Challenge #36 - Philadelphia Flyers Discussion Thread

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

Kopi
Fourth Line

Re: Challenge #36 - Philadelphia Flyers Discussion Thread

Post by Kopi » Fri May 01, 2015 2:58 pm

Amm did i say i just hate MacDonald? Im trading him as what he does is just not worthed anything...im pretty sure just about any rookie can do the same job for like ammm 10x less money? ](*,)

edit: my 1st trade: a B tier guy MacDonald for two C tier guys Stephen Gionta and Mike Sislo from Devils. Will see what that can brings...Just couldnt stand MacDonalds 5 and 6es..

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame
Favourite Team: New York Rangers

Post by Peter_Doherty » Fri May 01, 2015 3:17 pm

Just went through Free Agency in season 5 and started my retool to keep the game fun for me :P Traded Claude Giroux for #1 overall pick 2018 Oliver Wahlstrom who was signed with Blues. Didn't find another trade during this window but i will look to trade Brodie, Lucic, Garbutt, White and maybe some other guys as soon as the window opens, kind of depends where i have guys ready to step in.

Edit: Actually, a retool isn't enough to keep me going with this team, think my journey in this challenge ends here :) Was a fun one though, the missing draft picks and the development speed of the drafted kids made me lose interest.

batdad
The Great One
Custom Rank: Mr Technology
Favourite Team: Syracuse Bulldogs.

Post by batdad » Fri May 01, 2015 4:05 pm

Peter-You should go one more year so you can win a challenge season. LOL :-D

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter_Doherty » Fri May 01, 2015 4:39 pm

Nah, i'm good at 4 :) No point in winning if i don't beat anyone :P

Kopi
Fourth Line

Post by Kopi » Fri May 01, 2015 5:33 pm

wow since when does the board fire your HC? I mean ok i lost to Washington at home 2:5 but still..who is the boss here?!

and this is just not funny anymore what my D does...we are in PK and they insted of push that pack far away from our third...nooo, they "pass" it infront of our goal so that opponent scores..and i get that kind of goals a lot even sometimes happens the same if i have a PP. And when the same players do that twice...

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Fri May 01, 2015 5:51 pm

Yeah apparently there is an issue around the coach firings in the game.

Anyway, I have started season 4 Free Agency off season period with a BANG.

I offered deals to Marchand and Kulikov, that were well over market value, but the deals went up as time went on. Apparently the boys want the money up front as both signed deals that were of equal value to what I offered, but with more money in the first two seasons, and less in the last two. Marchand to Buffalo, Kulikov back to Florida.

So...I started to look at my roster. I do not hate MacDonald, but I needed an upgrade on the back end to go with Klefbom Del Zotto and Connauton. Streit is getting old, and he may fall off this season. My depth is down the middle, and I wanted a young stud.

Three offers were made...let us play a game here...all 3 have been accepted

MacDonald and Couturier to Carolina for Ryan Murphy.
MacDonald and Couturier to Winnipeg for Jacob Trouba
MacDonald and Couturier to Nashville for Matt Dumba

Tried for Weber...Nasvhille wanted none of that, same for Pietrangelo in St Louis

So which of those three deals would you make? I will tell you which one I made later, once I have at least 3 responses. :-D

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter_Doherty » Fri May 01, 2015 5:54 pm

Well, IRL it would be Trouba, but in the game Murphy is a total stud so i would definitely go for him...

sao.phim
Drafted
Favourite Team: Flyers

Post by sao.phim » Fri May 01, 2015 11:18 pm

I would take:
1. Trouba
2. Dumba
3. Murphy

Kopi
Fourth Line

Post by Kopi » Sat May 02, 2015 1:35 am

@ Batdad ---> Murphy

How come that bad boys from Philly now play like saints..had in 1st 20 games of 2nd season just 183 Penalty Minutes :-D 2nd most disciplined team has already over 200 PM.
Rinaldo was in two fights and two lost....Simmonds in two and both won...and no, they didnt fight eachother! [-X

Macdonald in Devils now manage to play even worst and is avg 6.13 for 5 millions...guy should get 5 milky way bars at most! :\

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Sat May 02, 2015 2:05 am

Heh Kopi. I dumped ALL of the tough guys. And I have a pansy team that has won 3 consecutive Stanley Cups. But I am shocked I am not hated as a GM.

