Challenge #34 - Carolina Hurricanes Discussion Thread

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Re: Challenge #34 - Carolina Hurricanes Discussion Thread

Post by bruins72 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:27 pm

batdad wrote:That sucks B72. I got lucky for once when my computer packed it in...it was the monitor that died out, and I hooked up to my TV to get the license back from the old game. Also lucky that I could find my email from elicense...original order...it shocked me...so I would know what the code was.

In the last year I have had 3 million emails. Not kidding...I could get you the exact #. Almost all baseball and hockey related. :-D
I'm positive that I still have my email from eLicense. It would just be easier to unlicense that copy of the game if I'm going to hook it up to get some files anyway.

batdad
The Great One
Custom Rank: Mr Technology
Favourite Team: Syracuse Bulldogs.

Post by batdad » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:11 pm

Season 5, 20 games in the book. Team started off absolutely on fire. At the 10 game mark were 10-0-0. Jenner had 10 goals, Jordan Staal and Skinner had 9, Eric Staal had 12 assists.

Then mediocrity set in. Last 10 we went 7-1-2. Heh. Jenner only scored 3 times, Skinner only 3 and Jordan only 4. Eric only managed 8 assists (5 goals). Team was just going along at a mediocre pace as far as I was concerned. Team Defense has not been as good either, although the PK has kept up pace.
Have won a couple of large score games this season.

Carolina 10 NY Islanders 4 (it was 10-1 at one point before I put my 3rd and 4th lines at the top in the third period) Jordan Staal had a 6 point night. Jenner had 4 goals.
Carolina 7 Buffalo 2 (Jenner was 1-3-4 and Jordan 2-2-4)

Guys are actually playing ridiculous hockey. Game speed is on fast, but when I watch them moving the movement is so fast it looks as though on very fast.

Losses:

Lost in regulation to Tampa Bay as they scored twice in the last two minutes to beat me 3-2.

Lost in a shootout to Rangers (Lundquist was awesome stopping 48 of 49 shots in the game)
Lost in a shootout to Flyers(Mason made 30-31 saves)

Both games were 2-1 losses in the books.

Made one move in the 20 games. Branden Troock who had been with me for a year and a half, just was not getting the job done. Tyler Biggs has taken his slot and done quite well...rookie of the month for October.

So moved Troock to the Canucks for their 4th round pick in the upcoming draft. This has opened up a spot on the roster for 2007 4th rounder Miles Warekentine.

So in my lineup now of the 7 picks in the first draft.

Smrek-6th round
Warkentine-2nd round
Olsson-7th round
Stetsenko-4th round.

Adam Musil my first round pick from that year, was a CHL player, Warkentine was a 2nd time around in draft guy and of course Olsson, Smrek and Stetsenko are all Euros. So those four had an extra year in the AHL with Charlotte to develop. Musil will be my first call up for a big forward injury.

With my cap being so tight at this point....I have 22 players (1 extra forward 1 extra D man) that I am not making any moves to bring someone up and give them a shot. Warkentine may go back down for a bit if his morale is suffering, but it is not. Playing well with 6.7 avg rating. Olsson is awesome! Barely getting 7 minutes per game and he is 7.27 avg rating in rookie year.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:11 am

So I ended up picking 20th in my season 1 draft. McDavid didn't fall as I had hope, despite his major injury. He didn't fall at all. He was drafted 1st overall. I ended up picking Dylan Strome at #20 (ranked 9th). I'm obviously pretty well stocked at center but he can play the LW. I got Baltisberger in the second round. He looks like a pretty talented defenseman. The rest of my picks were okay but nothing to speak of.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:54 pm

Strome has turned out pretty good in my game at least in attributes from what I saw. I will look again. Baltisberger on the other hand will never see the light of day in the NHL. He is not very good.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:28 pm

Really? My scouts really liked Baltisberger. It could be a random PA thing (good in my game, bad in your game).
:dunno:

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:45 pm

YEah that is possible.

So I got tired of all the old farts that I do not like on the team. Well not old farts...just farts.

At game 24 season 5, it was time for a major shakeup of the Carolina Hurricanes and give the youngsters a chance to play. In Charlotte I have 12 guys playing with over 8 ratings after 15 games for them. Scoring at will basically, including a 10-1 win, a 13-3 win, a 9-0 win. So had to get some of these kids a chance.

I have sent Alex Semin and his ridiculous 4.9 mill to the Florida Panthers for their 2nd round pick. This has allowed me to have some cap flexibility should something come along. Semin is doing fine for me, but I hate him...well actually he bores me.

I then turned and sent Viktor Rask, who is no longer in my core to the New Jersey Devils for their 3rd round pick.

This gives me an extra 2 round, 3 round and 4 round in next year's draft. But I am betting I do not have all of those.

