Challenge #37 Discussion - Blowing Up The Canucks!

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

batdad
The Great One
Custom Rank: Mr Technology
Favourite Team: Syracuse Bulldogs.

Re: Challenge #37 Discussion - Blowing Up The Canucks!

Post by batdad » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:28 am

On July 1....I notice a few things.

1. Utica has a TERRIBLE head coach, and only 2 assistants, one of who is my goalie coach and the other who was terrible.
2. Hakan Andersson is available.

So signed Andersson, and created a new GM in UTica.

Went to Utica and signed

1. Darryl Sutter as my head coach. Fired the terrible one and the terrible assistant.
2. Brad Richards--just retired and has all green coaching attributes including 16 in F and 16 in youth. Looks like an up and comer.
3. Joel Otto-AC
4. Dale Hawerchuk AC

So now that team will have good coaching again. Should help my guys develop. And prevent a first round exit from the playoffs like last season.

And LOL....BUFFALO BOUGHT OUT AND RELEASED MARKSTROM.

nickflyers
Top Prospect

Post by nickflyers » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:59 am

Is it ok if I put all 0s for Game 40 Stats since something happened to my 40 stats I thought I submitted?

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Post by bruins72 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:27 am

sao.phim wrote:Bruins, can you, please, pro-long this challenge for a couple of weeks in July?
We're going to run a poll soon. If enough people want to extend it, we will.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:32 am

nickflyers wrote:Is it ok if I put all 0s for Game 40 Stats since something happened to my 40 stats I thought I submitted?
I don't think that will work. I believe the uploader looks to make sure you've got the proper number of wins, losses, and such to make 20 games. The other stats (PP, PK, and all that) could probably be fudged but I'm not sure.

I want to remind everyone... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make a new backup save every 20 games. Keep a season's worth. That way, if something like this happens, you can load up the last segment. I'm sure we're all running computers with big enough hard drives that you can spare the space. If not, get a free account with Dropbox or OneDrive. Either of those will give you enough online storage space to have backups for each quarter of a season.

stone169
Checking Line
Favourite Team: Ottawa Senators

Post by stone169 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:44 pm

Finished last in the West again, but not last in the league...so I guess that's something positive.

Finished 13 points higher than my previous season high from Season 2. Improved 18 points from last season...again something positive.

I think the biggest problem has been consistency and the fact that I don't seem to have too many defensive minded forwards. Maybe something I'll focus on in the 2021 draft.

stone169
Checking Line

Post by stone169 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:56 pm

Utica is heading in the Calder Championship with a 12-2-0 record. They'll be facing Bridgeport as they try to win their 3rd straight title.

stone169
Checking Line

Post by stone169 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:15 pm

Utica wins! Utica wins! Utica wins! Utica wins their 3rd straight championship. A lot of credit goes to Kevin Constantine and his staff, and Vancouver's amazing drafting. :joy: :joy: :joy: =D> =D> =D>

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:31 pm

Made my first trade of the 2018-2019 season. It's July and I sent Stanton, Tommernes, and Burmistrov to the Jets for Adam Thilander. Thilander is a 19 year old defenseman who was Winnipeg's 1st round pick in 2017. He's an offensive defenseman with 1-2 potential. I'm not sure if we'll be using him on the NHL roster this year or if he'll start out at Utica.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:46 pm

You really like to make deals for young dmen B72. :-D One could say you have a bit of a love on with young dmen. :-D

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:04 pm

LOL! Don't even go there! :-p

I've been unhappy with parts of my defense, especially the right side, so I'm trying to improve it.

And now I've got to try to make that deal again because EHM crashed before I was able to save. I had also taken over Utica and tried to sign some coaching staff (the pickings were slim), so that's lost too. Ugh!

Maybe I'll do it later. Right now I'm too frustrated.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:22 pm

That sucks. Crash report for Riz is a coming

I am loving my 4th training camp. I have positive reports in scrimmages about 5 of my 7 draft picks this season, and 1 from last year . Two are turning heads (my first and second) and 3 have positive reports in the game summary in my news items, plus the other one from last season as well. I also got a turning heads report about Evan MceNerny. What????

