Official 2013 NHL Regular Season Thread

Want to discuss any hockey related issues? Heard some interesting news? Watched a great game? Heard an interesting rumor or quote? Talk about it here! CONTAINS SPOILERS!
batdad
The Great One
Custom Rank: Mr Technology
Favourite Team: Syracuse Bulldogs.

Re: Official 2013 NHL Regular Season Thread

Post by batdad » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:41 pm

LOL. CeeBee...I dont have a hate on that much for the Canucks Just putting out there how the are perceived by the masses. Both back east, and in the States and by their closest rivals.

And I am sorry...I do not agree that other teams that are succesful are hated just as much. That is not true. The Canucks fans and team have built up more dislike than virtually any organization that has not won multiple Stanley Cups in a row. When the Red Wings were at the top...there was never alot of talk about their diving, whining and general smugness. With the Avalanche there was not that talk (With the exception of ROy, and Crawford)...When the Devils were on top the talk was about a boring team and system. When the Oil were on top...there was jealousy of Gretz, but everyone gave em the credit they deserved, except for 10 year old kids.

When the ISles were on top...they were feared and loved. When the Habs were on top...they were feared and loved. When the Flyers were on top..they were yelled at for being too mean and tough, not for being whiny cheapshotters who dove.

Quite honestly, I have never seen so much venom in my many many moons following this game, for one team...from other fans, media and other players and organizations.

Claude LEmieux was hated and feared, but it never translated to a hatred of the team he played for in the masses. Same for Roy, same for Gretzky. The hatred was ALL based on jealousy, or smugness for those INDIVIDUALS.

But now...with the internet and with the fan base out there yapping away, and making complete fools of themselves in general....the venom for a team THAT HAS NEVER WON A DANG THING....is ridiculous.

It is so funny to me that they are hated for so much, and by so many....for just the above reason. They have never won a DANG THING.

That being said....when I watch the Sedins dominate I love it. When I watch Kesler work his arse off I love it. Burrows SHOULD be a great story, but other than among Canuck faboyz he is not a big deal...even the most experienced hockey minds don't give him the benefit of the doubt.

Quite honestly..there has never been so much smugness and attitude among a team that is as talented as the Vancouver Canucks.

The Wings have always been viewed as CLASSY, in spite of having some very interesting types of players on their team. Sakic and his mates Classy in the same way. Some exceptions. The Vancouver Canucks and their fanbase? I am afraid not even close.

But do I hate em? No..just tired of the sillyness of the players en masse and the fanbase types who go on websites and write stuff like ....OMG WE JUST GOTZ US SOME REVENGE ON THE OILERZZZ....we rule!!****111 garbage. Revenge on the Oilers? LOL...we are 10 years PAST that being a big deal, and 2 YEARS away from it being a big deal again. it is a ridiculous comment.

philou21
The Great One
Custom Rank: 24 cups!!!
Favourite Team: Colorado Avalanche

Post by philou21 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:12 pm

Primis wrote:Jimmy Howard is about to sign a 6-year, $5.3m/yr contract with the Red Wings.

I'm shocked at some of the venom, coming from fans over it. Those claiming 6 years is "too long" seem to forget how the Wings develop goalies...
Howard is just another Osgood. Over-rated because the team in front of him plays really well.

CeeBee
All-Star

Post by CeeBee » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:13 pm

Actually I think you hit the nail on the head. Internet.... that and almost every game being televised I suppose and I dislike the fancrap that goes on just as much as you do. I do think though that back in the 50, 60, maybe even 70's fans and teams like the Habs-Leafs rivalry or Hawks-wings had a pretty good hate for each other as well. There were fights in the stands as well as on the ice. Those were the days my friend :) :-D

philou21
The Great One

Post by philou21 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:19 pm

As much as I like rivalries from the past CeeBee....I don't think fighting each other over a sport in the stands is really wise.... :-D Look at all the stupidness that can happen in a football game in Europe. :-p

CanucksFan1993
Prospect

Post by CanucksFan1993 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:30 pm

So.... what if the Oilers get the 1st overall pick again?

Calgary and Colorado fans are gonna SNAP.

philou21
The Great One

Post by philou21 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:13 pm

There's currently 8 teams with less point then the Oilers. Not likely to happen. Or it depends of the new rules of the convention, I think there was something about the lottery...?

