Challenge #27 - Toronto Maple Leafs - Discussion Topic

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Re: Challenge #27 - Toronto Maple Leafs - Discussion Topic

Post by bruins72 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:46 pm

I knew I'd have to trade away somebody big to land Schneider. Plus knowing that I had Lupul would really should've been playing on one of the top 2 lines allowed me some freedom. And then Grabovsky's salary was the final factor. It just made sense. As much as I liked what Grabovsky did for the team, I needed a goalie more.

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:53 pm

Halfway through season 3. We just seem to be spinning our wheels and playing .500 hockey. Still in 6th place with 46 pts. 11th place is 6 behind at 40 pts and 4th is 4 ahead at 50 pts.
Jordan Caron came back from his injury for 2 more games before going out for another 3 months with the same injury (fractured shin) . On the bright side Tyler Biggs continues to impress. 35 games 3G 9A +1 and a 7.34 rating on the 3rd line and #1 Pk with Bergeron.

Kadri is getting some playing time, 25 games 2G 2A -11 6.56 rating , not too great.
Barkov is having a good first season with the Marlies as is Morgan Reilly

Niklas Backstom is hard to figure out. He has some really solid games that are then followed up with a big loss. He has a 2.88GAA but a .89 SV % Scrivens has been a bad back up so far 4.05GAA and a .881Sv%. I might try Owuya or Rynnas soon and definitely need to add a better #2 goalie if possible next season.

I still havent made my pick/player trade yet, maybe I can find an old decent goalie somwhere.

jesterx7769
Challenge Moderator

Post by jesterx7769 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:36 pm

Finished 27.4 and ironically in a season where towards the end I did not have much hope we won the cup. My Q4 was awful and my stats show it, they were saved by a winning streak too or it would have been worse. Only had the 6th seed in the playoffs but ran with my same tactics throughout playoffs except against Sabres due to their line matching shutting me down. Canucks took me to game 7 OT in the finals, would have been pretty ticked if I lost that. I traded Liles during the season for 2nd round pick to save some cap space so I am slightly under going into the offseason as opposed to right on the line, his contract was expiring and he was no where near worth the 4m price to keep him.

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:38 pm

Well done. We just had a 7 game win streak snapped by Ottawa. We’ve moved up into 4th with 60 pts.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:23 pm

Congrats on the Cup! :thup:

jesterx7769
Challenge Moderator

Post by jesterx7769 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:28 am

Thanks guys! I still don't feel like a build a great team, going into season 5 we are projected 8th. More just me somehow magically finding magical PP tactics giving me 22% (was 24 until the last slide) compared to 13% in season 1.

Going into season 5 has reminded me of one of my biggest gripes in the game, rookie development. Its going be 4 years since I drafted original people to help fill holes and they still are not good enough to crack my lineups. At least guys like Barkov (first or second rounders) should be able to play on my fourth line by now.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:34 pm

I've got a ton of Russians (and a couple neighbors of the Russians) in my prospect pool that have me really excited about the team's future. Most of them were drafted in the 2014 draft but some from 2013 too. My 2014 1st round pick Vladislav Boyko a center with some great skills (scouts say he's like Henrik Sedin). He's already quite developed in his skill but he really needs to work on his physical attributes. His skating and stamina need to get better for him to be of use to me. I've got two Russian defensemen (Zadorov and Shestopolov) that are 6'5" and around 220 lbs. One is on my AHL roster and the other will transfer over in the off-season. And then I've got another Russian defenseman, Nikita Tryamin, that is 6'8" 231 lbs. Fun stuff!

I'm just about to wrap up my 1st 20 games of season 3.

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:59 pm

Game 60 of season 3. We just had a great run 17-3. Funny part is, we won 7 in a row then lost to Ottawa.Won 5 then lost to Ottawa, won 4 lost to ...you guessed it, Ottawa.

