EHM 1 Database & Saved Game Editor

Discuss all aspects of editing the data in EHM here. Have a question about the Pre Game Editor, editing the .cfg files, hex editing the .dat files? Want to tweak the EHM exe file to change league rules/structure, start date etc? This is the place!
Forum rules
This is the forum to discuss all aspects of editing the EHM data and tweaking the game.

Please note that discussion about roster updates belongs in the Game Add-ons Forum.
Rono
Prospect

Post by Rono » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:59 pm

It's my problem too after edit colours.

BKarchitect
Second Line

Post by BKarchitect » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:09 am

Hey archi...this may or may not be relative to the editor but I've run into a frustrating editing bug. Actually it's probably not an editor issue but maybe you have some insight on how colors are structured?

I've created a ton of new colors for new and existing clubs to be more precise matches and to help fill out some of my fictional added clubs. But I've been noticing a weird issue...there are certain teams that when they are the home team, they'll wear appear in the in-game setting as their standard home colors (in this case, dark). But the team that is the away team also appears in their dark home colors. After much testing, I've determined the issue is with the new colors I've added - they show up correctly but cause the in-game graphics to make the opposing club also appear in their home colors. If I in-game edit the colors to some standard colors that were previously in the DB, things correct themselves.

I've had no actual errors with all these new colors and like I said, they show up correctly. But is there some kind of table or ID for the colors that could be causing the game to do this strange home versus home in-game setup? The away games work fine, always white vs color. Maybe there is a limit to the number of colors the game can effectively utilize? Or it is not distinguishing type or ID's of the colors? Then again, they look fine except for the bug in the in-game UI.

Here is Seattle with some custom colors, they are the home team so they are fine but the game is forcing whichever opponent they play to also be represented by their home colors:

Away graphics are fine:

EDIT: Messed around with the colors some more and now the color vs color issue is gone but now Seattle is using their road whites for both home and away games...really bizarre...

xECK29x
Fourth Line
Custom Rank: Premier Pivot Rosters Man
Favourite Team: New York Islanders

Post by xECK29x » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:17 am

archibalduk wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:32 am
I have not been able to recreate the issue with my own tests. If I create a new player via an Importer spreadsheet and leave some or all of the positional attributes blank, they appear as zero in the DB.
Weird, maybe it was just the sheet I was using. I'm using the staff.csv created from the 'Create Templates' button, using v.0.2.9 of the Editor. I can't recreate it now on my end either trying to get an example together, I was so busy just trying to undo everything I didn't take the time to document it.

archibalduk
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Seaside + Fruit Juice Mode
Favourite Team: Guildford (EPL) / Invicta (NIHL)

Post by archibalduk » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:22 pm

BKarchitect wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:09 am
Hey archi...this may or may not be relative to the editor but I've run into a frustrating editing bug. Actually it's probably not an editor issue but maybe you have some insight on how colors are structured?
This will relate to how the game uses colours rather than there being something with the database/Editor. I think colours were, to some extent, hardcoded in the past (in EHM 2004 and 2005 IIRC) - not in the case of team/competition colours but in relation to other aspects of the game which escape me now. The database simply allows you to set the name and shade of colours. I expect there is something in the game which then determines whether two colours clash. I wouldn't be surprised if EHM was set up to deal only with the original set of shades.

My suggestion is to post this on the SI Bugs Forum so that Riz can take a look at some point.
xECK29x wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:17 am
archibalduk wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:32 am
I have not been able to recreate the issue with my own tests. If I create a new player via an Importer spreadsheet and leave some or all of the positional attributes blank, they appear as zero in the DB.
Weird, maybe it was just the sheet I was using. I'm using the staff.csv created from the 'Create Templates' button, using v.0.2.9 of the Editor. I can't recreate it now on my end either trying to get an example together, I was so busy just trying to undo everything I didn't take the time to document it.
If you still have the sheet then email it through to me and I'll take a quick look. If the spreadsheet was missing columns or had text in the positional columns then I could see how that might result in lots of 20s. But otherwise this surprises me because you/me/Manimal/BK/the TBL researchers have all been using the sheets without this issue arising.

xECK29x
Fourth Line

Post by xECK29x » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:57 pm

archibalduk wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:22 pm
If you still have the sheet then email it through to me and I'll take a quick look. If the spreadsheet was missing columns or had text in the positional columns then I could see how that might result in lots of 20s. But otherwise this surprises me because you/me/Manimal/BK/the TBL researchers have all been using the sheets without this issue arising.
Will do.

