Challenge #40 - All-American New York Rangers - Discussion

Think you're a good EHM GM? Our GM Challenges dare you to take over a team and make it a winner. The Challenge Forum and Centre are the hubs of our Challenges.

Moderator: Challenge Moderators

Asher413
Challenge Moderator
Favourite Team: Pittsburgh Penguins

Re: Challenge #40 - All-American New York Rangers - Discussi

Post by Asher413 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:49 am

I'm pretty sure you can Kopi, as long as you qualified him for the rights.

This team has been frustrating. A terrible first quarter, then this team is streaky! We'll have a great 8-10 game stretch only losing a couple, then lose four in a row. We get as close as 4 points out of the playoffs, then back down again. At one point I started giving up, traded away McCullum, Potter and Braun, then the team got better. I gave in to my old strategies on the PP, and the PP has taken off. (10->13->18 for each quarter). The PK has been terrible, and it doesn't seem like I can do much about it. I guess if I can shake that loose...

Stepan and Kreider have been my first line, with interchangeable RW's (Barber, Kesler and Atkinson have all seen time depending on form) The bottom half are all minus players, so it's been tough. McDonaugh and Erik Johnson have been disappointing, -12 and -7, so that's probably hurting too. Hellebuyck has been serviceable, but every backup has not been too good. It's frustrating when I can't really find any good American goalies that aren't being paid 5 million or more, and the future talent pipeline doesn't appear to have any American starting goalies for at least three drafts, so hopefully at least one of these guys develop.

Hopefully we can pull this together. If not, hopefully we win the lottery.

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Post by bruins72 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:21 pm

I've finally got my first 20 games of season 2 completed! What a turn-around since last season. I did finish last season with a stronger second half but it still wasn't enough to get us out of the hole we had dug for ourselves. This season, we're starting off strong. I did a lot of retooling though.

Starting out, the Lightning were looking to shed some salary. They had Ryan Callahan on the block. I pounced. I sent them Matt Lindblad (26 and never getting past the AHL) and Patrick Sieloff (a defensive prospect on the left side, where I was very deep). That got the deal done! Callahan is my new 1st line RW.

About a week later, I see the Red Wings shopping Jimmy Howard. Time to pounce again. This was definitely a salary dump. I managed to get him straight up for Zatkoff. Goalie for Goalie. Howard is my new #1 goalie. My payroll is starting to get high.

I shop Chris Bourque around. He's 30 years old and a career minor leaguer. He doesn't figure into our plans. Vancouver is interested in him. I manage to get Cole Cassels from them for him. The board and fans loved that. They said it was a steal. Cassels is a nice young center prospect but not ready yet.

Looking to shed some salary, I send Ben Lovejoy to the Canucks for a 2nd round pick. He was making almost $2m and was terrible in the first season.

I had another guy that was getting paid too much. Mark Acrobello. He was making $1.25m and he's a smurf. I sent him to the Coyotes for Henrik Samulelsson and a 4th round pick. Arcobello is actually doing fairly well in Arizona now. He's got 18 points in 21 games. He wouldn't have done that for us.

I started shopping around Ryan Bourque because he's a smurf and probably won't end up any better than his brother. Columbus was interested and ended up sending my Paul Bittner for him. I sent Bittner back to Juniors.

So here is my questionable (probably bad) move. I needed to unload Ryan Miller's $6m per season contract. Howard is younger, better, and cheaper. At this point not many teams were able to take on that kind of salary. The Coyotes were actually under the salary floor. The only American player they had that was worth getting for my team was Connor Murphy. They didn't value Miller that high. I tried going with Miller and a 2nd round but they wouldn't bite. Finally, I had to give them Miller and my 1st rounder. That got it done. My board was not pleased. So far Murphy hasn't been that great but I had to make that deal to get under the challenge budget.

Since I knew I wasn't finding a new 1st or 2nd line center, I accepted that I was keeping Kevin Hayes. Hoping to spark Hayes into performing better, I approached the Bruins about getting his brother Jimmy. I was able to trade them Atkinson for him straight up. I didn't like Atkinson (notice how I don't like smurfs?) and he didn't produce as much as I thought he should have. This also shed about $1m per season off my payroll.

The Devils were looking to get rid of Seth Helgeson. He makes less than $600k per season. He can play both sides on defense. Corey Potter was making $1m and didn't perform well in the first season. Done deal for depth. Helgeson hasn't played yet this season but is with the big club as an extra defenseman.