2 Votes for Murphy, 1 for Trouba

I took Trouba. I have had Murphy before and Dumba ....well I like him, but just not established enough for me in the game or in real life.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Sat May 02, 2015 4:22 am

Year 4.

Two guys absolutely lit up exhibition season...well 3 but one was a dman. Could have been three rookies on this team. Starting with two, and may send one down if an experienced C comes available for me in trade market later this month.

Lineup going in:

Raffl-Giroux-Voracek
Leier-Schenn-Jensen
Klimchuk-Laughton-Simmonds
Drazenovich-Nate Thompson-Alexandre Ranger
Straka

**Ranger is the kid. He was my 4th round pick in 2015 draft. Not sure how he is doing it because his attributes do not say much, but he lit up Lehigh Valley, 43-41-84 in 70 games last season, and in our ex season this year went 5-2-7 from the third line, save one game where gave him PP time (1 assist on PP). He is going to start on the 4th line for me, and may end up getting sent back down if I find another forward.

Klefbom-Trouba
Del Zotto-Connauton
Morin-Stone
Weircioch-Streit

Like having 8 dmen with this group as Morin is a rookie, and Streit is a geezer. So can play in and out whoever is not going strong. May play Streit on the wing a bit this year, we shall see.

Mason
Stolarz

Stolarz was almost beaten out for the job by Bibeau in camp (Vinny trade way back when) but not quite. Both goalies are okay to go up and down for a bit this year, not waiver eligible, so they may platoon a bit.

Still looking for another C, and possibly a LW. May move a dman for that. We shall see. But I do not have alot of D depth in the minors after trading Gotis. So may not do that.

Hopefully off to a good start here. Mason only had one ex game and got injured and missed rest of camp. Due back day before reg season starts. Phew.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Sun May 03, 2015 6:43 pm

And we have my second 20-0-0 record to start a season. What is great is I learned something new. The game does not count ex games in winning streaks. I have broken my record of 24 consecutive wins, dating back to the 2016-17 season winning 26 in a row now, breaking my old record of 24. Got a news item reminding me. What I do not know is if that is playoff games at end of year it is including when I won the Cup or if it is from reg season. I think it is playoffs, because I am pretty sure I lost one of my last 5 games at least last season.

Goal scoring on this team is totally spread out. Klimchuk 11 leads the team, Voracek 10, Giroux 9, Raffl 8, Conauton and Leier 6, Laughton and Simmonds 5, Jensen and Streit 3, Schenn and Trouba 2, Del Zotto, Drazenovic, Morin and Stone 1. Klefbom ,Weircicoch, Straka Ranger and Thompson all have 0. But none of them have played all that regularly...except Klefbom.

Trouba has made a HUGE difference to my PP so far this season. He only has 2 goals but he has 14 assists and of those points...he is 1-9-10 on the PP
Klimchuk is streaky as all hell. Did not get a point in first 5 games of year. Then scored 9 goals in 11 games, then only 2 in the last 4....well I guess that is not bad. But he has FOUR two goal games of his 11 goals. He scores once, he scores twice.

Connauton has a hat trick among his 6 goals. That game was a 5 point night for him.

Klimchuk and Voracek both have 6 Power play goals. I have never had that before. Voracek and Trouba each have 10 Power play points, another 1st.

Connauton hass 17 points in first 20 games, lots of PP time with Trouba who has 16 points in first 20. That is insane for me. Never had that many.

STreit is still doing well, and is playing some on LW on 4th line, with D on 2nd PP unit. Skating is down to 8, but he has 3-5-8 in only 13 games.
Klefbom--defensively solid but only 2-2-4.

