Challenge #34 - Carolina Hurricanes Discussion Thread

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Re: Challenge #34 - Carolina Hurricanes Discussion Thread

Post by bruins72 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:54 pm

I finally got Jordan Staal back! Happy days are here! :joy:

So it's January 16th and we've played a little more than half our games. Jordan Staal scored in his first game back. So one game back into it, we're sitting in 5th in our conference and we've got a real chance to make a climb back up the standings.

Tlusty had been playing a lot of center and now I've got him moved over to the LW. I've also moved Martin down to the third line. I think my lines are more balanced now. Unfortunately, once Gerbe gets back, I've got to give him minutes because I put him in my core. He'll drag things back down.

batdad
The Great One
Custom Rank: Mr Technology
Favourite Team: Syracuse Bulldogs.

Post by batdad » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:35 pm

Lucky you....Gerbe sits in the stands for me. Should have just waived him. He did not play one playoff game for me in year 2, and I Think only played about 20 games. Thank god I did not put him in my core.

Season 2 ended with me defeating Dallas in the Stanley Cup final 4-1 after taking out Ottawa, Washington and NY Islanders (Working backwards)

Dallas was the upset team of the year finishing 7th in the west, and then steamrolling everyone en route to the final. THey won game one, but then my guys took over.

Mark Stone came back and scored a Double OT winner for me in a game vs Ottawa (think it was game 6--do not have the game up right now) so he has made the trade worthwhile for me already.

I will update you on how Khudobin did in San Jose and how Liles made out in Buffalo in a bit when I get the game up.

I do know this Riley Nash did not do well in New Jersey....6.15 rating (I recall because it is the same rating Gerbe seemed to put up for me) and the Devils have already put him on the block.

Will post my screen shots in the next little bit...once I get to July 1. Won't be doing draft until tomorrow at the earliest.

Big update on the other leagues and champions coming soon.

But for now...World Cup

GOLD-RUSSIA

CAnada, backstopped by two TOronto goalies --yes you know which ones ...same ones that they have in real life....totally sucked and finished 4th, losing the Bronze game I beleive to Finland. CAnnot recall who Russia beat for gold.

My biggest issues is that Jiri Tlusty will not sign with me for next season. But that being said...not worried too much if I lose him, Lee and Osala can handle 2nd line ice time and duties if they are split between them, and will do just fine.

All others that I wanted to resign have reupped with me for next season, and I signed a couple of the bad prospects we have whose rights were coming due. A d man who had finished college and the goalie with the weird name, who keeps having reports about having a bright future.

Let 4 guys or 5 guys go.

AWards, world hockey report, and draft coming soon...followed by July 1 to get all the screenshots up at once.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:35 pm

Waived Gerbe--claimed by the Rangers. This gave me enough $ with the board to sign Tlusty. May lose someone to keep him...we shall see.

Awards-Cam Ward won every goalie award.Peters won coach award. McClement defensive forward, beating Datsyuk and Ryan Reaves. LOL.

Cam Ward won Conn Smythe. Eric Staal second.

ARound the world in 1 minute

Rochester Americans win Calder Cup defeating St John's
Bridgeport wins Kelly Cup, defeating Stockton
Medicine Hat wins Memorial Cup defeating Charlottetown--2nd straight year as runner up to a WHL team
Erie Otters were host, and finished last. Kitchener was the Ontario Champ

World Champ--
1. Russia 2 Czech 3 Finland
Relegated-Kazakhstan and Latvia
Promoted to Div 1-Italy and France. LOL (not making it were no one special)

World JUnior CHamp
1. Canada 2. Sweden 3. USA
Relegated-Denmark and Slovakia
Promoted -France and Latvia.

France is apparently a developing hockey nation in my game. LOL

Russia-SKA St Pete's defeats Automobolist in final
Sweden-Skelleftia defeats MODO in final
FInland-Espoo Blues defeat KooKoo in final
DEL-Red Bull Munchen defeat Berlin in final

Alex Ovechkin scores 69 goals and 123 points to win both goal scoring and scoring championship in NHL
Jeff Carter and Bobby Ryan tied for second in goals with 48

4 players over 100 points-Ovi, Carter, Kopitar and Backstrom.

