Challenge #31 - Future Boston Bruins - Discussion Thread

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

rocker87
Drafted
NOHL Team: Anaheim Mighty Ducks

Re: Challenge #31 - Future Boston Bruins - Discussion Thread

Post by rocker87 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:01 am

Jets won their second trophy in their history, 4-3 against Rangers. First was two years earlier.

rancer890
Top Prospect

Post by rancer890 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:33 am

Season 3, 40 games in. We're still hanging onto the bottom part of the Eastern Conference playoffs. We had a 13-7 record during these 20 games, and I'm pretty pleased with our season given the injuries.

Goaltending - I've been leaning more onto Astrom than Woodcroft because he's been more consistent

Astrom: 27 GP - 14-8-2, 3.16, .882, 7.44
Woodcroft: 15 GP - 6-7-1, 4.16, .852, 6.80

I was thinking when Bernier came back from injury Astrom would go back to Providence, but given his performance this half season, it might be Woodcroft headed to Rhode Island.

Defense - Up and down really. UFA signing Kaikkonen has been amazing and steady. Also lots of positives to say about Severson, Beausoleil, Carrier, and youngster MacKinnon. Berthet sucks.

Forwards - Jake Virtanen is back to his old self now, scoring boatloads in this quarter. His ratings in the past 15 games: eleven 10s, two 9s, and two 8s. With 28 goals, 30 assists in all 40 games, he's on pace his career high point total. He's not scoring as much, but on pace for his highest NHL rating of his career.

Anton Karlsson also doing well, but missed 9 games due to injury already. 18 goals, 19 assists and 37 points. Skoda has 20-32-52 in 36 games, Pare with 7-32-39 in 40 games, Schenn with 30 points (5-25) in 38 games, and Aberg with 15-15 in 38 games.

Only disappointment in Vandersteen, although he's being played on the 3rd line behind the 6 guys above so his production would have decreased anyway. 13 goals, 9 assists in 40 games.

Virtanen - Pare - Skoda
Karlsson - Owens - Aberg
Jacobson - Schenn - Vandersteen
Noble - Khomutov - Skudra

Carrier - Berthet
Kaikkonen - Severson
Beausoleil - MacKinnon

Astrom
Woodcroft

INJ - Gormley
IR - Bernier
Spares - Liebsch, Fahas

Still looking for a player for pick or pick for player trade, but nothing good.

eric1985
First Line
Favourite Team: Vancouver Canucks
NOHL Team: Atlanta Thrashers

Post by eric1985 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:15 am

Man, 2nd season going well so far, survived Bernier's 2 week injury, a few suspensions, Did my main trade, sent Skoda to the kings for Bennett, who lasted 2 games before he was out for 2 weeks, 2 games later Vitanen (My FA signing) went out for 4 months ](*,) :rant: . Should be an interesting few games coming up....

rocker87
Drafted

Post by rocker87 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:02 am

TBL is on again, finally.

Bruins 2026 draft picks:

26th Eric Crowther RD 6'2 189 lbs
56th Maurice McArthur C/LW 5'11 187 lbs
86th Andre Curtis RD 6'4 196 lbs
116th Brendan Lucia LW/C/RW 5'10 174 lbs
146th Broderick Heintz RD 6'3 205 lbs
176th Joakim Engevall G 6'5 174 lbs
206th Jordy Bulmer 6' 171 lbs

Traded Gormley for 2nd round pick just before 1st July. After that, Bernier retires. He wasn't great in PO, then I'm on two goalies and one is prospect. I was in need of goalie and I trade Vandersteen out for goalie Joel Montadon from Buffalo Sabres. He's not perfect starter, but with Haas, it will work probably. My UFA signing is Matthew Spencer, really can't find anything like him and it's really lame that all people will sign same player.

