Franchise Hockey Manager 4 announced

This is the place to discuss all aspects of Franchise Hockey Manager by OOTP Developments.
User avatar
Alessandro
Olympic Gold
Posts: 2865
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:54 pm
Custom Rank: TBL Rosters Man
Favourite Team: Team Russia
WHL Team: Calgary Flames

Franchise Hockey Manager 4 announced

Post by Alessandro » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:07 pm

To be released next Oct. 6, you can preorder now with a 10% discount.
Seems to be a jump similar from FHM 2 to FHM 3, not too many major news, but some interesting new stuff and improvements of the core mechanism.
While I don't like historical play, the new historical challenges look cool (like try and repeat the 1950 canadiens dinasty, etc., there's 30 challenges, one for NHL team except Vegas of course).
I wrote a little round-up here: http://www.sportsgamersonline.com/franc ... manager-4/

BKarchitect
Second Line
Posts: 612
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:21 pm

Re: Franchise Hockey Manager 4 announced

Post by BKarchitect » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:24 pm

Yeah, definitely waiting on reviews...FHM has always looked glossier and more "modern" but I've never found it as playable - and that's with EHM still having a bunch of flaws.

The preview said improved stat and historical tracking which IMO, is one of the continuing sore spots of EHM...I desparately wish EHM had better historical stat tracking. So you could go back and look at statistical league and team screens from past seasons. And visualizations/graphs of statistical data. And graphical player and team "Trophy cabinets". Stuff like that.

That would be my #1 wishlist item for EHM, even over a more modern interface or improvements to the game engine. Things that make you feel immersed in a career/dynasty over the years and things that make it easier to track progress.

MWE
Challenge Moderator
Posts: 1533
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:43 pm
Custom Rank: #1 Tom Sestito Fan
Favourite Team: Sheffield Steelers
Location: Worksop, UK

Re: Franchise Hockey Manager 4 announced

Post by MWE » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:32 pm

Is the British Challenge Cup playable now? also the CHL?

User avatar
dani9
Drafted
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:48 pm
Custom Rank: King of logos
Favourite Team: Detroit Red Wings
Location: Bratislava, Slovakia

Re: Franchise Hockey Manager 4 announced

Post by dani9 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:53 pm

BKarchitect wrote:Yeah, definitely waiting on reviews...FHM has always looked glossier and more "modern" but I've never found it as playable - and that's with EHM still having a bunch of flaws.
This. And of course there is no option to have different styles of logos for different sizes :-D

SkierP20
Prospect
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:07 pm

Re: Franchise Hockey Manager 4 announced

Post by SkierP20 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:30 am

Yeah, definitely waiting on reviews..
Yup.. Bought FHM... Skipped FHM 2 because FHM was so bad.. Got my money back for FHM 3. My biggest reason for passing is that the lead dev cant seem to get through a release of each game without accosting someone who writes a negative review of his game. Not very becoming for a fantastic franchise like OOTP. Then there's player development...

Looks like the farm system management is not improved. Your AHL coaches will play players as they see fit with no way for you, as the GM, who drafted that guy, to have any sort of influence over how your franchise's minor league affiliates develop their players.

HUGE oversight.

Andrew K.
Learning to skate
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:16 pm
Custom Rank: OOTP Developments
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Jets

Re: Franchise Hockey Manager 4 announced

Post by Andrew K. » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:04 pm

Waiting for reviews is great. Discounts on pre-orders are usually worth it. Lots of great features in FHM 4 this year though.

https://www.ootpdevelopments.com/franch ... ager-home/

But a quick rundown of new stuff!


Be Vegas and re-do the expansion draft!

Completely customize your hockey universe!

New Historical Challenges!

and an additional Challenge Mode!


In addition to being the only PC Hockey Sim OFFICIALLY LICENSED BY THE NHL®! Which means current and historical rosters available for the entire history of the NHL®.

So while its a great idea to be a smart consumer and wait for a review or 3, get hyped about this game and look to pre-order for a discount.