Gustav Possler-21 year old Ranger prospect (was 5th round pick of Sabres) scored 40 goals to win AHL goal scorer championship.

Zemgus Girgensons--also a former Sabre draft pick (1st round) now with Flyers as part of Claude Giroux trade leads AHL in scoring...106 points. No one else over 100.

Fabian Brunnstrom wins SEL scoring title playing with Leksand, but has now moved back to Frolunda
Dmitry Kazionov wins KHL scoring title playing with Torpedo Novogrod.
VLadimir Ionin-20 year old wins rookie of year, still eligible for NHL draft.
Mike Iggulden wins SM League scoring championship playing for TPS
Aleksei Ainali wins Rookie of Year-still eligible for NHL Draft.
Nick RItchie-now with Anaheim wins OHL scoring championship
Anthony Richard-Cape BReton (NJ 3rd round pick 2007 wins Q scoring champ
Jay Merkley {Penguins 4th round pick), wins WHL scoring champ with Victoria Royals. Now Rangers property and is actually playing and signed in Charlotte as Rangers have not signed)

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:35 am

2016 draft is complete...REALLY READ THIS ONE...it is good.

Top 3 picks
Sean Day-New Jersey
Evan Fitzpatrick-Philly
Tyler Benson-Columbus

THis is a weak weak draft. I was drafting scrubs in the 2nd round, and even my first round pick may never make the team, unless there is some serious pick up in their abilities

1st round-30th-Brett Howden 6'1 196 C/LW Moose Jaw Warriors WHL 2 or 3 line potential say my scouts and he is a smaller version of Patrick Berglund. In other words, not very good.

2nd round - 60th- Dylan Coghlan 6'2 183 RD - Everett Silvertips WHL- Great playoff performance after very average regular season. 29 points in 67 reg season games split between Tri City and Everett, then 6 points in 12 playoff games. Ratings went from low 7 to high 7. Clutch performer? Good size. Needs to fill out.

3rd round-90th-Lachlan Morrison 6'1 211lb R
D- Seattle Thunderbirds WHL-Horrible looking, big boy...went with who my scouts ALL told me to go with, as well...nothing really out there anyway.His player comparisons are Andrew Randozzo and Steve Eminger...two guys who cannot stay in the league. Skates okay but everything else sucks. Maybe I can host a Disney on Ice Special.

4th round 92nd-Tye Felhaber 5'11 178lb C
-Saginaw Spirit. Pick I got for Riley Nash, so why not take his replacement. Dude looks horrible and he is small. Scouts like him though for some reason. Only took this guy as there were absolutely no players left to take from the WHL.

4th round-120th-Blake Clarke 6'2 202lb LW-Saginaw Spirit. Well lookey here....Tye's linemate from Saginaw. Good size, decent skater, and NOT from the WHL. Has leadership potential, so eventually Charlotte or that ECHL team I have will have a great captain. He is going to be a 20 year old next season, may sign him if does okay in camp. Scored 23 goals as a 19 year old in the OHL. Meh...he is just average at best,

5th round-150th-Dmitri Osipov 6'4 191 RD
Edmonton Oil Kings WHL---Ok I lied, there was one more WHL player left, another dman. He is overage as well which is why I left him to here. Honestly thought about taking him in the 2nd round. Good size, ok wheels, and will provide a physical presence for Charlotte some day.

Did I mention there are NO PLAYERS In this draft. Seriously, only 2 goalies that even looked like they would be AHL nevermind NHL caliber and one of them went 2nd overall.

6th round-Mathieu Sevigny - 6'1 169lb C Quebec Remparts QMJHL--Okay this was a total guess. This guy is weak and not very strong...and does not play in the WHL ..... OR FOR THE SAGINAW SPIRIT. But what the heck. Had a pick, and the scouts all gave him 3 stars which is more than I can say for anyone else left in the draft....