Great run though and we were missing Grabovsky for 2 weeks followed by Connoly for 2 weeks. Bergeron just went out for 10 days. Kadri has been ok getting more ice time but is still pretty weak overall.Tyler Biggs won rookie of the month for January and has taken over 3rd line and 1st unit Pk duties. Jordan Caron is ready to return from back to back 3 month injuries, but I cant see dropping Biggs out at this point.
Backstrom has come around in goal and now has a 2.85 GAA and a 2.85 SV % .
Karl Alzner is now my solid #1 dman 2G 11 A +23 along with Phanuef 17G 26 A +15

My only worry now is my weak PP 16 % and having no decent backup in net if Backstrom gets hurt. Im almost at the trade deadline so might to try to pick up a veteran goalie or C/Lw

jesterx7769
Challenge Moderator

Post by jesterx7769 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:05 am

Just finished/uploaded 27.5 Q1. Dave Bolland was my main offseason signing who I planned on working third line and PK but once I realized how much better he was he has been getting bulk of C work and now leads me in points. I traded Kulyomin for Joe Morrow, which was a hard trade since I wanted to keep Kulyomin but reluctantly resigned him last year for 5m which is way to much to be paying my third line RW. Biggest difference in my team so far is defense, Mike Smith has 3 shut outs through 20 games and he had 2 all of last year.

edit: forgot to say I traded for boyd gordon in the offseason to be RW and he sustained a 4 month UCL tear in training camp hooray
Last edited by jesterx7769 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jesterx7769
Challenge Moderator

Post by jesterx7769 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:06 am

outdooral wrote:Game 60 of season 3. We just had a great run 17-3. Funny part is, we won 7 in a row then lost to Ottawa.Won 5 then lost to Ottawa, won 4 lost to ...you guessed it, Ottawa.

Great run though and we were missing Grabovsky for 2 weeks followed by Connoly for 2 weeks. Bergeron just went out for 10 days. Kadri has been ok getting more ice time but is still pretty weak overall.Tyler Biggs won rookie of the month for January and has taken over 3rd line and 1st unit Pk duties. Jordan Caron is ready to return from back to back 3 month injuries, but I cant see dropping Biggs out at this point.
Backstrom has come around in goal and now has a 2.85 GAA and a 2.85 SV % .
Karl Alzner is now my solid #1 dman 2G 11 A +23 along with Phanuef 17G 26 A +15

My only worry now is my weak PP 16 % and having no decent backup in net if Backstrom gets hurt. Im almost at the trade deadline so might to try to pick up a veteran goalie or C/Lw
I may have to give Biggs a try, he doesnt seem good enough but I have been struggling and bottom line RWs

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:21 pm

It might be a case of the random PA. Biggs doesn't look very good at all in my game either. I'm in season 3 and he doesn't look like he'd have a chance of making it onto my third line.

jesterx7769
Challenge Moderator

Post by jesterx7769 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:13 am

Are you kidding me!? Travis Zajac just retired due to a wrist injury. Holy bummer and talk about a loss. Do I get to sign a replacement :-D

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:00 pm

Ouch! That's a seriously tough loss.

And even though there's a smile at the end of that, I'll still answer.

Nope! You're screwed! :-D

batdad
The Great One
Custom Rank: Mr Technology
Favourite Team: Syracuse Bulldogs.

Post by batdad » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:05 pm

Sure you can have a replacement. I hear Tyler Biggs is pretty Marleau(original EHM recipe) like.

