Challenge #34 - Carolina Hurricanes Discussion Thread

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Challenge #34 - Carolina Hurricanes Discussion Thread

Post by bruins72 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:35 pm

All Challenge 34 talk here!

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Re: Challenge #34 - Carolina Hurricanes Discussion Thread

Post by bruins72 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:29 pm

Okay, so I'm just diving into this one and figuring out my roster. Man! This team looks pretty bad. Oh and the fact that Jordan Staal is on the IR for 6 months really hurts! I went and figured out my tentative 10 core roster players. Despite wanting to include Jordan Staal on that core list, I really couldn't because he'd never make his minimum games played by the time he gets back into the lineup. Also, I've got to keep in mind that I'll need a homegrown player next season. I'd like to save Lindholm for that but I don't think I have that luxury. I need him in the lineup this year (plus now that I look at his history, he played 58 games in the 2013/14 season, so he's not eligible). I have a feeling I'm going to have a player that I don't really want playing in my lineup for a few seasons.

jesterx7769
Fourth Line

Post by jesterx7769 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:15 am

Yay for new rosters and challenge! Glad I decided to check today! After being MIA for summer its time to get my hockey fix again wooot!

Has there been any talk about rule changes I've really missed?

edit: nvm found the new rules

Prowl
Drafted
Favourite Team: Calgary Flames

Post by Prowl » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:02 am

This roster is terrible. It wouldn't be as bad if Jordan were healthy, but you're about an injury to Staal away from having Riley Nash or McClement as your 2nd line centre!!

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:50 pm

Yeah, these guys are pretty bad! I'm also seriously disturbed by the lack of toughness on this team. If you can't be good, at least be tough!

](*,)

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:15 pm

Are the Rangers in cap trouble at the start of the game? They just traded Kreider to the Sabres for a 1st round pick during the preseason.

Tupe
Junior League

Post by Tupe » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:49 pm

Yeah that did happen in my game too, don't know about cap problems though.

I'm wrapping up season 1. Currently 4th in east with 94 points, 73 games in. Just lost Ward for 4 months..

batdad
The Great One
Custom Rank: Mr Technology
Favourite Team: Syracuse Bulldogs.

Post by batdad » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:33 pm

SKinner suspended for 1st two games of regular season. And I could not even appeal it. Not that I would have won the appeal.

Tough decisions on who to keep and who to send down. Rask played really well, others did not but he is the only thing even approaching a homegrown player on this roster.

Now to set my core for this season. That should prove fun. OR not.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:39 pm

Roster looks like this

Skinner-E Staal-Semin
Gerbe-Mclement-Lindholm
Tlusty-Nash-Osala
SHugg-Dwyer-Jared Staal
Nemisz

Faulk-Murphy
Gleason-Sekera
Liles-Hainsey
Harrison-Bellemore

Ward
Khudobin

*signed Osala in training camp, as he had 3-2-5 in 4 games, and was doing well. Continues to play okay.
*Jordan Staal of course IR, waiting to come off for playoff run.
*Off to a great start 3-0-0. Beat Tampa 2-1, beat Philly 4-2, beat Tampa 5-3

*Problem sets in in Tampa game. NAthan Gerbe, he of 3-2-5 in first two games, in spite of his midgetness, goes down for 8 months with torn ACL. Ouch, call up Brody Sutter...oh yay. At least he played well in his 3 games on the farm

*E STaal--0 points in first two games, 1-1 in third.

Gerbe 3-2-5, playing with McCLement 0-3-3 and Lindholm 2-2-4 on 2nd line was really finding chemistry. Hope the bond was McClement-Lindholm, not Gerbe and anyone. Tlusty now draws into that Gerbe slot.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:12 pm

I'm starting to think that maybe I should have signed Osala. The forward depth on this team is horrible. I had Rask on my NHL roster for all of the pre-season and he looked good but once the regular season started, he was terrible. After 3 games, I sent him down to the AHL and brought up Nemisz. I'll give him a shot. We could have a revolving door between the NHL and AHL until we find a fit.

Tupe
Junior League

Post by Tupe » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:58 pm

Finished season one. 5th in the conference. In the playoffs won series against Tampa 4-2 and then lost 4-1 to Capitals who won the Cup later. Playoffs were a bit lazy effort for my part, but too late to cry about that.

I played Rask too much that I should have (should have stayed in the AHL), so choosing a homegrown player for next season was a bit difficult. I went with Rissanen and will be saving Fleury although he played really well in the preseason. Also took Zacha with 21st pick in the draft.

Starting season 2 with lines like this:

Semin - E. Staal - Stamkos
Faulk - Sekera

Skinner - J. Staal - Moore
Gleason - Murphy

Rask - Bellemare - Gerbe
Rissanen - Hainsey

Osala - McClement - Dwyer

Ward - Khudobin

Put quite a few players trough waivers, but only lost Liles, I can live with that.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:09 pm

Stamkos? How did you land Stamkos?

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:47 pm

I made a waiver claim to solidify my fourth line. I got Matt Martin, who had been put on waivers by the Islanders. He can hit and he's decent in enough other areas where he's not going to be a liability. I wish I could have landed a decent center but I didn't want to let Martin slip away.

Tupe
Junior League

Post by Tupe » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:50 pm

If I understood correctly you can trade two B tiers to one A tier? So Tlusty + Lindholm for Stamkos. Or can you only trade your own A tier to two B tiers from CPU team? I have a saved game before the trade just in case if that is so.

