Career mode discussions

This is the place to discuss all aspects of Franchise Hockey Manager by OOTP Developments.
Sebastian Palkowski
OOTP Developments
Custom Rank: FHM Developer

Career mode discussions

Post by Sebastian Palkowski » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:17 pm

In anticipation of the FHM 3 release I want to start a discussion on this topic. As I wrote in the past weeks this is the mode we put our main focus on in the future. With the release of FHM 3 we tried to start the process as good as possible. Of course it is only the start of a long road ahead of us, so we are very interested in feedback, ideas, criticism and what else might help us to further polish this mode in FHM 3 via updates and in later versions of course. As a general idea on what we try to accomplish, it should be no surprise that FM is a big inspiration source (IMO no other game captures the essence of career player better then FM does it for many years now) for us. Anyways, I just want to use this thread for a lively discussion on this topic, so we can make the best out of this mode over time.

Asiriath
Junior League
Favourite Team: Calgary Flames

Re: Career mode discussions

Post by Asiriath » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:21 am

I noticed while playing PtG i was hired by the Ottawa 67's and went to their depth charts and had a player from the QMJHL on my OHL teams rights list. Im not positive but i dont think 2 CHL teams can own the rights for the same player can they? I am also confused on the ratings. Ratings are based on 1-5 stars, as is potential. Why are guys like Max Jones (London Knights) and Andrew Mangiapane (Barrie Colts) already 5 star ability with 5 star potential? Does it depend on which league there in? It seems like any CHL player with even the slightest upside is a 5 star potential player.

Sebastian Palkowski
OOTP Developments

Post by Sebastian Palkowski » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:23 pm

Asiriath wrote:I noticed while playing PtG i was hired by the Ottawa 67's and went to their depth charts and had a player from the QMJHL on my OHL teams rights list. Im not positive but i dont think 2 CHL teams can own the rights for the same player can they? I am also confused on the ratings. Ratings are based on 1-5 stars, as is potential. Why are guys like Max Jones (London Knights) and Andrew Mangiapane (Barrie Colts) already 5 star ability with 5 star potential? Does it depend on which league there in? It seems like any CHL player with even the slightest upside is a 5 star potential player.
What player has rights in two different CHL leagues? I want to check him out, maybe it is a db issue.

Regarding the ability/potential stars: they are relevant to the league you coach in. If you take over a NHL team, the same players would look differently. In addition, scouting plays a role.

Asiriath
Junior League

Post by Asiriath » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:22 pm

Sebastian Palkowski wrote:
Asiriath wrote:I noticed while playing PtG i was hired by the Ottawa 67's and went to their depth charts and had a player from the QMJHL on my OHL teams rights list. Im not positive but i dont think 2 CHL teams can own the rights for the same player can they? I am also confused on the ratings. Ratings are based on 1-5 stars, as is potential. Why are guys like Max Jones (London Knights) and Andrew Mangiapane (Barrie Colts) already 5 star ability with 5 star potential? Does it depend on which league there in? It seems like any CHL player with even the slightest upside is a 5 star potential player.
What player has rights in two different CHL leagues? I want to check him out, maybe it is a db issue.

Regarding the ability/potential stars: they are relevant to the league you coach in. If you take over a NHL team, the same players would look differently. In addition, scouting plays a role.
I released his rights so im not sure of the name but he was on my Ottawa 67's roster aswell as Charlottetown Islanders roster.
Thank you very much for clarifying that, i was very confused as to why 17 year olds had the same ability rating as top line guys in the NHL.

While im here i also noticed OHL/WHL/QMJHL teams seem to not be showing historic goalie stats, i can see the stats of all skaters but no previous goaltenders. Not sure if thats on purpose or a bug.

Asiriath
Junior League

Post by Asiriath » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:39 pm

Also, im in January of my first season with Ottawa and i have my news subscriptions set to only show me OHL news but i keep getting emails warning me about the VHLs (Vysshaya Hokkeinaya Liga) upcoming trade deadline. i've made sure the VHL isnt selected in any way on my news subscriptions so it seems like a bug to me. :dunno:

Sebastian Palkowski
OOTP Developments

Post by Sebastian Palkowski » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:45 pm

Asiriath wrote:Also, im in January of my first season with Ottawa and i have my news subscriptions set to only show me OHL news but i keep getting emails warning me about the VHLs (Vysshaya Hokkeinaya Liga) upcoming trade deadline. i've made sure the VHL isnt selected in any way on my news subscriptions so it seems like a bug to me. :dunno:
It is (or better was ;)).

Asiriath
Junior League

Post by Asiriath » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:03 pm

One more thing (for now).. Injuries.. At this rate there's going to be no good players in the OHL for my next season. My team alone has 5 guys out for 6+ months right now. Seems every week somebody is getting injured for 6 or more months which is quite unrealistic. I only have OHL injuries report turned on so im not sure how the NHL is going in terms of injury but i did take a look at my Flames to see how they were doing and noriced Sean Monahan missed 75% of the season, Gaudreau missed 29 games (hes never been injured playing hockey IRL), Sam Bennett only played 24 games due to injury.. just seems like anybody that plays decently high minutes gets injured. In my first season with Ottawa my top forward and top defenseman both got knocked out for 6 and 7 months respectfully... something for you guys to look into anyways. Thanks for listening, im sure ill be back with more the farther i get into this.

*EDIT: The same top forward i lost last season for 6 months just went down for another 4 in the pre-season, in the same game one of my prospects went down for 6 months as well.

Sebastian Palkowski
OOTP Developments

Post by Sebastian Palkowski » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:46 am

Asiriath wrote:One more thing (for now).. Injuries.. At this rate there's going to be no good players in the OHL for my next season. My team alone has 5 guys out for 6+ months right now. Seems every week somebody is getting injured for 6 or more months which is quite unrealistic. I only have OHL injuries report turned on so im not sure how the NHL is going in terms of injury but i did take a look at my Flames to see how they were doing and noriced Sean Monahan missed 75% of the season, Gaudreau missed 29 games (hes never been injured playing hockey IRL), Sam Bennett only played 24 games due to injury.. just seems like anybody that plays decently high minutes gets injured. In my first season with Ottawa my top forward and top defenseman both got knocked out for 6 and 7 months respectfully... something for you guys to look into anyways. Thanks for listening, im sure ill be back with more the farther i get into this.

*EDIT: The same top forward i lost last season for 6 months just went down for another 4 in the pre-season, in the same game one of my prospects went down for 6 months as well.
The injury problem is known. We re-did the injury system for FHM 3 and overshoot in the end. ;) The next build (hopefully for the weekend) will already have it tweaked and we will use the next week for further tweaking on this topic.

Return to “Franchise Hockey Manager”