The only good thing about this draft...I traded my 7th round pick away for a guy who played 1 game for me before I lost him on waivers. That one game is darn sure gonna be more than anyone else taken in this draft ever plays for me. :-D

Forgot to mention this earlier....the guys I Traded away this year

Anton Khudobin--San JOse, 8 games 2-0-3 record. Did well, and is battling Niemi for #1 job next season.
JM Liles- 22 games, very average performance in Buffalo, same as did for me, but for 2.5 mill no thanks
Riley Nash-as I said before sucked in New Jersey as bad as he sucked for me.
Zach Boychuk-never called up to Calgary (he was part of the Setoguchi trade with the 7th). Did very average work in Adirondack of the AHL.

Off we go to July 1 and Free Agency.

Jiri Tlusty did sign with me for 3.8 mill so I Have some work to do with the cap I am sure. Need to figure it out.

jesterx7769
Fourth Line

Post by jesterx7769 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:14 am

Finished season 2

No real injuries so did a lot better.

6th in goals for
12th in goals against

Trades:
Dwyer for Tanner Glass (4th line defense)
Sekera and Gerbe for Cody Franson (basically upgraded Sekera on RD)
Haydn Fleury for Pacioretty (everyone went wild for Fleury towards deadline so I caved. I don't think Fleury would be good enough to justify A tier anyway)
Cam Ward for Bruins 1st round pick (this was all about salary cap as I couldn't trade Ward for a player. Khubodin had almost identical numbers so I figured what the heck)
JML for draft pick (haven't done this yet but need to before draft for salary cap

Overall I don't think the Canes are bad when healhty but I am still feeling effects of not having great depth. Semin is going to go on the trade block next year, he did alot better on second line than first but he cost soooooooo much money

edit: FORGOT TO SAY HOW I FINISHED ZOMG!

Barely beat Lightning in first round of playoffs, swept by Sens in round 2 (they're loaded)
Last edited by jesterx7769 on Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

jesterx7769
Fourth Line

Post by jesterx7769 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:15 am

Batdad, can I ask why you like the Saginaw Spirit?

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:25 pm

Heh. I actually do not really. Just what happened in the draft. I never even realized it until after the draft. :-D

Lineup for 2016-17

After a very competitive camp especially on the blueline (I was still carrying 12 dmen with 1 game left, and normally I am down to 9 with 4 games left--I play 9 every ex season)...some tough decisions were made based mainly on age and experience. ALl of my dmen (16 of them) were playing really really well in ex season, and so I ended up with really tough decisions.

Skinner-Staal-Semin
Tlusty-Staal-Lindholm
Lee-Rask-Stone
Osala-McClement-Jared Staal
Fast

Faulk-Sekera
Gleason-Murphy
Fleury-Rissanen
Jordan

Ward
Neuvirth

*I kept Jordan up with the big team orginally over Taylor Dougherty who I acquired for Ron Hainsey. JOrdan and Rissanen were playing amazing hockey for the first 9 games basically rotating in and out of lineup...but then Jordan started to fail a bit, and morale went down. Waived him and brought up DOherty who was kicking some serious butt in Charlotte with 3 goals and 5 assists in first 4 games, plus 3 won fights.

So DOherty now with the big club and down went Jordan. Heading into 20th game of season three.

WIll say this...the one guy who is really frustrating me is Jeff Skinner. He has really struggled and in first 19 games only has 3-5-8 playing much time on first unit and a fair bit recently on 2nd. Moved him to third line even for a couple of games. Semin and TLusty doing well, with both having the occasional bad game. But Skinner after scoring 49 goals in season one, has really come down to earth. Bit concerned quite frankly.

kuulapaa
Commish Team
Custom Rank: General Roster Soreness
Favourite Team: Tampereen Ilves
SBHL Team: Los Angeles Kings

Post by kuulapaa » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:39 pm

Some remarks from the latter part of season 1:

Jan 19th is the day to remember. On the same date we got both Jared Staal and Jeff Skinner back from injuries.

