Challenge 39 Rebuilding the Bruins - Discussion

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

Asher413
Challenge Moderator
Favourite Team: Pittsburgh Penguins

Re: Challenge 39 Rebuilding the Bruins - Discussion

Post by Asher413 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:38 pm

Finished the 2017 draft:

1 (4): Matus Kovac, LW, 6'1", 185 lbs, HC Dukla Senica. Scouts think he looks like Palat, Ladd or a more talented Beleskey (worst scout). No knocks on his scouting report, and a point per game in the second Slovak league. No junior rights so the debate will be Atlanta/Providence or Europe for him. Slots in between Zboril and Sensyhyn on my team report, and I'm really hoping he'll be ready in a year or two to move Marchand.

2 (33): Sebastian Ahola, LD, 6'0", 196 lbs, Pelicans. Scouts think he's Dan Girardi. Looks like he rates poor in offense, good on skating and defense, so hopefully he'll be a nice 3rd Pair/PK type guy to shore up the defense. He has WHL rights, so I'll probably sign him, see if he can stick with Providence or goes down to Tri-City. 12th on my team report in potential, but I hope he can be very good as a one-dimensional guy.

4 (93) Aslan Volkov, LD, 5'11", 205 lbs, SKA-Kareliya. This is where my picks were more hopeful. Compares to Hjalmarsson, a poor man's QUinecy, and very few positive descriptors on the reports. The right side grades out great with A's and B+'s, but his hockey sense, skills, puckhandling and shooting... scary. No release clause, no CHL rights, and playing in the second Russian minor league. He has put up good stats down there, hopefully as he moves up the ladder he does okay.

5 (123) Arem Aremov, RW, 6'0", 207 lbs, Saginaw Spirit (20 years old). A poor man's Semin (who rocked the AHL this last season...). Plain and simple, you score 73 points in the OHL, with 36 goals, I have to believe you can play at some level. He far and above led his team, so it wasn't his teammates making him look good, I think. Seems to have a sixth sense from the scout reports, and hopefully that knack works at higher levels. This will be a test of hidden attributes: How far can a guy go when the scouts say he has no talent but puts up numbers? I may move him to Providence just to see if he's for real.

6 (153) Pirkka Lyytinen, C, 6'5" 205 lbs, Kuopion KalPa. Scouts call him Dennis Rasmussen. The texts of the scouting reports make him sound like a great 3rd line center, with core potential, but they don't grade his skills high. Only 8 points in the Finiish first division also isn't a good sign. He will probably stay in Europe just because I'm not sure he'll be good enough to avoid Atlanta.

7 (183) Kim Morck, RD, 5'11" 171, Mora. Scouts say he's a more talented version of Josh Gorges. A stretch any way you cut it, seemed like the best I could find this late on D. Good stats in the U20's in Sweden.

Couldn't trade anyone I wanted to in order to get more picks, so we'll see where we end up. Hopefully there's at least 3 NHLers here.

m0fownz0r
Checking Line
Favourite Team: Red Wings
SBHL Team: Philadelphia Flyers
WHL Team: Colorado Avalanche

Post by m0fownz0r » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:29 am

kennec wrote:leafsrock67--> i like your trades, without saying to much Austin Matthews and Vasilevsky will be very good :) Good luck
A little too heavy on the goealies, no? Even drafted one, I feel like you could've done even better if you had traded for anotther D or F. :-k

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Post by bruins72 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:44 pm

Please make sure to go into your game preferences and change "Attribute Display" to "Hidden" after your game updates!

Updating the game resets your preferences. And you'll also want to "Disable Human Sackings" because of the type of challenge we're doing. You should also uncheck "save compressed" because we've seen corrupted saves due to this in the past.

visualdarkness
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by visualdarkness » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:37 pm

Season three done, another bad one. Though not as bad, if we were in the West we would almost have made the playoffs but a brutal finish sent us spiraling down to 14th. My special teams are following the tradition of getting worse for every season under my control. Our ineffective shooting and a subpar defence/goaltending contributed to another bad season.