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:08 pm

No he’’s not that good. He has played 61 games 9G 13 A, +9, 7.36 rating and has dropped off as of late, however 2 goals are shorthanded and 3 are game winners.
His highest physical attribute is Str 17, Agility is low at 10, Speed is 12.
Pretty average mentally 12’s-15 and Technical ,11 Pokecheck, rest other then Faceoffs are 12-14.
just one of those guys who plays better then his numbers suggest

timmy_t
Stanley Cup Winner
Custom Rank: TIMMAH TEEEEE!!!!
Favourite Team: Colorado Avalanche

Post by timmy_t » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:55 am

I don't think unknown user quite understood the trade rules for the challenges:

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i36 ... efb9f7.png

](*,)

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:53 am

Yeah, I don't even know where to begin on that one. I'm sick right now and taking tomorrow off. I'll look at it again on Tuesday.

timmy_t
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by timmy_t » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:59 pm

bruins72 wrote:Yeah, I don't even know where to begin on that one. I'm sick right now and taking tomorrow off. I'll look at it again on Tuesday.
No worries, I hope you feel better soon. :-)

batdad
The Great One
Custom Rank: Mr Technology
Favourite Team: Syracuse Bulldogs.

Post by batdad » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:16 pm

LOL. And he should have signed a guy for $5million right then too.

BombayKnucklePucks
Learning to skate

Post by BombayKnucklePucks » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:20 am

Started the challenge and was determined not to have as bad a season as everyone else...then Connolly tore his ACL in the last exhibiton games. So much for this.

outdooral
Minor League

Post by outdooral » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:02 pm

Wrapped up season 3. Had a weak 4th quarter 11-10-1 but still finished 4th in the East with 103 pts and only 2 pts behind Boston for 1st in the North East.
Kessel was the man this season with 51 G and 51 A ,for 6th in overall league scoring.2nd in goals behind Ovechkin (56).

I ended up sending Tyler Biggs back down to the Marlies. He went into a 5 game slump where his rating was only 5 or 6. He finished with 61 games played 9G 13 A , +9, 7.36 rating.

I didn’t make a trade at the deadline. I was looking for a veteran backup Goalie, but the few teams that had then were below the salary floor so wouldn’t accept a draft pick. Its a need I have to address in the off season.

First round of the playoffs had us facing the Islanders and we had no trouble there beating them 4 games to 1. The semi finals were tougher against Pittsburgh but we prevailed in a 7 game series.
Eastern final has us facing Washington the #1 team in the east (2nd overall).We lose the first game4-1 but worse we lose Niclas Backstrom for 4 months and have to continue the series with Scrivens/Owuya......It doesn’t go well, we win game 4, but lose in 5.

It was a good fun season. I’ve got a few holes to fill before season 4.
Prospects-wise Barkov and Morgan Rielly had a good first seasons with the Marlies, but I think they will spend another one there. Kadri I resigned but will try to trade, he played 48 games 3G 8A -21 and a 6.71 Rating, not too good.

My second round pick behind Barkov, Steven Harper (Canadians don’t laugh) played his final year with Erie Otters 33G 54 A +15 8.22 and looks good as well. Hes a 6’1 200lb Lw/Rw
My 1st pick from the second draft Phil Baltisberger a 6’2 209lb Swiss Ld/Rd will be coming over from the ZSC Lions as well.

timmy_t
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by timmy_t » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:04 am

I finally finished my 2nd segment of the 2nd season. After an awesome first 20 games, I stumbled a little bit and went 11-9. I had a 6-game losing streak that started when I lost Cory Schneider for 11 days with a groin injury. Luckily my trainers tell me that they have no long-term concerns about his health.

I did something I've never done in the challenges this segment. Since I'm using three tactics (I call them home, away, and switch) I decided to write down the type of team I'm playing against, my tactic against it, and whether I win or lose. The result of my little experiment is that I have the most trouble with the "Heavy Physical Style" tactic. I went 3-6 this segment to that type of team, losing back-to-backs against Nashville and Buffalo, and splitting the back-to-back with Pittsburgh. I need to figure it out because if I squeak into the playoffs I'm sure I'll play the Eastern Conference teams. (One good thing is that after that big losing streak I went 9-4 the rest of the way)

Phil Kessel is turning it on right now. He is leading Ovechkin in goals by 5 and Ovie has played 3 more games. He's also 3rd in total points behind Ovechkin and Crosby. Crosby 62, Ovie 61, Kessel 59.