Alessandro
Olympic Gold
Custom Rank: TBL Rosters Man
Favourite Team: Team Russia
WHL Team: Calgary Flames

Post by Alessandro » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:23 am

I'm having a fast look to create a 29-team KHL. The problem is that when I go to stages, it won't save if I change the number of teams there :-? It's set at 12 and 13 for the two conferences, I put 14 and 15, punch save, yet it reverts back to 12 and 13. All the rest is saved

Alessandro
Olympic Gold
Custom Rank: TBL Rosters Man
Favourite Team: Team Russia
WHL Team: Calgary Flames

Post by Alessandro » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:06 am

If you change two or three values in the same subset, and save 100 times lol, it will eventually save. But not at the first try

Hockeyiow86
Junior League
Favourite Team: Wightlink Raiders

Post by Hockeyiow86 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:45 pm

I found that when changing numerical values in the editor. To keep the values you change u sometimes have to change something else for example changing the comp from league to cup and then back from cup to league. This keeps your changes to the number of teams ect

archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Post by archibalduk » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:04 pm

Alessandro wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:23 am
I'm having a fast look to create a 29-team KHL. The problem is that when I go to stages, it won't save if I change the number of teams there :-? It's set at 12 and 13 for the two conferences, I put 14 and 15, punch save, yet it reverts back to 12 and 13. All the rest is saved
Yes I know what you mean. xECK29x reported the same thing recently and I have fixed it for the upcoming release (which I am hoping to release this month). In the meantime, the solution is use the Tab key or to press Enter after entering the final value before saving or navigating to another record (i.e. as Hockeyiow86 suggests). :thup:

xECK29x
Fourth Line

Post by xECK29x » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:25 pm

archibalduk wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:04 pm
Yes I know what you mean. xECK29x reported the same thing recently and I have fixed it for the upcoming release (which I am hoping to release this month). In the meantime, the solution is use the Tab key or to press Enter after entering the final value before saving or navigating to another record (i.e. as Hockeyiow86 suggests). :thup:
Even when it's fixed I am so programmed to constantly hit tab :)

BKarchitect
Second Line

Post by BKarchitect » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:10 pm

Archi - here's a request that may be unusual and I'm not sure if you think it can be done in the editor or not but...

When I build my rosters, the reputations of the players (home/current/world) have a correlation to the player's CA & PA. (I think Eck may do something similar). It's a pretty easy way to start the game with realistic depth charts and national teams because of that inherent relationship. It also frankly makes it simple to do reputations instead of nit-picking them. Now if I know a player is in the doghouse for their club team or national team despite their ability, I may tweak some of the reputations but that's on a very individual basis.

I'm wondering if there is a way to automate this process, much like the automated strength feature. Now, as I said, I use a combo of CA and PA to develop reputations. If a guy is a CA of 125 and potential of 140, he gets a lower "world" reputation than a guy that is CA of 125 and potential of 170 or -9 (although the same current/nation rep). So it may not be so straightforward or possible because the automation part would have to have input from two different attributes and be pretty much customizable for it to be worth anything to me.

I can do it already using spreadsheets and it's not that big a deal but bigger picture, the real reason I'm asking is more for saved games. It would be nice to be able to "re-balance" the reputations of all players in your save with the click of a button so that they are aligned with ability/talent. I get why the game engine does not do this, link ability and reputation - it seems more based on performance which makes some sense. But it is kind of weird to go into my save and have guy with CA of 135 with higher reps across the board than a guy with a CA of 160. It means the lower ability guy is constantly getting better chances because he's higher up the depth chart. So with a "re-balance" button you can reset the depth charts. I'm thinking like I'd do it at the beginning of each season so that each team starts of sensibly and then let the CPU evolve things until the next season.

And yeah, I can do that the same way with export/import as well and it works fine but wondering if some type of in-editor automation would be possible.

BKarchitect
Second Line

Post by BKarchitect » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:24 pm

Here is specifically the formula I use:

Calculate "Home" Reputation
= CA

Calculate "Current" Reputation
= CA

Calculate "World" Reputation
PA > 180 = CA
160 < PA < 170 = CA-10
120 < PA < 159 = CA-20
119 > PA = CA-30
PA = -10 = CA
PA = -9 = CA-10
PA = -8 = CA-20
PA = -7 = CA-20
PA = -6 or lower = CA-30

So a player "A" with CA = 110 and PA = 115 gets reputations of 110/110/80

A player/prospect "B" with CA = 110 and PA = -9 gets reputations of 110/110/100

Both players still have to work their way up depth charts based on their CA but player B starts with an increased world reputation because they are a blue chip prospect while player A is basically a minor league player. That's the concept with the way I do the reputations.

archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Post by archibalduk » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:13 pm

Yes this would be very simple to add and I will add it for the upcoming release. I think we'll need the ability to set them all en masse for the whole DB and for a chosen league along with having the option on each player's editing screen.

xECK29x - What calculation do you use? There's no reason why I couldn't add your formula, BK's formula and Manimal's/TBL's formula to the Editor - and then you can choose which formula to use from the Editor settings.