I have called up 2007 1st rounder Adam Musil, 2008 4th rounder Blake Clarke, and 2005 3rd rounder Brett Pesce. THese guys will all get into the lineup somehwere and I still have over 3 million to play with. I am looking to make a deal for a decent LW or RW as not sure my young RW will be able to handle the pressure. The oldest one i now have is Biggs at age
25. Lindholm is 23, Olsson is 23 and Smrek and Warkentine are still 22.

Lineup as of now

Jenner- E Staal-Lindholm
Skinner-J Staal-Biggs
Lee-O'Reilly-Smrek
Olson-Musil-Warkentine
Clarke

Faulk-Sekera
Fleury-Murphy
Stetsenko-Doherty
Pesce.

I want to call up Winchester and Petrovic not Pesce....but both those two have to go through recall and both have 15 teams who would like them in a trade if I offer to all, so likelihood is both would get claimed. Already short enough guys as only have 39 players under contract and one is in juniors.

I did not sign anyone in the offseason, and now that i decided to make a couple major moves...well I wish I had signed some depth.

Anyway...now some guys to have some fun.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:02 pm

YEar 5 40 game mark. Lost a few this time around, and that can totally be attributed to giving up Semin for a draft pick. Not scoring as much as much younger and just glad to be rid of his big $ finally.

Had to make a couple moves. Pesce was to go back to minors when my good friend Carrick came off IR. He did, but then immediately demanded out. Pesce is a darn good dman, but not that good. So off he went to LA for Tomas Kubalik a 23 year old LW who lit up the AHL the last few years, but was not getting a chance with the Kings. HE and a scrub dman came over for Pesce (Pesce is a b rated player)

Then I picked up Jerome Verrier a RW on waivers from the Ducks. Verrier is a decent skater with a good shot who again, like Kubailik was lighting up AHL but not getting a shot with the Ducks...they just left him to rot in Norfolk. I had considered trading for him when got Kubalik, so ....why not.

Called WInchester up from the farm, and sent Warkentine down as he was struggling. Musil is up and down and in and out of the lineup and down to CHarlotte. Just doing okay.

Here is my lineup as of 40 games

Skinner-E Staal-Lindholm
Jenner-J Staal-Biggs,
Kubalik-Winchester-Smrek
Olsson-Musil-Verrier
O'Reilly

IR-Lee for another couple days,

Faulk-Murphy
Fleury-Sekera
Stetsenko-Carrick
Doherty

Ward
Nedelkjovic

Asher413
Challenge Moderator
Favourite Team: Pittsburgh Penguins

Post by Asher413 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:24 pm

Halfway through season 2- it's been an interesting ride. We came out on fire at the start, then Skinner went down for 11 games. Early minor injuries caused me to call up Eichel (that and he has 2 goals in 2 games in Charlotte), and he's been lighting it up (leads my team in goals... and he's on the 4th line when all are healthy) I'm trying to bring Eichel along slowly as my coaches and scouts all say he needs more time at a lower level, but a 7.81 AvR and on pace to 54 points is hard to send back down. At one point, Skinner, Lindholm and Tlusty were all down, and the lack of depth became a problem again, ended up using Hainsey on the wings on the 4th line since there was no one ready in the minors.

Made two 'major' deals that I viewed as a set- Sent Khodobin to Vancouver for Alexandre Mallet and Connor Carrick (Dustin Jeffrey and Paul Martin are the scouts comparasions) and then sent 2/3rds of my 4th line to St. Louis in Dwyer and Nash for Jake Allen. I figured the downgrade in ceiling in my backup goalie was worth the price, and Dwyer and Nash weren't appearing to want to put up a 6+ AvR again. I also got tired of Chris Terry's lack of ability and traded him for Brett Bulmer (who appears to have been another guy who's ceiling is Charlotte).

Rask is up just to get in the HG requirements, then he's going down as fast as I can (he'll be a nice 4th liner for 2 more years, then done.) Power play is terrible... will try my third shakeup with it to see if something will shake loose. Eichel may be getting more minutes there, at the risk of rushing him into it.

Here's my lines:

Talbot-Eric-Semin
Skiner-McClement-Lindholm
Thorensen-Jordan-Tlusty
Rask=Eichel-Bissonette
Tarnasky

Gleason-Sekera
Faulk-Hainesy (who's close to losing any time to Bellemore)
Harrison-Murphy
Bellemore

Ward
Allen

Of Course starting to look at the calendar hoping I can get through at least the end of season 3 in time.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:01 pm

Max Talbot? ON the first line? Really? And Jordan Staal playing behind McClement? Hmmm, not something I would do like...ever. Good on you if it works.

To me that lineup reads

Skinner-Eric-Semin
Tlusty-Jordan-Lindholm
Thoreson-McClement-Talbot
Rask-Eichel- Bissonnette

Always interesting though to see others do something different. How is Talbot doing up there? I have only been ever able to get 6.0 ratings out of him no matter who I had him with on any team...because of his size.

