Challenge #36 - Philadelphia Flyers Discussion Thread

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

sao.phim
Drafted
Favourite Team: Flyers

Re: Challenge #36 - Philadelphia Flyers Discussion Thread

Post by sao.phim » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:19 pm

Your numbers for Brodie prove the deal was worth it. I am thinking about adding M.Read in the mix for trade as well, his cap is high and he does not produce too much points for offense. But all my trade chips did not have spectacular season, so it will be hard to make a good deal. I wait for October, because some teams are heavily over the cap -Kings and Blackhawks are over 80 million! Would like to get Keith, Seabrook or Hjalmarsson and if i was successfull, then offload the rest of my chips for prospects. But i dont give too much chance for that.
Also thinking about M. Hoffman or J. Sekac, but they are both C tier and their teams will not like to add some lower picks I guess. Unfortunately, Mark Stone became RFA.

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame
Favourite Team: New York Rangers

Post by Peter_Doherty » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:22 pm

Yeah, Brodie worked out great, could make the deal because there were 4 good Tier B LWs on UFA to replace Raffl. Just make sure Read is not on your core when you trade him :) Also don't make my mistake of being over the Cap at the start of October, i had to waive Luke Schenn because i was over the cap at my first game... Didn't hurt too much to waive Schenn but i could have traded him for assets, now i got nothing :P

batdad
The Great One
Custom Rank: Mr Technology
Favourite Team: Syracuse Bulldogs.

Post by batdad » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:01 pm

FInished first regular season and well into the playoffs.

Getting a good chuckle out of my FLyers.

Sweep the Islanders 4-0. Voracek 1 pt 0 goals, Giroux 2 points 0 goals. Braden Schenn and Rafl do all the damage. Well really it was Steve Mason.
Round 2...My Flyers take out Rangers 4-1. Voracek, 0-0-0, Giroux 0-1-1. AGain Schenn Raffl and SImmonds now contributing.
Round 3==Flyers sweep Lightning. Voracek wakes up 3-2-5, Giroux 0-3-3. Braden Schenn leads team in scoring 2-9-11. Raffl second 5-5-10.

Most goals for the team in playoffs? Raffl has 5, and so does.....Mark Streit. Who has 0 assists to go with his 5 goals. LOL.

Total score in the 13 playoff games to this point for me:

Philadelphia 32 Opposition 9. Rangers scored 3 goals in one game.

Secret?---I change my line use every game, I change my top line a little every game and each game I change one of my breakout, neutral zone and forecheck.

I start Normal-Equal, game two I start Overload Normal (until end of 1 or up 2-0 whichever first), Normal-Equal, Equal-Equal with line match 1-1, 2-2 for first and third periods, no matching in 2nd...but top line guys are always my 2nd line in game 4.

Raffl and Umberger rotate every game in playoffs Game 1 Raffl top line, game 2 umberger, game 3.... Giroux goes to 2nd line in Game 3 Schenn to top. Voracek goes to 2nd line and Simmonds to top line for games 4-5.

That way when opponent is matching up and has specific players up against my guys (Which they seem to)....they still lose. LOL

THere is a definite pattern to winning in the playoffs, that is different ...much different than regular season. Although even there, the line use changes work alot.

From experience if I lose any games in a round...it is game 3 or game 4. Occasionally I lose game 5 as well (overload-normal for p1)

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:11 pm

Okay..so Stanley Cup FInal vs Chicago.

Game 1. Philly 1 Chicago 0 OT UMBERGER with the winner. SHOTS: Philly 40 Chicago 23.
Game 2 Philly 2 Chicago 1. Giroux and Grossman Kane for Chicago. SHOTS: Philly 34 Chicago 21
Game 3 Philly 2 Chicago 0. Streit and Raffl for Philly. SHOTS Philly 30, Chicago 37 (So finally Mason has to do something, and clearly did)
Game 4 Philly 3 Chicago 2 (OT) Couturier scores the winner, Umberger with 2, Chicago goals Toews and Hjalmarsson SHOTS Philly 31 Chicago 42.

So yeah have a feeling I know who is playoff MVP...and yes he is.

