Challenge #31 - Future Boston Bruins - Discussion Thread

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Re: Challenge #31 - Future Boston Bruins - Discussion Thread

Post by bruins72 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:01 am

So I ended up making it all the way to the conference finals. We almost made it to the Stanley Cup Finals. We had a 3-1 lead in our series but the Rangers came back to win the next 3. The Rangers then went on to fall behind in the their Finals series versus the Wild before mounting yet another comeback and winning the Cup. Overall, I was proud that we were able to get this far in season 2. We beat the Capitals (who were one of the 2 teams ahead of us in the standings) and almost beat the Rangers. I expected to make it past the Sabres and then get ousted soon after that. We also got some injuries late in the playoffs that forced me to play rookies. Lothander got some playing time after joining joining the team, as did Chamberland. I even called up Dicks when Karlsson went down with an injury.

Salming
Minor League

Post by Salming » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:16 am

rancer890 wrote: 3rd overall pick in 2025, Ted Schroeder, had 18 points (4-14) in 25 regular season games to go along with 8 points (2-6) in 11 playoff games. He looks NHL-ready for a full season in the League next year.
He looks good in my game. Very solid attributes with no soft areas. Mayby not 1st liner but very good 2nd liner with nice physicals and huge work rate and superb passing game.
I got him on my short list and have even tryed to trade for him from hawks who got him in my save.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:09 pm

So I had my draft for the second season (3rd draft of the game though... the 2026 draft). Since I made it to the conference finals, I had a late pick. 26th overall.

Rd 1 #26 Aaron Ross 6' 163 lbs LW/RW CAN 18 y/o
Despite his light weight, he plays a pretty physical game. My scouts compare him to a smaller, speedier, and more talented version of Milan Lucic. Green attributes in Speed, Determination, Team Work, and Hitting.

Rd 2 #56 Ludvig Ronnback 6' 191 lbs LW/C SWE 18 y/o
Scouts says he's a skilled forward with first line potential. Compare him to a more talented version of JVR. His only green attribute is Team Work but he looks pretty solid all around.

Rd 3 #86 Ronnie Lindblom 6'4" 220 lbs RD/LD SWE 18 y/0
He's a big bodied defenseman. Scouts say he's a skilled defenseman with 1-2 potential. They project him as a bigger, better version of Erik Woods. Only green attribute is Strength.

Rd 4 #116 Dan Hatcher 6' 191 lbs C/LW/RW USA 19 y/o
I took him a round or two before where he was ranked but he looked interesting to me. Plays all forward positions. Scouts say he's a utility forward with second line potential. The project him to be like Jordan Staal with a smaller frame. Has green attributes in Stamina, Bravery, Teamwork, Faceoffs, and Pokecheck. I really like the makeup of this kid. He'll be playing in the NCAA next season (as he did last season). I'll sign him next season and put him in the AHL.

Rd 5 #146 Conrad Asell 6'1" 165 lbs G SWE 18 y/o
The scouts say he'll be a backup goalie and he's got a butterfly style. They compare him to Vasilevsky with a smaller frame. He's a guy I just took a flyer on at this point.

Rd6 #176 Zachary Morgan 6' 169 lbs C CAN 18 y/o
My scouts say he's a power forward with 2nd line potential. They project him as a smaller but better version of Kamil Horava. Has green attributes in Strength and Stickhandling.

Rd7 #206 Fredik Brodzinski 6'3" 178 lbs LW USA 19 y/o
You don't expect much out of a 7th round pick, so you take chances. He was an unranked NCAA player. My scouts say he's a power forward with 2nd line potential. He's projected as like Marcus Foligno or a poor man's Stefan Noesen. Has green attributes in Acceleration, Stamina, Bravery, and Workrate.

Not a bad draft. I'm fairly pleased with it.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:19 pm

I just added some crazy to my locker room. I signed Tortorella and Fuhr as assistant coaches.

And like many others, I also signed Matthew Spencer like most everyone else. I've had my eye on him since trading was first allowed in season 2. I wasn't going to pass up signing him as a UFA.

rocker87
Drafted

Post by rocker87 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:07 am

Start of season 5, UFA signed is Vladislav Prybil. Czech, 29 years old, 6'1 224 lbs power forward, good in attacking and defending. He'll be good for my third line. Contract is 3M/year, 3 years.