Asher413
Challenge Moderator

Post by Asher413 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:43 am

I wanted to try something different and balance the top 3 lines, then load them up in the 3rd if I'm down. Tablot in the first 25: 7 or so AvR, 4-10-14. Last 15, 6 AvR, 1-2-3. Jordan on the 3rd has let me play him on PK and PP, and still keep to 19 mins a night or so. I'm going to give it about 5-8 games of all healthy again to see if our first 20 games form returns with this lines, or go more traditional.

I've also been battling keeping the minutes down on the big guys, they're getting tired (we don't take penalties much, and draw a lot, about 10 mins per game on the PP, only about 4 on the PK). In that sort of situation, would you guys even consider sliding down Semin/Eric Staal to keep them fresh for 5 on 4, or consider moving them to the second PP (changed it to even PP time to keep Eric under the minutes cap!- he doens't PK either). :dunno:

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:36 pm

If you keep getting more PP than PK ice time will always be high if you have on PP1 and Line 1, or even PP2 and line 1. I would not worry about the PP so much and would make sure you have him rested enough to play his ES minutes. Then again my PP always sucks, but I score enough with balanced scoring. I try not to use my top two centres on the PK at all, and usually rely on #3 and #4...or even play a 3 or 4 line winger with C as a secondary position on my 2nd PK unit.

Typically with the first couple years rosters I had McClement-Jared Staal, and even had Riley Nash do it with say Jay Harrison (I know a Dman up front but it made sense to me at the time and worked well--I actually do that quite often.) ALso used guys like Ben Holmstrom and Bellemore....then when traded for Anders Lee (or waivers cannot recall off top of my head) he played alot of 2nd PK Center.

Typically every few games or so I switch my Top 2 centres on both the PP and ES. For example Eric starts as #1 C...then after a few games goes to 2 spot and Jordan takes over top spot. Eric will often be 1st line PP and 1st line ES, and occasionally he is 2nd line ES and 2nd line PP.

Asher413
Challenge Moderator

Post by Asher413 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:52 pm

Finished season 2, and quite a roller coaster.

Picked up Darren Helm and Simon Hjalmarsson in trades, but could not work out the right deal to get a stronger blueline, no matter what I tried (my scouts are saying I'll have the market cornered on 3rd pairing guys, with two top flight guys.) Around when I posted last we were in a bad slump, things started to turn around again, then I made the mistake of not "building up praise" for Eric Staal (just ignored it)... and revolt broke out. 7 players were unhappy, 3 demanded trades. Murphy and Lindholm still want out after the season (4 months later)- they haven't gone AWOL or taken it to another level, and hope it it stays there! Once things calmed down a bit form that, we started to show some form and life in the last 7 or 8 games of the season- even though we "rested" Ward and Eric Staal the last two games to fall to 6th place (Caps and Lightning both have 101 points to lead the east... so 5th place meant a date with the 100 point caps in the first round.) Went up 3-1 on Buffalo, Harding (their starter) goes down... and then we lose with 5 minutes left in game 7.

Charlotte and Florida decided to show their solidarity and also lose in the first round of their playoffs. Minor moves made post playoffs- locked up a few to be RFA's, not sure who I will keep depending on my draft (I have NYI, COL's 3rd rounders, traded mine away, TBY's 4th rounder, and I had to send off the 7th rounder to make the Helm deal fit the challenge rules.). Released the rights to Wallmark (sub 6 AvR in the Swedish Elite, and scouts all say he has no chance), and I'll need to sign Nedeljovik and probably Wesley. MacIntyre is refusing to resign (a lot of trade interest, kept him in case of an injury down the stretch- yet he cleared waivers), so I may just let him walk (was more hoping to sign and trade). Since Eichel spent the season with the big club, Fleury will be my S3 homegrown, and S2 homegrown Rask will continue to play the minimum.

Off-season and draft upcoming. No glaring holes, but we still don't have a top defensemen (3 guys have the 'potential', but no one is close yet), and I need to do something to be more than 13 forwards deep for a full season. Odd are high that I will only get through one more season- but I'll treat it like I would if I kept going, instead of selling off the future.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:52 pm

Wow...not praising Eric Staal? WHat did he do not to have the whole happiness of the world put on him? :-D And who knew he was loved so much by his team mates that not praising him would make your whole team want out.

Constantly--well every month or so I get requests to praise Staal, Staal, Ward. Noone else .... ever. In year 5. Yet Skinner is always rated in the top 10 LW and Eric and Jordan are never in the top 10 C. Love EHM.

