Challenge #40 - All-American New York Rangers - Discussion

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Re: Challenge #40 - All-American New York Rangers - Discussi

Post by bruins72 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:47 pm

Asher413 wrote:Just realized I screwed up, traded for Tyler Myers (born in Houston, but Canadian). It was in the offseason, I haven't gotten to camp yet- is it okay if I trade him away, or cut him?
Do you have a save from sometime before you traded for him but after you logged your final stats? That would be best. If not, I'm going to say cut him because you never really know if trading him could work out better for you in the end. What did you trade for him? Maybe you could make a similar deal?

saberhagen83
Minor League

Post by saberhagen83 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:54 pm

Asher413 wrote:I'm usually not a great trader, but I'm starting to figure out the differences between the TBL database and the historic one I usually play- for whatever reason, the EXACT moment I see lots of trade proposals to a team for a player, I try to jump right in. Seems like sometimes (See Kessler) it's just the right fit. Another help is when teams really want a position (like have Top two defeseman and top four defensemen listed on their team needs). In those cases they seem to take players at those positions who are simply NHL quality and overvalue them.
Peter_Doherty wrote:Finding great trades in this game is all about timing, when the team is undervaluing the player you want for whatever reason (cap problems, he's underperforming or anything really) then pouncing :P
Thanks guys, will try to keep this in mind and learn to work the system. :-)

Argh. For some reason the team decided to pick up Mike Smith off of waivers! I was thinking this only happened if I go on vacation (AGM stepping in), but I haven't done that one single day in this save. Thankfully I have a savepoint from just a few days back so I guess I will have to go back and hope it doesn't happen again. :-(

Vadim10
TBL Rosters Researcher
Favourite Team: Adler Mannheim / VER Selb

Post by Vadim10 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:11 pm

So, up to the draft I managed to make a few deals.

Brock Nelson left us to join the Bruins, we got Jimmy Hayes and a 4th round pick in reward, Dylan Blujus was traded away to the Red Wings for a 3rd and a 4th round pick in 2016. Unfortunately I couldn't get anything for Ryan Miller and Emerson Etem, the two players I wanted to get rid of first.

My draft picks:
#34 RW Tim Gettinger (Cleveland, OH; played for Soo 67GP-22G-22A-44P-42PIM)
#64 C Kieffer Bellows (Edina, MN; played for USA U-18 60GP-32G-37A-69P-74PIM)
#78 LD Keoni Texeira (San Bernardino, CA; played for Portland 70G-5G-31A-46P-31PIM)
#91 LW Luke Kirwan (USA; played for Windsor 64GP-9G-15A-24P-81PIM)
#100 LW Joey Anderson (Roseville, MI; played for USA U-18 60GP-11G-8A-19P-31PIM)
#115 C Callahan Burke (Boxborough, MA; played for Cedar Rapids 60GP-15G-32A-47P-72PIM)
#124 LD Casey Fitzgerald (North Reading, MA; played for Boston College 49GP-6G-17A-23P-65PIM)
#154 LW Jack Kopacka (Lapeer, MI; played for Erie 22GP-2G-4A-6P-8PIM)
#184 C Eetu Selänne (Coto de Caza, CA; played for Madison 60GP-6G-22A-28P-68PIM)

In the last round I had no clue whom to draft so I chose Eetu Selänne ... maybe nomen est omen :D

visualdarkness
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by visualdarkness » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:19 pm

I must have a different Kreider than you guys. While he is decent on the PP Kreider destroys any line I put him on despite shooting extremely much. Getting Zucker injured and forced to have Kreider on the top two lines made us lose five games in a row. :rant:

Seraquel
Junior League

Post by Seraquel » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:18 pm

Season 2 in the box.

Overall pretty good, had our struggles, especially with overtime game, where I had 16 losses, useless at the shootout, 5-13!.. On a side note, 3v3 really needs work, dont think I had more than one or two results in that over the whole season...

However, did manage to get to the end of the season seeded 3rd in the East.

Beat the hated rival Islanders 4-1 in the first round, Jimmy Howard and OT heroics doing the trick, as 3 of the 4 victories (which came after 1st game loss) were in OT..

2nd round saw the Rangers face off against the 2nd seeded Capitals, who we had struggled with during the season, though taking most of the games to OT in the process and losing in the shootout, however, playoffs were kinder, 4-0 with last 2 coming as OT wins at the Garden.. Howard standing strong in net again, letting me win low scoring games.

Conference finals against 8th seeded Penguins, 1st game was another OT win, 3'rd on the trot in the Garden, though more scoring this time around with a 4-3 victory, 2nd game stunk and we lost for the first time in 9 games, but we then came back with another OT win, which led to another 2 wins and a trip to the Stanley cup finals with a 4-1 conference final result.

Cup finals were against the Vancouver Canucks, who had lost last seasons finals against the Montreal Canadiens, Vancouver got there on the back of their goalie I suspect, as Henrik Lundquist ended the playoffs with 1.71 GAA and 0.939 SV%.

