TBL XG2: The New Site Design - Errors, Issues, Oddities, Etc

Find our latest site news here. Want to contribute, have an idea or having a problem? Post your feedback here!
bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Post by bruins72 » Wed May 19, 2010 9:07 pm

archibalduk wrote:Haha, it's because Malone_is_fitness_or_whatever_his_name_is has an incredibly long name which breaks every page he posts on! :D I noticed this a couple of days before releasing the site but I'd completely forgotten about this until you reminded me. I'll try and sort it asap. In the meantime, perhaps we should ban him from posting :D
Nah! Maybe just shorten his name. :-p

Círyatan
Leading Scorer
Custom Rank: Eagle eyes!

Post by Círyatan » Wed May 19, 2010 9:27 pm

archibalduk wrote:
Círyatan wrote:
joehelmer wrote: The post reply button is right beside the quick reply for me. :-k

But it wasn't when I was logged out earlier...
But try to have a larger resolution on your screen and I think it will be fixed.
Maybe it's similar to what I've posted earlier. :-k But I can't change to a larger resolution on a 12inch screen.
Next time it happens, post a screenshot :thup:
I already have, here. It looks exactly like that. If you need more screenshots, Archi, just tell me what exactly do you need me to post. :thup:
bruins72 wrote:
archibalduk wrote:Haha, it's because Malone_is_fitness_or_whatever_his_name_is has an incredibly long name which breaks every page he posts on! :D I noticed this a couple of days before releasing the site but I'd completely forgotten about this until you reminded me. I'll try and sort it asap. In the meantime, perhaps we should ban him from posting :D
Nah! Maybe just shorten his name. :-p
Maybe just breaking it into two would do the trick. :-k

archibalduk
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Seaside + Fruit Juice Mode
Favourite Team: Guildford (EPL) / Invicta (NIHL)

Post by archibalduk » Wed May 19, 2010 9:54 pm

Círyatan wrote:
archibalduk wrote:
Círyatan wrote: Maybe it's similar to what I've posted earlier. :-k But I can't change to a larger resolution on a 12inch screen.
Next time it happens, post a screenshot :thup:
I already have, here. It looks exactly like that. If you need more screenshots, Archi, just tell me what exactly do you need me to post. :thup:
Ah I see. I thought it was a different issue to yours (I thought the button was disappearing altogether). I'll look into it. :thup:

I've installed Safari for Windows but frustratingly it doesn't have the same issue with the nav bar like on the Mac. However, I am completely redesigning the nav bar from scratch so hopefully I can get an IE-friendly and Mac-friendly nav bar sorted soon...

McQwak
Stanley Cup Winner
Custom Rank: Now with capital letters!

Post by McQwak » Wed May 19, 2010 10:41 pm

It broke threads in old design, too. Isn't there some maximal username lenght set?

philou21
The Great One
Custom Rank: 24 cups!!!
Favourite Team: Colorado Avalanche

Post by philou21 » Thu May 20, 2010 2:18 am

Never got problems with his username. :dunno:

archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Post by archibalduk » Fri May 21, 2010 9:40 pm

McQwak wrote:
It broke threads in old design, too. Isn't there some maximal username lenght set?
It's because its once continuous string of text (i.e. there's no space in it) so at the moment it doesn't wrap onto a second line. I need to add some php code to make the text wrap after a certain number of characters.

archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Post by archibalduk » Fri May 21, 2010 9:42 pm

I have completely redesigned the nav bar which works in IE and Windows Firefox (still need to test on Ubuntu Chrome and Firefox). It also solves the problems with the magnifying glass and the gaps in the two corners. Hopefully I'll have it completed and uploaded by Monday. :thup:

axwel3221
Checking Line

Post by axwel3221 » Fri May 21, 2010 10:49 pm

archibalduk wrote:I have completely redesigned the nav bar which works in IE and Windows Firefox (still need to test on Ubuntu Chrome and Firefox). It also solves the problems with the magnifying glass and the gaps in the two corners. Hopefully I'll have it completed and uploaded by Monday. :thup:
Chrome works fine. ;)

archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Post by archibalduk » Tue May 25, 2010 10:25 pm

Urgh I've been really busy with work (and still am) and so have had little energy to work on TBL bits. However I have now redesigned and uploaded a new nav bar.

