Challenge #31 - Future Boston Bruins - Discussion Thread

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

Salming
Minor League

Re: Challenge #31 - Future Boston Bruins - Discussion Thread

Post by Salming » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:09 pm

owens was in AHL and NHL, played like 40 games on each team. Zhakarov was my pick for 2c but i might have to reconsider next seson. He can play RW to.

Ye agreee about skouda, he will be good. Dicks was sent back to juniors after 59p in 70games. He will be called back sooner then he thinks.

My first seson ended with 74points and 34 wins 23rd overall.

rancer890
Top Prospect

Post by rancer890 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:10 pm

So, 20 games in now. These 20 games felt like another pre-season, because the retirement of Karlsson really set us back in figuring out who fit with who well, and as such we were inconsistent. We had a 12-8 record, go for 6th.

Injuries have been common (it's normal sadly), and unfortunately our prospects are even getting long term injuries, with Eric Watson out 3 months with a broken leg.

Goaltender: Jimmie Astrom is our starter, as Bernier's attributes have been slowly decreasing in the past 20 games. Astrom has a 8-3 record, with a 2.74 GAA and a .897SV% to go along with a 7.67 rating. Bernier hasn't been as long unfortunately, but he's still a dependable vet for the season. Woodcroft is playing in Providence, and will probably be the backup eventually.

Defense: $5 million man Ryan Pilon has been good (1G, 7A in 20 games, 7.85, and playing good defense). Our leading goalscorer is surprisingly Milos Prikryl, with a goal and ten assists in 20 games. We have a decent core group, with a good mix of youngsters and veterans. Not too sure what to expect from the group, but they're doing well for now.

Forwards:

First off, we made another trade, and it's with Carolina again. :-D

To Bruins: 34 y/o Dmitrij Jaskin
To Hurricanes: 2028 2nd Round Draft Pick

I really didn't want to give a 2nd, but they didn't accept a 3rd, and I was really really desperate because Quenneville got injured and Jan-Ove Eriksson was rubbish. So in comes a veteran LW in Jaskin, who had a career highs in goals (44), assists (62), and points (106) last season (playing with McDavid helps). He didn't go off to the greatest of starts (4G, 4A in 13 games) but he's going to help give us that veteran presence and much needed depth. And he doesn't have a long term injury issue, which helps. This also allows Quenneville to stay in Providence for the rest of the season. He only had 2 goals and 1 assist in 14 games.

The Virtanen - Pare - Skoda line is firing on all cylinders, but the rest of the lineup leaves a lot to be desired. Our second line isn't as strong as last season unfortunately, but hopefully Jaskin can replace some of the goals that Karlsson had last season. Our dud of the season is definitely Bryan Owens: he has 0 points in 20 games.

We also signed a new scout: Anton Karlsson. He's not a very good scout (10 JPA, 16 JPP) but he doesn't cost much (we got $5 million for his retirement) and at least he's still on the team in a different capacity.

My goal for the rest of the season: Just win and don't get injuries!

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Post by bruins72 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:03 pm

I've fallen behind several of you guys and need to catch up! I just logged my season 2 60 games stats. We're actually playing fairly well right now. This team is very inconsistent though.

rocker87
Drafted

Post by rocker87 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:16 pm

I played 60 games in season 4. 42-16-2 and safe first place in conference.

We're pretty good, on even strength we're damaging all other teams. PP and PK improved nicely, but I see that we need one shutdown defenseman and one good bottom 6 player to play PK as his first duty. Our attack is stacked nicely, even got problems to make first 6, because I think 8 of them can play that role. Troy Jacobson is 3 months out because of injury, but we don't have real problem to cover that. Other injuries are few-10 days, so far so good.

Nostrom is our wunderkind, 59 matches, 36 points, +42 and 7.71 AvR. Almost perfect player.

