The Blue Line

The British Hockey Thread 2017-18

Want to discuss any hockey related issues? Heard some interesting news? Watched a great game? Heard an interesting rumor or quote? Talk about it here! CONTAINS SPOILERS!

Re: The British Hockey Thread 2017-18

Postby Calv » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:56 am

Tickets seem to have gone very quickly this year, expected due to the new teams. It might be time to move it to a larger venue soon.
Calv
Goalie....Sieve....!
TBL Admin Team

Trophies:  2   2 

Postby archibalduk » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:06 pm

Has it sold out already? :-o

It's a shame they can't just put in more seats. The arena is in such a good location. I'd hate it to be at Sheffield given its out of town location. The Manchester Arena would be great but probably expensive.
archibalduk
Seaside + Fruit Juice Mode
TBL Admin Team

Trophies:  1   2   1

Postby MWE » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:59 am

Out of town location ? It's about 10 minutes away on the tram :-D
MWE
#1 Tom Sestito Fan
Stanley Cup Winner

Trophies:  1   1

Postby Calv » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:55 pm

MWE wrote:Out of town location ? It's about 10 minutes away on the tram :-D

One of the advantages of Nottingham is being able to walk in and out of town in between/after games for food etc, however I think given how quickly tickets seem to be selling it might be time to try it in Sheffield. I've no doubt that Sheffield, Nottingham, and Cardiff could easily sell more tickets if their sections were larger. Maybe Manchester too, I could probably get over on the train to/from Sheffield rather than having to stay the whole weekend in Nottingham.

It looks like Cardiff have got the league sewn up again this year, 9 points ahead of Belfast. Nottingham & Sheffield have been way too inconsistent, Nottingham particularly, and Manchester don't have the depth/budget to properly challenge - it also doesn't help that our captain has spent a quarter of the season suspended.

I think we have a good chance to win the conference title, MK are out of the running and I think Coventry are too far behind to catch up. Flames have a lot of games in hand and we still 3 more games in Guildford that will probably decide it.

Still a bit of a fight for the final playoff spot, although Braehead appear to be in the ascendency recently. I'd love to see Dundee in there as they've been so short this season and Pacha has done a pretty good job (on & off the ice) considering he came in late in the summer. Edinburgh really need someone like him to come in and sort them out off the ice, as they're close to dropping off the bottom of the table at the moment. Not sure there's any teams ready to come in and replace them either, unfortunately.
Calv
Goalie....Sieve....!
TBL Admin Team

Postby MWE » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:23 pm

Calv wrote:

One of the advantages of Nottingham is being able to walk in and out of town in between/after games for food etc, however I think given how quickly tickets seem to be selling it might be time to try it in Sheffield. I've no doubt that Sheffield, Nottingham, and Cardiff could easily sell more tickets if their sections were larger. Maybe Manchester too, I could probably get over on the train to/from Sheffield rather than having to stay the whole weekend in Nottingham.

It looks like Cardiff have got the league sewn up again this year, 9 points ahead of Belfast. Nottingham & Sheffield have been way too inconsistent, Nottingham particularly, and Manchester don't have the depth/budget to properly challenge - it also doesn't help that our captain has spent a quarter of the season suspended.

I think we have a good chance to win the conference title, MK are out of the running and I think Coventry are too far behind to catch up. Flames have a lot of games in hand and we still 3 more games in Guildford that will probably decide it.

Still a bit of a fight for the final playoff spot, although Braehead appear to be in the ascendency recently. I'd love to see Dundee in there as they've been so short this season and Pacha has done a pretty good job (on & off the ice) considering he came in late in the summer. Edinburgh really need someone like him to come in and sort them out off the ice, as they're close to dropping off the bottom of the table at the moment. Not sure there's any teams ready to come in and replace them either, unfortunately.

Centertainment is next door to the arena with food places Meadowhall is also nearby although I'm not too fussed about who hosts the play off finals myself as I don't go to them.

What happened to Hull applying again for a place in the league?
MWE
#1 Tom Sestito Fan
Stanley Cup Winner

Postby archibalduk » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:13 am

Calv wrote:

Yeah this is what I mean. Having ~15,000 fans getting the tram to/from the arena in Sheffield between games is going to be a bit manic. I didn't think there was all that much around the arena aside from that out of town shopping place. But if it means more ticket availability then I'd be all for it.

Getting a hotel has been more of a headache compared with previous years.

I realised I had enough flight points to get a free return flight to East Midlands Airport... But not until after I booked it! I could have saved myself £180... ](*,)
archibalduk
Seaside + Fruit Juice Mode
TBL Admin Team

Trophies:  1   2   1

Postby Calv » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:38 pm

Calv
Goalie....Sieve....!
TBL Admin Team

Postby MWE » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:04 pm

Watched Steelers lose 3-0 to Cardiff last night. easily beaten don't think ill be going again for a while.
MWE
#1 Tom Sestito Fan
Stanley Cup Winner

Postby Calv » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:51 pm

MWE wrote:Watched Steelers lose 3-0 to Cardiff last night. easily beaten don't think ill be going again for a while.

It's been a funny season for the big 4. Panthers have looked very mediocre, Steelers not much better and even the Giants have been inconsistent. Devils running away with it this season, and I don't think Flyers or Storm will put up much of a challenge.
Calv
Goalie....Sieve....!
TBL Admin Team

Previous

Return to Hockey Talk Forum