Trades Allowed In Challenges

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

What are your feelings on the current trade rules for challenges

Poll ended at Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:49 pm

I like the current restrictions. Only 1 for 1 deals allowed.
58%
I prefer the old rules which allowed 2 for 1 or 2 for 2 deals to be made.
8%
I don't like either set of restrictions because the make thing too hard or not fun for me.
33%

Total votes: 12

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Trades Allowed In Challenges

Post by bruins72 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:49 pm

Hi folks! I was wondering what everyone's feelings were on the current challenge trade rules. Is the 1 for 1 deal too strict? Does this keep you from participating in the challenges?

Please vote in the poll and then give your thoughts in a comment below.

Thanks!

Loosie
Team Captain
Custom Rank: Holy journeyman Batman

Re: Trades Allowed In Challenges

Post by Loosie » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:53 pm

I do think the 1 for 1 is too strict. I'm not sure about 2 for 1 or 2 for 2 either. I understand the need for limiting trades and stopping people from completing ripping apart the team, but I also find that the challenges almost always try and find the worst possible team that seem more like a long term project than a short-term challenge.

I find that usually by the time the 2nd season is part way through I'm just frustrated with how the team is performing and don't really want to continue playing.

batdad
The Great One
Custom Rank: Mr Technology
Favourite Team: Syracuse Bulldogs.

Post by batdad » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:12 am

I am not going to vote as I have not been participating much lately with my schedule.

I feel that it is possible to allow one of these things to happen (player choice)

You trade player plus pick for player
you trade player for pick plus player

you trade Pick for player plus player

you trade player plus player for player plus player.
you trade player for player

Any of those three options can be selected for each year of the challenge. However...once you do a trade for a pick you may not do one the next season. So can only trade FOR a pick every 2 years. you can only AWAY a pick every 2 years as well.

And of course...one trade per year.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:05 am

Interesting ideas, Batdad. I'd like to see what others think of that.

Loosie, I do understand your frustration. That's a big part of the reason why I started this poll. I've been frustrated with this too at times.

timmy_t
Stanley Cup Winner
Custom Rank: TIMMAH TEEEEE!!!!
Favourite Team: Colorado Avalanche

Post by timmy_t » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:14 am

bruins72 wrote:Interesting ideas, Batdad. I'd like to see what others think of that.

Loosie, I do understand your frustration. That's a big part of the reason why I started this poll. I've been frustrated with this too at times.
I wonder if it is the limitations of trading or signing that makes the game stagnant? It is inevitable that by the third season the team still needs to get more than two pieces to get over the hump. (I'm saying two because one for the trade and one that you sign for 2 million.)

I still like 1 for 1 trades though.

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:17 pm

For the most part I dont mind the 1 for 1 trade. What I think would help though is to add one more trade of a single player going out for a draft pick ( 1 only ) . There is always someone on my team who either doesn’t perform or doesn’t fit in with my team plans. Being able to dump that player at the deadline for a single draft pick would be good as it still allows more for development of a team.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:38 pm

timmy_t wrote:
bruins72 wrote:Interesting ideas, Batdad. I'd like to see what others think of that.

I wonder if it is the limitations of trading or signing that makes the game stagnant? It is inevitable that by the third season the team still needs to get more than two pieces to get over the hump. (I'm saying two because one for the trade and one that you sign for 2 million.)

I still like 1 for 1 trades though.
This is a good point Timmy. Maybe it is not the trade thing? Maybe need to loosen up Free Agency a bit? Let the guys sign one guy after year one....no matter the cost? Then go back to the other rules? Or have a one year exemption on FRee Agency after year 2.....actually I like this more. Rewards guys for continuing.

Between season 2 and season 3, maybe allow the guys a shot at signing Free Agents no matter the deal or $ amount??? Keep em playing longer?

Then allow it every 3 years?

Other 2 years following the normal rule of Free Agent claims.