I'm trying to find out good line-up and now it looks like this:

Karlsson - Schenn - Lindblom
Jacobson - Owens - Dicks
Škoda - Khomutov - Aberg
Noble - Skudra - Polyanski

Riekkinen - Spencer
Carrier - Barthet
Severson - Beausoleil
Bykov

Montadon
Haas

Healthy Scratch: O'Brien (RW/LW), Bellier (C), Simek (LW/RW), Nordstrom (LD/RD)

I'm 32 games into third season and we're doing solid. Offense is great, but defense and goalies are not. Special teams were awful at begining, but now I see improvement. Škoda is out for 3 months. Dicks is really inconsistent, Montadon as well. Haas is nothing special. Barthet is awful this season and I'm trying to figure out how to make things work. I'll need a goalie and defense next season, don't know how to get all the stuff, but Nordstrom looks great, giving him year or two, then he'll play. Looks like he's not ready yet for NHL.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Post by bruins72 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:08 pm

So I haven't done an update since I started season 2. I know I mentioned signing Karlsson as my UFA. In late October, I got fired. I had actually been turning things around but I guess I had upset the board enough already at that point that I wasn't going to find my way back into their good graces. So I added myself back in. After hiring myself again, I set about going after a RD to solidify my blue line. I looked at all of the defensemen that met the criteria I was looking for (big, strong, defensive) and started making offers. I tried a 2nd round pick first on all of the guys that were 30+. No dice. So then I went about offering Berthet to all of the defensemen that I liked. Finally, I came across Ilshat Plotnikov. He's 6'6" 233 lbs. That's a big boy! He's got decent aggression and bravery, excellent stamina, and superb defensive abilities. His skating isn't that great and he could definitely be stronger at his size. He's not perfect but he's attainable and fits my needs. The trade screen only had him rated at 3 stars, so I figured I could get him for less than Berthet. I offered the Oilers Tichy and they accepted. So I used my player for player deal and it wasn't a blockbuster but I think it helped set me in the right direction.

I wanted to use Berthet as my trade chip but I wasn't going to just give him away when I could make the deal for less. Of course, I can send him down to the minors, so he's been a healthy scratch except for when he's needed to fill in for injuries and sometimes I have him play instead of Prikryl if his morale is dipping. Speaking of Prikryl, he won himself a roster spot by playing so solidly in the preseason and early in the regular season. His performance has dipped a bit but he's still done pretty well for a rookie with 8 poins, +9, and a 7.14 average in 29 games (the team has played 41).

I also had a couple other surprises to my roster. Both Noble and Skoda made the team out of camp and are doing quite well. Noble is my 3rd line C and sometimes centers my 2nd PP unit if he's been playing well. Putting him on the PP also helps get Schenn some rest. Schenn plays 2nd line C, 2nd PP C, and 2nd PK unit. Noble has 27 points, +12, and a 7.37 average in 41 games. Skoda is playing on Noble's RW on the 3rd line. He's also getting some PP and PK time here and there. He's got 25 points, +10, and a 7.78 average in 41 games.

I'd really like to land a vet for a 2nd round pick but it's so hard to work a trade when the salaries are so messed up and almost every team is under the cap. Despite that, I think I've got this team headed in the right direction. We've been floating between 2nd and 5th in our conference so far this season, usually sticking closer to 2nd.

batdad
The Great One
Custom Rank: Mr Technology
Favourite Team: Syracuse Bulldogs.

Post by batdad » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:39 pm

Good deal B72.

In playoffs in my 3rd year. Finished 4th, but only because the Leafs are so darn good. Without the division reseeding would have finished 3rd, and real close to 2nd place Rags. Beat Montreal in round one 4-1. BEnnett and Owens both out. Bennett for another week and Owens is gone for the year I think, with outside chance of coming back in finals.

Vandersteen ended up playing much better with the extra time he got due to injuries. When on 3rd line does not do as well as on 2nd or 1st.

In the regular season Sam Reinhart tied Matt Barzal (Colorado) for the league lead in points, but scored more goals so should win ARt Ross. The Sam Missiles both ended up over 100 points. Bennett with 50 goals, Reinhart with 44.

Went 50-24-8 during the season.

Off to round two. Buffalo managed to sweep the 2nd seeded Rangers in the first round, so I will not get the Leafs in round 2. Yay.

