Challenge #36 - Philadelphia Flyers Discussion Thread

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame
Favourite Team: New York Rangers

Re: Challenge #36 - Philadelphia Flyers Discussion Thread

Post by Peter_Doherty » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:57 am

Think there is alot of player that need Tier change, overall the ruleset needs an update which is why i think we should go with super basic rules for the next challenge and give us (bruins) time to update these rules for the future, which would also make it easier for some new players to jump into the challenge.

sao.phim
Drafted
Favourite Team: Flyers

Post by sao.phim » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:28 pm

Kopi - how did you manage Schultz+Grossman scoring so much - 50/40 - points?

batdad
The Great One
Custom Rank: Mr Technology
Favourite Team: Syracuse Bulldogs.

Post by batdad » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:22 pm

I saw that and kudos Kopi. That is ridiculous for those two. LOL. Both on the PP? And how in god name do you make PP work if those two are on it?

Must have played them on top line with Giroux. Heh.

Yeah there are a few that could use tier changes. However...I will say this....do you really think Nashville will move Roman Josi for basically anything? No...they will not. So the fact that he is impossible to trade for is a good thing IMHO. You have to overpay to get him, and B players generally will not work to get him. THat is good, as it forces us to look for actual possible trades. Not a 3-6 dman or 3rd liner plus pick for a stud. I have no issue with young guys who will never be dealt by there teams (at least never within the confines of the 3-4 seasons played in challenges). It is helping the AI not to be stupid. I like that.

But yeah, moving forward we have lots of new people and want them in challenges, so B72 will be looking at rules I am sure.

B72--you know I am willling to help with that.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:56 pm

Huge deal at the deadline. Phoenix traded the rights to Jack Eichel straight up to Rangers for Rick Nash. Wow.

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter_Doherty » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:58 pm

That's one way to fix the cap issues if you are Rangers :D

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:14 pm

No cap issues, this is at deadline. They were fine. Just not having a good season. FIred AV half way through. Had I not already fired Hatcher and signed Peter Horacek, AV may have been my assistant. Of course he is still available right now. LOL. Three teams have hired coaches since he got canned. Montreal fired Therrien, San Jose fired Joe Mullen (LOL my former assistant who I had canned), and St Louis fired former Shark boss Todd Maclellan.

The hirings? St Louis hired Kevin Constantine out of Everett, Rangers hired some guy named Frank Effinger (his best coaching attribute in my game is a 9, other than judging stuff), and Montreal? They hired Bob Gainey, who has been sitting on the sidelines for the entire game, and is well...like 100 years old. Nah there is no work on staff choosing to be done in this game.

Meanwhile in Lehigh Valley I have Andy Murray, Dale Hawerchuk, Jeff Halpern, John Chabot and David Marcoux---and have had them for 2 seasons. Noone seems to want them

Kopi
Fourth Line

Post by Kopi » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:09 pm

sao.phim wrote:Kopi - how did you manage Schultz+Grossman scoring so much - 50/40 - points?
Both played PP ... Shultz - Streit was 1st PP and 1st D pair while Grossman was with Del Zotto 2nd PP and 2nd D pair.
Worth to mantion i was like 5th in PP in NHL and 2nd worst discipline also (badboys in the 4th line).

MacDonald just cant produce in my game and thats why i put him off Core players for 2nd season as i might trade him...he was in 1st pair with Streit and after few games and darn 5s and 6s only i just push Shultz and worked much better.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:18 pm

Love how things are so different. In my game none of those three did a dang thing.

sao.phim
Drafted
Favourite Team: Flyers

Post by sao.phim » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:47 pm

batdad wrote:I saw that and kudos Kopi. That is ridiculous for those two. LOL. Both on the PP? And how in god name do you make PP work if those two are on it?

