Challenge #34 - Carolina Hurricanes Discussion Thread

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

batdad
The Great One
Custom Rank: Mr Technology
Favourite Team: Syracuse Bulldogs.

Re: Challenge #34 - Carolina Hurricanes Discussion Thread

Post by batdad » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:47 am

2017 NHL Entry Draft-Carolina Hurricanes.

Again this draft is rather...not exciting. At forward there might have been 6 guys who look decent, 2 on defense and 2 goalies. Light draft for sure. Hopefully one player develops. Warkentine came from a weak draft and he is looking good for me in Charlotte.

1st round-30th overall-Dusan Hudec-6'4 187 lb C -Red Deer Rebels WHL. Yes I kept to my WHL first round players. Dusan is a Slovakian import, who has decent size, and is extremely strong. My scout projections are all over the map for this guy, from David Backes to Brandon Dubinsky to Phillip McRae. So who knows what we have here other than a fairly big dude.

2nd round-60th overall-Sean Turunen-6'2 178lb C/LW-Karpat Jrs Finland. Could not help myself and considered this fellow in the first round. He is big and lanky and works his tail off. Not the greatest skater, but okay. He is much like Jordan Staal which is why I like this guy. He will stay one more year in Finland and then we will go from there.

3rd round-90th overall-Matt Brown 6'0 198lb LW/RW Charlottetown Islanders
. Good size and again strength. Kid has a good shot, and is a phenomenal skater for his size. He should eventually line up on the 2nd or 3rd line.

4th round-96 overall
(acquired from NJ for Jay Harrison) Jean-Sebastien Dewolf 6'1 189lb G. Some weak team in a French league. Dude is from France, and am going out on a real limb here with him. He projects to be a decent keeper, and my guys compare to Cory Schneider. May bring this guy over as soon as I can in order to get him some experience with real shooters.
4th round-101st overall-(acquired Pit 4th rounder from NYR in exchange for Jesper Fast) Alexander Zaitsev 6'0 171lb LD-CSKA Moscow KHL-Reaching here and a gamble. Kid is supposedly like Mark Stuart but he has a long way to go to even get there. We shall see. Staying in Russia for now

4th round-120th overall-my own pick-Ramil Namestnikov 5'10 196lb C-Progress Glazov Russia 3 league. Yeah...Russia 3 league and not even getting looked at by higher league teams, so well...Not sure he will ever be coming over, but my scouts ALL wanted him and liken him to Finnish superstars Mikko Koivu and Petri "the flash in the pan" Kontiola. So yeah.

5th round-150th overall-Dennis Sundstrom 6'1 200lb RW/C Blainsville Broisband-QMJHL-Swedish RW who is out for another 4 months after tearing his MCL in March. Yeah this draft is so deep have to take guys who are mortally wounded. He will sit and rot most likely but everyone of my scouts in love with him before his major injury. He was ranked 88th for the draft and the injury he has caused him to drop like a lead balloon. Scouts all say he is more talented than Mark Stone, who is on my roster and will play on the 2nd line some day. Lots of recovery to do from this injury though.

6th round-160th overall-Sharks pick I got as part of Hainsey trade for Doherty. Jonatan Sandell 6'0 167lb LD/RD Saskatoon Blades WHL-Yeah Jonatan...not Jon, not Jonathon, not Jonathan, not Johnny, not John...J O N A T A N. Heh. This kid is Swedish and is just okay. Scouts say Andrej Meszaros, I say a Carlo Coliaccovo type who cannot even skate. So...not physically strong, cannot skate and cannot handle the puck. Great.

6th round-180th-Thorban Geipl-6'1 218lb RD-Dresden Eislowen Deutsche 2 Bundisliga
. Yeah....Slovak, Russia,Finland, Sweden in this draft....now also French and GERMAN> I mean they won the World Championship right? Not that this kid played a second there or had a chance, but my scouts seem to think he is Brent Seabrook. So slow and a big hitter. Yep as big as a fly swatter. Played in the Bundisliga so should be really good at the kick ball warmup before the game. Maybe can pass the puck back to the goalie with his feet.

