Challenge #40 - All-American New York Rangers - Discussion

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

Kopi
Fourth Line

Re: Challenge #40 - All-American New York Rangers - Discussi

Post by Kopi » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:25 pm

still have last quater to do at 3rd season and will do it at the weekend then im retiring too....havent done long time career on EHM EA (1) since it`s release!

Asher413
Challenge Moderator
Favourite Team: Pittsburgh Penguins

Post by Asher413 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:16 am

Well, Halfway (50 games) into season 4, and they is probably all I'll get to. I would be very interested to see how we start 'rebuilding' in season 5 as I don't have many ready to go prospects, but I won't have time. I might actually save this one for fun later.

Started off very strong, but the PP has not been really working (13% or so). It feels like every season a new player decided to be a stud, and so far Bonino has stepped up to be the guy leading us in points. For the most part, I've been rolling 4 lines that I'm trying to keep even (Keller- Stepan- Barber, Kreider-Bonino-Moses, Parise-Dubinsky/Nelson-Geldnening, Milano-Cassels-Kesler Vesey-JT Brown for injuries or bad form). It's resulted in pretty even scoring distribution, and I think has both stumped the line-matching teams and kept the AI off balance. (For historical note, got the idea from watching film of the 90-91 Penguins. When they had Lemieux, Francis, Trottier on the three lines and guys like Troy Loney on the 'first' line, Jagr on the third, they just seemed to say "we'll beat you all 60 minutes, not just with our studs").

Found a good deal for Dubinsky, with the hope of getting one of the big cost players (this 65 million is KILLING me-not saying to get rid of it, but it's been very hard when it seems like the few 'good' Americans are paid 8 million each, and the drafts have been lacking), and traded for Nelson back. In honesty, I am trying hard to still play like I'm going 5 more years, otherwise I would've just kept him one year as well, but this was probably the near end of getting real value back for him. Little did I know, the board HOLDS GRUDGES. They wanted me to trade Nelson since season 1, I did, and two seasons later, the moment I get him, they think he shouldn't be part of the team. :rant: I later (after two months of hoping he'd prove them wrong... but EVERY bad loss they called him out in the news item saying he was at fault, even if he had a 7.). I finally moved him for Jonny Brodzinski and Michael Mersch. That allowed me to send an underperfoming Vesey back down- the guy has decent technical and mental skills, but can't skate. He ROCKS the AHL, but has 1 point and -14 in 19 games with the big boys. I just can't get him to work out. Keller went down too- he started off great (6 points in 9 games), broke his shin, and hadn't had a point in the 12 games since then. Hopefully that solves our depth.

Howard is streaky, which scares me for the playoffs. The blueline has been okay- but either the Average rating is still wonky for them, or they are just putting up decent numbers in bad games. All have 10 points except Kampfer, all are plus players, but most are 6.9 to 7.1 ratings, which to me isn't fair from what I can see. In general, I'm trying as we lead up to the deadline to somehow pry away a better player, specifically on the wing, and RD (I'll take LD, but I'd have a hard time sitting McCabe), but no one wants to even talk about it. I just don't have much organizational depth to trade- I'm not letting go of the future studs (Brown, Keller) that they want, and I have nothing else to offer.

It's been fun so far, but I just don't feel confident that this team is better than the team that was beaten badly by the Habs last season. Hopefully I'm wrong!

watts555
Minor League
Favourite Team: Toronto Maple Leafs

Post by watts555 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:03 pm

Where did you guys send your scouts for drafting in the first season?

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Post by bruins72 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:55 pm

IIRC, I sent them out at the start of the season and then back out again once they finished, just like I always do.

watts555
Minor League

Post by watts555 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:08 am

bruins72 wrote:IIRC, I sent them out at the start of the season and then back out again once they finished, just like I always do.
Just for the NHL Entry Draft? Did you search any other leagues or anything else to try and get certain "gems" in the later rounds?

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:18 pm

For this challenge I sent scouts to search the U.S. for players aged 17-19. I also sent multiple scouts to the NHL and AHL, plus one to the ECHL so I'd have scouting reports to look at when looking at trades.

watts555
Minor League

Post by watts555 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:47 pm

bruins72 wrote:For this challenge I sent scouts to search the U.S. for players aged 17-19. I also sent multiple scouts to the NHL and AHL, plus one to the ECHL so I'd have scouting reports to look at when looking at trades.
Awesome!!! Thanks B!

bruins72
TBL Admin Team

Post by bruins72 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:43 pm

I wouldn't take that as any great tip though. I've done terribly in this (and the last couple) challenge. :cry:

Asher413
Challenge Moderator

Post by Asher413 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:55 am

(Not that I've drafted great after round 2 in this challenge... but it's too early to write them all off)

I've been sending 12 of the scouts to America for positions (One on Goalies, Yes on avoid well known, one on Goalies, no on avoid well known, etc.), then been using the other three for cleanup- scouting leagues, teams, the Canadian juniors, shortlist, draft, etc. With the guys 'finding' the new guys all the time, I have a pretty good idea of those playing in America (which are mostly American)

Side note- the moment I say things are going well, my team is in a bad tailspin. 5-3-2 in the last 10 and went from leading the conference and league to 4th in conference.

