Project NHL32 - Seattle Edition (2019-20 Season BETA!)

This is the place to discuss database or roster projects for Eastside Hockey Manager (other than the TBL Rosters). Please note that any queries about the TBL Rosters or data editing should be asked in the TBL Rosters Forum and the Data Editing Forum respectively.
Forum rules
Data Editing Forum: Editing the game, databases or saved games. Home of the EHM Editor and the EHM Assistant.

Game Add-ons Forum: Database projects, graphics and sounds. Any discussion which does not relate to editing databases or saved games.

Game Knowledge Discussion: Attributes, coaching, drafting, scouting, tactics and training/practice.

Rosters Forum: Discussion relating to all database and roster projects for Eastside Hockey Manager.

TBL Rosters: Discussion, crashes, data issues, questions, etc relating to the TBL Rosters update for Eastside Hockey Manager.

Technical Support: Difficulties, crashes and errors when installing or running the game (and nothing else). Any issues relating to the TBL Rosters must be posted in the TBL Rosters forum. Questions about how to install add-ons must be posted in the Game Add-ons Forum.

General EHM Chat: Anything relating to Eastside Hockey Manager 2004 / 2005 / 2007 / 1 which does not fall within any of the other forums.

Please carry out a forum search before you start a new thread.
Jykke
Junior League

Project NHL32 - Seattle Edition (2018-19 Season)

Post by Jykke » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:58 pm

Hey. I've just pretty much finished my latest NHL32 campaign with 5.0 database (I played it until year 2048 or something) and was wondering how up to date with transfers this latest version are? Also, I noticed that with 5.0 there was a bug in draft lottery, the last team in NHL didn't usually win the lottery (they actually most of the time were 4th in draft order) and I wanted to know if this was reported and/or fixed in latest version?

Thanks for the good work, its been a blast playing this.

BKarchitect
Second Line

Post by BKarchitect » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:11 pm

Draft is (should be) fixed. V7.3 is up to date through last Saturday - NHL and major leagues in other countries but not going to say I guarantee 100% accuracy if you are playing say Liiga or DEL or another European league. But it’ll be close. Prospects for the ‘19 draft and beyond are very updated. Slight bug with sending NHL guys to the AHL at the moment but will fix for next update and if you start a game in 7.3 and it’s an issue, it’s an easy fix in the editor.

Definitely a ton of updates from whenever 5.0 was released :nod:

Jykke
Junior League

Post by Jykke » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:30 am

I haven't touched Liiga (or any other European league for that matter) for ages because they haven't been updated for ages. I have been on and off in project with some of my friends to fix Liiga but I don't know how to mass-edit CA and salaries and it is hell of a job to do it by hand in editor.

We listed up on some last years Liiga players some time ago, and tried to figure what their CA (simply CA, not talking about for example what young players PA is) should be, ranking top notch around 130-140 (for example players like Sakari Salminen, Shaun Heshka, Ilari Filppula, Henrik Haapala), players that would fit first line/first pairing/starting goalie in almost any team 120-130 (Players like Kristian Kuusela, Matthew Maione, Oula Palve, Veini Vehviläinen), players that would fit any teams 2nd line, second pairing or 1B goalies around 110-120 (Players like Ahti Oksanen, Jarno Kärki, Jussi Rynnäs, Zach Budish, Olli Juolevi, Markus Nenonen), third liners/ pairing players around 100-110 (Players like Teemu Nurmi, Siim Liivik, Aleksi Salonen, Ilkka Pikkarainen, Rasmus Kupari) and the "rest" around 80-100.

I think SHL and Liiga (I'm not that familiar with NLA, DEL or other European leagues) top players should be around 130-140 CA. That's why KHL keeps robbing our cream of the crop.

Realpity
Prospect
Favourite Team: North Bay Battalion

Post by Realpity » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:22 pm

Maybe it's just me but I started a new OHL game & it's limiting my roster to 23 players like the NHL ... which it shouldn't, anything glitching or that I can reset ?