But I will get 3rd seed Washington who knocked off New Jersey.Ugh. Went 2-2 against the Caps this year.Winning 6-3 with Woodcroft in net, losing 3-1 with Woodcroft, losing 4-1 with Woodcroft and winning 5-2 with Haas.

Woodcroft ended up winning the starting role in the playoffs. Lost the first game and has been exceptional since.

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame
Favourite Team: New York Rangers

Post by Peter_Doherty » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:54 pm

40 games in now and the team is doing really well sitting at 4th. Jaskin is scoring for fun with 30 goals in 40 games, behind him noone stands out but the overall scoring is good. Åberg is really really streaky. My trade for Zientek stabilized the lineup really well, hes on PK duties and 3rd line LW and playing well. Had some minor injuries but nothing major.

Haas and Bernier is charing the duties in goal and have very similar stats so we'll see who takes the #1 role coming into the playoffs.

I'm just a few points behind the Leafs for the 1st spot in the conference, so hopefully we can get past them but i'm not that hopeful, they are so strong.

rocker87
Drafted

Post by rocker87 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:16 pm

Third 20 finished at 14-4-2. Sounds impressive? I was in crazy run but then black hole. 4 games only one point. Funny thing is that both of my goalies are in that hole together. That's why I lost 10-7 agains Islanders with 3 and 4 from GK ratings. Crazy. Vandersteen was great against me, we lost 5-0 against Buffalo, he was 2+2 in third line and 2nd PP unit. You got something to prove? Now it's too late.

4th place, Leafs are at same number of points (83) but with game in hand. Anton Karlsson have 53+59 after 60 games and +62. He also play some PK minutes. Looks like a steal of the decade with 3M contract 3 years each.

Yes, Leafs and Rangers are crazy strong in my game too. darn silly billies, you'll be over soon, Tuukka is near end, buahahaha.

Why we made this good run before black hole is probably my messing with lines. Barthet is my 7th defender now, he sucks. Severson doesn't have stamina for first pair, but that's only thing he don't have for that. That's why he's with Spencer. Carrier - Riekkinen are good together. Dicks is alive. In 59 games, he have 46 points, but his ratings are improved in last 25 games. He's good for 2nd line and PP unit is where his place is. Škoda - Khomutov - Aberg is great line and I would keep them like that.

We still have some needs, like core RD and defensive if possible, depth LW and franchise goalie if that's possible. I'll think about it later. First 22 more games and playoff.

jesterx7769
Fourth Line

Post by jesterx7769 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:17 pm

Baaaah I screwed up. Tried transferring the save to a usb for my work computer and somehow corrupted it :rant: just finished season 1 too, sending Archi a PM :(

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:23 pm

Totally sucks Jester.

Season 3 playoffs. Beat Montreal 4 games to 1.

Washington, won in 7 games, whipping them 7-3 in game 7

TORONTO--uh oh

Win game 1 in OT 3-2 winner (Severson from Schenn)
Win game 2 7-5 (Bennett with winner)
Lose game 3 5-3 (Forsberg with winner for them, and empty netter)
Lose game 4 5-2 (Etem)
Win game 5 5-3(Vandersteen with winner and empty netter)
Lose game 6 5-4 in OT (Backlund with winner for them)
Win game 7 in OT (Reinhart-Jacobson-Groleau with less than 5 min left in first OT)

PHEW.

Now off to destroy the Winterpeg Jets.

rancer890
Top Prospect

Post by rancer890 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:24 pm

60 games in, and we're still 7th. 9-9-2 record. We have been very inconsistent.

We just made a trade before our 60th game, trading Brandon Gormley to the Minnesota Wild for a 2027 2nd Round Pick. Unfortunately, they're the 3rd best team in the league so it'll be a late 2nd round pick, but it's a high pick and we could use it on someone good. This means Prikryl gets promoted from Providence.

Bernier has reclaimed the #1 goaltender spot because Astrom has been very inconsistent in the past few games. I have no idea whether to roll the dice with Astrom and Woodcroft but that's a concern for next season. Even without Gormley I'm still happy about our defensive group. Except Berthet of course. He's worse than Owens. I want to trade him in July.