7th round-210th overall-again the last pick of the draft. Must have a good team. Zdislav Stastny 6'3 205 LD-Most-Czech 1 league. I think this guy is the long long lost 5th cousin four time removed, grandson of Paul Stastny. In other words he is no Marion or Anton. He is not even Paul or that other one that played for St Louis for a day. Kid is brutal. But was the best of a bad bunch left.My scouts like him so much they call him Rasmus Rissonen and Shaone Morrison like. Yeah he might make the ECHL affiliate and get loaned out to an Ontario Senior C team.

Now on a better note...when Adam Musil was done in REd Deer, we signed him and he came and played in the playoffs for Charlotte and well...lit it up. Five goals Four assists in 10 games on way to winning Calder Cup.

Asher413
Challenge Moderator
Favourite Team: Pittsburgh Penguins

Post by Asher413 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:21 pm

Getting ready to start season 2:

Post-draft moves:

Gerbe to Avs for Max Talbot. Let's be honest, Gerbe and his 14 points in a 5'6" body weren't going to work in this challenge.
Liles to Avs for 3rd rounder. A bit of humor in trading him back to the Avs.
Boychuk to Coyotes for Endgars Kulda. Kulda is younger, basically gaining 6 years in youth for a guy who averaged 5.77 a game.
Malone to Tampa for a 4th rounder. Another guy who just wasn't going to be more than another veteran in Charlotte.

Both Boychuk and Malone came up on the waiver wire as well later, both cleared.

Claimed BIssonnette off waivers- clogs up my team a bit, but allows me to hopefully finally have a decent 4th line and PK options. Dropped Dwyer (-31, 5.88 AvR) and Tlusty from my core- Tlusty hasn't been wanting to re-up, and he'll hopefully be borderline once I get some more forward talent of age. Signed Patrick Thoresen as my FA- scouts think he's 20/20 capable, but combined with him and Bissonnette, I wanted to make sure I had 3rd/4th line depth so guys like Dwyer and Chris Terry weren't being plugged into top 6 situations if we lost a couple of players.

This leads to an early season battle: The lines going in are:

Tablot-E. Staal- Semin
Skinner- McClement- Lindholm
Thorseon- J. Staal- Tlusty
Bissonnette- Nash- Dwyer

Tarnasky and Terry in the show to start, and after about 10 games, someone in the Tarnasky/Terry/Dwyer/Bissonnette show will likely get waived (or players going to IR could them) so that Rask can get in his 32 games.

Gleason-Sekera
Faulk- Hainesy
Harrison- Murphy
Bellemore

Ward
Khodobin

I didn't sign Fleury in time for him to be a homegrown, so he right now has the inside track on homegrown over Eichel for next season- injuries could force either of those guys up and make the other fill the homegrown role.

Hopefully I can compete better, been really reading through the tactics threads and hoping that the three balanced lines approach will allow me to do much better.

On a last random thought: There was a serious wave of staff retirements in July. I believe 4 or 5 NHL gm's, several lower level GMs, and 6 of my scouts all retired that month.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:35 am

Heading into season 4. Great camp battles we had for the homegrown. Three players pushed hard to get the job. They were:

1. Sergei Stentsenko-LD/RD My fourth round pick in the 2007 draft.
2. Sergei Tolchinsky-RW/LW--Small RW guy who has been lighting up the AHL, scoring 41 goals last season. He is tiny though. But did well in camp scoring 3-2-5 in 6 games.
3. Martin Smrek-RW/LW--6th round pick 2007 entry draft. He is a little bigger than Tolchinsky, but is 6 months younger, and not as sharp with the puck.

Anyway after a heated battle in which all three had 5 points in 6 games...COach Bill Peters (yes he finally did sign) decided to keep Smrek around and send the other two to Charlotte for 1 more season. Both those players are candidates to make the squad next year.

The roster for this season, is still similar to what it has been all the way through, wtih some subtle changes. Gone are Gleason, Osala and McClement. Injured and out for 5 months with a bad concussion in the last game of the exhibition season is star defenseman Ryan Murphy. Cam Ward broke his wrist and is out for three weeks to start the year.

Anyway here is the line up with Murphy and Ward on IR for the time being.

Skinner-E Staal-Semin
Tlusty-J Staal-Lindholm
Lee-Rask-Branden Trook (trade last year for Biega)
Smrek- Cal O'Reilly (FA signing on July 4)-Mark Stone
Jared Staal

So as you can see top two lines remain the same. Wanted someone who could partially replace McClement but was cheaper, so signed UFA Cal O'Reilly, as well as a scrub UFA centre to work with the young guys in Charlotte. That Center is 6'5 227 lb Jay Dickman.

