Challenge #30 - TBL - Discussion Thread

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame
Favourite Team: New York Rangers

Re: Challenge #30 - TBL - Discussion Thread

Post by Peter_Doherty » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:26 pm

Played the first half of season 2, team is doing pretty good sitting at 6th in the conference. Stamkos had a slow start to the season and St. Louis has been demoted to the 2nd line. My 2 UFA acquisitions (Trevor Lewis and David Moss) has really stabilized my bottom 6, especially Lewis is playing great with 11+14 and a +/- of +17. Hes done that with very limited PP-time also. Gave Drouin 5 games to start the season but it was obvious that he wasn't ready so i went out and got Matt Cooke for a 7th rounder to fill the whole in the lineup (don't understand why they wanted to get rid of him so desperately). After about a quarter of the season i checked up on Syracuse and saw that they had Vasilevskiy as a backup to Bishop so i decided to trade Bishop away. Bishop was wanted by every team in the league, chose between Shinkaruk, Pulkkinen and Gallagher and ended up trading Bishop for Pulkkinen because my scouts liked him the best.

I won't resign St. Louis or Malone after this season, Pulkkinen will fill the hole of St. Louis and slot in beside Filppula next season while i will probably go to the UFA market to strenghten my LW. My goalies (Helenius and Lindbäck) has been doing OK, not great but still OK. Might get a stud in the summer if there is one available.

Edit: Forgot to mention that Ekblad is doing great, getting 15-18 minutes a game averaging around 7.25

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Post by bruins72 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:43 pm

So I'm half way through my second season and a my two gambles for the season didn't really pay off.

1. I brought in Valislevsky to be my backup goalie and sent Lindback down to the AHL. At a certain point, I saw that Vasilevsky wasn't getting enough starts and when he did play, he struggled. So I sent him down to the AHL to get some playing time down there. After a little bit, I notice that he's not playing there either. Bishop is! So I waive Bishop (he clears) and send him down to the ECHL, bringing up Gudlevskis to be the AHL backup. So I'm thinking that's all taken care of. Then I see that Gudlevskis is getting the starts over Vasilevsky. I don't understand why. Vasilevsky's attributes look much better. It looks like I might have to add a GM and take over the AHL team.

2. I signed my first round pick, Alex Forsberg with the intention of playing him on the 3rd line. So I tried that and he really struggled. Then I tried putting him on the LW and that didn't go any better. So he got sent down to the AHL (Prince George seemed to have released his junior rights, so I was able to send him to the AHL at 19... bizarre). He ended up coming back up to the NHL for a stint when Filppula got injured and he didn't do any better while getting 2nd line and 2nd PP minutes. In 25 NHL games total he had only 8 points and was a -3. So he's back down in the AHL now and he's not doing so well there either. He's only got 2 points in 9 games. He must not be being utilized properly. He should do well in the AHL. Another reason for me to take over my AHL affiliate.

So we've had some struggles this season but somehow we've managed to land in 7th place in the conference at the mid-way point. I think part of that we owe to the fact that we've played more games than any other team in the conference at this point. Lindback was brought back up when I sent down Vasilevsky and for some reason, he didn't have to clear waivers. I don't quite get that. He's been a lot better since returning though. He's been playing better than Helenius, so I've been giving him the majority of the starts. Paradis fractured his shin and he's out for 3 month (2 more months left to go). That's a bummer because averaging about a point a game on Stamkos' LW. He was out there to make room for Stamkos and Purcell. I ended up bringing Connolly in to take his spot and he's done okay. Much to my surprise, my special teams have been very good. My PP is 5th in the league and my PK is 8th. We're also the 5th least penalized team while having the 3rd most PP opportunities. That's a good thing!

batdad
The Great One
Custom Rank: Mr Technology
Favourite Team: Syracuse Bulldogs.

