Challenge #36 - Philadelphia Flyers Discussion Thread

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame
Favourite Team: New York Rangers

Re: Challenge #36 - Philadelphia Flyers Discussion Thread

Post by Peter_Doherty » Thu May 07, 2015 8:20 pm

Atleast you never beat me in the player stats, apart from goalie though ofc ;)

batdad
The Great One
Custom Rank: Mr Technology
Favourite Team: Syracuse Bulldogs.

Post by batdad » Thu May 07, 2015 8:21 pm

Um...look again. Only goals did you have more. SChenn 46...Voracek 45.

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter_Doherty » Thu May 07, 2015 8:22 pm

I meant over all the seasons :)

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Thu May 07, 2015 8:23 pm

Ah. yeah but my record should beat you out all over the place. Team #s. LOL. :-D

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter_Doherty » Thu May 07, 2015 8:24 pm

Yeah, i'm not debating that at all :D I'm just happy i'm at the top somewhere :D

If i win any season there is something wrong with the algorithm that counts the points totals :P

Edit: You done now aswell batdad?

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Thu May 07, 2015 8:25 pm

Heh. And I won't get many improvement points. I quite often win season one, and then nothing else because of them. :-D

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter_Doherty » Thu May 07, 2015 8:27 pm

If i had won the cup season 2 i might have had a shot there because of my insane scoring and improvement, but i didn't so i should be screwed :P

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Sat May 09, 2015 12:05 am

Took these Flyers to August 11 after season 4, and resigned as the GM. I am now on vacation and unemployed until October 31. No team in the game was without a GM when I resigned. We shall see what comes up.

sao.phim
Drafted
Favourite Team: Flyers

Post by sao.phim » Sat May 09, 2015 12:11 am

Heading for draft 2016. Season 2 is almost over.
- we won President Trophy
- in SC playoffs defeated Caps, swept Pens and got eliminated by future winners from Lightning.. :-o
- decent season, but.. I expected more
Have to decide, if we trade away Gudas and MacDonald.
Forwards core is almost ready, we freed a lot of cap space (Vinny, Umberger, Read, Grossman, L.Schenn) and added more quality players and future assets (A. Lee, Hertl, Matteau, Fiala) during this season.
Giroux gonna get Art Ross Trophy. B. Schenn had season of his life. Morin develops well, may taste NHL next season. Going to move up Ghost & Manning.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Sat May 09, 2015 12:23 am

I have to laugh. October 31 and the Flyers? (This is after I resigned) 1-7-0. Hah! Dead last in the NHL.

Scott Bonner was hired as the new GM.

He immediately signed: Curtis GLencross, Ryan Reeves and my 6th round pick from the end of July to deals.
He went to camp and released: Nathaniel Halbert, Fazleev, and several other of my late round picks including Alex Ranger who was likely my homegrown if I had continued. (Had back to back 30 goal seasons in AHL for me)

Then he signed: Zack Kassian, Ben Eager, some guy named Paul Hardy, and Paul Ranger.

He then picked up Tanner Pearson off waivers.

He sent Straka to the minors. He sent Stolarz to the minors, and then sent Ranger and Eager down as well.

Lineup looks like this:

Klimchuk-Giroux-Voracek
Leier-Schenn-Simmonds
Raffl-Laughton-Kassian
Pearson-Boyle-Reaves

NIck JEnsen was playing but got injured..hip flexor and is on IR for 24 days from Oct 15.
GLencross and Nate Thompson also on big team roster up front

D is as I would have it basically.

Klefbom-Trouba
Weircioch-Del Zotto
Morin-Stone
Connauton

Although I would have Connauton playing and Weircioch sitting.

Goalies are Mason and Bibeau.

Mason-1-4-0 2.63 .912.

Leading scorer: Voracek 5-1-6
Raffl who was averaging 30 goals per year for me...0-0-0 -3 on third line. NO PP TIME

So I was going to go in and pick up the team that was in dead last in the league...and rebuild. Um...except the Flyers are. LOL

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Sat May 09, 2015 12:41 am

Hmm. Another interesting things. I had Andreas Karlsson as a scout in Philly, was under contract for 4 more years. After I resigned I Noticed that Bonner hired 3 new guys for personnel. But no other guys left. I knew I needed one scout to fill out the 15, but not three. So I look....Karlsson is gone, but no transaction and nothing in his history. Just let go, but no mention of it anywhere. The other scout let go was Peter Tenkrat. Hired 3 guys as scouts. And did you know the game has Ed Herneison in it as a 34 year old dude? Yeah....that is one that they hired. I thought he was older than that. Maybe I am wrong. He looks like he would be a good coach as well.

Kopi
Fourth Line

Post by Kopi » Sat May 09, 2015 10:29 am

So after 40 games in 2nd season im 2nd in the east at the moment (as many of you fighting with Tampa for 1st place). More interesting is that i have the most PP oportunities of all teams and i still also dont get many Penatly minutes. Rinaldo 5 fight 5 losses! Simmonds 3 fight 3 wins ... Really looking for a 4th liner to replace Rinaldo and can win some fights..cant have an enforcer like that...Grossmann and Schultz are far from stats they use to be but thats ok as i dont play them PP (only Schultz at 2nd pair of PP). Insted of AMac i promote up Manning and not doing so bad compering to Mac as he has in 32 games 2g +5a=7p ... Mac in 22 games at Devils now 2 assits only with 6.23 rating.

edit: Cant belive it what i just saw...Ovechkin score with slapshot from a line of his goalie all over the ice rink and score on Mason in 2nd third. :rant:

sao.phim
Drafted

Post by sao.phim » Sun May 17, 2015 12:55 pm

It looks I will be able to finish seasons 3 and 4 before the scheduled end of this challenge. Wish more people stick with this challenge longer. But, anyway..