Our best offensive players are Virtanen (39-37-76 in 60 games), Skoda (25-40-65 in 54 games), Karlsson (29-27-56 in 47 games), Pare (7-39-46 in 60 games), Aberg (22-23-45 in 56 games), and Schenn (7-37-44 in 58 games).

My goal is to just make the playoffs and hopefully we can hang on for the next 22 games.

Leeman14
Top Prospect
Favourite Team: Toronto Maple Leafs

Post by Leeman14 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:57 pm

Anyone else currently in the 25 to 35 year-old range and feeling very old while playing this challenge? I feel my own mortality when I see Jonathan Quick and M-A Fleury both 40 years-old.

Maybe it's just me?

eric1985
First Line

Post by eric1985 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:13 am

[quote="bruins72"]In late October, I got fired.quote]

I forgot about that, in season 2, I won my 1st game, got fired. Apparently, they didn't like me after the 1st season, Skoda made my team after camp, was trying to trade Dicks and Reijo the goalie, but couldn't much of anything for them, Kings loved skoda, so I moved him, maybe Dicks can move next year, had to play him in the minors since his CHL team seems to have released his rights.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:18 am

Wow. I got Sam Reinhart for Dicks. He has turned my team into a top level team all by himself.

eric1985
First Line

Post by eric1985 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:31 am

Man, Schenn has gone beat-mode in the playoffs, beat the Isles 4-2, the Lightning 4-1 and the Leafs 4-0, which has surprised me since i went into the playing not so hot. heading to the SCF now, looks to be the AVs. Virtanen came back from his injury near the end of the Lightning series, has 9 pts in 5 games, meanwhile Bernier is lights out and Carrier playing better then he ever has since i took over.

rocker87
Drafted

Post by rocker87 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:38 am

After 71 games played, we're qualified for playoffs with ** points. Nice season, now we're in 1st position, hoping to keep it.

Bykov is coming back from 3 weeks injury and Owens is out for 10 days. Nothing special, but Noble got his chance in 2nd line and PP duties instead Owens. He scored a goal. My crazy first line is on 336 points in 208 games combined.

Next game, Rangers. Fighting for a position 1.

Let's go Bruins!

rancer890
Top Prospect

Post by rancer890 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:36 pm

So, we qualified for the playoffs with a few games to spare (we were never in real danger to not make the playoffs given how the teams below us struggled) and we were really close to that 5th spot, but we settled for 6th place, with a 47-29-6 record with 100 points. First Round matchup: Henri Riekkinen and the 3rd seeded Carolina Hurricanes.

G1 - @ Carolina - L 1-3 - Bernier peppered with shots. We wilted. Noble scored our goal with 8 minutes remaining.
G2 - @ Carolina - L 2-3 - We had a 2-0 lead with 18 minutes left in the game with goals from Skoda and Carrier. But they scored three unanswered, including the game winner on the PP with under 5 minutes left by Mazanec. Wasn't a lack of trying outshooting them 33-24, but we blew it and heading back to the Garden down 2-0 in the series. Bernier also injured and with Astrom already injured, Woodcroft in.
G3 - v Carolina - W 3-2 - Once again we start hot with a 3-0 lead within the first 25 minutes of the game (Karlsson, Schenn, MacKinnon), but McDavid and Mazanec respond quickly and we're left to hold onto dear life. Woodcroft made 34 saves. 2-1 series lead by Carolina.
G4 - v Carolina - W 7-2 - Another must win. And we beat them with relatively ease this time. Virtanen with 5 points (3G, 2A) and Skoda added 3 (1G, 2A). We chased their starting goalie Cook out of the net after the 6th goal. Series now a Best-of-Three with the series all tied up.
G5 - @ Carolina - L 3-6 - We fell flat on our faces. Their first line of Savolanien-McDavid-Mazanec had 3 goals and 4 assists. We face our elimination game back home in Game 6. Astrom is healed up so Woodcroft out, Astrom in. Khomutov out, and Vandersteen in as well.
G6 - v Carolina - W 4-2 - Scoreless first followed by 2 goals each in the 2nd. It's tied all the way to just over the 2 minute mark, when Skoda scores. Owens adds an EN goal to clinch the game and head back to Raleigh for Game 7.
G7 - v Carolina - W 3-2 (OT) - Game 7 and it was not our stars who contributed but our grinders and role players. Skudra and Beausoleil scored for us, while the Canes responded with goals from Mazanec and Savolainen. Tied after regulation so going into OT. And our 4th line once again delivers. Noble from Skudra and Fahas just 1 minute into extra time. We comeback and win the series 4-3. :-D