Post by batdad » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:50 pm

That right releasing after signing an entry level deal happens fairly often. Not all the time, but quite often. Just another little thing that is not right with EHM. No way no how do CHL teams release the rights to guys who may....even if a 1 percent chance...get sent back (Cough Matt Dumba trade to Portland, guess who is playing for Portland tonight?)

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter_Doherty » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:52 pm

So many similarities in our saves bruins. I ended up trading Bishop just so Vasilevskiy would start in Syracuse, and Paradis broke his leg and is out for 3 months for me too =P

jesterx7769
Fourth Line

Post by jesterx7769 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:04 pm

I'm glad I ended up taking over the AHL GM right off the bat. With a team with so many youngsters I wanted to make sure they were starting and practicing right as it seems AHL just runs guys into the ground in practice.

Leeman14
Top Prospect
Favourite Team: Toronto Maple Leafs

Post by Leeman14 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:53 pm

Peter_Doherty wrote:Bishop was wanted by every team in the league, chose between Shinkaruk, Pulkkinen and Gallagher and ended up trading Bishop for Pulkkinen because my scouts liked him the best.
Crazy. I made the EXACT trade. Bishop for Pulkkinen. It was during Season 2 and he bounced between Syracuse and Tampa. By Season 3, he's established himself as the 2nd/3rd line right wing and seems to have great chemistry with his countryman, Filppula. He's also pretty solid defensively too so I use him on the PK without hesitation.

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter_Doherty » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:04 am

Leeman14 wrote:
Peter_Doherty wrote:Bishop was wanted by every team in the league, chose between Shinkaruk, Pulkkinen and Gallagher and ended up trading Bishop for Pulkkinen because my scouts liked him the best.
Crazy. I made the EXACT trade. Bishop for Pulkkinen. It was during Season 2 and he bounced between Syracuse and Tampa. By Season 3, he's established himself as the 2nd/3rd line right wing and seems to have great chemistry with his countryman, Filppula. He's also pretty solid defensively too so I use him on the PK without hesitation.
Haha, thats really crazyy. Especially since i chose from 10 different trades with 5 of them being on the similar level. I'm gonna play Pulkkinen on the 2nd line with Filppula next season.

jesterx7769
Fourth Line

Post by jesterx7769 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:33 am

Finished season 2. Made it to round two of the playoffs getting past the Canadians then getting butt kicked by Rangers.

Instead of forcing a trade during the two weeks of the new season I decided to wait until close to the trade deadline. Boy is that the way to go. I had all sorts of good trades available to me for two reasons. 1) The lower standing a team is the more likley they are to trade. I thought this was just a theory until I "proved it". Senators were in 14th place and they accepted a trade for Bobby Ryan, I delayed it like I do all my challenge trades, then after going on a win streak for a week bumping them up to 11th they cancelled the trade, not to accept another. 2) Young players become more desirable. No one wanted Erne or Drouin before then all of a sudden I had teams inquiring for them left and right. The only downside to waiting until February is of course going most of the season without improving the roster.

Helenus played well in the playoffs but I still may try to upgrade that position. Haven't resigned Brewer/Malone/St. Louis yet so may try to do that before July 1 for a good price otherwise LW is a major priority.

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter_Doherty » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:18 pm

Just finished season 2, team was pretty solid being between 5th and 9th the whole season. Ended up at 8th and lost to Caps in 5 games, a Caps team that won the Presidents Trophy. Ekblad won Calder while Purcell won Lady Byng, Stamkos scored 40 and Purcell got up to 100 points. Both Lindbäck and Helenius ended up at around 0.895, not good but they are both pretty young and i hope they can improve.

Drafted as #17 and got Kameron Kielly. In the second round i got a goalie, Rory Heerema since the depth there is non existant.

I'm not resigning Malone or St. Louis so i have some holes to fill in my top-6, Pulkkinen will get the nod to step up and play in my second line alongside Filppula. Cooke will drop down to the third line to start with so in the off season my #1 priority is to fill the gaping LW hole in my top-6. If i can't find anyone to fill that role i will get some depth and trade one of my young guys for a good LW.