- - - - - -

I don't recall any of my teams having this much difficulties with scoring goals.

- - - - - -

A notice: Canes players can't put the puck in the net in shootouts – the worst SO competition was against Ottawa some time ago, 11 shooters, two goals.

- - - - - -

We claimed LW/C Brandon McMillan from waivers in February. Former Coyote brings in some speed and leadership but his atts looks like he won't help us too much on scoring front. Well, in he comes, we'll see how he will do.

- - - - - -

A special notice – Skinner and Semin can't score on breakaways either. They need to get a pass in speed to shoot from.

- - - - - -

Jeff Skinner has suffered from minor injuries three times during the season. Bad luck, bad training or injury proneness?

- - - - - -

Eight games remaining of the regular season and we are six points behind from the 8th place in the East. We're not going to make it.

- - - - - -

Eric Staal went down in game #75. How badly he was hurt, we'll see. Canes won Sharks in a tight game 4-3.

- - - - - -

Eric Staal out ”only” some ten days with groin strain. We have four games in those next ten days.

- - - - - -

Four games left and we are 14th in East. Islanders are one point behind us but they are a game in hand too. In the West there's four teams that are having less points than us so I don't know yet what are our chances in the lottery.

- - - - - -

Winning the conference-leading Caps in the game #80 put us even with them in this season, points were tied 8-8. That doesn't comfort at the moment, not a bit.

- - - - - -

We ended up dead last in the East with 78 points. Winning percent of .476 is quite high for the team on 15th spot, I'd say. The last one is the last one though, no excuses there.

- - - - - -

There was not a single player in the team I could say I was happy about. Well, maybe McClement was one. He blocked the most shots in the team, he had most takeaways so one can say he did what he was paid for. Ward had three shutouts and he got most first star nominations so he was pretty close there too.

- - - - - -

Asher413
Challenge Moderator
Favourite Team: Pittsburgh Penguins

Post by Asher413 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:28 am

This was quite the struggle season 1.

Claimed Nick Tarnasky in the pre-season, as I felt we needed bodies to keep Eric under the 23 minute/game mark (by PK time)... and Tarnasky was the toughest on the team :cry:

*When* all were healthy, the lines generally looked like this:

Skinner-E.Staal-Semin
Tlusty-Nash-Lindholm
Gerbe-McClement-Harrison
Tarnasky in the middle, Combinations of J. Staal, Dwyer, Terry, and Boychuk on the wings.

Faulk-Murphy
Hainesey-Sekera
Liles-Gleason
Bellemore

Notice that Jordan wasn't listed- I rushed him back (we were in 9th and I wanted to be in the playoffs) and paid the price- broke his leg again after 11 games. :\

Injuries tanked this team in late Feb- I brought up Rask for 12 games (want to save him for homegrown, as he's about all the potential 'talent' that fits that bill...), but when Gerbe ends up on your first line, things are bad. After a month of that bad stretch, Peters was canned. With Disco Dan (who I HATED as a Penguins fan... but was okay with being an assistant half the year...) at the helm for the last month we won 5 in a row... then returned to form to finish dead last in the east.

The homegrown player sitution will be a challenge next season. Karlsson (34 points in Charlotte), Levi (6.7 AvR), Rask (37 points, but my scouts think he's fourth line talent at best, and would need B minutes in two years...), Rissanen (7.15 AvR), Shugg (54 points), Sutter (not an NHL player by my scouts- 7 AvR), Altshuller (which means he has to take 25 starts in two years...), and Beiga (who wouldn't get into this defense) are the only options.. this will be a tough choice that will likely be Rask, Shugg or Altshuller.

In the draft: Boy do we need scoring and forwards. The defense can hold on a couple more seasons, but if any injuries strike again, the likes of Gerbe and Nash aren't top 6 forwards, and I couldn't find anyone to fill in the 4th line.