Final tally for my playoff record 16-1-0 (darn missed a game), Philly scores 40 Opponents 12. Scary numbers. Not sure that even my tactics can make them this good. Something else in the game?

Off to the draft, and stats and shots will get posted once I hit July 1.

nickflyers
Top Prospect

Post by nickflyers » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:21 pm

batdad wrote:Okay..so Stanley Cup FInal vs Chicago.

Game 1. Philly 1 Chicago 0 OT UMBERGER with the winner. SHOTS: Philly 40 Chicago 23.
Game 2 Philly 2 Chicago 1. Giroux and Grossman Kane for Chicago. SHOTS: Philly 34 Chicago 21
Game 3 Philly 2 Chicago 0. Streit and Raffl for Philly. SHOTS Philly 30, Chicago 37 (So finally Mason has to do something, and clearly did)
Game 4 Philly 3 Chicago 2 (OT) Couturier scores the winner, Umberger with 2, Chicago goals Toews and Hjalmarsson SHOTS Philly 31 Chicago 42.

So yeah have a feeling I know who is playoff MVP...and yes he is.

Final tally for my playoff record 16-1-0 (darn missed a game), Philly scores 40 Opponents 12. Scary numbers. Not sure that even my tactics can make them this good. Something else in the game?

Off to the draft, and stats and shots will get posted once I hit July 1.

REVENGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :1st: :joy: :clap: :party:

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:01 pm

Draft went well for me. My 2nd round dude...got a few offers for him immediately after draft. THat is a good sign.

July 1- Offers out for Santorelli, Drazenovic, Cracknell. Plan on signing 2 of the 3. Got 1. Drazenovic. Cracks went to Europe, and Santo to Buffalo. I now have an offer out for Matthias.

But the best part of tis early July was

Philadephia trades Nick Grossman and Petterson to Toronto for Nicklas Jensen. Only deal so far. Gonna eventually move one of Schenn and MacDonald on D, and probably Vinny up front.

Gotisbierre, Leier and Laughton will battle for homegrown. Losers will be next year.

Rinaldo is somehow taking me to arbitration although I swear he was an UFA. Listed in my unsigned prosepcts. Wanted 1.7 .... no thanks for a dufus who only won 7 of 21 fights.

sao.phim
Drafted

Post by sao.phim » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:29 pm

Batdad - my hat off =D> unbelievable playoffs :thup:

So, I moved to October. Pre-season very constraided, recorded more losses than wins. Regular season began with injuries of Voracek, B. Schenn and Vinny. :doh: Luckily only short-therm. So far we are playing Ok, but winning games only by one goal difference. My PP sucks. Kings had to waive Martinez (NJD) and Dustin Brown (Jets). I decided to lower the salary cap rather sooner than later and sent Umberger to Devils for S. Matteau. He is going to spend the season on the farm, so this trade saves us 4 mil. in salary budget for contract extensions. Board and fans were angry, but I think this move was necessary and we also get future star two-way forward. Another positive news is contract extension for B.Schenn on same cap hit 2,5 m/y for two more seasons. I have already started extension talks with Voracek, but he refused my offer for 24 m in 4 years with status of key player. :doh: :-o Hope he will change his mind soon. Now we are exploring options to move L. Schenn. He does not generate too much interest around the league. :dunno:

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:53 pm

Thanks sao.phim your numbers for season 1 really strong as well.
Even for me that playoff was nuts. :-D

My 2nd preseason.

Phil 0 MON 7 (That sieve college kid, not one NHL vet dressed)
Phil 0 NYI 5 (only vets dressed were AHLers)
PHI 2 NJ 3 OT (akesson, Read and Couturier top line)
Phi 3 TB 4 OT (Voracek on 4th line, Giroux on third)

Yeah...ouch....should have booked a gamewith Toronto. Mind you have played the young guys in all the games, Jakub one, Schenn one, giroux 1. Mason...0

So we shall see.

