Challenge #30 - TBL - Discussion Thread

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

TimHorton
Junior League

Re: Challenge #30 - TBL - Discussion Thread

Post by TimHorton » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:31 am

Just did the first 20 games for season two. Crawford is a disappointment so far with a 2.81 GAA but have had several 5 GA games, some of that is of course me and the rest of the team but I was hoping for more impact. I started Lazarev on third line and 2nd PP then moved him up to second line and he has 13 points so far, while that is good the line as a whole is underperforming so I may bump him back down. Kazionov has 11 points.

Leeman14
Top Prospect
Favourite Team: Toronto Maple Leafs

Post by Leeman14 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:20 pm

I'm about a month away from the 2015 NHL Entry Draft and was looking over some of the ranked prospects.

There's a kid from Alberta playing in Rimouski named Conner Lukan who is the QMJHL League Leader and has taken home a bunch of Q-league trophies. I just checked his profile. He's 5-foot 10-inches and 366 pounds. He's ranked #70 by Central Scouting.

That is one obese kid who definitely is the exception to the rule.

mrballar
Junior League

Post by mrballar » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:30 pm

Leeman14 wrote:I'm about a month away from the 2015 NHL Entry Draft and was looking over some of the ranked prospects.

There's a kid from Alberta playing in Rimouski named Conner Lukan who is the QMJHL League Leader and has taken home a bunch of Q-league trophies. I just checked his profile. He's 5-foot 10-inches and 366 pounds. He's ranked #70 by Central Scouting.

That is one obese kid who definitely is the exception to the rule.
I really did just laugh out loud; 5-10 366 lbs, lol.

batdad
The Great One
Custom Rank: Mr Technology
Favourite Team: Syracuse Bulldogs.

Post by batdad » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:19 pm

YEah there were a few guys who apparently had their weight set using lbs instead of kgs when the editing was done...young ones, and that error will be fixed in the next release when the guys get some things done.

Syvis
Top Prospect
Favourite Team: Tampa Bay Lightning

Post by Syvis » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:29 pm

I decided to take part in this challenge as the Lightning is my favourite team but it seems I cannot get over the 13th of February date in 2014. Well, it wasn't going that well and I learned so many Lightning players are underrated that this challenge really wasn't that fun for a Lightning fan.

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame
Favourite Team: New York Rangers

Post by Peter_Doherty » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:35 pm

Syvis wrote:I decided to take part in this challenge as the Lightning is my favourite team but it seems I cannot get over the 13th of February date in 2014. Well, it wasn't going that well and I learned so many Lightning players are underrated that this challenge really wasn't that fun for a Lightning fan.
Download a new version of the CSD patch, i had the same.

Syvis
Top Prospect
Favourite Team: Tampa Bay Lightning

Post by Syvis » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:19 pm

Peter_Doherty wrote:
Syvis wrote:I decided to take part in this challenge as the Lightning is my favourite team but it seems I cannot get over the 13th of February date in 2014. Well, it wasn't going that well and I learned so many Lightning players are underrated that this challenge really wasn't that fun for a Lightning fan.
Oh ok, thanks. I'll try that.

EDIT: Still can't get past the date.

TimHorton
Junior League

Post by TimHorton » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:34 am

Just finished season 2, ended in disappointment. Went on a big down turn at the end of the season BARELY making the playoffs as the 8th seed. The playoff race was really close and I could have been as high as the 5 seed but thanks to poor play from Crawford who had some 5 and 6 rated games things went south. This meant I was going to play the 1 seeded Penguins in round 1 who I was pleased to see had their #1 goalie out so they had Emery in goal who sucks. With Crawford doing so bad and having very low moral I tried Helenius in goal who did good but it was my offense that let me down which made me mad seeing as Pittsburgh had a bad goalie. I think I had a 0-9 PP game and they shut me out twice :rant:

Some positive notes, Lazareve ended with 52 points, pretty darn good for a rookie.

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame
Favourite Team: New York Rangers

Post by Peter_Doherty » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:38 am

Syvis wrote:
Peter_Doherty wrote:
Oh ok, thanks. I'll try that.

EDIT: Still can't get past the date.
Oh, maybe i wasn't clear. Your save is forever corrupt if you started it with the old CSD patch. You have to start a new game with the new CSD patch.

TimHorton
Junior League

Post by TimHorton » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:38 am

No I traded a player for Petry then a pick for Cooke ;) I just uploaded my screens from the first two seasons. cheers to being drunk on Saturdays watching hockey alone woo hoo! I find the trades in challenges is finding those players whose value plummets for w/e reason (usually it seems teams out of playoffs try to save salary), Petry's value was only 3 stars when I traded for him.

mrballar
Junior League

Post by mrballar » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:03 am

Has anyone had any luck melding a decent PP line from TB? I made a trade for Vanek from the Islanders and placed him with Stamkos, Purcell, Hedman and another forward but can't seem to get any production with them; even shifted St. Louis and Filppula in and out of the mix. I'm thinking I'm having a hard time getting a decent tactics set established and am fearful to start the season before I have something solid in mind.