So past the trade deadline in year 5. As I approached the deadline lost Stetsenko for 4 months with Torn UCL. Thankfully he had played 45 of the 60 games and has reached his Homegrown quota. This left me in a conundrum as I had only 6 dmen in Charlotte and one of those (Petrovic) is out for 2 months as well, and Osipov for 2 weeks. This left me running around right at the deadline looking for a decent replacement. Vancouver had Mark Fayne, who is UFA at end of year and making very little money (600), Dallas had Jonos Holos....same deal, both same age. Holos a little smaller, but better skills. Both were "available" and both are C rated players ... so dealt my 7th round pick to Dallas for Holos as he seemed to have a little more of what I want.

Then the deadline ....then game one after it Cam Ward goes down. Freaked me out. But thankfully only 10 days as I only have Ned and Alt as my next goalies plus the 18 year old mini-Irbe Latvian keeper, who is nowhere near ready even for NHL backup role. Neither Ned or Alt are great either. But thankfully only 10 days.

Roster as of year 5 (2018-19) trade deadline

Skinner-E Staal-Lindholm
Jenner-J Staal-Biggs
Lee- Brett Sutter-Smrek
Olsson-Winchester-Verrier
O'Reilly Kubalik

Faulk-Sekera
Fleury-Murphy
Carrick-Doherty
Holos

Ned
Alt

IR-Ward, Stetsenko
1st call ups-Defense....I have no idea as all with ability are out. Forward-Warkentine, Musil, and super rookie who is lighting up the AHL (Believe is Stumpel regen) and was my 1st round pick this year....4th rounder Richard Kolba. Kolba is scoring at will, and basically has supplanted Musil as #1 C on Charlotte. Also my 2017 4th rounder Ramil Namestnikov is doing very well, but is another year away most likely. The forwards on Charlotte are scoring insane amounts of goals.

2016 4th round pick-LW Blake Clarke 54 games 34-44-78
2018 4th round pick-C Richard Kolba 52 games 36-39-75
2017 4th round pick C/RW Ramil Namestnikov 60 games 29-36-65
2016 1st round pick C/LW Brett Howden 61 games 25-36-61
2014 3rd round pick LW Warren Foegle 61 games 27-33-60
undrafted UFA C Jay Dickman 54 games 18-35-53
2015 1st round pick C Adam Musil 43games 17-28-45
2015 2nd round pick RW/C Miles Warkentine 36 games 26-18-44

The team is averaging 4.85 goals per game. Just lighting it up. 6 20 goal scorers with 2 more who are likely to get there in Dickman and Musil.

Asher413
Challenge Moderator

Post by Asher413 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:24 pm

The EHM trade engine strikes again- I was almost able to get Crosby for Eichel (They countered by adding the rights to Jordan Thompson)... then,

Sabres Shipped out:
Nikita Zadorov and Mikail Grigorenko, the rights to Daniel Spong (#27 overall in last draft)

Penguins shipped out:
Sidney Crosby.

:roll:

Edit: Two clicks of the mouse it gets weirder:

Landenskog to the Pens for Letang.

Looks like Conacher (Rutherford retired last summer) didn't like that core...

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:22 pm

HEh. THat is awseome. Penguin fire sale.

TONS of awards for my prospects in season 5.

1. Dusan Hudec-1st round, 30th overall, 2017 draft, Red Deer Rebels C wins Four Broncos trophy as WHL MVP and the WHL Star Player award. Have now signed him and he is in Charlotte for the playoffs.
2. Jonaton Sandell- 6th round 160th 2017 draft, Saskatoon Blades D-wins WHL Best Defenseman award (Jim Piggott trophy)
3. Dennis Sundstrom-5th round 150th 2017 draft, BB Aramada of the Q, wins Jean Beliveau trophy as top scorer in QMJHL

All 3 players are now signed to their ELC, Sundstrom and Hudec sent to Charlotte to help their playoff run, and Sandell back to the Blades as they were in the WHL final and defeated Portland. Now are off to Mem Cup.

4. Richard Kolba is going to win every award possible in the AHL. Kid went 52-54-106 in 71 games AS A ROOKIE 19 year old in the league. 9.07 avg rating...highest of ANY PLAYER in the league including the goalies. Can you say ROY, MVP, all star, top scoring player, top goal scorer.

Can you say he will be on the Carolina Hurricanes as a 19 year old? Yeah, thought so. This kid is good.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:50 pm

Well it is official. I have now gone on my longest streak ever. The CAnes have won their 5th consecutive Stanley Cup. I have never had a team do that. I am SHOCKED that it was this team. Cool though.

Playoff summary

Carolina knocks off Ottawa in 4, Montreal in 5, Pittsburgh in 5 and LA in 4.

What is interesting about the playoffs. The top lines on the other 4 teams, who played in 18 games vs me, scored EXACTLY 2 goals. 1 by Kopitar and 1 by Pacioretty.