With all 3 goalies rested, it's probably Astrom going forward, and with Bernier now healed, Woodcroft heads back to Providence to help them in the playoffs. We definitely have relied on all 3 this season (Astrom 46 regular season games, Bernier 28, Woodcroft 15).

Next up: the 5th seeded Lightning, spearheaded by Rocket and Art Ross winner Nick Ritchie (75 goals, 89 assists, 164 points), and Tyler Benson (69 goals, 72 assists, 141 points). Pare, Virtanen, and Skoda are going to have their hands full. :-D

rancer890
Top Prospect

Post by rancer890 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:15 pm

#6 Boston V #5 Tampa Bay

G1 - @ TB - W 3-2 - Virtanen, Owens, Karlsson
G2 - @ TB - L 3-5 - Aberg, Owens, Karlsson - Astrom out, Bernier in for G3
G3 - v TB - W 6-4 - Virtanen, Aberg, Jacobson, Owens, Karlsson, Noble - Chased John Gibson after 4 goals in 32 minutes.
G4 - v TB - W 4-1 - Virtanen (2), Skudra, Aberg
G5 - @ TB - L 1-3 - Karlsson - Bernier out, Astrom in for G6
G6 - v TB - W 4-0 - Virtanen (2), Skoda, Aberg

We neutralized Ritchie (1 goal, 4 assists - and 4 of those points in game 3) and Benson (1 goal, 2 assists) the best we could with Pare and Virtanen and came out on top.

Now we're off on the road again for the Eastern Conference Finals, this time against...the Leafs, who beat us 6 times in 8 games in the regular season. I'm sure after beating the Lightning and the Canes who boasted the top 4 point scorers this season, the Leafs shouldn't be hard to beat right?

We also signed 3 prospects with expiring rights, including 2025 2nd overall pick Ted Schroeder.

rocker87
Drafted

Post by rocker87 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:45 pm

We lost that game against Rangers, but our form at the end of the season was better then Rangers and Maple Leafs and we finish 1st. Our first President's Trophy under my management and second in history.

First round, Canadiens, we won 4-0. Nice start, time to rest players and enjoy the spring days in Boston.

Conference semi finals, Senators, they won against Leafs 4-3. We were down by one whole serie and last game was in Boston, which we won 5-3.

Conference finals with Rangers, they won against Tampa 4-1. We lost first and I change keeper for other 4 games. We won three and lost one. Montadon finish serie with 7 rating, but we scored 5th goal in OT and that was it. First Stanley Cup Finals since 2013 and lost against Hawks.

Our rival is Minnesota. They won Canucks in 5, Predators in 4 and Kings in 6. They were third in west after Sharks and Avalanche. Last year winners, Jets, were out in 6 against Stars in first round.

From start, it was somekind of one way road. They destroyed us in first two at home, 5-2 and 5-0. No help at all. Then we lost 4-3 in OT and I thought it's over. Then we won next two, 4-3 away and home game in OT, 5-4. Last game, we are destroyed with 5-1.

Their hero was Frederik Andersen, 37 year old Danish goalie with great performances. 3 times 10, once 9 in 5 games against us. We didn't have any real chance at all.

We have two best scorers, Karlsson with 71 and Lindblom with 60 goals, and with 146 and 126 points, they're league leaders. Schenn was 7th with 107 points. Really good season for them.