Next update- draft, the magic FA signing, and hopefully a couple of trades (I've had my eye on Marc Staal... you need a complete set!)

visualdarkness
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by visualdarkness » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:40 am

Reading through your posts as I was looking to return to the challenge it looks like an interesting one. Though the new rules looks too complicated and an annoying extra layer to take in consideration so I think that I'll skip it. I was in online leagues before and hated the minimum games played and AOI restrictions they had as I try to play realistically without them but I accidentally missed things and got annoyed when I realized it.

Good luck to you guys and I'll probably just read your stories.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:46 pm

Hmmm....So looking at Oscar Osala.

On Hockey DB he is listed as a 4th round pick of the Washington Capitals. He is not listed in the player tiering spreadsheet.

Yet...when I look at the people who have him listed in their core...they appear to have him listed as a C player. He is a B player, so I am a bit confused.

Reason I am asking is I am looking to trade him.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:39 pm

He should be a B player. I'm guessing people thought he was a C because the game has him listed as being drafted in the 9th round (which doesn't even exist anymore).

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:46 pm

THat is what I figured. I have treated him as a B. Makes him impossible to trade. :-D

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:12 pm

I've been pretty busy at work lately, so I've been progressing very slowly through this challenge. I'm almost at 60 games into season 1 (53). We're doing fairly well now that Jordan Staal is back. We're currently 2nd in the East, 4th in the league. The only 2 teams putting up more goals than us are the Capitals and the Maple Leafs. Both are behind us in the standings though. We're giving up too many goals and need to tighten up our defense though. Eric Staal has slipped out of the league lead for points. He's actually 4th right now, a couple points behind Skinner. Marcus Johansson is in second, benefiting from playing with Ovechkin. Ovechkin is leading by a wide margin! He's got 91 points in 49 games. Johansson has 75 in 52. My guys are 71 and 69.

Asher413
Challenge Moderator

Post by Asher413 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:17 am

Finished up the playoffs and draft in season 1- Charlotte (with some help from Skinner, Lindholm, Faulk and Murray) lost in the Calder Cup finals, and hopefully that will be some valuable experience for all those guys.

Ended up with the 4th pick in the draft, so hopefully that will help overcome my incompetence...

1st Round, Pick 4: Jack Eichel, C, Boston U., 6'2", 194 lbs.
My scouts all love the guy, they all seem to think he's Crosby with a bigger frame. He has the physical tools to be in the show now, but he doesn't yet have the hands or experience. I'm probably going to sign him, and send him to St. John's instead of just dominating Hockey East, and potentially see if he's ready to be the homegrown next season. I'm also happy that he's competent on the wings so he can grown there if I need to get him onto the first two lines in a couple of years.

2nd Round, Pick 34: Jordan Thompson, RD, Saskatoon Blades, 5'11", 183 lbs.
A poor man's Shattenkirk or a slower Karlsson from the scouts. He's not ready for the show either, and will likely spend the year in Saskatoon, and then hopefully Charlotte on his way up. He has some nice tools, but isn't quite ready and needs work on his defense as his scoring isn't enough to overcome it. He also can play RW on top of defense, which would help if overcrowding every becomes an issue on his way up.

3rd Round, Pick 64: Matt Schmalz, C/RW, Sudbury Wolves, 6'6", 213 lbs.
2nd line potential, and after he fills out he should add a huge body to put in front of the net. Currently has little to no offensive skills, but still put up 76 points in the OHL, so hopefully he's just one of those guys who outscores his numbers. A project for sure, and hopefully can fill a nice PK role in a few years.

4th Round, Pick 94: Louis-Philllipe Guindon, G, (Last with Drummondville), 6'2", 194 lbs.
20 years old, career backup potential. Was purely drafted to potentially have two backups (Khobudon and MacIntyre) to trade for something, and from past experience, with only North America on in EHM, there aren't goalies to draft late. Will try to sign him with Charlotte so he can compare to my other options head to head.

5th Round, Pick 124: Kayle Doetzel, D, Edmonton Oil Kings, 6'3", 189 lbs.
Projected to be a #7. Can hit, has a nice slapshot for his skillset (12), but stickhandles like I do, rating of 1 (I was the captain of the C- intramural champions in college 10 years ago... we had cardboard cutouts for goalies). I don't see him being more than some muscle, and if he could learn to fight... might make it against the hothead stars.