Sebastian Palkowski
OOTP Developments
Posts: 160
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:44 pm
Custom Rank: FHM Developer

Re: Franchise Hockey Manager 4 announced

Post by Sebastian Palkowski » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:15 pm

MWE wrote:Is the British Challenge Cup playable now? also the CHL?
Yes to the CHL (the new structure from this year) and a no to the British Challenge Cup. The later was very close to be added so I see a good chance that it will be added in one of the following updates after release. :)

Sebastian Palkowski
OOTP Developments
Posts: 160
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:44 pm
Custom Rank: FHM Developer

Re: Franchise Hockey Manager 4 announced

Post by Sebastian Palkowski » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:26 pm

SkierP20 wrote:
Yeah, definitely waiting on reviews..
Yup.. Bought FHM... Skipped FHM 2 because FHM was so bad.. Got my money back for FHM 3. My biggest reason for passing is that the lead dev cant seem to get through a release of each game without accosting someone who writes a negative review of his game. Not very becoming for a fantastic franchise like OOTP. Then there's player development...
Totally agree with you on all points! It is something I worked hard on in the last few months (to impulsive sometimes) and being a father now helped me a lot to get much more relaxed. In the end people want the same as I, they want a good game, and I need to listen and make sure we add/fix/tweak/change the stuff people don´t like. I can´t change the past but I can at least make sure to not fall back into the same old patterns. :oops:
SkierP20 wrote:Looks like the farm system management is not improved. Your AHL coaches will play players as they see fit with no way for you, as the GM, who drafted that guy, to have any sort of influence over how your franchise's minor league affiliates develop their players.

HUGE oversight.
It is improved somehow, now you can at least give your farm team HC instructions on his usage priorities (e.g. use prospects, veterans, ...). Believe me, it is something I would love to further improve and I hope it will in the future.

User avatar
nino33
Mr. Goalie
Posts: 5998
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:37 am
Custom Rank: Retro Rosters Specialist
Favourite Team: 1970s hockey

Re: Franchise Hockey Manager 4 announced

Post by nino33 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:50 pm

Andrew K. wrote:Waiting for reviews is great. Discounts on pre-orders are usually worth it. Lots of great features in FHM 4 this year though.

https://www.ootpdevelopments.com/franch ... ager-home/

But a quick rundown of new stuff!


Be Vegas and re-do the expansion draft!

Completely customize your hockey universe!

New Historical Challenges!

and an additional Challenge Mode!


In addition to being the only PC Hockey Sim OFFICIALLY LICENSED BY THE NHL®! Which means current and historical rosters available for the entire history of the NHL®.

So while its a great idea to be a smart consumer and wait for a review or 3, get hyped about this game and look to pre-order for a discount.
For me a very strong no thanks to "get hyped"

I can't stand the hype/PR approach, and everything about it that FHM did in the first couple versions just validated all of the negativity I feel about hype/PR

The fanboys seemed to stop posting when version 3 came out - I've always supported the idea of "let the (quality of) the game sell itself" and I hope they build on the version 3 style and don't return to the hype/PR/fanboy approaches of versions 1 and 2



Your post doesn't do much for me either to be honest...the "official rosters" don't mean much if anything that I can tell, I've no interest in "challenges" and the ability to "completely customize" is IMO simply not true (it's far, far less than you can do with EHM); what you can do is "easier" with OOTP but I've never been interested in fake/fantasy teams and the unrealistically small hockey world is a problem I can't get past - I need dozens of countries and many dozens of pro leagues and international play and many thousands of players...I need a "world" to immerse myself in)



I've no interest in the modern game, and while I love all things historical the "NHL/WHA only" historical hockey world of OOTP has no interest to me

I bought FHM1 and FHM2 and FHM3 to support development....but at almost $50 Canadian and no chance I'll play it (and development seemingly secure, given they have a multi-person development team plus $ for the NHL Licence, and and even a Hockey Community Manager) I think I'll be passing on buying right away this year