Biggest surprise is for sure Sonny Milano who scored 43 goals as a rookie (third line potential) and came third for Rocket Richard, won Fans Player of the Year, Allstar Rookie team and of course the Calder! I never get the Calder. Sprong had a second solid season. Jurco scored a solid 35 goals. Patrick finally started to play after quite a while, Brown did not and mostly played PK. My scoring is pretty spread out as I went with a very balanced approach due to more depth than top-end.

Dietz was my best defender with 41 points but both Murray and Klefbom struggled defensively. Klefbom is annoying me mightily as he is my top D in the charts and my worst +/- player.

Goaltending was the same as the earlier seasons, quite bad, so I didn't lose anything going with Fitzpatrick and trading Subban.

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy15 ... hot061.jpg

I made loads of trades before the draft, mainly to get rid of scraps and make room for my nice prospects. Got a lot of potential 1-2nd liners for 3-4th liners that wouldnt even play, cant complain. I just realized that I traded for Martin Brodeurs son. :-p

Draft was okay, especially since I got the second pick.

#2 Mario Rahm - He already was a top player in Sweden as a 17-18 year old. Checking LW that seems to be great mentally, a captain and already scored against big boys.
#37 Elie Marois - Tiny offensive 3-4 RD with a great shot and good skating. No defense.
#59 Luke Stevens - Quick 2nd LW, smart and physical.
#64 Joe Atkinsons - Big two-way offensive D, 1-2 or 5-6 according to my scouts. Bad shooter.
#67 Nicolas Ramsey - Another offensive 3-4 LD, another bad shooter.
#97 Thomas Ford - Quick allround 2nd C.
#127 Josh Williams - Flashy 2nd C that cant handle a puck.
#150 Beau Tuzzolino - Smallish 3-4 to 5-6 offensive LD. Physical but lacking skill.
#155 Joe Walker - 2nd checking defensive C with physique but no hockey sense.
#157 Pasi Eriksson - Big offensive 2-3 C that my scouts love, no defense.
#185 Jose Schaafsma - Flashy offensive scoring 2 C. Smart and physical but cant skate with a puck.
#187 Dallas Holmstrom - Just a random backup goalie as I only had four goalies in my system.
#209 William Cyr - Midget 20 year old 5-6 RD with some scoring ability.

batdad
The Great One
Custom Rank: Mr Technology
Favourite Team: Syracuse Bulldogs.

Post by batdad » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:04 pm

So...I may be done with the challenge after year 2. I will try again tomorrow. I made a couple nice trades, including Rinaldo for a 2nd round pick...lol (Which for some reason when they say he should not be on the team, the board raged about), and went through the draft. Then the update on June 30 killed the game for me. I do not have any save from after winning championship, as I usually go from save after playoffs end, to July 1 and save there. Oh well....we shall see.

Team was good in the playoffs in general. Horvat struggled, Marchand and Toffoli were beasts as was Subban

When the awards came up before the crash....Subban won Playoff MVP and Marchand was third to Varlamov.

Beat Leafs, Lightning, Caps (Ovechkin did not get a point in a 6 game series) and Colorado to win the cup.

Yeah checked...all I have is June 5th. Ugh. Oh well. We shall see...

visualdarkness
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by visualdarkness » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:06 am

That is one crash, I had about 20-30 this challenge....

visualdarkness
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by visualdarkness » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:52 am

Only two preseason games left and my team is taking shape. Some young guys taking spots for sure.

My goalies will be really young, 21 and 22, but I saw no meaning in keeping Domingue as Fitzpatrick was the same level already last season.

Fitzpatrick
Vladar

I dont like going into the season with eight defensemen I traded for Zadorov and didnt expect Aslan Volkov dominating with 6 points in 6 games and 7.83. I at least got 8 NHL caliber defensemen but the top end isnt really there. I am tempted to trade away Klefbom but I probably wont. One guy may leave though.

Klefbom - Zboril
Volkov - Murray
Zadorov - Dietz
or
Harrington - Johns

Forwards is one weird story where I got many similar guys of a similar level. I will go with a balanced approach again. I dont expect Milano to score 43 goals again though. Pastrnak is just falling down the depth chart and is now considered a decent thirdliner at best.