D lineup

Faulk-Sekera
Fleury-Doherty (all sophomore pairing)
Rissinen-Carrick
Jordan

Neuvirth
Nedeljkovic

Will have a few $ to spend if a trade comes up, or a waiver claim is around the corner. Looking for a C or LW, and now with Murphy out could use a dman as well. But a steady one, not one taking up a ton of minutes as Fleury is ready and hoping Doherty is as well.

Going to be an interesting season for us CAnes. BTW--Gleason signed in Winnipeg. They paid him too much,waived him and he is now in St John's.

Oscar Osala is still looking for a home.
Ben Holmstrom signed an AHL deal with Worcester.
Brody Sutter is still looking as is Jay McClement.
Bellmore signed in Toronto with the Leafs, Shugg signed with the Blue Jackets and Nemisz signed an AHL deal in Springfield.

thunderbug
Checking Line
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Jets

Post by thunderbug » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:55 am

Batdad, I'm not sure, but I think you traded for you have too many picks in the 4th round of that draft. We aren't allowed to have any more than 2 picks in a round of any draft unless we started the game with more than 2 picks in that particular round.

5.5.5 You may not acquire or use more than two draft picks per round of the draft. This includes your own pick. Therefore, you shouldn't have any more than two first round picks, two second round picks, etc. (Unless in the beginning of the game the team already has three picks for a round - this is allowed. It will become clear if this is the case when we play each team).

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Post by bruins72 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:02 pm

Yup. It does look like he acquired 1 too many 4th round picks. Batdad, you can take a points penalty or you can release either DeWolf or Zaitsev (the two players drafted with acquired 4th round picks).

So I'm still chugging away at my 1st season. I'm in early March and I got a new item saying that Connor McDavid tore his ACL and would be out for 7 months. I wonder what this does to him at draft time? Will he maintain his 1st overall ranking? How far will he drop? Maybe I can steal him? I don't know if I would consider this a "cheap" or "dirty" play on my behalf (drafting him because he's been passed over due to injury). With a serious injury like that so close to draft time and with teams not able to see how he recovers... wouldn't that make a lot of teams pass on him?

kuulapaa
Commish Team
Custom Rank: General Roster Soreness
Favourite Team: Tampereen Ilves
SBHL Team: Los Angeles Kings

Post by kuulapaa » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:51 pm

I noticed I made a trade on a no-trade period in the offseason before my season #2 started. I managed to claim a more suitable player from waivers and I then traded Gerbe for a pick when I should have waived him. I had no saves from the offseason only so I should have gone back from November to the end of season #1. I think I'm not going to do it, can't retake all that offseason simming... ](*,)

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:16 pm

How far outside the no-trade period? We can just tack on a points penalty and let you continue on. It doesn't seem like a major offense. :dunno:

Oh and did you catch the post in the Core Reporting thread about your homegrown? Michal Jordan is too old to be your homegrown.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:44 pm

Oh rubbish. SOrry guys I missed that one. Oops. I have released Zaitsev, and here is the screenshot. Released and no rights for Zaitsev

Not only did Buffalo let McDavid rights expire, and Detroit signed him, but they let Sam Reinhart go to UFA and did not qualify him. He is 22 and an unsigned player right now without any offers although Montreal is interested.

kuulapaa
Commish Team

Post by kuulapaa » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:59 pm

The trade of Gerbe took place on Sep 27th so it was near the end of the period rather than in the beginning.

But about Jordan I don't get it. I specifically checked that he was 24 when the season #2 began. I think his birthday was in mid July or something :doh:

EDIT/ADD: As it is in the rules that he must "be 24 years old or younger when at the beginning of his Homegrown season" I thought that was counted from the beginning of the season which is July 1st by the rules :dunno:

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:55 am

Okay, Kaalapaa. I'll let Jordan slide. The intention of the rule was for the player to be 24 or younger when you declare your core and HG before the first regular season game. It wasn't too clear the way I wrote it. I'll re-word it before the next challenge.