That's just my view...as the saying goes "your mileage may differ"

User avatar
nino33
Mr. Goalie
Posts: 5998
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:37 am
Custom Rank: Retro Rosters Specialist
Favourite Team: 1970s hockey

Re: Franchise Hockey Manager 4 announced

Post by nino33 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:59 pm

Sebastian Palkowski wrote: being a father now
That's fantastic news! Congratulations! 8-) My daughters (27 and 29 now) are the great joy of my life :-)


Sebastian Palkowski wrote:In the end people want the same as I, they want a good game, and I need to listen and make sure we add/fix/tweak/change the stuff people don´t like. I can´t change the past but I can at least make sure to not fall back into the same old patterns. :oops:
As I've said previously publicly and in PMs I most definitely recognize and respect you and your efforts (even on those occasions when we don't agree HaHa)

Your honesty and efforts over the recent years are something I really admire Sebastian (and you've almost always "taken the high road" for awhile now IMO)



Best wishes to you with FHM4 :thup:

User avatar
archibalduk
TBL Admin Team
Posts: 19487
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:44 pm
Custom Rank: Seaside + Fruit Juice Mode
Favourite Team: Guildford (EPL) / Invicta (NIHL)
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Franchise Hockey Manager 4 announced

Post by archibalduk » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:27 pm

Andrew K. wrote:In addition to being the only PC Hockey Sim OFFICIALLY LICENSED BY THE NHL®! Which means current and historical rosters available for the entire history of the NHL®.

So while its a great idea to be a smart consumer and wait for a review or 3, get hyped about this game and look to pre-order for a discount.
I have supported FHM for many years either by researching the UK leagues (I stood down a couple of years ago now) and testing (admittedly I have done relatively little this time around because my work commitments have limited my free time - but at least the various UK changes have been implemented following my feedback). I really want FHM to succeed and I think if you compare FHM 3 and 4 against FHM 1 there is such a massive improvement. I still struggle to find the game particularly immersive, but it really does improve with every release. I really like the dev team too - they listen to feedback and really want to please their customers (compare that with EA Sports for instance).

Notwithstanding the above, what I've quoted above is exactly what I hate about PR for some games. I far prefer honest advertising rather than the studio telling everyone to get hyped. Granted advertising has to concentrate on the positives, but the above is too much for me at least. Just tell us like it is rather than telling people to throw money at you. :\ And this is why IMO it is far better to wait for reviews when an advertising campaign tells people to get hyped.

I still don't really understand why the NHL licence is such a big selling point (judging by the capitalised text). The real NHL teams, leagues and player names were used even before the licence was obtained - and all other team/league/player are names are used for other leagues in the absence of any other licence. :-?

zbguy
Top Prospect
Posts: 117
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:01 pm

Re: Franchise Hockey Manager 4 announced

Post by zbguy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:54 am

I'm gonna buy it mainly to support it, FHM3 miles ahead of where it was in the first two iterations in terms of playability. But the one thing OOTP-type games have that I think sets them apart is the customization options, and FHM4 isn't quite on OOTP's level yet. The ability to create your own baseball universe in OOTP is the main selling point for me and it looks like they finally have all the pieces they need to replicate that level of customization in FHM, but this wasn't the year to put them all together. So I'm hopeful FHM5 will be the first game of the series that truly feels like an OOTP-style game.

Sebastian Palkowski
OOTP Developments
Posts: 160
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:44 pm
Custom Rank: FHM Developer

Re: Franchise Hockey Manager 4 announced

Post by Sebastian Palkowski » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:52 am

nino33 wrote:
Sebastian Palkowski wrote: being a father now
That's fantastic news! Congratulations! 8-) My daughters (27 and 29 now) are the great joy of my life :-)
Very nice. My adventure just began but the first 6 weeks are the greatest weeks of my life so far. :) Two girls sound like a lot of fun around the house. :)
nino33 wrote:Your honesty and efforts over the recent years are something I really admire Sebastian (and you've almost always "taken the high road" for awhile now IMO)

Best wishes to you with FHM4 :thup:
Thanks, I really appreciate your words as I worked hard on me in the past. And also thanks for the good wishes, we put a lot of work into FHM 4.