Asher413
Challenge Moderator

Post by Asher413 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:34 am

Talk about going out with a whimper. We staggered down the stretch, I fired the coach, and we were sub .500. A last day miracle gave us home ice in the first round. After sweeping the 'Canes, feeling better about the team, then the Penguins juggernat falls in 7 to the Islanders (while that brings back flashbacks, I felt like we could do this!). Then, we go down 3-1, claw back to 3-2, and Howard pulls his now trademark playoff collapse for me. (4 goals, 17 shots in a decisive game.) Had he been average and stopped 2 more, we would've won (I think).

Turns out Dubsinsky and Yandle may have been bigger pieces than I thought. And thus ends my challenge.

BIg level overview:

Goalies: Started with Miller, traded him when he wanted to get paid. Didn't resign with Florida, signed with Salzberg for '17-18, became a ECHL GM/Head coach in 2019.
Zatkoff wouldn't resign, didn't play in the NHL again.
MCCullum shipped off for a pick and Jack Dourgthy, Sparks for Moses, Hellebuyck (Started for a year) for a 2nd rounder. All NHL backups in 2018-19.
Hlaverson became a good NHL backup, and brought in Jimmy Howard to start (who failed in the worst times in the playoffs).

Blueline:
Traded Lovjoy and a 2nd for Kesler, Traded Braun for a pick, Lsashoff(only 7 more NHL games) for a pick, Traded Leddy (who was so much better for CBJ than me) to move up to get Logan Brown, Traded Yandle to get under 65 million for picks
Brought in Erik Johnson, Steven Kampfer, Noah Hanfin, and Jack Dougherty from trades, drafted David Farrance, developed McCabe and kept MacDonaugh for my final group. Skjei still in Rochester due to Mac, Hanfin, and McCabe in NYR.

Forwards:
Brought in Parise, Cassesls, Kesler, Bonino, JT Brown, Glendening, Moses, Brodzinski and Mersch from my first 12 due to trades. Barber, Stepan, Milano from the first group, Keller and Logan Brown from the draft. Jimmy Vesey dissapointed me and had 19 games with the big club, and I had no minor league depth or hope.

Draft:
2016: Logan Brown, Clayton Keller contributed as rookies in 18-19. No other NHL hopes.
2017: David Farrance came up for the stretch run in 18-19, nothing else potential more than one dimensional 4th liners/3rd pairing guys at best.
2018: Too early to tell, but no immediate impacts. First 5 picks still being scouted as top 6/top 2 pairs potential.

Overall it was a good challenge, for a while had a great team, and I seemed to make 2 big mistakes: 1 deciding who to get rid of/keep to stay under 65 million and 2 assuming with cap space I could make a deal for a stud, but didn't have any assets to trade for him. It was fun, I'm dissapointed that the great team I seemed to have for a season and a half didn't go anywhere in the playoffs. BUT- this save will stay in my rotation of games, and I'll probably keep it going at my own pace with similar rules in place. Best of luck to the rest of you as you finish up!

Kopi
Fourth Line

Post by Kopi » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:39 am

Finished my 3rd season and last season in this Challange with NYR! Was fun and interesting. Can not belive it all ended so well. Was 3 years in a row best in regular season (well 1st and 2nd season winner and 3rd season tied with Oilers on top). Won one Stanley and lost 4:2 in 3rd season again Oilers in the finals, that were just great this year. Also have to know that had problems already getting in the finals as all games where pretty close plus with new update also players conditions couldnt regenerate that fast so almost all playoffs i had my training on resting and still wasnt helping much as players were really tired and lost Zucker during playoffs for 2 months..

In 3rd season Chris Wideman had a great season with 56 points (7g-49a) which really surprise me. Barber was not as good as i and my assistant expected so Atkinson got more chances in 1st line. At start i gave some chance to McCollum and he eat them a lot so i might over-play Ryan Miller during regular season as during playoffs his form just wasn`t as a year before when he was 2nd at Vezina.

Thank you all for fun!

braeden
Top Prospect
Favourite Team: Canucks

Post by braeden » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:56 pm

Accidentally deleted my save... 8-[

moggsy316
Junior League
Favourite Team: Toronto Mapleleafs

Post by moggsy316 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:21 pm

Does anyone have the original Sav file for this one so for me to play?

Return to “Challenge Forum”