Challenge #27 - Toronto Maple Leafs - Discussion Topic

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Re: Challenge #27 - Toronto Maple Leafs - Discussion Topic

Post by bruins72 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:34 pm

I logged my first 20 games of the second season. I made my 1-for-1 deal shortly after trading opened back up in October. I sent MacArthur to the Flyers for Brayden Schenn. Sure, the Laughs traded his brother to the Flyers last season. Maybe I'll try to get him back on the Leafs next season? Anyhow, I this has balanced my lines a bit. I was able to move Grabovsky to the LW now and I've got a really solid top 2 lines. I tried having Barkov center my third line but he really wasn't getting enough ice time. It was hard to find a spot for him on the PP. He had 7 points in 13 games with us before I sent him down to the AHL. His morale was taking a beating. Since joining the Marlies, he's got 8 points in 8 games and seems to be doing better. To replace him, I brought up Deschamps. I was going to bring up Kadri but he would have to pass through waivers first.

I still haven't made my pick for player deal. I do want to bring in a solid vet though. I'd like to get a grinding, defense-oriented RW. Or maybe a 2-way defenseman?

Oh and Kessel and JVR are #'s 2 and 4 in the league in goal-scoring. We've got some fire-power!

jesterx7769
Fourth Line

Post by jesterx7769 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:08 am

are you playing them on the same even strength line? JVR seems to dominate the goals for me leaving Kessel lacking

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:50 pm

Nope. I've been playing them on different lines most of the time. Right now I've got Kessel on the first and JVR on the second. On that first line I've got Connolly centering Grabovsky and Kessel. My second line has Schenn centering JVR and Kulyomin. The line that I can't seem to get working is my third line. I started off with Barkov there but he wasn't getting enough icetime and I didn't want to stunt his development. I wanted to bring Kadri up and have him center that line but he'd have to pass through waivers. I ended up bringing Deschamps up and putting him on the LW there (Komarov has been terrible for me) with Bozak centering and Lupul on the RW. That line should be able to do something. It's not happening though. I hate Bozak. I had him sitting originally because he didn't perform for me in season 1.

jesterx7769
Fourth Line

Post by jesterx7769 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:47 am

Just finished and uploaded 27.2 Q1, WOW what a difference a year makes! Currently in 4th place in conference after Q1. In the off season I signed Mike Smith, not sure how some people haven't as he was asking for 2.3 and I gave him 2.9. Traded Reimer for D Josh Gorges from Canadiens then 4th rd pick for Cheechoo. The first 10 games I had 13%PP which ticked me off and made go read through lots of forum posts again to change tactics, now im at 19%. PK is still the biggest weakness and in offseason I will try to get some help with defense and get some PK 3rd/4th line players in so I just dont have young centers making up those lines. Salary cap is also a problem as I have it budgeted RIGHT on the line, but I likely will not resign Komissark (sp) for his whopping 4.5mill to play 3rd line D

Bruins I agree with you on Komarov, he has been awful getting bad ratings and way too many penalties. Bozak and Kadri are the same for me going up and down with neither one wanting to win my 3rd string C job. I keep Barkov on my roster for training but only play him sporadically due to injuries/low morale. Tried your Schenn trade before I did mine and they laughed at me, I'll have to wait until a good Center is put on the trade block next year to improve but that is low priority now as Lupul is doing fine

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:56 pm

Mike Smith is really good in my game. The Wild let Backstrom go UFA and the Predators signed him for $3.6M. The Wild then went and picked up Mike Smith as a UFA for $4.2M. I really wish I could have gotten one of them. My Budaj signing really isn't working out. He's stinking up the joint. I'm 37 games into season 2 and Budaj is 10-13-4 with a GAA of 4.30 and a SV% of 0.875. I've gone back to Reimer as my starter. He's 7-2-1 with a GAA of 4.05 and a SV% of 0.868. His stats aren't much different than Budaj's but the team is winning more with him in net.