Lines:

Karlsson - Nylander - Lindholm
Škoda - Schenn - Dicks
Jacobson - Owens - Prybil
Orlov - Khomutov - Thocker
Noble,

Nordstrom - Spencer
Severson - Riekkinen
Carrier - Beausoleil
Bykov

Montadon
Haas

That's how it will look after 20 games. In the begining, Owens was in 2nd, Schenn in 3rd, but I wasn't happy with my second line. Especially with Owens and Dicks. Looks like Dicks will be traded if he continue with his inconsistency. I can't say I'm unhappy, because we're 16-1-3 in first 20 games, but I think we can give more in second line. That's why I need to change some things.

On the other side, both goalies are doing really good job and defense is great. The problem is my PK, only on 76%. Don't know what to do with it. Well, hopefully I'll find nice lineup for my PK soon.

rancer890
Top Prospect

Post by rancer890 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:07 am

Salming wrote:
rancer890 wrote: 3rd overall pick in 2025, Ted Schroeder, had 18 points (4-14) in 25 regular season games to go along with 8 points (2-6) in 11 playoff games. He looks NHL-ready for a full season in the League next year.
He looks good in my game. Very solid attributes with no soft areas. Mayby not 1st liner but very good 2nd liner with nice physicals and huge work rate and superb passing game.
I got him on my short list and have even tryed to trade for him from hawks who got him in my save.
Schroeder is a solid player for me. Will go between the 3rd and 2nd lines.

We signed our FA, 29 year old RD Alexander Lindblom, to a 3 year contract with a $3 million cap hit. First choice was Matthew Spencer but he went elsewhere. We also promoted Lidstrom to AGM and Forsberg down to scout.

Time to start season 5 and here's the lineup:

Virtanen - Pare - Skoda
Jaskin - Owens - Aberg
Quenneville - Schroeder - Vandersteen
Skudra - Noble - Polyanski

Pilon - Lindblom
Carrier - MacKinnon
Kaikkonen - Prikryl

Astrom/Woodcroft

Spares - Fahas, Beausoleil, Severson

We're going with 8 defensemen, mainly because they all have to clear waivers, and I'm more interested in trading one of them than giving one away for free. Bykov and Kaufman didn't make the team and are in Providence, but they are subject to waivers so I can't recall and send them down without letting the other 29 teams a chance to get them for free. Might need to trade one of my defenseman to lessen the clog we have now. We have a great goalie and a solid defense. Hopefully our offense can chip in as well.

Top Prospects:

1. Bogdan Vasilyev (W) - 2028 1st Round Pick - South Carolina (ECHL) - will try to keep him there the whole season and just have him dominate the ECHL. Struggled in pre-season with both Bruins teams.
2. Krister Uski (G) - 2028 4th Round Pick - Hokki (Finnish Mestis) - Unfortunately no NHL Release Clause so he stays in Finland for the season...
3. Ted Schroeder (C/RW) - 2025 1st Round Pick - Boston (NHL) - will start his first full season in the NHL.
4. Eric Crowther (RD) - 2026 1st Round Pick - Providence (AHL) - he tore his ACL in late April so spent a portion of the summer rehabbing. Will start in the AHL because of a numbers game but he could use more pro experience at the lower levels.
5. Jared Booth (LW) - 2027 1st Round Pick - Providence (AHL) - who knows if he can be a good NHL player, but he'll be in Providence to hone his skills.
6. Rodi Bonar (D) - 2027 2nd Round Pick - Guelph (OHL) - will hopefully play key minutes with the Guelph Storm this upcoming season.
7. Dominique Michaud (W) - 2027 2nd Round Pick - Prince Albert (WHL) - he's an overage player this season, so he should be a key player for the Raiders. We got enough players in the minors, and he should play key minutes in his final year in junior hockey
8. Likit Bjuhr (W) - 2027 4th Round Pick - Rouyn-Noranda (QMJHL) - didn't invite him to camp to stay with his junior team for pre-season. He'll be a key player for the Huskies in their attempt to make their 3rd consecutive appearance in the MasterCard Memorial Cup
9. Eric Watson (RD) - 2027 3rd Round Pick - Kelowna (WHL) - entering his 4th season in the WHL, Watson should be a key player and contribute for the Rockets.
10. Hans Downing (C/RW) - 2025 2nd Round Pick - Providence (AHL) - a somewhat disappointing season in the AHL for Downing, but hopefully more experience mean better production
11. Peter Funk (F) - 2026 7th Round Pick - Providence (AHL) - A great rookie season in professional hockey for Funk as he won the ECHL Rookie of the Year. It's something to build upon at the AHL level for the former Northeastern product.
12. Ville-Matti Lohtander (W) - 2024 7th Round Pick - Providence (AHL) - Not a great season in Providence after a good year in South Carolina, but hopefully more experience means better games and production.