IIRC the one used for the TBL Rosters is as follows (albeit this was for EHM 2007 and I'm not sure it was ever adjusted for EHM 1):

Home rep = CA
Current rep = CA - 5 (or, the player is playing in a league located in his birth nation, then it is equal to his CA)
World rep = CA - 20 (or CA * 0.75)

BKarchitect
Second Line

Post by BKarchitect » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:58 pm

Archi - that sounds stellar, thanks - if you pre-built in like the three different formulas for each of the three roster sets, that would be sweet and I'm sure we'd all appreciate it very much!

BKarchitect
Second Line

Post by BKarchitect » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:02 pm

Hey archi - I just remembered that in a saved game, the reputations have a multiplier and I think are based on like 10,000 or something, do you see the ability to do this kind of auto calc in a saved game as well as pre-game?

archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Post by archibalduk » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:08 pm

Yeah that's not a problem. :thup:

xECK29x
Fourth Line

Post by xECK29x » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:03 pm

archibalduk wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:13 pm
Home rep = CA
Current rep = CA - 5 (or, the player is playing in a league located in his birth nation, then it is equal to his CA)
I agree with this formula, however I do things a bit differently.

I match home and current rep in my DB, so no-one appears over/under rated at the start. For players playing in major leagues or have international GP experience I do World Rep -20, for players who are playing in lower level leagues or juniors with no international GP experience, or were never a draft pick by an NHL team I do -30 for world rep as these players are likely to be much more unknown on other sides of the world or even in other countries.
Last edited by xECK29x on Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Post by archibalduk » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:22 am

I have moved xECK29x's query about crashes to the Technical Support thread here: viewtopic.php?f=117&t=19930

Just a reminder that this thread is for queries relating to the Editor only (e.g. questions about how to use the Editor or suggestions/feedback, etc). Queries about database editing or game crashes should be kept separate because otherwise it is a struggle to find anything when somebody comes across the same issue or query.

archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Post by archibalduk » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:51 pm

xECK29x wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:03 pm

I match home and current rep in my DB, so no-one appears over/under rated at the start. For players playing in major leagues or have international GP experience I do World Rep -20, for players who are playing in lower level leagues or juniors with no international GP experience, or were never a draft pick by an NHL team I do -30 for world rep as these players are likely to be much more unknown on other sides of the world or even in other countries.
I should be able to add something like this.

On a different topic: What are the most important player and non-player attributes which everyone wishes they could filter by? So far, I have added CA, PA and Current/Home/World Reputation.

archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Post by archibalduk » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:23 am

BKarchitect and xECK29x - Do you use your reputation formulae to calculate reputations for non-players too? I will add the option to use the formulae for non-players too (it'll be an option rather than compulsory) - but let me know if you use a different formula.

BKarchitect
Second Line

Post by BKarchitect » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:17 am

Yeah I do the same for non players just to keep things easy.

xECK29x
Fourth Line

Post by xECK29x » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:01 pm

Yep, same here

archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Post by archibalduk » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:15 pm

xECK29x wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:03 pm
archibalduk wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:13 pm
Home rep = CA

What range of Competition Reputations would you consider to be a major league. Anything above 10?

What about players drafted in a CHL draft but not an NHL draft? Would you go with World Rep - 20 or World Rep - 30?

What is the minimum World Rep you would expect a player to have? E.g. if a player has a CA of 30 or less then this will be zero or lower. So we'll need a default setting for those players.

archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Post by archibalduk » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:26 pm

BKarchitect wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:24 pm
Calculate "World" Reputation
PA > 180 = CA
160 < PA < 170 = CA-10
120 < PA < 159 = CA-20
119 > PA = CA-30
PA = -10 = CA
PA = -9 = CA-10
PA = -8 = CA-20
PA = -7 = CA-20
PA = -6 or lower = CA-30
I am not entirely sure I have understood the entirety of your table above and so it is worth you taking a look at the below screenshot in case I have missed anything (see line numbers 96-110 below). E.g. I wasn't sure what rating a player with a PA of 170-180 would get (is is CA-10?).

The code below basically says, if PA is greater than or equal to 180 then World = CA, if PA is greater than or equal to 170 (but less than 180) then World = CA-10, etc.

BKarchitect
Second Line

Post by BKarchitect » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:24 pm

Oops, I mis-typed, it would be 160-180, world = CA -10.

Return to “Data Editing Forum”