My PK is still horrible at about 74%. My PP is right around what seems to be the average in my conference with about 18%. My team is definitely putting up points though. Kessel is the league's leading goalscorer with 30 so far. JVR is not far behind with 22. JVR is second in the league in points though. He's got 54, just two less than Ovechkin. Kessel has 52 and Connolly has 51. Right now we've got the most Goals For in the league with 153 and Vancouver is right behind us with 152. Unfortunately, our goals against is second worst in the league with 162. Only the Coyotes are worse with 165.

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:27 pm

Nice trade Bruins. I was looking at a few Philly forwards before I made my trade for Alzner. (Talbot and Read) ,didnt even inquire about Schenn as I didnt think they’d let him go.
That said I really like Alzner. He played 71 games had 5G 16 A -3 and a 7.35 rating. He really improved on the 1st line with Phanuef.

Mike smith signed with the Islanders, go figure, for 3.5m and went out after 19 games with a torn MCL.

I got Backstrom for 3m and he has a .905 sv% and 3.11 GAA, but really turned it around in the last quarter.

Komarov is an enigma, one game he’ll get some pts and a 8 or 9 rating then go into the tank for several games getting 5’s.
Mac Arthur and Bozak have been poor as well.

So I finished season 2 and.......am heading to the playoffs vs Boston.
We had a great run to end the season in 7th place with 92 pts
Our PP was weak at 16.2% but PK was 4th overall at 86.3. Kulyomin led the team with 45 g, taking over for JVR who was out for 3 months but came back March 23 in time to help get us to the playoffs. Kessel had 33g 60A.

the season series against Boston was equal at 3-3-2 so we’ll see what happens in the playoffs. They have tons of talent though,picking up Iginla and Cammalleri to go with Sequin,Krejci, Bergeron and Savard....Talk about depth.

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:54 pm

Accidentally left Reimer in net for game 1, he stopped 33 of 35 shots for the 3rd star and we won 6-2. Now i have a goaltending controversy.

jesterx7769
Fourth Line

Post by jesterx7769 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:34 pm

bruins72 wrote:Mike Smith is really good in my game. The Wild let Backstrom go UFA and the Predators signed him for $3.6M. The Wild then went and picked up Mike Smith as a UFA for $4.2M.

That stinks. The Wild signed Howard in my game which is probably why I was able to get Smith.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:35 pm

outdooral wrote: Mike smith signed with the Islanders, go figure, for 3.5m and went out after 19 games with a torn MCL.
Well that's what he gets for signing with the Islanders! :-p

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:47 pm

Yup pretty funny.

Kessel got hurt in the first period of game 2 but we won 2-1. Then won games 3 and 4 also 2-1 for the sweep. I love my defence.
8th place New Jersey beat out the first place Capitals, so both top seed are out. We get the Rangers in round 2.

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:11 pm

And we’re done. Lost in game 7 to the Rangers.

jesterx7769
Fourth Line

Post by jesterx7769 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:49 am

Finished season 27.2, after changing lines and tactics had a much improved season. Mike Smith and a new defender made a world of difference allowing the offense to put up lots of points. Lost in the second round to the Capitals :-( however 108 regular season points is good enough I would say. My PP% increased 7% between seasons, probably should have focused on those tactics more in season one. Kessel lead league in goals, Grabovsky led in points.

The big problem is now deciding what to do with the roster in FA/trades, hmmm.
-I really want a second line center as face offs killed me last year. Lupul was my 2nd line center who played well points wise but barely won any face offs and putting him on line 3/spot starting would be best. Bozak has 17 face off rating but he really does not have top talent compared to what I want and would rather keep him on line 3. However there are very few UFA's with good f/o ability and not sure who I could give up in a trade for a good one.
-A top defenseman is an option but I feel my guys are capable right now after trading for one last year.
-I may resort to just signing two defensive minded forwards for the $2mill total. It isn't sexy but putting them on the fourth line and PK lines would be a help.

smokey
Minor League
Favourite Team: HIFK, Charlestown Chiefs, Flyers
NOHL Team: Flyers

Post by smokey » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:49 pm

darn, I got fired just when I thought things were coming together. I did lose Kessel for four months, but I thought the team had enough depth to see it through. Well, guess I'll never find out.

