Challenge 26 - Calgary Flames - Discussion Thread

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Challenge 26 - Calgary Flames - Discussion Thread

Post by bruins72 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:39 am

All Flames Challenge talk here!

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Re: Challenge 26 - Calgary Flames - Discussion Thread

Post by bruins72 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:30 pm

So has anyone else started the challenge yet? I'm only 3 games into the regular season. This Flames roster really isn't too bad. I think they could use some strength at center. I'm sure going into season 2 I'll be looking land a skilled center, either via UFA or trade. Cervenka is really just a placeholder for me. I'd rather use Stajan as a 3rd line center and have a real #1 or #2 center to go along with Backlund (who at the moment is really better suited toward being a #2). Cervenka would end up being trade-bait or #4 (at his salary, definitely trade-bait!). I'm really quite please with my wingers and my defense. Other than center, my only other concern, it's a long-term one, is the age of my best players. How many more seasons does Iggy have left in him before his physical attributes take a rapid decline? How long until Kipper starts to get bad? These guys are both 35. Tanguay is 32 (why did I think he was older?). Karlsson isn't bad in net and I signed Ramo (he's one of our unsigned RFAs) and assigned him to Abbotsford for the time being. I would have preferred him as my backup and Karlsson in the AHL but Ramo was eligible to go down without clearing waivers and Karlsson wasn't.

timmy_t
Stanley Cup Winner
Custom Rank: TIMMAH TEEEEE!!!!
Favourite Team: Colorado Avalanche

Post by timmy_t » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:14 pm

I think I'm going to try to get a couple of seasons in on this one. I built a new computer over the summer so I need to un-license my wife's computer and set mine up. I am really looking forward to the new rules. :-)

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:38 pm

Im up and going in this one.,but it didnt start so good.Lost Tanguay for 3 months in the last preseason game.
I signed Ramo as well but he is still playing for Avangard and wont transfer until season 2. Sven Bartschi had a great training camp and preseason but was sent back to jrs. Ive got lots of depth on the wings right now.
This team is lacking in good centers and overall speed is a bit slow.Sarich is a bit of a load on defense but dont have too many options.Im alternating him with Derek Smith on the 3rd pair with Chris Butler.
We lost the first 2 games against the Oilers and are now 4-3 .Kiprusoff is finding his form and Iginla has 4g 6a in 7 games. Lance Bouma and Greg Nemisz are getting in some good games as well.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:56 pm

outdooral wrote:Im up and going in this one.,but it didnt start so good.Lost Tanguay for 3 months in the last preseason game.
Ouch! That's not a good start.
outdooral wrote:I signed Ramo as well but he is still playing for Avangard and wont transfer until season 2.
Really? He was released by them on September 5th in my game.
outdooral wrote:Sven Bartschi had a great training camp and preseason but was sent back to jrs. Ive got lots of depth on the wings right now.
I had already decided I was keeping Bartschi in the AHL for the season, so I didn't even bring him into training camp. I only invited my unsigned prospects. He's doing quite well in the AHL. He's got 19 points in 14 games so far with the Heat.
outdooral wrote:This team is lacking in good centers and overall speed is a bit slow.Sarich is a bit of a load on defense but dont have too many options.Im alternating him with Derek Smith on the 3rd pair with Chris Butler.
I started off with TJ Brodie as my bottom pairing LD but I really couldn't find a good fit for him on any special teams line, so he wasn't really getting ice time. He's still young and has some up-side so after a couple game with the Flames, I sent him down to the Heat. He's got 15 points in 13 games so far down there. I gave Butler 11 games to win the bottom pairing LD job but he ended up with no points and a -9. Now I'm trying Smith. He's got no points and is -1 in 5 games so far. It looks like I'm going to be stuck going back and forth between them. Sarich is really dragging us down in the bottom pairing RD too. He's got 1 point and a -15 in 17 games so far. He's won 2 out of his 3 fights though. He also leads the team in PIM. Maybe I should consider bringing up Carson from the AHL?
outdooral wrote:We lost the first 2 games against the Oilers and are now 4-3 .Kiprusoff is finding his form and Iginla has 4g 6a in 7 games. Lance Bouma and Greg Nemisz are getting in some good games as well.
Strangely, my head scout, Tod Button, considers Iggy a 2nd line player. I'm not sure I quite get that. He's got 22 points in 17 games so far, split evenly between goals and assists. Karlsson has had 3 losses in the 3 games he's started, so I've really been leaning on Kipper so far. I think he's done pretty well. I find myself liking Bouma. He's still young and has some nice mental attributes along with decent skill for his age. He's bounced between the 3rd and 4th lines and gotten lots of PK time.