Going to change my 4th line completely, having a defensive tough 4th line isn't working out. They are getting really bad +/- and rating, so i'm gonna try to build a 4th line around Namestnikov next season and see how that works out.

Leeman14
Top Prospect

Post by Leeman14 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:29 pm

Season 3 recap.

I switched up the practice regimen during the offseason between Seasons 2 and 3. I really cranked up the intensity and micromanaged each player's practice routine right through the regular season. I also micromanaged a lot of personal tactics and eventually found the right mix by Christmas. We started slow and bumped around between 1st place and 8th place over the first half of the season. It's tough being in the same division as Carolina and Washington who are just literally unbeatable.

I'm starting to realize that Lindback and Helenius are never going to develop into 1A/1B goalies and will be actively seeking a good netminder during the upcoming UFA season. Both played about 40 games each and their GAAs hovered near 3.00 as well as the save percentages being sub-900.

This was also the first season where no player suffered serious or significant injuries for more than a month. Paradis had a concussion and missed about 3 weeks. It truly is amazing what you can do when your top players aren't on the shelf.

We won the President's Trophy, finishing 1st in the league on a record of 58-17-7. Most of the games were like the high-scoring 1980s, winning many games byt 6-5 or 8-6 margins. :joy:

Stamkos finished Top-10 in scoring with 107 points.

First trade was sending Cedrick Desjardins to San Jose for LW Matt Nieto. Prior to the trade deadline, I sent a 3rd Round Pick to New Jersey for Ole-Kristian Tollefsen who really helped bolster a young and inefficient back-end.

I've decided not to re-up with St. Louis. He spent most of the season on the 3rd/4th lines. Where we're lacking is in solid goaltending and in some good solid, shutdown defensemen.

Tupe
Junior League

Post by Tupe » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:35 am

First time challenger here also (with some rookie mistakes so there are some stats missing in Q1, Q1 and Q3).

Season 1 recap:

Finished 8th in eastern. Clinched play-off spot in last round, finishing two points ahead of New Jersey. First two lines played well and got solid contribution from all six players

Malone - Stamkos - St. Louis
Purcell - Filppula - Kucherov

Stamkos led the team with 38 goals and 93 points. Others exluding Kucherov scored over 20 goals and between 60 - 80 point range. Kucherov had a good rookie season with 18 goald and 47 points.

Goaldtending was ok, but would like to get some more offense from D, especially Salo who I signed for one more year.

In the playoffs faced 1st seeded Detroit Red Wings. They were pain in my gut during the regular season and won season series 3-0-1. During last two meetings I recall that my team couldn't score a single goal behind Howard. Ended up sweeping Detroit 4-0. Really happy that I succeed in shutting down completely their fist line of Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Alfreddson.

Faced Rangers in 2nd and lost the series 3-1. Still quite happy with my trip to the post season.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:05 pm

So I botched season 2. As I had said in an earlier post, my gambling on rookies being major pieces did NOT work out. Vasilevsky and Forsberg both ended up in the AHL. They've both gotten plenty of ice time down there, so I'm hoping that will help their development. Forsberg played mostly 1st line in Syracuse and missed a couple weeks with a concussion. He had 44 points in 49 games. Vasilevsky played 41 games in Syracuse getting 20 wins, 3 shutouts, a 2.44 GAA and a .913 SV%.

I struggled a bit with a few injuries and it seemed like I was always looking to get my lines working from there. Paradis went out for 3 months after fracturing his shin in December. Thompson went out for a couple weeks with a rotator cuff strain. Cal O'Reilly (one of my UFA signings) went out for 3 weeks with a hamstring pull. I lost a lot of other guys for a handful of games too but the timing always seemed bad. And then there's St. Louis. He's too slow and too small to be very effective at this point. There skill are there but not the body. He played mostly 3rd line and 2nd PP and had 44 points in 82 games. I've also still got Brewer who is getting old. He's hit 35 and he skates really slow. He's still very good defensively but for over $3M per season, I think I can do better.