Milano - Patrick - Sprong
Korostelev - Brown - Yakupov
Jurco - Spooner - Senyshyn
Pastrnak - Khokhlachev - Vesalainen
Dylan Malmquist

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:04 pm

Bleh! I've been distracted with other stuff and haven't even touched my challenge game for a bit now. I really need to get going on it.

So you've had luck with Milano? I traded for him in the initial flurry and tried to use him in the first season but he wasn't ready. He's been in the minors ever since. He hasn't really wowed anyone down in the minors though. Also, I worry that I've killed Nolan Patrick. He wasn't even close to being ready for my NHL roster so I was going to send him back to juniors. I didn't have the option. I'm guessing his rights were released? So he went to the AHL. He struggled there too. He's in the ECHL now. ](*,)

I'm really not very good at EHM anymore. 8-[

CeeBee
All-Star

Post by CeeBee » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:26 pm

bruins72 wrote: ](*,)

Don't feel bad. I'm terrible with the new game as well. :cry:

visualdarkness
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by visualdarkness » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:14 pm

bruins72 wrote:Bleh! I've been distracted with other stuff and haven't even touched my challenge game for a bit now. I really need to get going on it.

So you've had luck with Milano? I traded for him in the initial flurry and tried to use him in the first season but he wasn't ready. He's been in the minors ever since. He hasn't really wowed anyone down in the minors though. Also, I worry that I've killed Nolan Patrick. He wasn't even close to being ready for my NHL roster so I was going to send him back to juniors. I didn't have the option. I'm guessing his rights were released? So he went to the AHL. He struggled there too. He's in the ECHL now. ](*,)

Milano is my nr 1 LW, he is performing so far in his second season too. I rarelly get guys to score 43 goals and never get a calder so he really surprised me. He had a great camp last year and just stole the spot.

Dont worry Patrick seems to suck for everybody the first year, I also threw him down in the ECHL. Now he is starting to look like a true number one C for me and is five stars in the scout reports. "Poor mans Galchenyuk" seems to be what he is, just as my scouts said.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:43 pm

SO I got the game to July 1.....but when I print screen and then toggle over to paint to try and paste the photo of my trades...the game goes funky and the print screen is not working...it is taking a picture of my desktop instead of the game screen. I am playing in full screen mode, and have tried windowed but it is not working for me. Every time I try and toggle the game goes to a black screen and it will not come back to normal.

Is that because my resolution is not good enough on my computer? I swear it was.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:52 pm

Not resolution issue. Print screen is not working for screen shots for some reason....but only in EHM. Works fine with the site.

visualdarkness
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by visualdarkness » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:55 pm

Download Gadwin printscreen and select source "rectangular".

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:43 am

Hmmm...any other ideas, that do not involve downloading something?

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:38 am

I think that might be the Steam interface. I think Steam has a screenshot that you can do with F12 or something.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:58 pm

Odd, as it always worked for me prior to this update. Maybe because came out of EA...but not seeing anyone else with issue...so nah.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:04 pm

This update that brought EHM out of EA added the Steam overlay thing. I haven't tried doing a screenshot since that. :dunno:

Asher413
Challenge Moderator

Post by Asher413 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:47 pm

Going into the 2017 season, I once again feel good about this team, hopefully they perform up to their abilities.

Landeskog-Spooner-Rantanen
Marchand-Kemppainen-Senyshyn
Beleskey-Khokhlachev-Connoly
Rinaldo-Griffith-Hayes
Randell

I feel really good about the first line, Landeskog was point per game last year, Spooner and Rantanen close to .8 per game, and now they all are one year older. Senyshyn is a stretch, but he had 96 points in 62 games in the OHL last season, and using the compare function no other winger really made a claim that they were clearly better. I will be very quick to send him to Providence if he falls to the third line for a few games. Kemppainen appears to have some offensive skills despite 15 points last season (6th best passer when I sort by it... of course for all i know that could be 6 passing, lol). I'm also putting him next to Senyshyn so there is more defense with the rookie. 3rd and 4th lines are full of guys who aren't doing what the scouts think they should, or keep sorting/comparing just good enough to keep. Hayes (turns 28 in November) and/or Beleskey could go if they don't perform well.