McCann also has a turning heads, and Virtanen has 2 from 3 scrimmages.

Cool camp!!!

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:29 pm

Yeah, I forgot to generate a report. I'm so used to just clicking out of that type of thing and reloading when other apps crash.

So one of the things I was looking at before the crash was bringing in some of my youngsters. Kassian didn't want to re-sign and I hardly played him, so he left in the off-season. I'm thinking of moving Klingberg to the LW and bringing up Virtanen to play 4th line RW. Also, Bjugstad seems to be getting worse and worse. I swear his attributes are worse now than when I first got him. I'll probably move him down to the 3rd line this season. Even though Lazar doesn't look great, I'm penciling him in for the 1st line. Tierney will probably center the 4th. Now my plan for the 2nd line is to bring Merkley up and try him out there. He's got a 19 in faceoffs! That should be key. He's got a nice passing rating but isn't the most creative passer. Still, I think he should work out well there. We'll see!

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:27 pm

Man I have some tough choices this season. I have already sent down Blomstrand, even though I really wanted him to make the team this year. Bowey too. Just not enough room for those two.

Right now on D I have 10 guys: Stanton, Tanev, Trouba, Hanifin, Tommernes, R. Andersson, Pedan, McEneny, Muller, Clendenning. 3 of them will be playing in Utica. Andersson, Pedan would be rookies as would MeEneny. My guess is it is those three going down, but really not sure. May deal Tommerenes or Stanton and keep one of those three up.

At F I have 15 guys, so only 1 cut left to make. Choice between McCann, Connor, MO Roy, It is likely going to be one of McCann and Connor. I have lots of C and not enough on the wings.

Wow..the Jets are making some interesting decisions as we head through exhibition games. ON waivers: Burmistrov, Grigorenko, Raffl. They still have Daniel, but it appears Henrik is gone. He is unsigned at age 38. The defense on this team? Kulikov, Kylington, Zadorov, Theodore, Robak, Mike Green. Think that team can move the puck? wow.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:42 pm

Ladies and gentlemen, I am pleased to introduce your 2018-19 Vancouver Canucks, and Utica Comets

Vancouver Canucks

Sven Bartschi-Joel Eriksson Ek-Nicklas Jensen
Hunter Shinkaruk-Mark Scheifele-Jeremy Morin
Brock Nelson-Nicolas Petan-Linden Vey
Bo Horvat-Kyle Connor-Jake VIrtanen
Marc-Olivier Roy and Richard Rakell

Noah Hanifin-Jacob Trouba
Henrik Tommernes- Chris Tanev
Mirco Muller-Adam Clendenning
Ryan Stanton

Thatcher Demko
Alex Nedeljkovic

UTICA COMETS

Blomstrand-McCann-Neubauer

That is all for forwards that I am really interested in at this point. Just the callups

Pedan Andersson are the D guys. Also will be watching 2016 1st round pick David Quenville closely

Zach Fucale

Yeah those are the dudes I care about. Hoping there is growth from one or two others.

visualdarkness
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by visualdarkness » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:20 am

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

58 games in the fourth season and now Hischier broke his arm and is gone for two months. Together with Scheifele out both my top centermen are gone.

My two top lines for at least a month will be:
Bärtschi - Grigorenko - Lazar
Saad - Steel - Yakupov

I wonder how Steel will cope with the pressure as he was in junior last year and lacks defense. On the other hand he's tearing up the AHL with a remarkable 72 points in 52 games.