CeeBee
All-Star

Post by CeeBee » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:18 pm

All the non- playoff teams are in the lottery now so 14 teams will have a chance at #1. Not really sure there is a clear cut #1 this year. I'd pick Seth Jones myself, but Drouin, McKinnon and Barkov all say hello as well. :-D

philou21
The Great One

Post by philou21 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:22 pm

But there's still the % chances right? I think I remember a little bit now. The 14th team got a nice 0.5 or something like that to win. :-p

Primis
Freeware Moderator

Post by Primis » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:51 pm

philou21 wrote:Howard is just another Osgood. Over-rated because the team in front of him plays really well.
Seriously? Have you followed the Western Conference goings-on this year? DET's defense is abysmal most nights and yet he plays well basically every night. DET's icing a top defensive pairing of Kronwall and Ericsson most nights, which is not a good 1st pairing. Many nights he's carried the team and is the only reason they're in the game. He's played on back-to-back nights, and entire road trips. This is not a DET team like previous years, they're struggling in their own end and injuries have hurt their offensive scoring ability. They're struggling to hang on to the 8th spot in the West, they're not a powerhouse team.

If DET makes the playoffs this year, it'll be mostly because Howard has carried them.

As far as the contract length... DET has nobody close in the pipeline. Mrazek is quite good, but he could be 3, 4, or even 5 years off if Howard's development was any indication. McCollum may or may not develop as planned, he seems to be struggling to even stick in the AHL and spends a lot of time in Toledo with the ECHL. paterson is young, raw, and nobody has a clue what he'll do. DET also signed a collegiate goalie out of Northern Michigan but he's raw and a wild-card too. Gustavsson seemed to be a really good backup signing but has done a poor job. So DET had to lock him up long-term.

Besides, 6 years is not a Luongo or Dipietro contract, not even close. I don't know why everyone is acting like it is.

philou21
The Great One

Post by philou21 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:21 am

6 years is alright to me though. I don't get why would people rage about that. :dunno:

batdad
The Great One
Custom Rank: Mr Technology
Favourite Team: Syracuse Bulldogs.

Post by batdad » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:01 pm

I just think that it is funny that a team that for decades has not spent much on goalies, has said they don't operate that way, and let guys leave when they wanted big $, is now spending big $ on a goalie. Hmmm....wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that they USED to spend big $ on a superstar defenceman that they no longer have....and that they have no choice but to actually have what they hope is a top level goalie. Is Howard top level? Not IMHO, he is not in the top 10, but he is decent. WOrht Lebongo $ ....no. But that appears to be what you have to do nowadays to sign a top level goalie...and without a proper defence crew that they have been so spoiled with over the last 2 decades...LOL. Kenny Holland eat your words.

Primis
Freeware Moderator

Post by Primis » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:34 pm

batdad wrote:Is Howard top level? Not IMHO, he is not in the top 10, but he is decent. WOrht Lebongo $ ....no. But that appears to be what you have to do nowadays to sign a top level goalie...and without a proper defence crew that they have been so spoiled with over the last 2 decades...LOL. Kenny Holland eat your words.
But that's what I don't get: it's not Luongo money. It's not Luongo term. There is zero comparison, and yet that's the one everyone is making. Luongo is 12yrs at $6.7m. Howard would be 6 years (half the term) at $5.3m ($1.4m less/yr).

A better comparable contract-wise is Carey Price, who is making $5.5 for 6 yrs in Montreal, though Price is obviously younger. Now, for age comparison as well, look at the $7m Pekka Rinne makes for 7yrs, and Rinne is even a year older than Howard, and they both have about the same experience. Cam Ward is 29 and has $6.4m for 6 years. I still don't get how a guy being 10th highest salary and 11th-highest cap hit is considered to be making money like Luongo, Rinne, and Lundqvist.

Who *would* you put in the Top 10 then batdad, if Howard's not?

CeeBee
All-Star

Post by CeeBee » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:14 pm

I believe you have the yearly average backwards. shouldn't it be 5.3 for Luongo and 6.7 for Howard?

CeeBee
All-Star

Post by CeeBee » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:18 pm

I don't like the Luongo contract but only for the length of term... 5.3 average is probably a fair bit below what he would get on the open market today. I guess thats the rub..... 12 years was the trade off and it looks a lot worse with the new CBA than it did with the old CBA... Hindsight is wonderful, isn't it.