So anyway, managed only 12 games in season two before getting the boot and I'll end it here. A few positive things to get out of this game however. Both David Clarkson and Dan Ellis played well, so getting those two for less than 2 mill was the best move I made during the two seasons. Clarkson was really everything you could hope from a power forward. Nazem Kadri, who I doubted would ever develop into anything, actually succeeded in cementing a spot on the top two lines. In hindsight, losing McArthur through waivers was a costly mistake. The injuries to Reimer (gone for four months during the first season) and Kessel (gone for the first four months of the second) were huge losses and the team just couldn't cope without them. I also noticed that simplifying things tactically to season two and using a three line tactic, would've saved me a few points during season one, but then again, it's all speculation. Without Reimer, my game fell apart and what bad karma the team gained over the first season carried over to the next.

batdad
The Great One
Custom Rank: Mr Technology
Favourite Team: Syracuse Bulldogs.

Post by batdad » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:02 am

In the challenges you can re add yourself as the GM and take over again.

smokey
Minor League
Favourite Team: HIFK, Charlestown Chiefs, Flyers
NOHL Team: Flyers

Post by smokey » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:36 pm

batdad wrote:In the challenges you can re add yourself as the GM and take over again.
I know, and I thought about it, but decided not to. I'd rather continue my Blades game and wait for the next challenge.

jesterx7769
Fourth Line

Post by jesterx7769 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:57 am

Just finished and uploaded 27.3 Q1 stats. After getting to round 2 in playoffs last year I actually did not have high hopes for this year. My player moves were signing Ryan Callahan even though RW was my strongest position. I could not pass up signing a top player for 5 years though despite defense being biggest need. He has been playing on my 3rd line, 2nd PP, and 1st PK so hes not your average 3rd liner. I tried trading MacArthur for every decent center and wound up with the Wild trading me for Zajac who is now my 2nd line center and doing well. Then traded 6th rd pick for Greg Campbell who can play C/LW/RW from a defensive prospective.

Still pumping out the goals but will probably lose in the playoffs with my lack of defense. I have promoted Nikita Tryamkin to play 3rd D and on PK since I did not resign Komisarek.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:46 pm

I'm sure participation in the challenge is going to drop from this point on since so many people are trying out the FHM beta. I'm still plugging away though.

As frustrating as this team is, I'm having some fun. I squeaked my way into the playoffs. It all came down to the last game of the season for me and the Jets. I won my final game vs the Bruins and they lost their final game vs the Hurricanes. We were dead even in points but Toronto had more wins, so we were able to claim the final playoff spot. Of course, we're facing the President's Trophy winning Capitals in the first round (we've already lost game 1 in OT). It should be an interesting matchup. The Caps and the Leafs are the two top scoring teams in the league. Ovechkin lead the league in goals with 67, followed by Kessel with 61. Nathan Horton (now a Cap, signed as a UFA in the offseason) was 4th with 51, while Grabovsky was 5th with 50. Washington had a 30 goal scorer too. We had JVR with 49, Kulyomin with 45, and Connolly with 31. We had 4 players with 100+ points, they had 3. I see a lot of goals being scored in this series!

I'm not sure who is available when it comes to UFAs (I still really need a top notch goaltender) or who I may be able to trade for in the off-season but I'm excited about a few of my prospects. Kadri is developing down in the AHL but I really don't see a spot for him on my Leafs team. Maybe I can use him as trade bait? Barkov is coming along nicely but I don't think I need to rush him to the NHL. He's been playing with my AHL affiliate. Morgan Rielly will join me AHL affiliate next season. I don't he's quite ready for the big team yet. I've got a few unsigned prospects, European players that I drafted, that could challenge for rosters spots next season though. Nikita Zadorov is a big (6'5" 227 lbs) LD. My scouts compare him to a poor man's Shea Weber. He was a 5th rounder! I've also got a winger, Denis Kamayev, that will be ready to join my AHL affiliate next season. He's got some decent skills. My scouts figure him for an eventual 2nd liner and compare him to s smaller Peter Mueller. He was my 6th rounder. I've also got a nice prospect at center in Lithuanian Daniel Bogdziul. I'll be looking to sign him for my AHL roster. He's got average size but some nice attributes all across the board. My scouts compare him to either a poor man's Derek Roy or Matthew Lombardi with a slower stride. I got this guy in the 7th round! My one other prospect that I'm excited about is big (6'4" 214 lbs) RW Kevin Duane. He's played for Boston University this season and scored at better than a point a game pace. He's strong and aggressive. My scouts say he's like a poor man's Nathan Horton. He was my 3rd rounder. Overall, the future looks pretty bright. I sure do need some goaltending prospects though!