Devils88
Second Line
Custom Rank: Resident Cardsmith
Favourite Team: New Jersey Devils

Post by Devils88 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:46 pm

hi, know i'm late to begin with a challenge but at least i decided to give it a try. it's the first time i try EHM:EA so i made a few mistakes on the decisions to my roster.
at the beginning i think my trades were ok, but for the last two i got in a hurry to moved away the twins and miller for a bargain....i couldn't get the guys i wanted....
at game 20 mark: except for yakupov and despres all aquisitions really don't panned out like i planned. gudbranson, lowry and cowen are average, burmistrov, trochek, lazar and lehner are busts so far.
in the season opener the canucks and yakupov ripped rival edmonton 8-3 with 5 points (3g/2a) from yaks. surprisingly we were 6-2-2 after 10 games. markstrom and the scoring of the 1st line (bärtschi/bonnino/yakupov) did really well.
the next 10 games we fell into a big slump and had a 3-6-1 for 9-8-3 overall after 20 games. now my two top right wingers (yakupov and jansen) got injured, and i try to get out of this negative curve....
draft choices:
12 - Lawson Crouse
42 - Brock Boeser
77- Joel Eriksson-Ek
102 - Beau Rusk
105 - Parker Wotherspoon
132 - Alex Dostie
147 - Ryan Verbeek
148 - Brandon Prophet
162- Cody Donaghey
178 - Pius Suter

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:29 pm

Atta boy D88. You have a big steal at #77. Kid is going to be very good. Crouse will be as well. You are doing just fine. Some of your trades are not the best, but you are ahead of the game with winning for sure.

So...20 games of season 4 is in the books for me. I ACTUALLY SCORED SOME GOALS> YAY! And even had players at over a point per game. YAY. And even had a power play not in the single digits of percentage (which I say is less than 17% ... that sucks if you have less than that)

Yeah..19.8 percent. Scary.

Sven Bartschi-Eriksson Ek-Jensen LIGHT IT UP in the first quarter. Morin started slow (Was not expecting anything more than the 2-4-6 in our first 13 games)but in his last 7 games he has 12 points. 6-6-12. That includes a 5 game goal scoring streak and currently on 7 game point streaks.

My defense is not putting up the points in turn with the forwards. Need to get them going. Muller Clendenning, Tommerenes and Trouba all have 7 points. Hanifin has 5 but his toughness and defensive play more than makes up for it. Tanev has 4. Stanton is playing as my 7th while I try to find good value for him. Solid spot for the oldest guy on my roster having just turned 29 in July

Vey still doing fine with more limited ice time as Morin has kicked up a notch. 2-8-10 in 18 games. 5 of those points on PP.

Virtanen wins all his fights.

3 guys at 10 goals already in Jensen 15, Eriksson Ek 13 and Bartschi 11. Morin at 8. Not displeased this year at all. Nelson is out for a couple of weeks, so that hurts a bit.

Demko is solid at 14-1-1 but Ned??? Wow....4 games 4-0-0 1..5 .946 1 SO. Very pleased.

On the farm McCann was doing well. Connor not doing well with big club. So with Nelson out brought McCann up. Horvat was out for a bit and brought up Neubauer. Now that Horvat back have assigned COnnor to farm and keeping Neubauer for now who is 2-1-3 in 4 games on 4th line and 2nd PP for one game.

Shinkaruk had 2 goals in first game. Has only had 1 since. He is off the PP for now with Morin performing so well.

visualdarkness
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by visualdarkness » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:50 pm

Devils88 wrote:hi, know i'm late to begin with a challenge but at least i decided to give it a try. it's the first time i try EHM:EA so i made a few mistakes on the decisions to my roster.
at the beginning i think my trades were ok, but for the last two i got in a hurry to moved away the twins and miller for a bargain....i couldn't get the guys i wanted....
You basically got the guys I traded for in my second rebuild but I had to pay much much more end up with that team.

visualdarkness
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by visualdarkness » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:50 am

Don't laugh at me but I ended up last place for the fourth season in a row. We improved slightly but after a wall of injuries hit and my goalies stopped making saves we bombed with losses like 1-7 and 0-8, despite using basically the same tactics as when I climbed slightly. It just feels totally random to me how to be successful.

