Challenge 26 - Calgary Flames - Discussion Thread

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

outdooral
Minor League

Re: Challenge 26 - Calgary Flames - Discussion Thread

Post by outdooral » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:08 pm

oops .those applause guys were supposed to go at the end for Blair Jones.

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:20 pm

Season 2 is done. We finished 5th in the West with 95 pts, but it wasnt easy. 6 pts separated 4th from 9th. 2 weeks after losing Boumeester for 3 months and Iginla for a month Zajac goes out for a month. We lost 5 in a row and dropped into 9th place. I brought back Iginla early at only 85% I think. and we finished strong winning 7 0f the last 10 games.

We got the Coyotes in the first round of the playoffs and went down 3 games to one before coming back to win the series 4-3.

The West semi finals has us up against St Louis who finished 3rd in the west with 108 pts. We drop the first 2 games 5-1 and 4-5. Then we get it together winning the next 3 3-1,4-1,and 3-2 (OT). Game 6 is close but we lose 5-4 and lose game 7 as well 4-3.

St.Louis goes on to win the west Finals against Chicago and the Stanley Cup over Buffalo.

Alexei Emelin was a solid addition to the team and really helped the Pk which was 4th best at 86%. he does have some downside as he was 2nd in the league with 84 giveaways.
Tanguay led the team with 42 goals and Iginla had 84 pts. Kiprusoff was much more reliable and consistant after the first quarter and had a 2.53GAA and a 91.7 SV %

Cammalleri had a poor season 21G 27 A, -16, and only a 6.95 rating. and ended up being bounced around the lineup He did pick it up in the playoffs but does not want to negotiate a new contract and has turned down the 3 I have offered him. I dont really wasnt to lose him, but at his salary and with Bartchi ready I just might let him go.

Again no awards for anyone on the Flames but Abbotsford did well. Winning the Calder Cup and Ramo and Bartchi winning several awards.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Post by bruins72 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:48 pm

I really want to play this challenge but I haven't really had any time to play lately. My goal is to finish the second season at least. I'd really like to do more though.

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:05 pm

Im going to try to get through season 3 .Im keen to bring up Bartchi and Ramo and I have a few ideas on Free agents or trades Id like to try and get.

thunderbug
Checking Line
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Jets

Post by thunderbug » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:25 pm

It's been a while since I've played this so my writeup won't be as precise. So as many of you have seen we don't have much in the way of defensive talent on the roster. I played into that just kept pushing offense all season. At the end of the regular season Calgary was first in the conference. Jarome Iginla won the Hart, Richard, and Art Ross. He had 60 goals and 70 assists. Alex Tanguay was the runner up for the Richard with 50 something goals (I want to say 52 or 58 but don't remember off the top of my head and not at my normal comupter). Giordano ended up bringing in the Norris, and that surprised me as I didn't think any of my defensemen would be in the running. Yes we scored a ton of points and won some games, but we let in a bunch too. After doing well in the regular season the Flames, flamed out in game 7 of the conference semi finals. I believe that game went to OT. After the playoffs we looked to regroup. The draft was awful. I'm hoping to get maybe 2 players that will be able to play bottom 6 minutes at some point from this draft. Once January first hit I targetted 2 players. Kari Lehtonen and Zajac. Zajac signed with us and so he will be playing first line between our two goal scorers. As I decided on Zajac I let Lehtonen go elsewhere. At this point we are ready to start season 2. Here's to hoping for another good year.

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:10 pm

Another preseason another big injury. Mark Giordano is out for 3 months.Other then that I think I had an ok off season.

I didnt resign Cammallerri, and made 2 free agent signings. Patric Hornqvist for 2 seasons at 2.2 per. Im hoping he will add some scoring to the weak PP as well as being good defensively. I also signed Brian Sutherby as a true #4 center for $485,00 Great on faceoffs and checking. That leaves me able to try and move Cervenka. I also traded Sarich to the Jets for a 3rd round pick in the next draft.

The draft was pretty good.

1st pick 21st overall Vladislav Boyko 6’2” 198 lb Russian Center. playing for CSKA
2nd Collin Shirley 6’ 2” 178 lb Canadian (Saskatoon) C/LW Kootenay
3rd Aaron Irving 6’ 187 lb Canadian (Edmonton) Defensive defenceman , Kamloops
4th Kord Pankewicz 5’ 11” Canadian ( Leduc Alberta) C/LW/LD, playing for the Calgary Hitmen
5th Nikita Zadorov 6’4” 205 lb Russian LD I like my Russian dmen
6th Miles Warkentine 6’1 180 lb Canadian (Prince Albert Sk) RW/C playing for Moosejaw
7th Riley Boomgaarden 6’ 4” 202 lb Canadian ( alberta) LD playing for Medicine Hat.

2 Russians and 5 from Western Canada for that homegrown feel.

Ramo is coming up to be the #2 goalie and will get his share of starts.
Bartschi is also going to start in the NHL for the first 10 games and we’ll see how that goes.

Lampi
Learning to skate

Post by Lampi » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:40 pm

Is there anyone still playing this challenge? I'm thinking about starting my first time ever. :-)

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Post by bruins72 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:59 pm

The challenge is set to end tomorrow. I guess we could extend it for a little bit. My guess is that we won't start another challenge until the next set of rosters is released.

Lampi
Learning to skate

Post by Lampi » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:31 pm

bruins72 wrote:The challenge is set to end tomorrow. I guess we could extend it for a little bit. My guess is that we won't start another challenge until the next set of rosters is released.

Oh, I see. Well then I'll wait for the next challenge I guess :) Might just start a game with the Flames anyway.

Lampi
Learning to skate

Post by Lampi » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:21 pm

Lampi wrote:
bruins72 wrote:The challenge is set to end tomorrow. I guess we could extend it for a little bit. My guess is that we won't start another challenge until the next set of rosters is released.

Oh, I see. Well then I'll wait for the next challenge I guess :) Might just start a game with the Flames anyway.

What a great start... Kipper gone 4 months from beginning of November... ](*,)

Return to “Challenge Forum”