So this was all that was done in the off-season and pre-season. About a week into the regular season I made 2 more moves. I had 2 guys that just bothered me. I couldn't get them to perform and they didn't really have roles on the team. On the same day, I sent Etem to the Panthers for Trevor Lewis and then J.T. Miller to the Red Wings for Luke Glendening. While neither of these guys have made a big impact, I like them better on my team than the two guys I traded for them. Glendening is good at faceoffs and he's good defensively. These guys are bottom six guys and I wanted their skillset to go with that. Glendening started on my 4th line RW but just moved up to 3rd line Center. Lewis is also good defensively and he's been playing 3rd line RW. He's also gotten a tiny bit of 2nd line time when Jimmy Hayes was playing a bit off.

So there you have it! That's a lot of moves! It felt strange to have made that many trades but I think we needed it. Now I can put out a team that plays the way I'd like them to. We're currently 3rd in the East (we were 1st for quite a while). That's not bad for a team that was in the cellar all of last season. We're still playing a very conservative and defensive style of game but it seems to be working for us. We're one of only 6 teams in the league that has allowed less than 50 goals at this point. We're not putting up a ton of goals and almost all of our games are close ones. Callahan has really complemented Krieder and Stepan on the first line. The Hayes brothers are doing fairly well and Zucker is playing okay on their LW. Jimmy Howard has probably the lowest GAA that I've had for a #1 goalie in many years of playing EHM. He's got a 2.19 GAA and a .928 SV%. That's not something I see when playing EHM. I'm usually all about a high octane offense. I glad I can finally get a different style to work for me now.

Asher413
Challenge Moderator

Post by Asher413 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:31 am

Season 2 is in the books. We steadily got better as the year went on, and advanced to the Metro finals. The Capitals buzzsaw (who won 11 in a row in the playoffs at one point) let us off easy in 4 games. :oops:

I didn't really use any steady line combinations, basically anytime we lost or someone was hurt/came back, I shifted them a bit. Sometimes it was the top regular line had the best plus minus, sometimes it was ask coach, my evaluation of top talent or even sometimes I tried to make 3 even lines. (Same on defense). Since I made 19 trades and have talked about some, the next big transations were:

Warner, Warren, Bourque, Braun were all traded for picks (3rd, 2nd and 1st in 3 deals). Smaltz and Sheary to MTL for McCarron (try to have some prospect depth), Megna for Kampfer (Megna wasn't very good for me, Kampfer finished the need for right handed D-men). McCollum for Jack Dourghty (prospect depth, my scouts can't decide what he'll be). Lindblad and Potter for Stefan Matteau and a 4th (Potter was going to be waived, Lindblad was AHL for life, Matteau may bounce up and down, but my scouts think there's more left in his development). Arcobello and Vitale for Bonino (I tried to get Bonino ALL offseason and season, finally got him when the Pens fell to last place. He gives me three down the middle, so we're set there). When all was said and done, I have 13 picks, and I feel better about the group I have. They are pretty interchangeable, so that was helpful when a slump, hot streak or injury came around.

Goalies: Hellebuyck did okay (2.55, 90.8, 7.40 AvR). Each backup (Halverson and McCollum I used) didn't keep up, but I'm still very worried going forward, and keep trying to pry someone loose. (In a humorous side, the Panthers took Miller from me, just signed Harding, so they have Miller, Luongo and Harding on the roster. If it didn't feel gamey (and a pending UFA who when I had him still wanted 6mil/yr) I would try to see if I can get Miller back for less than I received the first trade). I haven't found any upcoming draft talent either, so this may end up being the weak spot for the rest of the challenge.

Defensemen: This group put up points, but could not get in the 'plus' side of plus minus for their lives. Only McCabe was a plus player. I hope Leddy starts earning his 5.5 million, he's been okay, but not worth that much off the cap. I'm strangely now short left handed shots, with only 4 NHL level guys, and only hole pluggers left. Hopefully I can draft some defensive talent, but if I don't, I think I have 6 guys that will be a decent core for 3-4 seasons (only Yandle is out of his 20's).

Forwards: Kreider, Stepan, Kesler were all great (63, 61, 57 points, +20, +23, +17), Parise and Atkinson were 49/48 point scoreres, and Bonino had 18 points, +8 in 22 games, so the top '6' were okay. Wanted more out of Parise for his cost, I'm hoping Bonino will be the right center for him. Barber, Nelson and Brickley made cases to stay in the hunt, then it was a game of who's around to fill out the forwards, none of the guys left really made an impact. Contracts and demands will shape this group, with Nelson, Barber, Gibbons, Atkinson, Cassels all to try and resign, and 3.4 millon in 'challenge cap' left. I'm really hoping that I can at least get similar value/production if I have to trade any of these guys, and of course should Kesler falter with his giant contract, then he will be out the door.