Cory Schneider is playing well, but not as good as I would like. His save % is 0.904 but his GAA is 3.40. I think part of that is my horrible PK, I went around 77% this segment. It's funny because when I watch my power play, the opposing teams penalty killers are all over me the whole time, but when I watch my PK my guys are waaaaaay out of position. (I also think that faceoffs are hurting my PK too.)

My two off-season signings were Clarkson and Lapierre. Lapierre is totally useless. He has a 6.84 AVR and has 10 assists in 37 games played. He has 97 PIMS but not one fight. I think I'm going to bump him to the 4th line and he can center Komarov and Orr. I may encourage all three to fight for a while and see if that helps their AVR's. Clarkson has played 40 games and has gone 14-9-23 with a 7.20 AVR. I have him on a line with Clarke MacArthur (who I can't seem to get going) and I'm thinking of having McClement center them. I handicapped myself with Colborne and Kadri because in order to come back from the Marlies they have to go through re-entry wavers. So, as a result, I've just left both of them down there.

I know this is really far ahead, but I'm already planning for my off-season. I'm going to dump Bozak, McClement, Steckel, and Komarov from the big club. I've offered Connolly a new contract. He wanted 3 more years and a NTC. I'll also bring up Kadri and Colborne, and sign Barkov, but I may still need a 1st/2nd line center with a 19-20 in faceoffs.

I really liked b72's trade after this season - MacArthur for Brayden Shenn. He's looking really good right now with (and he's got an 18 in faceoffs, yay!) I may have to see if I can work out a similar deal for him or find a similar player on another team.

Apollo
Junior League

Post by Apollo » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:57 am

Its funny you are keeping track of the teams as I have been keeping track of my line matching vs teams as it has seemed to make a big difference (hey any placebo works for me). Done with 27.2Q1, in the first season Kessel lead the league in goals so scoring isn't a problem with Toronto. I signed Mike Smith like a lot of people did as he is one of the few options at goalie you can get in season 1 (no one would even trade me for grabovsky) also traded for david booth and jordin tootoo to help improve third line.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:31 pm

Schenn has been a nice pick-up. His face-offs have been very useful! He's my 2nd line center, behind Connolly. My top line just generates more points with Connolly.

I'm trying to finish my last segment of season 3. I probably won't get season 4 done before the end of the challenge. If I do, I plan to use Kadri or Colborne as trade bait. I don't really care for either. I'll have to see whether Barkov gets to play on the big team in season 4 or if he needs another season in the AHL. He needs to play on one of the top 2 lines to be effective and I'm not quite sure he's up to that yet. I've also got some very talented young European prospects set to join the team in season 4. They may need some time in the AHL but I'm eager to get a look at them. Galeyev is a playmaking RW in the mold of Hejduk but I think he needs some seasoning. I've got a Lithuanian center by the name of Bogdziul that draws comparisons to Matthew Lombardi and Derek Roy. The two I'm most excited about though are Boyko and Zadorov. Boyko is a center that could be a game-changer. He just needs to get stronger and improve his skating. He's 6'3" 205 lbs, so he's got a big frame to build on. His mental and technical attributes are sweet though. 18's in Creativity and Faceoffs, 17 in Passing, and 16's in Anticipation and Wristshot. He's got a bunch of attributes at 15 as well. All technical attributes are yellow or better. Zadorov is a 6'5" 227 lbs defenseman that my scouts call a poor man's Shea Weber. He's got awesome strength and balance, very nice defensive technical attributes, a big shot pretty good passing. He'll be a very good all-purpose defenseman. My scouts say he's a 3-4 guy but I wonder if he could develop into a top 2 defenseman.

Prowl
Drafted
Favourite Team: Calgary Flames

Post by Prowl » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:48 am

Going to give this a shot. Never tried challenges before, but this should be a fun one to play as the Leafs. No trades and UFA signings in the 1st season right? Just saw that and wanted to confirm that was still the case

Return to “Challenge Forum”