THe Pens top line...which is well somewhat outstanding...Art Ross winner Sid Crosby centres Evgeni Malkin, and yes...ILYA KOVALCHUK. NOT ONE POINT IN THE 5 games between the 3 of them.

Awards--

Conn Smythe-Cam Ward, 2nd place Kopitar (who somehow with 1 point in the 4 games against us, still led playoffs in points) and 3rd...JEFF SKINNER. All Skinner did was score 14 goals in 18 games.

Vezina,Saving Grace, Jennings-Ward
Coach of year-guess who for 5 straight years.
2nd place in Selke-Soon to be UFA Jesse Winchester
Lady Byng 3rd place Jordan Staal

ROOKIE OF YEAR---

1. Tyler Benson Columbus Blue Jackets
2. TYLER BIGGS-CAROLINA HURRICANES
3. SERGEI TOLCHINSKY-Columbus Blue Jackets, but formerly of Carolina Hurricanes (was part of the deal for Boone Jenner)

AHL-Charlotte defeats Utica 4 games to 1, went 66-11-3 in regular season, and had the TOP 11 guys in plus minus in the league, yes top 11. Also had 3 of the top 5 point getters in the league in Kolba, Nemchinov and Clarke. Clarke actually won the scoring title due to short term injuries to the other two. 47-63-110 for the big left wing, from Ann Arbour Michigan

ECHL-Las Vegas Wranglers defeat Portland Pirates
WHL-Saskatoon Blades defeat Portland WInterhawks
OHL-Bellevive Bulls defeat Sault St Marie Greyhounds
QMJHL-Shawinigan Cataractes defeat Drummondville Voyageurs
Mem Cup-BELLVILLE defeats Shawinigan.

World Junior
Gold-Canada
Silver-Russia
Bronze--Germany. What? Now their young guys are getting good too?
Relegated-Switzerland, Kazakhstan. PROMOTED FROM DIVISION 1 France and SLovakia

If you read one thing here.....BIGGEST NEWS--_TEAM USA U20.....RELEGATED TO DIVISION 2, not from top league to div 1, div 1 to div 2. THEY SUCK and scored 2 goals in 7 games

World Champ

Gold-Sweden
Silver-Finland
Bronze-Canada

Germany does not medal for first time in 3 years. In fact they were in relegation group, but made it through. Relegated are Italy and Norway. Promoted from DIvision 1 Austria and Belorus

KHL--Ska St Pete defeat Jokerit in the final. Jokerit makes 1st appearance in 5 years in the league.
SEL-Linkoping defeat Farjstads
SM LEague-Karpat defeat Espoo Blues
DEL-Berlin defeat Kolnert Hale
And for archi if he reads this...

Belfast defeat Dundee in one league noone else cares about.
IN another league noone cares about....Belfast won the Challenge Cup over Nottingham
EPIHL Solway defeated Milton Keynes
but in the EPIHL Cup MIlton Keynes defeated Solway.

Rumour has it that the gangs in these games all wear kilts and pretty necklasses. But Paul Bissonnette scored 88 goals for his team in Belfast. NOT

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:46 pm

2019 NHL Entry Draft

Carolina has 8 selections, and since I am tired of writing names of these guys and well...none are very good, will just let you know where I drafted from.

Round 1-30th--Picked a Dman with ok size from Calgary Hitmen WHL-Scouts call him a poor man's Phaneuf.
Round 2-34th (from Florida for Semin)-Rustyn Burke a good skating LW. from Victoriaville QMJHL
Round 2-60th-Leios Urban, smallish LW from Medicine Hat TIgers WHL. Scored 38 goals last year, split between TIgers and Seattle. Skates very well and is strong.
ROund 3 70th-from Devils for Rask...Franky Robert, RW from Red Deer REbels WHL-He Has been Hudec's linemate the last year and a bit. Scored 30-55-85 last season as a rookie in Red Deer (year before played the last 5 games of year and scored 4-1-5) I had been watching him alot since those 5 games.
Round 3-90th-Kellen Gilmore LD/RD --Big monster from Sarnia. He was ranked in the first round and fell to here. Happy to add him to the team. Mean.
Round 4-103 a decent size Centre from Sault St Marie Greyhounds OHL....just okay. This is the pick I got from Vancouver for Troock
Round 4-120-Last decent looking goalie in the draft. from BB Armada of the Q. Just a decent backup prospect
Round 6--180--big RW who can skate from Sudbury Wolves of the OHL-Rookie season only played 8 minutes per game and scored 40 points. We shall see. Gambled a bit here.

So in the draft I took all CAnadian Hockey League players, which is really what I like to do, unless there are studly looking guys in Europe..

WHL-3 players
OHL-3 players
Q-2 players

Moving on to Year 6. Screenshots for year 5 will come up when I get to July 1 in game.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:23 pm

Ticked off my owners and fans when I traded Sekera for a 2nd. Salary dump.