rocker87
Drafted

Post by rocker87 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:20 pm

40 games mark, 32-3-5. Nylander is already on 89 points, Karlsson and Lindblom just 10 points behind.

I made my trade:

To Rangers:
Zech MacKinnon

To Bruins:
Cody Quenneville

He's already on my third line and playing some PK minutes. Looking good so far.

I start cleaning the house, 8 prospects will go away. They're 21-23 years old already and they're not close to Bruins roster. Our goalies are inconsistent in last 10 games, like every year before... well, at least other players are doing good and we will be first for sure.

batdad
The Great One
Custom Rank: Mr Technology
Favourite Team: Syracuse Bulldogs.

Post by batdad » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:45 pm

60 games in to season four

Team averaging over 5 goals per game still. Winning like 7-5 and 8-4 games, and then will win 2-0. Cracks me up.

Nylander with 100 points at 60 games. Wow.

Reinhart and Owens each with 90.

Since coming to the team Bartek 25-31-56 in 42 games. Great addition.

At 60 games I have 4 30 goal scorers (Nylander, Bennett, Owens, Reinhart)

Jacobson has 28, Skoda has 22 and Bartek with 25.

7 30 goal scorers as a possibility? Wow

Gould (14th overall in 2025), Hatcher( 4th round-104th 2025), Eliis (12th overall 2023) and Pope (4th round-102nd in 2023)are all averaging well over 8 in the AHL at this point. Looks like lots of guys ready to make the jump.

This may be my last season. Getting too easy now.

rancer890
Top Prospect

Post by rancer890 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:27 am

20 games into Season 5:

We're not setting the world on fire in goalscoring, but we have continued with our strong defense (2nd in GAA). Astrom is a solid 10-2-3, a 2.43 GAA, .905 SV% and 2 shutouts already. Woodcroft has also be good in his 5 games (3-2, 2.40 GAA, .897 SV%, 8 AvR).

Offensively it's the top 6 guys again. Points totals: Virtanen 27, Schroeder 23, Aberg/Skoda 19, Jaskin 16, Pare 14. Bottom six is still a bit uncertain. I sent Quenneville down again but he'll be coming back up again because of injuries.

Defense doing decent, although it's tough juggling 8 defensemen. It's a solid group but with lots of young talent in the AHL, I wouldn't mind giving them a chance in the near future.

The only cons so far is our inconsistency, and our inability to win in the shootout.

Bogdan Vasilyev only has 10 points in 15 games with South Carolina, with a 6.4 rating. We got a lot of young guys who are getting called for some experience because of injuries unfortunately. Just improve our consistency on the ice on offense and defense and we should be in good shape by the half-season mark.

Still trying to find a trade, but no one's biting for my players. Having a ton of teams below the cap doesn't help either.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:30 pm

Did anyone else draft Hans Berggren in the 2024 draft? I took him in the 4th round and he's looking like he could turn into a stud. The scouts project him as a bigger, better version of Ivan Nikolishin. Right now he's got green attributes in Anticipation, Creativity, Passing, Stickhandling, and Wrist Shot. He's a LW but also plays RW. He needs some work on the physical side of things (strength, stamina, and skating), so I'm starting him off with 3rd line LW duties and LW time on the 2nd PP unit. I'm hoping he can handle it.

rancer890
Top Prospect

Post by rancer890 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:07 pm

bruins72 wrote:Did anyone else draft Hans Berggren in the 2024 draft? I took him in the 4th round and he's looking like he could turn into a stud. The scouts project him as a bigger, better version of Ivan Nikolishin. Right now he's got green attributes in Anticipation, Creativity, Passing, Stickhandling, and Wrist Shot. He's a LW but also plays RW. He needs some work on the physical side of things (strength, stamina, and skating), so I'm starting him off with 3rd line LW duties and LW time on the 2nd PP unit. I'm hoping he can handle it.
He got drafted in the 4th Round by the Oilers and he's pretty much a stud now. 102 points in his sophomore season (2027-28) and another PPG pace this year. He has 211 points (94-117) in 199 career games so far. Won the 2026/27 Calder.

