Challenge #34 - Carolina Hurricanes Discussion Thread

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

batdad
The Great One
Custom Rank: Mr Technology
Favourite Team: Syracuse Bulldogs.

Re: Challenge #34 - Carolina Hurricanes Discussion Thread

Post by batdad » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:49 pm

LOL re Carrick being released. In sooooo many of my trades the guys have almost immediately popped up on waivers. The only major one that did not was Semin. Rest of the deals, guys either got put on the block or waived and not claimed for the most part. Stone and that midget Russian Tolchinsky are playing well for CBJ.

I lost Petrovic on waivers while injured and out for 6 more weeks in season 6. Not sure why they wanted that injury but it was Detoilet who picked him up.

This leaves me in a hole if I lose a dman to injury. My callups from the minors are not that strong, but will likely have to do.

NJ did not waive Rask but put him on the block a month after I dealt him. Now he is getting 3rd line and 2nd PP minutes but still only getting high 6 ratings.

And for some reason Sekera has not played a game for Nashville. His health (Energy level) is at 45% for them, and he just sits and does nothing for 3.5 mill. Phew...glad got rid of him.

And who is this Slavin guy you sent to the OIlers on JUly 10? I do not see him in your past draft picks. When did you sign him to a contract or bring him to Carolina via trade or UFA?

Asher413
Challenge Moderator
Favourite Team: Pittsburgh Penguins

Post by Asher413 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:02 am

I'd have to look at old save files for more info- but I have in my notes that Slavin is a potential homegrown (B)- 4th rounder in 2004 for Carolina, (Not using the updated start date), then signed 9/15/06 from Colorado College.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:29 pm

RIght, yes he is an unsigned prospect at the start of the game. I did not sign and released fairly quickly and completely forgot about him. He was horrible in my game.

thunderbug
Checking Line
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Jets

Post by thunderbug » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:22 am

Whew, just finished season 2. Anton and Cam went beast mode this season. Both were pretty unstoppable during the regular season. Once playoffs hit, it wasn't even like the eastern conference had a chance. The only goalie who could really keep pace with Ward in a series was Pekka Rinne in the finals. If he didn't see as many shots as he did, it would have been interesting. He was definitely keeping them in the games. So the good things for season 2. We tightened up quite a bit and played a whole lot more disciplined hockey. If I had time to get in a few more seasons that would be a focus. The key this year was focusing on the bottom half of the roster. My 1 addition being Brett Connolly on waivers. At one point I was considering no trades or signings. When I saw he hit waivers and I was desperate, I snatched him up and he filled out rather nice. I have a couple guys allowed to fight, but they never seem interested. For the most part my boys are playing a smart game with a good mix of offense and defense. So as far as next year if there were going to be, Fleury would be the HG as he seems ready. Tretyak seems ready too, but will probably keep him down for another year and ride the boys I have. Tretyak absolutely dominated the AHL this year. I started him in the ECHL, and he was killing it, so I put him in the AHL and he took the number 1 spot and won 33 of 44 games in the regular season and has a 1 GAA in the playoffs. Next step is the draft and finish collecting screenshots.

Sometimes I'm bemused by the awards. The Conn Smythe went to Milan Michalek. He was 2nd in scoring for his team in the playoffs(the losing team for the cup). In the finals he had a grand total of 2 points (goals in game one). The rest of the series he scored nothing. In fact he was even on plus minus for the series. Jordan Staal took 2nd, and meh he did better than Michalek in that series, but IMO this was Cam Wards. He had .96 GAA for the playoffs with 5 shutouts. 2 of the shutouts were in the finals. After all that he takes 3rd in Conn Smythe. He did take Vezina though.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:21 pm

One thing the game messes up on is save percentage and how high it is. You will notice for example that in my games...Cam Ward has save of over .95 most of the time and wins the Jennings award but not the Saving Grace, and in the team history the backup goalie always has the best save percentage for the year, even though in general it is around the more realistic .91 or .92. I think this, and reputation kill the chances sometimes of goalies in the Conn Smythe. In my 5 Cup years, there is only one where Cam should not have won it, because he was hurt for one full series. But he has only won it 3 times, with Kopitar winning for LA and Eric Staal winning once.
The ratings for Ward in the season Kopitar won it were .970 save percent, with 7 shutouts, and .96someting with 9.5 avg rating when Staal won it. Staal was in the mid to low 8 rating.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Post by bruins72 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:34 pm