This was my brutal lineup at the last game:

All my minus players:

And last and least, my standings:

I think I'll never master this challenge at all, maybe at most get to 12-13th place. How you guys do it is beyond my simple intelligence? Either I'm a subhuman or you are some kind of superhero GM's. This struggling is getting silly and is starting to ruin my confidence as an intelligent living being, beyond just this game. :help:

CeeBee
All-Star

Post by CeeBee » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:34 pm

I'm not playing the challenge but I am playing the canucks since EA came out and I struggle as well. The game on my desktop I barely make the playoffs each year and go out in 4 or 5 first round. Game on laptop I have yet to make the playoffs in 3 seasons. I have good wingers and dmen but can't get good centers or consistent goaltenders. I'm still trying to figure EA out and not doing terrible but not good either. Now my AHL and ECHL teams are winning some titles so maybe there is hope(I manage them as well) :banana: :-D

m0fownz0r
Checking Line
Favourite Team: Red Wings
SBHL Team: Philadelphia Flyers
WHL Team: Colorado Avalanche

Post by m0fownz0r » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:04 pm

Meh... I missed the POs by one point in my 2nd season... Forsberg won the Art Ross but it wasn't enough.. not much to look forward in the 3rd season; however, the boys will have another year of experience ( their stats haven't changed a bit though )

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:02 pm

40 games in the books. Well...41 now. Demko goes down for 10 days, not a huge issue thankfully, as Ned has not lost in regulation yet this season.

Good things: Eriksson Ek on way to being elite. Over a point per game. Bartschi leads league in points with 58 after game 41. Jensen is second with 52 and Ek is fifth with 44. Team is performing well. PP Sucked in 2nd quarter, and PK was ridiculous.

Highlights: Bo Horvat wins NHL POW for the first week of January 0-5-5 in 2 games on third line. Hanfin wins defensive player of the week in Dec. Ned wins Def player of month for December and rookie of month. Bartschi was offensive for December.

Utica: Sending Connor and McCann down and bringing up Blomstrand has helped them a ton. On a 6 game win streak. They were barely in playoffs but have moved up to third in the conference. Getting trade offers galore for both of them right now, and not biting ... yet.

visualdarkness
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by visualdarkness » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:59 pm

It's so annoying to tank in last place every season and luck out on the first overall pick every year. :rant:

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:02 pm

YOu get the first pick every year? Awesome dude. That is HF Boards at its best!!! :-D

visualdarkness
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by visualdarkness » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:35 pm

batdad wrote:YOu get the first pick every year? Awesome dude. That is HF Boards at its best!!! :-D
Oh, I meant that I got the second pick every year. Sharks stole the first this year but took the player I didn't want anyway so :razz: them!

Made a cleaning of the house now and my team is now all about skill and offence. Puck possession game!

Jenner, Kassian, Percy, Musil, Saad, Girgensons
for
Shea Theodore, Leufvenius

Overpayment but both Saad and Girgensons were crying for trades and I finally got a nr1 offensive Dman for the first time. Theodore scored 48 points last season and is a good playmaker. Leufvenius is a 20 year old 2-3 line potential sophomore that had a steady rookie year, now my only truly defensive center.

Theodore - Pokka (they should be great at moving the puck)
Day - Andersson (My drafted physical combo)
Petrovic - Hill (Petrovic is a shooter and Hill got 19 in passing)
Lindbohm (Defensive specialist)

Bärtschi - Hischer - Lazar (Should be a steady scoring line with the always great Bärtchi, the sophomore playmaker Hischer and scoring Lazar)
Steel - Scheifele - Yakupov (The two-way playmaker Scheifele surrounded by two puck magicians, might get too puck-hogging)
Shinkaruk - Grigorenko - Görtz (I'm giving Shink a second chance after what people written in this thread. Two puck-hoggers and my best shooter in Görtz)
Horvat - Leufvenius - Blomstrand (Lured Blomstrand back from Sweden, I hope it goes well. Leufvenius is only 20 years old but had a nice defensive rookie year in Nashville)
McCann (doesn't seem ready even at 23)

Why didn't I draft that Eriksson-Ek guy? He is insane!

Return to “Challenge Forum”