The six blueliners in age order will be:
Miller, Cross, Trotman, Krug, Morrow, Skutar, Gleason

Trotman will start as the scratch, giving Gleason his nine games. I had no intention of keeping Gleason up, but he had a great camp, so I'll at least give him the short look. Odds are high he will go back to Guelph. This group is still very blah for me, they aren't terrible, but they are almost all 5-6 potential. There are a few 19/20 year olds in the system that have 3-4 potential and one 1-2, so hopefully they will mature. I probably will consider trading for D around November unless this group is rocking.

Vasilevskiy-Subban

I need Vasilevskiy to step up. Right now he's been playing even with Subban, and the scouts think he has 1% high of a save percentage in him (that's 20 goals and at least 4 more wins if he can do it). Subban seems to be a very capable number two.

In the system:

Netminders: McIntyre to Providence again, Vladar will try his hand in Atlanta. I have low expectations for both of them, but McIntyre put up decent numbers in the AHL last year so he will fill in (Traded away Smith). Fitzpatrick is still grading out as a poor man's Price, but he was far from spectacular in the Q at 18.

Blueliners: Providence: Zboril, Ahola, C. Miller, Johansson, Arnesson, Graham (singed by Providence). Zboril has the hights PA cap I think (rated 1-2 still), but most have role potential either as defensive guys or QB's. Zboril may be the only one that has a full two way game. On the team report, the best prospects are Graham, Gleason, Nother (OHL), Zboril, Skutar and Ahola. BOth Zboril and Ahola can be sent to juniors if they aren't ready.

Forwards: Providence: Of note: Visuri, Keller, Bildh, Pastranak, DeBrusck. Not as deep as blueline for hope, but those four are moving up the depth chart and could get callups (or help me trade forwards) if they perform well. Keller can go back to Juniors. Artemov is starting in the AHL to see if his juniors stats are a fluke or if he's for real. He could go ECHL or juniors depending on how it goes.
Atlanta: Nothing to see here. Excess centers.
Kovac and Logan Brown are the only other two to make the top 12 prospects, Kovac couldn't come over this year (I really wanted to put him at a higher level than Slovikian Second division) Brown has been playing okay, but it's also harder to rate out a two way guy since AvR is so tied to scoring (or even know if he's really two way with hidden attributes).

Goals: Make the playoffs. This team was too good last year to finish so low, and being one year older I will be VERY dissapointed if we don't at least have a good look at the second round.
Atlanta:Carlo, Lauzon, Casto (signed by Providence), Fiala (signed by Providence). Very little hope in that group.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:36 pm

SO...I am still having problems with screenshots, but I have followed forward with the rules as am enjoying the challenge. This is not an easy one. This season has started tough for me and I Love it.

Summer--Dealt the following heading into draft

Hayes to Edmonton for Parker Wotherspoon and Evgeni Svechnikov
Beleskey to Philly for Dergyachov and a 4th (Phoenix)
Cross to Colorado for Nicholas Meloche
Rinaldo to Washington for a 2nd round pick (Laugh and laugh and laugh at this deal)

Draft was okay. Not great, just okay.

Lineup to start the season

Marchand-Spooner-Toffoli
Connolly-Horvat-Bjorkstrand
Svechnikov-Khoko-Pastrnak
Shinkaruk-Phillips-Senyshyn
Klimchuk/Dergyachov

Krug-Morrow
McCabe-Pokka
Zboril-C Miller
Meloche

Subban
Gillies

*Connolly goes down right away for 3 months, so call up BIldh.
*Klimchuk and my C's except Dergyachov not playing well. Waive Klimmer, he clears call up several C's 1st Barzal, 2nd Forsbacka Karlsson, 3rd Visuri, and am now on Logan BRown.

None have done anything for me, and I am looking to make a deal for one, but there is nothing out there.

Toughest start I have ever had, going 2-3-2 to start the season, and ending only 10-6-4. Not scoring, not defending, PK is only decent, PP is only decent when Pastrnak going.