BKarchitect
Second Line

Post by BKarchitect » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:28 pm

Realpity wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:22 pm
Maybe it's just me but I started a new OHL game & it's limiting my roster to 23 players like the NHL ... which it shouldn't, anything glitching or that I can reset ?
Yeah I was doing some testing with v7.3 (to have better distribution of future game-generated players) and it appears to have made some leagues too restrictive. Will fix for v7.4 (ETA this weekend) but in the meantime, if you have the editor, it's an easy fix and I think you can also just change it in your save game file if you've already started a career.

Go to the Competitions - Transfer Rules, find the league in question and just bump up the number for max players in a squad.

Realpity
Prospect
Favourite Team: North Bay Battalion

Post by Realpity » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:00 pm

Perfect, thanks bud ! Amazing work as always and much appreciated

BKarchitect
Second Line

Post by BKarchitect » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:07 pm

Bump for v7.4 of 32-team Seattle and Seattle-Quebec databases - see NHL36 thread here:
https://www.ehmtheblueline.com/forums/v ... 92#p238192

max_colgate
Learning to skate
Favourite Team: San Jose Sharks

Post by max_colgate » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:51 am

Hi, new here, just wanna to say thanks for your great job with this db. I'm a noob both in the EHM and in editing and modding games, so all the concept o editing the game by the editor is quite a challenge for me. I wanna change the divisions and conferences names(back to the old ones), relocate Arizona to Houston(the realignment will make more sense) and change the divisions of a couple of teams, i wanna know if is possible and if will mess up with something like the schendule? Thanks a lot for your time and work.
ps: Sorry for the bad english, i'm from Brazil.

BKarchitect
Second Line

Post by BKarchitect » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:30 pm

One of the items on my agenda for the NHL32 database is "building in" a bunch of identities for the Seattle franchise. So with a few keystrokes in the Editor, you'll be able to customize your experience with one of 8-10 identities for the Seattle team, (based on the real life shortlist) all with different logos, colors and home/away looks. I've used Sparky Chewbarky's "Kraken" identity in the past and more recently have been using a the classic "Totems" look. One of the new looks that I think is super sexy (credit to Sparky Chewbarky for his amazing logos) is this dark teal "Seattle Sea Lions" look. Sparky's Sea Lion logo is out of this world professional looking!

Anyways - when I complete the set I'll post all the options and instructions for how to use with the Editor prior to or with the release of the next update (I know it's been a while - still tinkering!)

Last edited by BKarchitect on Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BKarchitect
Second Line

Post by BKarchitect » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:35 pm

max_colgate wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:51 am
Hi, new here, just wanna to say thanks for your great job with this db. I'm a noob both in the EHM and in editing and modding games, so all the concept o editing the game by the editor is quite a challenge for me. I wanna change the divisions and conferences names(back to the old ones), relocate Arizona to Houston(the realignment will make more sense) and change the divisions of a couple of teams, i wanna know if is possible and if will mess up with something like the schendule? Thanks a lot for your time and work.
ps: Sorry for the bad english, i'm from Brazil.
Your english is perfectly good!

Yes, I am afraid in order to change the divisions and conferences will mess up the schedule. If you simply want to "exchange" Houston for Arizona though - that is not a big deal and will not affect the schedule!

scorndefeat
Junior League
Favourite Team: Pittsburgh Penguins

Post by scorndefeat » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:51 am

Been enjoying this one, thanks for your efforts! I'm on SeattleQuebec 7.4 now, approaching the 2019 draft. I noted that the report card does not provide any additional information on players; no personality traits, no snippets, only the grades. "There are no further details available on this player" is the only item featured under the report card grades. Is this an error anybody else has experienced with this DB? Just to add, I made some changes to the DB (added prospects via spreadsheet and expansion draft via spreadsheet).

bskiffington
Junior League
Favourite Team: Toronto Maple Leafs

Post by bskiffington » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:51 am

I am having some issues getting this mod to work. Everything is in the right place and loads up correctly but the game always crashes during the set up after I select which leagues I want active.

BKarchitect
Second Line

Post by BKarchitect » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:36 pm

Some leagues cause an issue upon load (specifically Great Britain in the last release). I’ll have a massive update soon and testing to ensure all leagues are crash free at the moment.