This addresses the following:
- Most importantly it works with Internet Explorer :joy:
- It resolves the issues with the corners being 2 pixels out of position
- It looks a little smarter

Remaining issues (I'll try and find the time tomorrow to solve these):
- The search magnifying glass isn't positioned correctly in Firefox (Ubuntu and, IIRC, Windows)
- The text in the search text box isn't vertically aligned quite right.

I thought it best to get this online now despite the minor remaining issues as the nav bar now works with IE and it resolves the annoying corners issue.

By the way, let me know if you have any suggestions regarding the colour scheme of the nav menus. I'm still struggling to find the perfect combination that fits in with the rest of the site. ](*,)

archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Post by archibalduk » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:05 pm

I think I have now addressed all of the issues identified by everybody in this thread and the Feeback/Suggestions thread (with the exception of the recent Challenges in the Hall of Fame and trophies). Please let me know if there is anything I have missed or if you have any further suggestions. Thank you to everybody who has provided feedback :thup:

I'll next be working on the TBL logo (for the poll) and also the Challenges. For the Challenges I'll be doing the following:

* Posting an update on the past two Challenges to make users aware that they need to check their stats for these seasons to make sure they're complete. We'll give users a month to do this and then we'll award the trophies.
* Update the Hall of Fame and user trophies for any outstanding Challenges.
* Create some unique header images for the Challenge Centre (if anyone has any suggestions for some action shots then let me know - I was thinking pics relating to coaches/GMs and players holding trophies, etc).
* Create a stats uploading system so users can upload their stats directly to the site.
* Add some extra pages for the Mods to allow easy updating of the Challenge pages.

B. Stinson
TBL Admin Team
Favourite Team: Philadelphia Flyers

Post by B. Stinson » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:35 pm

I'd hate to add to your troubles, but it looks like the navbar ends are still showing up 1px short for me in Linux Firefox 3.6.3. No trouble with Google Chrome, however. :thup:

It's hardly noticeable, though, so don't hassle yourself over it.

archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Post by archibalduk » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:06 pm

Gah, that nav bar is the bane of my life! ](*,) I could have sworn it was working with Ubuntu FF. I'll look into it... :thup:

B. Stinson
TBL Admin Team
Favourite Team: Philadelphia Flyers

Post by B. Stinson » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:30 pm

Here's a screenshot of it. ...Proof that I'm not trying to mess with your head. :-p

archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Post by archibalduk » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:36 pm

It's happening on my Ubuntu FF too. I'm 99% sure I tested it on Ubuntu FF when I last redesigned it and it worked. :-k

Lazion
Second Line
Favourite Team: Flyers

Re: TBL XG2: The New Site Design - Errors, Issues, Oddities,

Post by Lazion » Sat May 14, 2011 9:54 pm

Now I'm not sure if this is in right thread :dunno:
Mozilla firefox resized window.

archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Post by archibalduk » Sat May 14, 2011 11:06 pm

That'll be because you're viewing the site in a window smaller than the minimum width. If you make the window larger, it'll go back to normal. It's not ideal, but I plan on redesigning the nav header at some point as I'm not entirely happy with it.

Tasku
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: W-WPoTBLfaSaD
Favourite Team: WSH Capitals

Post by Tasku » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:21 pm

Not sure if I'm the only one, but I have some serious trouble seeing that red circle around the forum icon, indicating new posts have been made.

Perhaps something more distinct could be used here? Perhaps make the red circle thicker? :-k

Image <-- This one.

archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Post by archibalduk » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:35 pm

Yeah I'd love to get some sort of hockey-related icons like what we had with the previous forums. I'll look into it later this summer. :thup:

Tasku
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: W-WPoTBLfaSaD
Favourite Team: WSH Capitals

Post by Tasku » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:39 pm

Sounds good! :-)

Return to “TBL Announcements and Feedback”