Lots of superstars retiring in 2019 summer.

CHara, Henrik, Daniel, Havlat, Campbell, and Lecavalier into the HOF

2018 saw Heatley, BRad Richards, Dan Boyle, Iggy, Ryan Miller, Thornton and Marleau, Olli J, Spezza, Legwand and Tanguay.

Next few drafts are gonna get good.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:56 pm

2019-20 Roster and notes

Kolba and Musil both make the team and will play their rookie seasons. Decided on the younger Kolba as the homegrown based solely upon the fact that he had a better season in AHL last year, and he had a better preseason. We shall see. Awfully young at 19 years old.

Skinner-E Staal-Lindholm
Jenner-J Staal-Biggs
Lee-Musil-Verrier
Olsson-Kolba-Warkentine
Kubalik Smrek

Smrek is out for first three weeks, then comes back into the lineup. Injured just prior to last exhibition game. He will replace Warkentine or Verrier most likely and they will be the extras. Will play on 3rd line and PK.

Faulk-Murphy
Fleury-Doherty
Carrick-Stetsenko
Petrovic

Ward
Nedelkjovic

So the fans really hated the Sekera trade. Like alot. And it shows in the stands apparently as my board is " a little sad to see the waning fan interest". But they still support me fully.

And things are only going to get worse with that. Reason being is I am only $650K under the cap for this season, and Jordan Staal is getting a 1.5 million raise for next year. Uh oh.

Guess that is what winning 5 straight cups does. Also Fleury and Faulk are due raises and Murphy next season.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:18 am

Keep forgetting to post the screenshots for season 5. Will do tomorrow most likely

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:16 pm

Now at November 7th.

Made one trade sending Anders Lee and a 4th round pick to Dallas Stars for an unwanted Jack Johnson. After sluggish starts from Carrick, Stetsenko and Doherty, plus a 3 month injury to Petrovic... and having moved Sekera and his big $ out decided I needed another dman. THis however has left me with a very young bottom 6 forward group, and I am looking to find either a C or LW (preferably someone who plays both decently) who is a little more experienced, and not costly.

So waiting for waiver wire claim...on November 7 Shawn Matthias is waived by Colorado. Shawn has spent the last 4 years in Europe, but we shall see. He may be a good fit to go in the lineup and out of the lineup if my youngsters morale is dropping.

So my lineup looks like this:

Skinner- E Staal-Lindholm
Jenner-J Staal-Biggs
Smrek-Kolba-Verrier
Olsson-Musil-Warkentine
Kubalik-Matthias

Olsson has struggled this season so far. He has only had one game which was not a 6 rating, and has been in and out of the lineup. 7th round pick so not a big shock, but is disappointing as in his rookie year he did okay...with a 6.9 avg rating and 8-8-16 with only 4th line minutes. Then in the playoffs....well wow!!!

17 games 4-8-12 with 7.2 rating.

So I was hoping for some improvement, but seems to have regressed. He is a big boy so I will not give up on him just yet.

Faulk-J Johnson
Fleury-Murphy
Stetsenko-Doherty
Carrick

IR-Petrovic, who will likely be waived when returns in January or Feb as he has not been very good.

Ward
Ned

Asher413
Challenge Moderator

Post by Asher413 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:25 am

Second draft has come and gone, but before that...

NHL Major news: Stamkos wins the Art Ross, Zykov the Calder, Toews the Hart, Quick the Vezina, Eichel the all-rookie Center, and the Kings the cup.

This draft I was flush with picks, mostly by moving guys that either couldn't hold on in Raleigh, or guys that were just clogging up vet spots in Charlotte.

Round 1, #19 overall, Parker Aucoin, C/LW. 6'0", 183 lbs
Parker was ranked #38, I put the faith in my scouting staff. The staff thinks he's a more talented version of Stastny. He has some serious holes in his current game, (defensively I think a cardboard cutout may do more), but offensively he's already a step or two from Charlotte, and could handle Florida. He will settle to be a left wing since his defense is so suspect, and I'm looking at Staal/Staal/Eichel up the middle. Kept him in the WHL for this season, he's not ready and I have a homegrown plan for season 4.

Round 2, #49 overall, Christopher Woods, RW, 6'4", 194 lbs
Woods was ranked #90. The draft fell off quickly, no one left I found was projected to be a 1st or 2nd liner. Projects to be a 3rd liner, and isn't even Florida ready. Also will need to seriously improve his defense if he will ever be more than a Charlotte stud. Good news is he's strong, works hard, and is a bit aggressive.

Round 3, #64 overall, Tate Olson, LD, 6'2", 191 lbs.
Ranked #107. Described in the way any long shot is: Hard-working, tireless, willing to sacrifice, professional... Scouts call him Steve Eminger, who hasn't played in the NHL in my challenge at all. Hopefully he surprizes, but I'm not holding a spot for him.