6th Round, Pick 154: Stefan Leblanc, LD, Mississauga Steelheads, 6'0", 189 lbs.
Projected to be a 3rd Pair offensive guy, and he's close to his potential. WIll spend the season in Mississauga, then probably become an AHL stalwart for a few years, unless we need some offensive help on the blueline. Charlotte coaches are salivating already.

7th Round, Pick 184: Blake Clark, LW, Saginaw Spirit, 6'1", 196 lbs.
"A bigger, better version of Oskar Osala" (3rd line potential). Somehow slipped through the cracks as I think he's better than my 3 picks before him. He's got the leadership skills to at minimum be a great guy to teach in Charlotte, best case he's a solid 3rd liner that gets to wear an A.

Charlotte will be getting a couple of nice guys to sign (on their payroll), and now I can probably trim some of the fat with help on the way in a couple of years.

After the draft: looking toward season 2: Already made two trades, Liles moves for a 3rd rounder (at least one too many defensmen, maybe two). Gerbe (who just didn't perform for me) for Talbot (which helps our PK and lower two lines). Also trying to sign some more help so I can at minimum not have guys with sub-6 ratings on my 4th line (many times I had three guys who couldn't make 6.0 AvR on my 4th line). I'm also leaning more and more toward using the homegrown on a C level guy and not worry about holding Fleury for another season.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:50 am

I took Clarke in the 2nd draft between year 2 and 3. IN the 4th round...so heh, he slipped through the cracks way more in my game. Looks like a decent draft for you.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:38 am

Skinner and Faulk spent the season in the AHL? Yikes! That's one way to tank the season. I think you lucked out with the game's flaws. Haven't those guys played enough games that they'd have to clear waivers in the real world?

Asher413
Challenge Moderator

Post by Asher413 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:29 am

No- those guys just spent the playoffs in the AHL, and the last 3 regular season games or so after the Canes season was over. I took anyone on the Canes that could go down without waivers down for the playoffs, I figure more games (especially playoff) would be helpful.

Totally forgot to say- Skinner won the Lady Bing, that's about the only NHL level positive.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:47 pm

Ah! That makes much more sense. :thup:

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:34 pm

SO I think...I made a trade that has shaken up the team a tiny bit. Mind you it was a game against the Leafs. :-D Just came off 10 days without Eric Staal and TIm Gleason and am currently still missing Jeff Skinner. I Know I have way to many RW on this team, all of whom are young, and need to make some decisions. Fast, Stone, plus Semin and Lindholm as well as 4 guys in the minors that are doing quite well (Smrek, Tolchinsky, Warkentine and Olsson). I actually have 11 RW under contract right now. Heh.

Anyway...I have decided after the season is over letting go of Shugg and Nemisz and not re-signing them. I also have Jared Staal sitting there and using him as 13th forward mostly....

But...I could not resist this deal and had to make it...adding another RW to the roster. Columbus decided for some reason they wanted Danny Biega. They did not approach for a trade, he was just listed as wanted. C player, not renewing his deal. So....I look at their roster and low and behold a 5th round pick, RW Branden Troock is sitting there.. in the minors...lighting it up.

6'4 220 skates okay, and strong as an oxe with a decent shot. So...I offer Biega for him....and well...they accept.

I leave Troock for a few games in Charlotte--scored 6 points in 6 games, and call him up with Skinner injury. Play him on third line and 2nd unit PP. He scores twice, and sets up another one. Yeah..good start.

Stone is also starting to score a bit for me from the fourth line and on PP. Both guys only play RW. So Semin and Lindholm are not always on the PP right now.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:33 pm

Troock sounds familiar. I think I may have drafted him (or wanted to draft him) in an earlier challenge. You've got to love his size!