So I made my 2 UFA signings and got Gilbert (D) and O'Reilly (C/LW). Gilbert has been my 2nd pairing RD and he's done pretty well. O'Reilly has floated between 1st and 2nd line LW for me. He's done okay with 56 points in 72 games. I really need a true #1 LW though. O'Reilly and Paradis aren't quite it. My player for player trade was getting Clutterbuck for Ryan Malone (who was traded to the Capitals mid-way through the season). Clutterbuck put up 48 points in 80 games. He's been my 2nd line RW. I like the physical element he adds to Filppula's line. Since St. Louis wouldn't waive his NTC, I had to keep him instead of dealing him for a pick. I ended up waiting until the trade deadline and getting Jim Slater from the Jets for a 7th round pick. They were just looking to unload him. He's a pretty good piece for my checking line. I ended up losing him for 2 weeks during the stretch that I had him though. He might work out better for me next season.

So this season didn't work out like I intended and I missed the playoffs. I was tied for points with the 7th and 8th place teams (Buffalo and Montreal) but ended up 9th place in the conference because they had more wins (I had OT points).

Now I just need the time to get through to the draft.

kabbott50
Drafted

Post by kabbott50 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:17 pm

I did a quick search but didn't see anything on this, but are there any rules against loaning players to other AHL or ECHL teams if they are not playing on your primarily affiliates?

Manimal
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: EHM Rosters Man
Favourite Team: Djurgårdens IF

Post by Manimal » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:56 pm

kabbott50 wrote:I did a quick search but didn't see anything on this, but are there any rules against loaning players to other AHL or ECHL teams if they are not playing on your primarily affiliates?
No rules against it

kabbott50
Drafted

Post by kabbott50 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:20 pm

Thanks. I just wanted to make sure before I did it!

kabbott50
Drafted

Post by kabbott50 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:30 pm

bruins72 wrote:Man... I almost want to tank season 2 just to have a chance at drafting Nathan Noel. At 17 he's already looking like he would make a run for the #2 center job on my NHL roster.
Tried that...ended up in 25th, but won the lottery to get the 2nd pick. Of course, Nate went 1st though. I took McDavid second...hope I don't regret passing on Tretyak!

jesterx7769
Fourth Line

Post by jesterx7769 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:33 am

Finished season 3

I was going to wait to make trades again but I threw Drouin out there since I had people asking for him in February and had my choice between Bobby Ryan/Nathan Horton/Jeff Skinner/ or Andrew Ladd, I went Ryan as a biased American :-p and it worked out. Ironically the Rangers put Ladd up for grabs when I rejected which I never see the AI do with good players (salary cap?) Other moves were trading for Matt Cooke (for draft pick) and signing Antoine Vermette as my UFA to be my third line center/PK.

Regular season seemed to start slow but ended well with the 4th seed. I thought my team was good and I got to the conference finals but the top AI teams just become so loaded its hard to compete. Goaltending was also an issue all season bouncing between Lindback and Helenius, one would get hot then cold, same with the other. Then Lindback got injured in the playoffs after posting 1.65 GAA through two series. However Lindback is signed to 3.5m and Helenius is still under 1m. Lindback was aslo the #10 rated goaltender in the NHL season preview before the year, but isn't that just based off reputation primarily? I'd love to give Vasielvsky (sp) a shot at goal but his super low anticipation really worries me that he will get lit up.

We'll see if I can get a goaltender solution in the off season or a #2 offensive RD I think. Young guys are coming along as well and may get a spot on the third line.

PS- Is there a way to get guys from AHL to your team at all without going through waivers? I sent Namestinkov down at beginnger of the year w/o waivers but now he needs to go through waivers to come back? That doesn't seem right or something real life NHL does, there must be some sort of waiver or your top prospects wouldn't get to make it to the NHL w/o being claimed by someone else.