As for the trade, it was an honest mistake and very close to the end of the no trade period. Just go along with your game and be careful in the future. :thup:

cecede123
TBL Rosters Researcher
Favourite Team: Montreal Canadiens

Post by cecede123 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:34 am

I'm not in the challenge, but I were reading your comments and I drafted that Stetsenko guy ! Dunno for you, but he's looking great at 21 ! Image

I mean for a 7th round pick, I'm pretty happy

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:59 am

Yep, he is fairly similar to my version. Year 4 I am in now and called him up to play a few while I had injuries to:

1. Murphy
2. Carrick
3. Sekera
4. Doherty

He is almost ready to go back down as Sekera is only a few days from coming back. Stestenko statline in NHL this season: 5 games 1-1-2 7.4 rating. HEading back to farm as am playing challenge and he is likely my homegrown. I took him in the 4th round though.

Now about the challenge...

I just had the BEST 20 game segment I have ever had. I did not even realize how good it was until I got a notification saying I had set a new team record winning 15 games in a row.

Then...I lost in a shootout to Buffalo, then I won the next 4 games heading into the 40 mark. The last game I had lost was on Nov 9 ...game #18 to Los Angeles in OT.

And the only regulation losses?

Game 16 vs Buffalo 4-2
GAme 2 vs Anaheim 4-0

In the 20 games Skinner scored 13 goals and had 18 assists.
Lindholm was 10-17-27
Eric Staal was 18-19-27

The team was firing on all cylanders and this is the first 20 game stretch in forever I can recall where I Had a power play that was better than 13%....I was over 16 percent.

And my defense....was still just as darn good.

I scored a ridiculous 84 goals and allowed an even more insane 27.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:38 am

Season 4 after 60 games.

Tougher set for me to score anyway. All else was the same, but the guys just did not score as much. Decided I needed to make up my mind on path of the team for the future as well.

I resigned Alex Semin, but will not be re-signing Jiri Tlusty (whoever signed first on an offer I gave was going to stay other gone)...so this led me to need a LW that is NHL worthy as when Tlusty is gone next year I will only have Skinner and Lee who are NHL capable natural LWers.

So....I looked and looked and looked. Hunted forever for a match. In early January I moved Mark Stone (C player) and Sergei Tolchinsky (C player) and both RW. Tolchinsky is too small to ever play regularly for me. He is good in so many things and is a tiny tiny Alex Semin. But not for me. He played a bit this year, and scored a few goals, but was really just a dominant AHLer. Stone was too inconsistent. Would score a point for 3 games straight, then do nothing for 10.

Finally found a match and moved those two to Columbus in exchange for Boone Jenner. Jenner came in and set up two beauties for me in his first game. THen...he did....ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for the next 10 games, and even had a 5 rating for which he got warned (Game 9). He did not like that warning. Then he decided to go and get injured for 2 weeks in game #11. Oh well...still have Tlusty for now, and Jenner can settle in and hopefully be ready for next year as my #2 LW.

After making this trade I realized I only had 12 forwards who were really ready for the NHL in any sense of the word. I have 3-4 young guys in Charlotte who are all ready, but C is a weak spot for me, as Rask is just not developing and my UFA signing O'Reilly is inconsistent at best.

So I Started looking for a centre who could come in and provide more stability. Could not find one.....

Ended up making a depth deal for a RW who will stay in the minors for now. Sent Tyler Ganley who is playing all right in Charlotte to the Leafs for Tyler Biggs. Biggs is a big strong RW who is buried in the Leaf system for no reason. But...he is recall waiver eligible so will stay in the minors for the season.

And last but not least, Dallas put Jesse Winchester on the market. Winchester is a decent 4th line guy with ok size and can kill penalties. Naturally a RW< but does well at Centre as well. Sent my 7th round pick to Dallas for him.

Roster is set for this season.

Skinner-E Staal-Semin
Tlusty-J Staal-Linholm
Lee-Rask-Troock
Smrek-O'Reilly-Winchester
Dickman

IR-Good old BOONE

Faulk-Sekera
Fleury-Doherty
Carrick-Petrovic
Rissonen

IR-RYAN MURPHY, but he is due back in a week or so. When he comes back will send the big man Jay Dickman back to Charlotte.

I have had a revolving door of young guys getting tastes of the show

Dickman, Warkentine, Olsson (7th round year 1 who is turning out to look really good), Stetstenko as well as Ganley and Tolchinskybefore dealt all had games with the big club.

Jared Staal has also been back and forth, but could not keep his morale up high enough and he is staying in Charlotte now ,and will not be re-signed for next year.