40 games into season 5:

11-8-1, very inconsistent by our standards. We would win a couple then lose a couple. We're relying a lot on Jake Virtanen again, as he has 29 goals, 36 assists (65 points) in 39 games. Only Skoda and Pare are over a PPG pace while Aberg and Schroeder are just a bit under a PPG.

Astrom and Woodcroft are a bit inconsistent in this quarter, but we're hanging in there. Astrom can keep us in games while Woodcroft can't stop a beachball lately.

We have a glut of defensemen, and we might be close to acquiring someone for one of our guys on the current roster to make room for Crowther. It's a bit of a challenge, because the salaries have to match, but we're close. Many of my inquiries for top players on struggling teams this season have been turned down, but we have a good looking shortlist with our hardworking scouts looking at every team in the league.

Forwards, we have a good top line of Virtanen - Pare - Skoda, and the Jaskin - Schroeder - Aberg line has been good as well. Bottom 6 aren't ideal but I got Polyanski and Reilly as my enforcers and they're winning fights at least. Called up Reilly for toughness and he has 64 PIM in only 9 games. He already has a 14 PIM, a 17 PIM, and a 29 PIM game. :-D

Prospects:

South Carolina (ECHL): Bogdan Vasilyev has been much better lately, with 28 points (12-16) in 31 games and a good 6.84 rating. His scoring output is good for 26th in the ECHL. 7th Round Pick Michael Astrom has also been good, with 15-15-30 in 31 games and a 7.29 rating. He's nothing special, but it's good development for a 7th round pick.

Providence (AHL): 2026 7th Round Pick Peter Funk leads the team in scoring (9-19-28 in 30 games, 8.23). He hits (101) and can win faceoffs (72%) as well. He already played 6 games for the Bruins as an injury replacement, without a point. Not too bad for a guy picked 198th.

Next on the list are 2027 1st Round Pick Jared Booth (11-13-24 in 23 games, 7.78), who could use better acceleration but overall a good player, and 2024 7th Round Pick Ville-Matti Lohtander (9-11-20 in 36 games, 7). Lohtander is still very inconsistent (it's only a 3), but he has improved with experience. Dan Hatcher, our 2026 4th Round Pick, is also another guy to watch: he has 6-11-17 in 22 games and was scoreless in 12 games with the Bruins this season.

Hoping for more consistency in the next 20, tighten up the defense a bit, and hopefully we can make our one-for-one trade by the next update, preferably a young forward.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:42 pm

rancer890 wrote:
bruins72 wrote:Did anyone else draft Hans Berggren in the 2024 draft? I took him in the 4th round and he's looking like he could turn into a stud. The scouts project him as a bigger, better version of Ivan Nikolishin. Right now he's got green attributes in Anticipation, Creativity, Passing, Stickhandling, and Wrist Shot. He's a LW but also plays RW. He needs some work on the physical side of things (strength, stamina, and skating), so I'm starting him off with 3rd line LW duties and LW time on the 2nd PP unit. I'm hoping he can handle it.
He got drafted in the 4th Round by the Oilers and he's pretty much a stud now. 102 points in his sophomore season (2027-28) and another PPG pace this year. He has 211 points (94-117) in 199 career games so far. Won the 2026/27 Calder.
Nice! Thanks! :thup: I also got him in the 4th round, so I'm guessing that's where his ISS ranking landed him. He seems to be a diamond in the rough though.

jesterx7769
Challenge Moderator

Post by jesterx7769 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:09 pm

I drafted him and is on the edge of NHL ready towards the end of year 3. The problem is my LW situation is essentially loaded so I don't know if I will bring up or not, may use him as trade bait. My LW situation towards the end of year 3 is Virtanen, Axell, Jacobson, then on the right side its Aberg, Skoda, Vandersteen. I also have Travis Pelletier I drafted who has been spot starting for injuries.

rancer890
Top Prospect

Post by rancer890 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:33 pm

So, I have made a trade.

