Post your feedback here!
archibalduk
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Seaside + Fruit Juice Mode
Favourite Team: Guildford (EPL) / Invicta (NIHL)

TBL XG2: The New Site Design - Feedback and Suggestions

Post by archibalduk » Sun May 16, 2010 11:25 am

Please use this thread for an general feedback and suggestions or suggestions for new features.

If you want to report an issue or design issue then please use the following thread instead http://www.ehmtheblueline.com/forums/vi ... 9173#99173

grits207
Fourth Line
Favourite Team: Toronto Maple Leafs
SBHL Team: Los Angeles Kings

Post by grits207 » Sun May 16, 2010 2:30 pm

Very nice, great job! :thup:

Círyatan
Leading Scorer
Custom Rank: Eagle eyes!

Post by Círyatan » Sun May 16, 2010 4:24 pm

First of all, let me tell you that you have done a truly outstanding job, Archi. I can only imagine how much work it took. The new site design is beautiful, I totally dig it. :thup:

Now for suggestions. I really miss the log in fields at the bottom of the main page and would love to have them back. I find it tiresome to head to a drop-down menu everytime I want to log in, and the automatic log in is just not for me. With those fields, it only took hitting the tab key a couple of times, instead of having to point a mouse at a menu item. Maybe not much of an issue, but that's just me.

I'd also welcome a log out button on the menu bar, but it's really not that important.

I also remember suggesting adding a go to button where you could manually enter the number of the page you wanted to go, I hope you manage to pull it off. It would be a real help when browsing long threads.

Two minor things regarding the design:

I like the idea of the two-colour highlight (no. 1), though the second colour now seems to be the same as the colour of the drop-down menu. Also, I would change the drop-down menu border colour (no. 2) to something not white, I think it would work better that way. I remember you posting some examples of a blue-green concept. It look good to me, though it had less of that "icy" feel the current colour theme has. I like both ideas, to be honest.

Once again, great work, Archi! Can't tell you how much I love the new design. :-D

getzlaf15
Hall of Fame
Custom Rank: TBL Update Team

Post by getzlaf15 » Sun May 16, 2010 4:50 pm

Incredibly good design Arch! :notworthy:

In each of our profiles. I see there is the Challenge Stats as a GM. How about incorporating the Create-A-Star stats in their somehow or something?

archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Post by archibalduk » Sun May 16, 2010 5:23 pm

Círyatan - thanks for your excellent post! =D> There are a lot of extremely good points in there. Here is what I think:

1) The page number thing is on my list of functions to investigate. I expect there will be a pre-made mod for this but I reckon I could possibly write some code from scratch if needs be.

2) There isn't enough room in the nav bar for a Logout button. It's currently located in the Control Panel menu. Perhaps I could fit a small on/off logo somewhere between the nav bar and search box? :-k

3) The colour scheme of the nav bar is one of those tiny things that has been a really difficult thing to design. The green just didn't go with the TBL style so I dropped it in favour of blue and white. But it could be better. Maybe the highlight could be whiter so that it doesn't blend in with the rest of the menu?

4) The white border is just to stop the blues on the page merging into the blues of the nav menu. However if you have any suggestions as to what colour we could try or if the border needs to be thicker, then I'm very happy to give it a shot. :thup:

Getz - I suggested to my brother about introducing a Create-A-Star section for the site. However he is currently unsure if he has the time any more to continue with CAS. Thus I didn't see the value in working on it if CAS wasn't going to continue any more. If we could find a way of making CAS less labour intensive (it took Nick hours to do the CAS updates) then maybe we could get it going again and I could add some CAS bits to the site.

Manimal
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: EHM Rosters Man
Favourite Team: Djurgårdens IF

Post by Manimal » Sun May 16, 2010 5:53 pm

Love the new design! Great job!

Círyatan
Leading Scorer

Post by Círyatan » Sun May 16, 2010 5:54 pm

Archi wrote:1) The page number thing is on my list of functions to investigate. I expect there will be a pre-made mod for this but I reckon I could possibly write some code from scratch if needs be.
:thup:
Archi wrote:2) There isn't enough room in the nav bar for a Logout button. It's currently located in the Control Panel menu. Perhaps I could fit a small on/off logo somewhere between the nav bar and search box? :-k
As I said, it's a minor thing. If there's no space, no problem. I'd much rather have my lovely log in fields back.:-D
Archi wrote:3) The colour scheme of the nav bar is one of those tiny things that has been a really difficult thing to design. The green just didn't go with the TBL style so I dropped it in favour of blue and white. But it could be better. Maybe the highlight could be whiter so that it doesn't blend in with the rest of the menu?
Yup, I also think I prefer the "icy" theme. Seems like you have to try various shades of blue/grey/silver/white, and you'll sure find something that works. :thup:
Archi wrote:4) The white border is just to stop the blues on the page merging into the blues of the nav menu. However if you have any suggestions as to what colour we could try or if the border needs to be thicker, then I'm very happy to give it a shot. :thup:
Well I'm not sure on that one. I just thought it might be a little more different from the background. But as I said, I may be trying to correct something that doesn't need to be. :oops:

archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Post by archibalduk » Sun May 16, 2010 5:58 pm

Círyatan wrote:Well I'm not sure on that one. I just thought it might be a little more different from the background. But as I said, I may be trying to correct something that doesn't need to be. :oops:
I think if you spotted it in the first place then it clearly doesn't look quite right. I'll have a think and see if I can come up with something better.

