Official NHL Season 2015-2016 Thread

Want to discuss any hockey related issues? Heard some interesting news? Watched a great game? Heard an interesting rumor or quote? Talk about it here! CONTAINS SPOILERS!
CJ
TBL Rosters Researcher
Custom Rank: Formerly jhcjobpb
Favourite Team: Florida Panthers

Re: Official NHL Season 2015-2016 Thread

Post by CJ » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:40 pm

Peter_Doherty wrote:To clarify, anyone we get has to be BORN in the U.S? So we cannot draft someone like Chychrun or Alex Nylander that have U.S as their 2nd nationality? Clayton Keller is born in the UK but is a full U.S National, can we draft him?
Wrong thread. :-D

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame
Favourite Team: New York Rangers

Post by Peter_Doherty » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:57 pm

Yeah, my bad :P

In other news, rumors that Rangers are in hard for both Drouin and Atkinson, i'm worried about what we would give up but i'm interested in both players for the right price.

batdad
The Great One
Custom Rank: Mr Technology
Favourite Team: Syracuse Bulldogs.

Post by batdad » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:01 pm

God no. Ryan Johansen may be the most over rated player to come on the market since....that Swedish guy Dallas signed as an UFA...Fabian Brunnstrom. The guy is a non playoff performer who only goes well against weak teams. Even in junior HE was the main reason his super star studded teams in Portland ( which funny enough had Seth Jones on them) did not win against teams they were heavily favored against (Kootenay, Edmonton the first time). And only won...after he was gone. He is big, he is supposedly strong, although I still see a gangly teenager....but he has no heart.

If anything...and I do no think I have ever said this about an American hockey player dealt for a Canadian,....but it should have been the CAnadian PLUS for the American. :-D

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter_Doherty » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:05 pm

I respectfully disagree, the proven (2 seasons over 60 points, 1 of them over 70 points) 1C definitely should hold higher value then the potential 1st pairing (potential #1 too) guy that has yet to play on 1st pairing. But hey, since we have opinions on both sides i guess the trade is pretty close to fair. Not like i would have suggested a BIG + for Preds either.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:10 pm

You may disagree all you wish, but it is not all about points. I have seen these two play live about 30 times each over the last 5 seasons. :-D What I hate, is that I agree with Torts on anything. RyJo....is not what people think. He is basically a 2nd line C like Ribeiro, who Nashville already has. Seth Jones is a top pairing PP and PK guy.

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter_Doherty » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:17 pm

RyJo has proven much more as a 1C then Jones has as a top pairing D. Jones might become what you say, maybe even as soon as next season he will be considered a legit top pairing guy or even a #1, but he is not there yet.

philou21
The Great One
Custom Rank: 24 cups!!!
Favourite Team: Colorado Avalanche

Post by philou21 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:36 pm

Well d-men always take longer to get at their top so it's normal but Jones, even has a rookie was already pretty darn solid imo compared to most people of his age.

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter_Doherty » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:43 pm

Yeah, definitely, i'm not trying to talk down on Jones here, i think he will be a legit 1st pairing guy for 10+ years. I'm just saying that i think RyJo should have been worth Jones + a small add right at this moment. Young legit 1Cs are just so hard to come by unless you draft them.

CJ
TBL Rosters Researcher

Post by CJ » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:37 pm

Ducks traided Friberg to Montreal for Tokarski. Ducks will probably trade Andersen now. No other point getting more goalies than that.

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter_Doherty » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:57 pm

That would be the logical thing yeah, unless they got some season ending injury to one of their AHL-goalies? What teams needs a goalie though?

CJ
TBL Rosters Researcher

Post by CJ » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:40 pm

Peter_Doherty wrote:That would be the logical thing yeah, unless they got some season ending injury to one of their AHL-goalies? What teams needs a goalie though?
Not many.. Right now Columbus. :-D But hardly there as they've got good depth. Maybe Arizona could use Freddie.

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter_Doherty » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:58 pm

Maybe a team like Florida would be interested, Lou is old and they don't have alot coming up the ranks.

CJ
TBL Rosters Researcher

Post by CJ » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:05 pm

Peter_Doherty wrote:Maybe a team like Florida would be interested, Lou is old and they don't have alot coming up the ranks.
That's one possibility..

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter_Doherty » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:07 pm

So batdad, you seen much of Jensen? If so, you think he will ever become an NHLer?

CJ
TBL Rosters Researcher

Post by CJ » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:43 am

Peter_Doherty wrote:So batdad, you seen much of Jensen? If so, you think he will ever become an NHLer?
If he's not showing great improvement in the next few years his only chance is a "late bloomer"... but I doubt that.

He's a tricky guy... could/can be great.. but I don't really believe in him at this point. :roll: (If you mean the Danish Nicklas Jensen the Canuck?)

But I'm not Batdad so I don't have the answer! :-D

(I wonder what PA I gave him in EHM :-k )

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter_Doherty » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:02 am

Yeah, that Jensen :) He just got traded to Rangers, hence my curiosity.