Lineup starting to sort itself out...couple decisions to make but likely this:

B Schenn-Giroux-Voracek
Raffl-Couturier-Simmonds
Umberger-Read-Jensen
Drazenovic-Matthias-Leier (or Laughton)
Extras: Rinaldo and Vinny

THat third line may end up with Couturier at C and Read on left side. Umberger back to top line, but want to give Couturier some more time. JEnsen will get 2nd unit PP time. He is one of the few looking good in pre season (scored 3 goals out of my 5 LOL)

Same D as last year to start with...

Del Zotto-Streit
Schultz-Kostka
MacDonald-Gudas

Gotisbieree, Luke Schenn fighting for #7. Likely Lukey gets it just because I do not want to use up all of Leier, Laughton and Gotis re homegrwon.

Mason
Zepp

Let Emery walk...don't need him anyway.

I will watch waiver wire for a good solid dman, who makes alot of money if need be...I have 6.5 mill in room. If not...will likely make some kind of a trade for a stud young one.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:33 pm

Ugh Double post. WHere is everyone?

So...I made a deal. Was not going to and was going to wait, but Luke Schenn makes me insane.

Columbus put Connauton on the block and had Bourque as available and in the minors. 2 games into the year I decided to go after this deal. B for two C.

Luke Schenn to Columbus for Rene Bourque and Kevin Connauton. Not exactly a huge trade one would think. Just get rid of each other's spare parts.

Well..I am leaving Rene in the minors for now. Target was Connauton.

REWARD FOR ME!

2 games with me....1-3-4. plus 3. One PP Point (but PP is 3-9 in his presence, with him on the ice for all 3 goals. Early reviews say he is a good fit for this group.

Lineup looks like this above is now formalized into definite status

Raffl-Giroux-Voracek
Umberger- B Schenn- Simmonds
Leier-Couturier-Read
Drazenovic-Matthias-Jensen

Jensen is getting PP time on 2nd unit and is getting points 0-3-3 in his 3 games. So happy with that. Drazenovic is okay, and Matthias is doing what I need him to.

Taylor Leier? All of a sudden my scouts say this guy is going to be a 2nd liner. From limited last year at start up, to 4th line, and now 2nd line. Have to scout him again.

He scored the winning goal in 4th game vs New Jersey. Very pleased so far.

sao.phim
Drafted

Post by sao.phim » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:33 pm

Batdad - good to hear, that Leier is developing well for you. In my game he is still playing in AHL, in the beginning of Season 2 looks like going to develop into important player, so far 3+3 in 9 games, playing in 2nd line.

My Flyers are leading divison, 9-2-0. I made my biggest trade - acquired young gun Tomas Hertl from Sharks for package of Luke Schenn + Matt Read, two "Bs" for one "A".
Currently we are living Story of Lecavalier Resurrection - I moved Vinny to center 2nd line and he has there 3+5 in 8 games. Second line is Hertl-Lecavalier-Simmonds. Hertl scored three goals in his first two games, but his morale went from "Superb" to "OK", hmmm :-?

Signed Voracek for 5,5 m/y till 2018. My Avr Club Salary is now at 59 m. 8-)

In AHL, my first line LW Fiala looks very promising - 6+4 in 10 games. Lehigh Valley is loaded with talent on LW - Fiala, Leier, Matteau, but very weak in the center - Cousins (currently injured) and Goulbourne only. Also Stolarz looks much more stronger and shows more consistency than last year.

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter_Doherty » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:23 pm

Leier looks like a bust for me :/

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:52 am

LEier is doing just fine. 7.2 ratings through 14 games. 2-5-7 on third line only. No PP no PK. Normal equal and occasionally overload. I am surprised somewhat because of his attributes not being all that great, but kid is doing really well. May help that he is always playing with Read and either Couturier or Schenn,

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:50 am

I DID IT!!!! I think this is first time in a challenge. I did it once before. Have a look at challenge stats and see if you notice what I did. :-D

sao.phim
Drafted

Post by sao.phim » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:56 am

:thup: Hey batdad, don't you wanna call Hexy, when Chief is gone now? :-)

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:21 am

No chance in hell I would coach those spoiled rotten farts. :-D

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:35 pm

Win streak ends at 24. However, still got a point as lost in OT

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:09 pm

Lost Streit to injury for two months. Almost dealt Vinny to get another dman as Gotisbiere is not ready. Noone else either. However while i was working on trades, actually dressed Vinny for a couple games. He had played 3 of the first 26. In the 3 games I have played him....on third line with Leier and Read...3-1-4. Yeah so killed that trade idea, and dealt the Chicago 4th round pick we have to Winnipeg for Patrick Wiercoch who they had on the block.