Now, I think we have more players then we need and need to be careful because of salary cap. We're still low, 49M, but need to be smart and with two bad moves, we could be near cap. Anyway, don't know what we need more then two players I mention above and I really don't know what to do after that, to be a challenge. Maybe I'll need something like rancer. :razz:

batdad
The Great One
Custom Rank: Mr Technology
Favourite Team: Syracuse Bulldogs.

Post by batdad » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:52 pm

Started great in season 4. Now I have lost 5 in a row. SO I made my trade. Vandersteen to Anaheim for Bartek

rancer890
Top Prospect

Post by rancer890 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:05 am

40 games in, and we're doing great. 26-12-2 and fighting with Montreal and Toronto for the division lead. Our special teams are much better than previous seasons. Of course, we're one or two big injuries away from derailing our season so who knows. Just happy that right now we're doing great under the circumstances. The Jaskin acquisition (13G, 12A in 23 games, 8.13, +4) has been fantastic for us, and so far, that 2nd round pick looks like a good investment in the short run.

I'm most happy about my balance. I don't need Virtanen to shoulder the scoring load like in Season 2, because we have a lot more offensive power. We already have 7 players who have 10+ goals in half a season. And speaking of goals, we're 2nd behind Tampa in Goals per Game, which is a plus given Karlsson's retirement.

We survived for half a season, and hopefully we can survive another half season.

batdad
The Great One
Custom Rank: Mr Technology
Favourite Team: Syracuse Bulldogs.

Post by batdad » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:39 am

My team is playing ridiculous hockey. Averaging well over 5 goals per game through 40 games. I have scored 10 a couple of times, 15 once, 11 once. I think it is only 6 games out of 40 I have not scored at least 5. Too bad I have two sieves. I outshoot everyone 55-20 and sometimes lose 6-5.

IN the second 1st set of 20 games

William Nylander 11-16-27

In the second set of 20 games

William Nylander

19-27-46. Yes 46 points in 20 games.

Owens also went insane, as did Reinhart and Bennett once I moved Vandersteen for that big monsterous Duck Winger.

jesterx7769
Fourth Line

Post by jesterx7769 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:28 am

jeeze how the heck did you guys make any trades? Seems like almost every team is under the cap.

Salming
Minor League

Post by Salming » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:53 am

jesterx7769 wrote:jeeze how the heck did you guys make any trades? Seems like almost every team is under the cap.
Ye realy hard make trades. Boring part is everyone is getting the same dudes couse there are very few options. And as there is 1 trade per seson everyone will have a core of same dudes hehe.

Salming
Minor League

Post by Salming » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:11 am

Seson summery 1st seson

Draft 2024
1 6 Herman Dicks- First team winger. 1PPG player
2 36 Vadim Stas- Tlanted winger
3 66 Fredric Axell- Talanted winger
4 96 Hans Bergren- Talanted winger
5 109 Ian o Brian
6 126 Branislav Pastor
7 186 Alexander Vasilyev

Seson 1
No trades
NHL- Bruins
Stats 34W, 42L 74P
Key players Schenn
Players in Dicks
Players out -

AHL- Providence
Stats 54W, 23L 11P
Key players Vandersteen 33G 40A 73P

EHCL
Stats 56W, 13L 115P
Key players Stas 41G, 41A 82P
Draft 2025
1 8 Albin Nordström- Strong 2way defender with good stamina and speed.
2 38 Mojomir Bondra – Huge talent, ranked 1 on my talent team report
3 68 Georg Kucera
4 98 Nic Carrier
5 128 Vadim Bykov
5 131 Marty Thocker
6 158 Andrej Rezek
7 188 Markku Santanen

Salming
Minor League

Post by Salming » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:00 pm

batdad wrote:Started great in season 4. Now I have lost 5 in a row. SO I made my trade. Vandersteen to Anaheim for Bartek
Nice trade. Bartek rooks in my game.