Now, preparations for draft and UFA time. We have 8 draft picks, second from Carolina from Gormley trade and it's 34th overall pick. Bad thing is that we don't have any other useless veteran to trade out, so, no additional picks. But maybe we could sign some usefull veteran for one.

EDIT: Someone notice Giroux history? He went to Wild in 2015-16 season and then three seasons in Bruins. After that, he went to Pens. LOL, that's real.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:17 pm

Wow semi final vs Leafs was something else.

Game 1: Toronto 3 Boston 1. Woodcroft allowed 2 goals in 5 minutes and was yanked. Could not pull off comeback.
Game 2: Boston 5 Toronto 3. Woodcroft back in and was sensational stopping 34/37 shots. Riekkinen scores twice.
Game 3: Toronto 6 Boston 3. Woodcroft lets in 2 on 5 shots again, yanked early. Haas not much better down 4-0 after 1.
Game 4: Boston 4 Toronto 3 (OT)- Haas gets start, does okay, Bennett scores 2nd of game in OT to win it. Clutch player.
Game 5: Toronto 6 Boston 2 -uh oh. DOwn 3-2. Haas stopped 37/43. Horribly outshot. Riekkinen injured for 10 days. Ouch.
Game 6: Boston 4 Toronto 3-on verge of elim, sit out Riekkinen. Owens dress early and rewards me, setting up 2 goals line 3
----------------------------------Skoda gone for 2 weeks from this game. Ouch. Woodcroft sensational stopping 30-33
Game 7: Boston 5 Toronto 3-up 5-1 after two, game not in doubt. Vandersteen injures hip, out for a month. Owens sensational again 2 goals 1 assist including winner. Playing 3 line minutes on one leg as ACL is still healing. Atta boy

Off to the STANLEY CUP FINAL....Boston vs Nashville.

Lineup for game 1 is a bit shaky as no Owens, no SKoda, no Riekkinen and no Vandersteen. Vandersteen is off to rehab and is gone for the playoffs. Others should all get back in somewhere along the way.

Bennett-Reinhart-Aberg
Jacobson-Schenn-Groleau
Khomutov-Skudra-Fahas
Hatcher-Noble-Liebsch

Hatcher is my 2025 4th round pick. Played 5 games for us in regular season and was not very good, but has been on fire in Providence 22-43-65 in regular season, and scored the last two game winners for them in their playoff match vs Binghampton. he is the only guy with Superb morale that has been playing decently up front, so gets the call to fill in here.

Keikkonen-Spencer
Carrier-Severson
Beausoleil-Chauvel

Woodcroft (started majority of playoff games. Haas has 3 starts and has appeared in 7 games.)

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:31 pm

2026 Stanley Cup Final Boston vs Nashville. Nashville has home ice advantage.

Game 1: Nashville 2 Boston 0. Woodcroft aweseome, everyone else very average
Game 2: Boston 2 Nashville 1 (OT). Guess who? Yep Mr Bennett again, actually scored both goals in this one. Series 1-1
---------Woodcroft pulls groin in 2nd period, out for 10 days. Ouch. Haas to start probably the rest of the games.

Game 3: Boston 3 Nashville 5. Decent game from Haas but team was horrible in front of him Outshot 32-19. Nash up 2-1
Game 4: Boston 4 Nashville 3(OT) Guess who? Nope Khomutov.Two goals from Liebsch in this one, and set up OT winner.
Game 5: Boston 4 Nashville 3. Jacobson with his first goal of series to win it with 8 minutes left.
Game 6: Nashville 5 Boston 3. Haas lets in 2 on first 3 shots, in goes Pope lets in 2 on 4. Back in Haas, and okay rest but nope. Series all tied and off to game 7.

Of course we are....Washington went 7, Toronto went 7, why not this one?

Game 7

1st period...

1. Boston Fahas (Schenn, Aberg) Fahas first of series, and 1st since game 7 vs Toronto, which was first since game 7 vs Washington. CLUTCH.