*edited for clarification*

jesterx7769
Fourth Line

Post by jesterx7769 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:10 pm

kabbott50 wrote:
bruins72 wrote:Man... I almost want to tank season 2 just to have a chance at drafting Nathan Noel. At 17 he's already looking like he would make a run for the #2 center job on my NHL roster.
Tried that...ended up in 25th, but won the lottery to get the 2nd pick. Of course, Nate went 1st though. I took McDavid second...hope I don't regret passing on Tretyak!
I don't remember if it was McDavid but in my game the defenseman looked more NHL ready that Noel did. THe guy was 13/14 in all skating, hitting/checking, offenseive and defensive skills he was a BEAST. But idk what his CA/PA was.

Leeman14
Top Prospect

Post by Leeman14 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:14 am

Wow. This is why I play this game. We just won the Cup. Last season, I thought we'd have a good shot considering we finished in 1st place but lost in 5 games in the first round.

I haven't had a lot of time lately to get through Season 4 but after coming down with the flu, I've had some time the last couple of days. 8-)

The 2016/17 season was really a story of rich and poor. The top 6 to 8 teams in the East were guaranteed to make the playoffs since December and the bottom of the barrel were the Sabres and Flyers who just lost so many games. We finished the season in 5th place after holding down 1st place only two weeks before the end of the regular season. We had bounced around between 1st, 2nd and 4th much of the year but the Rangers, Devils and Capitals were powerhouses and we didn't have the offense to match. It actually came down to the last game of the season which we lost in a shootout and we dropped from 4th (home ice advantage) to 5th.

Our UFA signing this season was none other than Jonathan Bernier. I almost signed Sergei Bobrovsky but ended up going with Bernier due to his consistency, determination, anticipation and recovery. There were no significant injuries until February when we lost Zherdev, Namestnikov, Filppula and Thompson. We dealt Dana Tyrell to the Bruins for Alexander Khokhlachev and then picked up Manny Malhotra from Dallas for a 2nd rounder (steep price, IMO). Malhotra tore his UCL in the final 3 games of the regular season and so the playoff veteran we traded for wasn't around to help us. For the first 50 games, I alternated between using Bernier and our former starter, Anders Lindback, playing the hot hand. After those 50 games, it was clear that Bernier was more consistent and the better goalie. By the end of the season, Lindback was demanding to be traded.

The first round series against the Penguins was our toughest test. We found ourselves down 2-1 in the series before we came back to win it in six games thanks to Teddy Purcell putting up big numbers. We met the Senators in the second round and, on paper, they looked like the better team with some star players like Bobby Ryan, Anze Kopitar, Daniel Sedin, Erik Karlsson, Brooks Orpik and Milan Lucic. We were lucky enough to win in five games after they suffered a few injuries. The Conference Final saw us up against our old rivals, the Hurricanes. Our success was based around shutting-down the opposition's top two players using Hedman and Sustr. We took the series in 5 games again.

The Cup Final put us against the St. Louis Blues, who finished 2nd in the West. At this point, I felt that we probably weren't going to win it and I was fine with that but we took the first two games of the series--and on the road, no less. The Blues took Game #3 in Tampa but we grabbed the following two games to clinch it. I'm pretty happy about this because I've been playing EHM 2007 for years and I've probably only won the Cup two or three times.

On to Season 5 to see if we can repeat.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:54 pm

So I wrapped up season two and went into season 3. Season 2 was a mess. I didn't like the draft either. For my UFA signing, I figured I should go for a goalie that would be better than my Helenius/Lindback combo. I made a tier 1 signing and got Varlamov. So far, I'm not overly pleased with him. I let some older players go become UFAs. St. Louis wasn't signed by anyone and retired. I'm seeing now that I made a mistake by not re-signing Brewer. He was pretty solid and I didn't get a replacement for him. Not a smart move. In the July trade window, I sent my 2nd round pick to the Hurricanes because they put Ruutu on the block. I figured he's have a nice blend of talent and grit to be a good top line player for us. Too bad I didn't notice his 5 in consistency! So because Ruutu wasn't working out, I kept looking for a new LW for my top line. I ended up trading Brett Connolly to the Sabres for Johan Larsson in November. So far, he seems to be doing better than Ruutu.