Morin? Kid is great....1-6-7 in 14 games, with 4 of those points in last 3 games (all assists)

Only Connauton and Trouba have played all 20 games among the Dmen. Up front 6 guys have played all 20.

Brayden Schenn is starting the season VERY slow. Need him to pick things up. Last 5 game ratings *sat out game 20* 6-5-5-6-5. And he got widdled at me for disciplining him after his second 5 in a ROW. Did not bother with last one...sat him out.

Lineup looks like this, with my LW position rotating alot.

Raffl-Giroux-Voracek
Leier-Schenn-Simmonds
Klimchuk-Laughton-Jensen
Streit-Thompson-Straka
Drazenovich Nygard (LW --24 year old rookie, was my 7th round pick in 2015....older dude when drafted obviously.) When he starts to struggle will go down and Ranger up, but so far consistent 7 ratings on 4th line.

Klefbom-Trouba
Del Zotto-Stone
Morin-Connauton
Weircioch

Mason
Stolarz

*Looking for another center...wanted Mike Richards out of LA, but they freaking waived him and sent him down on October 12th, and took him off their available list. darn. He would have been a great fit for me, and bringing him back home to finish career would have been cool.

25 PP goals in first 20 games. That is nuts for me. Guaranteed that dies in next 20 games. Always does. My PP wll probably go about 8% in 2nd 20 games.

WEBER AND JOSI AND SETH JONES---each have had at least one media report about how bad they suck. Josi and Jones are new to this. Weber gets it every season about 4 times. This needs to get corrected in the game. The bigger guys that are not known as mean are getting thrashed in EHM EA ...at least the dmen.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Mon May 04, 2015 10:15 pm

Okay.,,just reached 40 game mark, I Really really really...feel ridiculous. I have figured out the PP for sure, it stayed over 20%. And with my PK and defense you can guess what happened in quarter two.

20-0-0 again. Either this game is not enough of a challenge for me right now, or something really gelled when I brought in Trouba, and Klimchuk went nuts in development. Now Jensen is scoring like a wildman on the PP as well. He is 7-3-10 in his last 10 games. ALl 7 of those goals have been on the PP.

I predict I will not score another PP goal for the rest of the season. This is just not real to me. No way no how should I be able to go 40-0.

I did have 1 win in OT, and 3 in the shootout in this period of time. But it is just nuts.

I never had this in EHM 2007. I think in the entire time I had one 20-0-0 start, and a couple of 19-1. But to be 40-0? and having started last season at 20-0 as well? I dunno. Just weird.

ETA: Traded my 2015 5th round pick and a 7th to Vancouver for BRian Boyle to fill out my C position which became very weak depth wise went sent Couturier to Winterpeg in the Trouba deal.

BTW--Couturier in WInnipeg? 8-5-13 6.5 rating in 28 games. Yuck.

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter_Doherty » Mon May 04, 2015 10:28 pm

Something sure has gelled for you, amazing results all challenge through.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Tue May 05, 2015 12:05 am

Its insanity. Seriously if I could explain it I would.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Tue May 05, 2015 12:20 am

Yeah...okay....Win 41

Giroux 9 min, Trouba Voracek 12 min. Thompson 16 min, Connauton Del zotto 23 min....Boyle 18 min, Laughton 14 min....Straka 19 min

Next game vs Anaheim.

Drazenovich-Boyle-Straka
Thompson-Laughton-Jensen
Klimchuk-Schenn-Voracek
Streit-Giroux-Raffl

weircoch-Stone
Klefbom-Connauton
Del zotto-Trouba

Overload-Normal

Draz- 2 goals 1 assist, Straka 1 goal 2 assists, Thompson 1 goal. NOthing for Giroux, Voracek, Raffl, Jensen, Schenn, Klimchuk....Simmonds scratched. Last game it was Schenn.

Final score against Ducks? We win 5-4 in a shooutout. One guy scored in the shootout for us....It was Boyle. None for them. Ugh.

