Project NHL 36 - a 2018-19 DB with 36 Team NHL/AHL/ECHL!

Want to ask EHM graphics questions, questions about a project or make requests for a project? Don't know what files go where? Are you working on a new addon or roster update? This is the place to discuss!
Forum rules
Data Editing Forum: Editing the game, databases or saved games. Home of the EHM Editor and the EHM Assistant.

Game Add-ons Forum: Database projects, graphics and sounds. Any discussion which does not relate to editing databases or saved games.

Game Knowledge Discussion: Attributes, coaching, drafting, scouting, tactics and training/practice.

TBL Rosters: Discussion, crashes, data issues, questions, etc relating to the TBL Rosters update for Eastside Hockey Manager.

Technical Support: Difficulties, crashes and errors when installing or running the game (and nothing else). Any issues relating to the TBL Rosters must be posted in the TBL Rosters forum. Questions about how to install add-ons must be posted in the Game Add-ons Forum.

General EHM Chat: Anything relating to Eastside Hockey Manager 2004 / 2005 / 2007 / 1 which does not fall within any of the other forums.

Please carry out a forum search before you start a new thread.

Useful Links: Find your EHM 1 installation folder locationConverting an EHM 2007 database into EHM 1Logo sizesWhere to install add-onsTBL Rosters Crash Thread
Stormsky
Junior League
Favourite Team: Vancouver Canucks

Re: Project NHL 36 - a 2017-18 DB with 36 Team NHL/AHL/ECHL!

Post by Stormsky » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:26 pm

Awesome job BKarchitect! I love being able to take the Seattle team and play with them in the NHL!

Quick question: there is no easy way to have the latest fixes with a start-of-season roster, right? Ideally I'd like to be able to start with rosters as they were at the beginning of the 17-18 season, but with all of the adjustments you have made to the players and the fix to the training camp that you made since v 1.0. In case I am wrong and there is a way to do this, let me know!

BKarchitect
Checking Line

Post by BKarchitect » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:30 pm

Sorry Stormsky - other than manually editing, I'm afraid not. You'd either have to make a thousand manual transaction to the latest NHL36 database or edit all the league structures and team in the TBL database (since those are start of season) to produce what you are talking about. Either way - that's a monumental amount of work.

stone169
Checking Line
Favourite Team: Ottawa Senators

Post by stone169 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:41 pm

Does anyone else get errors when trying to import the expansion file?

When I look at the error log it tells me that there is "No match" for Staff, Club Contracted, and Club Playing For for all entries.

I'm currently doing it manually, but I'm not quite sure what the error means or why I'm getting it.

BKarchitect
Checking Line

Post by BKarchitect » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:49 pm

stone169 wrote:Does anyone else get errors when trying to import the expansion file?

When I look at the error log it tells me that there is "No match" for Staff, Club Contracted, and Club Playing For for all entries.

I'm currently doing it manually, but I'm not quite sure what the error means or why I'm getting it.
Which database are you trying to use? Are you using the latest 2.1 set? Could be I've made an error somewhere. Let me know.

Great Imp
Junior League
Favourite Team: Toronto

Post by Great Imp » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:16 pm

For what it's worth, I am not getting any import errors.
By the way, thanks BK...I just love the 2.1 set. I just need to stop to press on Jere Lehtinen's profile all the time (as you said crashes the game:) )

archibalduk
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Seaside + Fruit Juice Mode
Favourite Team: Guildford (EPL) / Invicta (NIHL)

Post by archibalduk » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:31 pm

BKarchitect wrote:Because I did something stupid and in order to clear some clutter from some unused teams I just named a bunch of teams "Unused" (this got me into my pickle with the training camp teams). So in order to find the correct ones to revert back, I had to do a manual search in the editor for the proper ID for the teams I had messed up. If 10 teams are all named exactly the same, how does the importer know which one to change?

Again - this is totally my issue alone, of my own creation but there we are :**
OK I see what you mean. Let me have a think. I'm minded to extend the EHM 2005 to 2007 converter to allow for renaming of clubs based on club IDs. All the converter does is change IDs, etc. and so it could actually be used to rename clubs by ID in an EHM 1 database. I think this might be the better approach because the amount of work which would go into modifying the clubs Importer spreadsheet would probably be disproportionate to what, as you say, is a very niche/rare requirement.

stone169
Checking Line
Favourite Team: Ottawa Senators

Post by stone169 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:56 pm

BKarchitect wrote:
stone169 wrote:Does anyone else get errors when trying to import the expansion file?