I haven't had Nemisz on my Flames roster yet. He's in the same boat as Bartschi. He's doing very well on the Heat though. He's got 21 points in 14 games. Maybe I should bring him up and give him a go at center? Cervenka really isn't cutting it. I experimented with Roman Horak, bringing him up for 7 games. He was my 2nd line center and played 2nd PP. He only had 2 points in those 7 games. He's just not ready. So maybe it's time to give Nemisz a shot?

Círyatan
Leading Scorer
Custom Rank: Eagle eyes!

Post by Círyatan » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:06 am

I'm in!

I've seen the rules changes and I'm not sure I like them... I'd've preferred to leave it as it used to be (or go back to the 2 for 2 trades), but we'll see how it goes. Might be interesting to have something change once in a while.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:46 pm

I think the rule changes might actually be a little more restrictive than the old 2 for 2 trades. You could pull off some really big trades with those 2 for 2 deals. The extra trade in the new rules is really one to add depth or allow for rebuilding. I think the UFA signing change has been long overdue. The minimum player salary was lower when we first implemented that rule. UFA signings got to be almost useless in recent challenges.

Anyhow, I'm glad to see you in the mix!

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:51 pm

posted my first quarter stats. I cant seem to find any consistency with this team . We are in 10th place with 21 pts. Kiprusoff has just been kind of average for me 2.81GAA 91.2 Sv%
The most positive thing is my PP. Im at 19.5 % , much higher then I can usually get in a challenge. Bouma is doing ok 1G, 4A, +1,7.15 Rating Playing mostly 3rd line and some Pk. Nemisz is hot and cold as the 4th center 1G, 3A, -4, 6.47 rating.
I cant wait to get Tanguay back.

tinyheed
Prospect

Post by tinyheed » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:01 pm

Started awful, got average, then went on great run from 8-18. Iginla and giordino killing it for me, Kiprusoff so-so at about 90.2Sv%. PK the best of any challenge ive been in, onwards and upwards. Oh and only 4pts separate 1st-10th incredibly tight conf.

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:41 pm

Second attempt at a write up of season 1.I wrote a pretty good one but when I went to submit it I got logged off....

Anyways will try again. Finished season 1 and overall did pretty good. I got Tanguay back Jan 1st and he provided some good spark to the offense, but we ran into a lot of other injuries. No one was out for long , but we had multiple guys out at at a time. I played one game without Iginla, Kiprusoff,Backlund, and Giordano. Somehow we won 3-1 with two goals by Jackman. I wanted to send Bouma and Nemisz back down to Abbotsford but had to keep them up due to the injuries. They both struggled in the NHL and needed more development time.The last week in Feb we finally got everyone healthy, I was able to send them down to the AHL where they both went on a tear to move Abbotsford up into a playoff spot ( I dont manage my affiliates in the challenge).

We finally put together a good run of games including a 6 game win streak in march and coasted into the playoffs in 6th spot. All good except we lost Stajan and Cervenka in the last 2 games of the regular season. I went to call up Nemisz but he was on IR with a fractured leg, so it was Horak who got the call to start the playoffs against Chicago.

We played an awful first game, Kiprusoff was pulled in the first period after allowing 3 goals on 9 shots and lost 4-2. Game 2 we won in OT 3-2 on a point shot by Babchuk.We lost the next 2 games 5-2 and 1-0 . Game 5 saw us win 3-1 but we lost Giordano (10 days). Game 6 we win 4-0 and tie up the series. game 7 we take a 1-0 lead into the second period and then lose Cammalleri ( 3months) and Tanguay to injury and Chicago wins 4-1 outshooting us 50-18.