BKarchitect
Second Line

Post by BKarchitect » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:20 pm

NHL32X 1.0

NHL32X is the next phase of my sandbox experiment database editing. It combines a totally updated NHL32 database with Seattle with my new playable WHA league, some other new league options and seven different Seattle identities with the updated NHL32X Graphics Pack. NHL32X is meant to be a hybrid database - firmly rooted in updated and accurate players, prospects, ratings and rosters but with obviously fantasy-based add-ons such as the Seattle NHL team, the entire WHA and ICC leagues and streamlined European leagues with added promotion/relegation for many.

***NOTE***
The database has been tested with ALL leagues on enhanced with added players and staff to about 2029 in my test sims with no errors that killed the game. Every once in a while there is an error that you click through with no issues. The ONLY EXCEPTION is that the British Second Tier (NIHL) is not yet working properly. DO NOT SELECT THE BRITISH NATIONAL ICE HOCKEY LEAGUE when starting a game until notified otherwise. The Elite Ice Hockey League works just fine though.

Features of NHL32X

Seattle as the 32nd NHL team
- Seattle is of course in the database. And includes an updated Seattle expansion draft import file with modified results based on refined ratings. If you use the import file, you'll get to start off with a fairly solid team in Seattle. The big news with this update though is there are SEVEN Seattle identities included in the database and associated NHL32 logo pack. Which means you can use the EHM pre-game editor to customized your Seattle club identity with just a few clicks...each identity comes with a complete set of logos and colors. You can even switch your Seattle identity with the editor in a saved game if you get bored of one look and want soemthing fresh. There is a TXT file with all the Seattle identities listed, with correct naming and suggested color schemes to match the logos. Can be edited into either a pregame database or saved file with archi's EHM Editor.

Click here to preview all the identities you can use:
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/ ... -154408183

The World Hockey Association and Intercontinental Club Cup
- Added the WHA and ICC as playable leagues. The WHA is of course a reboot of the old WHA league of the 70's and early 80's and features a Canadian, American and European divisions. The ICC is a major intercontinental competition featuring top European (via CHL and Continental Cup), Russian (Gagarin Cup champs) and WHA (Avco Cup Champs) teams in an effort to crown the best club outside the NHL. There is also a WHA diserpsal draft import file that will seed each WHA club with 12 current NHL players/prospects (6 forwards, 4 defenders and 2 goalies) to give each club a bit of a boost to start. I find it helps make things more active with trading and giving the WHA clubs a nice reputation boost.

Click here to read more and see some of the graphics in action:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=19885

All-Star Game Fix & Config Debug
- The NHL All-Star game has been fixed (was previously not working in NHL32/36. Also the AHL, ECHL, KHL and new WHA All-Star game competitions should all work fine. Additionally, the Debug Mode has been fixed in the extra_config file so Players Likes/Dislikes, Full Transaction Bio Info and all detailed Scouting Report info/comparisons should all be working. Big thanks to archi for the info!

Other Updates
- All major world transactions/extensions as of January 26 - been a while since the last update so there are a lot of changes.

- Mid-Season ratings adjustments for NHL/AHL and top players in major European leagues. Based on 2018-19 seasons thus far for club and for country. Of course, not going to be perfect but should result in much more realistic sims with guys who are breaking out this year and older guys who are faded adjusted. NHL depth charts, Top 10's and prospect lists should behave pretty realistically (though keep in mind what you see on the screen can vary per your AGM/scouting staff). The goal is to have results that are in line with what is happening this season, not what was predicted. You'll probably see teams like the Kings, Blackhawks and Blues struggle mightily while others like the Flames, Islanders and Montreal look surprisingly good. Of course, individual games will vary but seriously - try out the Kings if you want a challenge, they are old, slow and suck and getting a haul via trade for Doughty and Kopitar is easier said than done!