Trading: Could still do that loosening up as well?

thunderbug
Checking Line
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Jets

Post by thunderbug » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:44 am

What about going back to the old Core, and home grown system. I kinda liked that. I liked the idea of being forced to develop your own guys.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:09 am

I liked the core and home grown system but it was confusing for some folks and a lot to manage. It also forced certain moves. I didn't like when I had to rush a player into the lineup or force one out due to the homegrown rule.

visualdarkness
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by visualdarkness » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:38 am

I like the 1 for 1 limitation as earlier it was way too easy to completly rip of the AI. I would rather see two trades at 1 for 1 rather than one 2 for 2, that would open it up a bit. Maybe allowing one trade before the first season starts could ease up the restricions? Though that would make things like "brutal goalie challenges" almost non-existing.

I think the main problem is how limited the tactics engine is combined with the lack of possibility to change the roster. I think many feel that they have to go ultra offensive on tactics and and click on a pre-made one, that together with a lack movement makes it kind of stale. If only I knew Batdads defence tactics. ;)

thunderbug
Checking Line
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Jets

Post by thunderbug » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:25 am

I doubt Batdan does the same tactics every challenge. While he keeps it defensive, its much more in your interest to tailor it to your squad.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:23 pm

Exactly my dear thunderbug. Things change. SOmetimes physical, sometimes not. Sometimes more offensive than others....varies between lines as well and players.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:24 pm

For UFA signings... how about 1 player for up to $3M or 2 players for up to $1M each? Or 1 player for up to $3M or 2 players for a combined $2M? Then maybe a special option to make 1 big signing going into season 4, 1 player up to $5M. This would be an incentive to keep playing the challenge longer. Is this too much? I know I often feel like my hands are tied during UFA season and that I don't really have the ability to do much. Thoughts?

And I've been thinking about what's been said about trades. I'm thinking about allowing one trade of 1 player for 1 player AND one trade of 1 player for 1 draft pick or 1 draft pick for 1 player. The draft pick would have to be no better than a 2nd rounder (no 1st rounders allowed). Does this seem fair? I don't want to make it too easy for people to build over-powered rosters (like in the past) but I'd like to make things a little more interesting for everyone.

I'm hoping that these two ideas would keep people interested in continuing to play the challenges for more than 1 or 2 seasons. I'd love to hear some feedback from my challenge regulars, people new to challenges, and people who've been thinking about participating but haven't joined in yet.

visualdarkness
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by visualdarkness » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:11 pm

batdad wrote:Exactly my dear thunderbug. Things change. SOmetimes physical, sometimes not. Sometimes more offensive than others....varies between lines as well and players.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant the knowledge of how to set the defensive tactics.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:24 pm

AH. That is easy. Play to the strengths of each and every player you have. And make sure that your naff players are mean silly billies.

B72--I like the ideas, they work for me.

Manimal
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: EHM Rosters Man
Favourite Team: Djurgårdens IF

Post by Manimal » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:30 pm

bruins72 wrote:For UFA signings... how about 1 player for up to $3M or 2 players for up to $1M each? Or 1 player for up to $3M or 2 players for a combined $2M? Then maybe a special option to make 1 big signing going into season 4, 1 player up to $5M. This would be an incentive to keep playing the challenge longer. Is this too much? I know I often feel like my hands are tied during UFA season and that I don't really have the ability to do much. Thoughts?

And I've been thinking about what's been said about trades. I'm thinking about allowing one trade of 1 player for 1 player AND one trade of 1 player for 1 draft pick or 1 draft pick for 1 player. The draft pick would have to be no better than a 2nd rounder (no 1st rounders allowed). Does this seem fair? I don't want to make it too easy for people to build over-powered rosters (like in the past) but I'd like to make things a little more interesting for everyone.

I'm hoping that these two ideas would keep people interested in continuing to play the challenges for more than 1 or 2 seasons. I'd love to hear some feedback from my challenge regulars, people new to challenges, and people who've been thinking about participating but haven't joined in yet.
Those ideas sounds good to me.
It will mean a little more work for you(or whoever helps out to check these things)

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:06 am

The challenge participants have been pretty active in policing each other. It shouldn't be too bad.

Return to “Challenge Forum”