User avatar
Filip Croatia
Minor League
Posts: 258
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:55 pm
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: Franchise Hockey Manager 4 announced

Post by Filip Croatia » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:37 am

Alessandro wrote:To be released next Oct. 6, you can preorder now with a 10% discount.
Seems to be a jump similar from FHM 2 to FHM 3, not too many major news, but some interesting new stuff and improvements of the core mechanism.
While I don't like historical play, the new historical challenges look cool (like try and repeat the 1950 canadiens dinasty, etc., there's 30 challenges, one for NHL team except Vegas of course).
I wrote a little round-up here: http://www.sportsgamersonline.com/franc ... manager-4/
Holy Adam Oates ! I didnt know you are writing about other sports games as well :) :thup:

I can't wait for FHM 4, game took giant steps from 1 to 2 then to 3.

ADMIN NOTE: Please do not bypass the swear filter.

MWE
Challenge Moderator
Posts: 1533
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:43 pm
Custom Rank: #1 Tom Sestito Fan
Favourite Team: Sheffield Steelers
Location: Worksop, UK

Re: Franchise Hockey Manager 4 announced

Post by MWE » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:49 am

Sebastian Palkowski wrote:
MWE wrote:Is the British Challenge Cup playable now? also the CHL?
Yes to the CHL (the new structure from this year) and a no to the British Challenge Cup. The later was very close to be added so I see a good chance that it will be added in one of the following updates after release. :)
Also will the EIHL be with the new 12 team league rather than seasons 10?

Sebastian Palkowski
OOTP Developments
Posts: 160
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:44 pm
Custom Rank: FHM Developer

Re: Franchise Hockey Manager 4 announced

Post by Sebastian Palkowski » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:08 am

MWE wrote:
Sebastian Palkowski wrote:
MWE wrote:Is the British Challenge Cup playable now? also the CHL?
Yes to the CHL (the new structure from this year) and a no to the British Challenge Cup. The later was very close to be added so I see a good chance that it will be added in one of the following updates after release. :)
Also will the EIHL be with the new 12 team league rather than seasons 10?
Yes, it will be with 12 teams.

Epic
Prospect
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 2:28 am

Re: Franchise Hockey Manager 4 announced

Post by Epic » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:19 pm

When you have player wearing #9 and you add another player with the same number, he'll automatically get #99. How can you put out a hockey game like that? It might be fixed in the new edition, but with so many flaws in the previous versions not been paid any attention, then I'm not getting my hopes up. FHM is basically an expensive, flawed product.

User avatar
nino33
Mr. Goalie
Posts: 5998
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:37 am
Custom Rank: Retro Rosters Specialist
Favourite Team: 1970s hockey

Re: Franchise Hockey Manager 4 announced

Post by nino33 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:00 pm

I haven't read it yet, but just noted an FHM4 Change List posted by JeffR that I thought was worth sharing for those who might be interested http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/s ... p?t=281549


EDIT - when I think of "change list" I think of new features/improvements from the previous version...the linked list is a lot more (things like noting bug fixes on new features make the list much bigger than it is based on the definition I mentioned)

MWE
Challenge Moderator
Posts: 1533
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:43 pm
Custom Rank: #1 Tom Sestito Fan
Favourite Team: Sheffield Steelers
Location: Worksop, UK

Re: Franchise Hockey Manager 4 announced

Post by MWE » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:23 pm

I wanted to ask a question about historical play

Say if I wanted to be the Nordiques would I be able to be them from inception all the way to current day and beyond or will they cease to exist when they did in real life?