2. Boston Bennett (Spencer) pp. First PP goal of series.
3. Nasvhille goal blech

Boston up 2-1 after 1, Outshoot Preds 19-5

2nd period

4. Nashville goal blech.

2-2 Nash outshoot us 15-5 in period. Ugh.

3rd period

5. Boston Fahas (again wow)-(Owens, Reinhart) ANOTHER FREAKING PP GOAL.

Nashville gets 14 shots in this period, we get 5. but....

6. Boston SKUDRA --empty netter

BOSTON WINS 4-2 and wins their first Stanley Cup in moons.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:41 pm

On to the draft and 2027-28 FA etc

Prior to the draft (June 8) Boston trades Brayden Schenn to the St Louis Blues for the Blues 2nd round pick in the upcoming draft. It will be the 36th overall pick.

Draft

1st-30th-Jarred Booth 6'3 183 LW-University of Vermont. Likened to be a better version of Evander Kane
2nd-36th-Connor Smith 6'2 209 LD-Cedar Rapids/Northeastern University-Smaller but better Gudbrandson
2nd-60th-Chad Meagher 6'0 176 RW/C North Bay Centenniels --2 way forward, projected to be 1st or 2nd line guy.
3rd-90th-Tomas Kovacik-6'7 225 LD-London Knights. Monster sized Slovak projected as 3-4 Offensive Dman
4th-120 Donald Chipman-6'1 194 LD - Sherbrooke QMJHL-Skilled 3-4 dman.
5th-150-Weine Englund-6'1 167 G-Djurgarden Sweden-Swedish goalie projected as backup by 2 scouts, starter by 2 and 3rd by 3. He is likened to a poor man's Maxime Clermont
6th-180-Pierre-Herve Catelin-6'2 196 LW Chicoutimi Sangueneens Q-Likened to be a quicker Troy Jacobson
7th-210-Dwayne O'Reilly-6'2 171 C/RW-Ottawa 67s. Bigger Andrew Shaw, but to me looks exactlt like Vandersteen.

Free Agency--

Was looking for a LW. ALl that was out there was Jaskin, and I could not justify him for 2.5 mill when I have several guys who can play on that side, but are primarily RW. (Skoda, Groleau can both play there, Khomutov, Jacobson, Bennett, Noble)

So... Instead I decided to upgrade on the right side. No strong just RW players really avaiable in FA, and since this is the 5 mill year I wanted someone who is going to contribute a ton.

Sitting there were Kocecny and William Nylander. Both accepted offers, both are C/RW but Nylander even though older by a year, looks better. So I signed William Nylander to a 2 year 8.2 million dollar deal. (4.1 per)

Nylander will make the top line unstoppable, and the 2nd line PP will run real well with him.

I am not looking to make a deal right now, although the guys I am looking to move are

Vandersteen, Carrier, Riekkinen, SKudra or Khomotov for a good solid LW or D man.

Woodcroft has really developed quickly for me, and I am not looking for a goalie.

Lineup projection for 2027-28

Bennett-Reinhart-Nylander
Jacobson-Owens-Aberg
Skoda-Vandersteen-Groleau
Noble-Khomotov-Fahas
Skudra-(one spot for competition)

Severson-Spencer
Kaikkonen-Riekkinen
Carrier-Liebsch

Spot battle for Beausoleil and Prikryl

Woodcroft
Haas

Best news of the day....I will be over the cap floor.

rocker87
Drafted

Post by rocker87 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:10 am

Last season was our first when we were over the salary floor.

I'm not happy with my draft picks last years, not really improving like I was hoping for that. Only bright spots are Dicks (he could be better) and Nordstrom. Bykov is somewhere near, but still not good like I would like for him. I hope he'll be better with some experience.

Ok, now my draft:

29th - Kevin Courally C/LW 6'1 189 lbs - Power Forward, two-way player, great in stamina and skating skills, great face-offs skills. Bad ratings in aggression, anticipation, creativity and positioning. Really hoping for great 3rd line center and PK guy.

