Challenge #38 - Shark Attack! - Discussion Thread

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Challenge #38 - Shark Attack! - Discussion Thread

Post by bruins72 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:23 pm

All Challenge #38 talk goes here!

HobsonA16
Learning to skate
Favourite Team: Toronto Maple Leafs

Re: Challenge #38 - Shark Attack! - Discussion Thread

Post by HobsonA16 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:56 pm

How do you import the save file into your game?

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:58 pm

You don't actually import it. You put it in your saved games folder with the rest of your saves. Just load it like you would any other saved game.

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame
Favourite Team: New York Rangers

Post by Peter_Doherty » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:01 pm

I'll get on this right away, should be fun :)

Edit: One thing that will be really nice in this challenge is that we have a 1C, oh how i missed that in Nucks :)

HobsonA16
Learning to skate

Post by HobsonA16 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:32 pm

One more thing, which forum do you jump to when you post your stats?

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:33 pm

Yes! We've got some talent for the first line or two. We're also decently set for defense on the right side. The left needs help.

I started my game yesterday. I made my trades and did my draft. I focused more on getting a solid defensive core to start this time. I also didn't get a superstar forward like Tarasenko this time. I did okay but I'm not sure how well. Oh and I also didn't trade for anybody I had in the last challenge (none of my challenge 37 trade acquisitions nor Canucks players).

One annoyance is that I'm in July and thought I had my staff squared away. Then one of the assistant coaches retires the same day that I hire him. And then the next day, Larry Robinson retires! Ugh!

Oh and if you're going to take over the AHL affiliate, wait until July 1st. The Worcester Sharks are in the playoffs. It's just less headaches to wait.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:34 pm

HobsonA16 wrote:One more thing, which forum do you jump to when you post your stats?
You don't post your stats to a forum. If you go to that menu bar below where it says The Blue Line and hover over TBL Challenge, you should see "Upload Your Stats". Click there and you'll have a form to fill out.

HobsonA16
Learning to skate

Post by HobsonA16 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:38 pm

Thanks a lot. Sorry haha this is my first challenge, sounds really fun. Anything else I need to know when I'm posting my stats?

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter_Doherty » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:40 pm

I think the right side needs help aswell judging by how Johnson performed in the first 2 seasons. One thing that puzzles me is how Fiala became a Shark? I can't find him being part of any deal in the transaction screen. Another thing is that a few of the players we traded for doesn't exist anymore apparently, maybe just a bug and one of those non-existant players are in fact Fiala?

I'm going to try my best to stay away from players i had in the Canucks-challenge aswell, it's more fun that way :)

Edit: It's a bit of a disadvantage to jump straight into the challenge but to hell with it, i just can't wait :)

By disadvantage i mean that everyone that starts a few days late will have the option of looking at the trades everyone else did which gives them ideas and an advantage, no real way of going around that though since it's really interesting to discuss everyones trades aswell :) Clearly not a big problem though.

HobsonA16
Learning to skate

Post by HobsonA16 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:44 pm

Also, I put the Sharks save file in my games folder, doesn't show up on EHM. Any reason for this?

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:52 pm

HobsonA16 wrote:Also, I put the Sharks save file in my games folder, doesn't show up on EHM. Any reason for this?
It should go in C:\Users\"whatever_your_computer_name_is"\Documents\Sports Interactive\EHM\games

Once you've put the save file there you just go to "Load Game".

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:03 pm

Peter_Doherty wrote:I think the right side needs help aswell judging by how Johnson performed in the first 2 seasons. One thing that puzzles me is how Fiala became a Shark? I can't find him being part of any deal in the transaction screen. Another thing is that a few of the players we traded for doesn't exist anymore apparently, maybe just a bug and one of those non-existant players are in fact Fiala?
If you look at Fiala's profile, go to History and then switch the view to Achievements (not the best place to put it). He was traded from the Predators to the Rangers in 2015 and then from the Rangers to the Capitals 5 months later. Then in January of 2016 he was traded from the Capitals to the Sharks.
Peter_Doherty wrote:I'm going to try my best to stay away from players i had in the Canucks-challenge aswell, it's more fun that way :)

Edit: It's a bit of a disadvantage to jump straight into the challenge but to hell with it, i just can't wait :)

By disadvantage i mean that everyone that starts a few days late will have the option of looking at the trades everyone else did which gives them ideas and an advantage, no real way of going around that though since it's really interesting to discuss everyones trades aswell :) Clearly not a big problem though.
So don't say anything about your trades for a couple days. I might not. I'm not sure. I know I usually feel better about posting my trades first because I hate looking like I copied someone. I often avoid going after players if I've seen someone else trade for them. That applied more in the old challenge format though. With the whole 24 and under thing, it's little more difficult to do that.