Yeah there are a few that could use tier changes. However...I will say this....do you really think Nashville will move Roman Josi for basically anything? No...they will not. So the fact that he is impossible to trade for is a good thing IMHO. You have to overpay to get him, and B players generally will not work to get him. THat is good, as it forces us to look for actual possible trades. Not a 3-6 dman or 3rd liner plus pick for a stud. I have no issue with young guys who will never be dealt by there teams (at least never within the confines of the 3-4 seasons played in challenges). It is helping the AI not to be stupid. I like that.

But yeah, moving forward we have lots of new people and want them in challenges, so B72 will be looking at rules I am sure.

B72--you know I am willling to help with that.

Well, my point was, that Josi as "B" Tier is impossible to be traded, because there is no way, how you can even try to overpay him. Maybe the only option is to try to swap him for Voracek or G, but Preds must add some pick at least to this trade and this they will never do, in the game, I think.
As "A" tier player he would be much more reachable, as offer for two good "B" tier guys might get accepted. I have tried to obtain him in previous challenge for Devils even, but it was not possible.
Nashville never trade him for 2nd round pick. Honestly, I think they would accept only swap for really good "A" tier player - 1 for 1 - or as stated above - for two superb "B" tier players.

I know, it is difficult to balance rules between not taking advantage of AI on one side and diminishing chance to trade some top dogs to zero on the other...

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter_Doherty » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:06 pm

Josi should be almost impossible to get though, i managed to get Brodie and he was Tier B, so under the right circumstances giving up the right assets it's still possible to get a first pairing D.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:58 pm

Quite frankly...the harder young stud dmen are to get if you are not controlling the team you are on...the better.

No way no how should we be targetting guys like this in the challenges. That is why we have the rules the way we have them. If we did not have these rules people would have superstar teams and that is not the point. The challenges should be a challenge. Incredibly hard in fact.

That being said....I still think because of the new people and new game ... we should open up a bit for a little while...one challenge anyway.

We have (i used to help out run the challenges) always refused to put restraints where we say you CANNOT trade for this player. We have just made it harder and harder to do so over time. So that the challenges are not easy.

I mean realistically what right now would it take to get Roman Josi out of Nashville in real life? Giroux and a pick? Voracek and a higher pick? 5 first round picks? yeah...should be so painful...that there is no point. Same goes for Weber and Ekholm and Jones off that roster. Should be hella hard.

Me getting that dude out of Edmonton and Brodie going to Peter from Calgary should also be completely prohibitive. Like giving up your entire future for 5 years or giving up almost all of your present. That is what Nashville would ask for in real life, and Edmonton and Calgary.

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter_Doherty » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:05 am

I agree, think it is very hard now to get a good deal for a young stud. I could make it happen with Brodie because i didn't just give up my scraps, i gave up a good NHL-ready prospect and a guy that scored 85 goals in 2 seasons (Akeson and Raffl). batdad managed to get Klefbom who MIGHT be a stud, but that's about it from what i've seen. It is hard because it should be hard, you need to be somewhat lucky and also give up something you might not want to give up to get a stud, which is how it should be.

I don't necessarily think we have to open up the challenge for the next one, just simplify it, maybe that opens it up, but it doesn't have to. In the future we should want to make it as hard as possible to create a GREAT team without making it impossible, i think the rules we have now make it quite a challenge but we should limit trades some for example.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:42 am

Yes, we have always like I said tried not to say...you cannot trade for this player (we called that idea the Marleau rule and basically every rule came as a result of him or Nittymaki or the first overall pick)

And who says no injuries? Voracek scores his 40th in game 70.....next shift injured for a month. This just a couple games after getting Connauton back after he missed a month. Then the next game Simmonds out for 7 days. Ugh. Brayden Schenn and Claude Giroux better light up the last 10 games or so

Kopi
Fourth Line

Post by Kopi » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:00 am

Whish i could sign one more guy..C tier..Keegan Kanzig the enforcer (Drafted in RL by Calgary but in the game his not)..would make him a project big guy. Is mobile and big and 20y old! Do you have any enforcers in your team? Rinaldo just dont win fights...J.Scott was too slow but he sure was a champ!
I like to draft in 6 or 7 round enforcers and make them project guys in a way (so they get sometimes a chance in a big league).