Bruins acquire: C/LW/RW Erik St. Pierre
Rangers acquire: RD Milos Prikyrl

We were looking for a young forward and we got a good one in St. Pierre, the 3rd overall pick in the 2026 NHL Draft. He was originally the Blackhawks selection, but for whatever reason they did not sign him and he signed with the Rangers as a free agent this past summer. With Hartford of the AHL in his first season in pro hockey, the 21 year old had 7 goals and 15 assists in 30 games, with a 7.87 rating. Scouts have lately said that he has 2nd line potential, which is good enough for me considering my first line of Virtanen - Pare - Skoda won't change anytime soon. He along with Jared Booth, Peter Funk, and Dan Hatcher are probably the first ones to be considered for a roster spot in case of injury.

Leaving the club is young defender Milos Prikryl. Boston's 3rd round pick (66th overall) in the 2024 Draft, the 23 year old Vsetin, Czech Republic native has spent part of 4 seasons with the Bruins, the last 1.5 seasons as a regular on the blueline. In 41 games, he had 3 goals and 11 assists with a 7.51 rating. This move allows the Bruins to recall #1 prospect and 2026 1st Round Pick Eric Crowther from Providence to be a regular on the Bruins.

I also had another trade that I obviously cancelled, and it was Bryden Woodcroft to Dallas for 23 y/o Jean-Michel Boucher. I'm going to try to make that trade in early July if nothing better comes up. Boucher has been very consistent and Woodcroft has been horrible. I still have Pope, Bjork, and Uski, although I don't really trust the first two names to be reliable in a pinch either.

I could make my player for pick trade before the deadline, but Jaskin and Aberg are still doing well so that might have to wait till after the Cup finals.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:56 pm

Dallas took Berggren in my game. Kid is 21 and a stud. Not strong, and not big but lots of green technical, and only skates a 12. But he is 26-27-53 in 62 games for a naff team.20 passing, 18-19-19 slap-stickhandle-wrist. 6'1 191

I remember looking at him in the third round and again with both my 4th rounders. Passed over him for bigger guys in the 4th, and should have taken him (Caillard and McLaren). But got Prikryl in 3rd so not that bad. But yeah....should have taken him even in the 1st round. :)

rocker87
Drafted

Post by rocker87 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:34 pm

In my game, Berggren was picked #115 by Stars. I picked Marty Thocker #109. He's 23 yo, 232 games, 215 points in three seasons. His skills are really good, only 9 in strentgh, aggression 2 and anticipation 7, but other... balance 17, anticipation 18, creativity 20, passing, slap-stick-wrist same as batdads situation. He's really good. I was thinking about him, but... eh.

Anyway, I finish season 5. 58-15-9 in regular, Nylander 153, Lindblom 141, Karlsson 128 points.

First playoff round, against Capitals:

vs Caps 5-2
vs Caps 5-2
@ Caps 7-3
@ Caps 6-7
vs Caps 5-4

That lost was with awful goaltending from my side, 53-30 shots for me.

Semi-finals, against Rangers:

vs Rangers 3-1
vs Rangers 5-0
@ Rangers 3-2
@ Rangers 2-3 ot
vs Rangers 3-1

Conference finals:

vs Leafs 4-2
vs Leafs 6-3
@ Leafs 5-1
@ Leafs 4-2

Stanley Cup finals:

vs Kings 3-0
vs Kings 4-3
@ Kings 4-2
@ Kings 3-4 ot
vs Kings 6-0

Really impressive if you ask me, nothing special different from last season, but it was very easy.

Now I'll trade Schenn for 2nd round pick. Nothing special to improve, so... don't know what to do. :help:

jesterx7769
Challenge Moderator

Post by jesterx7769 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:44 am

Just won the cup in season 3, I thought I was gonna lose to the Leafs or Rangers but ended up getting past them. Oddest/funniest thing about the season is Nylander domianted with 125 points...but he was my only player over 100! :dunno:

edit: Bernier won Vezina! That never happens! 2.57 GAA and 8 so

Salming
Minor League

Post by Salming » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:22 pm

Yes. He devolped nicely in my game. I traded him for jerome Thomas.
Problem with bergren was he had stamina 9 and was tired all the time.