I will lose eventually, just going to leave my guys in their normal spots.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Tue May 05, 2015 9:36 pm

Lost a game. Well sort of....Vancouver beat me 3-2 in a shootout. Shooutout winner scored by Hunter Shinkaruk....57-0-1

sao.phim
Drafted

Post by sao.phim » Tue May 05, 2015 10:48 pm

That is crazy record :-o :-o :-o

sao.phim
Drafted

Post by sao.phim » Tue May 05, 2015 11:03 pm

I am finishing Q4 of second season. Battling with Lightning for President Trophy. Giroux switched to beast mode again, leading league scoring and becoming player of the month. Amac went down with broken arm for month and as Colaiacovo was traded for Talbot, I have called up Manning & Ghost for replacement. Second one is doing really well, playing with Streit in third pair, gathering 7s&8s. Hope this short time with Streit will boost his development for next season as HG.

Wonder if we could bring our good performance to playoffs and transfer it to EC finals advance at least. I will play the rest of season 2 after tomorrow.

Kopi
Fourth Line

Post by Kopi » Tue May 05, 2015 11:14 pm

Sao, when i traded AMac i called up Manning as well and he is playing nicely for me...well way better then Mac was at any point!

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Wed May 06, 2015 6:48 pm

Lost game 66 in regulation. 2-1 to Pens.

Edit: Lost game 67 to Pens in shootout 3-2.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Wed May 06, 2015 9:51 pm

Regular season is complete.

Final Record 75-3-4

Losses

Regulation: Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Minnesota
Overtime-none
Shootout-Carolina, Pittsburgh, Vancouver, Toronto

Yeah....the Pens totally destroyed me. Got a suspension or injury in all those losses, sometimes both, and 1 game got 2 suspensions (Boyle/Laughton)

Voracek went on a bit of a goal scoring tear, getting to 45 on the season, and 10 of those goals were in last 12 games.
Giroux had a goal streak of 6 games in which he buried 10 goals including a 4 goal game.

I had 5 guys with at least 20 goals

Voracek 45
Raffl 39
Jensen 35
Giroux 29
Klimchuk 28

Brayden Schenn had a bad season. 12-36-48. This after 34-34-68 last season.

Jacob Trouba was a stud. Most points I have ever had from a dman 10-47-57, 7-23-30 on the PP

Voracek had 20 PP goals. Most any one guy for me by 5. Del Zotto GIroux and Trouba all 23 assists on the PP.

This team was ridiculous, but we could not reach 300 goals stalling out a bit in last quarter and ending with 292.

But man I think it is funny that against the Penguins during the season this team was 2-2-1 and lost our last 3 against them. :-D

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Thu May 07, 2015 5:03 pm

Argh. May of 2018. Wild just lose in 2nd round to Edmonton (2 years in a row they were first in West, and lost early in playoffs) and they waive....CHARLIE COYLE. Ugh. His attributes are ridiculous (20 skate bal, strength...everything else at least 14 for skating and condition stats, all offensive at stats at least 15, and all mental except aggression 12 or above (anticipation 12 all else higher, including 17 determ).

This is nuts.

This is after the latest update.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Post by bruins72 » Thu May 07, 2015 6:16 pm

Put it in the simulation feedback thread. I've got something similar from my tests to add to it too.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Thu May 07, 2015 8:11 pm

Wrapped up season 4. Screenshots all up. Not much else to say about that year. So many points out of Trouba. Playoffs went according to plan. Minnesota Wild are the new chokers having won the west two years in a row, and bowing out in first round to Anaheim in year 3 and second round to Edmonton in year 4. Nice to have to play 3 different teams. Still got the bloody Pens of course. But no lightning and no Jackets. Yay

Bloody Tyler Seguin won the ArT Ross because he beat Giroux by 4 goaLS> Not points....goals.both had 94 points. Ugh.

Trouba was 3rd in Norris.
Mason won all possible goalie awards.
mason won Conn Smythe again.

Return to “Challenge Forum”