- Complete overhaul of international nations with updated IIHF point rankings, adjusted club colors and completely updated logos for all national teams in the game. I've switched the logos from being those of the "federations" to the actual crests/logos used by the national teams on their jerseys. So, for example, Tre Kronor get the crowns logo for both men's and U20, home and away. And teams like Czech and Finland recently updated their logos. My goal is to eventually add more nations as "hockey competing nations" and start boosting some reputations to try and encourage the CPU develop a broader range of nationalities in the regens.

- Hundreds of new prospects for future NHL drafts added with mid-season adjustments for both drafted and future players with Hlinka, WJC and WHC U17 rosters and results taken into account plus all the knowledge at HFB Prospects forums and national forums. 2019, 2020, 2021 draft classes should behave pretty accurately to the current general "consensus" and a some guys even further down the line in 2022 and 2023 drafts with big potential added.

- Huge clean-up of UFAs...removed retired players (including Nash and Gorges) and tons of old guys and toned down the still unattached players.

- Complete re-do of the NCAA future transfers...almost 1,000 recruits from 2019 through 2023 added (every single NCAA D1 recruit). Streamlined class years so that no team gets overwhelmed by 20 new recruits in a season (which causes the CPU to stupidly release tons of players). Will update year classifications as they solidify.

- Cleaned up British leagues - again, as part of streamlining, I've taken some liberties here, using a two-tier concept with the EIHL still at 12 with Murrayfield Racers taking the place of the old Edinbrough club (they tried to make the 2018-19 season and were rejected but a team in Edinbrough makes sense). NIHL reduced to a single large second-tier competition with all Division 1 (North & South clubs) and a few added clubs like Chelmsford (a traditional D1 power now in D2) and Aberdeen (a Scottish league power). And now there is promotion/relegation from EIHL to NIHL. And rosters have been "cleaned" and updated with top 2018-19 players but aren't going to be full. So yeah, if you want 100% accuracy with British leagues, go with TBL or xECK's rosters - I'm more interested in a concept/challenge where a second-tier British minnow team can eventually win the EIHL and perhaps the Champions League and even the new ICC and be crowned "best in the world" outside the NHL.

- Cleaned up/added Denmark, Norway, Poland, Belarus leagues, now all playable. Rosters tuned up like Britain - cleaned of all old players, teams filled with top performers of 2018-19 (and national team players) but you'll find they aren't full 20+ player rosters. My "cleaning and simplifying" project for club competitions has now touched pretty much all of Europe aside from the Baltic states and some of the old USSR countries. Then next then on to some more unique nations like South Africa, Mexico and Australia - again, to try and encourage some player development in interesting places.

- Graphics Pack includes some several newly discovered update logos in the VHL and MHL over in Russia, re-branding of Sioux Falls Stampede Jr. to Sioux Falls Power and a bunch of other minor updates. Also All-Star logos have been converted to match league logos - tired of seeing 2017 All-Star game logo, etc and even if I update to 2019, it will quickly be out of date. So going with matching league logos for those All-Star league screens. Kootenay has been relocated to the new arena under development in Winnipeg for next season but for now I'm still calling them the Ice (Winnipeg Ice) until the official name and colors drop.

DOWNLOADS

NHL32x 1.0 BETA database
The database download includes: the NHL32x database, associated extra config file, Seattle identity text file, Graphcis credits text file and two import files - one to stock Seattle with an expansion drat and one to stock the WHA clubs with some NHL players/prospects via a dispersal draft as a boost to start with. You of course don't have to use both or either draft file if you don't want to alter current NHL rosters too much and prefer to build your franchise from scratch.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lmupmji28c4t7 ... 0.zip?dl=0

NHL32x 1.0 Graphics Pack
The Graphics Pack includes all the club/comp logos, national team logos and scratched ice backgrounds for the NHL and WHA (the backgrounds will only be visible at the highest 1920x1080 game resolution). You MUST have the latest dani9 logopack installed first - then overwrite when asked with the graphics in the NHL32x logopack.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z388j2550yr94 ... k.zip?dl=0
Last edited by BKarchitect on Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BKarchitect
Second Line

Post by BKarchitect » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:21 pm

Seattle Expansion Draft Results - Import File

If you use the Import File as is for the Seattle expansion draft, this will be your starting depth chart. Of course, you can customize the results as you want!