I know that the challenge is coming towards it's end and there are a limited amount of people still playing this one but I'm going to go ahead and extend this one to run until after the new year. Besides the fact that it will give me time to work on my 2nd season and beyond finally (see eLicense thread), it's also not a good time to start a new challenge. Many people are busy with the holidays and such. On the flip side, people that are still in school might be on break and have extra time to play that they normally wouldn't

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:42 pm

So I'm finally back working on my game. I'm in the off-season between seasons 1 and 2. I made 2 trades during that July trade window. I saw that the Flyers were looking to move Wayne Simmonds, so I offered them Gerbe Smurf. They accepted! That should be a big help. It did increase my payroll though. So next I made a salary dump move that got me a decent bottom six guy in return. I sent Liles and his $2.47M per year salary to the Avalanche for Maxime Talbot, who is making $1.116M per. Not bad. I also signed Cody Bass as a UFA to fill out my bottom 6 with some more toughness.

So I'm now past my summer trade window. Once trading opens up again I'll be looking to deal Semin. I just don't like him. I'd like to get a LW for him. I also wouldn't mind dealing Sekera (my 7th defenseman) but I'm a bit concerned with who I would use if I had an injury on D.

Hayden Fleury will be my homegrown for season 2. I signed him right away last season and then loaned him back to his junior team. I didn't see anyone else I liked for a HG, so he'll be it. Rask is a stinker.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:19 pm

I have never been able to get Simmonds or Talbot to play hockey, but everything is better than Gerbe.
I know with their numbers they should, but both do not weigh enough. :-D
Let me know how he works for you.

Yeah-semin Blech. I had trouble moving him for anything of value and it was in like season 4 or 5 I finally dumped him for a 2nd round pick from a bad team in Florida. He has not had over 7 rating since.

Fleury--solid and decent for me. NOt turning into the stud I thought he might. Shot and offensive skill not developing. Defensively and strength and skating he is good. Very good.

Sekera--plays above his attributes for me, but eventually the $ got in the way and I dumped him as well. To Nashville I believe for a 2nd.

My board and fans were widdled at me for the Sekera trade.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:20 am

6 straight cups. Never lost a game in the playoffs. 16-0 2 OT wins.

Beat Isles, Wings, Habs, and Jackets

Conn Smythe-Cam Ward
Calder Trophy-Mr. Kolba, my 2010 4th rounder.
Lady Byng-Eric Staal
Jack Adams-ofcourse my coach Bill Peters
Ward-Vezina,Jennings,1st all star
Kolba-rookie all star
World Championships--Sweden,Canada, Russia. Relegated-Kazakhstan and Croatia, promoted Norway and Archi's favorite Great Britain.
World Junior-Sweden, CAnada, Czech. Relegated-Belarus and Italy. Promoted, Slovenia and Switzerland. USA IS STILL IN GROUP 2, they did not play in Div 1 championship. Maybe group 3 now LOL

AHL-Charlotte wins Calder Cup over Binghampton
ECHL-Bakersfield Condors over Portland Pirates
OHL-WIndsor Spitfires over Peterborough
Q-Victoriaville over Blainsville-Broisband
WHL-Regina over Portland
Mem Cup-Victoriaville defeats host Rouyn-Noranda in final

KHL-Ak Bars over CSKA Moscow
SM LEague-Ilves over HC Satakunta
SEL-Frolunda over Vita Hasten
DEL-Kolner Hale over Adler Manheim

So that is all, screen shots will be up when i get to July 1, as will stats soon.

Off to draft for season 7.

I will be letting Jenner go to free agency, as well as Nedelkjovic.

I moved out a couple guys and may move out Musil as well. He is not performing for me in show at 23 years old, and is only good in AHL.

So....

Sent Carrick and his 1.0 mill to Nashville for Anaheim 3rd rounder
Sent Olson and his 1.4 mill of useless regular season $, and his whiny arse who asked for a trade in like October when I disciplined him for two 5,s in a row .... he is off to Chicago for a 4th round pick.