Sebastian Palkowski
OOTP Developments
Posts: 160
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:44 pm
Custom Rank: FHM Developer

Re: Franchise Hockey Manager 4 announced

Post by Sebastian Palkowski » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:51 pm

MWE wrote:I wanted to ask a question about historical play

Say if I wanted to be the Nordiques would I be able to be them from inception all the way to current day and beyond or will they cease to exist when they did in real life?
The Quebec Nordiques became the Colorado Avalanche in 1995 and the same happens in FHM (so you continue to play the franchise up to 2017 and beyond).

MWE
Challenge Moderator
Posts: 1533
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:43 pm
Custom Rank: #1 Tom Sestito Fan
Favourite Team: Sheffield Steelers
Location: Worksop, UK

Re: Franchise Hockey Manager 4 announced

Post by MWE » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:53 pm

So the Nordiques then turn into the Avalanche in 95?

Sebastian Palkowski
OOTP Developments
Posts: 160
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:44 pm
Custom Rank: FHM Developer

Re: Franchise Hockey Manager 4 announced

Post by Sebastian Palkowski » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:24 pm

MWE wrote:So the Nordiques then turn into the Avalanche in 95?
That is right, it is basically the same franchise that moves to a different city but keeps all records and stuff.

celislanders1
Prospect
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:32 pm

Re: Franchise Hockey Manager 4 announced

Post by celislanders1 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:27 am

Anyone got it yet and played better than previous versions ??

maxrsp
Junior League
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:27 pm
Location: Halifax, NS, Canada

Re: Franchise Hockey Manager 4 announced

Post by maxrsp » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:03 pm

Hi All, I've bought this year's FHM4 for the first time so I can't comment on it relative to previous versions but here is my two cents as a long time (10+ years) EHM player:

I appreciate the more modern and often more intuitive interface as well as it being officially licensed by the NHL which saves a bit of work if you're playing NHL rosters. The Vegas expansion draft is also a really cool feature. Having the integrated ability to edit (via Commissioner mode) is great. I've not yet had it long enough to play the Challenge mode but it also seems interesting. In terms of the game sim itself - my initial impression (only 2 days in) is that it is a bit lower scoring but the jury is out on that until I have a couple seasons worth of game results to compare.

On the downside there are a couple things which I think are glaring problems (or I'm too stupid to figure them out):

1. Having line tactics hard set is getting on my nerves - who are they to say my third line cant be offensively minded and has to play a 2-way game?!?! There is a great player role system but then they take away my freedom to use players how I want tactically :rant:

2. No player comparison screen - really???

Overall I'm glad I bought the game and I'm more than happy to support Hockey sims so the developers will stay with us. It's good fun, a nice change, and I can see myself playing it quite a bit more just to be sure I have a good grasp on all its mechanics.

That said, it seems to me that a fully modded EHM game (rosters, logos, facepacks, etc) remains not only functionally viable but a more cost-effective alternative since OOTP insists on the console-like approach of releasing a full price revision every year.

Review over - tangential rant ahead...

Dear OOTP, I wanted to assist you in generating a higher market share (and therefore profit) by introducing a concept alarmingly foreign in today's business world - customer focus vs sales focus. By releasing a full price version of the game every year you may think you're driving more profit but in fact you are lowering your overall sales volumes as players like myself will simply skip versions that we don't feel bring enough value or innovation. This pattern has in-fact been proven on EA Sports games like their own NHL and Madden NFL franchises. If you instead moved to an approach where each new version is discounted 40-50% if you own the previous version then you will find your overall revenue would net about the same but you would have a consistently higher active installed base because players would be far less likely to skip versions. This would lead to a more engaged and committed fan base which I'm sure you understand the value of.

When you focus on the customer the sales take care of themselves. I'm pretty sure they used to teach that in business school...

User avatar
Buho
Junior League
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:47 pm
Favourite Team: NYR

Re: Franchise Hockey Manager 4 announced

Post by Buho » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:54 pm

to maxrsp
totally true
there was almost no difference between FHM2 and 3 (apart from that weird "tactical system" which I didn't like at all). so this year I read press release, flipped through a bunch of screenshots and decided I won't buy FHM4 (and most probably 5)

Post Reply

Return to “Franchise Hockey Manager”