BKarchitect
Second Line

Post by BKarchitect » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:23 pm

WHA Dispersal Draft Results - Import File

If you decide to play around with the WHA I highly suggest you use the import file for the WHA Dispersal Draft. It will stock your club and all WHA clubs with at least the start of a roster.

Drafted players from the NHL clubs were selected so as not to totally kill any NHL club's depth chart at any one position, although obviously between the Seattle Expansion Draft and WHA Dispersal Draft, NHL teams are losing around 7-8 players each so it will make an impact.

All WHA USA clubs start with all USA players, all Canada Division clubs start with all Canadian players and all Euro clubs start with Euro players. I even tried to give some of the Euro clubs a hometown star (ie, Bellemare for PSG, Nielsen for Copenhagen, Martinsen for Oslo and Perlini for London...Perlini of course is also Canadian but his brother plays for GB and so I've switched his allegiance to GB as well for fun). The Nordiques also start with all native Quebec players. There are no domestic/foreigner rules though so as the game progresses you can sign or trade for whomever you want.

Last edited by BKarchitect on Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BKarchitect
Second Line

Post by BKarchitect » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:25 pm

I'm particularly interested if anybody tries out a WHA franchise, what that is like. There is no draft ability so that's a bummer but I've tried to make the WHA as fully-featured as possible. All-Star game, full weekly, monthly and end of season awards to match the NHL basically, the Intercontinental Club Cup as an additional competition possibility, etc. Interested in seeing the highest level of players people are able to attract and if they can keep hold of them or if they eventually get poached by NHL clubs.

ktbits1234
Junior League

Post by ktbits1234 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:09 pm

Wow, awesome work! Can't wait to try it.

Zaschrona
Learning to skate
Favourite Team: Bruins

Post by Zaschrona » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:04 pm

Wow, this looks so cool, was about to start a new game soon, so it is going to be a career with your newest version!

WHA looks really nice although 18 teams is a lot small number for a competition that lets 16 teams into the play-offs, the regular season seems to be a bit unnecessary with that amount of teams. But if it works I am quite sure there are lot of places to expand the league further! Would be lovely to see it expanded to 30 teams for a 'real rival' league.

An extra European division - just shuffle teams with the other division - Benelux+Nordics & UK, France, Spain, Croatia, Slovenia, Israel:
Spain (HC Barcelona), Palau Sant Jordi (17,960)
Luxembourg (Luxembourg Tornado), d'Coque (8,300)
Iceland (Esja Reykjavik), Laugardalshöll (11,000)
Croatia (Medvescak Zagreb), Arena Zagreb (15,200)
Slovenia (Slavija Ljubljana), Stožice Arena (14,500)
Israel (Jerusalem Bears), Pais Arena (15,654)

And a 'World' division with these teams:
Australia (Sydney Kangaroos), Sydney Super Dome (18,200)
New Zealand (Auckland Warriors), Spark Arena (12,000)
South Africa (Johannesburg Lions), Ticketpro Dome (20,000)
Japan (Tokyo Sunwolves), Saitama Super Arena (22,500)
South Korea (Seoul Dynasty), KSPO Dome (15,000)
Mexico (Mexico City Aztecs), Mexico City Arena (22,300)

Would be 5 divisions, 30 teams, 68 games - home and away with all 29 teams + extra home and away with divisional rivals.

Also would love to see a 32-team KHL. Kick out Slovan and Jokerit as in an ideal world they should play in their home leagues - Liiga could do with a 16th team and Slovakia with two teams like Slovan and Fehérvár AV19, while Znojmo would move back into the Czech 2nd League to have 16 teams there and Medvescak to KHL, while EBEL would take on extra teams (Asiago, Olimpija, Jesenice) to keep 12 teams from Alps HL, while Alps HL would then have way more ideal number of 14 teams.