Signed my entire draft class from 2018 season before the deadline. All did well.

Off to draft and UFA time.

Dealt Musil to Rangers for Peyton Lee, a WHL goalie who really is just going to be my back up until one of my other guys is ready to go

Manimal
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: EHM Rosters Man
Favourite Team: Djurgårdens IF

Post by Manimal » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:35 pm

batdad wrote:6 straight cups. Never lost a game in the playoffs. 16-0 2 OT wins.
When does it get boring?

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:13 pm

:-D It was getting a bit boring, then Kolba came out of nowhere for me. When I get a new player that I draft that interests me I start to get back into it.

I am thinking of selling off a number of my parts in season 7. Except for Cam Ward and Eric Staal...as they will retire Hurricanes. But...then I think and I wonder if I should with this team. IRL after winning this much...they would all be heroes. The core has pretty much been together since the beginning of the run

Ward-Faulk-Murphy-Fleury-Skinner-E Staal-J-Staal-Lindholm. And other than the Staal boys and Ward, they are all still quite young. Would Carolina really move those guys in real life?

Only if they absolutely had to for Salary Cap reasons.

But yeah I know what you mean. It has happened where I do get bored with the run. And then I take a long break from the game. For example, the last time I played it was when I started that little blog that went nowhere because I got bored. How long ago was that?

I expirement with different tactics a ton, and different line makeups before going into the playoffs and then in playoffs I go with what worked best (2 different breakouts, 2 different neutral zone, 2 different offensive zone tactics) and switch my lineup up a bit.

But that being said...this is the first time EVER I have won 16 straight for the Cup, and first time EVER I have won 6 cups in a row. Alot of people out there have done this multiple times.

There was a time where I was bored with it and started looking into the online stuff and DMA/DMB and the results of my look into that are in the threads around online hockey. I ended up having zero interest in it for a variety of reasons.

I tried FHM and went at it hard. Now THAT....was boring.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:12 pm

batdad wrote:I have never been able to get Simmonds or Talbot to play hockey, but everything is better than Gerbe.
I know with their numbers they should, but both do not weigh enough. :-D
Let me know how he works for you.
So Talbot hasn't done much. His average rating is in the 6's but I feel he's been okay defensively. Simmonds' average rating is a straight 7. He's got 11 points in 22 games. That's not so great for a guy who has played 1st or 2nd line and PP RW. I've tried him with both Eric and Jordan Staal. He hasn't really clicked. He's averaging just under 17 minutes a game and he's playing with talent. He should be producing more.

I am pleased with my UFA signing of Cody Bass. He's played mostly 4th line, with a little 3rd line time mixed in. He's a nice physical presence and he's chipped in 4 points. He's got an average rating of 6.95. Not bad for a depth guy.
batdad wrote:Yeah-semin Blech. I had trouble moving him for anything of value and it was in like season 4 or 5 I finally dumped him for a 2nd round pick from a bad team in Florida. He has not had over 7 rating since.
I had a deal in place for him but decided not to pull the trigger. I've had him playing 2nd line LW and he's been doing really well there. Despite Simmonds' lack of production, I think he's creating room for Semin. Anyhow, I had the Flyers agreeing to send me Coburn for Semin. I thought Coburn would be a great physical presence on my blueline. My play was to also trade Sekera at the same time. I thought I was right there with a deal for Sekera, so I delayed the Coburn deal. I had 2 different potential deals working to get a LW to replace Semin, sending out Sekera but both teams wanted just a little bit more than I could offer under the rules. So I ended up cancelling my trade for Coburn and I'm holding in place for now.
batdad wrote:Fleury--solid and decent for me. NOt turning into the stud I thought he might. Shot and offensive skill not developing. Defensively and strength and skating he is good. Very good.
Fleury has had a very nice start to his rookie season. He's got a 7.50 average rating, 10 points in 22 games, and he's a +4. He's only got 8 PIM while laying 40 hits and blocking 26 shots. I need to start playing his a little bit less though. He's got 23:37 ATOI and he's only allowed a max of 24:00.
batdad wrote:Sekera--plays above his attributes for me, but eventually the $ got in the way and I dumped him as well. To Nashville I believe for a 2nd.

