Challenge #35 - New Jersey Devils Discussion Thread

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Re: Challenge #35 - New Jersey Devils Discussion Thread

Post by bruins72 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:08 pm

I just saw a deal go down that I would have loved to have made in the last challenge. The Hurricanes sent Sekera to the Oilers for Yakupov! Straight up. No padding.

CJ
TBL Rosters Researcher
Custom Rank: Formerly jhcjobpb
Favourite Team: Florida Panthers

Post by CJ » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:10 pm

bruins72 wrote:I just saw a deal go down that I would have loved to have made in the last challenge. The Hurricanes sent Sekera to the Oilers for Yakupov! Straight up. No padding.
Maybe Yakupov doesn't have a good PA in that save?!

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:37 pm

That's possible. :dunno:

I've been hoping to find the right player for a waivers claim but there just hasn't been anybody I really wanted. Earlier in the season I saw both Calvin De Hann and Thomas Hickey go on waivers at the same time. I decided I didn't really need more defensemen though. Also, De Hann had no stamina to speak of. I think he had a 9 or a 10. How can an NHL defenseman have stamina that low? I really want to find a checking LW or C to replace either Gomez or Josefson on the 4th line. Bernier has been doing pretty well down there but these two aren't.

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame
Favourite Team: New York Rangers

Post by Peter_Doherty » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:43 pm

I switched my bottom 6 around a bit to good effect, decided to make a purely defensive 3rd line with Ruutu, Zubrus and Bernier because Ryder and Gomez just couldnt handle 3rd line minutes, made both my 3rd and 4th line play better. Really need some youngish (under 30 atleast) depth at forward though, both on the wing and in C.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:31 pm

I shuffled my lines again and now I'm starting to do a little better. We're still not on track to make the playoffs but we've moved from 14 in the conference at 40 games to 11th in the conference as of 58 games. I moved Zajac down to the second line and put Henrique up on the top line. Havlat is getting more ice time and Ryder is getting less. Defense has stabilized even though both Zidlicky and Urbom are out. Oh and I just put a waiver claim in on Brett Sutter. He could be the 4th liner I was looking for.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:45 pm

At the 60 game mark we ended up improving to 10th in the East. My waiver claim on Sutter went through and he was placed on my 4th line. He seemed to have clicked nicely with his linemates (Josefson and Bernier) but one game isn't enough to tell. That line did produce a goal though. Unfortunately, Schneider went down with a chest injury during game 60 and he'll be out for 2 weeks. So we might slide on back down from 10th place. Kinkaid is going to be the starter while Schneider is out. He's actually been a great backup this season. I hope he can handle the extra games for a bit. Clemmemsen has been brought up to play backup but I don't expect him to get any starts.

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter_Doherty » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:24 pm

Pens just put Lapierre on waivers and i think that will be my waiver pickup, can play both C and Wing and has some size and grit without being old as a bat :)

Waived Michael Ryder and Flyers picked him up, after 20 games im smack in the middle of the conference doing alot better then i thought i would.

Animal31
Fourth Line
Favourite Team: Abbotsford Heat

Post by Animal31 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:45 pm

bruins72 wrote:That's possible. :dunno:

I've been hoping to find the right player for a waivers claim but there just hasn't been anybody I really wanted. Earlier in the season I saw both Calvin De Hann and Thomas Hickey go on waivers at the same time. I decided I didn't really need more defensemen though. Also, De Hann had no stamina to speak of. I think he had a 9 or a 10. How can an NHL defenseman have stamina that low? I really want to find a checking LW or C to replace either Gomez or Josefson on the 4th line. Bernier has been doing pretty well down there but these two aren't.
You're the New Jersey McDavid-ing Devils

How can you not have enough Defensemen?

mrballar
Junior League

Post by mrballar » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:24 am

Boy, I chose the right time to get back into EHM. There's been a lot of talk about the Devils and their need to address the aging team - can't wait until the 2nd season to really get into rebuilding this team. Also, thrilled to see the new alternate rules and trade tiers. Nice addition to the challenge.

My team is below average - started the pre-season quite well but Schneider went out with a couple injuries in the first few weeks and has only played about half of the games so far. Hasn't been the same since. I need to tweak my tactics to match up to the players, I think, as they are leaking goals like crazy.