The cup finals were pretty even, Rangers took games 1 and 3, Vancouver got games 2 and 4, before an epic 90 minute 2OT victory gave us game 5 at the garden.

Game 6 went to OT as well, but it all ended on a Yandle goal at 61:46 which won the cup for the New York Rangers!!!

In total, 9 of 16 wins in the playoff came in OT, clearly all those shootout losses had taught the players something?...

Jimmy Howard finished the playoffs with 16 wins 1.82GAA, 0.931SV% and 1 SO.

In the regular season he finished with a record of 43-13-11, 2.02 GAA, 0.921 SV% 5 shutouts and 7.73 rating.

Phew...

Derek Stephan was the top points producer of the regular season with 71, and it was Ryan Kessler in the playoffs with 23, well worth the swap with Brock Nelson!.

On to draft and stuff now, then I will take a break for a good few days, nerves need a rest!.

braeden
Top Prospect
Favourite Team: Canucks

Post by braeden » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:29 pm

Wow congrats Sera! First cup in this challenge! =D>

Seraquel
Junior League

Post by Seraquel » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:00 pm

Thanks, it was so tense through the playoffs, but a strong core did the trick I guess, scoring overall was pretty even through the playoffs amongst my top 3 lines.

Vadim10
TBL Rosters Researcher

Post by Vadim10 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:40 pm

Congrats, Sera. I can't imagine how you've done it, but you seem to have the right mixture to get that extra power when it is mostly needed. Seems like you got the best possible reward for Nelson

Seraquel
Junior League

Post by Seraquel » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:56 pm

Have a hard time believing it to be honest, I've never gone through such a strange playoffs. Before that the season was very frustrating overall, as I normally had leads going into the third, then give up goals and loose or go to OT for a loss, but it just clicked in the playoffs, I did overload my lines pretty much throughout them, to minimise the 4th lines exposure, as that was quite rotten. I had lots of injuries in the regular season, including a 3 months for Kreider and 2 months for Yandle who seems to be a very important part of the defense lots of short breaks for Howard, but playoffs were good to me, had a 3 week one for Kessler, but it was light so I played him.

The next seasons are going to be interesting, quite frustrating not being able to sign UFA's (even for the minor league team) so there's not going to be much turnover.

Vadim10
TBL Rosters Researcher

Post by Vadim10 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:11 pm

So you've suffered giving up leads all the time, too? Well, then I don't need to give up if that is what could happen later on :D Thanks for your little advices by the way :)

saberhagen83
Minor League

Post by saberhagen83 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:31 pm

Congrats Seraquel! =D> Sweet playoffs you had there, would have been fun to watch I think. :-)

Asher413
Challenge Moderator
Favourite Team: Pittsburgh Penguins

Post by Asher413 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:39 pm

bruins72 wrote:
Asher413 wrote:Just realized I screwed up, traded for Tyler Myers (born in Houston, but Canadian). It was in the offseason, I haven't gotten to camp yet- is it okay if I trade him away, or cut him?
Do you have a save from sometime before you traded for him but after you logged your final stats? That would be best. If not, I'm going to say cut him because you never really know if trading him could work out better for you in the end. What did you trade for him? Maybe you could make a similar deal?
I'll debate- I have a save from June 13th (before the trade), but I was already in August (and it was 3 real life days to get that far), so I may just cut him. It was some forward and a 2nd rounder (at work).

MWE
Challenge Moderator
Custom Rank: #1 Tom Sestito Fan
Favourite Team: Sheffield Steelers

Post by MWE » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:09 am

Am having a terrible 3rd season currently in 15th place

Only have Demko and Halverson as goalies really struggling there

I think my defence is ok but my forwards are playing terribly at the moment Stepan is injured for two months also so just got into January and I've traded five forwards away for picks which now leaves me with only 18 on my roster and nothing in reserve don't think im going to have a good couple of seasons :-D

saberhagen83
Minor League

Post by saberhagen83 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:39 pm

Almost at the 40 game mark in my 2nd season but I think I will have to take a bit a break and think hard on what to do about my center core right now. I managed to get my hands on Kesler, thanks to the Ducks putting him up on the block 1,5 weeks after I last tried to snag him up. So I got my top 6 set in stone, more or less. Traded for Grimaldi and he had a really slow start, went through the entire top 9, untill we played Panthers and he had a 3p night. Been on the Kesler line (2nd line) ever since. :-)

But my bottom 6 centers is playing bad. Have Hayes on 3rd and Brickley on 4th. They've been doing fine in the circle but unlike their linemates, they have low avg. rating. Might have to try and go back in for Clendening at the deadline (Wings not doing to well) and move Hayes to the wing again, which wouldn't fix the 4th but maybe the 3rd would get going properly.