In my game hes ranked best left winger in game byt the top 10 ranking begining of s.5

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:42 pm

Year 4 :

Bruins go 60-15-7 and in the playoffs 16-0-1. So close to perfect. darn Leafs beat me in game 2 of round 2.

Playoff point leaders:

Reinhart 11-21-32
Bennett 11-18-29
Nylander 14-15-29
Bartek 4-18-22
Jacobson 7-13-20

Plus Owens over a point per game (injured for 5 games)

Regular season #s are ridiculous.

Team set records for

1. Most points in a season. 127
2. Most goals in a season 420

Individual player stats are nuts Never had things like this.

Goals

Bennett 51
Nylander 50
Owens 44
Reinhart 41
Jacobson 40
Bartek 38 (plus his 4 in Anaheim for 42)
Skoda 32

2 50 goal scorers, 4 4 goal scorers, and 1 30 goal scorer. Um insane.

Assists

Nylander 88
Reinhart 81
Owens 70
Bennett 58
Skoda 50
Bartek 49

Nylander 138
Reinhart 122
Owens 114
Bennett 109
Bartek 83 (plus 8 in ana 92)
Skoda 82

Tons of PIMs led by Khomutov 492, Liebsch 306, Bartek 117 (plus 33 in Ana 150), Kaikkonen 103, Jacobson 92.

GOALTENDING

Woodcroft 53 GP- 29-12-3 2.98 .882 3 SO
Haas 43 GP-30-3-4 3.09 .869 3 SO

What makes me laugh, is team won more games with Haas even though he was the one yanked from the most games. Also started Pope in the 82nd game of the year and he played whole game. Tons of yanks during the season, but only actually lost 2 games when I yanked the goalie. Yanked Haas 4 times when I had a lead. :-D

Playoff goaltending....Woodcroft started game 1, sucked in game 2 and yanked. Haas took over then got injured in round 3, and Woodcroft finished that round and the Stanley Cup final (yanked 4 times)

Never had a team with such bad goaltending and D...and now I know how to score like crazy.

Rarely (until playoffs) did I do anything other than Normal-equal and Normal-Normal for line use.
Having Nylander, Reinhart and Owens as top line C/RW allowed me to switch the top two lines regularly which totally kept the opponents from matching me and checking someone specifically with checker type players. So could not shut me down for any length of time. Having Bartek, Bennett and Jacobson as LW provided the same thing. Add in Skoda and Groleau....and ridiculousness ensued.

Groleau only had 15 goals all year and then with Owens hurt stepped up in playoffs and scored 11-5-16.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:32 pm

2028 NHL Entry Draft

Slim pickings for the Bruinsat 30th.

1st round-30th-Aiden Laplante 6'0 180 RD-Spokane Chiefs WHL All scouts say Mobile 1-2 dman.
2nd round-60th-Aku Jalonen 6'5 176 G-HCK Finnish Metsis-All scouts say starting goalie.
3rd round-90th-Moe Palmer 6'7 213 C- Waterlook USHL (committed to Merrimack) 3rd line power forward. Picked for size.
4th round-120th-Ben Weigant 6'3 218 C - Augsburg DEL (German big dude, had to have him)1st line power forward
5th round-150th-Cristof Tausch 6'4 200 LD/RD Acadie-Bathurst QMJHL (Another big German) Skilled Offensive D 3-4 or 5-6
6th round-180th-Gauthier Avenel 6'4 187 RW/LW Moncton Wildcats QMJHL 2nd line D power forward
7th round-210th-Remi Low 6'3 194 LD Regina Pats WHL-2 Mem Cup appearances, Skilled Offensive D 3-4 potential, 2nd time in draft.

Not the best of drafts. However I sim one day and guys are all after my 2nd round pick, the goalie Aku Jalonen. San Jose offers a package. Just to see I negotiate and they are willing to give up their stud goalie Rico McCallum who at 22 has already played 2 full seasons in the NHL with over 8 average ratings. He has won the World Jr twice, was a 2nd team all star in Q, Pres Cup in the q, and in his only year in the AHL won best goalie, MVP, and Rookie of the year awards. Hmmmm... wish I could make that deal.