jesterx7769
Fourth Line

Post by jesterx7769 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:45 am

The PP line is pretty straight forward I feel. I see you've had some good quarters with it. St. Louis-Stamkos-Purcell are the clear line one forwards, defense wise you're probably looking at Hedman and Brewer/Lee. If you are under 15% consistently you may want to read up on the PP tactics thread and also read up on the breakouts/offensive zone positions. I change mine up mid game when they're doing bad and when I go for long droughts so keep an eye on that and you should be fine.

mrballar
Junior League

Post by mrballar » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:59 am

Thanks, Jester. I checked out the tactics forum and have some stuff to try. I think I've been running the team too offense oriented and left myself far to open in the back end. This challenge is the first time I've gone head first into tactics so it's a learning experience.

jesterx7769
Fourth Line

Post by jesterx7769 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:52 am

Yeah it is a lot different in the challenge for a few reasons. Your team is worse so you can't rely on pure talent, and if you didn't control tactics before now you have to learn. I struggled a lot at first so I read a lot on the tactics and experimented so now I have a couple things I use all the time and just tweak it. Don't be fooled though, talent trumps tactics. Having bad talent but good tactics won't really matter. In the Flames challenge we did I signed two forwards one season and my PP% jumped into the 20's because they were THAT much better than everyone else in the league. The best advice i can give w/o saying what I use is to not go crazy with changing your tactics every game. It can be hard but try to stick with it for 10 games and see if its working or not, also note your opponents.

mrballar
Junior League

Post by mrballar » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:14 am

I'm starting to watch the games more closely. In the first three games, I've already seen a drastic improvement with the new tactics and I assume I should see some pick up by the end of the first quarter. Finished 2-1-0 against Pens (L), Canes (shutout W w/ rookie tender), and Flames(W), three teams which seemed to give me a lot of trouble in the past two seasons. I noticed I give up almost no 3rd period goals which is a relief. Assuming, knock on wood, this keeps up, this season will be far better than my last. PP is already up 6% from last season, but I'm sure that will level out.

Hutsutin
Junior League

Post by Hutsutin » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:59 pm

Season 2 starting..

What happened after season 1?

Draft:
1st round 15th pick - Roland McKeown, RD, Rigth, 6ft 1in, 189lbs
2nd round 45th pick - Reid Duke, C, Left, 5ft 11in., 174lbs
3rd round 75th pick - Reid Gardiner, RW/C, Right, 5ft 11 in., 174lbs
5th round 135th pick - Matthew Klebanskyj, LD, Left, 6ft 4in, 205lbs
6th round 165th pick - Scott Savage, LD, Left, 6ft, 169lbs
7th round 195th pick - Alexandre Sills, C, Left, 6ft 3in, 191lbs

UFA:
Nikolai Kulemin: 2-years for 1,952,000$ cap hit. (6th of July)

Trades:
Tomáš Tatár from Red Wings for rights to Riku Helenius. (5th of July)
Ville Leino from Buffalo Sabres for Ondřej Palát. (6th of July)

Players out:
Dmitry Korobov, Mike Angelidis, Mark Baberio, Alex Killorn, Pierre Cedric Labrie, Philippe Paradis, Tom Pyatt, Geoff Walker, Andrej Sustr, Matt Taormina to Free Agent.

I hope everything went like it should (rules).

So the depth chart for the next year:

Kulemin-Stamkos-St. Louis
Malone-Filppula-Purcell
Leino-Johnson-Panik
Tatár-Thompson-Crombeen
Drouin-Tyrell-Connolly
Gusev-Namestnikov-Brown
Hedman-Brewer
Aulie-Lee
Carle-Salo
Coté-Gudas
Lindbäck
Desjardins
Bishop

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Post by bruins72 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:22 pm

Hutsutin, I think you made an illegal trade. You are allowed one play for player trade and one trade where you're trading an older player for a pick OR a pick for an older player. You're not allowed to trade unsigned players at all. Do you have a backup save from before this trade?

mrballar
Junior League

Post by mrballar » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:34 pm

Looks good on everything except the Tatar/Helenius trade. Can't trade rights, and can only make one 1-for-1 player trade and one player-for-pick or pick-for-player trade (with age restrictions).

Finished Q1 of Season 3, 15-5-0 which was a pleasant bump from last season's 8-10-2 start. Finally got Stamkos back in his groove, putting up some serious points with Purcell, but haven't developed consistency on the PP yet (which is above 15%, up from 11.46% last year) and my PK is just under 90% (up from a horrid 75%). Wasted my UFA acquisition on Peter Budaj for around $1.9M since he was the best UFA tender option for under $3M. Ended up missing out on the 1st and 2nd overall picks but grabbed Maxim Tretyak with the 3rd pick. The kid's gone 14-3-0 with a .926SV% and 2.25GAA. He's tied with Tuuka Rask for most wins in the league and has the highest Avg. Rating of all NHL tenders after 20 games. All I can say is he makes up for the wasted UFA acquisition, and I believe he's projected to be a decent player, but probably not a top franchise tender.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:27 pm

So I finished my first season finally. I finished 7th in the conference and got matched up against the Rangers in the first round. They swept us without any trouble. I think my team was tired. My top two lines were leaned on too much. Stamkos' production slowed down over the last few weeks of the season and St Louis wasn't doing anything to help at that point. So it was a quick 4 and out for us.