No one had a stellar season so probably wont even be nominated for any awards but the team is pretty good.I think Jackman was my biggest suprise, he played 78 games had 12 goals ( 3 game winners) 14 assists and was +3 .

on to the draft and the off season.
Need to look at getting help at center and bolstering the defense.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:29 am

It sounds like you had a much better season than I did. We were in 6th place after the 3rd quarter of the season and then went in a downward spiral. We finished 10th. One problum was Kipper. He was so strong for us earlier in the season but he fell apart down the stretch. Early on his was getting 8's, 9's, and 10's. In that last quarter season he was getting lots of 5's, 6's, and 7's mixed in. I also struggled with centers. I ended up using Nemisz as my 2nd line center for a good portion of the season and he missed a couple weeks due to injury in February. I lost Stajan for the last couple weeks of the season. I also couldn't really settle on a #2 RW. I used Hudler there on the 2nd PP unit but liked him at LW otherwise. He was the LW playmaker on my 3rd line. Comeau, Bouma, and Stempniak were always shuffling spots on the RW throughout the season with none of them really owning it. Oh and Cervenka is just terrible. If I can't use him for my trade, I need to bury him in the AHL. What a piece of trash!

I've still got to get to the draft and offseason. I just can't believe how bad this team performed for me. It can only get better... right?

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:56 pm

Cervenka was decent for me 16G 46A, +6, 7.44 rating .Played most of the season as #2 center.I played Stempniak as #2 RW and he was also ok there,24G 34 A,+2, 7.22 rating and played all 82 games.Hudler was down on the 3rd or 4th line 10G 12A in 72 games. Sounds like we did have very different seasons.

batdad
The Great One
Custom Rank: Mr Technology
Favourite Team: Syracuse Bulldogs.

Post by batdad » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:14 pm

LOL Flames having issues with the C position. EHM is so realistic. Stajan as anywhere between their top guy and 5th guy....what a trade that Phaneuf deal was.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:29 pm

So the Rangers and the Canucks met in the Stanley Cup Finals in my game. The Rangers ended up winning it in five games. The Rangers also dominated the season awards winning the Ross, Masterson, Smythe, Adams, Richard, Vezina, and Plus-Minus. My Flames had one award winner and it's for the award that makes me want to vomit. Tanquay won the Lady Byng and Cammelleri was the runner-up for it. Blech! :-x

The draft came around and we had the 13th pick. Before it got to our pick, there seemed to be a lot of picks off the board. The craziest was the Jets taking Josh Morrissey with the #2 overall pick. He was ranked 13th. If he had been available still when I picked 13th, I would have passed on him and taken Seth Jones, who was ranked #26 (and taken 20th). There were some other head-scratchers too but this one was the worst. Anyhow, here is my draft...

1st #13 Elias Lindholm C/RW SWE 6'0" 187 lbs
I was torn between taking Lindholm and Jones. I really wanted Jones (probably due to his real life buzz) but ended up taking Lindholm because he looked better and I wanted to add depth at center.

3rd #73 Bo Horvat C CAN 5'10" 194 lbs
I didn't realize that we were without our 2nd round pick (and 5th) until the draft took place. I ended up taking another center. Horvat looked like more of a 2-way center that could work one of my bottom 2 lines at some point.

4th #103 Brandon Devlin RD CAN 6'1" 189 lbs
I figured I'd better draft some defense and Devlin looked like the best available at this point in the draft. He's a defensive defenseman but he's not very physical.

6th #163 Marc McCoy C CAN 6'2" 200 lbs
And back to center we go! I really liked this guy and almost took him in the 3rd round, so I couldn't pass him up when he was still available here. He's supposed to be like a poor man's Handzus. I like his mental attributes and he's physical. I'm looking forward to see how he pans out.

7th #193 Nikita Zadorov LD RUSH 6'4" 207 lbs
And with my final pick I took an unranked Russian defenseman. He's big and looks to have decent tools. Best case scenario, he could be a steal. Worst case, he's a depth or AHL guy. Not bad for a 7th round pick.

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:58 am

Did my draft as well.1rst rnd 19th overall I took Andre Burakovsky LW. I need another winger like a hole in the head but he was by far the best available
Took a bit of a chance on the 2nd pick...David Nemecek LD 6'4'' with 17s in Strength, Aggression,Agility,Acceleration. 18 teamwork and 16 work rate. My scouts only rate him as a 7th dman and say he is unambitious, we'll see.

3rd Victor Antipin a 20 y/o dman from Russia
4th Marc Macoy C I like the looks of him as well.
5th Alec Macrea 6'3" RD with 18 anticipation.
Lots of interesting centers available as Free Agents, decided on.......Travis Zajac, big, solid, gritty, offered him a bit more then he was asking to make sure I got him. 2.5 for 1st season 2.8 for the following.
Nice to be able to spend a bit more for a change.

batdad
The Great One
Custom Rank: Mr Technology
Favourite Team: Syracuse Bulldogs.