Horvat...after 1st season of goodness, has been horrible. Spooner right now is barely tolerable. BJorkstrand only has 4 goals,

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:29 pm

Lots of chatter in here these days.... :)

2nd quarter season 3 is done....

SPOOOOOOOONER.....Lit it up. Was outstanding coming from 12 points in first 20 games to 40 after 40 Best quarter any of my guys have had.
Goaltending and defense were insane in this quarter....especially PK.

Made my youngster deal sending the WAY WAY WAY overrated Tye Graham to Columbus for Alex Wennberg and a 2nd round pick. Wennberg has played 4 games and is 1-2-3. His presence also seems to have helped Horvat who is 1-3-4 in those 4 games.

Lineup looks like this.

Pastrnak-Spooner-Toffoli
Marchand-Horvat-Bjorkstrand
Shinkaruk-Wennberg-Sinyshyn
Bildh-Dergyachov-Svechinkov
Phillips/Khoko

Khoko is now never playing, but he has trade demand, so cannot waive him. Too young to move til next season. No problem. Phillips is also rising to the C competition and when he plays is doing very well, having scored 5 points in his last 8 games. Connolly is still out, but returning within the next week, so some tough decisions will have ot be made. Likely Shinkaruk or Svechenkov go down to make room. Perhaps try and waive Khoko, which would make the most sense. could not get a decent centre for him in the young player trade, BUt with Barzal, Logan Brown, Forsbacka-Karlsson in the minors who have all played a game or two (FK has played 8) with me.....I may just lose him on waivers.

D is the same....Fabrro is out for another month, as he had same injury as Connolly. He would be my first call up, but the Russian kid that VisDarkness talked about above is playing well in Providence too. As are a couple others.

Krug-Morrow
McCabe-POkka
Zboril-C Miller
Meloche

Subban
Gillies

Providence and Atlanta are both first in their divisions. Providence is 25-6-1. Brown is leading the way and Barzal was just Player of Month for December. He has not done well for me in limited action though. Akesson and Jost are lighting it up on the wings. Both have 17 goals already.

Asher413
Challenge Moderator

Post by Asher413 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:55 pm

Well... I finished Q1 S2 last night, and I was sad. We finally started crawling out of the basement, but it looks like time to completely blow it up. It's going to take time to scout potential returns though as my folks were focused on the draft.

batdad
The Great One

Post by batdad » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:28 am

Q3 done. Connolly back and playing terrible, Wennberg playing like Khoko....Spooner playing like Sedin...Henrik. Pastrnak and Toffoli scoring just fine. Phillips has found a spot on the Power play. He only has 5-12-17 on the year, but in his last 10 games, he is 2-9-11 with 8 of those being PP points and the other 3 coming from duty on the third line. He has replaced Horvat for the time being on the second unit. We shall see how long that lasts.

Meloche is a good scrapper...5-6, and has changed momentum for us in all his fight wins.

LIneup is the same after 40 games, except Connolly is back. Sent Svechenkov down, but have called him up again as Dergy is injured for a bit. Subban and Gillies are basically splitting games now, as had 10 back to backs in the last 30 games. 20 of 30 were back to back games. Ugh. Tiring for the top lines and PP.

Penguins are shopping Malkin, Crosby and Kessel as we head to trade deadline. Well....they are entertaining lots of offers for them anyway. Flyers have Giroux being wanted. Just about every team is in on one of those 4 guys. So far, only little deals being made. But ....maybe deadline day?

Pens are only 4 points out with games in hand, cannot see them dealing away the studs just now. But maybe....who knows.

visualdarkness
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by visualdarkness » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:34 am

When this happens for your 21-year old second ranked goaltender. His knees are already shot.... :doh:

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:50 pm

Well that's new. I don't think I've seen that. Is that what you got when asking the trainers opinion?

visualdarkness
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by visualdarkness » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:11 pm

bruins72 wrote:Well that's new. I don't think I've seen that. Is that what you got when asking the trainers opinion?
They say that they are worried so I tried sending him to rehab. No luck. :help:

Return to “Challenge Forum”