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter_Doherty » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:07 pm

Oh, now i see it, weird that it doesn't show up in the transactions tab though.

Nah it's okey, i'm fine with the small disadvantage that it is (unless you mess up terribly in the trades the advantage is really small so), it's really fun to see all the different trades and discuss them :) Yeah, we will overlap some trades in this format but that's okey, the variety will still be enough i think.

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter_Doherty » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:20 pm

Just had my first little setback, Säteri won't sign with me, quite a big setback as i was banking on having 3 quite even goalies at camp fighting it out for the spots on the team (Stalock, Säteri and Grosenick).

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:36 pm

Peter_Doherty wrote:Just had my first little setback, Säteri won't sign with me, quite a big setback as i was banking on having 3 quite even goalies at camp fighting it out for the spots on the team (Stalock, Säteri and Grosenick).
Yup! That one bummed me out. The board wouldn't let me offer him as much as he wanted and then he said he was staying put and not coming to North America. I was really hoping to get him. I missed the transfer window to bring Grosenick over too. I didn't look at unsigned prospects (other than expiring rights) until July 1st. He'll be over for season 2.

Here are my trades. Obviously, my trades start in June. The others were made before taking over.

TRADES

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter_Doherty » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:57 pm

Yeah, same here. Could only give him 925k per year and he wanted 1.15, still don't think i will trade for a goalie but we'll see.

Edit: Is dropbox very slow today or is my internet acting up? I can't see your print, it just won't load for me.

Edit2: Finally it loaded :) You got some nice players there :)

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:53 pm

Thanks! I'm really trying to keep some of my youngest talent in the minors for as long as I can. I think I rushed some players last challenge. The Worcester Sharks could be serious contenders in the AHL this year. For defense they've got Musil, Muller, and Seimens down there. For forwards Fiala, Goldobin, Boyko, Connor, Hartman, and Yakupov are down there. My 4th line for my San Jose Sharks is pretty weak but I'd rather play scrubs there and give the young kids more ice time down on the farm.

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame

Post by Peter_Doherty » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:56 pm

Yeah, i'll keep going slow with most of my youngsters like i always do. Only ever rushed a youngster with a good outcome once, that was last challenge with Kylington.

visualdarkness
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by visualdarkness » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:03 pm

Peter_Doherty wrote:Edit: It's a bit of a disadvantage to jump straight into the challenge but to hell with it, i just can't wait :)

Well, judging by how different the trading was for every GM last challenge I doubt that it is even a minor disadvantage. How guys got players like Mantha is still mind boggling to me. :-? :dunno:

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:08 pm

I agree! I've gone after Mantha in this challenge and the last one. No way were the Wings biting. I also can't seem to get Barkov... but I always try to.

EDIT:

Thornton and Marleau don't seem to have much trade value. Marleau has more than Thornton but still, I was surprised by how little other teams valued them.

visualdarkness
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by visualdarkness » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:29 pm

bruins72 wrote:I agree! I've gone after Mantha in this challenge and the last one. No way were the Wings biting. I also can't seem to get Barkov... but I always try to.

EDIT:

Thornton and Marleau don't seem to have much trade value. Marleau has more than Thornton but still, I was surprised by how little other teams valued them.
That seems to be a big difference from 2007, oldies are waaaaaay harder to deal.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:39 pm

Honestly, I can't say that I blame them though. At this point in the game, Thornton is 36 years old with super-slow speed, nice skills, and a $6M cap hit.

nickflyers
Top Prospect

Post by nickflyers » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:07 pm

Alright I'll give this a go! Hopefully I don't make the same stupid mistake I did with the Nucks one(Game 40 Stats didn't upload, probably my fault)

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:11 pm

Just remember to keep backup saves every quarter when you post your stats!

I do this all through the challenge. Each season will have 4 saves. Then I have my active game save.

Prowl
Drafted
Favourite Team: Calgary Flames

Post by Prowl » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:34 pm

My first time doing this style of challenge so I have a quick question. Should I start fining and disciplining players with the NTC to get them to waive it right when I start?

Return to “Challenge Forum”