Who u got as keeper? I am starting seson 3 and bernier getting old and hes performance is dropping, and i am not sure rejasalo can replace him...

rocker87
Drafted

Post by rocker87 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:04 pm

@ Salming - Stas is really good in my game, nice pick.

Now, standard story about Bruins:

We finish 1st with 120 points, 58-20-4, 380 goals scored, 246 goals against. President's trophy, second in a row.

Nylander - 133 points in 78 games
Karlsson - 120 points in 75 games
Dicks - 99 points in 82 games
Škoda - 93 points in 82 games
Owens - 77 in 82
Lindblom - 56 in 39

Playoffs, first round against Senators and goalies situation wasn't good in last few games. I put Haas two last games on goal and try to make him ready for playoffs.

vs Senators 6-2
vs Senators 8-1
@ Senators 5-1
@ Senators 2-3 ot
vs Senators 9-2

Haas was great, 8.25 AvR, all players were great.

Semi-final against Maple Leafs:

vs Leafs 5-3
vs Leafs 8-5
@ Leafs 5-6
@ Leafs 5-3
vs Leafs 10-1

Montadon played two last games, but Haas wasn't bad, I just need a change. Dicks was our hero in this round with 7 goals and 9 assists.

Conference finals was against Rangers.

vs Rangers 6-2
vs Rangers 4-1
@ Rangers 5-2
@ Rangers 3-2

Haas was great, defense did awesome and it was great to see Rangers down 4-0.

Stanley Cup finals against Wild like last season:

vs Wild 6-2
vs Wild 1-5 Haas was changed
@ Wild 5-2 Montadon was great, 31 save in this game.
@ Wild 2-4 Montadon was changed
vs Wild 5-6 ot
@ Wild 3-1
vs Wild 4-2

First SC after 2011, Boris Kresinger is a hero in Boston. Owners will make a statue in front of Banknorth Garden for him.

After that, we trade Aberg for 2nd round pick to St. Louis Blues. Fans are anger after trade. Who cares, I'm SC winner, I know what I'm doing.

Draft 2028:

30th - Chad Turnbull LW 5'11 165 lbs - Two-way forward. Bad ratings in aggression, influence and work rate. Great ratings in agility, determination, teamwork 20, deking, wristshot and all others are over 10, mostly over 12.

32nd - Steven Besch C 5'11 180 lbs - Power forward. Bad ratings only in creativity and positioning, all others are really good. Influence, teamwork and bravery are very high.

60th - Patrick Gentges C/LW 6'3 171 lbs - Skilled forward. Bad in anticipation and creativity, great in skating skills, work rate and face-offs. Hopefully, he will have more lbs in near future.

90th - Joe Weber RW 6'2 218 lbs - Enforcer. Anticipation and flair are not good, but stamina, strength, influence and defensive skills are great. He will be my goon.

120th - Marian Hudec RW 6' 185 lbs - Skilled forward. Great in speed, flair, teamwork and no bad ratings. Nice pick, probably bad ratings made him this high, but I plan to pick him from the begining.

150th - Pierre-Herve Fougere LW/RW 6'2 171 lbs - Skilled forward. Great in aggression, agility and stamina, bad only in flair. Great pick, one more steal?

180th - Clive Basiuk LD 6'2 165 lbs - Skilled offensive defenseman. Solid in all skills but anticipation and faceoffs.

210th - Manuel Prestberg G 6' 189 lbs - Stand-up goalie, 22 years old, but he can be solid in some time. I just need this one because of our goalie depth.

Now we're looking for our FA. Nothing really great, but solid offers in two-way forward and solid defenders. We'll pick one player, even I don't know where to put him, I think we have all we need, with solid potentials coming soon.

rancer890
Top Prospect

Post by rancer890 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:47 pm

@ Salming: Nordstorm AND Bondra? You're going to have a beast of a team by Season 4.

We went 14-2-4, and leading the division by 10 points at the 60 game mark. We're not the highest scoring team (if you look at the standings compared to rocker or batdad), but we got the best defense, as we give up only 2.6 goals a game.