Prospects: Vesey, McCarron and Cassels were about 7 AvR, but didn't really put up great numbers. Depending on the group above, one or more could be called up to take the 4th line. None of the defensement have 7 AvR, although Skjel managed a plus 21. Keller and Brown still need time.

Looking forward to the draft, I'm hoping I can make a couple of deals to improve this team, and have to remain open to trading some high cost guys if they don't perform, IF I can get equal value, or a goalie.

PaulNewman67
Junior League
Favourite Team: Montreal Canadiens

Post by PaulNewman67 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:24 am

Greetings everybody, I used to play EHM 2007 back in the day, so I thought I would get back into this, and this seemed a good place to start. I have fired Laviolette, Dineen and Mullen from my coaches, and have approached Haviland to be my head coach, fitness trainer and two coaches, both called Jay Leach to be my technique coaches, Korn looks decent, so he will coach the goalies.. The rules seem pretty strict, so I guess I am looking to heavily scout the draft first, as I can't trade. I am also going to sign all my unsigned prospects, as I figure I will be able to move them eventually, I cant move them unless I sign them, according to the rules.

Not even looked at the players, my first opinion is that the whole roster is shite.

PaulNewman67
Junior League

Post by PaulNewman67 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:31 am

Right, here is the first of many questions, I want to sign Lashoff & Bowman from Rochester, I am assuming I am not allowed to do this, due to them being UFA's despite being my farms star players.. Is this correct.. Also, I am assuming my AHL team can sign UFA's, and I can call them up to the Rangers, is this correct??

PaulNewman67
Junior League

Post by PaulNewman67 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:51 am

Is anybody actually still playing this?? can I sign players that attend an open training camp, or are they classed as UFA's?? Also, on the website, it mentioned that there are player roles, where can I find out where they are, and assign them to players, is that how it even works.. From what I can tell, this game is exactly the same, no different..

Kopi
Fourth Line

Post by Kopi » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:00 am

No, you can play the players who are under contract of NYR and are put down to AHL or ECHL or CHL and the only players you can sign are the one you have rights for.

PaulNewman67
Junior League

Post by PaulNewman67 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:28 pm

Kopi wrote:No, you can play the players who are under contract of NYR and are put down to AHL or ECHL or CHL and the only players you can sign are the one you have rights for.
Ridiculous, I may as well have a closed camp, and as for me not being able to sign my farms two best players to contracts, that is simply unrealistic, what am I meant to do when other teams come in for them, let them go and trade for them?? Pah..

Peter_Doherty
Hall of Fame
Favourite Team: New York Rangers

Post by Peter_Doherty » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:25 am

Are you implying that Lashoff and Bowman are keys to Rangers in this challenge? I resigned Bowman in Rochester and he's on my 3rd line there and Lashoff is just bad in every way, neither will have intrest from other teams.

PaulNewman67
Junior League

Post by PaulNewman67 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:44 am

Peter_Doherty wrote:Are you implying that Lashoff and Bowman are keys to Rangers in this challenge? I resigned Bowman in Rochester and he's on my 3rd line there and Lashoff is just bad in every way, neither will have intrest from other teams.
No, I am saying that I will be able to sign them, and get something for them, even if it's a low draft pick, or as a chuck in in a trade.. I think they will be of some value, although if they play a lot of NHL minutes, I am obviously struggling..

PaulNewman67
Junior League

Post by PaulNewman67 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:48 am

Asher413 wrote:Just realized I screwed up, traded for Tyler Myers (born in Houston, but Canadian). It was in the offseason, I haven't gotten to camp yet- is it okay if I trade him away, or cut him?
If he born in Houston, surely he counts as an American? He comes up in my searches as well, with nationality set to American, so in my view, he is a great trade, I have him on my radar as well, did you keep him? If not, then that was very harsh in my opinion..

Asher413
Challenge Moderator

Post by Asher413 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:50 am

PaulNewman67 wrote:Right, here is the first of many questions, I want to sign Lashoff & Bowman from Rochester, I am assuming I am not allowed to do this, due to them being UFA's despite being my farms star players.. Is this correct.. Also, I am assuming my AHL team can sign UFA's, and I can call them up to the Rangers, is this correct??

Are you talking about PROMOTING Lashoff or Signing? It looks like from my save (in season 3) that Lashoff started under contract with the Rangers. So you can "Recall to Rangers" since he's under contract, and resign him all you'd like. Now, if for some reason you released him, then he's gone. I can't find who Bowman was, so I'm not sure what his status is.