I shouldn't be complaining about stuff like that considering we are in 2nd after 37 games. But it's not many points down to 9th...so any improvement would be welcome. Actually NEVER thought we would be right there right now. I traded away Miller for a 1st round pick during the draft. Then tried trading for a no.1 goalie, but no luck. So My 1-2 punch is Zatkoff/Hellebuyck! They have been doing MUCH better then expected.

braeden
Top Prospect
Favourite Team: Canucks

Post by braeden » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:12 pm

Holy rubbish! I just got Dylan Larkin for Austin Watson and a 2nd!! =P~

MWE
Challenge Moderator
Custom Rank: #1 Tom Sestito Fan
Favourite Team: Sheffield Steelers

Post by MWE » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:03 pm

Not doing too bad 4th season

3rd at the moment

Made a few trades Backes and Skjei for Ruhwedel, a 2nd round pick for Paul Martin, 3rd round pick for Chad Kolarik, Blade Jenkins and Philip Samuelsson for Byfuglien, Jack Mccabe went to Montreal for a 1st round pick and I got JT Miller back for Brickley and a 4th round pick.

Aladyyn
Top Prospect
Favourite Team: Buffalo Sabres

Post by Aladyyn » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:12 pm

bruins72 wrote:No Vancouver! Bleh! :razz: Plus, we did them not long ago.

Detroit was the first team that came to mind for me. I also thought of the Wild. They're a very American team but they also seem to have a lot of Scandinavian players there. I think a Candanian only challenge might be a little too easy. That's most of the league. If we did something like that, we'd have to limit it to players born in a specific province or something.

So back to the current challenge... I'm really struggling! I've played 37 games so far and only have 9 wins. My special teams are terrible and my faceoffs are killing me! I desperately need to look at Center and Right Wing in the off season. I could use some help on RD too.

](*,)
Habs with only Quebec-born players sounds pretty fun.

Jumping into the challenge after skipping a couple, let's hope McCabe is not as bad as he's been IRL lately :-D

friedpork604
Prospect
Favourite Team: vancouver canucks

Post by friedpork604 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:41 pm

First time doing a challenge and boy am I struggling.

5-13-2 for the first 20 games and I have given up the most goals by any team. Also last place in the east =SSSS. RIP

Animal31
Fourth Line
Favourite Team: Abbotsford Heat

Post by Animal31 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:38 pm

I am disgusted at this challenge

visualdarkness
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by visualdarkness » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:31 pm

Aladyyn wrote:
bruins72 wrote:No Vancouver! Bleh! :razz: Plus, we did them not long ago.

Detroit was the first team that came to mind for me. I also thought of the Wild. They're a very American team but they also seem to have a lot of Scandinavian players there. I think a Candanian only challenge might be a little too easy. That's most of the league. If we did something like that, we'd have to limit it to players born in a specific province or something.

So back to the current challenge... I'm really struggling! I've played 37 games so far and only have 9 wins. My special teams are terrible and my faceoffs are killing me! I desperately need to look at Center and Right Wing in the off season. I could use some help on RD too.

](*,)
Habs with only Quebec-born players sounds pretty fun.
I would say no to it as it is impossible to sort out eligible players without checking every....darn.....profile. :rant:
Basically the same problem as with hidden attributes but without the gain.
I would rather vote for Russian, Scandinavian, German, Czeckoslovakian or heck even Polish before Quebecois.

jesterx7769
Challenge Moderator

Post by jesterx7769 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:39 am

so you guys are going to rubbish yourselves when you see my trades. Just about to start S2 and I have 33 Trades!

the rules are pretty loose on trading this time so it seems I didn't break any. Overdid it which I'll try not to going forward but got bored staying up late w/no work tomorrow :dunno:

Kopi
Fourth Line

Post by Kopi » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:22 am

Won yesterday late at night a Presidents' Trophy in 1 season :1st: ....today doing a playoffs after work...Stepan out with injury in last 5 games of regular season for 3 months... :rant:

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame
Favourite Team: New York Rangers

Post by Peter_Doherty » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:46 am

lol jester, can't wait to see them, haha :)

pucku33
Junior League
Favourite Team: Ducks

Post by pucku33 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:16 pm

Season 2 in the books:

We finished 12th again this season, with 75 points again too.
Emerson Etem lead the team in points with 51
We acquired Kesler, Kevan Miller and Zach Bogosian before the season.
We drafted McAvoy (18), Keller (25), Texeira (63), Smeteck (91) Kirwin (96), Rossini (98) and Tufte (99)

On to season 3!

visualdarkness
Stanley Cup Winner

Post by visualdarkness » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:23 pm

pucku33 wrote:Season 2 in the books:

We finished 12th again this season, with 75 points again too.
Emerson Etem lead the team in points with 51
We acquired Kesler, Kevan Miller and Zach Bogosian before the season.
We drafted McAvoy (18), Keller (25), Texeira (63), Smeteck (91) Kirwin (96), Rossini (98) and Tufte (99)

On to season 3!
Etem, really? He is a fourth liner for me in season one and not even a an excelling one.
Keller, Texeira and Smeteck are three guys I really want in the draft too but my team is actually working out decently so I am afraid to overtrade to get picks.

Return to “Challenge Forum”