Post by batdad » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:09 am

I am a bit confused here, and maybe it is just that outdooral did not post rounds but his selections in number order? But how in season 1 draft with no trades allowed does B72 have 5 picks (1st,3rd,4th,6th,7th) and outdooral 5 (1st, 2nd, 3rd,4th and 5th)...not to mention he has a 5th and B72 does not?

As I type I bet that is the explanation....Nemecek is a 3rd rounder Antipin 4th and Macoy 6th, Macrea 7th?

Bah sorry...

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:03 am

Correct

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:07 am

Sent Sarich to the Jets for a 3rd during the July trade window. Will wait until later for my player for player deal. I'm trying to sign Zajac as a UFA too, offering more than he's asking. I had considered making an offer to Filppula but I think Zajac is a better fit.

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:07 pm

Ok that was frustrating. I went to post a nice preseaon write up and got booted off again as I submitted it.

2nd try

Just once I’d like to get through the preseason without any injuries. Not bad this time but Im starting without Stempniak and Hudler. Actually the whole preseason wasnt too good.
We only won 2 out of 7 games, and I made a mistake and had to put Chris Butler on waivers where he was taken by Anaheim. Anaheim took 3 or 4 guys from waivers early ...What a bunch of poachers.

Ramo and Bartschi both start their Pro careers in Abbotsford. Im going to keep TJ Brodie up this year so my starting lines look like this.

Tanguay-Zajac-Iginla
Cammalleri-Backlund-Nemisz
Glencross-Stajan-Comeau
Bouma-Cervenka-Jackman

Giordano-Babchuk
Boumeester-Wideman
Brodie-Smith/Sarich

Kiprusoff/Karlsson

Stempniak and Hudler are on IR. Im waiting on both my trades.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:34 pm

That's odd that you keep getting that. I'd suggest copying your text before you hit the "post" button when you're writing long posts. I usually do that, just in case. Also, if I go "Back" with my browser, sometimes it's still there.

I had Bartschi and Ramo both playing in the AHL in season 1. Both did exceptionally well. IIRC, Bartchi won the Rookie of the Year for the AHL and the scoring title. I might be wrong about the scoring title though. I don't have the game loaded right now. I brought Ramo up and managed to send Karlsson down during that no-waivers window (I can never remember when it is, so I keep checking to see if I can send down). I'm grooming Ramo to be the starter, maybe by season 3. If that happens, maybe I can trade Kipper for a pick in season 3? Would a 2nd rounder really be enough for him though? Anyhow, Bartschi... I so wanted to bring him onto my Flames roster this season but I really couldn't find a spot where he'd have a decent role. He's an offense kind of guy, so I'd want to start him on 2nd or 3rd line LW and 2nd PP LW. With Tanguay and Cammalleri as my top 2 LWs, I really can't do that. I can't bump one of those guys for him. So he has to wait a bit. Maybe Tanguay will get traded next season to make room for him? We'll see. I also wanted to bring up Brodie but I can't justify it. He's an offensive defenseman. I've got too many of them! He'd be terrible as a 3rd pairing guy with no PP time and he's not going to be a PK guy. Got to keep him in the AHL.

IIRC, I'm almost done with my preseason and only lost a couple games. I'm hoping these guys get it together this season. The addition of Zajac should be a huge help. I want to get rid of Cervenka though. I don't like him. I do like Nemisz but NOT at center. I'd rather him at RW and I just don't have any openings at RW right now. I think I might have sent him down to the AHL.

smokey
Minor League
Favourite Team: HIFK, Charlestown Chiefs, Flyers

Post by smokey » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:51 am

This is a fun challenge, a chance to try something different. I've mostly coached in the juniors/minors and usually taken a very defensive or at least a very cautious direct approach, but seeing how the team doesn't have enough defensive forwards and how Hartley seems to like a more offensive tactic, I thought I'd try to make offense a priority. For example, I hired an offensive minded assistant coach to further improve my offensive skills. So far it's been working out pretty well. I've nearly scored a hundred goals in my first 20 games and although I have allowed quite a few goals myself, I'm still on top of the western. I think I might have coached a bit too much in the juniors since I see at least six potential 50 goal scorers on the team ??!! So far the points have spread out quite evenly among the players as I start each game with equal ice-time among the forward lines and only switch to normal ice-time distribution or a three line tactic if I'm not getting enough production from the bottom lines. Never the less a fun change in my usual approach to the game.