Astrom has been great for us, a 28-8-5 record, a 2.51 GAA, 8.21 rating, and 2 shutouts. Bernier has transitioned to a backup job, but still a reliable goalie: 12-5-1, 2.63 GAA, 7.79 rating, and 2 shutouts.

My defense has been great. Kaikkonen went from our top defenseman last season to our 5-6th guy. Young guys Prikryl and MacKinnon playing key minutes and doing great. Pilon has been everything but a pylon, leading us in all offensive categories and 10th in the league in points at his position.

My scoring among forwards hasn't been as proficient as years past, but we don't need to be. Virtanen isn't even on pace for 50 goals on the season, as Skoda is leading in that department (32 in 56 games) and he's 26th in the league overall. Lots of depth and we're on a roll. Hope for a last great 22 regular season and a solid run in the playoffs. We're playing at our best in this challenge.

Quenneville doing well in the minors too: 24 points (8-16) in 37 games, and a 7.54 rating. And add 109 hits. Berthet is the 7th defenseman for the Hurricanes.

eric1985
First Line
Favourite Team: Vancouver Canucks

Post by eric1985 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:27 am

Salming wrote: 3 66 Fredric Axell- Talanted winger
4 96 Hans Bergren- Talanted winger
Nice, I thought i was the only one who drafted both. although, in season 3, Berggren is breaking out, while Axell looks GREAT!! He still has like 11 speed and 12 stam and only starting to preform for Providence.

Salming
Minor League

Post by Salming » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:17 am

rancer890 wrote:@ Salming: Nordstorm AND Bondra? You're going to have a beast of a team by Season 4.
Ye i got em both. Going into the draft i wanted Nordström couse of hes speed and stamina. He was my main target. I had never looked at bondra before but my scouts recomended him when i made the pick. Summer after draft he went up to 18 wrist shot and in training camp he made strides for a rooster spot right away at age 19 wich i gave him and sent away Åberg for a 2nd and making room for the young speedy winger. Very happy with this pick.

Salming
Minor League

Post by Salming » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:19 am

Seson 2
Ufa sign William Nylander 3m/3y
Trade Schenn for Ducks 2nd pick
Trade Vadim Staas for Sens Samuel Bennett
NHL- Bruins
Stat 48W-25L 105P east 4th
Playoff : Conf. Final, 5 players in top 10 injuried, Lost to rags 1-4
Key players Nylander, Bennet, Dicks , Vandersteen, Skoda
Skoda 35G 51A 86P- Calder winner

Players in Skoda, Pastor, Bennet, Nylander, Vandersteen, Owens
Players out Schenn,
AHL- Providence
Stats 45W, 30L 93P 1st athlantic
Key players Nordström
EHCL –South Carolina
Stats 68W 3L 137p 1st south
Key players Noble, Berggren, Axell, Ellis (128p!)

Draft 2026
1 21 Eric Crowther – A big and strong stay at home defender
2 35 Radek Rezniek – Czech center, technical and a rough gem, although very low stamina
2 51 Thomas Lundmark –swedish keeper, extremely gifted and consistent
3 81 Bengt Åke Sundberg Mayby AHL winger
4 111 Sergei Davydov Mayby AHL winger
5 141 Manuel Prestberg AHL Keeper
6 171 Willie Manielli AHL Keeper
7 201 Michael Heming a dude

Salming
Minor League

Post by Salming » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:04 pm

Bruins s3
Ufa sign Matthew Spencer 3m/3y- Great defensive player with superb skills
Trade Åberg, for Ducks 2nd pick , 17/10 2026- To many good young wingers made the 33 year old an 3rd line winger, so was cashed in for a draft pick.
Trade Skoda for Sabres Gudin ,17/10 2026- Calder winner Skoda left club for a keeper. This was the only way they accepted offers on Gudin and I was forced to give him up. I tried hard to get another good keeper but prices was to high or they simply refused. Gudin might be to young now but in long run he gives me stability and will be important piece of franchise for a long time. This deal made me regret getting Dicks as I have been able getting forwards wish are better later. Would been much better taking him right away and using my 2nd trade for something else.