In goal Ward and Neuvirth have handled all but 2 games when either was out with an injury. Filling in for those was Alex Nedjelkovic and he was good. This means I will not be re-signing Neuvirth either. I have the young French kid set to come over from Europe and still have Altshuller under wraps for one more season.

It has been a decent season and a good challenge...

however...I have not fallen in love with any of my players like i normally do in the challenges. Someone invariably becomes a favorite and really never has a chance of leaving the team.

I think the closest to that is Taylor Doherty. Was really hoping Smrek and Fleury would be the guys, but so far just okay....Petrovic not bad either, but he has too many off days

kuulapaa
Commish Team

Post by kuulapaa » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:26 pm

Some remarks from the offseason (after the season #1) and season #2:

- - - - - -

”Islanders' John Tavares will be out for about 6 months because of surgery to cure a damaged achilles tendon.”

- - - - - -

Ten Hurricanes' players got selected to represent their national teams in World Championships. Justin Faulk, Nathan Gerbe, Tim Gleason and Ron Hainsey are playing for the Team USA, Elias Lindholm is in the Team Sweden, Andrej Sekera got selected in the Team Slovakia, Alexander Semin is playing very well for the Team Russia, Jeff Skinner and Jordan Staal are wearing the Team Canada jerseys and Jiri Tlusty is in the Team Czech Republic.

- - - - - -

We won the lottery!

Canes are heading to the Entry Draft with the 1st overall pick. This has to be a turnaround for the organization!

- - - - - -

Canes Draft Picks:

#1 C Connor McDavid

#34 G Maxim Tretyak

#64 RD/LD Andrei Mironov

#94 RD Will Petschenig

#124 RW Hayden Hodgson

#154 C Vladislav Boyko

#184 RW Brett Hargrave

- - - - - -

Offseason moves in Canes:

7.5.07 - Signed our prospect defenseman Haydn Fleury to an entry level contract of three years and $715,000 p/y.
7.5.07 - Traded John-Michael Liles to Jets for Carl Klingberg and the rights to Arturs Kulda.
7.6.07 - Signed recently drafted prospects Connor McDavid and Andrei Mironov to entry level contracts. Both contracts are for three years, McDavid's salary will be $875,000 p/y and Mironovs $475,000 p/y.
7.10.07 - Signed Arturs Kulda for two years. His salary will be $535,000 p/y.
7.21.07 - Signed UFA Johnny Oduya to a 3-year contract. His salary against the cap will be $1,404,000 p/y.
7.29.07 - Brett Bellemore joined the team after the arbitrary hearing.
7.29.07 - Brett Bellemore was released.
9.26.07 - Claimed Andrew Shaw from the waivers.
9.27.07 - Traded Nathan Gerbe to Jets for their 2nd in 2008 draft.

- - - - - -
Hurricanes 2nd round pick G Maxim Tretyak had three consecutive shutout games when Russia won the Finnish Four Nations U-20 Tournament in November. He faced 88 shots in games against Czech Republic, Sweden and Finland U-20 teams.

- - - - - -

Nov 24th – Rangers placed Ed Jovanovski on waivers. The 39-year old defenseman's speed has faded near to zero (4), I think we may have seen his last NHL games here.

- - - - - -

Dec 3rd – Hurricanes is 8-1-1 in last ten games. We are the hottest team in the league at the moment!

- - - - - -

Dec 21st – We gave an all time beating to Pengs winning them 11-3! MAF allowed 5 goals on 11 shots before he was pulled on the bench. All but four of our players scored points, leading scorers were Semin (3+2), E. Staal (1+4), Skinner (2+2) and Lindholm (0+4).

- - - - - -

In the game against Pengs Andrew Shaw got an injury. He was hit by Robert Bortuzzo and he was diagnosed a partially torn MCL. He's expected to miss at least 3 months.