Remember, the Rangers as the parent club are the one that should do the majority of the signing. You can then do four things with a player: 1. Keep them in New York, 2. Demote them (assign in the game) to Rochester *If* they do not need to clear waivers or have cleared recently 3. Waive them (in some cases needed to assign to a minor league team) or 4. Trade them. Players who are listed as "contracted to Rangers" on their profile, or that show up when you filter "All Contracted" with Rangers are the ones on NHL (Rangers) contracts.

As the Rochester GM, you can sign players to help fill out your AHL roster (sometimes that's good for guys who's rights for the Rangers haven't expired and you aren't sure if they will make it0, or do anything you want, but once Rochester is the one with the contract, they are not able to be "recalled" to the Rangers.

I get the impression either though a terminology barrier or not being familiar with the system, you are using the wrong terms, which has led to a lot of confusion. Hopefully this helps, and as always, the guides and wiki are a great place to get some help too.
PaulNewman67 wrote:
Asher413 wrote:Just realized I screwed up, traded for Tyler Myers (born in Houston, but Canadian). It was in the offseason, I haven't gotten to camp yet- is it okay if I trade him away, or cut him?
If he born in Houston, surely he counts as an American? He comes up in my searches as well, with nationality set to American, so in my view, he is a great trade, I have him on my radar as well, did you keep him? If not, then that was very harsh in my opinion..
Part of these challenges is all playing by the same rules. Bruins sets them (sometimes it has to be an aribtrary or harsh decision), and we all follow them. Generally, they work great. I may or may not agree with them, but I'm sure he also has in mind some database errors (See Keller for example)

PaulNewman67
Junior League

Post by PaulNewman67 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:54 am

Thanks for the heads up.. I have two Lashoffs, both not appearing on my Rangers team report, so I will forget about them, and Bowman as well, I could have used him I reckon, in some capacity, I am allowed to sim games, with the coach in charge and picking the tactics yes?? I hope so, as I am going to tank in this first season, in my opinion, although you never know..

Asher413
Challenge Moderator

Post by Asher413 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:05 am

PaulNewman67 wrote:Thanks for the heads up.. I have two Lashoffs, both not appearing on my Rangers team report, so I will forget about them, and Bowman as well, I could have used him I reckon, in some capacity, I am allowed to sim games, with the coach in charge and picking the tactics yes?? I hope so, as I am going to tank in this first season, in my opinion, although you never know..
Per the rules- you have to coach all the games yourself (Under GM options, "Coach Games Yourself" must be yes.

Just a reminder (since I forgot until I was sad) your team does not have a 1st round pick the first year.

PaulNewman67
Junior League

Post by PaulNewman67 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:08 am

Asher413 wrote:
Per the rules- you have to coach all the games yourself (Under GM options, "Coach Games Yourself" must be yes.

Just a reminder (since I forgot until I was sad) your team does not have a 1st round pick the first year.
Yeh, I noticed the lack of a first round pick, I am not planning to tank on purpose, I just feel my team is poor, 28th in the season preview.. I managed to get two players, Watson and McCollum through waivers, which pleased me, I have my 23 guys now, but I don't think they will set the league on fire, but you never know.. I am looking forward to getting the AHL team sorted, those veterans in it suck eggs big time.. Iversen looks like he may be a sneaky little player, maybe..

PaulNewman67
Junior League

Post by PaulNewman67 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:13 am

sjgoglin wrote:My assumption is that if you set the nationality to American in the filter page, all players should be eligible.
Is this correct? I wouldn't want to draft Nylander, etc, who are American by filter, and not be eligible..

PaulNewman67
Junior League

Post by PaulNewman67 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:27 am

Plodding on a bit better that what I thought my team would be, 3-4, early days yet, but if I finish above 28th in the league I will be happy, my first impressions of my squad are that Brock Nelson & Accrobello are absolute pony, about time to stick Foligno in for a few games, but if he thinks he is getting 1.8m next season, then he is clearly on crack.. Trying to renew a few contracts, get a few qualifying offers out there..

bruins72
TBL Admin Team
Custom Rank: Challenge Guy
Favourite Team: Boston Bruins

Post by bruins72 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:25 pm

PaulNewman67 wrote:
sjgoglin wrote:My assumption is that if you set the nationality to American in the filter page, all players should be eligible.
Is this correct? I wouldn't want to draft Nylander, etc, who are American by filter, and not be eligible..
When you set the filter for Nationality to America, it actually shows players who have a secondary nationality of American too. And easy way to see which have American as their primary nationality is to change the "View" to "Other". This will show the flag for their primary nationality.