jesterx7769
Fourth Line

Post by jesterx7769 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:10 pm

What day did the Avs release Varlamov as a RFA? In my lightning game they didn't but in another game I saw them release him around jUly 3rd

edit: nvm he was a RFA in season 2 and this is season 3 now

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:23 pm

Yeah, the Avs re-signed him for 1 year and then let him go as a UFA for season 3. He only played in 10 games for them in season 2. Right now the Avs have a goaltending tandem of Ryan Miller and Rick DiPietro.

mrballar
Junior League

Post by mrballar » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:32 pm

Just finished Season 4, and won the cup surprisingly.

I had a very strong start out of the gate starting 18-0-2, but the team leveled out after that. In the offseason I grabbed Sam Gagner as a UFA for a cheap $2.3M (couldn't get any top UFAs to sign below $5M). He was a very nice addition to 2nd line. My PK was average throughout the course of the season, but I finished off with top PP at the end of the regular season, so I was pleased with that. Stamkos had another great season with 120 points, taking the Conn Smythe, Bill Masterson, and Art Ross Trophies. Purcell had an outstanding season as well, toping the league with 55 goals, grabbing the Rocket Richard and Lady Byng Trophies.

Started the postseason against the Maple Leafs taking them in game 6, moved on to a close series against Ottawa (winning in game 7), and finally sweeping the Pens after they had lost only 1 of their last 9 postseason games. Stamkos was injured in game 6 of the Finals and was out for 10 games, luckily he was back in the lineup before the Championship series. Beat the Predators to take the cup in game 7.

I didn't make any trades in season 4 as I was hoping to hold off for trade deadline, but I couldn't seem to move a pick for anyone. The needy teams only wanted one of my top D prospects and wasn't in the mood to move him considering Brewer just hit 38 and has probably 1 more season before he's done. I'm hoping to add a couple two-way players to my 3rd & 4th Line as the season progresses. I grabbed Antoine Vermette as a UFA to shore up my 2nd line and bump a 3rd line guy down to where he should be. I'd love a repeat of last season, but I'm not expecting it.

jesterx7769
Fourth Line

Post by jesterx7769 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:13 pm

Finished season 4 and won the cup as well which seems to be the popular trend. I signed Dustin Byfgulin as my $5m UFA to help bring size and even more offense to second line however it ended up hurting my salary cap as I had to get rid of some guys throughout the season. Traded for Shaone Morrions with the draft pick then traded Namestinkov since he was stuck in AHL for Yakupov to try to add some offense to third line. Lindback was apparently good enough to win it all, I think his experience and relationships on the team boosted his performance, now of course he is mr bigshot and wants $4m

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:06 pm

So I've wrapped up season 3. I just need to get through to July so I can get all of my screenshots. I really bombed this challenge. I just never got things going in the right direction. Almost every move I made turned out to be the wrong one. Every gamble I made did not pay off. I should have addressed the goaltending issue right away but didn't. Vasilevsky wasn't ready in season 2 and still wasn't quite ready in season 3. Bringing in Varlamov in season 3 did not help at all! Letting Brewer leave as a UFA going into season 3 was not a good idea when I didn't really have a defenseman ready to step into his spot. Brewer may have been slow but he was solid. Slater was not worth picking up, even for a 7th round pick. He doesn't perform up to what you'd expect from his attributes. Ruutu was a bomb for me as well. He didn't perform well enough to merit time on the top 2 lines so he spent most of the season on the 3rd line and got some PP time. Johan Larsson, Clutterbuck, and Cal O'Reilly were all decent acquisitions but they're all 2nd/3rd line guys, not the 1st line wingers I needed.

So anyway... I missed the playoffs again. I finished 11th in the conference! I feel shame.

:oops: :rant: ](*,)

Return to “Challenge Forum”