- - - - - -

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:21 pm

Awesome Kuulapaa! Tavares had the same injury with me, but in season 4. Hurt himself in game against up. Guess I should not have had him matched up with Jordan Staal. Ouch.

thunderbug
Checking Line

Post by thunderbug » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:46 pm

So, I just finished season 1. We finished the year on a strong note in the season and Cam Ward played like a man possessed in the playoffs. We ended up bringing home the Stanley Cup in short order. When I saw the lottery for the entry draft, I had to chuckle and of course thought to myself it's gotta be rigged this year. The Pittsburgh Penguins have the number 1 selection. So in addition to Sid, and Evgeni, it looks like they will soon have Connor as well.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:26 am

Boo Pittsburgh! :rant:

I finished my first season playoffs but haven't gotten to the awards or draft. I made it all the way to the Stanley Cup Final but got swept by the the Blues. So close yet so far away.

thunderbug
Checking Line

Post by thunderbug » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:31 am

I got lucky. I ran into LA, and Quick got injured in game 1 or 2. After that Martin Jones got lit up like you can't believe.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:36 am

Good job Tbug. Beat my reg season record by 1 OT loss instead of regular loss.

Season 4 summary
Won Stanley Cup
Conn Smythe-Eric Staal
Vezina, Jennings.1st all star-Cam Ward.

AHL-CHarlotte won Calder Cup over Manchester.

Players-Team was led by AHL Rookie of Year, 2007 1st round pick Adam Musil, 2007 2nd rounder Miles Warkentine, 2007 7th Rounder Hampus Olsson, 2007 4th rounder Stetstenko (see something about that draft...appears to have been a good one will recap the guys in a minute) Pesce 2005 5th rounder and goalie Nedelkjovic a 2006 2nd round pick.

My 2007 draft in case you do not recall

1st-30th Musil---Average rating 8.7 as a rookie in AHL this year.
2nd-60th-Warkentine--2nd season in AHL scored 40, and average rating 8.16. Also played 13 games with big club 1-1-2.
3rd-90th-Tyler MaCarthur-Rookie Dman in AHL avg rating 7.24 is some hope as attributes improving.
4th -120th-Sergei Stetstenko-reg season 7.97 rating, scored 19-40-59 and played 8 games for big club going 1-2-3 with 7.4 rating.
5th-150th-Spencer Jensen...Dman a bit behind the others, and playing behind them as well... 6.98 rating in 2nd season in CHarlotte
6th-180th-Martin Smrek--RW after scoring 35 in rookie season in AHL last year (Season 3) became my homegrown in season 4 and did okay with mostly 4th line ice time and some PP time when was going well in the game. 6-7-13 as a rookie. Not great but again only 9 min per game.
7th round-Hampus Olsson. Was hoping this kid would be a steal. Big dude, and he is turning out to be a steal. He scored 24 as a rookie in CHarlotte and in his second year up to 32. He looks like he may be as ready to play for me as Musil and Warkentine.

So 7 picks and it looks like 5 of them will play for sure, only leaving the two WHL dmen Macarthur and Jensen as iffy. Great draft as I look back. Problem for me is Warkentine, Olsson and Smrek are all natural RW....so one may end up having to be moved as not much room on that side with Lindholm still being so young, as well as Troock and Tyler Biggs.

Olympic hockey-Canada gold, Sweden silver, USA Bronze
World Championships-Canada gold, Germany Silver,a 2nd shocker in a row after Gold in season 3, Sweden Bronze
Relegated-Belarus, Lithuania
Promoted to Big man group-Latvia and What the Dickens??? CROATIA. (That leaves the top group with teams from
Canada, Sweden, Germany, Kazahkstan, Russia, Czech, Slovenia, USA, Switzerland, ITALY, Finland SLovakia Norway.
Russia 4th in both Olympics and World Champ.

World JR-Gold Canada, Silver Czech, BRonze Finland....4th BELARUS
Relegated-LATVIA AND USA...LOL USA
Promoted-Switzerland, Germany.

KHL-Slovan defeat SKA St Petersburg
SEL-HC Vita Hasten defeat Djurgarden
SM League-K Vanta defeat Passat
DEL-Berlin defeat Kolner Hale

On to 2010 Season 4 draft.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:20 pm

Year4 Entry Draft. Picked up a 4th and a 5th in deals earlier in the year. Sent Rissanen to Florida for Panthers 5th. Jordan to Isles for Isles 4th. And sent my 7th to Dallas for Jesse Winchester. So I have 8 picks. The draft this time does not have much on the super high end of talent, but there is more talent out there witnessed by the 200 page reports I was getting from my scouts. Quite a few decent prospects will be left for a second go at the draft next year.