Off to Free Agency and the new season. Not really looking at doing much.

I am letting go of:

Fahas
Aberg
Khomutov
Skudra
Carrier
from my roster.

I am looking into FA for a starting goalie or a top level D man or RW. We shall see....

Also Woodcroft is RFA and 2nd year in a row will not sign. Expecting him to go to arbitration, and winning the Cup twice may have insane demands. apparently does not like me, though I have never done anything mean to him.

Projected 2028-29 lineup

Bennett-Nylander-Owens
Bartek-Reinhart-Skoda
Jacobson-Noble-Groleau
Gould-Ellis-Hatcher
FA signing or traded for player and Thocker

Severson-Spencer
Haikkonen-Riekkinen
Beausoleil-Prikyrl
Liebsch (perhaps Meichtry or Paaltama)

Woodcroft
Haas

(perhaps UFA signing or trade bait or Pope)

rancer890
Top Prospect

Post by rancer890 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:55 pm

Is the 2028 Draft where we draft regens that are same in everything but name? Your Aku Jalonen looks an awful lot like my Krister Uski. Same height, from the Finnish Mestis league, except my guy weighs 189 lbs. He was born on Aug 26, 2010 in Espoo.

There were a lot of teams interested in him too dealing up to the draft.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:01 am

2028 World Cup a whole lot different from 2024.

2 Czechs-Skoda and Prikryl (who was on rookie all star team)
4. Finns-Riekkinen, Kaikkonen, Paltamaa, Kapanen
1 Swede-Nylander
1 German-Liebsch
1 American-Owens
1 Slovak-Bartek

What kills me is no Reinhart, no Bennett. They only dominate the league. The reputation thing is ridiculous with those two in particular getting shafted.

rancer890
Top Prospect

Post by rancer890 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:29 am

Tell me about it batdad. Virtanen was clearing an All-Star with the numbers he was putting up, but no, they chose other guys and also Skoda, which I thought was puzzling...

rancer890
Top Prospect

Post by rancer890 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:01 pm

2029 NHL Draft

Before the draft, we made one trade:

To Pittsburgh: W Pontus Aberg
To Boston: 2029 2nd Round Pick (33rd Overall)

In the previous Aberg had 31 goals and 38 assists for 69 points in 74 games with a 7.57 rating. The only downside was that he's already 35. This will help ease the roster congestion a bit and give one of our young players a chance to be in the top 6 and contribute on the PP as well.

Now, onto the draft.

Rd 1 (28th overall) - RD Remy Darche (Moncton/QMJHL) - 6'2", 174lbs - This young offensive defenseman already has solid tools, although he lacks 'green' attributes. He has a good mental makeup (Model Citizen, Realist, Modest) and straight A's on his report card. He will need some development but he's a solid pick at 28. In his first season with Moncton, he has 5 goals and 29 assists in 70 games, with a 6.97 rating. He added a goal and 2 assists in the 7 playoff games, with a 7.29 rating.
Rd 2 (33rd) - RW Torgny Holmqvist (AIK/Sweden) - 6', 171 lbs - A young right winger with lots of speed and flare. A lot of my scouts really like his overall skillset, although don't expect him to a great defensive player. He struggled against men, with a 6.09 rating and 6 points (4 goals and 2 assists) in 46 games, but he'll come to North America and we can ease him in at the ECHL level with South Carolina.
Rd 2 (58th) - RD Otakar Vychodil (Slavia Jrs/Czech Republic) - 6', 220 lbs - Another young right handed defenseman who is more of a defensive defenseman, and compared to Neil Luukko. He has good speed, but he lacks the technical attributes in many areas. He's young but he has a lot of potential (1-2) according to all my scouts. In 35 games with Slavia Jrs, he has 10 goals and 33 assists in 35 games, with a 7.37 rating. If I bring him over this season, he's best off in the ECHL.
Rd 3 (88th) - C/RW Derrick Townsend (Minot/NAHL) - 6', 185 lbs - A young and quick winger with solid defensive instincts. He committed to UAH during the season and will stay there for at least his freshman year. He's got good potential and players who have good defense will always have a role on my teams.
Rd 4 (118th) - LD/RD Andre Ostlund (Vaxjo J20/Sweden) - 6', 176 lbs - Another defenseman from Europe taken in this draft. He lacks the upside of Vychodil but he can skate and hit so that's a plus. My preference is to sign him and put him in the ECHL.
Rd 5 (148th) - RD Yvan Dugas (Acadie-Bathurst/QMJHL) - 6'2", 174 lbs - A solid young prospect with good instincts on both the offensive and defensive side. He needs more development but he's someone with a bright future.
Rd 6 (178th) - LW Henrik Burakovsky (Oskarshamn/Sweden) - 6'3", 211 lbs - Young player who has already developed into a very solid two-way player in Sweden. He also has straight A's on his report card. I really do hope he can exceed the scouts prediction of being at most a 3rd line player, but in the 6th round, he's a steal. I think he's best off signing with Boston and spending the year in the ECHL.
Rd 7 (208th) - C Hans Harrysson (Malmo/Sweden) - 6', 185 lbs - Best of the rest. Not great, but he apparently has 1st line potential, so why the heck not.