34th - Brennen Storey RD/LD 6' 207 lbs - Offensive Defenseman, picked by accident, but really not that bad. Great strength and speed, with 15 stamina. Bad in faceoffs (who cares), work rate and creativity. It was Carolina pick which I earn from trade of Gormley. Hoping for solid 3rd pair defender at least.

59th - Willie Dolan C 6'7 209 lbs - Utility Forward, two-way, strong, can't say enough about him. I think he's steal of the draft. Doesn't have bad things instead of consistency (3) and all skills are from 8-15. He's still 17 and I think he'll be great in 3-4 years.

89th - Joe O'Brien RW 5'10 163 lbs - Skilled Offensive Forward, pure scorer, I would say. Bad ratings in aggression, faceoffs, hitting and positions, great shot, skating abilities and influence. Consistency might be a problem. Hopefully good trade bait.

119th - Eric Watson RD 6'2 169 lbs - Skilled Defensive Defenseman, really great defensively, already have defensive skills for NHL, great aggression and really strong player. Bad ratings only in flair and faceoffs, with really good consistent. Can be great PK guy with a lot of stamina.

149th - Remi Low LD 6'3 194 lbs - Skilled Defensive Defenseman, somewhat copy of Watson, without aggression and with better flair. Consistency great also. Hopefully he will raise well and he's only 17 which is a big plus for him.

179th - Ted Reilly LW/LD 6'1 169 lbs - Enforcer, really great skating skills and teamwork, plus he can play both defense and wing. Bad thing, he's near 19 already, with low stickhandling and faceoffs only, which is not important for him.

209th - Jonathan Avenel RD/LD 5'10 189 lbs - Skilled Defenseman, not really count on him. He have great determination and influence, nice strength, but I don't know why I don't like him. I really don't, but who cares, he will be nice bait, if he'll play, solid PP guy.

Not really great, but hopefully we'll have nice defense in some time, without trading and signing big number of UFAs later in game.

Like batdad, don't have an option, but sign Nylander. Doherty, Ekman-Larsson, Johansson and Kane are too old, other like Reinhart, Barzal, McDavid, Draisatl, Pylon, Eichel are expensive and no really interesting goalie for this time. Better to take care of great center, because Schenn is getting older and we will trade him for second round pick later after season.

Nylander signed for 3.9M/year, 3 year contract.

I think we will be ok with those two goalies for now, because I want to keep my trade option for trade deadline when I see if there is some improvement in some positions or we will suck again in goaltending and few defensemen positions. Maybe Severson will be better option in 2nd pair, because of his awful stamina.

Signed few of my prospects: Bulmer, Curtis, Heintz and McArthur.

I think I'll start with something like this:

Karlsson - Nylander - Lindblom
Jacobsson - Schenn - Dicks
Škoda - Owens - Aberg
Khomutov - Nolan - Polyanski
Skudra

Nordstrom - Spencer
Severson - Riekkinen
Carrier - Beausoleil
Bykov, Berthet

Montadon
Haas

Yes, we have 4-5 other players fighting for position, we have nice depth.

I'll probably start with this, but like experience was in last seasons, it won't wait much for change(s).

@ batdad - Konecny asked 7.4M, you could sign him in 5M range?

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Post by bruins72 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:44 am

Congrats on the Cup, Batdad!

eric1985
First Line

Post by eric1985 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:47 am

SCF against AVS, Avs with home-ice
Took game 1 6-2 Schenn leads the way with 2g and an assist, Bernier with 27 svs
Snuck by game 2 5-4 in Ot. Virtanen and Vandersteen led the way this game with a G and 2 A apiece.
Lost Game 3 3-2 Bennet had 2 G and Schenn 2 A
Lost Game 4 5-4 in a heartbreaker, was up 4-0 at one point. Virtanen Led the way with 2 pts.
Lost 2-1 game 5, Bernier tried his best.
Won game 6 6-4 to force Game 7. Vanderscteen, Aberg and Virtanen led the way with 3 pts each
Lost Game 7 3-2 to end the season.

Overall very surprised to get this far, looking forward to next season.

Return to “Challenge Forum”