Picked up Paul Gaustad off waivers for some FO wins and grit on the 3rd/4th line and he's put up decent numbers.

Staff looks good to start. Anyone have thoughts on Adam Oates moving forward as HC?

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:05 pm

I'm glad you like the new rules! I think this challenge is shaping up to be a fun one.

As of right now, I plan on keeping Oates moving forward. For the most part, the coaching staff is pretty decent. I foresee only minor changes there.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:01 pm

So I wrapped up first season. We finished 11th in the Eastern Conference, 20th in the league. The Capitals went on to the Stanley Cup Finals and beat the Blues in 7 games. We didn't win any individual awards for the season. We did have the league's 3rd best power play though. Our PK around the middle of the pack. We just need to be able to score more at even strength.

We ended up drafting 11th overall. This was a strange draft in the first round! The Jets won the lottery (after finishing 3rd worst in the league) and chose McDavid. No surprise there. After that, things got strange. The Coyotes picked #13 ranked Daniel Sprong. I did NOT expect that with Eichel and others still on the board. The Panthers were next up to the podium. They went even further off script by taking #30 ranked defenseman Ivan Provorov! He was on my shortlist but Hanafin, Pilon, and Andersson were still on the board. Eichel finally went 5th. 74th ranked Maxim Lazarev went 7th! When my pick came at 11th, I was surprised to see #3 ranked Noah Hanafin still available. I actually had to stop and think about it. I had my eye on Pavel Zacha (ranked #12) and Mikko Rantanen (ranked #18). I was also eyeing Rasmus Andersson at #22. Despite wanting to draft a winger in the first round, I ended up taking Hanafin. I just couldn't pass up the #3 ranked overall player and top ranked defenseman in the draft.

My draft...

Rd1 Noah Hanafin LD/RD 18 y/o 6'2" 207 lbs USA
As stated above, I couldn't pass him up. Great consistency and determination. He should be a very solid all-around defenseman. He's looking forward to playing college hockey. I wonder if I could sign him? The Quebec Remparts have his junior rights. Or should I leave him alone. If I sign him and send him to junior, he'll be available as a homegrown sooner. I've got to think on that.

Rd2 Nathan Noel C 18 y/o 5'11" 183 lbs CAN
He's much smaller than the type of player that I wanted to draft but he's pretty talented and hard to pass up. I got him at #41 and he was ranked #28. He's a really nice skater, has very good mental attributes, and his offensive skills are already pretty good and only going to get better. My scouts compare him to Sidney Crosby. I think that might be a reach but he'll still be very good.

Rd3 Ryan Graham LW 19 y/o 6'1" 207 lbs CAN
This kid has good size and strength. He plays with an edge and has great leadership qualities. He's a 2-way forward. My scouts compare him to a poor man's Kunitz.

Rd4 Liam Dunda LW 17 y/o 6'4 218 lbs CAN
Another big kid. I would have preferred a RW but he was best available. Strong and plays with an edge. Scouts compare him to an offensive minded Frazer McLaren.

Rd6 Blake Clarke LW 19 y/o 6'1" 196 lbs USA
It wasn't my intention to load up on LW's but this is what BPA dictated. He's got decent physical and mental attributes. Scouts compare him to a poor man's Brendan Morrow.

Things didn't quite shake out as I had imagined but I guess this wasn't a bad draft. We'll see how it pans out.

I just need to sim to July 1st so I can post my screens.

CJ
TBL Rosters Researcher
Custom Rank: Formerly jhcjobpb
Favourite Team: Florida Panthers

Post by CJ » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:25 pm

Wow that draft sounded weird. :-D In my season they went pretty much as expected.

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter_Doherty » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:41 pm

Hmm i am a bit confused right now, i was expecting to go really bad so i could tank the first season to draft someone really nice. But halfway into the season im very much in the playoff picture and im not quite sure how.

mrballar
Junior League

Post by mrballar » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:31 am

Peter_Doherty wrote:Hmm i am a bit confused right now, i was expecting to go really bad so i could tank the first season to draft someone really nice. But halfway into the season im very much in the playoff picture and im not quite sure how.
Hahaha, is tanking frowned upon? I haven't explored the prospect pool in the game yet for the Devils but was reading a piece on the Devils as the oldest average team in the league with a not-so-great prospect pool...

