Challenge #35 - New Jersey Devils Discussion Thread

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Re: Challenge #35 - New Jersey Devils Discussion Thread

Post by bruins72 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:07 pm

Down boy! Down! :-D No offense taken by Eric's post.

So I've completed my first 20 games. Right now we're 24th in the NHL, 12th in the East. We were doing a little better earlier on but we run into a run of injuries where nobody was out for an exceptionally long time but several players were out at the same time. I think this is the most O/SLs I've had in a 20 game segment. I guess it shows that we're right in there for a lot of games but we're just not going for the kill. Our PP is doing very well and our PK isn't bad. We're just not scoring enough at even strength. Our scoring isn't consistent. I guess that's partially a product of the constant line juggling due to injuries. Timmons was called up due to injuries. He played a bit and cleared waivers to go back down after 8 games. Bernier cleared waivers to come up and fill in for injuries too. He's played 8 games but now he got a minor injury and is out a few days. Havlat has missed 8 games so far due to injury. He should be back soon. Josefson missed 10 games due to a rotator cuff strain. He just came back. Henrique missed 4 games. Zidlicky did too.

Greene has been a serious disappointment on defense. I expected him to be my PP quarterback. He's been my worst performer on defense. He's a -7 with 3 points and a 6.58 average rating in 19 games. Gelinas, Merrill, and Larsson have been pretty good for their age and I'm sure they'll be my defensive core going forward. Zidlicky hasn't been bad. I signed Urbom in the preseason and he's been decent. Fraser has been decent too. My forward lines are a mess and I'm not quite sure what to do with them at this point. I guess I'll wait until Havlat and Bernier are back to approach them again and see if I can find something that works.

I'm thinking either Severson or Matteau will be my season 2 homegrown, most likely Matteau. I can't wait to be able to trade away a lot of the age and smurfs on this team.

batdad
The Great One
Custom Rank: Mr Technology
Favourite Team: Syracuse Bulldogs.

Post by batdad » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:11 pm

No chance ... you are just too nice. Kick his butt into actually contributing. :-D I have not found any time for this challenge, and likely won't. But i hope too. Those old guys...I can make em into crotchety old men who score, fight, hit and do generally dumb stuff. Set am all to encouraged, and go form there.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:26 pm

They're not useful for much else. I can't wait to re-work this team!

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:12 pm

So I waived Clowe when he returned from his concussion. $3M per season for that? He'd be a 3rd or 4th line winger, even on this team. I didn't want to pay him that kind of money. I ended up waiving him and Edmonton claimed him. I wonder if I should've left him on the IR and then tried to trade him in the off-season. I didn't think anybody would want him with what he's making. :dunno:

jesterx7769
Challenge Moderator

Post by jesterx7769 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:50 pm

I kept him so far as he is doing decent for me, but he is near impossible to trade. You can't combine him with another B to go after an A bc of salary and 1 for 1 B tier player trades are hard.

Made my first trade though, Stephen Gionta and a 4th round pick for Wayne Simmonds, so I'm pretty happy with that. The "Better" C players seem to best trade bait in this set up.

Also working on Hanzal to be my third line center but going back and forth on trade like 5 times lol

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:54 pm

I had Simmonds in the last challenge (I think that was it). He was a disappointment. I hope he's better for you!

jesterx7769
Challenge Moderator

Post by jesterx7769 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:09 pm

I'm only playing him on my second line so my expectations are somewhat moderate. First line is all speed then second line is Clowe/Zajac/Simmonds. if he still sucks I'll just trade him next year :razz:

btw it doesn't specify in the new rules, but I'm assuming we should wait a year after signing/acquiring a player before trading them? (draft picks/trades)

CJ
TBL Rosters Researcher
Custom Rank: Formerly jhcjobpb
Favourite Team: Florida Panthers

Post by CJ » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:22 pm

bruins72 wrote:I had Simmonds in the last challenge (I think that was it). He was a disappointment. I hope he's better for you!
Remember that none of the guys are the same as they were in the last challenge/database. ;)

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:08 am

jesterx7769 wrote:I'm only playing him on my second line so my expectations are somewhat moderate. First line is all speed then second line is Clowe/Zajac/Simmonds. if he still sucks I'll just trade him next year :razz:

btw it doesn't specify in the new rules, but I'm assuming we should wait a year after signing/acquiring a player before trading them? (draft picks/trades)
It doesn't? Yikes! Another one I missed? Yes, it's supposed to be 1 year on your roster before being traded, just like the old rules.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:09 am

jhcjobpb wrote:
bruins72 wrote:I had Simmonds in the last challenge (I think that was it). He was a disappointment. I hope he's better for you!
Remember that none of the guys are the same as they were in the last challenge/database. ;)
True! But I can't imagine he's much better.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:09 pm

Zubrus is performing so much better than I thought he would. He's my 3rd line center and a top PKer. He's got a 7.22 average rating. He's only got 4 points in 23 games and he's a -6, but that's not so bad considering his age, his role, and his ice time. I'm sure his size plays a big factor in this too.

batdad
The Great One
Custom Rank: Mr Technology
Favourite Team: Syracuse Bulldogs.