1st round-30th overall-Neil MacNevin-6'4 180lb LW/RW-Blainsville-Broisband QMJHL-Team mate of my 2009 5th rounder Dennis Sundstrom. In fact linemate for much of the season. Dennis calls him the next Scott Hartnell. In other words I can hear alot of McNevin down jokes coming, along with those about McLovin. Kid has speed to burn and a great shot. Really just needs to grow into his big frame and he will be playing on my 2nd line in no time.

2nd round-60th overall-Nikita Ozolins-5'8 154lb G-Dinamo Riga Russia 2-Latvian small goalie....Quick and reflexes are ridiculous. His goalie coach in his personal time is none other than Arturs Irbe. This young man plays exactly like Archi. NOt a ton of stamina, but he will be good as a 45-50 game goalie for me in the future.

3rd round-90th overall-Gerrad Paziuk-6'1 194 lb LW/RW Ottawa 67s-OHL-31 goals in his rookie OHL Season, kid hits like a freightrain. He was ranked 66 by NHL Central so to get him here at 90th is a huge bonus. He is Andrew Ladd like in the way he plays the game, and will be a good leader as he matures.

4th round-99th (From ISlanders)-Richard Dow 6'0 171lb LD-Kitchener Rangers OHL-19 goals for the Rangers last year, and he is so smart on the ice. Has a real knack of understanding the game and where to be. One of the fastest skaters eligible for the draft. Needs to get stronger. Scouts see him turning into a player like perennial Team CAnada Dman ME Vlasic. I see him in the Justin Faulk vein. More speed though.

4th round-120th -RIchard Kolba 6'3 209lb C/RW-Topolcany Jr-Slovak Jr League- Totally off the board with this guy. AGM Lorne Frey and all my scouts love this guy. See him as the next coming of Michal Handzus with more scoring ability. Sees the ice well, and reminds some of the scouts of Ryan Johanson except stronger. Going to be a great addition to the team. Bringing him over from Europe along with Ozolins. SOmething I rarely do, but these two have some skill and need to adjust to North America now.

5th round-122nd (Panthers)-Djamel Perillat-6'6 211lb LD-Blainsville Broisband QMJHL-Armada coach Wes Walz says this young man is the heartbeat of his team. I now have three BBA players with my young group, and all three look to be something special. Djamel is a more skilled and better skating version of Ladislav Smid. Should be a great PK guy if it his not him in the box for one of his trademark nasty hits.

5th round 150th-Johnson Fafard-6'4 202 RW-London Knights OHL-Knights coach Dale Hunter and his brother Mark say that Johnson is going to be a big strong 2nd line Power forward in the vein of Jakob Silfverberg. Kid hits, kid skates, and in his rookie season with the Knights developed his shot. He is going to be interesting to watch this year as he starts to become more of a key player for London. Long way to go but see him on my 2nd line in the future.

6th round-180th-Wes Vaughn-6'2 209lb LW/RW Sudbury Wolves OHL
-Physically mature strong winger who hits hard. He is a long shot to get to the team but man does he skate well for his size. So...this kid could get there. Wolves love him and in his rookie year scored 22-35-57 playing on their 3rd line nad 2nd unit PP. THere is definitely something there.

First season with no picks from the WHL--All the guys I targeted for each round went 1-2 picks ahead of me each and every round.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:43 pm

Season 5 lineup to start the year

Skinner-E Staal-Semin
Jenner-J Staal-Lindholm
Smrek-Lee-Tyler Biggs
Hampus Olsson-Rask-Trouck
O;Reilly

Faulk-Murphy
Fleury-Sekera
Stetsenko-Doherty
Carrick

Ward
Nedeljkovic

Musil and Warkentine are going to be up with the team, just need to wait a bit before can be here re cap reasons.

Waived Petrovic to get under the cap, and he was not claimed and is now in Charlotte.

Stetsenko is going to be an interesting home grown. He was injured during pre season, but is back for game one.

Had Smrek not been my homegrown last season he would have lost his spot on the roster to Warkentine or Musil.

thunderbug
Checking Line

Post by thunderbug » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:46 am

Year 1 Entry Draft
Rd 1 Pick 30: Maxim Tretyak The scouts compared him to Varlamov, and Price. At that spot, seemed like he was a steal.

Rd 2 Pick 60: Brandon Prophet Good size, decent attributes projects to be like Hamhuis. If so its a good pickup. Even if he doesn't quite make it should end up somewhat decent.