Round 3, #85, Ruzal Galeyev, RW, 6'0", 187 lbs (overage)
Not ranked. 3rd line potential, poor man's Jason Pominville. He's been ripping up the Russian minor leagues, and will get some time in Charlotte to see what he can do against real players. He's already in the discussion for 2nd or 3rd forward up if guys go down.

Round 4, #109, Matthew Bradley, LW/C 5'10", 169 lbs
Ranked #84, small guy, 3rd line/Raffl type player. Skills aren't too far behind, but will need to overcome an anticipation of 5 if he's ever going to make it. Jumped from 27 points in Medicine hat to 70, so hopefully that growth continues.

Round 4, #116, Ludvig Hoff, LW/RW, 5'10", 158 lbs.
A 3rd line potential (poor man's Tom Pyatt). Has little to no skills, only 22 points at Yale... I'm not sure what I was thinking. I think the scouts were still listing him as 4 stars (2 of the 5 scouts), so I figured what do I have to lose?

Round 5, #124, Hayden McCool, LW/c, 6'4", 200 lbs.
Limited potential. Big frame, fun name, balanced 9-11's across the board in skills... yup, I clearly was either out of options or bored at this point... 2 more picks?

Round 5, #139, Thomas Gregoire, LD, 6'0", 158 lbs.
5-6 potential. A beanpole with hitting of 1, anticipation of 5, positioning of 6. This must have been at 1 AM or something... future PP specialist in Charlotte.

Round 6, #169, Dane Schioler, RW, 6'1", 187 lbs.
No potential. Overaged, but put up 95 points in his one season in the WHL, that has to mean something right? Some good skills (Passing, hitting, stickhandling are all 13's), no defensive awareness. This was a 'gamble', and he'll spend the season in Florida to see if his 95 point season was hidden ratings taking over, or just dumb luck.

I'm up to the 1st game of the next season, but I'm behind on posting updates- offseason and plan for season 3 to follow!

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:30 pm

Round 4, #109, Matthew Bradley, LW/C 5'10", 169 lbs
Ranked #84, small guy, 3rd line/Raffl type player. Skills aren't too far behind, but will need to overcome an anticipation of 5 if he's ever going to make it. Jumped from 27 points in Medicine hat to 70, so hopefully that growth continues.
Absolutely love this kid in real life. Could not believe he was not with Medicine Hat last season or the year before that even. Kid is EXTREMELY smart on the ice, in the same category as Sam Reinhart. Hockey IQ is through the roof. He is so strong on the puck, and skates so well. Love him as a player, and I am betting that he makes it to the show some day. Unselfish and makes those around him better. I have seen him play a TON since he turned 14.

A little more gritty Andrew Cassels.

kuulapaa
Commish Team
Custom Rank: General Roster Soreness
Favourite Team: Tampereen Ilves
SBHL Team: Los Angeles Kings

Post by kuulapaa » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:01 pm

End of season #2:

Jan 26th – Patrick Dwyer will be out for about ten days because of a groin strain in game against Devils.

- - - - - -

Jan 31st – Klingberg won the Rookie of the Month award again! This time he scored 6 goals and assisted on 5 in 14 games. He is leading rookies both in scoring goals and points.

- - - - - -

Feb 5th – Hurricanes moved Alexander Semin to Oilers for Teddy Purcell. We are looking forward for Purcell's more balanced play instead of Semin's offense-only approach. With the great production though.

- - - - - -

Mar 8th - Osala went down for some ten days in late February but he's back already. Klingberg got suspended for two games because he threw an elbow on someone. I changed the tactics in whole and got some good results after that. Jordan Staal picked an injury in our winning game against Habs but luckily it was just a minor one, he'll be back in few days. The game result was 7-3 to us, Jeff Skinner was in fire with his one goal and five assists.

- - - - - -

Mar 24th – Hurricanes qualified to the playoffs!

- - - - - -

Eastern Conference Quarter Finals against Pengs in 5, Semi Finals against Red Wings in 5 and then we won three games in a row in Conference Finals against Sens. Then we lost next three in a row and in game #6 we also lost Carl Klingberg to IR for some three weeks. At that point I was forced to do some tweaking in my lineup but I didn't dare to change the starting goalie although Ward hadn't played too well in our losses. The tweaking paid out as in the midway of the game #7 Canes were leading 6-0. And while the latter half of the game didn't go as well, we are heading to Stanley Cup Finals against Dallas Stars! Go Canes!

