Challenge #37 Discussion - Blowing Up The Canucks!

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

batdad
The Great One
Custom Rank: Mr Technology
Favourite Team: Syracuse Bulldogs.

Re: Challenge #37 Discussion - Blowing Up The Canucks!

Post by batdad » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:41 am

Season 4. 60 games in. Bartschi had a tough last 5 games, and got injured in that area for 10 days. Needs a break anyway so this is good for him. Lost his NHL point lead to that Nicushkin guy in Dallas. Jensen started to score again last 5 games after struggling for a bit. Morin had another streak, and is actually almost at a point per game.

Connor came up when Bartschi, Eriksson Ek and Nelson were all out of lineup and he scored 2-3-5 in 3 games. Seems he wants to play here. But then the last 2 games..nothing. Out of lineup.

Horvat playing well. Getting some PP time as well as PK.

We shall see....things are going well but team has slowed a bit last little while.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Post by bruins72 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:18 pm

So I've been busy and hadn't had the chance to move forward on season 4. I reloaded after that crash and made the trade for Thilander but they did it for Stanton and Tommernes (nothing extra). I sent Jordan Weal (who just didn't work out for me) to the Oilers for Mikko Rantanen and a 6th rounder. I'm planning for Merkley and Virtanen to be on the team, for better or worse this year. That means I have to trade Burmistrov still (another center acquisition that didn't work out). I'm also thinking Jesper Lindgren might be ready for the NHL. My thinking is to possibly trade Sbisa. He's done okay for me, putting up 40-50 point each season. He's just too slow though. Lindgren isn't much defensively but he's fast and has really nice passing skills. So here's the rub, my defense is looking very young. If I trade Sbisa, that leaves Weber as my only defenseman over 24.

Here's how my defense is shaking out (ages in parenthesis)...
Savage (23) - Weber (29)
Werenski (21) - Lindgren (21)
Chychrun (20) - Thilander (19)

My extra defenseman would be Lindbohm (24). That's a bit scary. Wikstrand and Leslie would have to pass through waivers. I'm not sure if they'll clear or not but they're not good enough to make my team.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:00 pm

Yeah the youhtfulness of the defense you have is why I have not deal Tommernes, Tanev and Stanton. Wanted that experience. One of them will go before next season. Think Stanton, but Tanev has an outside shot. Tommernes has done very well for me, so likely will not be him.

My D ages

Stanton 29
Tanev 28
Tommernes 27
Clendenning 26
Trouba 25
Muller 23
Hanifin 22

I have Quenville 20, Pedan 25 Bowey 23 and Andersson 22 waiting for their shots. Pedan has done well for me in his limited call up action, getting in 5 games last year and a 7.2 AvR.
I have been lucky in this season and had no dman injuries so noone has got the call. But it would likely be Pedan getting the chance if I did. Andersson and Bowey maybe.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:14 pm

I hated Clendenning. Traded him last season for another young defenseman that's in the AHL right now (Lindholm... not to be confused with Lindbohm). Tanev was traded last season for Werenski, who spent most of the season in Utica but then played well in the last few games of the season when called up and then played decent throughout the playoffs. Tommernes never made it to my NHL roster. He started off in the AHL and never impressed me enough to bring up. I've got 20 year old Josh Anderson going into his first season in the AHL. He looks like he'll be a good defensive defenseman. My scouts say he'll be top pairing guy either like Edler or Erik Johnson.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:06 pm

Clendenning has been streaky for me. But he has done well on third pair and 2nd PP. He made the all rookie team in season 3, and in season 4 he is 3-27-30 in 58 games. A point every second game, and is plus 31. So cannot complain about him. Tommy is currently enjoying his 2nd full season in the show and is 6-27-33 in 63 games, with some PP time. He plays both sides for me depending on which D are in the lineup and time on 2nd pair as well as first PP. He has upped his production from last season (7-25-32 in 72 games) and his AvR is up as well. He has just done well for me. Not sure why, but seems to fit with my team well.