I hit the draft and got Alex Forsberg in the first round. He fell into my lap at the 16th pick. He had been ranked 9th. The rest of my draft were defense and LWs. Nobody really of note though. They could turn out decent though. I'm happy with Forsberg though.

I fired the head coach at the end of the first season and hired Bob Francis, who had been my Assistant GM. I was able to hire Rob Zettler away from our AHL affiliate in Syracuse to fill the vacated Assistant GM position. I was able to fire Kirwan, one of the assistant coaches, and hire Ted Nolan to replace him. I figured he'd be good for our defense. I had already hired Parry Frank as my goaltending coach last season to replace the one assistant I was able to fire then. I fired two more of my sub-par scouts and brought in some really good guys too.

Once July 1st hit, I was very quick to jump into the UFA market and trades. I signed Cal O'Reilly and Tom Gilbert as my two UFAs. I was then able to trade Ryan Malone (was isn't what he used to be and is quite overpaid) to the Islanders for Cal Clutterbuck. These are show-stoppers but I think they'll round out my team better. I tried to trade Martin St. Louis away for a pick and had 2 teams (Avs and Blues) willing to cough up a 2nd round pick for him. He's just too old and tired for me and I'm moving on from him. Unfortunately, he wouldn't waive his NTC. I guess I'll keep him for now and use my pick for player later in the season and grab a veteran.

I'm going to continue to use Helenius as my starting goaltender but I wasn't really pleased with Lindback as my backup. Before last season, I signed Vasilevsky and he was able to come over at the transfer window. I'm going to give him at a shot at backup and see where it goes. Geoff Walker and Sami Salo were probably the only 2 players of note that I did not re-sign. Walker had been useless for the first season and I had no interest in retaining his salary. Salo was old and slowing down. He wasn't doing much for me anymore. The only good thing about him was his slapshot. I felt it was the right time to let him go. Oh and I've signed my 1st round pick, Forsberg and plan on giving him a shot on the big team. He'll be playing 3rd line and PK for now.

So this is what my lines are looking like going into the second season...

Paradis - Stamkos - Purcell
O'Reilly - Filppula - Clutterbuck
Gauthier - Forsberg - St. Louis
Tyrell - Thompson - Crombeen

Hedman - Brewer
Carle - Gilbert
Aulie - Lee

Helenius - Vasilevsky

I've got Cote and Korobov as extra defensemen and Tom Pyatt is my extra forward. I plan on using St Louis on the 2nd PP unit. Maybe he'll be more effect with less 5 on 5 icetime?

Hutsutin
Junior League

Post by Hutsutin » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:56 pm

Yeah, sure i have backup. Glad i asked now i know the rules better. Unfortunatly it was before draft so i have to draft again, but that is not big problem drafted same guys with same picks. :)

EDIT:
What about these trades, should be ok?

4th pick 2015 <--> Michael Garnett (31 years old)
Nikita Kucherov <--> Chris Higgins

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:09 am

That pick for player deal looks good. The Kucherov for Higgins deal looks good too.

mrballar
Junior League

Post by mrballar » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:34 am

bruins72 wrote:I tried to trade Martin St. Louis away for a pick and had 2 teams (Avs and Blues) willing to cough up a 2nd round pick for him. He's just too old and tired for me and I'm moving on from him. Unfortunately, he wouldn't waive his NTC. I guess I'll keep him for now and use my pick for player later in the season and grab a veteran.

I plan on using St Louis on the 2nd PP unit. Maybe he'll be more effect with less 5 on 5 icetime?
I've had similar experiences with St. Louis myself. I wanted to offer him a new 1 year deal in Season 2 but he wouldn't bite on a new contract until half-way through the season, and when he did he took about $1.5M less than he previous contract with the NTC included (tried many times to get him to sign without one). I'd have to assume that (if the game can do this) he is debating retirement. I'll be on the fence come trade deadline as to what I want to do with him. Hate to let him walk but he's old, not producing as much, and getting on the slow side. I have him stuck on PP2 but he hasn't done much for production. Once in a while he'll break loose on even strength but the young guys are out producing him. He's at a point where limited minutes are probably going to be best.

jesterx7769
Fourth Line

Post by jesterx7769 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:13 am

I am almost done with season 2 and St. Louis is still doing good for me. I have been playing him at LW since day one.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:13 pm

Man... I almost want to tank season 2 just to have a chance at drafting Nathan Noel. At 17 he's already looking like he would make a run for the #2 center job on my NHL roster.

jesterx7769
Fourth Line

Post by jesterx7769 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:23 pm

Yeah I hate those scout recommendations, I have it set for only 5 stars. "X player would be great" hmmm lets look at him, wow he looks good maybe I can draft him at 20th, oh look he is ranked 5th! ](*,) :rant: stupid scout.

Return to “Challenge Forum”