Which database are you trying to use? Are you using the latest 2.1 set? Could be I've made an error somewhere. Let me know.
It's with the latest version. Just the normal set. I'm just wondering if I'm just doing something wrong. I noticed Great Imp didn't have any issues.

By the way, thanks for all your work on this BK.

BKarchitect
Checking Line

Post by BKarchitect » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:06 am

Stone - hmm, yeah the only thing I can say stone is try to re-download the file and go back a few pages and make sure you are following the import steps for the expansion draft. I just tried it with each ZIP file and the associated import file works with each respective DB. Make sure you are using the correct expansion file for the correct DB, otherwise you definitely will get a bunch of errors.

---

So today's project was cleaning up the Asia League and the South Korean and Japanese national teams. The Asia League and those two national teams have been woefully out of date by about 10 years. I've gone through an entirely cleaned out each Asia League team and added top players on Asia League teams and the SK and Japan national teams. So they should now field teams accurate to what they had for the 2016-17 World Championships and their international play so far in 2017-18. The result also is that Asia League clubs are not fully stocked but are accurate for what they have and not full of twenty 45 year-olds each. Right now Asia League is not playable because China Dragons are no longer there and since there are 8 teams this season, I'll have to re-do the schedule. South Korea's national team includes a bunch of nationalized Westerners who are among their top players and Japan now has a few very young, promising prospects including internet sensation Aito Iguchi (2021 draft).

For those that don't know - South Korea will actually be competing in the main World Championships in 2018 (top tier, alongside your typical ice hockey powers) so I wanted to represent them a bit better in terms of ability. They still don't really have anybody above ECHL/AHL caliber but they now have a team full of quick, industrious and team-oriented players along with their borrowed Westerners and they should at least be competitive with the likes of Austria, Kazakhstan, France, Great Britain, etc.

Japan is stuck down in D1B (third tier) but they have a nice tap of younger talent on the way, so again, I wanted to reflect this. It should eventually lead to them being able to rise up from where they are now in real life.

I'm going to run a sim for a while to see how these clean-ups and rating edits and additional players affect their national team performances and the appearance of CPU generated players from South Korea and Japan and how well they perform. I also need to make the Asia League playable again before uploading the actual update.

BKarchitect
Checking Line

Post by BKarchitect » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:20 am

HAPPY NEW YEAR! NEW VERSION NHL36 v2.2 (January 3, 2018)

It's been a couple weeks so I thought I'd release a new version of all NHL36 flavors. As usual, links on the bottom of the first post of the project page @ TBL:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=18491#p230353

- Big news this time around is complete and accurate updating of the IIHF divisions for the 2017/18 season for the World Championships (WC, D1A, D1B, D2A, D2B, D3) and the World Juniors (WJC and D1 - the game doesn't go beyond D1A). Read about how I got it to work and how it looks compared to real life here: viewtopic.php?f=150&t=18764#p232541

Bottom line...you'll know see the likes of Belarus and Denmark in the WJC and get to see South Korea in action in the World Championships main event, among other nice sights!

- Speaking of South Korea...I cleaned up and updated the national teams for all 16 teams in the main WC division. Now most of the major teams have already been covered in NHL and various major league updates but now the likes of SK, France, Norway, Belarus, etc should be fielding fairly accurate senior teams (using a mix of their 2016-17 WC rosters and results and players the nations have fielded in international events thus far in the 17-18 season). Also updated Great Britain and Japan along with the Asia League and the Elite Ice Hockey League structures although neither of those two leagues are fully tested as playable yet.

- The usual roster and contract updates for North American and major European leagues. Not a lot of NHL action (the Marchessault extension is in there) but lots of CHL moves and a bunch of KHL moves made in the past couple weeks.

- Some tweaks to younger players based on some of the WJC action we've seen...nothing major, don't want to over-hype a handful of games but some up-ticking of some prospects who have shown well for sure.

Enjoy!

Ukko
TBL Rosters Researcher
Favourite Team: Blackhawks, Sharks, Finns, EK65.

Post by Ukko » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:42 am

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

You're the best.

archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Post by archibalduk » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:23 pm

BKarchitect wrote:Also updated Great Britain and Japan along with the Asia League and the Elite Ice Hockey League structures although neither of those two leagues are fully tested as playable yet.
How successful were you with getting the EIHL league structures up and running? I have been able to get close, but haven't been able to get the correct intra-conference standings to work.