I'm not favoring anyone in the lineup and so Sven Bartschi is currently on my top line with Backlund and Iginla. Cammaleri is on my fourth line, but I keep a steady rotation going on. So far the biggest surprise has been Horak, who's centering my second line. He got the rookie of the month award and is producing well. Other youngsters getting regular ice-time include TJ Brodie (7.50 avg), Chris Butler, Paul Byron, Lance Bouma and Bartschi who -after recovering from a long time injury- has five points in his six games with a 7.67 avg.

So far I've had a whopping 10 games where I've scored 5 goals or more, including some real goal-fests against Minny (6-4), Detroit (6-4, 7-3) Dallas (8-4) and Edmonton (7-5, 8-2). The two games vs The Oil were crazy, real "Battle of Alberta"-stuff.

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:54 pm

15 games in and we are struggling. 6-7-2 and in 10th place. Having trouble scoring so Im kind of envious of Smokeys’ goal production.

Im in no hurry to rush Bartschi up either. He will need to play lots when he does come up and we have several good wingers already on this team.

Thinking of making my 1for1 trade for a solid defensive Dman. Mike Commodore always seems to be available but not sure I want him.

On the positive side I took a look at the prospects in Abbotsford and they are 10-0. being led by outstanding goaltending from Ramo 1.45 GAA, .952 SV %, and a 9.44 rating and Bartschi 14 G 11 A +9, 9.7 rating NICE !!

smokey
Minor League
Favourite Team: HIFK, Charlestown Chiefs, Flyers

Post by smokey » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:45 am

I really don't see much of a choice here. Kipper's been average at best and he has his off-days almost every other night. I also don't see enough toughness or grit on the team to rely on any kind of defense. So I'm trying the opposite, meaning more puck-control and constant pressure with four attacking lines.

Syvis
Top Prospect
Favourite Team: Tampa Bay Lightning

Post by Syvis » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:51 pm

Completed my first season and missed the playoffs by one point. I was sitting at 6th place in the conference with still a shot to beat Oilers for the third spot when the whole team went to a deep freeze and the Blues rose to the 8th spot in their last game of the season. Iginla was setting the example by scoring pathetic three goals in the last 12 games after scoring 42 goals before the slump. I also lost Giordano after 35 games for the rest of the season which really hurt us although Dennis Wideman won the Norris Trophy (I'd want some of that stuff the people who were choosing Norris winner used).

I'm now going to the training camp and there has been one major change. I was able to sign Travis Zajac from Free Agency to become my #1 center and pushing Backlund to #2 spot which better suits him at this stage of his career. I chose not to extend Roman Cervenka as he was way too inconsistant and wasn't really a NHL #2 center. I'm now quite happy with my centers as I have Zajac, Backlund and Stajan, who won the Selke trophy, as my top three centers. The fourth spot will be decided in the camp. I'll probably let Bärtschi dominate AHL for one more year and let him take Cammalleri's spot next year.

I hope to make the playoffs in the second season. To achieve that goal, I'll be trying to trade for a defensive defenseman once the season starts as there really isn't any defensive defensemen in my team besides Sarich and he's too slow.

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:06 pm

=D> =D> 60 games into season 2 and we are in a tight race in the west. 6 pts separate 4th-9th place. We are currently in 5th with 72 pts. Its going to be a tough finish for us though. Just lost Iginla for a month and Boumeester for 3 months.

I made my 1 for 1 trade in early November. Moved out Hudler to the Canandians for Alexi Emelin. A solid stay at home Dman that we were missing and took 2 million off my salary in the process. I dont think I’ll be making the other trade. I dont have an older guy to move out other then Sarich and it looks like I’ll need him with Boumeester out.

Overall the team is playing well. Our PK is 2nd overall at 86.6 %. Emelin has been a great addition there. PP is still terrible and getting worse. Down to 14.5%.....I really dont understand it.

Abbotsford is still running way ahead in the Ahl. 43-11-2 and have already qualified for the playoffs.
Ramo, Bartschi, Horak and Blair Jones all played in the All Star game. Guess who won the MVP with 3 goals and an assist......Blair Jones...No Adam Oates. =Dhttp://www.ehmtheblueline.com/forums/posting.p ... 20&t=10113#>

Return to “Challenge Forum”