Challenge #28 - Buffalo Sabres - Discussion Thread

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Re: Challenge #28 - Buffalo Sabres - Discussion Thread

Post by bruins72 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:10 pm

Sorry. We're actually looking to kick off a new challenge on Monday. This one has been going for a while now and I don't think many people are still participating in it. We're hoping to get people on board with the new one.

Asher413
Challenge Moderator
Favourite Team: Pittsburgh Penguins

Post by Asher413 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:55 am

Season 3:
Not as good as I hoped in the regular season, but we managed to make a nice playoff run!

Highlights:
Playoffs- Managed to beat the Rangers, the arch-rival Bruins (lost 6 of 8 in the regular season), and make it to game 6 with the Caps, more than I dreamed after barely finishing 8th.
Scoring Depth- Finally managed to get a number of players to score behind the first line, 13 players with 20+ points, 7 with 40+.
Kunitz- for slight humor purposes, I lost out on the Kunitz free agency run, but proceeded to trade away the future for him (A. Barkov, but I had already determined this would be my last season, so why not?)

Lowlights:
Free agency/Waivers: Lost in free agency to what I wanted (a top 6 winger), then proceeded to claim Saku Koivu, who put up a massive 1 point and 6 PIMs in 9 games. I didn't manage to sign a decent player (Lombardi is the only one that actually played) over the two seasons, but you take your lumps!
Miller playoff injuries: He was hurt twice, at the end of a game 6 win in the Eastern Semi's (missed game 7, then 1 and 2 of the ECF), then in the 1st OT of 5 OT's in game 5 (was tied 2-2 in the series) of the ECF. What might've been...

Transactions:
Players: (notables)
Claimed Saku Koivu off waviers
Traded Barkov for Kunitz
Traded 2nd rounder for Greg Campbell

Draft Notables:
1.10 Ivan Barbashev: played in Buffalo, 6-9-15 in 41 games

Staff:
DIdn't mess with it.

Offseason goals:
Click continue until July 1 for screenshots.

For sure I don't have time for the next season, but this was a nice return to challenges (Thank you NHL draft for making me think of EHM!). Looking forward to the next challenge, and I need to review the Waiver rules as I lost more players than I wanted from having the wrong guys in the minors (re-entry waivers killed me!)

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Post by bruins72 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:53 pm

Asher413 wrote: Draft Notables:
1.10 Ivan Barbashev: played in Buffalo, 6-9-15 in 41 games
I really wanted to grab him but he was already taken by the time it came to my pick. He looked like one of the best in that draft class.

coombs14
Top Prospect

Post by coombs14 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:33 pm

I was also hoping to grab him too but he went way earlier than I was expecting, given his draft ranking. I ended up getting Reid Gardner instead who seemed to be working out well in the limited playing time he got for me in season 4. I think the kid is going to be a good offensive winger but he doesn't have the all around game that Barbashev has. He was rookie of the year for the Panthers in 2015.

Return to “Challenge Forum”