I forgot to mention in my post above that I'll add the login fields back to the index for you. :thup:

B. Stinson
TBL Admin Team
Favourite Team: Philadelphia Flyers

Post by B. Stinson » Sun May 16, 2010 6:05 pm

I really like the new dropdown item highlighting. The lime green, oddly enough, looked pretty good, but the gradient really fits well with the design.

I also love the red post-related buttons. It creates a nice balance with the blue design.

EDIT: And of course, how could I forget the GM profiles! Without exaggeration, that's a truly awesome addition to the site - with career stats and attributes being tracked and everything. A+ idea.

archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Post by archibalduk » Sun May 16, 2010 6:37 pm

B. Stinson wrote:EDIT: And of course, how could I forget the GM profiles! Without exaggeration, that's a truly awesome addition to the site - with career stats and attributes being tracked and everything. A+ idea.
It's definitely going to motivate me to get more involved in competing with the Challenges once I've got more of the site done. My GM attributes suck at the moment! :D

I think a neat extra feature would be to add a 'compare' button on other user's GM Profiles. Then when you click on it, it compares your attributes and stats with theirs. It would be a fairly simple addition seeing as 99% of the work is already done.

Loosie
Team Captain
Custom Rank: Holy journeyman Batman

Post by Loosie » Sun May 16, 2010 6:46 pm

Wow guys the site looks awesome. Great job done by everyone who worked on it.

joehelmer
TBL Mod Team
Favourite Team: Djurgården (SHL)

Post by joehelmer » Sun May 16, 2010 7:33 pm

Great job Archie! I really like the new design, now it's just hard to get used to it. :help:

But it will come with time.

Ronc
Minor League
Favourite Team: Columbus Blue Jackets

Post by Ronc » Sun May 16, 2010 8:04 pm

This template is great! Brings come more users here i think! Gm profile is great idea, but i dont play TBL challenges so that is pretty sad ;(

Anyways, if there comes simplier rules, i could be in! My english isnt great, so thats why its pretty hard.. ;)

Danny
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by Danny » Sun May 16, 2010 10:06 pm

Very nice job archi.

CeeBee
All-Star

Post by CeeBee » Sun May 16, 2010 10:22 pm

Great job Archi. :) Love the new design :thup: :-D

bossman
Prospect

Post by bossman » Mon May 17, 2010 12:13 am

Awesome. Just awesome! Great job!

McQwak
Stanley Cup Winner
Custom Rank: Now with capital letters!

Post by McQwak » Mon May 17, 2010 12:24 am

It's cool! :cry:
I like those new titlebars, but the Ovechkin one. :-p

What about resetting that "Most users ever online" (or maybe other stats)?

Ronc
Minor League
Favourite Team: Columbus Blue Jackets

Post by Ronc » Mon May 17, 2010 6:19 am

McQwak wrote:
That would be nice! I support this also!

BaerXIII
Prospect

Post by BaerXIII » Mon May 17, 2010 6:33 am

The design looks great so far but in all fairness I've only been on here for about 15 minutes with this design lol.

The Hutch
Fourth Line

Post by The Hutch » Mon May 17, 2010 7:02 am

Ba da pa da da I'm loving it.

Círyatan
Leading Scorer

Post by Círyatan » Mon May 17, 2010 10:33 am

McQwak wrote:I like those new titlebars, but the Ovechkin one. :-p
The titlebars are great! :thup: How about making them clickable (maybe that could lead to the forum index)?

cm_spitfire
Prospect

Post by cm_spitfire » Mon May 17, 2010 10:40 am

Great job, Archi! It looks and feels fantastic!

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Post by bruins72 » Mon May 17, 2010 4:09 pm

I'll just keep it simple and say this... "EPIC"!

archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Post by archibalduk » Mon May 17, 2010 6:44 pm

Ronc wrote:This template is great! Brings come more users here i think! Gm profile is great idea, but i dont play TBL challenges so that is pretty sad ;(

Anyways, if there comes simplier rules, i could be in! My english isnt great, so thats why its pretty hard.. ;)
That's a real shame that the language barrier is stopping you from joining in. :( If you're interested in joining then perhaps one of your fellow Finnish users could help you with translations?

McQwak wrote:It's cool! :cry:
I like those new titlebars, but the Ovechkin one. :-p

That's a good point! I did promise to do that. I'll try to do it either later this evening or tomorrow. :thup:

Círyatan wrote:
McQwak wrote:I like those new titlebars, but the Ovechkin one. :-p
The titlebars are great! :thup: How about making them clickable (maybe that could lead to the forum index)?
That's a very good idea. I'll see what I can do :thup:

McQwak - I thought the inclusion of Ovechkin might be a little contentious! :D Still, there's no denying his skill!

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Post by bruins72 » Mon May 17, 2010 6:48 pm

From the Challenge Questions and Feedback thread...
McQwak wrote:Challenge Improvement Stats: what does the color of number mean? Both positive and negative numbers are green or red (or black). :dunno:
For example http://www.ehmtheblueline.com/forums/ch ... p?c=15&s=2
Thanks.

Return to “TBL Announcements and Feedback”