KHL could then include 9 extra teams and move into round-robin home-and-away 62 games schedule, no divisions/conferences:
Ukraine (Sokil Kiev), Palace of Sports (7,200)
Lithuania (Žalgiris Vilnius), Siemens Arena (10,000)
Estonia (Ilves Tallinn), Saku Suurhall (10,500)
Bulgaria (Levski Sofia), Arena Armeec (12,373)
Romania (Steaua Bucuresti), Mihai Flamaropol (8,000)
Serbia (Red Star Belgrade), Štark Arena (18,386)
Bosnia (HK Alfa), Zetra Olympic Hall (12,000)
UAE (Dubai Mighty Camels), Hamdan Sports Complex (15,000)
Turkey (BB Ankara SK), Ankara Arena (10,400)

While VHL could do with few extra teams to also have 32 teams with a same format:
Turkmenistan (Nisa Ashgabat), Winter Sports Complex Ashgabat (10,300)
Georgia (Dinamo Tbilisi), Tbilisi Sports Palace (9,700)
Kuwait (Kuwait Mooseheads), Fajhan Hilal Al-Mutairi Court (5,000)

Only these nations would then need to be added a team to have a situation where all hockey nations with active national team have at least one playable team in game:
Taiwan (Dacin Tigers) as an extra team to ALIH), Taipei Arena (15,085)
Hong Kong (Kitchee HC) as an extra team to ALIH), Hong Kong Coliseum (12,500)
North Korea (Ammrokang Pyongyang) as an extra team to ALIH, Pyongyang Arena (12,309)

We would then have NHL as well as WHA and KHL all with 30 or 32 teams + Euro CHL+CC with 48+16 teams. Would be absolutely superb structure to have the whole hockey world covered in this DB. Could open up absolutely new possibilites for developing players all over the planet, as well as for a revamp of international calendar.

BKarchitect
Second Line

Post by BKarchitect » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:45 pm

Hah, that's a lot of input - thanks though. I posted this on HFBoards yesterday in the EHM thread. My next goal is maybe not quite as ambitious but its starting to work towards what you are getting at:

And since I'm always tinkering, I've already thought of where I want to take the WHA next after perhaps some testing by people with this initial NHL32X database...

Basically the goal would be a new division in Central/Eastern Europe to give the WHA 24 teams and allow me to break the structure up into 2 conferences...North America and Europe, with USA, Canada, Eastern Europe and Central Europe divisions. The schedule would be mostly within conference with perhaps a single round of North America vs Europe games in the middle of the season. That would be fairly realistic - and then each conference would have playoffs resulting in a North America vs European team Avco Cup each season.

The time consuming part will be creating the schedule. For teams, I'm thinking the following....I again am going to avoid countries that already have rich leagues so no Swiss or German teams and avoid countries that have a KHL presence.

- Austria: This is easy. I'd promote Red Bull Salzburg to the WHA and keep an "EC Salzburg" based on their traditional history prior to Red Bull in the EBEL. But having a Red Bull funded team in the WHA that is trying to compete with the KHL for best league outside the NHL makes a ton of sense.

- Poland: Another no-brainer choice for me. Relatively small domestic league but a population base that could support growth market for a centralized WHA team. Could promote a traditional power like Cracovia or Tychy but I'll probably create a new super team and leave the domestic rivalries intact.

- Italy: I think here I'd just promote HC Bolzano who are by far the most high profile club to the WHA. They already don't play in the same league (EBEL vs Alps) as the rest of the Italian clubs. I'd just have to fill their spot in the EBEL with another Italian or Austrian club.

- Ukraine: This one may be a bit out there but I really like the idea of a Ukrainian club for growth of the sport in that country. Donbass would be the historical choice to promote as a former KHL member but that could be touchy logistically and politically so probably looking at a new club in the Western portion of the country, Kiev or what not.

- Hungary: Like Bolzano in Italy, Fehervar already don't play with any other Hungarian team (they are in the EBEL) so it would be simple to promote them and just replace their spot in the EBEL.

- Czech Republic: I know I said no teams in countries with big established leagues but perhaps a single team in the Czech Republic could be the WHA version of the KHL having Jokerit in Finland. And I wouldn't have to mess with breaking up any of the current Extraliga, I'd just bring back Lev Praha who were a new team from years ago that tried to establish itself in the KHL.