I'm excited to try out the new trade system!

mrballar
Junior League

Post by mrballar » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:59 am

Just finished Q3 in Season 1 and my team has shifted closer to the .500 mark :cry:

Clowe came back and I threw him on waivers...and he cleared ](*,)

Pwerplay has jumped up, ran nearly a 22% PP with a terrible PK, which seems to be a trend with my group. I've had injuries across the board from some of my aging players with Zubrus & Zidlicky, and have dealt with regular injuries from Schneider, Zajac, and Havlat. Jagr got himself suspended a couple times as well as a couple other guys.

I threw Kincaid in for a run of 5 games to see if the team would sink down the standings and he put on a rather good showing.

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter_Doherty » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:06 pm

mrballar wrote:
Peter_Doherty wrote:Hmm i am a bit confused right now, i was expecting to go really bad so i could tank the first season to draft someone really nice. But halfway into the season im very much in the playoff picture and im not quite sure how.
Hahaha, is tanking frowned upon? I haven't explored the prospect pool in the game yet for the Devils but was reading a piece on the Devils as the oldest average team in the league with a not-so-great prospect pool...

I'm excited to try out the new trade system!
I'm not sure, with a draft like this im open to tanking atleast :) The prospect pool is good on D weak on forwards i would say. The young D core is really strong though so i like this challenge.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:23 pm

mrballar wrote: I threw Kincaid in for a run of 5 games to see if the team would sink down the standings and he put on a rather good showing.
Kincaid performed so much better than I expected him to. He was a solid backup for me.

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter_Doherty » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:46 pm

Last game of Q3 and Schneider gets injured, 4 months is the verdict. So i guess my hope of playoffs died right there, luckily it's really close looking down the table so #McEichel here i come ;)

edit: Won't get #McEichel but im sure dropping off without Schneider.

mrballar
Junior League

Post by mrballar » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:40 am

I definitely won the McDavid Sweepstakes.

Time to see how it pans out.

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter_Doherty » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:05 pm

I wasn't bad enough in the first three quarters, even without Schneider i only managed to drop to #21 overall :/

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:42 pm

I know the feeling. I thought my team was going to tank but then they'd have a few good games to push them back up the standings again.

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter_Doherty » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:09 pm

Yeah, really annoying... luckily this draft is so deep that its okey drafting around 10th :) Henrique was a monster for me, 62 points in 70 games on a team as weak offensively as this... I hope i can find him a good linemate since Jagr doesn't want to resign (not sure if i would resign even if he wanted). Cammalleri is doing okey to his left but because of his size the game doesn't allow him to play really well....

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:02 pm

I've found Cammalleri to be an exception to the size rule for me. He had 62 points for me in season 1, splitting his play between the 1st and 2nd lines. He's 33 though and I'm going for a young team. He'll probably be gone in season 3.

So I'm still in the offseason heading towards season 2. I hit that short July trade window and decided to really test out the new trade rules. I didn't get to play in the last challenge much because of computer issues. So this is my first real go at them. I decided to try to push their limits instead of going conservatively like I usually do.

I let some of the older players go as UFAs on July 1st. Jagr, Zidlicky, Gomez, and Clemmensen all gone. I didn't want to deal with trying to trade them away or trying to resign them without NTCs. My next order of business was to sign a UFA RW for one of my top 2 lines. There weren't too many to choose from. I put an offer in on Chris Stewart because he had size and seemed like the best option. I wasn't exactly excited about the idea of getting him but he seemed like the best option. I offered him a 3 year deal at $2M per season. He ended up going to the Jets for a 2 year deal at just under $2M per. That was okay though. By the time he decided which team he wanted to sign with, I had already been VERY active in trading. I didn't need Stewart. This is what I did...

Sent Jordan Tootoo to the Kings for Bud Holloway
Holloway wasn't even among the players I had listed in the tiers. He had only played in the minors and Europe. The Kings had signed him in June. He's got decent size, nice physical attributes, and a great shot. Tootoo was sitting in the minors, so this was a no brainer.

Sent Jacob Josefson and Corbin McPherson to the Sabres for Joel Armia
Josefson really couldn't find a good spot on my roster. He played 64 games for us in season 1, mostly on the 4th line. He was horrible. McPherson was a veteran AHLer without any real upside. He's big. That's it. So I was able to unload these 2 guys for a big, young winger that could potentially put up some goals for me.