BKarchitect
Checking Line

Post by BKarchitect » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:57 pm

Oh its probably not very functional at this point - I just expanded the league to 12 and added Guildford and MK Lightning so that players on those teams would be on an EIHL reputation club/league for stats purposes. I probably over-sold it in my overview :**

Ukko
TBL Rosters Researcher

Post by Ukko » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:47 pm

Hey BK.

I have made minor changes in the db (colours for teams and expansion teams), and it keeps crashing when I go to free agent staff, after a short while (like 4 or 5 contracts asked)..

Too many colors causes a crash ? Or is this a general issue that isn't yet reported ?

edit : sometimes it crashes when clicking on the first name...

archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Post by archibalduk » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:39 pm

Ukko wrote:Hey BK.

I have made minor changes in the db (colours for teams and expansion teams), and it keeps crashing when I go to free agent staff, after a short while (like 4 or 5 contracts asked)..

Too many colors causes a crash ? Or is this a general issue that isn't yet reported ?

It is a bug caused by the Editor and is fixed for the next release (hopefully this month). It because the Preferred Tactic setting for newly created non-players defaults to -1. If you change this to zero then it'll fix the issue.

P.s. it turns out that this value is a Preferred Job setting and not a Preferred Tactic setting.

archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Post by archibalduk » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:31 pm

Hey BK - Just to let you know I have added your requests to the upcoming version of the Editor. I am hoping that I will have this released later this month (spare time allowing):
BKarchitect wrote:
archibalduk wrote:Ah I see. That's useful to know. :thup:

Regarding Team IDs - what is the idea behind using the IDs rather than matching against names?
Because I did something stupid and in order to clear some clutter from some unused teams I just named a bunch of teams "Unused" (this got me into my pickle with the training camp teams). So in order to find the correct ones to revert back, I had to do a manual search in the editor for the proper ID for the teams I had messed up. If 10 teams are all named exactly the same, how does the importer know which one to change?

Again - this is totally my issue alone, of my own creation but there we are :**
The EHM 2005 Converter will now do what you need. When the new version comes out, here is what you can do:

1. Go to the conversion_data sub-folder in the Editor installation folder;
2. Delete all of the .xlsx files except for club_edit_2005.xlsx;
3. Open the club_edit_2005.xlsx file in Excel/OpenOffice and delete its contents (other than the heading rows of course);
4. Enter the relevant Club IDs in the Club ID column (Column A) and the new names in the four New Long Name/Short Name/Nickname/Abbreviation columns (Columns H-K). Then save and close the file;
5. Open the Editor and load your database;
6. Click on Tools -> Converter -> EHM 2005 to EHM 2007;
7. All done!
BKarchitect wrote:Sounds cool archi!

Hey one more "kink" I've run into with my attempt to have one updatable database for NHL36 that can then be modified by users with import files...

If you go into my NHL36 thread, I've gotten these other teams setup so they can be added simply be doing a team import file. But there is still an issue because while the team division info is updated, it doesn't update the league structure to match. You have to do that manually or the game crashes. It only takes a few minutes per each "flavor" of the database to do but any chance the editor can ever "tie" the league structure info automatically to team division info or, that being impossible, being able to export/import detailed league structures as XLS files?

THanks!
I don't know if this is exactly what you're after, but hopefully it well help:

1. In the Editor, go to Rules & Structures -> NHL -> Structures so that you can see the list of clubs in the conferences/divisions;
2. Click on the Populate button below the table and click on "Populate all Conferences by Detailed Division". This will clear all of the lists (so no need to manually clear them) and will then re-populate them by detailed division.

BKarchitect
Checking Line

Post by BKarchitect » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:14 am

Thanks archi!

That import detailed division method is how I've been doing things. It's pretty painless.

Ukko
TBL Rosters Researcher

Post by Ukko » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:28 am

archibalduk wrote:
Ukko wrote:Hey BK.

It is a bug caused by the Editor and is fixed for the next release (hopefully this month). It because the Preferred Tactic setting for newly created non-players defaults to -1. If you change this to zero then it'll fix the issue.

P.s. it turns out that this value is a Preferred Job setting and not a Preferred Tactic setting.
Will try it out today, thanks ! :-D

Edit : where do I find this info/tab in the editor ? I can't seem to get it :-( (I'm not very used to work with the editor yet, but I decided to play with it more, learning phase it is)
Last edited by Ukko on Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

archibalduk
TBL Admin Team

Post by archibalduk » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:06 am

BKarchitect wrote:Thanks archi!

That import detailed division method is how I've been doing things. It's pretty painless.
The new "Populate all Conferences by Detailed Division" button should hopefully make it a little easier. It will populate all conferences and all divisions with correct clubs without the need for you to first clear the tables or select which detailed division to use. So it'll be a single click instead of something like 8 clicks.