Rd 3 Pick 90: Kyle Connor Projects to be a better Drew Stafford. He has good attributes, really impressed with work rate.

Rd 4 Pick 120: Michael Joly. Kinda small, attributes looked decent, but may not improve much. Honestly didn't like a lot of what was available.

Rd 5 Pick 150: Tommy Lapierre Small attributes kinda meh. Will be surprised if he makes it out of AHL.

Rd 6 Pick 180: Brian Williams Small, fast and works hard. Size may keep him in AHL. Doesn't project past 4th line.

Rd 7 Pick 210: Dawson Leedawl Good size, quick, work hards. Projects to 4th line.

No Free Agent signings. I did sign Tretyak to bring him over, and a couple of kids who I would lose their rights. Otherwise, I wanted to see what I could do with the team as is.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:18 pm

I've been slowed in my challenge once again. Last week my work computer died on me. It took until Monday to get one with a Pro version of Windows so I could join the domain on our network. So now I've got the new one, which is much faster than the ancient one that died, and I've got work stuff set back up on it. I just have to try to plug my old hard drive into another computer to salvage some files off of it and hopefully de-activate the EHM license on it. Otherwise, I'll have to get in touch with eLicense.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:45 pm

That sucks B72. I got lucky for once when my computer packed it in...it was the monitor that died out, and I hooked up to my TV to get the license back from the old game. Also lucky that I could find my email from elicense...original order...it shocked me...so I would know what the code was.

In the last year I have had 3 million emails. Not kidding...I could get you the exact #. Almost all baseball and hockey related. :-D

kuulapaa
Commish Team

Post by kuulapaa » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:38 pm

Season #2 continues:

- - - - - -

Jan 1st - ”Hurricanes Carl Klingberg has won the NHL Rookie of the Month award for December.

Klingberg played 13 games during this time, scoring 5 goals and assisting on 7 others.”

- - - - - -

Jan 2nd - ”Jay McClement will be out of action for about a month after he suffered a fractured arm in Hurricanes 4-3 National Hockey League defeat against Flames on Wednesday.”

Another center down. We must probably bring Nash back in from Charlotte and hope he can fill in the injuries. McDavid would be nice... but he's in juniors, dominating OHL (he has 50 points in 28 games now...).

- - - - - -

Jan 3rd – Tampa waived young winger Philippe Paradis. Oh man I would have wanted to claim him! A big, strong and speedy forward with some hands too... but I claimed Andy Shaw who now may or may not recover from his injury before the playoffs...

- - - - - -

Jan 5th – Hurricanes sent Andrej Sekera to Colorado Avalanche for Calvin De Haan and James Wright. We needed to bring in a center to fill the void of two long term injuries, Wright seemed as a decent player to step right in. De Haan's speed is fascinating asset and he is in starting lineup too. In another very tempting offer there was an enormous young dman Sustr from Czech Republic who was very difficult to pass (6'8”, 224 lb – strength 20, hitting 15, pokecheck 18) but the center in that deal wouldn't have been anywhere near Wright so we had to pass it.

- - - - - -

Jan 6th – In the game against Caps where both De Haan and Wright got their debuts as Hurricanes Eric Staal picked an injury – luckily only a short term one though. Bäckström crosschecked him in the chest and got a minor penalty for it. I hate the refs! I hate Bäckström! I hate Caps!!!

- - - - - -

Jan 9th – Two more in-game injuries: In our game against Habs Patrick Thoresen went down in his first shift after only 41 seconds on ice. He'll be out for some ten days with a thigh strain. And after allowing three goals in 1st period I pulled Ward away from the net. Khudobin's ice time before his injury was 2:25. He is day-to-day with a sprained wrist now. We lost the game 4-1 and we are running out of forwards if this trend continues. Who should I blame now? I hate Caps!!!

Connor McDavid who was Canada's captain through U20 WJC tournament lead his team to the championship. McDavid scored 1+3 in the final against USA and his total points in the tournament were 2+11.

- - - - - -

Jan 10th – Victor Rask whom I brought up instead of Riley Nash will be out of action for about 2 weeks after he suffered an abdomen injury in practice. What the h***!!!

- - - - - -

Jan 19th – Thoresen got back after injury. Murphy injured himself in the same day in practice. Khudobin has already returned. Our play suffers from the constantly changing lines.

- - - - - -

Return to “Challenge Forum”