My board and fans were widdled at me for the Sekera trade.
Sekera has an average rating of 6.90 in 20 games. He hasn't done that poorly but also hasn't wowed me. In his defense, he doesn't get any special teams time. He's actually performing better than Murphy. I just can't get Murphy to perform up to his attributes for me. He's getting PP time and he only has 3 points. He's got a 6.82 average rating. I think next season he may be dropped from the core and traded. What a waste.

The defenseman who has been a pleasant surprise is Hainsey. He doesn't look like much but he's solid. He's got 8 points and a +9 in 22 games with a 7.59 average rating. He's done this while playing in just the 3rd defensive pairing and top PK unit. Not to shabby!

Asher413
Challenge Moderator

Post by Asher413 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:12 am

I actually just got rid of Sekera in season 3. Too many young d-men to keep a 30 year old making 1.8 million for a 6.78 on my third pairing when I have Fleury, Thompson and Connor Carrick all ready for the show.

Asher413
Challenge Moderator

Post by Asher413 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:03 am

Finished season 3, another disappointing playoff run.

Finished the regular season with the following lines:
J. Staal- Eichel- Lindholm
Skinner- E. Staal- Semin
Thorsesen- Talbot- Halmarsson
Kulda- Gimaldi- Bissonette

Fleury- Murphy
Gleason- Faulk
Volchenkov- Thomson (C. Carrick until 15 games left)

Things went well until about 10 games left- then a team that barely lost any man games (11 by my count) lost 22 in the last 10 games, then ended up with 4 forwards out by game 7 in the playoffs. Took the Rangers to seven after being up 3-1, then lost in game seven- scoring in the whole series: NYR: 12, CAR: 11. Frustrating, but this is also the best I've ever been in the regular season, so I know this is the next step of the learning curve.

Minor notes (not to awards yet): Murphy and Lindholm are still protesting my handling of Staal in the media 16 months before... Murphy refuses to resign, but he doesn't have me or the team listed as "Dislikes", so I think I can get him back as an RFA.

Trades: Tlusty to CGY for a 2nd rounder
Harrison to SJ for a 4th
Slavin to EDM for a 3rd
Sekera to NYI for Collberg- Sekera was falling down the depth chart fast, and since I could bring Carrick up until Thompson was ready (keeping him under 25 so he's next season's homegrown), he was going to be sitting a lot. COllberg will be another questionable depth winger, but that was the best I could do for Sekera... outside of a 3rd 2nd rounder at the time.
2nd rounder to NYR for Pavel Buchnevich- He was lighting up the AHL, and I was on a serious quest to find a 4th line winger. By this point I had given 50% of Charlotte a 3-4 game tryout each on that wing, then sent them back down, called the next up... Buchnevich lasted 5 games before he was sent down.
Claimed Mike Halmo on waivers- was also a -1 per game before I sent him down (he cleared)
Erik Karlsson to FLA for Rocco Grimaldi- another attempt in the quest for a 4th liner, and Karlsson was being valued a lot higher by other teams than me (Many ratings at 11 or lower, 0 points, -5 in 5 games with the 'Canes), and Grimaldi finally seems to have plugged the 4th line slot (6 points in 21 games, but only -3 with 2 PIM, so he wasn't making things worse).

About a 50/50 shot I'll get into season 4- it's an odd week, daycare is closed and I have to plan for next semester. Hopefully I'll get into it, but not holding my breath.

Asher413
Challenge Moderator

Post by Asher413 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:49 am

Season 3 draft: (A Euro-heavy affair)

Round 1, 23rd overall: 18 year old LW/RW Mika Toivonen (FIN) 6'3" 193 lbs Victoriaville
Ranked 25th, first line potential. Scouts call him a bigger, better version of David Perron. He has the physical gifts already, and isn't too far from 4th line skills. He just transferred to the Q from Finland, and will likely spend the season in the Q. He should be a nice replacement from Semin as he gets up there in age.