Tonait
Junior League

Post by Tonait » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:34 pm

I tried every "Project NHL 36" versions and Every time the game crashes when I selected the leagues and settings...

Ukko
TBL Rosters Researcher

Post by Ukko » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:15 pm

How many leagues do you use at start ? If you take Canada + NHL/AHL/ECHL + Liiga + SHL + KHL, it works.

"Minor" euro leagues make things crash sometimes (as stated in the first post)

BKarchitect
Checking Line

Post by BKarchitect » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:59 pm

VERSION NHL36 v2.3 (January 11, 2018)

Post-CHL Trade Deadline Update. As usual, links on the bottom of the first post of the project page @ TBL:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=18491#p230353

- The biggest news with this update is that each NHL36 flavor now comes with a revised expansion draft file. I re-did the expansion draft with the same rules applied to the first time I did it (see earlier pages in the TBL thread) but with revised ratings and protections from current NHL teams due to what has transpired so far this year, so each expansion team now has a different roster, Tried to skew a little bit younger to fill depth spots as well. Again, you aren't going to start with a great team by any means if you apply the expansion draft file to your database - but it will at least give you a base roster so you don't have to start totally from scratch.

- Usual transaction and contract updates to major leagues. Biggest movement this time around was a lot of CHL action due to the CHL trade deadline. Also has the Duclair trade and Copp extension, among other items.

- A few contract type items I wanted to take the time to point out that have always been a part of the DB but deserve some explanation:

1) Future Euro transfers to the NHL. For some reason there is a bug in EHM where even when you have the rights to certain Euro players listed for NHL teams, those rights don't show up in the game. So rather than Vegas simply not having Nikita Gusev in the organizational depth or Chicago not having Maxim Shalunov - I simply have a few high-profile Euros like that automatically coming over to their respective NHL teams on entry-level deals when their KHL/Euro contracts end.

2) There are also a lot of built-in NCAA to NHL transfers...the reason for this is that a lot if not most top NCAA players will automatically be signed by computer NHL GM's at the start of the 17-18 season even though in real life, they are playing in the NCAA. Take Cale Makar on UMass (COL) or Jake Evans on Notre Dame (MTL) for example. I wanted to ensure they play their 17-18 season in college, both to add realism to the NCAA sim and to make future NHL rookie classes more accurate.

3) Also in the NCAA - transfers between D1 programs who are sitting out a transfer year are automatically placed on their new teams but are given a 12-month holiday and have their NCAA eligibility extended by a year...so they can't be selected in line-ups for 17-18 but will be eligible thereafter.

4) I have put several high-profile young European prospects who are currently under NHL contract but in the AHL on AHL contracts with a future transfer to their NHL teams for the remaining years of their contracts. This may seem odd at first but here me out. Guys like Timothy Liljegren, Filip Chytil, Janne Luokkonen, Klim Kostin, Alex Nylander - they are under NHL contract and some even had early season NHL auditions this year but it is very clear their respective NHL teams want them to develop the year in the AHL. This ensures the CPU GM's keep them in the AHL and ensure that they are eligible for their real rookie seasons (and Calder Trophy) as part of the 18-19 NHL rookie class. It also means they get picked by their national teams for the WJC U-20 tournament - whereas previously, the CPU GM's would often have them in the NHL playing 4th line minutes all year - exhausting their rookie eligibility and not releasing them for the WJC.

These are all attempts to "bend the rules" of EHM a bit in order to produce a more accurate sim.

Enjoy!

Ukko
TBL Rosters Researcher

Post by Ukko » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:54 pm

Is the staff recruitement issue still affecting the game ? I couldn't find my way through editor to change the error.. ](*,)

Jetstone
Junior League
Favourite Team: Toronto Maple Leafs

Post by Jetstone » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:00 pm

I'm having an issue with the 2.3 databases where it gives me an error "unable to find all the initial teams (National Hockey League)". Got an idea on how it can be fixed?

BKarchitect
Checking Line

Post by BKarchitect » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:42 pm

Jetstone wrote:I'm having an issue with the 2.3 databases where it gives me an error "unable to find all the initial teams (National Hockey League)". Got an idea on how it can be fixed?
Was it the Great North or Wild West set? I fixed an error that was in both of those, they should work now and the download link is updated.

Thanks!

Jetstone
Junior League
Favourite Team: Toronto Maple Leafs

Post by Jetstone » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:06 am

It was in both, thanks for the quick update!

Return to “Game Add-ons Forum”