We are starting to clear out some of our older prospects that I drafted with LW Daun Ayotte (2024 Draft, 4th Round), D Woody Kaufman (2024, 5th), C Felix Allard (2025, 3rd), and LD Vadim Bykov (2025, 7th) being released. 2023 12th overall pick Charles Anthony Ellis will also not have his contract renewed.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:08 am

Ladies and gentlemen...introducing your 2 time defending Stanley Cup Champions...the 2028-29 Boston Bruins.

General Manager-Beastie Boy
Head Coach-Cory Clouston

Line 1- Sam Bennett-Sam Reinhart-Troy Jacobson
Line 2-Andrej Bartek-William Nylander-Jan Skoda
Line 3-Jadon Groleau-Bryan Owens-Kasperi Kapanen
Line 4- Tristan Gould-Stephane Noble-Dan Hatcher
Extra-CA Ellis Leibsch

D1-Kael Severson-Matthew Spencer
D2-Jonas Kaikkonen-Henri Riekkinen
D3- Yoann Beausoleil-Milos Prikryl
Extra- Joel Paltaama- Liebsch.

LOve having a guy like Liebsch, tough and can play 4th line LW, or 3rd pair D plus PK in both roles. Great guy to have around.

However...it is time for a couple of players that did not make this team to be here. Namely:

1. Incredibly improved in the off season 2027 1st rounder- LW Jared Booth. He is looking like a stud now, and had a very good preseason with 8 points in 5 games.

2. Incredibly improved apparently, but not showing in his attributes. 2024 7th round pick RW Marty Thocker. 12 points in 6 pre season games, 3 fights and won them all.

3. Unbelievably improved in off season-2026 1st round pick-RD Eric Crowther.

4. Super improved in off season again, 2nd straight year-2025 5th round pick- RD Dany Meichtry

So once October 15th comes around will be moving Paltaama or Beausoleil to get one of the dmen up to the team (Likely Meichtry but whoever is playing the best on the farm)

The bolded guys are my new arrivals.

Kapanen was my off season UFA-3 mill for 2 years. Really was nothing else out that I could get for 3 mill that was of ANY interest.

Gould-1st round pick 2025, 46-58-104 last year in Providence his 2nd year on the farm and 2nd straight 40 goal season in the AHL (only 2 years there)

Hatcher-4th round pick 2025, has played 8 games over last 2 years in Boston, and last year in Providence scored 17-51-68. He is going to be a good PK guy.

CA Ellis-1st rounder 2023... the last 1st round pick of the previous regime, he has taken awhile to get here. Has filled in in some spots over the last 3 years with injuries playing 21 games in the 3 years as a Bruin. IN 5 preseason games this year went 2-10-12..was my top scorer in exhibition. 2nd was Gould. Then Skoda, Kapanen and wow....Hatcher.

So all 3 of the rookies and my new UFA were amazing in the pre season. Ellis is a healthy scratch for game 1.

Goalies- Haas, Pope

Woodcroft is injured and out for another week. He is on IR. When healthy Pope will go back to Providence, but will likely start one of the games he is up for at least.

Return to “Challenge Forum”