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:55 pm

Yeah...the size was the main part of the trade. Only deadline deal I made, and it was before the deadline. Now that I am healthy again, I am exactly $40K under the cap. :-D

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:51 pm

So if I go on to win the Stanley Cup again in year 3...I think I know who wins the Conn Smythe for the third year in a row.

Carolina 5 Detroit 0
Carolina 1 Detroit 0
Carolina 2 Detroit 0
Carolina 3 Detroit 0

Carolina 1 Washington 0

Yep...5 games in, not a goal scored against. Insanity.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:59 pm

So.....end of Season 3, and I see..."McDavid gets offer from Avalanche". I am thinking that he must have a dad as a scout, or some other McDavid in the game. Yeah ... no. It is Connor. Buffalo decides not to sign him and lets his rights lapse. Wow. Yeah right.

BTW--I am gonna lose my head coach Bill Peters. Thankfully I have all the original coaches I brought in on the roster and he will be replaceable. He wants big dough and the board will not give it to me. THey almost did not let me sign Adam Musil....but I got it done.

I hate that it still counts my pending UFA's on the books. I am letting go of Gleason, McCLement and Osala to save approximately 3 million.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:01 am

Season 3 comes to a close, with Carolina defeating Los Angeles 4 games to 1 in the Stanley Cup Final

Awards--serious dearth of awards for my Canes this season. Only awards we won:

1. Vezina-Cam Ward
2. Adams-Bill Peters (managed to get the board to give me enough money to at least offer him a decent contract after the draft, hope he accepts.)

In spite of having a 5 game shutout streak, and collecting 4 more en route to a Stanley Cup Championship...>Cam Ward finished THIRD...yes THIRD in COnn Smythe voting. THe winner was losing team captain Anze Kopitar, and 2nd place went to Canes captain Eric Staal. Totally insane, guess the voters got tired of Cam's complete dominance of the league.
Jay McClement--heading to UFA finished 2nd to Ryan Reeves in the Selke trophy run off.

Rookie of the year went to Nick RItchie of the Ducks with 23 goals. Finishing 2nd...

Carolina LD Haydn Fleury. Finishing 3rd Carolina RD Taylor Doherty.

AROUND THE WORLD

AHL--Calder Cup CHampions...Charlotte Checkers. Led by LD Trevor Carrick, and forwards Miles Warkentine and Sergei Tolchinsky the Checkers defeated Tampa Bay farm club Syracuse Crunch to win the Championship.

Trevor Carrick won the AHL MVP, and AHL top dman award. Brett Pesce finished third in rookie of the year voting. Checker head coach Bob Francis won Coach of the Year.

So a good year for young Hurricane D prospects that is for sure.

WHL-Medicine Hat beat Portland in the league final.
QMJHL-Cape Breton defeated Rimouski in the final
OHL-Sarnia over Belvillie in the final

Mem Cup-Medicine Hat comes out on top in the final over Barrie. Rimouski who lost to Cape Breton in the Q final was the host team.

ECHL-Wheeling Nailers win over Evansville.

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP--This is a BEAUTY.

BRONZE MEDAL-FINLAND
SILVER MEDAL-CANADA
GOLD MEDAL--GERMANY!!!Led by 35 year old career plumber Ken Macgowan, and Goaltender Robb Zepp...the Germans defeated Canada in a shootout in the Gold Medal game 2-1. HAVE TO LOVE IT...there is hope. If you recall, Germany was just promoted to the TOP tier last season.

Relegated-Austria, France. Promoted to the top tier, traditional hockey powerhouse Lithuania and Kazakhstan.

WORLD JUNIORS-GOLD-CAnada,
Silver-Sweden
BRonze USA

Relegated-France and Austria
Promoted-Traditional hockey powerhouse ITALY and Kazakhstan

SM LEAGUE--Saipa defeats Jokipojat in final
DEL-Dusseldorf DEG defeats Kolner Hale
KHL-Mettalurg Magnetikorsk defeats CSKA Moscow in the final
SEL-Frolunda defeats Farjestad.

Next post is my particulary ridiculous draft.

Return to “Challenge Forum”