- - - - - -

We won the first game against Stars at home but then began the Kari Lehtonen Show. He shut us out twice in row. In game #3 we also lost Calvin De Haan for minor injury. In game #4 we managed to break Lehtonen's shutout run but lost that game too. De Haan returned already to this game but he was not himself anymore and he wasn't in the lineup any more. For game #5 we put Khudobin in net and he shut Stars out giving us 2-0 win. And game #6 in Dallas was a real nail biter. After 1st period the game was still goalless. In the first minute of the 2nd period Stars scored a PP goal and less than a minute later another goal. I changed everything I could and got Canes to fight for it. Eric Staal and Elias Lindholm brought us back in the game in the 3rd but two consecutive penalties destroyed us as Matt Carle scored a PP goal when there was 3:11 left of the period. We were not able to even get any real scoring chances on the remaining time despite even of a PP given to us. Stars won the Stanley Cup in 6, scores were 3-5, 5-0, 3-0, 5-1, 0-2, 3-2.

- - - - - -

Trophies:

Art Ross:
Alexander Ovechkin (WSH) – Jeff Carter, Nicklas Bäckström

Bill Masterton:
Jonathan Toews (CHI) – Jeff Carter, David Legwand

Calder Memorial:
Carl Klingberg (CAR) – Nicolas Deslauriers, Derrick Pouliot

Conn Smythe:
Kari Lehtonen (DAL) – Jordan Staal, Jamie Benn

Frank J. Selke:
Ryan Reaves (STL) – Patrick Dwyer, Jay McClement

Jack Adams Award:
Lindy Ruff (DAL) – Bill Peters, Ken Hitchcock

James Norris Memorial:
Jay Bouwmeester (STL) – Ryan McDonagh, Shea Weber

Hart Memorial:
Alexander Ovechkin (WSH) – Jeff Carter, Jonathan Toews

King Clancy Memorial:
Pavel Datsyuk (DET) – Joe Thornton, Paul Gaustad

Lady Byng Memorial:
Jakob Silfverberg (ANA) – Alexander Steen, Zach Parise

Lester B. Pearson Award:
Jonathan Toews (CHI) – Anze Kopitar, Alexander Ovechkin

Maurice 'Rocket' Richard:
Alexander Ovechkin (WSH) – Jeff Carter, Corey Perry

Vezina:
Pekka Rinne (NSH) – Henrik Lundqvist, Jonathan Quick

William M. Jennings:
Jonathan Bernier (TOR)

NHL Plus-Minus Award:
Anze Kopitar (LA) – Sidney Crosby, Nicklas Bäckström

Roger Crozier Saving Grace Award:
Pekka Rinne (NSH) – Tuukka Rask, Henrik Lundqvist

Carl Klingberg got chosen to NHL Rookie All-Star Team.

- - - - - -

Asher413
Challenge Moderator

Post by Asher413 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:52 am

Off-season summary from season 2 to 3:

Trades:
6/10 T. Carrick for a 5th rounder (NYI). Too many D-men, and he wasn't developing. (The Isles released him on 10/12... strange.)
7/5 Sent Tlusty to CGY for a 2nd rounder. I was pushing the cap, and needed the space to sign an FA. He was great, and $2.5 mill wasn't bad for almost 50 points, but the top 6 was getting crowded with Eichel's development, and he was the most expensive non-core guy I had. A 2nd rounder is a decent return too.
7/7 Harrison to the Sharks for a fourth rounder. This one got me in the gut- Harrison outperformed his stats, was only 33, and was cheap. But with Fleury, Thompson (1st rounder last season) and my FA pickup, it was a battle between him and Bellemore for the waiver wire, and Harrison had a bigger return.
7/10 Slavin to the Oilers for a 3rd- roster management move... and shocked I was offered so much (several teams wanted to give me a 3rd).

FA Signing:
Anton Volchenkov. I felt the defense needed an experienced guy that would be able to hold onto a top 4 spot. Hopefully he can be the vet as the youth movement on the blueline hits full swing.

I let MacIntyre, Lowe and McGinn walk, Sutter and Holmstrom I kept their rights as RFA's (Too many vets in Charlotte). Dropped Semin from my core (against the cap, so I want that flexibility if he starts to show age), added Fleury as my homegrown this season (finished the season in Carolina, but my staff still keeps saying not to rush him.).

Going into the season, the lines are:

Skinner, E. Staal, Semin
J. Staal, Eichel, Hjalmarsson
Thorensen, Talbot, Lindholm
Rask, Helm/McClement, Bissonette

Gleason, Sekera
Volchenkov, Faulk
Fleury, Murphy
C. Carrick (in AHL)

Ward
Allen

Rask and McClement will get enough time to fit their core/HG statuses, and I'll see if there's any way to scratch them then. It's weird putting Jordan Staal on the wing, but I didn't really have another guy who deserved to be on the 2nd line.

The season has started well, and it's looking up- hopefully that keeps going. As a side note, I'm in October, and Murphy and Lindholm still want out since I didn't comment about Eric Staal in Jan.

Return to “Challenge Forum”