Vinny seems to want to play.

ETA: 2 games later now 5-1-6 all 5 scored in the last 5.

umwoz
Minor League

Post by umwoz » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:29 pm

bruins72 wrote:On this challenge I haven't been able to get any of my tactics to work. Usually (back in EHM 2007), I have most of my defensemen set to join the rush unless they're really slow and have no offensive ability at all. Then again, I usually go with a very offense-oriented style of play.

I've been having a hard time getting into this challenge. I just really don't like this team, so it's been a struggle. I've been contemplating doing a non-challenge game where I "blow up" the Bruins. Sim to the end of the season, fire all or most of the staff, deal off all of the older players and overpaid players, and then rebuild with youth.
This is the kind of creativity the challenges could use. Give a limited subset of rules. Like start with Carolina and you can trade Eric Staal only in the FIRST season, or start with Edmonton but you HAVE to trade one of the kids in the first season.(both probably starting dates of Spring 2015)

Those are just two suggestions, yours is great as well and I'm sure many others exist.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:13 pm

40 games into year 2. No clue how I went 17-2-1 with a PP at 11%. My troubles with it, after a ridiculous first 20 games for me at 20% have returned not surprisingly.

My goalies have refused to allow the opposition more than 2 goals in a game, save one time where Mason gave up 3 PP goals to Washington in a 4-3 shootout win for us. One game in 40 with 3 or more goals. Insane.

Vinny continues to do some things. He has a couple flat games I sit him out. But in the games he has dressed? 14 games...6 goals 3 assists 9 points playing exclusively on third or fourth line with only one game where he got any PP Time. Leier occasionally gets up onto third line and VInny to fourth.

Lineup:

Raffl-Giroux-Voracek
Umberger-Schenn-Simmonds
Lecavalier-Couturier-Read
Leier-Matthias-Jensen
Drazenovic Akeson

Akeson and Draz get into at least every 2nd game, my bottom 6 change around quite a bit, as basically all these guys are doing the same things. It is a nice luxury to have...but still want to improve top 2 lines and move 1 guy down.

RIght now Streit is out. He is due back in 3 weeks as has missed two months. He and Connauton had some real chemistry right off the hop on the PP and we really miss Streit on it. With the two together PP was something like 28% without Streit it is 11%. Yeah I know what is up there.

Dpairs look like this:

Del Zotto-Kostka
MacDonald-Connauton
Schultz-Weircoch
Gudas

Gudas gets in every 2nd game, and moves whoever had a disappointing day out of the game. Only exception to sitting a game is Del Zotto. Almost a rotation among the other 5, although Kostka has begun picking up his game. Weircoch has been okay, but when Streit comes back I have a problem. Someone has to move out, but I knew that was going to happen. My guess? MacDonald as he may have some value for a forward.

Goal Mason and Zepp. Mason is playing more this year, last year played 2 sat one. This year depending on schedule playing 3 sit one for the most part. Never playing him in back to back games. No intention to as Zepp is playing well enough.

I am not giving Craig Berube a new contract as I have Bylsma sitting in the wings as an assistant to move up to head coach. Signed him at start of game.Mike Ramsey is also a possibility. I still have Hatcher and Mullen and because just letting Berube go without resigning or firing....can fire one of those two losers. Hate them both. They do nothing for the players. I will need to find a conditioning coach, but one will be available who is better than Berube for sure.

Giroux and Couturier are becoming the same player. In and out....one is good one game, the other is good the next. Giroux has had a terrible start to first half of season unlike year 1 where he was on fire, and is not even a point per game. As a result, neither is Voracek. Signs of Voracek waking up though.

Simmonds has slowed down and is not scoring the way he did to start the year. IN fact none of the guys are.