Primis
Freeware Moderator

Post by Primis » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:45 pm

CeeBee wrote:I believe you have the yearly average backwards. shouldn't it be 5.3 for Luongo and 6.7 for Howard?
Capgeek says $6.7m for Luongo. Howard's would be $5.3m annually. If you sort the top goalies on Capgeek, you can see who makes what, the term, when it was signed, and their current age. It's kinda' frightening to see the Top 10 goalie contracts and who some of them are.

philou21
The Great One

Post by philou21 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:51 pm

Adam Foote will have his jersey retired by the Avs. :thup:

Primis
Freeware Moderator

Post by Primis » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:30 am

philou21 wrote:Adam Foote will have his jersey retired by the Avs. :thup:
At least he did play a number of years with them. Unlike a certain other Avs' defenseman.

In all seriousness, Sakic and Forsberg have been retired IIRC. Beyond Foote is there anyone else to even remotely consider at this point? Or are we talking about waiting for someone like Stastny to get through his career?

CeeBee
All-Star

Post by CeeBee » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:48 am

Primis wrote:
CeeBee wrote:I believe you have the yearly average backwards. shouldn't it be 5.3 for Luongo and 6.7 for Howard?
Capgeek says $6.7m for Luongo. Howard's would be $5.3m annually. If you sort the top goalies on Capgeek, you can see who makes what, the term, when it was signed, and their current age. It's kinda' frightening to see the Top 10 goalie contracts and who some of them are.
Not to beat a dead horse but capgeek has Luongo at 5.33 http://capgeek.com/player/683 and Howard at 5.30 http://capgeek.com/player/310. I think I saw some rumors that Howards deal was in the 6's but it looks like 5.3 is what it is
Edit: We are talking about caphit, right?

philou21
The Great One

Post by philou21 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:54 am

Primis wrote:
philou21 wrote:Adam Foote will have his jersey retired by the Avs. :thup:
At least he did play a number of years with them. Unlike a certain other Avs' defenseman.

In all seriousness, Sakic and Forsberg have been retired IIRC. Beyond Foote is there anyone else to even remotely consider at this point? Or are we talking about waiting for someone like Stastny to get through his career?
Ray Bourque jersey retirement was simply an honor for a well played career overall, an awesome man and a nice careerending for him. He deserves it and alot. It's not like the Avs like you said got 20 numbers to retire. They got the opportunity to have one of the best defencemen the NHL ever had. That's a classy move by the organization.

Back on topic, after Foote, there's not much left from the golden years of the Avs now and with their current team.....well. :-D They are far from having someone get his jersey retired. Duchene and Landeskog are still too young to see their futur. In all honesty, I think in today's NHL where every players move almost 2-3 times in their career, retired numbers will become a rare thing IMO.

Primis
Freeware Moderator

Post by Primis » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:30 am

CeeBee wrote:Not to beat a dead horse but capgeek has Luongo at 5.33 http://capgeek.com/player/683 and Howard at 5.30 http://capgeek.com/player/310. I think I saw some rumors that Howards deal was in the 6's but it looks like 5.3 is what it is
Edit: We are talking about caphit, right?
No, was talking actual salary. CapGeek has Luongo at the $+6m mark. I don't think Howard's is front-loaded like Luongo's... I don't even know that the new CBA allows that kind of front-loading, so figured actual salary was a better apples-to-apples.

CeeBee
All-Star

Post by CeeBee » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:05 am

Thing is it's the caphit that matters to most teams, not the actual salary. Heck, even with Tim Thomas its all about the caphit but in the opposite way. Same with the buyouts we have already seen and the ones we will no doubt see this summer. Also I think it's kinda and apples-oranges thing with comparing contracts on the old CBA to the new CBA. Sure will have a lot of teams scrambling this summer I suppose.

philou21
The Great One

Post by philou21 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:27 am

Filip Forsberg will likely play tomorrow his first NHL game with NSH. :thup:

CanucksFan1993
Prospect

Post by CanucksFan1993 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:43 am

The Habs are getting dominated! :joy:

Danny
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by Danny » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:10 am

Oh man Jagr is awesome even at the age of 89 or whatever it is. It's equally frustrating and discouraging to see he's about 8 levels above everyone else on that team and stuck with stonehands Campbell and Looch on his line, forcing him to pretty much win the puck along the boards, set up and finish all by himself.
This has quick first round exit written all over it.

philou21
The Great One

Post by philou21 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:58 am

I wonder why they let him play with fourth liners. They really can't make space for him on the two first line?!? :-?

Return to “Hockey Talk Forum”