Round 2, 35th overall: 18 year old LD Radovan Augustin (SVK) 6'2" 194 lbs Topolcany (Slovak First Division)
Ranked 37th, 2nd pair potential. "A bigger, better Dimitry Orlov". A big gamble- solid in many places, but only 10 in Balance and Agility, and 5 in positioning. If he improves right, he'll be a mainstay in Raleigh. No CHL rights, so I'll probably send him to Florida and see if he sorts out. This could be a brilliant pick or a terrible pick...

Round 3, 76th overall: 18 year old G Alban Schmutz (SUI) 6'1" 171 lbs Belleville
Unranked, starter potential like Halak. My scouts were very split from "good" to "marginal", so we'll see who was right. His development will be the hardest part, as he is the backup to a younger goalie. He already slots in as 4th on my goalie depth chart, so hopefully there is improvement in his tank, so three or so years down the road when Ward is gone, I have at least 2 NHL goalies in the system.

Round 3, 83rd overall: 17 year old C/RW Angel Husicka (CZE) 5'9" 185 lbs Plizen (Czech Elite)
Ranked 66, 2nd line potential, a smaller, better version of Nazem Kadri. No CHL rights, and AHL ready, so he will likely end up in Charlotte for this season. Captain material, and if he still has room to develop (one scout thinks he doesn't), then he could easily fit in on the 3rd line as a homegrown next season.

Round 4, 92nd overall: 18 year old LW Milos Strapko 6'2" 202 lbs (SVK) Trebisov (Slovak First Division)
Not ranked, 2nd line potential, either a more talented Nick Foligno or a poor man's Lucic (with quicker feet!). Great skater, great at faceoffs (17), low stamina, skills need work (10's and 11's). If EHM allowed for a faceoff specialist to win draws then get to the bench, he'd have a job already! Not sure what to do with him, he has no CHL rights, but he's not ready for Charlotte. I'm not sure if Slovakia is the place for him to develop though.

Round 4, 113th overall: 18 year old D Olof Granberg, 6'4" 171 lbs (SWE) Sodertajle
Not ranked, limited potential (only had one scout trip), poor man's Ilka Nikulin. Needs to beef up, but he has many skills already at 7th d-man levels, 16 pokecheck and hitting, 20 checking, 12 positioning. If he beefs up, gets a little better on his feet, he will be quite the defensive D-man. Zero hope for him scoring though.

Round 5, 143rd overall: 18 year old RW Alfred Morin, 6'2" 160 lbs (SWE) Vaxjo
Ranked 113, 3rd line potential, poor man's Loui Eriksson, with a slower stride. These Swedish wingers need to learn what a weight room is! Another tweener- he has Charlotte level skills, no CHL rights, and the Elitserien seems to be a bit over his head last season (5th on his team with 19 points). Time will tell if he gets signed after what will be an intense set of camp battles.

Round 6, 173rd overall: 18 year old D Malte Moe, 5'11" 154 lbs (SWE) Vaxjo
Not ranked, 3rd pair potential, a poor man's Voynov or an Andrew Ference. Has a killer slapshot (17), but is lazy. Skills aren't there yet, but if somehow he gets motivated (I miss the mentoring in FM that would solve his workrate...), he could be a power play boomer. Another tiny sweede in weight too.

Round 7, 203rd overall: 17 year old D Jorma Virtenen (FIN) 6'0" 147 lbs Ilves
Unranked, limited potential (1 scout trip), Ryan Staton with a slower stride. Purely picked because he rocked the Finish juniors, and it was this or I picked some random guy from North Korea for the humor. Skating and positioning are week, other key defensive (and some offensive) areas are in the 12's. It's impressive when a guy gets a 9.0 AvR at any level, so hoping for a miracle.

There was no intention of going all Euro, in fact, I didn't realize I did until typing it up. Sadly the Scandinavians are very very light for their height, so those are all serious fliers. Nobody appears to be NHL ready, but several are AHL ready, so there will be a serious challenge for the bottom 20 spots on the roster as many of these guys probably won't get the right development in Europe. Odds are low that I'll get far enough in the challenge for them to impact anything, unless I grow attached to the save file, or the challenge is extended for two months (not advocating that!).

Return to “Challenge Forum”