Tanev and Stanton are just both so vanilla. Do not hurt, do not make anything exciting help. Somehow Tanev without ANY PP time had 39 points in season 2 and has 27 so far this year. Stanton is the same kind of player, with lower attributes, and more toughness, but not much. Stanton 0-13-13. Both are heavy plus players, but not surprising considering how well this team has done.

I do not love any of my dmen. Only Tanev comes close. Hanifin is okay.

Hanifin just had a scrap and beat up McDavid in a game vs Tampa. How fun. :-D

visualdarkness
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by visualdarkness » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:38 pm

Pre-season season 5:

My all offense line-up together with the total puck-possession game seems to be clicking on all levels, except for the PK (expected). Yakupov is on fire and playing like a 1st overall with 8 goals in 5 games, 4 on the PP! :-o
We will have to rely on the PP to a great extent as we basically got almost no real defensive players, only Day, Andersson, Leufvenius, Horvat and Blomqvist. Most of the rest aren't even backchecking!

Edit: First regular season game done, beat the Sharks 4-1! Yakupov with a hattrick :notworthy:

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:16 pm

Hmmm... as pre-season is winding up I'm wondering if Nick Merkley is truly ready for the NHL. He's winning 63% of his faceoffs but in 7 preseason games he's had only 1 assist and is a -3. In his defense, one of his wingers (Silfverberg) was playing in the World Cup for most of those games. I'm going to try him at 3rd line and 2nd PP unit and see how he does. Hopefully I won't ruin him.

Klingberg (my extra forward) is out for a few week due to an injury, so he's allowing me some time to make a decision on some players. I waived Burmistrov during that time when every team is putting players on waivers to get their roster down. He cleared and assigned to the AHL. I sent Leslie down days before and he also cleared. This leaves me with 23 players on the roster and 1 on the IR. I've got 3 defensemen that aren't dressing for games. Lindbohm I'd like to keep as my 7th defenseman. Sbisa needs to go. He's so slow and his condition drops drastically when he's not even playing. The other player I've got to do something with is Wikstrand. He's an offensive defenseman I picked up when I traded for Lazar. Wikstrand just doesn't look like he'll ever be good enough. I could waive him and send him down but maybe I can get a pick for him once the season starts? I'd like to get a prospect for Sbisa.

visualdarkness
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by visualdarkness » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:48 am

Finally not in last spot for a quarterly report! =D>
11-5-3 record, although with even goal difference at 58-58. PP% is bad and PK% mediocre, still decent result considering all the injuries.

I've come to a conclusion, defense is overrated! You don't need one as long as your team hogs the puck all game long.

Shanedawg
Junior League

Post by Shanedawg » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:37 am

Had to take a bit of a break, but finally made it back to wrap up season 3. The team was eliminated from playoff contention after game 77, as opposed to game... 2 the last 2 seasons. ;)

Now the remaining goal is to see if I have 2 100-point players on the team and if Lindgren can keep his points pace going. Career-wise, he is 10-91-101 in 122 NHL games with a 7.48avg.

m0fownz0r
Checking Line
Favourite Team: Red Wings
SBHL Team: Philadelphia Flyers
WHL Team: Colorado Avalanche

Post by m0fownz0r » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:25 am

visualdarkness wrote:Finally not in last spot for a quarterly report! =D>
11-5-3 record, although with even goal difference at 58-58. PP% is bad and PK% mediocre, still decent result considering all the injuries.

I've come to a conclusion, defense is overrated! You don't need one as long as your team hogs the puck all game long.
I guess this holds true as long as you have the talent to play that way :) I myself am deeply hurting for a proper nr 1 and 2 centres. I'm even contemplating trading F.Forsberg or Seth Jones for one since I can't get a deal done otherwise. Tried offloading half of the roster for Barkov, Eichel, Nylander and pretty much every other under 24 center that looks great on paper but to no avail. I think, lacking proper centers might be the root of my problems. I guess Namestnikov, Jenner and Spooner can only take you so far....