20 games into S.3 the team looks like this
Forwards
Axell-Nylander-Dicks
Berggren-Bennett-Bondra
Jacobsson-Owens-Vandersteen
4 Very young wingers in the top6 playing with superb veterans as centers. Bondra and Berggren been rushed to team mayby a little bit to early. I wanna try build chemistry and friendship amount the young wingers as I want em to be at the club for a very long time.
(khomotov,zhakarov,fahas subs for injuries)
Defence

Carrier-Spencer
Nordström-Riekkonen
Seversson-Barthet
Pastor-Gormley
I play with 4 defensive pairs. This force got different skills so Barthet Pastor play PK and carrier Carrier Spencer Nordström play PP. I am not happy with this setup and will make changes in future. 3 of the defenders are weak with the puck and not good passers. A few of em are bad skaters also. Nordström are changing partners between Riekkonen and Spencer as I try to see who can mentor him on ice best.

Keepers
Bernier,Gudin,Rejasalo
Bernier and Gudin share the keeper duties. Rejasalo is backup keeper and get very little icetime. Gudin is the future here and Bernier is adding veteran experience and leadership to him.

Overall The team is built for future. 6 Players under age of 21 of the 19dressed. Hopefully the team can contend for the cup in 2-3 years.

Salming
Minor League

Post by Salming » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:40 pm

By december Bernier retires and leaves a heawy heawy burden on the young keeper Gudins shoulders.
Bergren and Bondra are in the race for who can score most points of the rookies. This will make for the most fun seson so far with this bruins challange.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:25 pm

Finally finished the regular season in season 2. Finished 3rd in the conference, 5th in the league. I've got the Sabres in the first round and I think we should be able to get by them. Also, Karlsson had a 50 goal, 100 point season. He made up those last 4 points (2G and 2A) in the last game of the regular season.

jesterx7769
Fourth Line

Post by jesterx7769 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:14 pm

Finished season 2, finished 4th in conference and lost in the first round to the Islanders :( Split time between Gubin and Bernier who also missed time due to injury. Gubin did decent but wasn't as good as Bernier, I think he had around a 3.5 GAA to Berniers 3. Virtanen was stellar and huge pick up, once I traded for Nylander they really skyrocketed. Defense will be the concern for this upcoming season if I can sign and trade for one I think that will help lots.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:46 pm

I've completed the first round of the playoffs, beating the Sabres 4 games to 2. Bernier was stellar! He really stepped up his game. Owens and Vandersteen were pretty bad though and kind of brought down Karlsson's play. I'll be keeping an eye on them in this next round against the Capitals. I might have to look at acquiring a Center for season 3.

Salming
Minor League

Post by Salming » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:40 pm

bruins72 wrote:I've completed the first round of the playoffs, beating the Sabres 4 games to 2. Bernier was stellar! He really stepped up his game. Owens and Vandersteen were pretty bad though and kind of brought down Karlsson's play. I'll be keeping an eye on them in this next round against the Capitals. I might have to look at acquiring a Center for season 3.
Owens Vndersteen do good for me. They play same line. Jacobseen-Owens-Vandersteen.

U should give em a chance!

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:01 pm

They did fairly well during the regular season but not so well in the playoffs.

rancer890
Top Prospect

Post by rancer890 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:56 pm

Finished up season 4 with a 12-8-2 record in the last 22 games and we won our conference.