Other options would be to bring Medvescak in...as a former KHL team, they have some credibility and like Bolzano and Fehervar, they currently play in the EBEL. They are probably in as #6 if I don't use Lev Praha for the Czech Republic. Iceland probably doesn't have the population base but they'd be an interesting case - they'd make a lot of sense as a bridge between the N.A. clubs and Europe (I'd move Copenhagen most likely to the Central Europe Division in this case). Slovenia could be an option although I think Kopitar aside, Hungary is a stronger candidate. Spain would be an off-the-wall choice but heck, if I wanted to try and develop some new hockey market, that would be kind of cool - perhaps an ice hockey off-shoot of Real Madrid or Barcelona sporting clubs (like I did with PSG).

raipeh
Junior League
Favourite Team: FIN

Post by raipeh » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:38 pm

Hey BKarchitect, thanks for the new update and hard work your putting in it!

Just started a new save with LA Kings to test the database out - seems like (at least) in NHL, most, if not all teams have basic language set to either finnish, swedish, or both, and this is a bit funny to me. Was this intended? This of course makes the team's players "automatically" speak finnish or swedish and it looks a bit off in their bio!

Nothing else to report for now, will check back later when I continue with the save!

*edit* Seems like it's happening all over North America, in juniors too at least.

Zaschrona
Learning to skate
Favourite Team: Bruins

Post by Zaschrona » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:05 pm

BKarchitect wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:45 pm
Hah, that's a lot of input - thanks though. I posted this on HFBoards yesterday in the EHM thread. My next goal is maybe not quite as ambitious but its starting to work towards what you are getting at:
Thank you for answer! Your 24-team variant of WHA also makes a great idea. You could then use a really nice home-and-away + home-and-away in your conference schedule for total of 68 games, so could be only 2 long 6-game trips to play the other division per year, then only meet the other conference in Finals + during ASG which could have a nice unique format of North America vs. Europe. Going by your teams ideas I suggest you should use Gdansk for Poland as all other teams in their league are from South Poland and you can also use a great 15k arena for them, or Warszawa works as a new club or Krakow as a traditional team from South Poland. Similarly would go for Milano instead of Bolzano in Italy as they have a way bigger available arena and also are based away from all other Italian teams in Alps Hockey League, also they are a much bigger market to suit WHA to make it at least somehow semi-realistic. And similarly would go for Budapest in Hungary as there is a 10k arena and the only big market in Hungary. And well as a Czech I absolutely love the idea of Lev Praha comeback! :nod:

Maybe my idea could be used for a farm league (WHA2), as it could be an efficient way how to involve more nations into the system and also to make WHA more fun, while using totally identical schedule for both leagues to save time. WHA2 should allow teams to sign more own players than it is the case in AHL to allow them developing of their own players with rules somewhere between AHL and ECHL. Current reserve league could be then downgraded into an U20 league, with maybe both WHA and WHA2 teams having an U20 team in this league, there could be four 12-team conferences with 66 games playing 6 times vs your conference rivals with following playoff for top 8 teams, and a Final 4 round-robin tournament involving winners of all four conferences to have a cool junior team competition. WHA2 could become a true rival for AHL, but with more money with teams being more indepedent, having bigger stadiums and their own junior team. WHA could use similar rules like NHL - 23 players allowed for first team, all others would need to be sent down. Not sure EHM could handle this outside the NHL though, but would love a structure like this.

Teams may be linked in a way like this:
US - Middle East
Atlanta - Israel, Jerusalem
California - UAE, Dubai
Hartford - Kuwait, Kuwait City
Houston - Turkey, Ankara
Kansas - Qatar, Doha
Portland - South Africa, Johannesburg (would be a LONG trip, but it is probably the only sensible way how to involve them - and in reality the trip would not be that much longer than from Khabarovsk to Ufa like they do in a division in KHL)

Canada - Pacific
Halifax - Australia, Sydney
Hamilton - New Zealand, Auckland
Montreal - Taiwan, Taipei
Quebec - Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Saskatchewan - South Korea, Seoul
Toronto - Japan, Tokyo

Would make a change here as Belgium is an even smaller hockey country than Spain and so does not really deserve a team in this league, and as Slovan Bratislava is likely leaving KHL after this season because of financial difficulties, it would make sense to move them into this league while keeping KHL with 24 teams, alternativelly would add a new German or Swiss team instead (Hamburg and Basel are big cities without a team) or move up Slovenia with a Greek farm. But I think a V4 division + Austria and Ukraine would be really cool.