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:17 pm

Im still at it as well. been away for a week so just back at it. Posted my screenshots for season 2, and am at July 2 trying to figure out which free agents to target. Got a couple ideas but we’ll see.

jesterx7769
Fourth Line

Post by jesterx7769 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:00 am

I will still be going, im determined to win the cup with this team

timmy_t
Stanley Cup Winner
Custom Rank: TIMMAH TEEEEE!!!!
Favourite Team: Colorado Avalanche

Post by timmy_t » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:32 am

bruins72 wrote:I'm sure participation in the challenge is going to drop from this point on since so many people are trying out the FHM beta. I'm still plugging away though.
I'm still in too b72. I really don't have the free time to learn a completely new game. :-(

I finished the first season in last place in the Eastern Conference. The Avalanche ended up with the first overall pick in the draft and didn't pick Barkov, so I snagged him at number two. I didn't sign him this season, I left him in Finland where he has 6 points in 7 games and has the highest rating on his team. This is with the big club too, not the junior team, so I'll offer him a contract when that window opens (I think its May 1st). Depending on if he comes over and how he does in camp I may keep him with the Maple Leafs. The rest of my draft looked like this:

1st Rd - Alexander Barkov - C 6'3" 209 lbs, projected as a 1st line center
2nd Rd - Valentin Zykov - RW 6' 207 lbs, projected as a 1st line right wing
3rd Rd - Nikita Zadorov - LD 6'5" 227 lbs, projected as a 3-4 defenseman
5th Rd - Jaimen Yakubowski - LW 5'10" 202 lbs, projected as a 3rd line left wing
6th Rd - Sergei Kuptsov - RW 6'2" 213 lbs, projected as a 3rd line right wing
6th Rd - Brendan Miller - RD 6'1" 200 lbs, projected as a 3-4 defenseman
7th Rd - Pijus Rulevicius - RW/LW 5'11" 213 lbs, projected as a 4th line right wing

Two things I've started to do the last few challenges is to make sure my draft picks are as close to 200 lbs as possible, and to eliminate players with bad mental characteristics (no matter how high they are ranked/projected). Also, of all of my draft picks the only one I signed was Rulevicius and he's playing for the Marlies on the 4th line and 2nd pp unit.

I signed David Clarkson and Maxim Lapierre in the off-season, and I my two trades were Grabovsky for Cory Schneider and Francois Beauchemin for a 7th round pick.

So far, 8 games in we're 6-1-1, on top of the Eastern Conference. My pp is horrible right now though, around 8%, so I really need to fix that asap.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:59 pm

timmy_t wrote:
bruins72 wrote:I'm sure participation in the challenge is going to drop from this point on since so many people are trying out the FHM beta. I'm still plugging away though.
I'm still in too b72. I really don't have the free time to learn a completely new game. :-(
I wonder why? :razz:
timmy_t wrote: I finished the first season in last place in the Eastern Conference. The Avalanche ended up with the first overall pick in the draft and didn't pick Barkov, so I snagged him at number two. I didn't sign him this season, I left him in Finland where he has 6 points in 7 games and has the highest rating on his team. This is with the big club too, not the junior team, so I'll offer him a contract when that window opens (I think its May 1st). Depending on if he comes over and how he does in camp I may keep him with the Maple Leafs. The rest of my draft looked like this:

1st Rd - Alexander Barkov - C 6'3" 209 lbs, projected as a 1st line center
2nd Rd - Valentin Zykov - RW 6' 207 lbs, projected as a 1st line right wing
3rd Rd - Nikita Zadorov - LD 6'5" 227 lbs, projected as a 3-4 defenseman
5th Rd - Jaimen Yakubowski - LW 5'10" 202 lbs, projected as a 3rd line left wing
6th Rd - Sergei Kuptsov - RW 6'2" 213 lbs, projected as a 3rd line right wing
6th Rd - Brendan Miller - RD 6'1" 200 lbs, projected as a 3-4 defenseman
7th Rd - Pijus Rulevicius - RW/LW 5'11" 213 lbs, projected as a 4th line right wing