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:32 pm

My toughest guys are Laughton and Simmonds, with a side of strong dmen who are not really scrappers.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Post by bruins72 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:36 pm

batdad wrote:Yes, we have always like I said tried not to say...you cannot trade for this player (we called that idea the Marleau rule and basically every rule came as a result of him or Nittymaki or the first overall pick)
Both of those guys were too easy to trade for in the early days of the game and they could make your team. I think after a few challenges, it was a mark of shame if you traded for Marleau. I also remember that Ryan Wilson was a ridiculously overrated young defenseman. I remember drafting him once and then turning around and trading him in a package deal (he was the centerpiece) for Ovechkin.

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter_Doherty » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:59 pm

Almost done with season 4, not going as well as last season but still close to the top of the league. Traded Mason for Roland McKeown and a 5th rounder, McKeown has spent all season in AHL, will be in NHL next season. Also traded Erik Gustafsson and a 7th rounder for Bogdan Verameychik (2nd rounder 2017) and Marko Dano for a 4th rounder. I'm getting a bit bored with the team so i think i will blow it up during the next few seasons and aim to build from within the draft. It will take a few years to really blow it up because of the core roster but i will do my best :)

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:03 pm

I think season 3 may be my last in the challenge. Getting itchy to work with another team and play another game.

That being said I am letting Umberger, Zepp, Schultz and Matthias walk and have some room for good young guys or for others.

Klimchuk is doing well, Leier has scored 16-15-31 playing solely on my third line with very occasional times on the PP. Raffl sucked this year, scoring only 14-22-36 after going 33-40-73 last season. Brutal year for him...

On the farm I have

Alexandre Ranger my 4th round pick in 2015 who is lighting it up. 68 games 41-40-81, Joakim Nygard LW (little older draft pick) my 2015 7th rounder going 40-38-78 in 73 games and my second rounder from that year Mikko Rantanen going 16-46-62 in 74 games. All of them looking good as possibilities to step into the lineup next year. Particularly happy with Ranger, he is starting to look like a steal.

Morin is also ready to make the jump and Stolarz has been good down there 34-14-5 2.55 .922

So I say I am ready to leave this team, but reality in my head is there is some interesting challenges ahead for the next couple of seasons in developing guys. Can you believe Leier wrist shot is up to 15? Drat, just looked and back to 14.

Heading to third season playoffs and guess who I draw in 8th place for round 1?

Here are the teams I lost to this season to help you:

Regulation: NYI 3-2, StL 2-0, Ana 3-2, CBJ 1-0, Mon 3-1, Ott 4-3, Nas 3-0, CBJ 4-1, NYI 2-0
OT: CBJ 3-2
SO: Dal 0-1, Buf 4-3, LA 3-2, Flo 4-3

Wins vs Jackets 7-2, 3-0
Wins vs Isles 3-1, 6-2

The teams I lost to and playoffs:

Islanders in, Jackets in
Habs Sens Sabres Panthers-all miss.
Stars Preds-missed
Ducks, Blues Kings all in

Rangers LOL--Dead last overall in NHL with 60 points.

NHL scoring leaders:

Ovechkin only 100 point scorer (104)
Skinner and Stamkos tie for second with 95

Last year Art Ross winner Taylor Hall 79 points.

Goals-Ovechkin 57, Carter 49....VOracek with 40 and missed 16 games due to injury (Still out for a bit to start playoffs)

PIM--Kyle Clifford (now in Carolina) 230, Jordan Nolan LA 223, Scott Laughton Philly 208, Ryan White Car 192....me thinks the Hurricanes like a tough game.