Western Europe
Amsterdam - Belgium, Brussels
Milano - Spain, Barcelona
Copenhagen - Lithuania, Vilnius
London - Iceland, Reyjkavik
Oslo - Estonia, Talinn
Paris - Luxembourg, Luxembourg

Eastern Europe
Salzburg - Bosnia, Sarajevo
Gdansk - Slovenia, Ljubljana
Bratislava - Serbia, Belgrade
Kiev - Bulgaria, Sofia
Budapest - Romania, Bucuresti
Prague - Croatia, Zagreb

If you then involve Mexico in a different way, then Georgia, Turkmenistan and North Korea would be the only nations involved in EHM with a national team without a playable club, while Thailand and Kyrgyzstan are joining in this year's IIHF World Champs. These 3 nations could likely get involved in KHL structure, likely into VHL to make it 32 teams. With some extra boosts to all these nations involved in this new WHA structure, the game could become way more interesting concerning young talents outside of major nations.

Ukko
TBL Rosters Researcher
Favourite Team: Blackhawks, Sharks, Finns, EK65.

Post by Ukko » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:48 pm

I'd suggest using something else than PSG for Paris' team.

One could argue the choice for Paris over french hockey powerhouses (Rouen Dragons, Grenoble,.. ) and I see what I wanted to do in the WHA with Paris.
Why not make the already existing club a WHA franchise ? "Français Volants" (Flying frenchies) or create something new from scratch, as you did with other countries ?

BKarchitect
Second Line

Post by BKarchitect » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:05 pm

Ukko wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:48 pm
I'd suggest using something else than PSG for Paris' team.

One could argue the choice for Paris over french hockey powerhouses (Rouen Dragons, Grenoble,.. ) and I see what I wanted to do in the WHA with Paris.
Why not make the already existing club a WHA franchise ? "Français Volants" (Flying frenchies) or create something new from scratch, as you did with other countries ?
Yeah you're right - it does look a bit odd in comparison to everything else. I'll change it up for the next release, which will expand to 24 with 6 more European clubs.

I'm not going to internally promote any existing club because I don't want the WHA experience to mess with other leagues too much, especially league structures and teams. It just causes lots of issues like how do you deal with existing rosters, existing affiliations and junior teams, then having to back-fill those domestic leagues. I think with all expansion teams (note of course that some are based on historical clubs), it's a fresher experience and doesn't interrupt the sim of somebody who isn't interested in trying the WHA.

In fact, for the next release I'm going to add another import file for those who want NHL32 with Seattle but without the WHA that you can run to make those clubs and the WHA extinct. It's an easy way for me two essentially get two databases from one.

Ukko
TBL Rosters Researcher
Favourite Team: Blackhawks, Sharks, Finns, EK65.

Post by Ukko » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:52 pm

In such case I'd suggest creating a club in Paris (hardcore french hockey fans will say it's not fair to Rouen or any other historical powerhouse) because it's the only town matching the "international" image you gave to the WHA europe division.

Paris Coqs ? (english for roosters) :-D

Silly names aside, and since french people aren't always english-friendly, I'm rooting for a name that goes for both english and french (such as Dragons, Lions, etc). QJHML names would work very nicely (Titan, Olympiques, Armada, etc. )

A few ideas thrown at random :

Paris Dragons (taking Rouen's name, french hockey fans go nuts)
Lions (3 lion-themed teams in europe WHA ? :/ )
Capitals
Apaches (also a french name for early 20th cent. goons in Paris)
Dandys
Gentlemen
Bandits
Voyageurs

Return to “Rosters Forum”