Post by batdad » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:35 pm

Simmonds,... no matter what tweaking is done to him will always underperform because of size in the game. Like Alex Burrows.

jesterx7769
Challenge Moderator

Post by jesterx7769 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:44 pm

...yup Simmonds sucks and is now on my third line :cry:

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame
Favourite Team: New York Rangers

Post by Peter_Doherty » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:08 pm

Sooo, everyone is going with Fraser/Salvador/Urbom and keeping Severson in the AHL to have him as HG season 2? :P Might go off the books here and play him right away, tough decision though.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:42 pm

I waived Salvador and sent him to the AHL. He's too slow and has no stamina! I'd love to have him on the team for leadership but I can't justify it. Fraser and Urbom are both doing fairly well for me. They're both floating around at just above a 7.00 average rating. I kept Severson down in the AHL and might keep him there for season 2 as well. He's only 20 years old in season 1 and defensemen mature slower. Sure, he's got a great slapshot that I'd love to see on the PP but I think I might be better off waiting on him. I'll probably go with Matteau for my season 2 HG. If you're desperate for another defenseman, what about giving Raman Noodle a shot? He's a bottom pairing guy, no more. He could work in a pinch though.

jesterx7769
Challenge Moderator

Post by jesterx7769 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:50 pm

Ditto, didn't play Salvador.

Honestly the Devils D is pretty legit so you have alot of options.

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter_Doherty » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:00 pm

Think i made my decision, i'll go with Fraser for season 1 and let Severson/Helgeson jump up in case of injuries (making sure Severson plays under 25 games to still be eligable for HG season 2). Time to post the core in the other thread :) one question, if i add Clowe to my core and he gets another big injury and he cant play 40 games, what happens? :)

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:14 pm

You just need to take a screen shot of his injury.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:49 pm

And down goes Zidlicky! Out 4 months with a partially torn ACL.

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter_Doherty » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:53 pm

It's fine, chose to not go with him in my core anyways... Played a few games and i can already say that this will be a tough season... Might go in hard for #McEichel :)

Asher413
Challenge Moderator
Favourite Team: Pittsburgh Penguins

Post by Asher413 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:34 am

I'm almost done with the preseason, I finally hit that day where I have to starting making choices. I'm leaning toward Seversson, Kujawinski, Matteau or Boucher in the HG role for season 2. I may just play it by ear as more scouting plays out and I see what those guys are doing in Albany (or Jrs for Kuja, but he may make the opening day roster for a stint). Seversson may stay down just by having not enough waiver free D-men, especially since I signed Urbom. At the start of season 2 I guess I'll use that D-man depth to make some moves.

I really want to use a "wheelchair line" of Jagr, Elias and Zubrus just to say to myself "Let's see how the wheelchair line is doing". (Seriously, how sick would that line have been 10 years ago!).

jesterx7769
Challenge Moderator

Post by jesterx7769 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:24 am

Bah! Made it to playoffs rolling as #1 seed and of course had to play Sand Baggin Penguins in round 1 because apparentley they're the 8th seed! Cheaters! :rant: (i lost)

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:10 pm

And another big injury. Urbom went out for 2 months with broken ribs. Ended up bringing Harrold up to take his place.

After a so-so start in the first 10 games or so, my team has been on a constant downward spiral. Zajac's line has stopped scoring. Elias and Ryder just started floating and not producing. Henrique's line with with Cammalleri and Havlat has been much more productive. I can't wait until this season is over. I'm currently 14th in the conference. At least I should have a good draft pick to look forward to!

](*,)

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter_Doherty » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:25 pm

to me Ryder looks done, i'm definitely getting rid of him as soon as possible. I don't even have a spot for him in the PP...

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:56 pm

Yup. Ryder is toast. His physical attributes seem pretty bad half way through the first season for me. He's still looking good for wrist shot and deflections but that's about it. Plus, he's been so inconsistent his whole career.

So just to add to my troubles, Harrold went down in his first game up with the big club. Nothing super long-term but he's missed 4 games already. I ended up bringing up Raman. He's been okay in his place. Then Zajac got injured. Fortunately, he's only out for 10 days.

Looking at my core, I think I'm dropping Ryder and Greene in season 2. No other "older" players are in my core but I plan on moving them. I don't care if I have to play season 2 with a bunch of young kids. This team needs new blood!

Return to “Challenge Forum”