Top 2 shooters in league..Nikushkin, Kucherov--nice to see forwards on top. But 6 of the top 10 are still dmen. (Keith, Hedman, Giordano, Fowler, Krug, Djoos) Other forwards in top 10 are Jeff Carter and Kyle Okposo

Guys with more than 150 shots and shooting percentage leaders

1 Ovechkin
2. Nyquist
3. Kessel
4. Brayden Schenn
5 Max Pacioretty

Hit leaders: Not one Dman in top 50.

D scoring

Kris Letang 62 points
Victor Hedman 61 points
John Carslon 56 points
Giordano Olli Matta 55 points
Del Zotto led for me with 49

Goals by Dmen

Hedman 17
Suter 14
whole bunch with 12, Streit led for me with 10

Kyle Clifford led league with 13 fights, won 7
Lapierre 12 fights...LOST THEM ALL...LOL

Simmonds led my team with 12 scraps won 8 (No instigator ejections this year---had Laughton do that)

Reeves-Stl 11 fights won 10. That is best record in the league.

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter_Doherty » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:11 pm

I felt like you after season 3, i'm having a hard time getting through season 4 but i'm almost done now, but instead of just quitting the challenge at season 4 i've decided to just blow up my core and go (almost) full own-drafted team.. Will ship one of Giroux or Voracek (the other one the season after probably) in the summer for a 1st rounder and send alot of the guys not on my core aswell (Lucic, Larsson, maybe Brodie).

Giroux had kind of a weak season for me (only 18+39 in 74 games) so i will look at trading him before Voracek i think, but we'll see

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:47 pm

Just checked on Gotisbierre to see how doing since deal. Some attrributes already up plus 1. He is 5-12-17 for Oklahoma City in 17 games. Um.....wow.

Klefbom for me has been okay not great but okay....1-5-6 on 2nd pair and no PP time in 21 games, 0-1-1 two playoffs. Across the board 7 average.

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter_Doherty » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:02 pm

Ghost is doing well for me, have tweaked his tactics alot and given him more and more ice time... his attributes isn't really up but he plays well... almost no hits or takeaways though which doesn't look great :P

Edit: On another note, i won my second Stanley Cup! Woohoo :joy:

Kopi
Fourth Line

Post by Kopi » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:20 pm

wow nice Peter! Congrats!

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter_Doherty » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:23 pm

Not expecting another SC in a few years atleast since i'm blowing this wide open, as much as i can with the core roster restrictions :)

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter_Doherty » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:07 pm

Just went through the draft and awards, less awards then last season. Schenn got 2nd for Lester B. Pearson and Masterton, Brodie 3rd for Norris, Greg Campbell won Lester Patrick, Berube won Jack Adams again!, Giroux got Conn Smythe this year. The draft went like this.

#30; Dan Maksimovich, skilled 5'11" 189lbs RW who projects as a 2nd liner.
#60; Henry Finlay, defensively sound playmaking C at 6'2" 202lbs, projects as a 2nd/3rd liner.
#90; Jaden Kramer, scoring LW with a good physique at 6'3" 175lbs, projects as a 3rd liner.

After that i picked up 2 D-men, 1 goalie and 2 centers with the rest of my picks, all projecting as 3rd/4th liners and 5/6-7th D-men, goalie probably wont turn into anything but needed another goalie in the pipes.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:42 pm

SO fairly predictable playoffs for me.

Beat Columbus 4 games to 1. (two years in a row in first round, 1st year was 2nd round)
Beat Pittsburgh 4 games to 0. (played these guys all 3 years too I think, first time was 1st round, last two 2nd round)
Beat Tampa Bay 4 games to 1. Played these guys I believe all 3 years in the Eastern Final I Think

Stanly cup defeated Anaheim 4-0

East seems to have the same standings every bloody year, except that the teams I do not get to play differently....lose to the same teams I beat every year.

Will have screenshots up once I hit July 1. Off to the draft etc.

Return to “Challenge Forum”