Two things I've started to do the last few challenges is to make sure my draft picks are as close to 200 lbs as possible, and to eliminate players with bad mental characteristics (no matter how high they are ranked/projected). Also, of all of my draft picks the only one I signed was Rulevicius and he's playing for the Marlies on the 4th line and 2nd pp unit.

I signed David Clarkson and Maxim Lapierre in the off-season, and I my two trades were Grabovsky for Cory Schneider and Francois Beauchemin for a 7th round pick.

So far, 8 games in we're 6-1-1, on top of the Eastern Conference. My pp is horrible right now though, around 8%, so I really need to fix that asap.
I'm liking your moves. I think you might have went in a better direction than me. You drafted Zadorov too! He's looking like he could be a good one in my game.

jesterx7769
Fourth Line

Post by jesterx7769 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:04 am

About to start 27.4, lost in Conference finals last year. Signed Marc Staal as big money signing, lost Lupul, traded Kadri for Marcus Foligno. High hopes for this year as I am ranked 4th in the season preview.

I was super into 27.3 but my interest is waning heading into this season for some reason, I guess the challenge isn't really meant for long term with the rules and roster and all the shake up in the league. I am the top of the salary cap now so this may be last season. I have big name and money guys whose contracts are expiring and I will not be able to keep them essentially crippling me back down the pile.

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:56 pm

20 games into season 3.
My free agent pickup was Patrice Bergeron at 2.5m/season, and is now centering the #1 line with Kessel and Lupul.
My trade didnt actually go as planned. I resigned Komisarek near the end of last season hoping to trade him this year as there were several teams wanting last year.
He must have a good agent because somehow he snuck in a “no trade” clause when I wasnt looking. Oh well at least in the game he is a decent defender...just and expensive one.
So then I was looking to move Kadri or Reimer. I wanted to try and get Wayne Simmonds or David Clarkson for some hometown spirit as well as scoring and toughness, but couldnt get either one. So back to Boston and traded Reimer for Jordan Caron.
Caron played 5 games and now is out for 3 months, so I promoted Tyler Biggs and he is fitting in well on the 3rd line and seeing Pk time as well.

As it stands at the 20 game mark we are in 6th place with 25 pts. Kessel is tied with J..Skinner and J.Pavelski for most goals with 16

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:17 am

I'm heading into my 3rd season now. I made my 1 for 1 trade pretty quickly. I knew I needed to get a top notch goaltender this time. My signing of Budaj last season didn't cut it. He ended up being a disappointment. Reimer was better than Budaj. I also wanted to shed some salary because I knew I was getting close to the cap. I ended up sending Grabovsky to the Canucks for Schneider. For some reason they valued Luongo higher. I knew I could move Lupul up to Grabovsky's spot on the LW. My defense was pretty well set, so at that point I decided to go with tier 2 UFA signings. I needed RWs. I was able to sign Patrick Eaves and Tyler Kennedy for $525k each. Kennedy is small but versatile. Both players are fast. I think they'll work out well for my 3rd and 4th lines and PK. I'm about to start the preseason, so we'll see how it goes. I still have my pick for player/player for pick deal. I didn't end up making one last year.

jesterx7769
Fourth Line

Post by jesterx7769 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:47 pm

Schneider is one of the best trade targets in the game. I tried trading for him with some pieces but decided on signing Smith back when. Surprised you traded Grabovsky since he does so well at LW, but Im sure Lupul can plug and play. Grabovksy and Connoly 5m hurt, and looking back I wouldnt have traded Connoly earlier. I was prepared to let him walk after this season (4) but he re-signed for 3m instead of 5m so he is safe...for now! Speaking of goalies I drafted Daniel Kramny who has massive potential so he's one to look out for. I am almost done with season 4 and will update more then.

Return to “Challenge Forum”