Sent Steve Bernier and Dan Kelly to the Jets for Carl Klingberg
Bernier surprised me in season 1, playing much better than I expected. He didn't even start the season on my roster but then became a fixture on my 4th line with some 3rd line duty too. The problem was, he's slow. Kelly was just a career minor leaguer with no upside. I saw that the Jets had Klingberg buried in the minors. He hadn't really ever gotten a shot. The kid is a big physical beast with decent defensive attributes. He's a good fit as a 3rd line right wing for us. He's only 24, so he's still got potential for development.

Sent Scott Timmins to the Stars for Ryan Garbutt
Timmins was another guy we had sitting in the minors. He played 8 games with the big team due to injuries and just didn't really impress much. I figured I'd bring in Garbutt as a good 4th line character guy with decent defensive abilities.

Sent Cam Janssen and Mike Sislo to the Coyotes for Joe Vitale
Janssen and Sislo were both sitting in the minors and of no use to me. The Coyotes didn't seem all that high on Vitale but to me he looked like a really good checking forward. He's perfect for my 4th line center this season and then to move up to the 3rd line once Zubrus is gone.

Sent Michael Ryder to the Predators for a 2nd round pick
At this point, the right wing was getting a bit crowded and Ryder really annoyed me in season 1. I knew I wanted to get rid of him. So I shopped him around. Most of the deals involving him that teams wanted didn't work with the trade rules. The Predators and Kings each offered a 2nd rounder. The Kings had the best record in the Western Conference for season 1, so I went with the Predators deal.

Sent Martin Havlat to the Stars for Jarred Tinordi
Havlat performed fairly well for us in season 1 but he's 34 and probably not going to perform as well in the next year or two. I had already found my RWers and really didn't need to keep him around. Tinordi is young and a big boy. He's got nice defensive abilities. I figured he'd be a good addition to my young defensive core.

Sent Stephen Gionta to the Coyotes for Phillip Samuelsson
Gionta is a smurf and was horrible in the 28 games I used him in season 1. I tried working him into other deals that fell through but eventually, I just wanted to get rid of him. The Coyotes offered Ulf's kid. He's 23 and still has some developing to do but I don't expect him to have huge upside. Still, he's good to put down in the AHL this season and then maybe bring him up next season. We'll see.

So now I've got my roster set for the season, all done by July 13th. I would have liked to have gotten rid of Elias but he's got 1 more year left on his contract with a NTC. My plan is to bury him on the 4th line but play him on the PP. We'll see how that works out.

These are my lines...

Matteau (my HG) - Henrique - Holloway
Cammalleri - Zajac - Armia
Ruutuu - Zubrus - Klingberg
Elias - Vitale - Garbut

Gelinas - Larsson
Greene - Fraser
Tinordi - Merrill

Schneider - Kincaid

Extra skaters: Harrold - Sutter

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter_Doherty » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:21 pm

Yeah i agree, Cammalleri is doing OK for me... his average rating is lowish though because of his size which is what i meant.

I just went through the draft and drafted as #10, thought i would have an easy choice but when it came to me i got something to really think about... Hanifin, Strome and Werenski were all available. After some thinking i ended up drafting Werenski, might come back and bite me in the ass but i feel comfortable with it. In the second round i really felt like i had to adress the lack of RW prospects and took Brock Boeser. Overall i feel good with the draft :)

edit: Biggest surprise for me was that Clowe came back and played really well for me on my 4th line when he got healthy. I am probably bumping him to the 3rd line this season.

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter_Doherty » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:03 pm

Start of July and i really really wanted to sign Dubinsky for my UFA, he chose to resign late though :/ Now i am not sure, might take a shot at Zuccarello even though his size scares me. Meanwhile i'm also being active in the trade market, nothing is done yet but looks like im getting Pulkkinen for Zubrus and Bjugstad for Gionta + 4th rounder. Since i'm new to the rules im posting these here before i rush through July incase something is wrong with the trades, would appreciate a quick answer to if they look okey :) I think the Bjugstad one is OK but i feel like im robbing them so i'm still not sure :P

Return to “Challenge Forum”