Once I finish my 3rd season, I will try from the start, on my own, this time focusing on getting proper players down the middle and getting some LDs.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:55 pm

I've got my first 20 games of season 4 logged and I've got to say that I'm pretty pleased with my team. We're 1st in the West and tied for 1st in the league. As usual, it's our offense that's carrying us. We've got the best offense in the league. We get lots of power plays (most in the league) and we've got the 3rd best conversion rate. We don't take a lot of penalties (least in the league), so our mediocre PK doesn't hurt us much.

One of my concerns going into the season was my young defense. They've been good! There's been several injuries, so I haven't been able to ship out Sbisa yet. He's actually played 8 out of the 20 games. Savage has missed 5 games to injury and is going to be out a little longer. Lindbohm has played 5 games in his place. Weber went down with an injury for 3 weeks. He's missed 8 games and Sbisa has played in his place. Once Weber returns, I'll look at trading Sbisa. I really can't complain. Chychrun has been a stud. He's got 15 points (5G10A) in 20 games, a +5, 11 PIM, and a 7.55 average rating. Werenski only has 6 assists and a +2 with 8 PIM but his average rating is only a 6.50 despite the fact that he leads the team in hits and blocks. Lindgren has been offensively powerful. He's got 2G 14A in 20 games. He's a -3 but still manages a 7.60 average rating. Thilander has been pretty solid. He's got 9 points and a team leading +10 with a 6.85 average rating. I guess Savage is still a youngster too. He's only 23 and playing in his third season with the team. He's doing about his normal. He's got 6 points in 15 games, even +/-, and a 6.93 average rating. Savage leads the team with takeaways with 12 and he's logging 22:00 minutes a game.

So I inserted Nick Merkley into my lineup this season because beyond Lazar, my center situation has been a mess. In preseason I had Merkley playing 2nd or 3rd line and 2nd PP. He struggled a bit and I planned on making him 3rd line and 2nd PP for the season but when the season started, Bjugstad took a serious drop in condition for no apparent reason. So I gave Bjugstad very little ice time and kept Merkley up on the 2nd line. He did really well, so he stayed there. Over the course of 20 games, Merkley has had some off games but he's managed 5G 13A, +5,and a 7.05 average rating. His linemates, Pearson and Silfverberg are performing very well too. That trio seems to click. Bjugstad and Tierney have been rotating between the 3rd and 4th lines with Bjugstad usually on the 3rd. Bartschi went with an injury and Jensen has filled in for him on the first line for the 3 games he's missed so far and is doing well. Virtanen is the other youngster I brought up for my forwards. I wanted the physical element he brings. He's done fairly well on the 4th line RW and has played in Jensen's place on the 3rd line while Bartschi has been out. He's got 1G 1A and a -5 with a 6.70 average rating but that's not bad for the 4th line. He's also had 2 fights, both of which he won.

So I made one really stupid move. Tom Wilson was a guy I was looking at when we started making trades back in season 1. I thought the physical element he brought would be good for the team and that he'd develop. I didn't end up trading for him back then, so he sat on my shortlist. This season, the Caps put him on the trade block, so I went after him. Without thinking, I offered them Wikstrand, one of my extra defensemen that wasn't panning out. Wikstrand was only 25. I used up my one underage trade for the season on him. And on top of that, he's really not that good and is just an extra skater for me, used only if someone else is injured. What a boneheaded move!

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:00 pm

Ouch on Wilson. Love the rest of that lineup. It is so different from mine, and it just goes to show you how things can be fun and different.

Of all the players you mentioned in your post above that are on your team....I have only Jensen Virtanen and Bartschi.

Regular Season of year 4 is in the books. I got Chicago for the 2nd year in a row in the first round. THeir first line scares me. I beat them in all of our games this year.

3-2, 5-2, 5-2.

Stat lines for those three games

Teravainen 2-2-4
Toews 1-4-5
Kane 4-1-5

So yeah that line scored all of their goals against me save for one.

EDit: LOL Messed up those numbers looking through and adding in head after all 3 individual games.

Teemu 2-2-4 (got him right anyway)
Toews 1-3-4
Kane 2-3-5

kennec
Top Prospect

Post by kennec » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:58 pm

i been busy with work last week.