Animal31
Fourth Line
Favourite Team: Abbotsford Heat

Post by Animal31 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:20 pm

bruins72 wrote:Yeah, these guys are pretty bad! I'm also seriously disturbed by the lack of toughness on this team. If you can't be good, at least be tough!

](*,)
Okay there Brian Burke

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:44 pm

Tupe wrote:If I understood correctly you can trade two B tiers to one A tier? So Tlusty + Lindholm for Stamkos. Or can you only trade your own A tier to two B tiers from CPU team? I have a saved game before the trade just in case if that is so.
Nope. You were allowed to make that kind of trade. I'm just surprised they took it. I was hoping to avoid the ability to trade for mega superstars like Stamkos (throw in Crosby, Ovechkin, and a few others). As I said, I didn't have a chance to really test out these new rules. This challenge is definitely a learning process in that regard. If we use these rules again, maybe in the next challenge I'll find a way to make guys like Stamkos unattainable.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:49 pm

Animal31 wrote:
bruins72 wrote:Yeah, these guys are pretty bad! I'm also seriously disturbed by the lack of toughness on this team. If you can't be good, at least be tough!

](*,)
Okay there Brian Burke
I didn't say I wanted to go in favor of toughness over skill! I'll take a fast, skilled team in EHM any day of the week. I just hate teams that are both unskilled and soft. That being said, some of these guys haven't been as bad as I expected. Tlusty, Hainsey, and Faulk have all been more physical than I expected.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:03 pm

Yeah...I let Martin go through in my game. THought about it, as my revolving door is huge. Dwyer, Sutter, Rask, Shugg, and Malone have all played games for me and for Charlotte...and I am 20 games in. Nemisz and in particular Nash are STRUGGLING with the big club, and they may get a dose as well. Waiting for the waiver claim of interest to come. Should have pulled someone during exhibition season. That being said have done well.

Staal, Skinner, Ward and Khudobin are carrying me. Any of those has a 6 rate night and I lose.

Started the season amazing...12 game win streak. Last 8 I have gone 3-5-0

I will not make a deal for a guy like Stamkos. I never go after the superstars...or at least very rarely. Not that there is anything wrong with it by the rules as they are, but I am looking at developing my own team. No quick fix

Tupe
Junior League

Post by Tupe » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:39 pm

I was all about the quick fix and adding someone like Stamkos. I usually play with the normal/previous challenge rules and use attribute editor to tune scoring down a bit so it was really fun to do this (meaning not really planning to play this challenge as a career game). Adding two players to trade really gets you a larger variety of deals to make.

I picked up Troy Bodie from waivers in season 1 and used him to fight and fourth line role. He did quite well and ended up being a plus player. My team also finished the season with 1100+ penalty minutes as as whole. Playing with realism patch turns penalty minutes down as known, so I really enjoyed it.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:48 pm

Yeah not saying it was a bad idea Tupe.. Just really not a "challenge" to those of us who have been doing the challenges for years. It is not all about winning. But it is interesting to note that guys like B72 and I have won alot of challenges without going after the quick fix players.

I tend to think about whether the real life GM would make a deal before I make a trade. Really think Yzerman would make that deal? Not after being stabbed two thousand times, being told the other GM had photos of him sleeping with a dog, and his wife making love to a cactus.....so well not my idea of fun in this game.

But it is not to say you are wrong to do so, it is in the rules...just do not see it as being fun. Been playing this game since the day it came on the market, and prefer to be challenged by it, and even the challenges do not make it hard enough...as you can see from my first 20 game report on this one.

Anyway best of luck to you.

Tupe
Junior League

Post by Tupe » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:27 pm

Sure, I didn't take it the way that you were saying it's wrong or a bad idea, or directing you're message at me. I was really tooling around with the idea of this new trading system. I really like the idea that you can do multiple trades and that you must keep you're home grown players in your roster.

I'm all in building up you're own team with drafted players and play my lonesome "career" games with the one for one and pick for veteran trading rules and such --> so the fun part for me was doing something I normally wouldn't or can't do, adding player like Stamkos. Not really looking a challenge as such while playing with the Hurricanes this time. Just for the sake of doing something different within the rules - no moral dilemma doing it the unreal way this time.

For me the best part of these challenges is playing with the same team as others and reading (and sharing, although I have participated rarely) the stories.

CJ
TBL Rosters Researcher
Custom Rank: Formerly jhcjobpb
Favourite Team: Florida Panthers

Post by CJ » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:50 pm

As I'm updating the newest NHL rosters. Those kinda trades will be a little bit harder to make. 8-)

Animal31
Fourth Line
Favourite Team: Abbotsford Heat

Post by Animal31 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:37 am

bruins72 wrote:
Animal31 wrote:

](*,)
Okay there Brian Burke
I didn't say I wanted to go in favor of toughness over skill! I'll take a fast, skilled team in EHM any day of the week. I just hate teams that are both unskilled and soft. That being said, some of these guys haven't been as bad as I expected. Tlusty, Hainsey, and Faulk have all been more physical than I expected.
If you cant beat em, beat their face

jesterx7769
Fourth Line

Post by jesterx7769 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:34 am

Well started off horribly with injuries and was sure everyone was cheating :rant:

Gleason, Lindholm, Sekera, McClement all started the season injured or shortly after. Once healthy was able to do well to end up in 10th for Q1.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:32 pm

Just be thankful it wasn't Staal, Ward, Skinner, or Semin! :nerd:

Return to “Challenge Forum”