We swept the Sens relatively easily before facing the Lightning in the playoffs for consecutive years. We lost in 7. :-(

We have a lot of positives though:

1) Jimmie Astrom has been a solid #1 goalie for us, as the 2025 5th Rounder finished the season with a 35-5-6 record in 58 games, with a 2.68 GAA, a .900 SV%, an even 8 rating, and 3 shutouts. Bernier went 17-6-2 in 26 games in a backup role, with a 2.48 GAA, .899 SV%, a 7.85 rating to go along with 4 shutouts. We had the best GAA in the entire League which I was very happy with. Bernier will leave as Woodcroft will be the backup.
2) Our scoring was down, but we have a lot more depth. 11 players had over 10 goals, and 6 had over 20 (our top two offensive lines basically). Lots to improve on, but 3rd overall pick in 2025, Ted Schroeder, had 18 points (4-14) in 25 regular season games to go along with 8 points (2-6) in 11 playoff games. He looks NHL-ready for a full season in the League next year.
3) Prospects-wise, I think we're in good shape. 4 of my draftees have already graduated to the Bruins (Astrom, MacKinnon, Prikyrl, Schroeder), 1 prospect is really close (Quenneville), and we have some good prospects in the pipelines who can contribute in the next couple seasons (Hatcher, Crowther, Kaufman and maybe Bykov).

Schenn will leave as an FA, while Aberg will be resigned to a 1 year contract (trade bait during the season). We have a lot of centers on the current team and we can have Skudra or Noble taking faceoffs more often. We traded our 2nd round pick this year, so only 6 picks in the draft.

I'm probably going to look for another vet defenseman in FA post-draft, I think we're fine at all three forward spots.

rancer890
Top Prospect

Post by rancer890 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:59 am

2028 NHL Draft:

We only have 6 picks, because we traded our 2nd Rounder to Carolina.

Rd 1 (26th overall) - RW/LW Bogdan Vasilyev (Rubin Tyumen/Rus-2), 6'2", 176 lbs - He has fantastic attributes, but his actual stats are bad (14-11-25 in 40 games with an MHL team, 6.38). But I think he can be great. With no picks in the 2nd round, I wanted to make a great pick. I've played it safe in years past and our 1st and 2nd round picks haven't panned out exactly as I hoped. Not great on defense, low determination, and won't ever block a shot, but we got a ton of those guys already. I need offensive playmakers and he can do that. I want to bring him over to North America with South Carolina.

Rd 3 (88th) - LD Benediktas Lukenskas (Kitchener/OHL) - 5'11", 156 lbs - He's from Lithuania fyi :-) . He's small, but he has very good physical attributes, including 20s in Acceleration, Speed, and even a 17 in strength. Not much offensive upside, but he could be a good 5-6 guy.

Rd 4 (116th) - G Krister Uski (Hokki/Mestis) - 6'5", 187 lbs - Lidstrom says he's good, so he's good. With Bernier leaving, and me not having any confidence in Woodcroft or Pope (Bjork isn't developing as well as I hoped), and of course my long-standing tradition of having my starting 'keeper injured for 2 seasons), I need a reliable and good backup. And I think Uski could be that guy. Attributes wise, he's already better than Bjork. But I'll bring him over and all my drafted goalies, play in South Carolina and the ECHL to get maximum confidence. Scouts say he can be a starter. Gotta keep the Scandinavian goalie train going. :-D

Rd 5 (146th) - LD/RD Anatoly Burt (Rimouski/QMJHL) - 6'3", 185 lbs - He's got decent skills across the board, nothing really standing out. A quick and nimble player who needs to keep working on his defensive skills in junior.

Rd 6 (176th) - LW/RW Johnson Foy (Saginaw/OHL) - 6', 200 lbs - Got great skill, good work rate and teamwork, very aggressive (20) and can hit. He's already 19 so he can go pro the year after next. He can bring a lot of sandpaper and you can't be wrong with a 6th round pick.

Rd 7 (206th) - LW Michael Astrom (Vaxjo J20/S20-1) - 6'2", 187 lbs - Didn't really know who to draft, but Lidstrom gave him 4 stars and he has a decent report card so why not. No one else looked better.

Return to “Challenge Forum”