Whut keepers do everyone use and how do they perform and how much do they play?

i have made a trade for another keeper and my team is going much better. My tactic is when a keeper loose a game he gets replaced for the other. that way i keep em between 30-50 games each per seson with nice AVr.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:10 pm

I think Markstrom or Eriksson might have been the better of the goalies we started out with under contract. Lack stunk. Batdad made these guys work for him. Most of us just signed our young goalie prospect Demko around season 2 or 3.

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame
Favourite Team: New York Rangers

Post by Peter_Doherty » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:18 pm

Yeah, Demko is a stud and i have used him from season 3 onwards (actually from playoffs season 2).

Edit: I've been slacking somewhat and haven't played EHM in a while, will get back into season 5 soon enough :)

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:00 am

D-E-M-K-O. S-T-U-D!!!

I used Lack/Markstrom season 1. Season 2 Markstrom/Lack. Season 3 Markstrom/Demko Season 4 Demko/Nedelkjovic

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:16 am

Playoffs

Round 1 defeat Hawks 4-0
Round 2 defeat Flames 4-1
Round 3 defeat Predators 4-1

And here is the shocker...Stanley Cup Final.

Vancouver vs....... yeah Tampa.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:56 am

Took down TBL 4-1.

Final game scoring:

Shinkaruk (Vey, Scheifele) pp
Vey (Shinkaruk, Rakell)
Nelson (Eriksson Ek, Vey)

yeah...Linden again.

My leading scorer in the playoffs was HUNTER SHINKARUK. 8-10-18. Vey was tied for second in goals and points 6 and 14.

Bartschi and Jensen both had weak playoffs after ridiculously good regular seasons.

Conn Smythe will absolutely be Thatcher Demko.

Season 4 is done...will be making some off season moves and the draft is a coming.

cecede123
TBL Rosters Researcher
Favourite Team: Montreal Canadiens

Post by cecede123 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:57 am

Could be my strongest two minutes and a half in my EHM career :P

stone169
Checking Line
Favourite Team: Ottawa Senators

Post by stone169 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:07 pm

Holy Geez Sawchenko sucks. As much as I would love to play Demko every single game, I can't. Whenever I give Sawchenko a start, you never know what's going to happen other than it's going to be a high scoring game.

stone169
Checking Line
Favourite Team: Ottawa Senators

Post by stone169 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:57 pm

Well, for the first time in this challenge I've actually reached 20 wins before reaching 20 losses and it only took me 36 games to do it.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:38 pm

Draft done. This was the LW draft. Every time I looked up scouts wanted me to take another LW. I could have drafted 8.

Made two trades. After searching and searching to get value for Scheifele, Rakell, Stanton....and trying to do something a bit different, I could not make things happen.

So...

Rickard Rakell goes to Florida in exchange for everyone's favourite Dman ---Zach Werenski.
Ryan Stanton goes to Washington for a 2nd round pick.

That is all for now. Off to July 1.

watts555
Minor League
Favourite Team: Toronto Maple Leafs

Post by watts555 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:47 am

I am thinking of pulling the trigger on a trade for Aaron Ekblad.. For Demko . I have Ville Husse as a possible starter, and am looking to bring in someone else in a trade. Do you think I should pull the trigger on this? Or is Demko priceless?

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame
Favourite Team: New York Rangers

Post by Peter_Doherty » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:49 am

I know i wouldn't trade Demko atleast, a good goalie seems too important in this game for everyone except batdad who could probably get Vezina with a random AHL goalie :)

watts555
Minor League
Favourite Team: Toronto Maple Leafs

Post by watts555 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:02 am

Peter_Doherty wrote:I know i wouldn't trade Demko atleast, a good goalie seems too important in this game for everyone except batdad who could probably get Vezina with a random AHL goalie :)
I decided not to do the trade. However, I was able to make an amazing trade (in my eyes) . I got Rasmus Ristolainen and a 1st round pick for Oliver Kyliington . I think that this deal was a steal because Ristolainen has some experience in the NHL. He has a shot and is a shutdown d-man. And I get a first round pick that I can take another defenceman. I also have Lindgren who is ready to make the jump this season.

Return to “Challenge Forum”