I don't expect much from him though but would be nice to get a verdict from someone that might actually have seen him play a fair bit.

Btw CJ, think his CA and PA have been set way too high for quite a while :P He was a stud when we did the Nucks challenge.

CJ
TBL Rosters Researcher

Post by CJ » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:01 am

Peter_Doherty wrote:Btw CJ, think his CA and PA have been set way too high for quite a while :P He was a stud when we did the Nucks challenge.
That's what I thought.. but I've changed my mind now. ;) But that's not my job anymore. :nerd:

But I think the Rangers won in that trade. I believe more in Jensen than in Etem. ;)

Funny thing is that both are #29 picks.. that seems like a fair trade :-D

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter_Doherty » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:17 am

I think neither of the two will amount to much in the NHL myself, Etem is dumb as rocks and Jensen from what i've read doesn't seem to be much smarter (talking about hockey-iq here, not actual iq ;).

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:13 pm

Jensen is a guy the Canucks management overhyped right from the start. He will not ever amount to that much in the show. The desire is not there. Look at what he does in Utica...nothing...when you have guys like Shinkaruk lighting it up. Nonis and Gillis loved him. AV tolerated him, Torts hated him, and Willie just says...he is not a Med Hat tiger so who cares.

Etem is by far the better player, but....I am not sure Etem has it either, other than the speed. Which in junior allowed him to score a ton, and in the NHL will probably only allow for a little bit. =

Both players need to be in the top 2 units and scoring to be in the league. If they are not...get em out.

Yeah I agree on Etem not being smart. Jensen is not much smarter IMHO if he is at all. HOckey IQ is limited for both.

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter_Doherty » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:22 pm

Yeah, pretty much what i figured. I did read that Jensen has been trying to reinvent his game towards more of a bottom-6 guy this season, we'll see how that experiment goes in Hartford i guess, sounds like that's his only real chance for NHL for now so good on him for trying i guess. He did score in his first Hartford game atleast :)

Yeah i dno about Etem, he's fast in a straight line and has good hands but his skating technique is terrible which limits his effectiveness on the forecheck ALOT, he also can't win a board battle to save his life, both those issues seems to be based from his roller hockey background. If there is a single line in the NHL he might work on it's next to Sedin-Sedin so maybe that can work?

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:35 pm

Oh man, that Canuck-Panther rivalry heated up last night. Too funny. Apparently Thornton the class act he is called the Sedins...'The same old sisters", just before OT. Then Daniel scores and skated by the Panther bench and says something. Please note that with this goal Daniel tied Markus Naslund for the most goals ever by a Canuck. He did not bother getting the puck. Just skated by the bench and said something. Then went to celebrate. Henrik is then talking to the bench, and Dorsett flies over. Montoya punches DOrsett. Then all hell breaks loose.

Also at the time Panther coaches were berating the refs for lack of calls against CAnucks. And the penalty called on Jagr in OT.

Denis Potvin..to all 4 of his Panther broadcast listeners called Daniel a "low life" LOL. Then he proceeded to say something about licking peanut butter off their bread with their fingers. Just ridiculous but noone heard it, as noone listens to Panther broadcasts.

But anyway...it was a heck of a good game. Luongo was unreal, the twins and Horvat-Baertschi were exciting to watch again....and Emerson Etem....looks darn good. Kid flies and did all the right things last night for the Canucks. Goes hard....all the time.

Canucks waiving Chris Higgins today...someone take Captain useless off the Canucks hands?

Alex Burrows could be next as Canucks try and get rid of some of the old dead weight contracts. There is some talk of Stamkos here, and more likely Looch as UFA.

We shall see...but the Canucks if they get rid of Burr, Higgins, Vrbata, Hamhuis....could have approximately 15 million to spend.

Oh and they should also give Yannick Weber the Higgins treatment. This guy is playing horrible hockey after having the season of his life last year.

Horvat....after 27 games without a goal has been outstanding since Christmas and has a 4 game point streak (3-3-6). Markstrom has been unbelievable since Miller got hurt. 4-2-1 since Boxing DAy, and in those games Canucks have hardly scored any goals. Kid has been unbelievable, and looks like a starter.

Prowl
Drafted
Favourite Team: Calgary Flames

Post by Prowl » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:25 pm

Joe Colborne needs to use his size instead of playing like poo as he did last night. No presence and no jump. He needs to take a page out of Ferland's book

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:07 pm

Joe Colborne has no idea what to do with a little black disc. Nor does he see anything on the ice but his big size 400000 feet.

philou21
The Great One
Custom Rank: 24 cups!!!
Favourite Team: Colorado Avalanche

Post by philou21 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:03 pm

Habs got John Scott in a trade to get Tinordi somewhere else. This is hilarious.

Saapas
Checking Line
Favourite Team: RoKi

Post by Saapas » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:01 am

philou21 wrote:Habs got John Scott in a trade to get Tinordi somewhere else. This is hilarious.
This apparently played out so that Scott can't play in the All-Star game :-k

Return to “Hockey Talk Forum”