Raffl leads the league with 26 goals in 40 games. Tarasenko has 25 in 38. Tyler Toffoli (now a Canuck in Vrbata trade) has 24 in 40 and Daniel Sedin 23 in 40. Ovenchicken has 22.

Taylor Hall--yes Taylor HAll in Edmonton leads the league with 47 points in 36 games. He is followed by Ovechkin, Malkin and Raffl. There are only 11guys in the league with more than a point per game at this point (Others are Toffoli, Perron, Daniel Sedin, Stamkos, Kessel Parise and Getzlaf.

So yeah the last adjustment on scoring in the last update seems to be working in my game.

NHL Shot leaders though. TOp 11 are defensemen, followed by Michael Raffl and Nickushkin and then 5 more dmen.

Shot blocks way too low, with all forwards at the top other than Ryan McDonough.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Post by bruins72 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:12 pm

umwoz wrote:
bruins72 wrote:On this challenge I haven't been able to get any of my tactics to work. Usually (back in EHM 2007), I have most of my defensemen set to join the rush unless they're really slow and have no offensive ability at all. Then again, I usually go with a very offense-oriented style of play.

I've been having a hard time getting into this challenge. I just really don't like this team, so it's been a struggle. I've been contemplating doing a non-challenge game where I "blow up" the Bruins. Sim to the end of the season, fire all or most of the staff, deal off all of the older players and overpaid players, and then rebuild with youth.
This is the kind of creativity the challenges could use. Give a limited subset of rules. Like start with Carolina and you can trade Eric Staal only in the FIRST season, or start with Edmonton but you HAVE to trade one of the kids in the first season.(both probably starting dates of Spring 2015)

Those are just two suggestions, yours is great as well and I'm sure many others exist.
I've thought of this in the past. I just wasn't sure how we could govern it. It's worth some thought again though. Maybe toss it out there in the Challenge Questions and Feedback thread and get some more opinions on it? We can see what kind of interest there would be in it.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:33 pm

Yeah I think something similar to that would be super cool. Break up the TWINS! Dump that superstar goalie for nothing more than a 2nd line guy.

I also love the games with the fantasy roster, and I Really enjoyed the one where you simmed some and we started a few years into the game so people had different lineups after a year or two because of regens.

So many other things to try. If you want some help B72...you know you have me.

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter_Doherty » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:55 pm

Simming a season or more and starting at the draft (or close to it atleast, might want to be able to scout some first) would be really fun...

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:17 am

Boys went into a HUGE slump. I lost 4 of 5, and only 2 of those went into OT. Rested Giroux fo a game as he has not been playing well. Brought him back....and boom he and Voracek have 4 point nights. The first time all year either of them has been over two.

Also I have been very unhappy with my PP, it is now down to 13.1 percent even though Streit is back. Not sure what is up with it, but it is a mess....not gonna do anything about it as still have a winning team. Too much changing things around and it will just totally get worse. Except its already about 1 for its last 30

Dealt Akesson and Kostka to Phoenix for Mark Stone. I hate Gudas and AKesson is easily replaced by Jensen and others. My D is so bad. Hate them all.

Kopi
Fourth Line

Post by Kopi » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:50 pm

Just finished 1st season and in the last game got my playoff spot as 8th positioned on the East...lost then to NYR 4:1 in series. Thought i would get easier in playoffs but some injuries that hit Giroux and some other guys cost me some loses...

No matter what im happy with 1st season as this is actualy my 1st full season in EHM EA. Ok now i have to read the rules to get ready for the off season and who to put as HG.

sao.phim
Drafted

Post by sao.phim » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:04 pm

batdad - that PP slump happened to me in the first season as well. If I remember correctly, somewhere between games 50 and 75. No matter what I changed, I could not make them scoring again. Especially my first PP Unit. Changed Tempo, Puck Pressure, Breakaway, Neutral & Offenzive zone, Playmaker, everything. Rotation of players did not help - playmakers Streit/MDZ, moved even Voracek to RD, at C tried Schenn, Couts, Simmonds, personal tactics changes... could not make them going again.
Hope it will not happen in my second season. I am trying to keep it fresh and I change it every two or three games, only keeping Giroux on LW with barrage shooting.

Return to “Challenge Forum”