Currently finished Q2 of Season 3, leading EC. Team seams working quite well, but I am not able to get results like batdad or PD. Especially not without Streit, who went down for more than month and Voracek, who was NHL leading scorer, but got injured for two weeks.

But finally my farm team is making better results, this season they are loaded with talent:
D-core: Morin, Sanheim, Hagg, Friedman, Petterson, G. Carlsson, Alt
Forwards: Cousins, O. Lindberg, Goulbourne, Fazleev, Fiala, Matteau, Straka, Aube-Kubel, Leier, O. Lindbom, Forsbacka-Karlsson, Duclair..
Heavy offensive machine. Nobody outstounding, but almost everybody producing some points. Currently sitting on 2nd place in the Conference.

sao.phim
Drafted

Post by sao.phim » Sun May 24, 2015 12:09 pm

Going in the finish of Season 3, currently waiting for our opponent being decided for Eastern Conference finals - from TB/DET.
Won President's Trophy (123 pts, second TB had 116 pts), Voracek should snap Art Ross in last moment (42+54) jumping over Perron (PIT 35+61).
Blackhawks, Rangers, Bruins, Islanders have not qualified to playoffs.
Senators dead-last in the league with 46 points only.
McDavid improved to 46 pts (14+32), but Sabres ended with 77 pts only.
Eichel lead Coyotes into playoffs from 3rd place in the West (62 pts - 23+39, plus 24!).
The only trade we made this season was Gudas for Cody Ceci in July. Ghost+Manning are playing in our 3rd D-pair so far quite well.

In the first round of playoffs we fought hard and long battle against Hurricanes, but finally defeated them 4-3 (despite losing 0-2 and 2-3).
In the second round we beat Penguins 4-1.

During run for Calder success Phantoms swept Bridgeport in the first round, now they are leading 3-1 against Worcester, but Fiala went down for 3 weeks.

Hopefully, I will be able to finish this Season tonight.

sao.phim
Drafted

Post by sao.phim » Sun May 24, 2015 5:54 pm

Flyers won the Cup in the Season 3 finally!!
My first Stanley Cup in Early Access.

In the Conference finals we defeated Tampa Bay 4-1. Then went in the finals against Predators and won in 7th game overtime 6-5 - decisive goal scored by Streit. We were leading in the series 3-1, but then lost two games in overtime, so I was little bit sceptical, when Predators scored equalizer in 3rd period. But we did it!! :-p

Despite low performance in last game of the season, our best player in playoffs was Mason, who posted 92,6% in 24 games.

Our top line lead league scoring in playoffs:
1.Giroux 35 (14+21)
2.Voracek 30 (14+16)
3.Schenn 29 (14+15)

Line up:

Schenn - Giroux - Voracek
Raffl - Hertl - Simmonds
Lee - Couturier - White
Bellemare - Laughton - Akeson
A. Killorn

Edler - MDZ
Gustafsson - Streit
Gostisbehere - Manning
Ceci/Krejcik

Mason
Hammond

Now, going to finish season with Phantoms, who are facing Rochester in Calder Cup finals.

sao.phim
Drafted

Post by sao.phim » Sun May 24, 2015 6:25 pm

Phantoms celebrating first ever Calder Cup title!
In the finals beat 4-3 Rochester. The depth of the roster was the key factor.

Line up:
G: Stolarz/Madsen

D: Morin (#1 D), Alt, Pettersson, Hägg, Gabriel Carlsson, Sanheim, Friedman + for playoffs run strenghten by Jakub Krejcik (who spent most of the season in Flyers as #7) and Jesper Lindgren (arrival from juniors just for finals with Rochester)

F: Cousins (#1 Center), Aube-Kubel, O. Lindberg, Forsbacka-Karlsson, Duclair (traded for A. MacDonald after Season 2 and did very well, best scorer in playoffs), Kevin Fiala, P. Straka, S. Matteau, O. Lindblom, T. Leier, Fazleev, C. Sanford + Brock Boeser (came from juniors for Calder Cup run only and scored 2+8 in 13 playoff games!)
T. Goulbourne did not play much as he was struggling with poor fitness whole season. Following 3 players will leave Phantoms after season - C. Langkow, T. LeSann, T. Romano - as their contracts are running out.

Despite the fact, that Challenge is ending, I will continue to play with this team, because I am curious, how the things might develop.

sao.phim
Drafted

Post by sao.phim » Sun May 24, 2015 6:37 pm

Our Personnel for Stanley Cup run:

Head Coach:
Craig Berube (his contract is running out after the season 3 and I decided to not extend it on HC position despite SC win)

Assistant Coaches:
Derian Hatcher
Joe Mullen
Jeff Reese
Joel Quenneville (after the season will be promoted for Head Coach position)
Paul Maurice

We have finished the season with Averaged Club Salary 55,65 p/a, so there is plenty of Cap room for the future.

Return to “Challenge Forum”