PaulNewman67
Junior League

Post by PaulNewman67 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:21 pm

bruins72 wrote:
PaulNewman67 wrote:
When you set the filter for Nationality to America, it actually shows players who have a secondary nationality of American too. And easy way to see which have American as their primary nationality is to change the "View" to "Other". This will show the flag for their primary nationality.
Ah I see, I thanks, I will go by that then.

PaulNewman67
Junior League

Post by PaulNewman67 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:50 pm

So, just reached the 20 game mark, 7-9-4 which is better than I expected. I know where to post end of season screenshots, I just thought people may want to check these out.

Here are the overall standings: http://i.imgur.com/GRah3XG.png

Here are my player stats: http://i.imgur.com/a3g2C5A.png

Here are my goalie stats: http://imgur.com/qAfT0XU

PaulNewman67
Junior League

Post by PaulNewman67 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:37 pm

Still plodding on, 40 games in, and I am 14-21-5. My penalty kill is absolute garbage, and I have the 2nd most penalty minutes.

If anybody is interested, here are the standings: http://i.imgur.com/qFYQg5G.png

Here are my player stats: http://i.imgur.com/F1SDt1B.png

Here are the goalie stats: http://i.imgur.com/nZArp5q.png

mark11
Junior League
Favourite Team: TPS

Post by mark11 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:04 am

I have just reach 20 games in my first challenge ever. Record is 9-7-4 and I think that those numbers are great, particularly when I'm managing the team. Well, actually my first try was a few weeks ago and then my record was 0-11-1. Don't know what really happened but after last knockout I heard voices in my head that says something like "Maybe you should try fishing, hockey GM .. well..nope..". So, I move forward and delete every save I had but some reason this challenge itches me and I had to start playing again. Now I only hope that I have enough time to play whole season and see where it ends.

PaulNewman67
Junior League

Post by PaulNewman67 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:10 am

mark11 wrote:I have just reach 20 games in my first challenge ever. Record is 9-7-4 and I think that those numbers are great, particularly when I'm managing the team. Well, actually my first try was a few weeks ago and then my record was 0-11-1. Don't know what really happened but after last knockout I heard voices in my head that says something like "Maybe you should try fishing, hockey GM .. well..nope..". So, I move forward and delete every save I had but some reason this challenge itches me and I had to start playing again. Now I only hope that I have enough time to play whole season and see where it ends.
I am not sure that this should be permitted, my start was pretty awful, but I kept at it, and never even thought of starting again. Also, I feel that if I did start again, knowing what I do know after 60 games, I would have a massive advantage..

PaulNewman67
Junior League

Post by PaulNewman67 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:31 am

So, 60 games in, and I am starting to improve my team now, standing at 23-29-8. My team is taking less penalties, and generally looking more solid, as I am starting to get to know what some of the guys are capable of.

Here are the standings: http://i.imgur.com/WgIbDp3.png

Here are my player stats: http://i.imgur.com/yxpBXu6.png

Here are my goalie stats: http://i.imgur.com/stN27Hz.png

saberhagen83
Minor League

Post by saberhagen83 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:41 pm

FInally got myself back into this! :-D So currently in the 3rd season and we have started of pretty good actually, despite a so-so october we are currently on a 5 game winning streak. That has us catching up on Toronto, who were running away a bit in the early stages. No major changes to the team this season, just some slight changes in some depth positions. One trade I regret SO much right now is giving up Hellebuyck. He is doing so well with Wild now, while I decided to give McCollum the backup spot this year. He isn't bad...but Hellebuyck was slightly better last year and I think his attributes have jumped a bit as well. Had like 3-4 goalies around the same level and I think I made the wrong move. :oops:

Cap (given for this challenge) is starting to catch up a bit now, so will probably have to trade someone of note next year...Yandle or Leddy is closest to the door, contract wise anyway. Yandle is doing fine but getting a bit older now, Leddy the more expensive one...WAY to much since he is now a top 6 guy. McDonagh and McCabe is tearing it up on the left side, so the LD in top 4 is set for a few years ahead. :-) Here are my lines if anyone is interested:

Kreider - Kesler - Zucker --> (Changed Kesler/Stepan after a few games and seems to have sparked the team!)
Atkinson - Stepan - Barber
Maroon - Hayes - Grimaldi
Foligno - Glendening - Condra

McDonagh - Braun
McCabe - Yandle
Leddy - Bitetto

Zatkoff/McCollum

Players that are in/out of the lineup: Miller (Mostly for Grimaldi who is just as hot/cold this season), Vesey, Megna & Trottman.

Return to “Challenge Forum”